Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Ellbert

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks again to Bigbubba for letting me try this one.

The apperance was a nice amberish color with a nice white head.

The smell is very sweet with a great malt background. The wonderful hops came in and took charge but did not take over the aroma.

Taste was very sweet. Not what I expected in my tastings of double IPA's. This had a great malt bill to it. Very meaty and sweet with the hops which were all over the place but very balanced. The taste was phenominal.

Mouthfeel is very thick and viscous. Great.

Very smooth and drinkable even for this style.

08-21-2005 17:14:15 | More by Ellbert
JackStraw22

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Pours a slightly opaque deep amber with a huge ass tan head. Looks like a cartoon head, ridiculous. Head retention is great as is the lacing.

Smell: Hops are really in your face and wonderful. Smells like they just came off of the vine and into the glass. Lots of resin aroma, piny as hell. This is how I want my DIPAs to smell.

Taste/Feel: This might be the hoppiest tasting beers I've had, not the most bitter, but the taste is intense. Just enough malt to make it drinkable, but those hops are screamin'! Nice light hop aftertaste that makes you want that next sip. Great mouthfeel, not too sticky, can be refreshing.

I'm so glad the local beer store just got these in, hopefully the supply won't dry up!

08-19-2005 01:26:54 | More by JackStraw22
budsboy

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours clear, orangey-amber, with lots of bubble trails and a nice white head that sticks.

Smell is full, warm carmel malt and piney hops that don't overwhelm. Hints of roasted malts in there also.

Taste is sweet, carmel malt chased on its heels by an aggressive piney hop that grows more bitter, then fades back to a coating of bitterness on the tounge. Very cool experience. That wallop of alcohol is well hidden in there.

Fairly soft and round in the mouth, creamy for a 2IPA. Only slightly oily.

Very drinkable 2IPA. Not a palate masher like Dreadnaught or Ruination, but still hoppiful. The mouthfeel of this is what impressed me the most. Its not the first Great Divide that has given me that sensation. I look forward to getting more of this guy. Try some.

08-18-2005 23:21:33 | More by budsboy
methtlcai

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer had GREAT lacing and an awesome head. Poured a two finger thick pillowy head with a very hazy amber color. The smell could be sensed across the kitchen- a very clear clean piney hop oil scent. Taste was of hops and honey, very viscous hop oils and resin with the honey flavor giving it a delightfully full body. The alcohol was disguised very well. Not very complex, basically tasted like honey and hops and smelled the same, but nonetheless a very good double IPA without the smokey pain of alcohol taste.

08-18-2005 02:25:28 | More by methtlcai
nickss

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22oz bottle.

Pours a beautiful amber with a fluffy white head. Looks ALOT like Old Horizontal in the glass... almost identical.
Come to think of it... it smells alot like Victory's O-H as well. Big hops fill the nose upon inhalation. wow.... hints of grass and hay make for a strong finish.

Tastes alot like 90min, IMO.... which is a very good thing. HUGE hoppiness! mmm. A bit of lemony citrus came through as the beer warmed a bit.

mouthfeel is thick and tongue coating, no complaints here. Very crisp feeling.

Excruciatingly drinkable... not at all overwhelming. A brilliant example of the style.... extremely well balanced... fine work indeed.

08-16-2005 02:41:59 | More by nickss
klewis

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with big, lasting head. Lots of lacing.

S: The most delicious hops aromas that I've smelled to date are pouring from this brew. This is balanced nicely with a sweet candy/bubblegum aroma and hints of citrus and alcohol.

T: Initially, I thought "where's the hops", as I detected no hop flavor, just some maltiness. The hops explode in the finish with some astringency and some vegetal flavors. The taste is better than many beers, however, I felt let down after the great aromas.

M: Full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: There are so many great qualities in this beer, but the taste was a little disapointing. In the future, I'll probably try a different double IPA or stick with a regular IPA.

