Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 4,341

Yes. This is a fabulous beer. Think, chocolate malted, fluffy, compact, long standing head. Aromas of bitter chocolate, dark roast coffee, and oh yeah oak. Quite a bit of hop aroma also. Very mouth filling. Viscous. Roasted malts and big hop bitterness. I’d kill for a case.

Is a tamed yeti as good as a regular one? let's find out. Pours dark matter black, like the blackness of being in outer space; with one inch of the darkest colored head I've ever seen. Quite spooky actually.

The nose has an "ooo" like quality. Big and boozey. Fresh vanilla and bourbon. Ripe dark fruits lay underneath the dominant scents as well.

Wow. A totally different monster. All the beautiful yeti like qualities are there but without the in your face tongue slapping destruction (which I do love, but this is nice too) . Sweet chocolate covered vanilla beans in a thick and creamy body. The flavors are so incredibly blended and well strung together. All the elegance of yeti without it's harsh nature. Sweetness balanced by a bitter black chocolate and slightly oaky finish. The perfect amount of oak too, just a touch.

There's no comparing the two beers. They are totally different monsters, but damn are they both delicious.

Got this beauty today from a good friend. Turns out to be a vintage Oct 07 2010 bottle.

Chilled to cellar temp

A- poured beautiful black with a dark tan head

S- amazing. Deep roasted chocolate malt, alcohol, charred oak. It's hard to say in words.

T- Roasted caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla, bitter hops but finishes smooth with alcohol and charred oak.

M- Great body, almost chewy. Good carbonation.

O- One of the best oak aged stouts that I have ever tried

Turns out the place my friend got this has several more. I'm going to purchase the rest tomorrow.

O! M! G!

Appearance: You wanna talk dark... don't think I've ever seen a beer as dark as this. Even the head is dark- a rather dark brown.
Smell: Usually, when I read about the wood in which a beer is aged, I almost have to take their word for it. But, with this beer, I actually *smelled* the oak. Very impressive.
Taste: And the hits just keep on coming. Incredibly rich, malty backbone, with just the littlest bit of hops hanging around. I even taste a bit of chocolate.
Mouthfeel: It's almost creamy.

Do you get the impression that I loved this beer?

The Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is by far the best of both the Oak Aged beers and of the Stouts that I have ever tasted. It's chocolaty smell mixes perfectly with it's warm, smooth, rich taste to create wonderful drink-ability in a beer this high in ABV. Beautifully black with a nice hue of brown around the head, this beer pours well and releases a nice rich aroma at the start. Remarkably smooth for a stout with a lingering aftertaste of chocolate. Perfect to drink on it own, to pair with a desert or even a roast.

It was such a great beer that I have been on a hunt for all stores in the area that sell it. I can't wait to talk to the Great Divide brewers at the Craft Brewing Festival.

Most excellent stout. Picked up a 1/6th bbl for $40 ! And, it is April 2015, this was kegged in Nov, 2013 !!! The distributor blew it out as "old stock". I will try to explain my excitement over this stout. When released, I thought it was over boozy, raw cocoa slushed around without working it into the malt profile. Speaking of balance, that 75 IBU's wasn't welcome much either. Well, a year and a half later all that has changed for the better. Smooth pour, firm chocolate foam, thick almost syrupy body, potent wood aroma without a sting of alcohol and surprise - there are good hops there to bring down the sweetness. Really really loved this beer, marvelous balance - one for the record books for me.

This beer was amazing! very heavy looking beer with a pretty high alcohol content, but this beer went down surprisingly very smooth! one of the better stouts I've had. I highly recommend this one for any one who likes dark beer and stouts.

