Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,538 | Hads: 3,926
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In the glass, this one looks great: deep copper color, 1-2 finger head which settles gradually, but not too gradually (i.e. not over-carbonated).

However, the smell is a surprise. Predominantly yeasty/malty, the smell is not exactly bad, but I wouldn't describe it as a good DIPA aroma, either...unusual.

Unlike the smell, the taste is very crisp and hoppy -- much closer to what I was expecting out of a DIPA from Great Divide (Old Ruffian is one of my favorite beers of all time, so I bought this bomber with high hopes).

Overall, this is a better than average DIPA, but I found the smell to be very surprising. With most of my favorite DIPAs (e.g. DFH 90, Saint Arnold Endeavor), there is a very close correlation between taste and smell, but I had to enjoy this one in spite of its smell (again, it worked very well once on the palate).

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

The Herc has a medium-brown color, like a copper or rust. The head recedes fairly quickly and leaves nice lacing around the edge of the glass and faintly on the surface. The smell is fairly subtle, with hints of hops (of course) as well as floral-citrus. The first sip is very hoppy, but as it warms slightly you can better detect the blend of sweet and bitter, malt and hops, although even as a double IPA the hops don't overpower so the balance is well done. The citrus continues in the taste as well. There is a noticeable amount of carbonation, but nothing out of the ordinary, it leaves a very clean finish. All in all a very good double IPA, several of these could be polished off before the abv catches up to you.

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

A > Nice amber with some reddish to it

S > Nice great floral smell with the hoppiness just lingering

T > Nice light hop kick with alcohol really coming in late, was hoping for more based on the smell. just a slight touch of sweetness

M > Average mouthfeel nothing clingy but very noticeable alcohol burn

Was a bit disappointed but enjoyed it for the good kick of alcohol. Not much drinkability after 1.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Hercules Double IPA pours a slightly cloudy, copper color with a large, pillowy, light brownish-orange head that displays great retention and some nice lacing.

Its aroma is hops with citrus (apricot) and pine notes and some subtle malt in the background.

It has a nice, velvety mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. The flavor is very nicely balanced. Lot of big hops with some nice citrus notes and a good malt backbone to offset it, followed by a crisp finish. I didn't notice the 9.1% alcohol at all - it is surprisingly drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

RICH. Despite Double IPA being plastered on the bottle, I was not expecting the rich, hoppy, potentially 90 IBU flavor. Healthy head that dissipates quickly. Floral, citrus aroma that is deceivingly smooth. Taste is immediately rich and hoppy in nature. If hearty IPA is your taste, this should be on your list.

3.43/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: Cloudy-unfiltered. A nice golden copper color-very opaque. Minimal head and with a decent lacing.

Smell: Hoppy aroma-not overbearing but pleasant. Sweet caramel overtones are present-from the malt.

Taste: Hoppy as the aroma indicates-malt presence is noted-adds a sort of sweet taste.

Mouthfeel: Good-Very slightly oily with medium carbonation-just about the right combo.

Drinkability: Above average-one or two a session is good.

Overall a good beer-Would like to get my hands on one right off the beer truck to sample-of course fresher is better with this style

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Clear, amber-orange, no sediment, good carbonation, bubbles rising from bottom. Medium head, no lacing, decent thickness. Pancake batter colored suds at top.

S: Rich, heavy in apricots, very citrusy, woody, pungent nose, almost chemical in power. Little bit of sweetness, floral qualities.

T: Hop-bomb all the way. Nutty maltiness, earthy, strong and weedy, heavy, heavy hop bitterness prevails. Starts sweet from heavy malting, immediately finishes big, bitter, and uber-hoppy with citrus-spicy length.

M: Oily, slick, almost syrupy, not too bubbly. Lingering hop bitterness stays between the teeth. Powerful!

Final Impressions: Mostly a one dimensional hop-bomb. Heavy, pungent, thick, way bitter at the finish as the malts can't hold up to the citrus hop bite. I felt it in my ears. Although not a balanced beer, it doesn't really pretend to be, so taken as a Double IPA, it gets the job well done.

Compare to Avery Dugana, Stone Ruination, and even Dogfishhead ApriHop.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

On Tap at Double Daughters. Poured coppery with a tannish head. Smelled floral and citrusy, very strong aroma of hops, slightly sweet. Tasted hoppy with a slight punch, tasted sweet but not overly so. In all, a really solid double IPA that's on the sweeter side as far as DIPAs go, a very refreshing change of pace.

Pretty yellow head that doesn't stick around for very long.

Significant malty aromas, along with piney hops. Not the citric DIPA that I was expecting.

Flavor is very balanced for a DIPA, with lots of sweet malt and a hop dominated finish. Bitterness doesn't stand out like it does in most DIPAs; the malt really balances it out. I think I would actually like this more if it was less balanced. Needs more hop flavor/aroma for a DIPA, or some more malt to go in another direction.

Overall, this is certainly good, but not quite as distinctive as I was hoping for. More hops would have been nice.

It is certainly possible that this bottle was a bit past its prime, but its hard to tell since it has no date anywhere. I'd like to try a fresher bottle for sure.