08-16-2005 01:03:19 | More by klewis
bigbubba

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

This is a dark orange, somewhat hazy beer. The head is small, but it stuck around a long time. The smell is great, lots of fruity hops and some sweet malty aroma also. The taste is great as well, the hops are there, but they are well balanced. There is a strong bitter aftertaste that lingers a long time, but after a few sips my tastebuds were so fried that I stopped noticing. The mouthfeel is almost perfect. It is incredibly easy to drink the first one. I would not recommend trying to drink the second one as quickly.

08-14-2005 22:21:32 | More by bigbubba
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Well, I just had Great Divide's Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti stouts, so I figure I'll give another of their Big Beers a shot. Hello, Hercules.

Hercules pours a very cloudy reddish-gold color, with a small head but ample lacing. Looks like a nice apple cider.

It smells, interestingly enough, a lot like the Oak Aged Yeti: very hoppy.

It tastes very hoppy, very piney and floral. There's some malty sweetness but it's overwhelmed by the hoppiness, as would suit a double IPA, I suppose. Surprisingly, there's a little bit of roasted maltiness here as well. There's some spicy alcohol character as well.

I'm not a hophead, but even if I was, I don't think I'd love this. It doesn't have much character besides an abundance of hoppiness. Really, I'm surprised at the similarities between this and the Oak Aged Yeti. This is a far inferior version, however: all the hoppiness, little of the backbone and depth.

08-05-2005 07:44:43 | More by battlekow
bditty187

Nebraska

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

The first pour was largely clear, dark bronze in hue with an amber-peachy influence. I really like how the liquid looks! It is darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was excellent, the foam sat on top of the liquid like concrete, and it took along while before it faded to a tight cap, which lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was awesome; it looked like lightly tattered wallpaper. The second pour had a bit more haze to the liquid; maybe I am drunk at this point. Whatever the case, this beer looks fantastic. I know that much. The bottom line is simple; this beer, for the style, cannot look any better.

The nose is thunderous with hops. There is no question that this beer is a DIPA. I am impressed that the nose is so rich with hops. Sticky. Pungent. Resiny. Piney. Sprucey. Citrusy… grapefruit flesh, rinds, orange peel, and lemon. Spicy. The alcohol is noticeable; the heat is warming my face and I haven’t even taken a sip. The malt is caramely and flirty but clearly secondary to the hops, and even the alcohol. Not matter, I am happy I can smell any malt behind the hop explosion. With every sniff I am rewarded with a glorious bouquet. It is literally making my mouth water. Can you get any more inviting then that? I wish the potency was louder but the aroma is so compact it almost makes up for it. Dangerously alluring.

The palate is wonderful, simply wonderful. I love the massive bitterness. My tongue is nothing more then a punching bag. I love it. The alcohol burns. Hot nasty heat… it stings the tongue and scorches my throat on the swallow. I love it. The caramel malt is so playful. I am surprised I can even taste it. This impresses me greatly. This beer is not heavy handed even though it is punching my palate relentlessly. There is tremendous grace; it is like Muhammad Ali in his prime. This beer floats like a butterfly and stings like a swarm of pissed-off Africanized killer bees… on steroids. Realistically, could this beer taste any better? I mean for a DIPA it has everything. There is plenty of bitterness, raw citrus bite upfront, orange and grapefruit zest in the middle, and it turns fleshy and juicy at the finish. Plus there are hints of berry and tropical fruit. Candy sugar. Cinnamon. Toffee. Naked alcohol… maybe there are some pine needles soaking in there. Wood. Mint. Delicious. Amazing. I like to compare beers in the same style. I am not with this one. It is great. It is different then Dreadnaught. It is different then Devil Dancer. It is different then Ruination. Hercules kicks ass. Sometimes it can be as simple as that… awesome. The alcohol is hitting my brain, right about half way through the bottle. It is numbing. From start to finish, this is lovely, lovely stuff.

