Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,215 | Reviews: 1,622
3.67/5  rDev -13.8%

22oz bomber poured into my Cigar City miniature sifter.

A: Pours a jet black color. Looks like used motor oil.

S: Strong Oak forefront with chocolate and burnt cofee undertones.

T: Hops offset by the oak. A nice pleasant combination.

M: Very refreshing on the palate, carbonation is spot on.

O: Not my favorite RIS, but I would seek it out again.

3.66/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance: Opaque pitch black with a chocolately head. Beautiful.

Smell: Malty, chocolately, roasty.

Taste: Much more bitter than I anticipated. Very Astringent. Acrid. Needs more age. Oak does come through but only slightly in the middle as an alcoholic vanilla flavor. Alcohol is very evident and not smooth at all. Very intense flavors that I'm not used to.

EDIT: This beer is much better warmed up. DON'T DRINK IT COLD. After warming, the alcohol goes away as does the astringency to a point. Oak comes through much better as a warm sweet smokey vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Creamy. Hot from alcohol.

Drinkability: Very difficult to finish. Just too harsh for my tastes. I think it is too much roasted malts as it seems like I'm drinking charcoal.

EDIT: After warming, this beer is much more enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

At cold temps, this Imp St. comes across as slightly watery, but once it warms to 50+, the flavor comes out and it tastes much better.

Brown head. Medium-low carbonation. medium aftertaste stays on course with the beers full-mouth flavor.
9.5 abv; tastes like 11%.

Good beer overall. Definitely worth the price. Buy three: two for you, one for a seasoned stout fan. Don't drink them too cold or the taste comes across as rushed and watery. Temp is very important on this one.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Special thanks to my brother for bringing this one out...

Poured from a bomber into a Miami Dolphins pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger tan head. Decent head retention and lacing...

S - Oak, chocolate, and a dry smokey scent come through...

T - Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla and oak. Finishes on a smokey dry note. No traces of an alcohol warmth comes through...

M - A thick full bodied beer with a moderate amount of carbonation...

D - Definitely something I am looking foward to revisiting in the near future. Of the three Yeti's I have tried, this would probably be my least favorite; however, this is still a very solid brew...

Cheers...

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Current vintage with the new label served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured one shade shy of black with a quarter inch khaki-colored head that dissipated into a soapy slick. Ruby red highlights revealed around the edges of the glass. Nose was cocoa, vanilla and some hints of wood. Taste was cocoa, bitter wood and some hops bittering at the finish. Mouthfeel was just shy of medium with some oiliness and a bit of alcohol burn. Decent brew, but there are better examples of the style out there.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks go to HardTarget for the chance to sample this one...split this with fellow BA's cmaruschak and mmmmbeeeer.

Appearance: An oily black pour with a tan head that retains beautifully. The head fades to wispy lines of carbonation.

Smell: Prominent oak, rum soaked raisins, alcohol, and maybe a touch of bourbon.

Taste: Oak is harsh and up front, vanilla bean, dry cocoa, burnt marshmallows, and a ghost-like smokiness. After a while, my palate felt like I had been licking charcoal.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly slick and creamy with a long, lingering finish.

Drinkability: Glad I shared this one. A definite sipper.

Notes: The oak is too prominent. I know this is the new fad/trend/gimmick is to put everything in some kind of barrel to age it. That being said, I wish the fad would fade. I'll take my regular Yeti from now on.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

Tried the original, spotted the oaked at a reasonable price. Why not...

The pour is JET black, super generous frothy deep brown head of a couple inches. Bit of fizz clings to sides of the mug. Smell of vanilla and deep roasty coffee type tones, yet despite the additional mellowing (or maybe because of?) a whiff of citrus comes up. Don't usually get that anywhere near a stout, don't know whether to be intrigued or worried. Only one way to find out...

