Hercules Double IPA - Great Divide Brewing Company

Hercules Double IPAHercules Double IPA

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: filabrazilia on 04-11-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hercules Double IPA Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

The 22oz bomber poured a deep, hazy copper color. The smell pours out of the bottle. The scent is dominated with a citrusy and piney aroma from the massive amount of hops in this one. There is definitely a strong malt background, but is dominated by the flavors from the hops and alcohol. Its amazing how hoppy yet how balanced the flavor is. It is very intense yet clean. I'm thinking this is what is meant by "Double" IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Notch marks at June and the number 1 whatever that means. 12 oz.
Tasting next to a DFH 90 Min.

Super malty compared to the DFH 90. Slightly darker brown-orange color. Add some roasted coffee beans to a sweet DIPA like the DFH 90 and you have the Hercules. Thicker mouthfeel. Slightly less drinkable for me. "Viscous" my friend says.

App - 4.5, Smell - 3.5, Taste - 4.0, Mouth - 4.5, Drink - 4.0

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Amber-orange color - 1-inch head

S - Citrus, hops, little bit of alcohol

T - Bitter, orange, alcohol, not too complex, not too syrupy like some double IPAs

M - soft, good, medium bodied

D - easy and nice drinking except for a little alcohol burn

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

In a chalice. Very standard double IPA material. It doesn't disappoint from my other Great Divide experiences (most notably Titan). A friend says this smells like college, and part of that meaning the slight marijuana scent; I don't get as much of that as she does, but it's present. It's a very pretty specimen, a light frothy head lessening into scant foam lingering in the middle of the top of the beer and around the sides. The maltiness is very pronounced, but it balances out the hops well. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said!

I've had two bottles of this and one was fantastic and the other was dumped without finishing. The former was purchased at Coasters in Indian Harbor Beach, FL. The latter was purchased at what I thought was a good beer and wine store, however the date on it indicated that it was bottled almost 1.5 years ago and I guess that makes all the difference.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Nice amber color a small amount of head that disappears quickly. Smells of hops, pine and citrus. Nice citrus flavor from the hops up front followed by a piney bitter taste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. Drinkability, this is a tasty Double IPA that goes down easy.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Colour is a warm copper with very little head.

Delicious scent of sweet caramel & grapefruit. Alcohol not overpowering.

Perfect hoppy grapefruit blended with a sweet raisin malt. Outstanding!

Enough carbonation to keep all components in play for an above average taste.

Surprizingly this brew moved up to my top 3. Hercules will be a staple in my frig. It's what I love... a sweet hoppy bite blended perfectly.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

The Titan IPA has a rich reddish coppery color, is semi foggy, and has a thick tall yellowy head. Very foamy. The taste it nice and hoppy with some herbal and nutty notes. It's also very, very malty. Mouthfeel is good, medium to heavy body. Drinkability is pleasing.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

I found a 22oz bottle of Hercules at Cherry Hill Market in Grand Rapids. I had been on a real DIPA kick recently and thought I would give this a try because I really enjoyed the Yeti from Great Divide (also from a 22oz) when I had it a couple of months ago. I poured this brew into a pint glass.

A- A glowing dark amber/copper with a frothy, white head that quickly descends leaving behind traces at the top of my glass. A slightly thicker, darker look than most IIPAs I've had recently.

S- A citrus aroma trailed to the hole by piney, acidic hops. Slight traces of very floral alcohol in the backgroud. Quintessential DIPA smell.

T- Ahh! Each sip, large or small, starts kind of fruity/sweet but quickly turns resinous and hoppy. I expected an alcoholic aftertaste but was treated instead to a lovely bitter sensation.

MF- The hops and bitters are like a bomb going off and sort of dominate anything else. Granted, this is something I enjoy; so know that this beer is big in your mouth and will leave you with a prickly, bitter pine sensation mitigated by the citrus aroma.

