Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 3,944
3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours an amber color with a short lived head that dissipates to a thin layer. Yeasty particles suspended throughout. Get big caramel malt aroma and floral hops. Taste was not what I have grown accustomed to in Double IPA's. For me it was overly malty with the hops giving a bitter finish. Medium body with adequate carbonation. I wouldn't go back to this one when there are others that I enjoy so much more. Unearthly, Double Simcoe, 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Gordon are all much better IMO.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled April 11, 2011. Im afraid I got the short end of the stick on this one. Did not realize until after I bought it that it was a bit old. I reserve the right to update this review once I get a fresh bottle.

Pours a rich, slightly hazy amber color with a bit of frothy cream white head. The head is gone in seconds but leaves a bubbly ring around the edges.

Smells of caramel maltiness with a hint of yeast up front. Missing the hops I expected but I get some faint remnants of some grapefruit.

All malt in this. Well, there is some nice hoppy bitterness in the front, then distinctive caramel notes in the middle with a warm finish.

Medium to full bodied with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall I am disappointed... with the fact that this bottle is almost 5 months old. I bet this is a much better beer when fresher. My ratings are slightly inflated because its not GD's fault I got an old one but I also wanted to rate it for what it is; a 5 month old sample.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.
Dated Nov. 9.2011

A - Pours a dark reddish-orange and clear. A two finger head that is a yellowish-tan. Good Retention.

S - Pine, Oranges, sweet carmel malts.

T - Sweet malts, then some citrus comes around. Finishes with a hop-grass flavor.

D - Good carbonation, sticky and sweet.

O - Sweet and malty. Lacking a hop kick.

3.24/5  rDev -21.5%

This brew pours a cloudy orange-red color with a creamy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is of fruit, and pine. The taste is hoppy, and piny. The mouthfeel is quite nice. Its very smooth. Overall, this brew is an extreme let down. Way too piny for my likings.

3.24/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours in a reddish copper color with a slight bit of head with a decent amount of lacing.

The aroma has sweet deep malts however dominate. You get some grapefruit and pine, but this really lacks aroma.

The taste gives a little kick of grapefruit and hops. Then it goes towards a malt finish of caramel, grassiness, and round mouthfeel. The bitterness is really woody and resiny. It's a strong lingering bitterness. Then the finish is almost chalky or acrid because it sticks on your tongue.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

I’m a big malt head, but there’s something about the bitter finish and the grassiness that doesn’t quite do it for me. It really is a malt bomb of a Double IPA, or more like an American barleywine.

This really did not do it for me. I've had it both 3 weeks fresh and on tap. That woody bitterness and weird finish is quite offensive.

3.26/5  rDev -21.1%

We pour a golden-red, sunset orange colored brew. It holds a two finger head of tan foam that is quite billowy and shows nice retention. This recedes and leaves a sticky lacing about the glass, with big bubbles to cover the surface of the liquid. Haze is minimal and carbonation appears near nonexistent. The aroma is a rich caramel malts and light molasses. Hops are equally as present, with stickiness, oil, grass, and a big helping of citrus. Thick cherries, medicinal phenols, and clove spice add a little complexity to the top. Booze appears more with warmth and stings the nostrils. As we sip, we begin with that booze, which sours and puckers. The grain is thick and steely, with darkness of the chocolate variety apparent near the peak, which showcases more toasted and caramel malts, with an even balance of soapy hops. We conclude with more soapy hops and a sting of booze. The hops are also a bit citric, with a final revival of sweetened and cooked caramel malts. The aftertaste breathes of booze and copper, with a bit of grassy hop bitterness. The yeast finally comes in, with an additional metallic flavor and final bittering inclusion. The body is medium to thick, and the carbonation is medium. There is a thin creaminess, but this is nice, with good froth and a sticky smack to the lips. At the outset this is super drying, with a coiny metallic coat around the entire mouth. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks moderately well.

Overall, what we found to be most enjoyable about this brew was the rich color and ample head. The lacing and stickiness were quite attractive, making it easy to sink your teeth into this one. Where we lost points was in the taste, which gave a great deal of attention to the malts and general bitterness, while underplaying the hops to the point of them being seriously missed.