Medium in body, maybe a tickle bigger… the mouthfeel is workable but it doesn’t standout. It is not too thin and I guess that is the most important thing. It is big enough to support this beer. Moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is solid.

Amazing stuff and perfectly drinkable… I want lots of cheese and then a nap. This is a hop bomb and a sedative. Hell, give me a turkey sandwich and I’m in a coma for a week. What more can I ask for? I am very impressed with this DIPA. It is bitter and aggressive but rich and complex. I love it. I purchased one bomber in Boulder, CO. This is a beer that I will have to buy many of, the next time I can. I would love for a beer like this to be available commercially in Nebraska. Maybe someday. Highly recommended.

08-04-2005 14:12:08 | More by bditty187
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

22 oz. brown bottle.

Hazed copper color with a biege froth. Lots of lace work with this beer.

Nice ambiguous citiric smells, faint malts and a wallop of alcohol.

Medium body with sharp carbonation, an oily coating, and a stinging alcohol bite in the back. Resiny hops, citric and herbal, are more flavorful than they are bittering. Sweet tinges of malt appear, along with the ever present alcohol.

Not a stellar beer, but pretty good. If the alcohol was hidden better Hercules would be a real bad ass.

08-04-2005 00:23:31 | More by Shultzerdugen
garymuchow

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

A wonderfully fresh hop aroma of grass, fruit (mostly citrus) and flowers. Complex and enjoyable throughout.
Bright, clear (almost brilliant). Dark amber of orange, red brown, gold. Firm solid head. Above average lacing. Beautiful.
Terrifically balanced. Just enough malt from start to finish to temper the intensity of the complex hops. Bitterness grows from mild to moderate in the middle to bolder in an extremely long finish of some dryness. Flavors of hops match the aroma.
Moderate feel with some fullness from the carbonation. Only mild softness.
The resiny quality of the hops can be a bit too much at times, otherwise very well done.

07-31-2005 04:31:31 | More by garymuchow
alewarrior

4.13/5  rDev 0%

A friend brought me this 22 oz. bullet. pours a nice cloudy copper color, noticed its bottle conditioned, a plus in my book, first thing I noticed was the hop nose, citrus, and flowery, but not overpowering as some IPAs can be, nice fluffy head to it that lasts and lasts. Malty overtones tempered by some incredible hops. A mix of cascade and something else perhaps? For a double IPA, this was perhaps the best i ever drank, never overpowering with the hops, a good balance was struck, a big beer, but somehow it comes off as not quite as huge as it is. kudos to the brewer, a fine product.

07-29-2005 07:54:35 | More by alewarrior
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Big nose for a big beer. This really is one of the finest Double IPA's I've had in awhile. Citrusy, floral, balanced and smooth as Lando Calrassian. The 9.0% alcohol is barely noticeable but the levels of complexity make this a big beer with a high IBU. This might even be better than I2PA or 90 minute.

07-26-2005 02:09:03 | More by canucklehead
Bierguy5

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a cloudy orange/copper color. Great thick fluffy off-white head. The head stayed on this beer almost the entire time. Lots of sticky lace on the sides of the glass. Huge citrusy hop aroma. Pretty strong malt character followed by a great amount of citrusy hop flavor and bitterness. Bitterness is not overwhelming, but it certainly is present. Medium to full body, carbonated just enough. I found this to be very enjoyable. Alcohol is slightly noticeable, however for being 9%, this beer is very easy to drink. This is a very solid brew here. Hats off to Great Divide.

07-22-2005 02:37:37 | More by Bierguy5
Morris729

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

I must say I do like the “Great Minds Drink Alike” logo stamped on the top of the bottle cap. Anyway, it pours a deep rusty orange color with a short and creamy head that leaves trails of lace on the walls of the glass. Pungent hop aromas are quite noticeable as well as a bit of fresh pine and a hint of alcohol. The taste begins with a sugary sweetness and fresh lemon followed by a touch of bready malt all leading up to a big kick of bitter raw hop resins. A grapefruit rind aftertaste lingers on the tongue until the next sip. This is one heck of an IPA—definitely recommended.

