Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros

Aroma (3.5): Good enough aroma. Not a huge crazy aroma, but makes you want to drink it.
Appearance (4): Good color. Not as dark as I was expecting, but a nice dark red/amber color.
Taste (4): I was not impressed with my first sip. But the more I got into it, the more I got the sweet, caramel taste, along with the hops. Definitely has a bit of a boozy taste. Not sure if that's a compliment or not . . .
Palate (4): Has a good mouthfeel. Smooth, doesn't have a real lingering aftertaste.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance Comes down like a red amber/copper in my snifter. Giving a 1/2 finger of cap, leaving 1 finger lacings.

Smell Seriously, this brew’s aroma is like a raging bull running the streets of Pamplona. I’m about one foot away from my glass and already it’s like I’m drowning in the DIPA. It’s a complex story starring tobacco, smoke, orange rind, honey and lime all embedded in the subtlest aromatic hops.

Taste Boat loads of sugary sweetness, alcoholic and sticky but freakishly smooth. Contains cereals, nuts, oranges and pink grape fruits. In the background is an everlasting steady hops aroma lurking.

Mouthfeel Creamy and smooth liquid, prickling alcoholic presence and tickleishly carbonated.

Great Scott! This is bold and brave stuff. My preconceptions were… well I had none. I know this DIPA’s been around for several years but I like stumbling in the dark until I find light, or gold for that matter, which I did here. This is one heck of a DIPA. Now I’m really excited to sample the bottle of Grand Cru sitting on the shelf back home. Great Divide? Great Beer!

3.51/5  rDev -14.8%

Dennis: The aroma off this is misleading, almost barley wine like, certainly not dry hopped. But that doesn't really reflect the true body. Pouring thick, almost like apricot nectar, this delivers with a high bitterness that hides the 9% alcohol very well. By the end of the glass though, it will sneak up on you. Very well done, enjoyable and hoppy in substance, but not show. The only real issue I have with this is the amount of sediment in the bottle was excessive.
Jen: This is a bitter, hoppy beer with a mild malt backbone, only to end with a smack of hops in your face! I don't really taste the alcohol, translation: goes down fairly smoothly. It has a dry finish with a nice light carbonation. Definitely drinkable!

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

All I can say is WOW! Picked up this Double IPA from Simmones Beverage in Lakewood Ohio as an individual bottle for $3.75. Poured from bottle into nice clean pint glass. Appearance was good with about 1/4 inch of head and smell was inviting. First sip was smooth and the head had a great feel and enhanced the mouthfell. I was suprised by how well they hide this 9.10 ABV. It drinks so good but your better not overdue it with this one. I know I could have. Cant wait to get back to Simmones to pick up a four pack. If you enjoy double/imperial IPAs then this is a must try.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours to golden orange amber with a great head and plenty of lacing. Smells sweet and hopy with a hint of pine and alcohol. The taste is sweet up front with a nice hop presence to balance it out and just a bit of alcohol to taste. MMM good beer! Mouthfeel was creamy and light with good carbonation. Drinkability was great! I want another one but everyone was leaving the bar. Guess I have to wait till next time.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.16/5  rDev -23.3%

I can see why many like this beer--it's very flavorful and it wakes up your mouth, which seems to be a strength of Great Divide brews in general. But it is way too sweet for an IPA--or dipa in this case. It's like a saccharine, syrupy European fall-winter beer, with a touch of a hop bite. Bottle copy says Hercules "is not for the faint of heart...delivers a huge amount of hops from start to finish." Um, no. It's sweet as candy and the supposed 85 IBUs are totally masked. Appearance also not good in my six-month-old bottle--many floaties.

3.5/5  rDev -15%