Poured into a New Belgium Globe (Sorry GD, the tulip is dirty)
A- Pours a thick inky black. No light can pierce this wonderful bastard. Topped with a nice, dark, creamy head. Dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving a nice layer and a lot of lacing. Head kind of reminds me of a cherry stout (hmmmm, cherry yeti, awesome idea, if I do say so myself.)
S- Another home run. BIG roasted malt notes here. Vanilla heavily underlies the roast. Maybe a hint of smoke, and I get a bit of cherries as well.
T&M- Thick and inky. The mouth feel on this is huge. Very big bodied. Big roasty malts, backed by strong oak and vanilla. Finishes with just a touch of hops. An incredibly smooth brew, far better than the standard yeti, though I think I still prefer the Espresso.
D- Drinkablility is remarkable for a beer that is 9.5 ABV and an advertised 75 IBU's.

I was wondering when I might meet a perfect beer. Well, alas, I found one. This beer is truly exceptional to me. It pours a wonderful thick black creating a large creamy tan head. Lacing remains all over the glass. I get numerous aromas from this beer: vanilla, oak, whiskey, malts. Beautiful! The taste is incredible and very complex actually. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and even a fair amount of hops which is great. I feel like I'm drinking an amazing desert. It's criminal that I only paid $6.99 for this bomber, haha! The mouthfeel is thick and almost syrupy. For such a complex beer, this is so drinkable. Thank you Great Divide for this amazing brew!

Let me start by saying that I love Imperial Stouts.

A: Black as the blood of a Yeti. This beer is entirely opaque. Light could not even penetrate the thin stream of this bold brew as I poured it into my snifter. It formed and retained a deep caramel head.

S: Bitter chocolate, oak, vanilla, espresso.

T: Wow.

M: Absolutely massive. The alcohol warms you as it goes down but it is masked perfectly.

D: Respect the Yeti. I will be having this again. Worth the price.

I try not to over rate beers, so I feel weird handing out 5's but this beer deserves it. It is exactly what you would hope for for this style.

I had it for NYE and split with a friend, poured into a flute.

Appearance is black, gold/copper head- a nice head, more than most RIS.

S- Chocolate and malts are the most prominent. Also coffee and you can smell the alcohol, but not overpowering. Somewhat hidden for 9.5%

T- Amazing. Bitter chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts. The most surprising thing is how much the alcohol is hidden. I like a boozy finish, but this was an art how well they hide 9.5% amidst the strength of the other flavors. If was so smooth.

M- Much higher carbonation that most RIS, but it works. Full body, but crazy smooth. My glass was gone way too quick.

O- Great beer. I paid 8 bucks and it was also a great value IMO.

Pint 9oz bottle.

Poured a lustrious black color with a dark brown head on it. Strong aroma, with a great nose of hops and chocolate. Really strong flavors, especially the hops, but they were balanced so well that it tasted very smooth to me. Even though its 9.5% ABV, I didn't find that part to be overpowering and provided a fantastic kick to the flavors present. The effects of the aging process using the oak chips described by the brewery really adds another level of taste to an already very good Imperial Russian Stout. Highly recommend it if you've never had it.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

A - Pours a jet black with a thick tan foamy head that sticks to the glass like glue.

S - Lots of chocolate, lots of molasses, very sweet and also some roastyness. Notes of Vanilla and hints of oak. Wonderful smell for an imperial stout.

T - Taste is full of malt, chocolate, vanilla, oak, with an aftertaste of sweet chocolate.

M - Creamy, rich and smooth with a fantastic aftertaste.

Overall, it's an amazing Imperial Stout. A bit more expensive than I would like to pay, but a great treat.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured a 650ml bomber down the center of a Duvel Snifter glass.
Beer bottled on Oct. 07, 2010. Bought the beer when it was fresh and kept in my cellar for almost a year.

Appearance: Poured thick, color is dark as night, carbonation is just right, poured a fingers worth of dark brown head, and the head dissipated pretty quickly.

Smell: Oak chips, alcohol, chocolate, vanilla tones, dark fruits, coffee, piney hops, dark roasted malts, raisins and licorice.

Taste: I tasted everything that I smelled from this beer. Complex, but a very well balanced Imperial Stout overall! Everything comes together so well like a well assembled symphony orchestra. The alcohol is well masked and the beer is very drinkable. The wood/oak/vanilla tones are just perfect and they don't dominate. Everything that I taste is everything that I anticipated from this huge huge beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full bodied, coats your entire mouth and throat, and gives your body a comfortable warm feeling by the time your finished with your first glass.

