Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 3,872
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.8/5.0
Left very nice lacing on my glass. Head was thick and frothy. Taste was very crisp, slightly sweet and citrusy, exceptionally smooth, not too heavy. It was not as carbonated a I expected but it was balanced very well to give a nice mouthfeel. Hoppy taste lingers on the tongue for a satisfying aftertaste. Overall my favorite DIPA to date, I'd put it over six point resin (mainly due to the drinkability of Hercules) (428 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: a thick copper color real hazy and a good amount of carbonation. slightly off white head is about 1.5 fingers and left a thick lace down the glass as it went away.

S: real piney hoppy smell right off the bat for me with undertones of citrus.

T: big citrus flavor mixed with the piney hops. light malty alcohol flavor at the end for me.

M: big and full bodied. really creamy and thick to me. real pleasant on my tounge

Overall enjoyed this beer a lot very filling. def a one and done beer maybe two depending how im feeling. it is real hefty as the label on my bottle says. this may have placed in my top 10 beers maybe even top 5 (638 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

Beautiful beer.

Surprising to me was how light colored this beer was compared to differend double IPA's that I've tried. Very light tannish color.

Hop explosion is all I can say about this one. They are everywhere hard to identify it all it hits you so much. Not as bitter as I was expecting but exceptional hop profile.
Decent malt background without being too cloying as other examples seem to be in my experience.

Overall a very smooth DIPA one of the smoothest I've tried so far. Definate recommendation. (518 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

I love DIPA's and this was a new product available in my area.

A- Beer poured with a decent but shallow frothy head. Color is light amber leaning towards a golden amber. After a sip the head remains and left some foam on the glass as well.

S- There is a good balance between hop and malt aroma. I pick up a spicy sweet aroma from the malt but the floral aroma from the hops.

T- At 85 IBU's this is a well balanced beer. There is some spice at the end maybe from the alcohol but it is not prominent. The malt flavor is not annoyingly sweet and the hops balance out the sweetness that is present.

M- Medium-high carbonation with a mouth stimulating taste of hops.

D- I like this, but I would not be able to drink this all day. It would best go after a light meal. (770 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Served chilled into an oversized wine glass

Appearance: Very dark for a DIPA, looks like a barleywine. I've been aging this beer for almost 2 years (bottled August 12 2009) but I don't think that affects the color. Frothy head, recedes quickly most likely because of the 10% ABV

Smell: Citrusy hop aromas are still present but the aroma is really dominated by the malt. Normally I like hop-forward DIPAs but this malt actually smells great. A caramelly sweetness matches the hop smells very well

Taste: The hops are still present here but no doubt have lost much of their bite, I'll have to grab a fresh version of this beer to check it out sometime. Hop bitterness is strong, a nice kick in the taste buds. The malt provides an aftertaste of molasses which complements the hops very well. At this point in its lifetime, Hercules tastes more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but is still delicious.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and thick, expands in the mouth. Surprisingly well carbonated for being almost 2 years old.

Overall: As I said above, at almost 2 years old Hercules DIPA really better resembles a Barleywine. Nonetheless, it is still delicious. Great Divide has another winner here. I'll be on the lookout for a fresh one to really do the hops justice. (1,254 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages! (491 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a beautiful orange/deep amber color with an off-white head that just lasts and lasts. Clingy lacing coated the glass from top to bottom.

Smells of citrus and hops, bready, with a hint of oily pine. Enticing.

A bold flavor of hops firmly hits the palate at first, not overwhelmingly bitter, yet strong. The beer retains a hint of its citrus flavor throughout, though hops dominate. Citrus flavor is strongest at the tip of the tongue. This beer's flavor is rather complex and difficult to put into words- but very tasty!

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy. Very very smooth, with a slight dry finish.

A very drinkable beer, this one's strength is deceptive. It's a sipping beer for sure, but it's smooth, balanced flavor makes one want to drink more. (766 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz bomber bottles poured into pint glass.

Poured a nice amber/copper color, no major head formed with an average pour. What little there was faded to a lingering ring of foam around the edge of the glass.

Pretty great smell, hoppy, citrusy, also with some sweet maltiness in the nose.

Taste is solid, nice bitterness on the leading edge, some grapefruit in the middle, morphs into a good malt finish with a good hoppy aftertaste.

Good carbonation brings out the bitterness, somewhat creamy in the mouth before swallowing. Clean.

Pretty easy drinking, doesn't seem too bitter for the 85 IBUs it claims to have. It could be that I'm just a bigger hophead than I once was. One bomber is enough for a session, and I may buy it again. (747 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This was poured out of a 22oz bottle.

Out of the bottle I was very impressed. There was an off white cream head that stuck around for a while. The color was a dark amber to copper tone.

