Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,742 | Reviews: 1,532
2.79/5  rDev -32.3%

Had this last night, at $13 for a 4-pack, I was expecting something exceptional.

The color was a nice clear brown but all of GD's beers are crystal clear, so nothing special about that.

It did smell really good, I will give it that, like a boquet of hop flowers.

The taste was really disapointing, this could really benefit from being conditioned in the bottle, not just carbed and poured in. That's fine when it's from a tap fresh, but leave a dead beer in the bottle for two months (mine was bottled in Oct according to the label) and uhhhh....yeah. I didn't see any yeast sediment at the bottom and the beer was so clear it either wasn't bottle conditioned or they use a very miraculous strain of yeast.

Very biting mouthfeel, resiny from all the hops. Like chewing on hops. A little creaminess at the end, maybe but really just jagged, cloyingly bitter, resinous and biting. Flash of green followed by a jolting brown. Unpleasant.

Fairly drinkable, I worked thru the two I bought (asked the guy to half the 4pack for me because of the price) in about an hour because I wanted to get drunk and it does its job pretty well at 9% ABV, but I would not drink it again. May try it off a tap if I come across the opportunity. Horribly disappointing.

2.79/5  rDev -32.3%

Caramel amber in color, the pour yields a sticky head that produces some really solid lacing. Unfortunately, this is about where the highlights of this beer end.

The aroma and flavor are both incredibly disappointing, as sweet and cloying caramel malts dominate both the nose and the palate. It doesn't taste like an old IPA with faded hops, so I wonder if there ever were any hops in there to begin with. There is virtually no bitterness to balance the malt base. Luckily, the booze is subdued, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. This is by far a better barleywine than it is a DIPA.

Just disappointing. I figured that out of a keg, the perennial disappointment of this beer would finally end, but it just didn't come together. I don't expect to buy this again.

2.8/5  rDev -32%

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just recently started getting Great Divide here, so I was very excited to try this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a bottling date of 9/13/13.

A: Relatively clear, orange/amber liquid with about 1 finger head. Not bad looking, but nothing special either.

S: This is where it started to fall apart for me. I spent maybe 5 minutes trying to get a good feel for the aroma of this brew because it just seemed so off from what I expected. I get a very faint whiff of citrusy fruity hops and...almost nothing else. The only other aroma I could get off of it reminded me of piss. I hate saying that, but it was the first thing that came to mind every time I tried.

T: There was no redeeming quality here unfortunately. Bitter, piney hop taste followed by a huge caramel malt flavor. The bad part came in the finish which tasted like soap...not a little either, more like the flavor you would get from accidentally getting dishwashing liquid in your mouth.

M: Not a bad mouthfeel, but with all the bad flavors going on, I just wanted to swallow it quickly without thinking too much about it.

O: I cant believe this beer was as bad as it was. If this is what it is supposed to taste like, I have no idea how the ratings are so high. I'm going to try to track down a fresh bottle and re evaluate this, because what I drank doesn't seem like what everyone else is drinking...at least I really hope not.

2.81/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

Pours a red-amber color with two fingers of head that retains and laces well. The beer has very high clarity for the style. Aroma isn't blasting with hops, but instead well-balanced with hops, citrus, pepper and surprisingly nutty malts. The taste on this? Eh. This is a fairly fresh bottle, but the malts and alcohol really take front and center here, with a bit of a peppery kick. The hops are kicked to the background, giving this much more of a barelywine flavor. And not a great barleywine either. With only a month and a half of age on the bottle, this is a little silly.

The mouthfeel is nice enough, it's fairly full-bodied and a bit less carbonation than I'd like. The drinkability is a bit below average, I found this glass a bit of a slog. The high ABV isn't doing this brew any favors. A below-average DIPA that I'd struggle to recommend.

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%

Great appearance, tons of velvety lacing the whole way. That's about all I was impressed with with this beer though. Both smell and taste were pure hops. Boatloads of citrusy and piney hops. I tasted hardly any malt whatsoever, and very little alcohol. Mouthfeel was very harsh as well, not at all creamy like I look for in a double IPA. I could barely finish my pint.

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This was poured out of a 22oz bottle.

Out of the bottle I was very impressed. There was an off white cream head that stuck around for a while. The color was a dark amber to copper tone.

The aroma was great! It had a complex malt-hop mix that was different than most DIPA's that are all hops aroma.

The taste was heavy and unimpressive. I most of the flavors melded together into an indistinguishable burn. I think there were some hints of pine, but they were all quickly erased by the harsh alcohol burn. Too much.

Mouth feel was thick and heavy. This drank like a stout and overstayed it's welcome on my tongue.

IMHO Great Divide pushes towards some great big beers, but needs to learn when to say when. I had a Saranac High Peaks side by side with this, both DIPA's and there was no comparing the two. One was thick heavy and a struggle to get down, the other smooth and full of character. I recommend the Saranac HP for anyone looking for a good DIPA.

*I need to disclose that I live in Syracuse (not far from Utica where Saranac is brewed) so I am always a little bias towards the home town brew.

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

A - Dark amber coloring with a decent head which hung around as expected

S - Funky, sweaty hop smell with fruity citrus finishing

T - Deep, throaty malt profile that stays on the lower half of the tongue. Different than most DIPAs I've had, not as hoppy as I expected

M - Unexpected action on the roof of the mouth considering the sub-par taste

D - Very drinkable considering the 10% ABV, though not something I'd have a substantial amount of

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance - slightly dark orange beer. Thick creamy head like lather is very sticky, leaving a thin blanket of lace behind.

Aroma - frangrant - orangey, piny, some malt aroma fighting through the intense hop nose as well.