Overall: Bravo, Great Divide Brewing Co.!!! This was the best oak aged imperial stout that I have ever had and I will be definitely buying more of this stuff in the future. What I liked the most about this beer was the overall balance of this beastly brew. This beer was just simply amazing! Now all I have to try is the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti RIS and I can't wait!!!

A monster of a stout!
Pours Dark brown/black with a 1/2 inch billowing dark brown head. The head disipates fast but the lacing on the side of the glass coats.
Smells of dark chocolate..the fine kind. Dark chewy fruits such as dates and figs. Smells toasty and smokey too! Some alcohol and sweet malts on the second and third smells. I continued to smell this one at least 30 times! Kept coming up with more and more....
The first taste started with a whipped chololate tirimisu type desert quickly leading into a smoky and burnt flavor. Then the hops kick in....really. Nice bitter aftertaste. After several SIPS, I noticed more of the alcohol, but only alongside the hop bitterness in the aftertaste.
The mouthfeel for me is pure beer heaven! Creamy chocolate tirimisu start followed by a full hop and alcohol finish...smooth creamy leading into bitterness.. Exceptional!

This is a great oak aged beer. It reminds me of Brander wine you find in the Santa Barbara mountains. This beer is as complex as great 100 dollar pluss bottles of the best oak aged wines. I am now a true beliver in craft beers being better than any wines out there.
I want this one again on an extremely special occasion...like after a 2 week backpacking trip in the Sierra Nevadas...I will have this one waiting in my vehicle for when I come down the trailhead..the only thing I worry about is I hope this great smell does not go THROUGH the bottle and attract the bears as I am away!

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Holy cow!

Right away everything about this beer is awesome. It looks great, smells great and taste great! Every sip you take make you want to take another.

The flavors that come out are heavily of chocolate then coffee and hints of vanilla (from the oak aging process).

This beer is definitely appreciated more once you compare it side to side to its brother, Yeti Imperial Stout. The oak-aging really smoothens out some flavors and brings others out.

Another one of my top 3 favorites of all time.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottled: 9/11/12

BOOM! Massive four-finger, milk chocolate, bubbly, foamy head. Brew is nasty thick and oil black. Great appearance. The rare 5.

Great oaky scent. Chocolate, roasty, deep, malty, vanilla; delicious.

Awesome, smooth, delicious. Tons of dark, deep vanilla chocolate that fits the beer absolutely perfect. Heat is detectable, but not over bearing. Amazing blend of flavor and bitter-sweetness.. The only deduction was for over carbonation.

This brew was an awesome eye opener as to what is constantly overlooked and readily available most of the year. Highly recommended! Nice work, GDBC

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

The regular Yeti is an excellent, bitter Imperial Stout, but the oak aging sends it "over the top," imparting a lovely sweetness and complexity that makes it one of the most memorable beers of the year. Had it at Far Bar in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles.

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Poured a thick, syrupy jet black, with a dark tan finger of imposing foam that crests this gloriously dark beer. Looks like something special!

S - Wood, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, sweet molasses, roasted coffee, more vanilla, cream. Smells unbelievable.

T - Good lord! So flavorful, so deep. It's like a beer milkshake of some kind. Sweet, rich notes of smokey roasted wood, coffee beans, marmalade, milk chocolate fighting dark chocolate, vanilla dancing with cocoa, a glass of iced coffee, a barbecue next to an ice cream machine... I was overwhelmed by flavor after flavor. Each taste was subtly different but still hating the same pool of vivid flavors. Easily one of the best flavors I've witnessed in an RIS, and I'm instantly in love.

M - Thick, creamy, enjoyable. Foams just right, goes down like a glass of milk, and leaves the tummy warm and satisfied. I love this beer!