The aroma was great! It had a complex malt-hop mix that was different than most DIPA's that are all hops aroma.

The taste was heavy and unimpressive. I most of the flavors melded together into an indistinguishable burn. I think there were some hints of pine, but they were all quickly erased by the harsh alcohol burn. Too much.

Mouth feel was thick and heavy. This drank like a stout and overstayed it's welcome on my tongue.

IMHO Great Divide pushes towards some great big beers, but needs to learn when to say when. I had a Saranac High Peaks side by side with this, both DIPA's and there was no comparing the two. One was thick heavy and a struggle to get down, the other smooth and full of character. I recommend the Saranac HP for anyone looking for a good DIPA.

*I need to disclose that I live in Syracuse (not far from Utica where Saranac is brewed) so I am always a little bias towards the home town brew. (1,120 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark, hazy orange with large lingering bubbles residing on top. Strong lacing of foam on all sides of the glass.
Smell: Pine, Pine, Pine with a hint of sweetness and then some more pine.
Taste: Very one dimensional pine throughout. Pine bitterness lingers for sometime after each swallow.
Mouthfeel: Lingering flavors create a coarse mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Not an all-nighter but a good beer if you are looking for a piney hop-bomb. Not for the Miller Lite crowd but something that quenches your craving for some HOPS. (540 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Hazy medium to dark amber. Somewhat of a light head, but it lasted well and had very nice lacing.

S - Not too strong but lots of piney hops with a hint of floral.

T - Starts very malty, a lot more than I thought. You can taste hints of toffee. Finishes with good solid piney-hop bitterness

M - Carbonation is medium and has a lot of body - especially the warmer it gets.

O - It's not as overly aggressive with the hops as most DIPAs which makes this a very drinkable double. Overall, I loved this one and plan on it frequenting my fridge this summer. (558 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%

1 PINT, 6 FL. OZ. Bomber

A: I was a little disappointed in the hazy appearance. No doubt this beer has a serious charge of dry hops which can be a detriment to clarity. However, as the beer warmed to 55 degrees, the clarity improved. Yup, captian, we have protien influenced chill haze present.

S: Sweet, Feathery Jesus...God and the baby Jesus, this beer smells like resiny, piney heaven with a slight aroma of malt goodness. I mean not a hint of the 9.1% ABV stated on the bottle.

T: The taste does not disappoint. Initial citrus, grapefruit flavor followed by a bit of caramel malt (I guess that's the only thing left after every other fermentable element was gobbled up). Finish is quite bitter...IBUs seem to be higher than the 85 IBUs stated on the bottle. Lingering bitterness that screams for a bite of gorgonzola cheese.

M: Well attenuated and a touch thin as expected. I like a little more body in my ideal IPA….nothing personal. To get that much alcohol you probably have to ferment every sugar available to the yeast.

D: I love this beer...but I could not knock back 2 or three of these in a sitting. This is definitely a sipping beer that should be accompanied with a meal or at least hors d'ourves.

O: This is the pinnacle of the Imperial IPA genre. Great Divide accomplished their objective: Make a big ole IPA that can be enjoyed by the novice or the most seasoned beer aficionado. (1,416 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 1pt, 6oz bottle into a Duvel stemed glass.

Colour was darker than i expected. Deep rust-like tones, warm hues. Nice think 1/2 inch head of frothy goodness also noted

The smell is good. Hopps, some citrus notes present. A very clean smell.

When it comes to IPAs, i tend to judge things around stone's Ruination. I'd say this is in the same ball park. Lot's of hopps, some blueberrry, and a bit of spice to the finish. A real lip smacker.

I could probably drink about 2. I think anything more would be overkill.

Good beer. Try one. (559 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Murky brown/amber colored with a large long lasting creamy head.

S - Citrus/piney hops, caramel and molasses maltyness.

T - Great balance achieved here. The malt backbone is strong and mighty, tasting of molasses and a slight burnt finish. The grapefruit and citrus flavored hops balance out the taste.

MF - Great mouth feel. Average carbonation to keep this beer from being sticky or oily.

D - Watch this one at 9.1% ABV. Very good DIPA. Let this one warm up a bit out of the refrigerator (498 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at the beer cave in camarillo, ca.

A- Dark red with a brownish hue. Head pours thick and sustains well

S- strong hoppy yet dry smell.

T- Malty undertones with strong hoppy presence. A slight smokiness fills the aftertaste.

M- strong presence but tastes great. Goes down smooth.

O- Great beer. Goes down easily and could definitely see myself drinking more in the future. (425 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Very excellent beer. Poured from a 22oz beer bomber in from a Tampa bar. Deep amber, reddish color. Solid, taste with a slight hoppy taste from your typical IPA but also offered a full, malt body. I am unsure of what a "double" IPA actually means, but its a fuller body than a normal IPA for sure. This was one excellent beer. Cheers. (334 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep rusty orange with thin cream head.

