Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice copper color with an inch of white head. Looks very inviting. Smell is of hops citrus and pine hops, very good smell. Taste is consistant with the smell, hops and more hops. As it warms the malt backbone comes through a little more but this is truly a hopbomb. The hops just stay on your palate throughout this beer. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and carbonation is just right. The drinkability is very high on this one as well partly because I am partial to double IPA's and IPA's and the alcohol is very well hidden.

derrickt007, Jan 07, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Hop bomb exploded in my house tonight. 22 ounce bomber poured a bright orange copper. Nice two finger head. Citrusy hop nose offing magic aromas. Super bitter. A hophead's dream. I'm glad I have been working out my palate this past year. Otherwise this would be too much. The piney hops really come through in the aftertaste. Nice lacing. I wanted this to be the best beer I have had in the past year. I may still have to defer to Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale. Double IPA's are enjoyable but may still be way too much. Who am I kidding, this is amazing!!! Bomber really settles in nicely on the palate after about a half a pint. The hops really hide the high ABV%. Great way to start the New Year.

ChrisA, Jan 03, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap served in a pint glass, this comes out a pretty glowing amber, a finger of off-white head, excellent lacing. Nose is a solid dose of hops, citrus and grapefruit all the way, very nice and fragrant, allowing just a slight bready malt to come through. Taste is what I expected, bursting with juicy grapefruit, citrus, and floral hops, a caramel malt backbone doing an admirable job in balacing, a nice lingering hoppy bitter finish. Hops are big, but your tongue doesn't get scoured by them, and you're still tasting by the end of the glass. Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly slick and oily feel. This is an excellent DIPA, I look forward to trying more beers from Great Divide.

cubedbee, Jan 01, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a honey amber with a high frothy tan head.

Smelled of honey, molasses, wheat, bread dough and bubblegum with only a mild but obvious hop undertone.

The flavor is delightfully understated with a smooth caramel and light molasses malt whose sweetness fades into an intense orange and pine dryness that finishes with a slight caramel and a pleasant dryness.

Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light smooth carbonation.

DarkerTheBetter, Dec 30, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +9%

22oz. Bomber Pours a nice dark copper color, some carbonation, small head, very nice lacing afterwards. Scents of hops aplenty, citrusy, and some sweetness. Very nice taste of hops, and sweet. Medium body with a nice bitter bite at the end. Very drinkable at 9.1% ABV, the bottle also sez 85 IBUs which is the first time I've seen this on a bottle, what it means I'm not sure. This brew is highly recommend for sure, will be buying again.

Wasatch, Dec 30, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Copper-bronze, a little darker than some. Tons of fluffy, rocky white head, insane retention, Beautiful lace. The cream of the crop! If I could give this a 5.5, I would!

S: Clean hop smell, with a little bready malt.

T: Sweet, bready and caramel malt is detectable up front... then the hops take over! Very citrousy and piney Pacific Northwest hops. Good bittersweet balance, isn't as bitter as some.

M: Rather full, creamy and slightly syrupy body. Moderately high carbonation (keeps producing head!).

D: Big, bold and heavy... drinkability suffers, but the flavour is great, so I'll still put it above average.

Derek, Dec 27, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

22 oz. bomber picked up at the Central Market in Plano, TX for $3.89.

I heard so much about Great Divide that I bought every 22 oz. I could get my hands on at the Central Market. This is my first one.

Pours a nice orange, hazy hue with a very nice head. The one finger thick head had exceptional retention throughout the glass. Incredible lacing.

Smell was a little more subdued than expected. Very citrusy. I could tell this one would be a little sweeter than some of the other hop bomb DIPAs out there. More grapefruit and orange than floral overtones in the nose.

Tastes very nice. Definite malt sweetness with a hoppy dry backbone. Again, a nice departure from the typical DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is excellent as well. A sour sweetness takes over after a few sips but this one lingers on the tongue long after the beer is gone. It leaves an imprint that you won't soon forget.

Drinkability is very nice for such a big beer. I couldn't find the alcohol anywhere. This one won't dry you out as much either. You can definitely go back for more. I will.

