Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,552 | Hads: 3,982
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

So lets see if this beer lives up to its mighty name.
Served from bottle into a hefe glass, this beer already smells fruity and sweet, almost peachy.
The color reflects the same. A cross between orange and peach color with a thick arrangement of floaties.
First taste brings a hop kick and a malty sweetness that comes through, but not enough to cover the alcohol taste at the finish.
Suprisingly this beer warmed nicely to a nectar taste and not much lacing to speak of, but altogether the beer improved as it reached its end.
I like the Eleven and the Maximus much better, but would recommend this to at least try if you like Double IPAs.

look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer - it reminded me of the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. The only weird thing is it had a bunch of floaties. It was like drinking a home brew - I had to leave the last 1/4" in the bottom.

Beyond that, this beer is actually on the sweeter side given that it's an IPA. Lots of malty citrus on the front end, some nice balanced fresh hop bit on the back. The alcohol was easier to detect compared to the Dogfish Head 90.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I expected a great beer and it proved to be so much more than that.

A- Toasted oak-amber colored. Slightly cloudy but quite inviting.

S- Dominant malt smell, with a caramel overtone. Subtle hints of spicy hops.

T- Well balanced, maltier than most Imperial IPAs i've tried. Almost too malty when compared with others within its class, but beautifully constructed when considered on its own.

M- Heavy. Smooth.

D- Very drinkable considering its alcohol content and final gravity.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Had a 12 oz serving at Uber tavern last night. This is a really big beer with an emphasis on malt and lesser so on hops as I prefer my IPA's. It drinks like a barley wine with a great syrupy mouthfeel. A bit too sweet for my tastes.

appearance: Nice deep copper color with slight head.

Smell: Big malty nose

taste: Lot of sweetness with minor amount of bittering hops with perhaps some floral that comes from dry hopping?

Mouthfeel: Fantastic, you know you've got a meal in your glass!

Overall: A nice beer if you like your beers big with a lot of malty sweetness. I would prefer something more aggressively hopped.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Very impressive overall.

Strong ABV, but hidden well by the high hops. Good bit of yeast floats at the bottom of this one. (not a bad thing.) Appearance and mouthfeel are as good as any out there!

Special Note: My wife tried to annoy me by attempting to chug this one down before I could try it. I HAD THE LAST LAUGH, as she shuddered for 10 minutes afterward! This is definitely an intensely flavored sipping beer... enjoy at your leisure.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Bought on recommendation from an employee at Big C's liquor, comes in a four pack for 9 bucks. Pours an inviting light amber/ copper colour, with a finger of white bubbly head. In the nose I get mainly alcohol and malt, with the hops not as present although for a double ipa I expected them to be more prominent. The hops really come through in the taste and give balance to the sweet malts and syrupy alcohol. The flavour also develops nicely over the palate, showcasing each of the individual ingredients nicely. Although I am not a fan of a syrupy mouthfeel in beers it is hard to avoid in a 10%abv brew and this beer does a good job of covering it up.

Excellent brew, would heartily advise any IPA lover to give it a try!

- Cheers, matt

3.86/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bomber into a pint glass. Bottled 2/7/14.

A: Pours a deep clear reddish brown, darker than expected. Off-white thin head, but pretty lacing. An aggressive pour on the second bomber yielded a thick two fingered head that thinned slowly.

S: A little piney and earthy. Not strong at all.

T: Smooth pineyness up front, some grapefruit at the end. Very nice drying bitterness late. More piney/earthy than citrusy. ABV 10% really well hidden.

M: Medium carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: One of the best Colorado DIPAs. Smooth early, bitter late. Extremely drinkable for the alcohol content. Not as complex as some of the best west coast and Vermont DIPAs, but very solid.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

This is my first review and I chose a doozy of a beer for number one. I love IPAs so it only stood to reason that I would love an IPA on steriods. Geeeezus...thats what came out of my mouth after the first sip. My tongue was not ready for that. I almost wish this weren't a double because I think without the high alch. content it would be amazing. Its still quite good nevertheless.

Appearance- Beautiful beer. poured a redish orange with a big frothy head that lasted.

Smell-ah, I love the IPA smell. Very fresh and earthy. Stings the nostrils.

Taste- all I can think of is fresh cut grass, or some sort of herb. Very fresh and crisp but I think the alchahol content takes away from the crispness I love in IPAs. Still, delicious.