3.26/5  rDev -21.1%

on tap at redbones

A - nice orange body to this with a powdery white head that has good retention and quality lacing.

S - nice grapefruit citrus smell to this and some hops. its not bad but it certainly isn't standing out for me.

T - again grapefruit citrus and a good hop bite at the back. mild alcohol finish to it as well. its tasty but really isn't doing anything to stand out from the crowd.

M - good carbonation. sticky and dry on the mouth but not too much.

O - not a bad brew. its not doing anything wrong but its kinda forgettable in its straight-forwardness.

3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on September 14, 2009. Single purchased for $2.99.

A-Poured a golden amber hue with a one and one half finger head with modest retention and lacing.

S-Too malty for a DIPA. Aroma is predominantly caramel and other sugary notes. Hops are faint and in the background. What's there is resinous and piney.

T-Taste improved as it warmed, but tasted more like a barleywine than a DIPA. When cold, the taste was awful. IMO, the best DIPAs drink well cold and as they warm, and they don't loose their style characteristics. Too malty for a DIPA

M-Very smooth and well balanced.

D-This went down easy enough, but I would not readily reach for another. Taste improves as it warms. 10% ABV was masked very well.

I didn't like this beer. I wanted to. Great Divide has been inconsistent for me. Many of the best reviews are many years old, so I wonder if this beer has declined. I bought this from a highly reputable beer store in Portland and it was bottled six weeks ago, so I don't think it was skunked, but it was disappointing.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours out a syrupy caramel/brown hue – borderline looks like an amber. Thinnish half finger head of pure white briefly rests on top before fading completely away.

S: Pure pine pitch, this is a boiling vat of pine. There is a heavy malt backbone. A teetertotter of hops and malts.

T: Palette crushing bitterness but then followed so quickly by an overwhelming crème brulee sweetness. I would suggest that there is some pine, or grapefruit here. But, I really can’t tell.

M: Soda from a soda fountain where the syrup/soda water ratio is tweaked on the side of too much syrup.

O: In a double IPA I look for the flavors to be more intense throughout the spectrum, but not to be as overwhelming as a hydrogen bomb.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Dark rich amber pour with a big offwhite head. Tons of floaties (yeast?) If not for this, possibly a perfect appearance, but it was riddled with them and was very unexpected.. Nice hoppy smell, some sweet graininess, but quite a bit of alcohol present in the aroma as well, which kept it from having the great big bold hop aroma I hoped for. Taste is quite hoppy, very bitter, but tolerable. Drinkable, but not quite at peak enjoyment level at this level of bitterness. Sweetened up a bit as it warmed, and overall, the alcohol didn't detract from the flavor too much, but I like DFH's 90 minute Double IPA quite a bit better than this. Not bad, but not as good as I expected.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Pristine copper with a yellow hue. Thin white head that quickly thins out.
Smell malty, with piney hopss. Some pineapple and citrus.
Equal parts hops and malts up front. Citrus and some pineapple. Alcohol is assertive, especially on the finish.
Mouthfeel is slick and slightly crisp. Medium light body.
Drinkability is decent, but this one overall does not impress me, and the alcohol is a bit too assertive.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Pours a beautiful orange, amber color with a one finger head. The head is lots of small bubbles and recedes quickly.

S- Citrus, yeast and some nice hop smells. Slightly floral smell makes it a nice brew to smell.

T- Strong boozyness is the first thing i get. The hops and malts come in perfectly, but dont hide the alcohol. I wouldnt expect a HERCULES douple IPA to hide the alcohol...Just not my particular taste to judge.

M- The flavors dont leave the mouth quickly, but this is a very good strong IIPA. Expect what you will get by just saying that name...

D- Strong and not my favorite brew but a nice IIPA! strong and packs a punch! Good on one but one really packs a punch! not my thing..

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance: Clear copper/amber with burnished copper leanings. Head is off-white, chunky, massive, and sticky as can be. Big clumps of chunky lacing stick to the glass. Deeper reds than expected, looks more in line with an imperial amber.

