2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,485 | Reviews: 1,553 | Show All Ratings:
Alieniloquium

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. Bottled 10/7/2011.

Appearance - Pours with a big mocha head. Settles to just a collar, but a nice one. Just a couple of flecks of lace.

Smell - Oak and lots of black patent malt. Slightly grassy nose to it. Very chocolatey.

Taste - Oak immediately present again, but dies down to a more standard Yeti flavor. Still very green, almost grassy. Chocolatey and bitter. A variety of bitternesses. Oak bitterness, hop bitterness, and malt bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Abrasive bitterness, but nice body. Medium carbonation.

Overall - All these Yeti beers have the same grassy bitterness that I don't welcome in a stout. I get that it's an RIS, but it's over the top. The oakiness doesn't smooth it out at all, just adds to it.

04-09-2013 01:33:32 | More by Alieniloquium
scooter231

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this brew. I tend to go back and forth on oak aged brews- I love them or I hate them. This one I'm oddly in the middle on.

Smelled and tasted very winey, some brandy in there, cherries and/or other dark fruits. I think the oaking was a bit on the overpowering side. The stout flavors are just not coming through like they should.

Mouthfeel was a bit too thick for my liking, and this guy was a bit hard to drink. By no means a bad beer, but it was just a bit... lost, muddled. Bland, even. Too much oak, not enough of other things. I'll let this guy sit for a while and try again- perhaps with the un-oaked version.

11-16-2005 06:21:06 | More by scooter231
sacfly

Maryland

22oz
Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome. Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate and wild turkey.

Taste is dominated by bourbon and burnt grain. Not bad… Hides the alcohol a bit better than the regular Yeti.

Get this one just to see the pour. Spectacular. Unfortunately, the beer is just ok.

12-28-2005 03:41:18 | More by sacfly
ncvbc

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Well, I figured I might as well try this one since the Yeti didn't live up to my expectations. Sadly, this one didn't either, though it doesn't mean this isn't a good beer by any means.

Pour was a solid black, as a RIS should be. No light was really visible either. Fairly low carbonation and a great looking cocoa tan head.

Smell was good but not as profound as other greats that come to mind for the style. The usual roasted malts and hints of vanilla and even charcoal. Some oak comes up followed by a fresh and earthy hop aroma.

Taste was roasted chocolate malts up front. Oak and vanilla again present and paired with the slightest alcohol burn. There was also a bitterness towards the end with the hops playing a role here. A lot going on but not necessarily in all the right places.

Mouthfeel was rich and creamy, close to full though not what I expect. Warming at times but an unwelcome hop bitterness confronts the tongue.

Overall drinkability isn't all that bad. One bomber was enough for me and I'd consume one rarely. This just isn't as bold and flavorful as some top contenders I've tasted.

Compared to the Czar brewed in the same state I consider both Yeti and Oak Aged inferior but this is only one opinion. Try this one, you just might like it!

09-04-2007 23:02:41 | More by ncvbc
pittvkyle7

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

A- black as night, with a sweet brown head that stays a while. No lasting lacing.

S- Great vanilla aroma, alcohol, oak, sweet bruntness.

T- Roasted coffee comes first witha a blast of the vanilla, which is kind of strong. A slight bit of hop earthyness. Alcohol, chocolate?, oak.

M- sticky with a carbonation bite. A little too sticky for me. A big alcohol burn.

D- The exteme flavours and the burn make this hard to label as drinkable. Maybe the style isn't my thing. There were tons of great things about it but I will not be going back to this one for a while.

03-19-2008 21:04:48 | More by pittvkyle7
Hojaminbag

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Black to extremely dark brown in color of the body. Huge rocky head that is coffee color. Great retention, I think it plans to sit there all night. Leaves some thick sticky lacing.

Sweet and roasted malty smell, chocolate. Vanilla is noticeable, with a little bit of booze.

The vanilla oak flavor is right up front, and a little less subtle than I would expect. Huge roasted malts in the middle, chocolate. Just a slight hop spiciness and boozy flavor in the finish. Creamy with good carbonation.

A little boozy for me to get a graet drinkability, but a solid brew.

05-24-2008 00:07:59 | More by Hojaminbag
jkendrick

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Black, no light. Moderate off-white head with some nice lacing.