07-17-2005 04:38:31 | More by Morris729
NearerMyBeerToMe

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a deep, transparent copper with glowing pumpkin highlights while raising a half-inch head of tight, off-white foam. An attractive ring of delicate lace is left after my first sip, but, curiously, not on any subsequent sips. There are few solid, lethargic trails of carbonation. First aromas are of brown sugar maltiness doing a good job of keeping PNW hop astringency in check. After a stronger swirl of the glass, however, the hops display citrus and pollen--so much, in fact, that combined with the dryness of the nosefeel, I feel like I'm snorting goldenrod. Even less pleasant is the fact that the citric elements here are artificial and solvent, like orange cleaning spray. (See my review of GD's Yeti.) The hops work better in the flavor, offering tons of pine sap flavor highlighted by unsweetened mint and genever, pulling towards a powerful cedary bite. The malt flavors (wheat and raw clover honey) are in the sediment--so pour it! Mouthfeel is oily and coating where some carbonation would help. Furthermore, the drinkability is impeded by the aftertaste, which is just too long--it simply doesn't know when to just dry up and gracefully depart. Another competent but seriously overrated beer from this brewery.

07-13-2005 20:49:18 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
silver0rlead

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with reddish hues throughout, and a nice off white head that leaves incredible lacing. Aroma is breathtaking, huge dose of citrusy hops with hints of grapefruit and lemon as well as a piney, resiny aroma and a light carmelly malt scent. Taste begins with a massive hop flavor; I detect grapefruit, lemon, pine oil/sap, herbal and floral notes, then the malt which for the most part takes a backseat but is hefty enough to stand up to the hops. The malt profile is lightly sweet with hints of caramel and turbinado sugar and a hint of hazelnut maybe. The finish is dry and pretty bitter and complex (but not at all unpleasant) and the alcohol is noticeable but not really any more so than other highly hopped IPA's, in other words it's well concealed. Another excellent brew from great divide, it's very much like the TItan on steroids (kind of similar to the relationship of the bell's expedition and kalamazoo stouts)...hopefully we'll see this one in NC soon. POP THE CAP!!!

07-09-2005 00:14:48 | More by silver0rlead
BitteBier

Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a bold, hazy amber-orange color with a substantial amount of perfectly-suspended sediment. Topped off with a thick, creamy head that reduces quickly but laces well and never really goes away. Very hoppy at the front of the nose with piney notes that are crisp yet softened by the malts. Mouthfeel struck me even more than the taste--a nice balance of smoothness and structure. The hop oils are certainly present but don't overwhelm. The same is true for the taste, which is expectedly hoppy but not terribly bitter, thanks to a happy melding with the malts. Besides the piney notes mentioned earlier, there are nice citrus flavors as well. Nicely done.

07-09-2005 00:05:45 | More by BitteBier
taez555

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured a clear, very bright, orange body with a thick white head.

Nose was super clean and crisp citrus hop smell. Fresh citrus peel, grapefruit, even hinting at oranges. Some floral notes as well. Really a breathtaking nose.

Surprisingly medium bodied with a very clean taste. For 9.1% this thing could have been as thick as a barleywine, but it’s not at all. Magnificent fresh citrus hop taste. Sharp pepper, citrus peel, grapefruit, Caramel, a light nuttiness, mostly though just a big, clean, very crisp malt that let’s the fresh citrus hop shine through.
The finish has a lingering minty, spice taste.

Amazingly this beer is never overpowering with the hop taste, even at 81 IBU’s.

This beer is really outstanding. The fresh citrus taste is just so crystal clear against the perfectly balanced malt. It’s like when you can see into a clear lake or something. More please.