Smell: Huge biscuity sweet malts. Caramel malts. Caramel sweetness. Almost raw sugar sweetness before it warms. Big chewy malts push something close to molasses at times. Pine needles, grapefruit flesh, even some earthy/herbal leafy hop notes. Sweetness drops as the beer warms. Big malts and big hops in some weird overbalance.

Taste: Pithy, oily hops. Grapefruit rind and pine needles. Biscuity malty sweetness. Some nice caramel malts in the back. Mild nutty with a damp, herbal earthiness from the hops. Lots of big flavors. Lingering pithy bitterness. Leafy and vaguely grassy at times. Malts push ahead of the hops as the beer warms, keeping it sweet and oily in the long run.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium, but slick and smooth. Some lingering dryness. Lightly moderate carbonation.

Overall: Finishing more than a bottle of this was one of the 12 labors.

I like Great Divide on the whole. This ultimately loses out with it's weird attempt at balance. The malts just don't mesh with the huge hop presence and it drinks like 2 beers at the same time. A bit more depth and nuance, with a cleaner hop profile, would bump this in to I want to drink it again territory.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a dark amber in color with ruby highlights. Decent inch and a half of head forms on the pour. Looks good. Smell is hoppy, but with substantial caramel malts behind lending the support. Juicy, citrusy hops start off initially, then the bitterness kicks in and finishes off the taste. Big and bold in the mouthfeel. This is a big beer. Good DIPA but far from my favorite.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Pours an amber reddish color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in an instant. Rings of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Piny, citrus, and grapefruit hops. A large bitterness in the nose. Very little malt sweetness. Almost no balance.
T: Again, piny, citrus, and grapefruit. Bitterness is up front. A very light malt sweetness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A soapy, oily, and sticky consistency. Not the hardest DIPA to drink, but the bitterness makes this a one and done.

Not the worst DIPA I have ever had. Nothing out of the ordinary. I will probably never get this again. Though if you are a fan of oily and bitter hops, I would recommend this.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

You may notice that my individual category rankings are all over the board for this one. There's a reason...

A- Clear bronze with off-white head that lasts and leaves several layers of lacing on the glass.

S - Um. Earthy hops with really grainy caramel... I gotta be honest; all this really does is create a very real vomit character. Not good.

T - Wha?! Oh, I get it double ENGLISH IPA. Didn't see that one coming, but I only have my own biases to blame. Totally expecting the good ole American version. Very grainy flavor, especially from pale malt and caramel. The hops are there, but mostly in bitterness, not too much in flavor. They are earthy and grassy, but don't seem nearly close to the 82 IBU listed on the bottle. Totally grain dominated. It actually reminds me of an overly hopped maibock. Bottled on date is less than two months ago, so I can't blame it on being not very fresh.

M - This is a winner. Very VERY smooth carbonation and medium body. You can't feel a bit of alcohol.

D - If you plug your nose until you take a swig, it's extremely drinkable, due to the deft hiding of alcohol content. Not bad if you just get past that smell.

I haven't read a review of this one yet as not to bias myself. I'm really interested in what others have to say. This being a DIPA be style, I'm guessing it's a little inflated in its score.

3.34/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a DFH Signature Glass

A- A nice copper color with a nice big beige head that actually dissipated fairly quickly after the pour. Looks like a great DIPA!

S- Hops? Where are you? The initial smell I had to check the bottle to make sure this was truly a DIPA! I was thrown off. My first sniff brought aromas of a nutty sweetness like pecans. Then the malt sweetness made its presence known. And in the very back some hops were being detected.

T- Again, I was missing the hops. Don't get me wrong, this beer was good but it was not what I was expecting with a DIPA on the label. This beer seemed to be VERY balanced. The malt sweetness was there, the hops were there but it wasn't wearing away at my enamel.

M- Good mouth feel. Seemed to be moderate in body and good carbonation.

O- A good beer, just not what I was expecting with a DIPA. I'm wonder how old this one was....

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/14/10.

A - Pours a hazy amber with 2-fingers of intricate foamy head. Leave sticky lacing in the glass.