The citrus that came up on the smell? Well, it skipped town. Nobody here but us dark malts, sir. Bit of bitter chocolate, something reminding me of dark rye bread, and just enough of the alcohol warmth to connect everything. Just barely enough fizz actually goes down to let me know this ever had any, it damn near coats my tongue.

Is it, overall, a great beer? Yes. Better than the non-oaked? I wouldn't go that far.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

black with a huge and frothy light brown head. looks like sea foam in texture. smell is of chocolate and the roasted malt. chocolate with a slight bitterness and a hint of the oak. nice mouthfeel although there is a slight burn from the alcohol. this is very good as all the yetis are, though I like this one less than it's counterparts. not as smooth as the others.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

IMO this was a nice idea but a waste of perfectly good Yeti. I really loved the regular Yeti and this has the similar beautiful dark body and chocolate milk head the oak changes the rest of the beer. Right away the tannin laden acid comes out in the nose with the alcohol more prevailent and the roasted body of malt almost distorted even though coffee and char it is still present. The taste is lead away from the lovely flavors of dark heady chocolate as the the oak character is too powerful, I think it is the acid that makes this beer a sipper. Just as I finish the swallow I can feel the heart burn coming. Still this beer is enjoyable once I stopped "reviewing" it. If I was to have it again though I would just get the regular and much better Yeti.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Served on tap at Morris Tap and Grill, 11/22. This one might be better experienced through a bomber bottle.

Pours jet black with a ring of brown foam. Hearty, roasted nose. Oaky. There is a coffee/espresso back. Hearty, thick taste. Smooth, yet bursting bitter. Gritty coffee mouthfeel. Rolls into an alcohol burn. Just a tad too much.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - Vanilla, coffee, chocolate

Appearance - Poured dark, dark, black. Head was a mdeium chocolate brown. Decent head retention and lacing.

Taste - If you like your stout with a bit of hops this might be the stout for you. Had hints of chocolate and coffee but hops dominated the finish of this beer. Also got a bit of alcohol bite at the end.

Mouthfeel - Smooth medium bodied that complimented the beer well.

Drinkability - At 9.5% more than a bomber is going to get to you. For me personally this stout was a little too hoppy, but again if that is what you are looking for this is probably a homerun.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured this bad boy up in a tall pint glass. It had a nice dark chocolate head. I started pissin in my pants. Then I tasted it. I started shittin in my pants.

Appearance: Nice dark chocolate head

Smell: Very malty, chocolatey

Taste: Chocolate fo sho, hints of vanilla, lil bit of wood. Hops are very apparent.

Body: Full, kind of a mild chalky mouthfeel

I would say this is a very good stout. I have had better and I've had worse. Try this definately

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

22 oz bomber poured into a snifter.

Thick oily black with a tall, but thin mocha colored head.

Aroma was dominated by some chocolate, coconut and vanilla from the oak. There is some roastiness but the oak really takes over here.

Flavor is similar to the regular yeti with some beautiful sweetness and a bitter roasty finish, that is accentuated by what seems like tannins.

Thick buttery mouthfeel, perhaps a bit too sharp on the carbonation, but still goes down easy.

Overall, this is a classic oaked imperial stout and done well to style. Unfortunately, it's my least favorite yeti.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured a nice, creamy and completely opaque black, with a fairly large, khaki colored head that stayed with the beer almost all the way down the glass as I drank. Quite a nice appearance, actually. Exactly what you'd expect when looking at an Imperial Stout.

The aroma, however, was not what you'd expect. I picked up faint traces of the vanilla-ish wood character, even more faint traces of some roastiness, but huge, huge amounts of hops. Much hoppier than I'd have expected, almost as though they changed their minds halfway through an imperial stout and decided to make an imperial IPA instead. It's not the IBUs that are off (75, per the website), it's just that all 75 are very much in your face. It isn't bad, mind you, which is why I still gave it a 4.0 on smell, but it isn't exactly what one would expect either.