Terp96, Dec 18, 2005

1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. Bomber

A: I was a little disappointed in the hazy appearance. No doubt this beer has a serious charge of dry hops which can be a detriment to clarity. However, as the beer warmed to 55 degrees, the clarity improved. Yup, captian, we have protien influenced chill haze present.

S: Sweet, Feathery Jesus...God and the baby Jesus, this beer smells like resiny, piney heaven with a slight aroma of malt goodness. I mean not a hint of the 9.1% ABV stated on the bottle.

T: The taste does not disappoint. Initial citrus, grapefruit flavor followed by a bit of caramel malt (I guess that's the only thing left after every other fermentable element was gobbled up). Finish is quite bitter...IBUs seem to be higher than the 85 IBUs stated on the bottle. Lingering bitterness that screams for a bite of gorgonzola cheese.

M: Well attenuated and a touch thin as expected. I like a little more body in my ideal IPA….nothing personal. To get that much alcohol you probably have to ferment every sugar available to the yeast.

D: I love this beer...but I could not knock back 2 or three of these in a sitting. This is definitely a sipping beer that should be accompanied with a meal or at least hors d'ourves.

O: This is the pinnacle of the Imperial IPA genre. Great Divide accomplished their objective: Make a big ole IPA that can be enjoyed by the novice or the most seasoned beer aficionado.

crawfow, Dec 15, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a hazy coppery red color, with a thick two finger head that fades slowly to a nice cap that lasts throughout, and leaves lots of thick lacing.

Smell; tons of spicy, floral, citrusy hops dominate. There's a bit of a doughy malt presence, and a little nutty.

Taste; as with the smell the hops dominate. It's nice and spicy, with a piney, grapefruit hoppiness, and just enough of a malt presence to keep the bitterness from being too much. Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth and a bit thicker than other DIPA's I've had, and this is just disappearing from my glass. The alcohol can definitely catch up to you in a hurry though.

RedHaze, Dec 04, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at The Publick House in Brookline, MA.

Appearance: Cloudy reddish brown with an excellent creamy head. Great retention and lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Rich hop nose, spicy, meaty, earthy hop nose.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Toasty and roasty malt flavor. Not what I expected from a Colorado IPA but really good. Sweet and malty with some burnt sourness. Bitter sandy middle. This beer is not a hop monster of a beer that tears into the palate. I like that. Sweet with candy flavors and a piney, oily, resiny hop finish. The feel is smooth and clean, medium to nearly full bodied in texture.

Drinkability: For a DIPA it's not bitter but I appreciate the complexity and rich flavors. No single flavor is too strong or overpowering. Well balanced and tasty. In a lot of ways this reminds me of Alesmith IPA.

BrewMaster, Dec 03, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

22 oz. bottle. Label claims 85 IBU.

Appearance: This was a hazy, glowing copper beer. I poured it very carefully down the side of the glass and still got a think, dense head over two fingers tall. It settled down very slowly, becoming even more dense and rocky. It left tons of thick foam on the side of the glass as it dissipated. After drinking, the glass was covering in lace, solid sheets in most places.

Smell: A great raw hops smell was right there in my face, citrusy and a little herbal. It easily dominated the nose, but there were hints of other aromas hovering in the background. Bread, light spices, and vanilla peaked through at times, but the overriding component was hops. No surprise.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and lightly chewy, with either a butteriness or oiliness (I really couldn't tell) that coated the mouth. Pretty smooth, with a foamy carbonation forming as the beer lingered in the mouth.

Taste: A ton of sweet malt was present on the tip of the tongue. This was immediately joined by a thick herbal and citrus hops flavor. A good dose of bitterness accompanied the flavor of the hops. That was it; a straightforward flavor.

Not a bad beer, but there wasn't any complexity to it. Plus, in the attempt to keep this balanced (which I admire), I think they went a little too far with the malt. It could have been drier. The great aroma and appearance saved this from scoring lower.

Quaffer, Dec 01, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

A regular in my lineup, I don't know why I haven't reviewed this before.

Pours a golden orange hue with a nice frothy head. Smell is wonderful bouqet of chinook hops, pine and citrus; wonderfully juicy.