Aroma: Definitely smells roasted. Reminded me of the burnt flavor of Starbucks coffee. There is also bitter chocolate and obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel: A bit underwhelming. It's not as full-bodied as I would expect and has a prickly carbonation.

Taste: The taste is of the burnt coffee as I referenced in the aroma, bitter chocolate and a somewhat acidic taste. the alcohol was not well hidden in my opinion and, while the oak in noticeable, it doesn't compliment the character well.

Overall impression: I'll need to sample the regular Yeti again, but based on my recollection, I prefer the regular to the oak. That's unusual for me as I tend to favor the wood aged varieties. It's a decent Imperial stout, but far from the best.

12-09-2008 23:05:48 | More by jkendrick
beveritt

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into tasting glasses. Thanks to DoctorDog for bringing this one over.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of medium to light tan head. Settles slowly to a thin yet complete coating of foam. Decent lacing The beer itself is dark brown and completely opaque. No sediment in the the bottle.

Smell: Mild smell, hard to pick much up. Hints of vanilla.

Taste: Very boozy in the finish; dominated by oak and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Just okay. I think the addition of the oak is detrimental to this beer, rather than complimentary. I had this one next to an aged version, about 3 years old, and while I liked the aged one better, neither really blew my socks of. I like regular Yeti much better.

03-19-2009 02:09:04 | More by beveritt
rka758

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

2010 brewing (bottled 10/7/10) poured into tulip glass.
Paid $11/bomber

A: Pours a deep black, so much so that my glass is acting like a mirror, with a nice mocha brown colored head. Head started 2 fingers and quickly reduced to a thin lacing along the top.
S: Really nice. Rich coffee and chocoalte nose.
T: I taste wood, hence the oak I guess. A a deep chocolate flavor. A bit of bitterness
M: Beer does a nice job of coating. It's a little dry, but the flavors do a nice job at hitting all the right spots.
D: This is a nice beer that I feel is bottled just right; a bomber is gonna be about my limit, but I might crave a bit more than a 12oz bottle. I'm interested to see how this travels through time.

11-21-2010 02:38:59 | More by rka758
MarcatGSB

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Purchased from Hy-Vee Grocery in Sylvis, IL. Bottled on date is Nov. 05 2010. Poured into La Fin du Monde tulip. Tasting notes with Emily.

Appearance: Pitch black. Very nice espresso/copper color two finger head. Great lacing around the glass.

Smell: Oak nose. Almost a boozy nose, almost. I can detect the alcohol ever so slightly, but it's hard to tell the heavy oak and booze apart to me.

Taste: Heavy on the oak. Cloying smoke coats the back of my tongue. Immediate vanilla, only to give way to more smoke and oak.

Mouth: The moutfeel is lively, but I can't get past the oak. It does have a nice creaminess to it.

Drink and Overall: It is drinkable. I'm glad I'm sharing this bomber. I feel like the oak can be a bit overwhelming. It's a nice beer, I am enjoying it, do enjoy it.

03-16-2011 19:15:36 | More by MarcatGSB
ptykozoon

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oak aged Yeti pours deep brown with a milk chocolate head which eventually settles into a nice layer.

Chocolate, oak, non-bitter coffee, a tinge of vanilla.

Light chocolate with predominantly coffee rounding this out. Bits of malt and plain ol' oak barrel.

Medium to full bodied. Bitter coffee bean finish.

This is a nice, simple stout. Coffee and chocolate, a bit of oak and for the life of me I couldn't find much else. Bitter coffee, a high ABV and oak need to be contrasted with some sweetness in my opinion. I would prefer a bit more complexity and a heavier mouthfeel on this too.

09-23-2011 15:14:26 | More by ptykozoon
wavz

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Black as night, pours with a medium heavy brown head with plenty of lacing.

S- This is unlike most of the regular coffee note stouts. Plenty of hops that come right out at you. The hops kinda drown out many of the other smells, but there is a bit of vanilla and some maltyness.

T- Great sweetness with hops that balance out the malt. Great vanilla aromas, coffee, and some berries.

M- Great chewy stout, light carbonation (Fits this beer well). I guess chewy is the bast way to describe this one.

D- Great stout, it just made my top 5 in stouts just for its originality. Will get this one again!

Wavz

02-10-2007 01:07:30 | More by wavz
gameface23

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours jet black with a dark tan head. You can't see anything through this beer.