D- It tasted so good that I wanted, against my better judgment, another one of these. Good thing I just had the 22oz. Look, it's a thick, alpha male type of IIPA which is great but not really something you want to too many of.

Overall, Hercules stacked up quite well against the likes of Hopslam, Double Trouble, Twin Sisters, Ruination and DFH 90. It was certainly thicker than any of them but in many ways it was also bolder. Of all of those DIPAs, the one it is most similar to is DFH 90 min. The description of Hopslam is a "bitter, tongue bruiser".... that would actually be a better description of Hercules which is not a particularly subtle DIPA; though whether you think it is the worse for it is debatable. I liked it a lot.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - rich amber with a frothy finger width head that, at this very moment, is slowly disappating. The disappating head leaves a film on the sides of my beer goblet. 5 minutes or so after I first check the aroma, I am now detecting some caramel notes.

S - frighteningly PINE! I'm a malt head so I'm very scared right now. This is a clean, fragrant, and crisp pine aroma with something slightly floral or "planty" in the background. The best way to describe the "planty" aroma is like that "planty" smell you get from a good bag of doobage (sorry, but that's the best description I can offer).

T - WOW! hoppy with a rich and deep malty middle followed by a hoppy finish. THEN there is a subtle alcohol warming BUT this does not taste boozy in any way, shape, or form. AND I find myself savoring this hoppy flavor... I'm not sure. That malty middle is fantastic! There is a warmth about it. Okay, I know I need to say something that identifies the particular flavor notes I am gathering BUT this is, in my opinion, has a balance about it that I find amazing.

M - full bodied texture and just shy of neary chewy. carbonation seems just right - mild but apparent and quite noticeable (fine and tiny prickly bubbles on the tongue).

D - I started this beer less than 10 minutes ago and its almost gone. GREAT drinkability!

Okay, if you are to have this beer, let it warm a bit. This is an amazing beer. I will buy this again AND tell my friends about this. This beer is so good that I am a malt head (I think but this beer leaves me unsure now) AND I can easily label this as one of my "go to beers". This beer is "hot"!

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Bomber I got as a gift poured into a pint glass.

A: A nice copper colour with a beautiful, creamy white head.

S: Surprisingly mild smell. I expected a hop punch, but got hops and fruity esters in a pleasing, easy on the nose aroma.

T: A strong hop flavor that is well balanced with hints of nutty and sweet malts.

M: Very creamy, fullbodied brew.

O: This is a great big IPA, but goes down easier than some pales thanks to it's balance and creamy body. 85 IBU's has never been so smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In the glass, this one looks great: deep copper color, 1-2 finger head which settles gradually, but not too gradually (i.e. not over-carbonated).

However, the smell is a surprise. Predominantly yeasty/malty, the smell is not exactly bad, but I wouldn't describe it as a good DIPA aroma, either...unusual.

Unlike the smell, the taste is very crisp and hoppy -- much closer to what I was expecting out of a DIPA from Great Divide (Old Ruffian is one of my favorite beers of all time, so I bought this bomber with high hopes).

Overall, this is a better than average DIPA, but I found the smell to be very surprising. With most of my favorite DIPAs (e.g. DFH 90, Saint Arnold Endeavor), there is a very close correlation between taste and smell, but I had to enjoy this one in spite of its smell (again, it worked very well once on the palate).

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.13/5  rDev 0%

The Herc has a medium-brown color, like a copper or rust. The head recedes fairly quickly and leaves nice lacing around the edge of the glass and faintly on the surface. The smell is fairly subtle, with hints of hops (of course) as well as floral-citrus. The first sip is very hoppy, but as it warms slightly you can better detect the blend of sweet and bitter, malt and hops, although even as a double IPA the hops don't overpower so the balance is well done. The citrus continues in the taste as well. There is a noticeable amount of carbonation, but nothing out of the ordinary, it leaves a very clean finish. All in all a very good double IPA, several of these could be polished off before the abv catches up to you.

Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company