O - I wish I could find about 20 bottles of this. I believe I'd drink 2 a year for the next ten years. It's so good you don't WANT a lot of it, because of how satisfying and special the first serving is. This is no everyday beer, but it's the kind of beer that you'll remember every tasting of as being unique and enjoyable. Easily one of my top ten, probably top 3 beer experiences ever.

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

A- Poured out of the bottle in slow motion. You could tell its thickness immediately. Pitch black in the glass with an incredible 2 finger, creamy, rich brown head. Outstanding lacing. Noticeable alcohol legs.

S- Both dark and milk chocolate, vanilla, rich dark fruits: cherry, plum, fig. Caramel, toffee, slight booze as an accent, tropical fruit and pine.

T- Massive rich chocolate accented by dark fruits up front. Vanilla, oak, citrus, and pine join the party soon after. Licorice pops in and out. Finish is a mix of dark chocolate, pine, and dark roast coffee. Nice slightly lingering bitterness.

M- Medium thick body. Not as thick as the pour suggested it would be. Creamy on the tongue and drying.

O- To me, every aspect of this beer was either perfect or dangerously close to it. The entire time I had it in the glass, I was almost dumbfounded by it... I don't know if it will score the highest on my list after I click "review", but my god, did it try.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Was in Denver for a conference and happened by the brewery (on purpose). The tour was unimpressive, but this beer stood out.

I love the Stone Imperial Stout and thought it was decadent. But the added Oak aging of this one gave it a subtelty and butteryness that is hard to match.

I think it would make a fantastic beer float but I wouldn't want to dilute it.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Opaque in color with the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer. Sticky lacing lines the sides of the glass. OH MAN the smell is inviting. Chocolate Covered Cherries, Vanilla, and Espresso coffee beans. Taste is a rich dark chocolate with some dark roasted coffee and hints of vanilla with citrus and piney hops. All of this flavor meshes into one of the best beers I've ever had. Mouthfeel is full and silky smooth and the 9.5% is masked beautifully. I've had most of the top rated stouts and this one just might be my favorite.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A - black opaque body, with brown head. Very resillient lacing.
S - charred wood aroma
T - slightly sweet, a hint of licorice? Big malt and big alcohol are nicely balanced. Less bitter than the other yeti.
M - Very smooth, with mini-carbonation.
D - This is a huge beer, in a big bottle, it would be rough to get through one of these by myself.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Bomber into snifter.

Impossibly dark beer, which absolutely no light can pass through. Deep brown thick head with decent retention. When the head settles it turns into a beautiful pillowy swirls. Eventually turns into a strong rim along the glass, which thins as the level of beer lowers. The lacing forms lines along the glass.

Deep molasses scents along with warm alcoholic notes. Hints of red maraschino cherries that you find on the top of the whipped cream.

Highly roasted coffee is found in this delightfully full beer, with shots of espresso-like flavor mixed in. The lower carbonation gives it a thick oily mouthfeel that sticks to your mouth and allows the bitter flavors to linger forever. Mild sugary fruit flavors can be tasted throughout. The alcohol is present but not overwhelming, giving it a dry but highly sippable finish.

By far one of my favorite beers so far. The $9 price tag was well worth it. There isn't much difference between the regular Yeti and this Oak Aged one, but this one is much mellower and comes with a much higher drinkability. The 9.5 percent ABV is well hidden, which is nice when enjoying a Russian Imperial Stout. The dryish finish is balanced well by the sweet fruit flavors and bitter roastedness. Do yourself a favor and indulge in this one more than once. You will thank yourself in the end.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow. This IS one of my new favorites. I'm not a stout drinker, but, I think I'm now a high APV stout drinker. Why would I ever have another Guinness? I doubt I'll find something else this good in a stout but, I'm certainly willing to try, but, I need them to be high in APV. It's hearty, not syrupy, rather chocolaty, just delicious overall. The alcohol is well hidden. It's truly exceptional overall. I will mirror jdubjacket's review about it, and I also first had it in Atlanta, mine on tap at the Brick Store Pub (A great place!). Do yourself a favor and get it. You'll have no regrets whatsoever!

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company