S: Dark chocolate, black coffee, dark fruits and alcohol.

T: More dark chocolate and a certain vanilla flavor from the oak. The alcohol is not afraid to show itself. Dark fruits also appear.

M: Smooth and syrupy thick.

D: Average for a RIS.

05-01-2009 17:18:01 | More by gameface23
Anthony1

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

This is a big beer with lots of stuff going on.

It pours almost black with a vigorous foamy brown head. Got lots of malt, chocolate and espresso aromas from this one along with a distinct woody smell. The taste matched the aroma and I could taste the oak coming through. The beer was very smooth and complex but I found the alcohol aftertaste a little over powering.

10-01-2009 14:31:08 | More by Anthony1
ThirstyBird

Germany

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to Jwale73 for sharing!!
A - Pours super black/brown with a light brown head that falls to a light covering.
S - Smells of coffee, roasted malt and bourbon.
T - The taste is very bitter and oaky. Chocolate, alcohol and coffee.
M/F - Medium body. Fairly smooth and heavily carbonated.
D - A decent brew but not to my liking style wise.

01-02-2010 18:07:23 | More by ThirstyBird
iadler

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

On-tap. Served in a 5 oz taster glass at encintas ale house.

A- Pours the darkest of browns with a one finger off white head which leaves a few lines of lacing behind.

S- Lots of earthy oak, brown sugar, booze soaked raisins and plumbs, coffee beans and some roasted malt.

T- Oak stands out, almost to the point of overpowering, with coffee, roasted malt, dark fruits, brown sugar, char and some smoke. There is some astringent qualities at the end which is unpleasant.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry with char and some smoke.

O- Not terribly drinkable as the astringency and over proounced oak characteristics seem to mask the base beer. The abv was hidden well though.

12-28-2011 05:18:08 | More by iadler
PatrickSwayze

Oak aged yeti-  Bottled Dec 7, 2010, drank Jan 22, 2012

A: pours an extremely dark black with an extremely dark caramel head.

S: Light hint of dark raisins and roasted malts. Very subtle in smell

T: This has been a very interesting hitting my taste buds with slight hints of raisin and chocolate with a finish of chocolate and oak. The flavors are very subdued and mild with the age on this beer. Easy to drink but not to overly flavorful

M: Sits on the tongue very well. Great body that lets you know that the flavors are there without being overwhelimg or to sweet. Great balance.

O: for the price i could drink this beer over and over again.  I wish the flavors were more distinguished  but overall a great imperial stout for he price.

01-23-2012 02:52:15 | More by PatrickSwayze
Torchiest

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz bomber bottle in a pint glass.

Poured like motor oil, or molasses. Almost no carbonation apparent, a tiny ring of creamy foam appeared around the edge of the glass. Looks pretty scary.

Quite a bit of hop aroma, which is surprising to me. Never had a really hoppy stout before. This is definitely no guinness.

The taste is insane. There is so much going on here, it's hard to know where to begin. A significant hop presence, an odd creamy grapefuit taste, some roastiness, a faint vanilla note, and then a bitter finish. The transitions between flavors are quite confusing.

Pretty low carbonation, as expected, and fairly thick, but the bitterness allows it to finish cleanly without any sticky residue.

Not bad, overall, but at 9.5%, one is all I'd want at a time. Interesting, but I don't know if I'd buy it again.

02-05-2007 17:56:48 | More by Torchiest
jar2574

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Creamy tan head, and the beer is black as night. Really great lacing. Clings to the sides the whole way down. A great looking stout.

Smells of hops and caramel and oakiness. But the smell is subdued.

A very thick and creamy beer. Strong taste and lots of flavors. Chocolate, caramel, hops, and even some fruitiness -- a touch of cherries. The strength of the alcohol is well hidden.

I have mixed feelings about the taste. It's an interesting stout, but I'm not a big fan of stouts to begin with. I don't want to unfairly punish the beer due to my dislike of the category, but I believe I've had better ones. I liked the Samual Smith Imperial Stout a lot more.

Anyway, this is a unique beer with a complex taste. A 3 1/2 is the best I can do though, as far as taste.

In the end, this isn't a great session beer. It's thick and heavy. A 100 degree day in August probably isn't the best time to review it. Maybe I'll try it again in the winter.