The taste, unfortunately, continues along this hop line. I do get teasing hints that there's a delicious ADS underneath this hop blanket. Subtle vinous fruitiness sneaks through now and again, giving it almost a port character. The roasted malts add a flavor component that is quite nice, when they can be heard above the cacophany of hoppiness. Vanilla from the oak, black currant flavors... all of those appear to be in there, but they are just buried under the hop flavors and aromas. From the piney, resinous taste the hops leave in my mouth, I'm going to assume they use Chinook hops. Whatever it is, it just seems out of balance to me, considering the style they're brewing.

The mouthfeel is, conversely, almost perfect for an impy stout. It's not chewy, by any means, but you definitely know you are drinking something. Rather milky, perhaps a tad oily, but wonderful.

This is not something I'm likely going to grab again. It isn't bad. Truly it isn't. As stated above, there are hints of a brilliant beer in there. The hops -- and more to the point, the variety of hops and when they're added to the boil -- just overwhelm the excellent beer that's trying to get out. I didn't hate this, but I wanted so badly to like it more than I did.

Bottled November 2009.

A- Thick creamy cap with some large bubble formation. Starts to churn and generate from the middle outward this pattern. Solid amount of lacing, eventually a thin raft is leftover in the center of the inky darkness. I miss the milk chocolate, dark brown edged froth.

S- Burnt grain dominates the first wave. Following this is a very faint vanilla that seems to have an artificial edging to it. Something manufactured... industrious... forced. Minor chocolate background that is infused with sharp ethanolic characteristics, and nothing else.

T- First impression is the overwhelming burnt grain and roasted malt domination. There is no holding these flavors back. Acrid and disruptive. Some sharp metallic notes come forth with a bit of alcohol heat.

However, immediately following these hiccups is a nice wooden sweetness, that earthy tone that can only be vanilla. This lingers and exhales away to the finish which is strongly dark chocolate. The finish on this beer is amazing. It is so thick with bitter sweetness that it makes up for the opening and more.

M- Medium bodied, bit thinner than I expected. Carbonation is on the opening and quarter of the way through helping hide the flaws of the flavors. The lackluster thickness doesn't stop the chocolate curtains creeping closely inside my oral crevice.

D- The sharp and acrid opening really detract from the drinkability. Alcohol never fully materializes as a near 10% so I'm thankful for that. It has some complexity in flavors, but it falls short of being amazing. Its a Yeti.. I didn't expect amazing. I'm glad I ticked it, and look forward to finishing out the Yeti series strong.

On draft at Lillie's Q.

A - rich, chocolaty brown. I'd say light black if that were on the color wheel. Creamy mocha head with light lacing, mediocre retention.

S - You pick up the oak immediately, followed by biscuity malt and cocoa. Grassy hops are more prominent than I want them to be for this style.

T - chocolate and hoppy. At 75 IBU you pick up the piney hop bitterness more than the toffee and caramel sugars that follow.

M - thick but not too viscous and moderately carbonated.

O - this is a good but not great beer. At this price point, I can find better imperial stouts with more developed flavors which aren't being washed out by too much hop bitterness.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Really dark pour sets beneath a big brown head. Retention isn't great, but the lacing is nice.

S: Really impressed by the amount of chocolate and hops remaining in this one. Oak is there, but underneath everything else, perhaps a bit of booziness.

T: I taste the oak and wood up front, they seem to be a bit subdued. All chocolate next, followed by a nice hit of coffee roastiness and dryness at the end.

MF: Not as thick as I was expecting. The wood taste sort of hangs with you in the back of your throat, not all that pleasant. The bitterness is turned down a peg as well.