My least favorite GD beer so far. The Titan and Yeti are much better beers IMO.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

This was the first Great Divide brew that I tried. IPAs are my favorite style of beer and this particular one is really good. I bought a 4 pack for $16.13 (which seems quite a bit expensive) at a local store and poured on of the 12oz bottles in a pint glass. The dark amber brew left a soft creamy white head that slowly dissipated lacing every bit of the glass that it touched. Sticky hops overwhelm the smell. Behind the powerful hops is a citrus and bready scent. Once again, hops overwhelm the taste, however that is not a complaint. I notice some pine notes as well as a bit of alcohol in taste. Caramel malts are also very noticeable. The mouthfeel is creamy, sticky, and pretty think... I think a bit more so than other double IPAs I've had. I do really enjoy this beer, however when this costs over $16 and Harpoon Leviathan costs $10 so I am definitely going to go with the Leviathan next time. Absolutely give it a try if you have not had it yet, especially if you find it on tap; but I cannot say that it is worth that price tag.

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at The Lodge in Boca Raton.
Copper colored with two finger white head. Low retention and moderate lacing.
Aroma is of piney hops and sweet fruits and caramel.
Well balanced but leans more towards the malty side. Light caramel malt blends with a subdued earthy hop flavor. I prefer a more bitter hop but can't deny this beer its balance.
Medium bodied with nice carbonation and slightly creamy.
I found this to be more of a strong IPA than a IIPA. Still highly recommend enjoying one.

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Very nice IPA, in the top 10 class. Poured a beautiful frothy orange head with a rich cloudy amber/caramel color.
S- very light sweet hoppy with a hint of malt.
T- very rich hop blast on the tongue with very light bitterness.
M- coats the palate with a bold richness that last to the next sip.
O- would rank this IPA in the top class, great appearance with a great flavor. Light smell gives to a nice hoppy flavor without a lot of bitterness. Well balanced.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with an amber colour and with a nice off-white head. Aroma of floweris, green, earthy hops and caramel. Citrus and caramel flavour with lot of hops. Honey texture. Full bodied. The strong alcohol is just present. Long nice finish. Very enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours from a bomber a beautiful, clear golden amber color with a frothy, off-white head. Leaves nice lacing. Aroma is grassy hops with grapefruit and orange. Taste is grapefruit with a malty finish. Very hoppy but well-balanced. Well carbonated with a medium body. Another hit from Great Divide.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to bort11 for the trade!

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter....

Appearance: A deep orange with a slight head that quickly dissipates. Lacing abounds. Beautiful!

Smell: Whoa, piney hops galore. I also get a definite grapefruit smell. Fantastic.

Taste: The bitterness hits you right away, but it is surprisingly not overpowering. I definitely catch the malt as the beer passes the tongue. The finish is slighty bitter with a piney aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Sticky. Carbonation is pretty well balanced.

Drinkability: Let me say that this is obviously not an everyday drinker. That said, this is a fantastic double IPA. I rank it right up there with the Stone Ruination. It is bitter, but it also has some balance. Well done Great Divide.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

22 oz. into tulip-like glass.

A: Very clear - a light amber color. Thick head with staying power, even with the 2-pour.

S: Grain and Grass (as my brother-in-law says, "these beers taste like weeds"). Obvious Citrus and Apricot, with significant alcohol on the nose.

T: Bitter (in a good way) from start to finish. Vanilla (weird, I know). Bitter orange and grapefruit as you would expect, but the grapefruit almost takes a backseat to the apricot/vanilla, almost. This is a Hop Bomb, but not in the traditional sense. The vanilla/apricot seems to curb the intensity a bit, but it is still there.

M: A nice and easy pucker... Sorry, but it is bitter on the cheeks and tongue for quite awhile after the first sip and that, to me, is fabulous.

D: This is a very drinkable beer - not quite what I was expecting with a name like Hercules tied to it, but what do I know.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Slowly consumed from a 22oz bomber that sat on my kitchen windowsill on a cold late winter night while I farted around making bratwurst eating cheese and sauteing spinach with mushrooms and garlic.

Dark gold color, decent head, very aromatic. Not as bitter as I expected, but definitely bitter enough to take notice. Most of the bitterness came on strong within the first half second of each sip only to retreat into the backround while the sweetness of the malts took over, but then the bitterness would make an encore as I swallowed usually coming up my nose or occassionaly as a burp.

Mouthfeel...not sure how to describe this without sounding too cheesy. Thick, but not in the typical sense, more like a soft warm coat, more noticeable when the sweet piney syrup of the malts kicks in.