MF-Kinda sticky, leaves a grassy film in the mouth.

drinkability- not as drinkable as the normal IPAs I like, but for its alchahol content it is very, very drinkable.

Overall-I wan't ready for the biggness of this beer although I don't know why it bieng called Hercules and all. The more I drank the more I got over this bigness and really enjoyed the fresh grassy goodness. Good stuff.

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I had this @ the brewery

Appearance: A light golden color

Smell: Hoppy, but not as strong as most double IPAs I've had.

Taste: Hoppy but not as bitter as I was expecting.
Mouth: kind of a oilyness to it but not in a bad way.
Drinkability: I could drink it all day.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

From a 12 oz. bottle, poured an orangish amber with lots of lacing. The hops definitely comes through on the nose but with some caramel maltiness also.

It has a nutty/caramel sweetness come through up front but then BAM comes that hops. The hops come through as citrus and piny finishing with a very nice floral flavor.

The mouth feel and viscosity of the beer is great as it allows those citrus/piny/floral notes to linger. It has excellent drinkability and I honestly wish i had one (or two) more to go with this one.

4.5/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: Chamois in color, very pleasing tone for an American Double IPA. Leaves a almost true white cascade that holds slightly to the glass.
Smell: Citrus, almost ripe Cara cara naval orange inviting a sweet smell of musty ripeness.
Taste: 1st impression was a 3.5, but as I sat with it and temperature fell this beer started to come into its own. Citrus upfront, bitterness at the end, but most importantly, a beautiful malty carbonated treat. Almost like grapefruit with sugar in the raw sprinkled over and left to penetrate.
Feel: A strong presence of citrus without the acidity. Activated bitter to the sides of the tongue and a pleasant feel at the back roof of the mouth.

Delicious.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, drinking this beer is basically no different than just eating a handful of hops. In all seriousness, this is a great beer. It pours a beautiful rich red amber with a slight haze. Lacing with a disappearing head. This beer hits you across the face with hops, and the sting stays with you throughout the whole experience. Great hop balance!

3.76/5  rDev -9%

Had this beer on nitro-tap at a local bar. Heavy and dark amber in color. Very citrus smell which makes sense for a 10% alch beer. Not as hoppy as I would have expected form a double IPA but hops are definitely there. Lots of caramel malt and citrus flavors are pretty forthcoming. Overall a really good beer drink a few of these and you'll be feeling good.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a deep amber beer with strong beige head, it smell hoppy and fruity : banana feeling. Small carbonation, first taste clearly malty and sweet turns into strong hoppiness. The bitterness is agressive due to double quantities. When the aftertaste comes, you feel it straight. Good mix bettween malts and hops.

The icon. The measuring stick. The ideal to which all DIPAs must be compared. Balance, balance, balance. Hoppy, malty, yeasty, an aroma to die for. I hate the funkiness of Simcoe hops - none apparent here. I don't care for the onion / garlic overtones of Summit hops - none apparent here. What's here is an intense hop profile with 10% ABV that's so earthy, so balanced, so nuanced, that you really have to exercise some restraint to not forget what a kick in he backside you're enjoying. I've never had Heady Topper or either of the Plinys - they're on my "Ice Bucket" List. I'll try them when I get the chance but I'll be shocked, really shocked, if they measure up to Hercules, according to my palate. This is as good as it gets.

4.39/5  rDev +6.3%

Tasted at brewery tap room during GABF, Sept. 2006. A crisp rusty autumn color with a fluffy head that clung to the glass. An incredible fresh, vegetal citrusy aroma that filled the large tasting room bowl glass. The taste left solid impressions from front to back with good balance between malt and hop without too much citrus. This was one good beer. Would like to have tasted it with some more age.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a perfect reddish-amber into my St. Feuillien glass. Small head, but sticks around forever, and some nice lacing.

Aroma is classic big IPA...pine, citrus, and alcohol. Good stuff.

Taste is a huge hops blast...delicious if you love this style. As it warms, some malts come through, but this is a big hop beer.

Mouthfeel is great...neither too thick nor too thin. Very drinkable given the hops assault.

This is a great exemplar of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

A: dark copper color, didn't have much of a head at all

S: very hoppy, pine smell too it.

M: has a mild carbonation, leaves a bitter aftertaste as well as a chewy feeling in your mouth.

T: a bitter, piney, caramel taste. Has a heavy taste of hops, typical of an IPA.