Taste - good malt presence. Sharp bitter hops, combined with a high alcohol level, make a hot and harsh impact on the palate. Feels raw and boozy, needs more taste and less hootch. Too medicinal, but getting in some of the bottom sediment from the bomber gives it a needed boost of sweetness. Completely stands up to some spicy tamales as expected. Letting it warm up helps balance-wise. The ups and downs kind of cancel each other out on this one, leaving me with an impression more of the downs.

Mouthfeel - nicely smooth and creamy, leaves a pleasant residual to help fight off that alcohol burn.

Drinkability - too mixed up for me to get into and enjoy.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Bottle date of June 16, 2011.

A: Beautiful amber color. Aggressive pour leads to a slowly building coppery tinted white head that measures in about 1.5 fingers high. Lots of sticky lacing up and down the glass.

S: Malt-forward in the nose, not a ton of hops. This thing is only 2 months old and already it feels like it's lost freshness. The alcohol is present for certain.

T: Follows the nose directly. Malt-forward, poorly balanced and pretty hot. Really disappointing flavor.

M: Hop bitterness is here and finally this is like the IIPA that I like but it's too little, too late.

O: A solid disappointment but I'm chalking this one up to lack of freshness. I'll revisit with a bottle that's as fresh as possible.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Chilled 12oz into a glass. Purchased from K&L in Redwood City. Great Divide just came to CA this month, so I bought the bottle expecting it to be fresh. I got home and realized it was bottled on Aug. 29, 2010 -- a couple of months old.

Not optimal, but it's the freshest I've had this beer. I got two bottles in a trade that were 8-9 months old; I bought a bottle online that was 3+ months old, and when I saw it on the shelves in Portland, the bottles were 3-4 months old. I think this beer simply doesn't exist fresh.

A: Pours a deep, cloudy amber color with 2 fingers of off-white head. Retention is moderate, but there is a collar on the drink and a light film on top of the brew when all is said and done. Some lacing as well.

S: Like a barleywine. Caramel, biscuit, peaches, grass, herbs, and pine. The hops are present, and they impart some pine notes.

T: A strong, rich, malty backbone. Caramel, biscuit, and peaches give it a very strongly sweet character with a light hint of bitterness. There's a small candied grapefruit flavor going on, with touches of grass, herb, and pine. I think fresh, this would be a monster of a beer. Right now it's just satisfactory. It reminds me of Drake's Denogginizer, but not as good. The finish is fairly clean, but it has a sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, but it carries medium-to-high carbonation that prevents the beer from becoming syrupy despite its sweetness. Well masked ABV as well.

D: I found it fairly decent, but as is my complaint with all DIPAs: if you can't match what I can get in this state, you're not going to get me to buy it again.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Hercules Double IPA
Great Divide Brewing Company
Imperial IPA
10% ABV
OG?
IBUs?
12 oz bottle, bottled August 05, 2010 poured into a Bell's tulip on September 18, 2010.

Appearance 4.5/5
Clear, orange red, with an off white head and medium head retention. Some sticky lacing. Looks almost oily! The head and lacing were sub par but so was my pour so I am going to give it benefit of doubt.

Aroma 4/5
Nice hop aroma in the nose: tropical fruit, mango to be precise; grassy-piney as well. Some malty sweetness is present but it's hard to pinpoint it... perhaps caramel?

Taste 2/5
Fruity to begin. Malts and hops play well together towards that. That's the only good part of the taste. Some medium bitterness is the middle. Malts don't hold up until the end. For a DIPA, no hops in here, no malts either. Warming. Dry finish. The taste is average. The aftertaste is just bad.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Thin. Not cloying. The slight warming is welcome. Carbonation is medium.

Drinkability 3/5
Goes down easy but the body cannot support the alcohol and the aftertaste is just bad.

Other
Disappointing, and I cannot blame it on the bottle because the aroma was good. Somehow this reminds me of an adjunct lager at the end.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

Dark coppery amber in the Leffe tulip. Moderately sudsy with pleasing carbonation in the mouth. It's hard to get a read on the smell, which is more medicinal than beery. Hugely hopped, and leaves a woody, astringent taste on the tongue. Kind of a candy flavor, a Sugar Daddy dipped in quinine. That sweet and bitter combo is not too pleasing after a few sips. This one will have to go into stud service, goosing the hops on some less well-endowed ales.

This is my least favorite offering from this brewery, and I'm a big Great Divide fan. My favorite Colorado brewery, in fact. Label says bottled on Oct. 18, 2011.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--- Poured a brilliant copper color with a large fluffy white head.

S--- Caramel malt, pine and grapefruit from the aromatic hops make up the aroma. It was very pleasant smelling.

T--- It started off cloying with an herbal astringency and harsh bitterness. Warming alcohol and a salty aftertaste soon followed. It was not very pleasant tasting.

M--- Medium to full bodied with an appropriate level of carbonation for the style.

D--- It looked so promising and polished. The aroma was the perfect balance of malt and hops. Not all hop forward like a lot of DIPAs. Unfortunately it was to cloying and salty. Better attenuation and water chemistry would make it a lot more drinkable.

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours light copper with a thick head that gradually provides very attractive lacing down the side of the glass. On the nose, this beer puts its sweet side forward: some butterscotch, honey, and a bit of breadiness with citrus and floral notes playing a supporting role. Mouthfeel is too thick, bordering on full-bodied, with only some mild carbonation preventing this from being a beershake. The taste leads with a one-note caramel sweetness that lingers until the beer falls apart at the finish. The finish is too alcoholic for my tastes which provides an acidity that unpleasantly combines with the intensely bitter hop coda. I love a DIPA bomb as much as the next guy, but this is bad combo that's so strong it stays on the palate until you're halfway through your next beer. I'm going to revisit this beer in case I got a bad bottle, but my first impression is that this beer is a bit unbalanced and the finish is a plain 'ol mess.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company