I wasn't really in the mood to write a review of any beer tonight. I feel obligated to put my thoughts down about this beer somewhere though, as it is my favorite IPA I've tried so far. Now I haven't tried very many other IPA's, so I can't pretend to have a full grasp of the style, but I do think I've gotten a good cross section of different interpretations across the spectrum. In the simplest terms, most IPA's to me are simply way too syrupy sweet, or lacking enough malts to balance out the hoppyness. I'm being picky I know, but that's how it goes sometimes. This is the first IPA I've tried that I think came close to achieving a perfect complement of sweet to bitter.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

In my opinion, this is Great Divide's definitive beer. Big, Bold, and Assertive. Not for the timid. Always a crowd favorite at Wisconsin beer festivals, Hercules Double IPA pours a dense orangey hue with a medium foamy head with a nice trace of laciness on the glass. Smells strongly of pine and resins, with that unmistakeable double IPA bitter/sweetness. Taste is so assertive that it goes beyond the bitter over to a subltle sweetness. Intense hop/alcohol heat finish. Very dense, syrupy, chewy mouthfeel is unlike most of this style. Highly drinkable, but be warned - the 9.1 ABV can not be taken lightly. It's the bomb!

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

I had this on tap earlier for happy hour.
Poured an amber color, pretty clear with a white head with good retention

Smell of fresh floral hops and slight hottness from alcohol.

Tastes of fresh grass or hay and a bitter end pretty big beer and well balanced

Overall another good beer by great divide

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%

One of my favorite beers. Probably associated with my love for craft beer more than any other, Great Divide Hercules is a highly unique, complex DIPA.

Pours out a medium copper color with minimal head and a few yeast "floaties" occasionally swirl.

Smell isn't really where its at here, but the caramel malt and hops are there. That said, it doesn't really have typical identifiable double IPA characterstics when just sniffing it.

Taste is powerful, herculean-like. Very strong caramel malt and nutty flavors fight with the piney hops. Make no mistake, this is not your typical DIPA. Its strong but quite drinkable, not particularly hop-forward. You won't mistake this for a West Coast IPA but it doesn't taste like any other East Coast IPA I've ever tried either. Has some fruit flavors as well- possibly apricot, and the taste is definitely ALL Great Divide.

Mouthfeel is perfect and incredibly good considering it's 10% ABV rating.

The beer is highly drinkable for a DIPA but it does have a heavy malt taste which can tire some palletes.

All in all- maybe my favorite beer, but I rarely drink it because of its price.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a Chimay goblet, gives a nice one-finger head, some carbonation comes up after it's been poured and comes up a brownish amber. Pretty standard DIPA fare, looks pretty good nevertheless.

Things go a bit downhill from here - not getting a lot from the smell. A bit of pine, some malts but ultimately nothing as strong as the other reviewers. I am in the UK so the smell may have faded.

Nevertheless, the taste is astounding. Surprisingly mild for a DIPA, what I get here is a lot of malts and a decent kick of hops. To be honest I was expecting something hoppier, but man oh man is this good regardless. Caramel and cherry and banana and vanilla and all sorts of things. Unusual for a DIPA to be quite so malty, yet it is balanced out by a decent hoppiness, but nothing that'll tear your tongue out, and the alcohol is nearly imperceptible. Not what I was expecting, but delicious nevertheless.

Great carbonation, it's there but not overpoweringly fizzy. Very nice mouthfeel and this implies it's ridiculously easy to drink - little alcohol, loads of maltiness with just enough hops so it's not sickening, and great carbonation. I will be picking this up again, a great beer.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a deep coppery amber with a fluffy, quarter-inch head that shows no signs of dissipation. When it does finally recede a bit it leaves thick, sticky lacing on the sides of my glass. Looks gorgeous. A good sign, I figure.

The nose is primarily pine hops and spicy alcohol up front, with faint golden raisins and star anise lurking in the background. The flavor couples the aroma with a pleasantly sweet malt bill. Oily hop bitterness lingers on the palate in a manner which I find enjoyable, but which makes this beer more suitable for pairing with a meal than sessioning. This would go really well with spicy Cajun dishes, like a spicy etouffee or czarina, or even just some really funky cheese. For a nice contrast pairing, I might try pears and apples.

This beer is a little chewy, and I like that. It's thick and substantial. Unfortunately, I'm not going to want any more after this bomber is empty. Twenty-two ounces with a meal is plenty.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Cloudy amber, head reduces, ok lacing. Overall it looks like an IPA.

S - Amazing, I finally get the whole grapefruit aroma. I always pretended I knew what people meant, but this is amazing.

T - Very malty, hops are subtler than I thought/hoped. Maybe its just balanced. The hops present as fruity rather than a big kick.

M - Body is good, as is the carbonation.

D - Drinks well for a 9% beer.

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

a very nice beer. Less of an IPA than a double due to the inherent sweetness and high alcohol. Those of us who are looking for the refreshing hoppy bitterness of an IPA will not be satisfied, however, for a particular evening this beer offers a nice compromise of sweet double combined with a robust IPA undertone, although at 10% ABV you won't be drinking a lot of it.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

My pint glass looks real good .A near whiskey color amber-red , top notch 3 finger head of creamy bubbles that slowly fades to a coarse lacing on the sides .
Resin , pine , slight citrus , with a hint of malt hovering in the background . A complex & pleasing aroma leads to the first sip...
Yum .hops , malt , hops and a most finely tuned bitterness that drops off fast, but leaves just enough aftertaste for another sip .Mouthfeel is med/full with an alcohol pucker on the gums, and a slight hint of oak in the finish . Warming , gentle rush ...
I'll buy it again .