O: this is a pretty good beer. It has almost an overwhelming hoppy/bitter taste to it. It is also a strong beer, with a 10% ABV so it can sneak up on you quickly. Overall, a good beer, though not the best IPA that I have ever had.

Beer was served from a bottle into a glass mug

3.87/5  rDev -6.3%

This is a delicious dipa, yet a bit unusual in its flavor. The smell of this beer doesnt seem to quite match the taste, being quite a delicious piney ipa smell. I have to say that the taste distinctively resembles the Yeti (stout from the same company). I can only assume they share some malt/hops combo that are not commonly used in other ipa's. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but it is an overwhelming flavor on the end swallow.

On the whole this is a delicious and well balanced beer, you will definitely want to try it if you've grown bored with "typical" ipa's.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.8/5.0
Left very nice lacing on my glass. Head was thick and frothy. Taste was very crisp, slightly sweet and citrusy, exceptionally smooth, not too heavy. It was not as carbonated a I expected but it was balanced very well to give a nice mouthfeel. Hoppy taste lingers on the tongue for a satisfying aftertaste. Overall my favorite DIPA to date, I'd put it over six point resin (mainly due to the drinkability of Hercules)

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%

Beautiful beer.

Surprising to me was how light colored this beer was compared to differend double IPA's that I've tried. Very light tannish color.

Hop explosion is all I can say about this one. They are everywhere hard to identify it all it hits you so much. Not as bitter as I was expecting but exceptional hop profile.
Decent malt background without being too cloying as other examples seem to be in my experience.

Overall a very smooth DIPA one of the smoothest I've tried so far. Definate recommendation.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

I love DIPA's and this was a new product available in my area.

A- Beer poured with a decent but shallow frothy head. Color is light amber leaning towards a golden amber. After a sip the head remains and left some foam on the glass as well.

S- There is a good balance between hop and malt aroma. I pick up a spicy sweet aroma from the malt but the floral aroma from the hops.

T- At 85 IBU's this is a well balanced beer. There is some spice at the end maybe from the alcohol but it is not prominent. The malt flavor is not annoyingly sweet and the hops balance out the sweetness that is present.

M- Medium-high carbonation with a mouth stimulating taste of hops.

D- I like this, but I would not be able to drink this all day. It would best go after a light meal.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Served chilled into an oversized wine glass

Appearance: Very dark for a DIPA, looks like a barleywine. I've been aging this beer for almost 2 years (bottled August 12 2009) but I don't think that affects the color. Frothy head, recedes quickly most likely because of the 10% ABV

Smell: Citrusy hop aromas are still present but the aroma is really dominated by the malt. Normally I like hop-forward DIPAs but this malt actually smells great. A caramelly sweetness matches the hop smells very well

Taste: The hops are still present here but no doubt have lost much of their bite, I'll have to grab a fresh version of this beer to check it out sometime. Hop bitterness is strong, a nice kick in the taste buds. The malt provides an aftertaste of molasses which complements the hops very well. At this point in its lifetime, Hercules tastes more like a Barleywine than a DIPA but is still delicious.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and thick, expands in the mouth. Surprisingly well carbonated for being almost 2 years old.

Overall: As I said above, at almost 2 years old Hercules DIPA really better resembles a Barleywine. Nonetheless, it is still delicious. Great Divide has another winner here. I'll be on the lookout for a fresh one to really do the hops justice.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hops, hops and more hops.

Enjoyed this on a cool New England evening. Served in a goblet. Nice head, with a fragrant bouquet that was hoppy to the point of being quite herbal without any skunkiness.

Color is a beautiful amber that is a fine match for the flavor and full/warm mouth feel.

This is a VERY hoppy brew that is heavier than the traditional IPA without being overpowering. I enjoyed taking my time with this, as it really blossomed as it warmed. One to savor for the ages!

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a beautiful orange/deep amber color with an off-white head that just lasts and lasts. Clingy lacing coated the glass from top to bottom.

Smells of citrus and hops, bready, with a hint of oily pine. Enticing.

A bold flavor of hops firmly hits the palate at first, not overwhelmingly bitter, yet strong. The beer retains a hint of its citrus flavor throughout, though hops dominate. Citrus flavor is strongest at the tip of the tongue. This beer's flavor is rather complex and difficult to put into words- but very tasty!

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy. Very very smooth, with a slight dry finish.

A very drinkable beer, this one's strength is deceptive. It's a sipping beer for sure, but it's smooth, balanced flavor makes one want to drink more.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company