07-06-2005 08:00:58 | More by taez555
oberon

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to hoppedup for the bottle,pours a slightly hazy deep orange with a tight one finger head that leaves a nice sheet of lace behind.Wow this puppy is hopped to the tilt intense orange and lemon hit with an underlying pine,big juicy citrusy flavors just bursting out at ya i do notice a touch of nutty malt it barely holds up to the intense hoppiness but its there.A slight alcohol burn is noticable not bad in any way,this beer is bad ass and takes no prisoners,hell yeah.

07-02-2005 23:51:57 | More by oberon
PatandDavid

This is a big beer, so I normally don't drink too much at one time. Clear sparkling amber when served, I picked up on a motley crew of aromas: stomped summer grass that the cat rolled in, with low pine dangling over. Strong medium to full mouthfeel, the malts are present, but so are the hops. I find this one just a bit hot. Enjoyable, but know when to stop.

07-02-2005 17:14:05 | More by PatandDavid
Gritsak

West Virginia

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

A- hazy brown with hints of red

S- strong grapefruit, pine and alcohol aroma.

T- lots of hops, lots of pione flavor that lingers on the tongue

M- very thick and smooth.light carbonation

D- hurts a little here because of the strong taste. One 22oz is just the right amount for me

overall- this is my first double ipa, and it really just tastes like a barley wine to me. But it is a good and strong beer. worth a try.

EDIT: Let this warm up a bit. After it got a little closer to room temp i enjoyed it much more

07-01-2005 02:59:50 | More by Gritsak
Higravity

3.8/5  rDev -8%

For a DIPA I was expecting more. This beer looked really good clear Amber with a fluff of a white head that leaves lace. A good smell of citrus hops that go well with the maltyness. The taste is of crystal malt to the extreme. The hops are a good hit of citrus spice and as well as the deep bitterness that is expected. The malt flavor just take away from a good display of the hops ever if they are a bit grassy. It holds up in the mouth and is not too cloy and is not hard to drink a dinner bottle at 9%. Not the first among DIPA but good if it is available.

06-30-2005 12:22:25 | More by Higravity
MuddyFeet

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer got better as it warmed up in this insufferably hot night. Pours a perfectly clear copper in color. Thick head and plenty of lacing on the glass. Aroma is tough to place, but I know I like it a lot. Lots of nice wood tones wrapped around some pretty earthy hops. Flavor is awesomely balanced. The malts hit you first and finish last. They start off very sweet but end up leaving a dry feeling on the tongue. The hops provide a nice kick inbetween. with a little bit of pine and awesome florals. Also getting hints of wood and some toastiness around the edges. Mouthfeel is full bodied and wonderfully refreshing tonight. Very drinkable, I don't even realize this beer is 9.1% ABV. Want more.

06-26-2005 02:04:13 | More by MuddyFeet
Boilermaker88

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Served on-tap at The Public House Brookline.

Deep coppery coloration and lots of fine carbonation crawling up the sides of the glass. Thick, dense off-white head that was present throughout, start to finish.
Nose just reeked of hops aromas; big-time pine sap and needles, grapefruit and tangerine rinds. Malt base is evident thanks to the light caramel and faintly earthy notes.
Taste had a solid sweetly malty platform that stood up well to the incoming onslaught of citrus and pine flavors. Hercules seems to pack in just about every kind of flavor there is in terms of describing hops. Sappy, resinous spruce, a torrent of juicy grapefruit pith; you name it, it's there. Let's not forget the alcohol, just barely registering against the 600lb gorilla hops load. It's there, just behind the veil.
Well-carbonated, Hercules has a full, lush and velvety feel.
Even wieghing in at 9.1%ABV, Hercules is dangerously drinkable, to the point where coordination may be compromised. Hercules is a stand-out double IPA. One of the best there is and worth seeking out.

06-23-2005 20:59:44 | More by Boilermaker88