O: This was alright. It's pretty rare that aging a stout like this turns out to be a miss, but I actually liked the old label Yeti I recently had over the oak aged version.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Bomber poured into nonic. Deep black with foamy brown head that holds its form throughout the drink. Smells of roasted malts, espresso, chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Flavors are coffee-infused unsweetened brownies, dark fruits, oak, vanilla, and late hop bitterness. Medium-full bodied, creamy, active soft carbonation, and a crisp finish.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

22oz bottle, allowed to warm a little bit and poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours standard stout black. The burnt caramel head rises to an absolutely massive height, and has staying power like crazy. The lacing doesn't quite live up though, keeping the look from being quite perfect. The nose is had a solid balance of dark chocolate and roasty grains. There's also a strong citrus hop presence. Hoppy stouts aren't really my bag, so we'll see how this goes. The great dark chocolate aroma fades a little on my palate, replaced by that general roastiness. Coffee makes itself known, but just barely. Even more than the nose the citrus hops really come through too much here. I prefer my imperial stouts to be malt driven, so this oneis a litle bit of a miss for me. Further accenting the the relative lack of maltiness, is that the body is incredibly light for a 9.5% imperial stout. I'd really like to see a bit more heft behind it. Desipte the light body, the carbonation is just barely there. I suppose it's passable, but just so. Any less and the beer would end up being a bit too syrupy. I can see how some people would like Oak Aged Yeti, but hoppy stouts aren't a favorite of mine, and the oak aging does little to smooth it out.

3.62/5  rDev -15%

bomber into a snifter

a- dark midnight("syrup" according to my girlfriend) with a very lively dark chocolate milk colored 2 finger head, this beer is a void of light, a liquid black hole of deliciousness
s-honestly im a little stopped up due to sinuses but what i could smell is all coffee
t- coffee is definitely there and you get more vanilla and almost a slight milk after taste
m-a very lively feel even after a year, lots of tingle with a full wet finish,no heat or burn from the 9.2
o/d-so far easy to drink, the gf liked her sip, so far the only imp stout shes liked, anyway its good i can see me drinking a whole bomber and enjoying it, im hoping this glass warms up a little so it hopefully will open up a little more

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a strong head and pretty lacing stuck around. The smell was woodsy and roasted malt. Dark malty taste at first, but soon the alcohol hits and overpowers things for me. Long hoppy bitter finish. Medium to full bodied, can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A sipping beer for me, no way I can finish a bomber.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A beautiful inky black pour with a tall dark tan that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Strangely, the first thing I notice is the hops followed by a mild fruity scent. Roasted malts, a little oak and coffee are soon to follow.

T - I gave this some originality points, but this really isn't my style. I like the bitterness level and that this is not overly sweet. There is some sort of weird fruity/citrus flavor that clashes with the roasted malt and coffee flavors. Oak is barely detectable.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - I could drink quite a bit of this, but since I don't really enjoy the flavor I moved on pretty quickly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this with great anticipation into a tulip glass and shared the bomber bottle with a good friend.

It poured a very dark black and an inch tall chocolate milk colored head slowly rose in the glass. It was a fine looking stout. The head remained for most of the beer, continually refreshed by swirling the glass.

I was a little surprised by the hoppiness of this beer, although the label does promote it as a fairly hopped up beer. I found it a little out of place for such a dark stout. Malty and some coffee aromas, with some slight toffiness as well.

This beer had many layers of flavors as it warmed up in the glass. It started quite bitter, very similar to a Bigfoot barley wine. As it warmed, it began to have almost a buttery quality, and the hoppiness definitely mellowed. It still had a very bitter aftertaste, though. I could also taste the hints of vanilla that were promised on the label. I liked this better as it warmed, but still was a bit put off by the high hop content.

It had a stout mouthfeel. Rich, smooth, not overly carbonated, and warming from high ABV which was very well hidden.

Overall, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine than an imperial stout. It was an interesting brew with many levels of flavors, but not my favorite.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled date - Oct 16, 2013

A - pours like warm tar. Rich black oil.

S - oak, lots of roasted malt, some chocolate, charcoal, black licorice

T - some old coffee, roast and char from the oak, bakers chocolate, and some bitterness at the end

M - heavy medium feel