S - Toffee, grapefruit, biscuit malt and a tiny bit of what I affectionately refer to as "cattiness". Intense.

T - There's a lot going on for a DIPA ; caramel and biscuit malts, bitter citrus (grapefruit and orange), pineapple and white pepper. Not quite as balanced as I like and a bit too sweet for my taste.

M - Medium-bodied with a nice crisp level of carbonation.

D - This one got a bit cloying for me, I struggled through the last 1/3 of the bottle. Perhaps it was a bit old, I may have to re-visit.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Too malty for an IPA or Double IPA in my opinion. Just not my cup of tea. I like strong IPAs, but much prefer ones with a crisp, clean, dry, hoppy finish. In fairness, Great Divide describes this beer as "hoppier and maltier" than a typical IPA. I think "malting up" an IPA makes little sense. It's almost as if the malts and hops are competing for the palate and it becomes chaotic, a sensory overload of sorts. It's a serious beer, I would drink it again, and I would rate it as a good beer in general. But I expect something a bit different in a true IPA. I'd have to give this one a C+ or a B-

3.36/5  rDev -18.6%

Looks really good. Dark orange and huge thick head
Smell is minimal hops and breads
Taste is more malt than hops but complex. Peppers, chocolate, cinnamon, and mild citrus. This is definitely an IPA for malty IPA fans. Not quite west or east.

3.37/5  rDev -18.4%

22oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

Dark golden-amber brew raises a smallish head that leave some nice lace. Lovely floral/pine/grapefruit aromas emerge from the glass...hops just smell so wonderful. Then a drink...the mouthfeel is somewhat heavy and sticky. The alcohol is hidden well, balanced by extra sweetness, which also blanace the intense hoppy bitterness as well...but there the whole enterprise is dragged down. I don't know why I even bother with double IPAs...obviously i have a problem with the style. The the hop flavors and aromas are wonderful, so why mess with that beauty by weighing the brew down with all the extra alcohol and sweetness? I just don't get it. These beers always come across and heavy, unbalanced, and much less drinkable than the normal-strength IPAs in the family. This is a beer with great taste and it is made well, but it is marred by being made to be huge, IMO.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

From tap to delerium tulip glass

Pours amber-red in color, dense...viscosity suppresses the carbonation leading to a small head. Nothing lacking in nose though, as waves of ripe citrus notes and alcohol swarm. The taste is even more aggressive with bitter pine and citrus notes pressed up against sweet, chewy malts. Full bodied and complex, it takes a few sips before your palate can wrap itself around the astringent overtone.

Flavorful, but a little too big for its own good. The profile is layered but disjointed. I'd drink this again if it was offered, but there are a lot of more satisfying DIPA's out there.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-draught into a snifter at Great Divide's tap room in high altitude Denver, Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of fair cream fair thickness, and damn good retention (especially for the ABV). Colour is a nontransparent copper peach.

Sm: A moderate strength aroma of hops and light cream.

T: Quite hoppy, with some cream. Fortunately, not too bitter on the finish. Balanced and subtle. Not complex, but featuring a sophisticated simplicity. No alcohol comes through, an impressive feat.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some nice cream.

Dr: Drinkable for an IPA. Subtle and lovely. I'd have it again. Would pair well with spicy food.

Reviewed 1/6/0006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a cloudy brown color body, with a small head that is quickly diminishing, white. A strong aroma of hops, some sweetness. Strong bitter taste, but I've had stronger, slight chocolate, smooth, sweet, dry finish. Not a very complex flavor.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. served at 50* in a snifter

bottled 1-25-11

poured a nice orange with a thin 1/2 finger off-white head.
Aroma is decent amount of citrus, and resiny hops, there is a bready malt aroma as well.

Flavor is a smooth resin and citrus hop bitterness, balanced by the malt. The malt flavor is not sweet, its bread like (reminds me of the flavor of fat tire). You get a warmth from the alcohol.

This is not a beer that assaults you with hops. That being said it is a little simple for a DIPA. The malt flavor is to distinct, it differentiates itself from the hops instead of complimenting the hops.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company