Taste is considerably hop laden, with a backing of sweet malt. Taste can be described as "big", but is very drinkable considering the alcohol content. Mouthfeel is resinous and juicy, with a slightly gritty hop bite. A well balanced brew that is commonly employed in my sessions. Well worth a try. Cheers.

sinistermadman, Nov 29, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The color is a hazy red shade of copper. The light brown head is very creamy and is of an average height. Retention is good. The aroma is of strong, citrissy hops with a smell most reminiscent of pineapples. An underlying malt sweetness is also present. Hercules has an excellent hop flavor, again pineapple comes to mind. Plenty of underlying malt flavor provides a nice balance and a bit of nutty flavor. Bitterness is ample, but doesn't seem unrelentingly harsh at 85 IBUs. The 9.1% ABV isn't noted at all. This is a great DIPA, the hop flavor is damn near perfect and the malt is well-matched. Highly recommended.

Gagnonsux, Nov 26, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

This is a dark amber leaning towards an almost light brown color. Creamy mouthfeel due to the heavenly off-white head. Smells of honey, sweet sweet honey. Very subdued yet alluring. The hops are very complex as well. Hard for me to decipher what's going on other than that this beer is well balance and tasted yummy. If only my palate was more refined...this is so smooth and refined for a double IPA!

Nutty, yet sweet malt profile. One word...heavenly. Hints of caramel as well?

Quoting/reading the bottle afterwards..."Huge amount of hops from start to finish, its hefty backbone of nutty, malty sweetness balances its aggressive hop profile." 85 IBU's

deBeers, Nov 24, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a nice amber brown body that is slightly hazy with a nice creamy yellowish head. It has a good carbonation various size bubbles.

S- Smell so slightly toasted malts and pale malt lay the base for some spicy green hops. The malt has a hint of sweet graham cracker as it warms.

T- The big taste of hops has hints of pine, light grapefruit and some juicy fruit notes. There are nice flavors of caramel and lightly toasted malt that give it a good base for all the hops. The finish is a nice hop bitterness with some spicy qualities followed by a nice alcohol warmth.

M- Medium mouthfeel with a faint hint of fizz and a nice alcohol warmth that is very gentle.

D- This beer has nice big hops but it is well balanced by a good malt backbone and some alcohol warmth. The hops have a very complex flavor and it is hard to pick one or two main characteristics to the hops.

rhoadsrage, Nov 23, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Peach color, super sticky lacing, a few islands of head retain throughout.

Huge fresh hop aroma, apricot, citrus and a touch of floral. Truly a spectacle to take in. Huge in every aspect and what I would expect in a Double.

Fresh slick hops are dominant. This is a friggin hop McBomb. Bitter as hell, grapefruity citrus at points, just a touch of sweet fruits and malt but it is a hunt to find it. This is one of those beers where its taken almost to extreme but it doesn't cross the line into annoying. This is a damn fine brew.

Notes: Bought this in denver and somehow had the willpower to not drink it till I got home for a monday night football game. Now that I know its awesome I wish I would have brought back more. Oh well, Keep your eye's open for this gem.

DogFood11, Nov 22, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours a nice, cloudy pumpkin orange with a nice, dense foamy head that sticks around and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Nice, light piney floral hop aroma.

Taste: Big, dense ultra-hoppy flavor. Very nutty, piney and floral. I would never have guessed this brew is 9.1%, it is hidden exceptionally well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied brew with a nice level of carbonation. Foams up a bit too quickly in the mouth, but otherwise very nice.

Drinkability: This 22 will not last long and, considering the ABV, it goes down easy, maybe too easy... :)

I had Great Divide's Fresh Hop Pale Ale and loved it so I decided to try this one and I am very glad I did! If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend it.

jamesdergen, Nov 20, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +9%

This double IPA pours a caramel color and leaves a thin tan lace that sticks to the side of the glass. The smell is fantastic, some great hoppy, floural, citrus, apple, and pine essence all comes out. The taste of this beer is great, "a hop packed punch". This beer is great all the flavors I expected on my palate just come out lemon, citrus, floural, hops, even some sweetness honey is what I'm tasting. This beer is well crafted, I would consider pairing this with some lemon chicken and sauteed asparagus it would really bring out the the citrus flavors in the beer.