S: Good but not strong. Subtle, pleasant smell. Not as hoppy smelling as many good IPAs.

T/M: Great, smooth taste. Perfect balance between hoppy and malty. Not an overpowering taste, just balanced and smooth. No lingering bitter aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable. Not a porch-pounder but not too heavy. Considering its alcohol content, very easy to drink. (397 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer poured a little darker than an IPA would typically. The smell was also a little more malty than I would have imagined. The first sip was a little strong, but immediately after it mellowed out. The second sip to the end were very smooth and not strong at all. It ended up being a great tasting beer. When it was poured it didn't have a lot of head, but I don't think that is totally a bad thing. Definitely a beer to look for if you are in the mood for a Double IPA (473 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

I had purchased this 22oz bottle after reading some favorable reviews here. The first thing I noticed when I cracked it, was the floral aroma. Very reminiscent of Anchor Liberty, but not as pronounced. The color was a reddish amber and was very translucent. After swirling the glass, I noticed how great this beer smelled. Citrusy, Cascade hops dominated the aroma. Mouth feel was very full, and overall, the beer reminded me of Dogfish 90 minute, but not as intense.

The best word to describe this beer is 'balanced'. Even with the high IBU rating, this beer was loaded with malt and was not overbearing in the least.

I would buy it again, even though it was an outrageous $7.50 for a 22 oz. (700 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +7%

22oz bomber poured into a large wine glass

Pretty orange color fading into amber at the bottom. Slight cream colored head that leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass as I drink it.

It's got a strong hoppy smell, but not too intense from the 10%abv. Not much fruit, but more wood smell.

This is a very smooth IPA. Taste is a little hoppy at first, but its quickly followed by a wood-esque flavor. It's kinda thick in the mouth (lol).
The drinkability is pretty high I guess. I could drink about four of these then collapse in a pool of semen and vomit.

Overall it's a great IPA and the high alcohol doesn't give it much of a bite at all. One of my favorite double IPAs. (680 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle to chalice.

Poured amber/orangeish color.
Faint hops smell, with stronger citrus, and a little caramel.
Spicy/citrus taste. Very hoppy aftertaste I thought.
Medium bodied.
Couldn't drink a ton of this. Little too hoppy of my tastes.

Look forward to trying other Great Divide beers. (308 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours an inch of frothy, bubbly head. Looks like a real malt bomb, almost like an amber ale. Unfiltered. Nice sticky lacing blanketing the sides of my Bells tulip.

It smells of alcohol, toffee, caramel,and hoppy goodness.

Hop flavors of pine and citrus. The malt backbone very expressive in the terms of breadiness, earthy, and like biting into an almond. The flavor is about the highlight of this brew.

The hops charge in at the beginning of the tongue, rolls back with a nice amount of carbonation. Balanced decently, with a syrupy like consistency.

I could drink a few of these before my palate begins to die off. Decent but nothing to blow my mind. The 10% deff is masked well, reminds me in a way of a Double Bastard with the syrupy-like thickness. (758 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a snifter glass from a 1 pint 6 oz bottle. Bottled on 10/13/13, Drink 12/18/13

The color is very good for a double IPA, a deep golden light haze as the beer settles in the glass.

The smell on the nose is sweet fruity hops at first. Their is some alcohol present at the back-end but is mostly covered up by the fruitiness of the hops, or maybe malts?

This double IPA is honestly mildly bitter in my opinion. From the first taste I get notes of fruits and then citrus. I do get the presence of alcohol but it is very very mild for a 10% abv beer. Their is some bitterness on the after taste but not a lot.

Overall this is a great double IPA, very drinkable and I definitely recommend this if you have not tried it. Watch out though this beer will sneak up on you. (779 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look. If it isn't cloudy it simply is under hopped. This one is Nice and cloudy.
Smell. Nose full of hops
Taste. Hop forward. More malt than most but still overwhelmed by hops as a double IPA should be.
Feel. Appropriate.

Overall really enjoyed this beer. Dirty with hops as a double IPA should be. (302 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago. Obviously they pour into the proper glassware. Served in a flute, the appearance was a orange-ish gold. A good head of foam about a half-inch. Pretty well carbonated.
The smell, was a good sign of things to come. A blast of hoppy flavor through the nostrils gave a hint a number of spices.
The taste, a very hoppy bitter kick. Very potent. Works every part of the tongue. The aftertaste was a kick.
Very smooth in the mouth. Drinkability was really impressive. This is a must try for the hop lover. I would definitely have this again. (581 characters)

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company