08-13-2007 01:49:11 | More by jar2574
triplecoil

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured extremely dark with a thinish tan head. Nose was musty, a little spicy, and alcohol, not extremely pleasant. Taste was big and malty, a little roasty, alcohol, and plumbs. Mouthfeel has moderately low carbonation, pretty decent.

Definitely not a favorite, but not bad.

03-01-2008 03:36:07 | More by triplecoil
roblowther

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

22 oz bomber. Black oily look with a dense, creamy reddish-brown head that shows no signs of dissipating any time soon. Smells of milk chocolate, coffee, and a touch of wood. Tastes very roasted, with the burnt malt dominating. There is a wood flavor and some vanilla esters in there somewhere but you have to find them before the burnt aftertaste overwhelms things. Mouthfeel is creamy and oily, very satisfying. The drinkability is good from the standpoint of hiding the abv but wow. The burnt taste is giving me heartburn. A well-crafted example of a style that I'm thinking just isn't me.

04-14-2009 00:51:00 | More by roblowther
soughtbygod

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

Black body with a thin tan head.

Aromas of cardammom, ginger, and roasty chocolate malt.

The flavors are cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, dark chocolate, and espresso and they work amazingly well together. Who knew chai and stout would be such a great combo, but they play well off one another. Seems like a milk stout may have been the base beer.

Each sip makes me want to try another, so that's good. Medium body is round and smooth on the palate.

Great beer that goes great with my dessert.

05-14-2011 23:29:25 | More by soughtbygod
zac16125

South Carolina

22 oz bomber, bottled on date: Dec 7th 2010; poured into a pint glass

A: Pours an opaque jet black with a 2 fingers width dark mocha colored head. It has a thick, viscous appearance as it pours. The head dissipates at a moderate rate to a thin film that leaves decent lacing.

S: Vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol, which are by no means dominating.

T: First sip is of strong burnt and roasted malts. Early on there are some hints of coffee/espresso, vanilla, and dark chocolate with some occasional hop bitterness noted on the after taste. The subtle complexities are nice but the early drink is definitely dominated by burnt and roasted malt characters. Then, about halfway through the first glass of the bomber, it takes a turn for the worse. The alcohol flavors really start to come out, and not in a subtle, pleasant way. Every sip is completely dominated by the presence of alcohol. The complex characters that were initially present are entirely masked by the alcoholic esters. After I finish the first glass and pour the rest of the bomber into the glass I have high expectations that it will make a turn for the better. But again after the first couple sips the alcohol comes right back out and dominates the drink. Very disappointing.

M/D: Sooth and well carbonated with a good initial mouthfeel. But the predominating alcohol characters really decrease its drinkability.

O: The bottle says, “Massive” and “Complex”. I would agree with the former, but not necessarily the latter. I wouldn’t say it is well balanced, or particularly complex. The potential that this beer showed early on was effectively destroyed by the dominating alcohol characters that took over the drink. It was mostly just roasted, burnt malts and alcohol. I was disappointed with this beer, and don’t plan on trying it again.

06-15-2011 02:40:54 | More by zac16125
Pegasus

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Deep black in color, with a modest tan head, completely opaque, with attractive scattered lacing.

Aroma: Deep, dense aroma of dark bitter chocolate, as well as coffee, and alcohol, very pleasing.

Taste: Opens with strong notes of stale coffee, and wood, there is a pronounced harsh chemical bitterness, with notes of rubber and plastic. A bitter medicinal note lingers on well past the end of the taste. The harsh chemical qualities fade somewhat, but never entirely disappear as the beer warms. The stale coffee notes remain constant. Finishes very dry with excessive tannins.

Mouth feel: Sof, smooth, full in body, little carbonation, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: I really wanted to like this beer, but I was not able to. The ordinary Yeti is far better. The harsh chemical character ruins would could have been a world-class beer.

06-24-2005 03:07:28 | More by Pegasus
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Aroma: Cafe mocha. Black licorice. Some hoppy aromas too.

Looks: Onyx black, can't see through it. Big brownish beige head. Good head retention.

Taste: Chocolate, espresso. Alcohol is tasted. It's a bit earthy. Black licorice. Some vanilla, but I had to really look for it.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Fine carbonation, lower than average.

08-06-2007 02:55:16 | More by BrewSomerville