Franchise, Nov 19, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Oh Great Divide, how I wish you were on the east coast where I could easily find you... this DIPA rocked.

Wonderfully hoppy and citrusy with a pineyness to it that made it unique tasting and different. Bubbly. Very, very smooth and creamy. Amazingly crisp and refreshing, and the alcohol content is well-hidden. After a few sips you get a nice warming feeling going on. Warm and fuzzy.

Hopfiends- you will love this brew. I can't say enough about it- delicious, amazing, wonderful. Great DIPA.

scooter231, Nov 16, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Yet another big beer that makes objectivity difficult.
Still, this is very well made as far as my senses can detect.
Smooth and surprisingly well balanced... big hop flavor without it being aggressive; a good malt backbone to stand up to so much rich hoppyness.
Rich and luxurious all around... if a bit heavy/dense.
If only this was readily available on the east coast...
ohhh if only.

ommegangpbr, Nov 15, 2005
4.13/5  rDev 0%

This DIPA pours out a dark orange, almost brown. The head is a tall frothy layer of off white foam.
Aroma is of piney hops.
The flavor is of hops all the way, though it is most bitter in the finish. There is also a slight malt character throughout the entire sip. Some ripe fruit as well.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

Naes, Nov 13, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

kozmo, Nov 12, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

22 oz. bottle, the first thing that hits you with this beer is the smell (that and the lingering head). VERY strong citrus, I knew I was in for a serious hop experience. Color was orangish-brown, the thing that impressed me was the head and the lacing on my mug, more like a carpet than a lacing, and it was sparkly, almost crystalline.

Taste is hops, hops, hops, to me, this had a stronger hop presence than even Stone Ruination. Don't get me wrong, I love hops, but would have liked just a little bit of malt.

If you're looking for total hop immersion, this is your beer, if you want more balance, go elsewhere.

I have now had both this and Great Divide's Old Ruffian Barleywine, which was sublime, I think I had a religious experience drinking it, I am very impressed with this brewery.

peabody81, Nov 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy orangish copper color at first pour that had a half-inch of off white bubbles that stayed around for a while. There is a good bit of lacing on the glass after dinking.

Aroma: Lots of citrus in the nose. There is noticeable grapefruit, oranges, lemons, and a whole orchard full of citrus trees hiding in this beer. As I try to smell the malt...I get none as the beer is still cold. The hops never really let up after the beer warms.

Taste: There is a lot of citrus to greet you in the beginning. This doesn't really let up the entire profile. The hops take on a citrus note in the beginning, but then this fades to a more floral flavor shortly thereafter. After all of this, the bittering hops start to set in to try and take charge of the syrupy and oily mess created by the hop oils and residual sweet malt. The finish has some malty backbone to it, and the bittering hops are definitely the key player. However, the finish isn't metallic or sharply bitter, but just slightly off balance toward the bittering hops. A nice finish for such a hop accentuated beer.

Opinion: Wow, now THIS is an imperial IPA! The late additions of hops are insane in this beer! There is so much citrus bouquet and flavor here that you can hardly concentrate on anything else. Somehow after this bombardment on your palate, there is an almost balanced finish.

This is a well-crafted beer, and one that is definitely worth trying. I am not a hophead; so it doesn't really "do it" for me, but that's OK...I can still appreciate it. It probably has the most balanced finish of any IIPA I have tried thus far, while it lacks nothing for the hophead. Go Great Divide!

SkeeterHawk, Nov 08, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

A tremendous IPA! Compared to other double I's, Hercules pours a thick and almost syrupy look, making me think it will be too sweet. Hazy and orange - rust in color, it forms a thick 1" head that remained. Very perfume-ey, citrus-ey and with intense hop resins. Flavors of hop hits with the sweetness for a very round and well-melded flavor. Though heavy on the toung, never cloying or tackey feeling. Intense citrus flavors without the tartness. Ripe oranges, lemons, and grapfruity. Throw in peaches and pears for good measure. Spicy but not bite-ey. Good pine-ey flavors without grassy-ness. Overall, a beautiful beer. Finishes sweet and a bit dry. I can't recall having a better IIPA.

BEERchitect, Nov 07, 2005