Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,619 | Hads: 4,341
1.38/5  rDev -67.5%

I hope I just had a bad bottle.
Looks like the belle of the ball. Pours like crude with a nice dark mahogany head that dissipates fairly quickly. That is where is goes bad. The smell is that of a welders apron mixed, with a little booze. The taste is not much better, metallic and charcoal with booze. Terrible! The aftertaste, is more of an after-feeling. It left a gritty metallic feeling/taste on my tongue.

Sucks that this is my first review. But I cracked this while on BA and had to write down what I was tasting. Yuck!

1.64/5  rDev -61.3%

Pours beautifully dark and rich, tan head, awsome lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, fruity. Nice there.

Taste-- Overpowering roasted black malt. I need more here, more fruitiness, more sweetness, maybe some hops. It just seems too one dimensional to me. Astringant.

Mouthfeel-- A touch thin for an imperial/double stout.

Drinkability-- No thanks, I'll find other double stouts that are more up my alley.

2.04/5  rDev -51.9%

22oz bottle. Black with a small tan head. Piney hops, sawdust, and light cocoa aroma. Bitter, hoppy, and very oaky with a light chocolate sweetness. This is just a totally astringent oak overload. Feels like there is sawdust drying out the tongue. The finish is like wood scraping out the inside of your mouth and it feels horrible.

2.07/5  rDev -51.2%

This is one of the most disappointing brews I have so far in my life. I LOVE Russian Imperial Stouts, but this is something that is not good, in my opinion. The reviews were high, the trade came in, and beer poured beautiful, the taste sucked.

The appearance is amazing. It pours a beautiful dark brown that comes into a great black that no light comes through. The head is beautiful, comes up to a dark brown frothy head that leaves a disgustingly fat sticky lace on the side. Really a beautiful looking brew.

The smell is where it started turning for the worst. The smell is that of metal, or aluminum. Better yet, stick your hands into a jar of coins and mix it around a little. Then smell your hand, that is what this brew smells like. The hops pop out with this smell with a liquor smell. The liquor smell is something that I was looking forward to in the taste, you can smell an earthy smell also that took me by surprise. The liquor taste is whiskey, something that I can take, but if it is done right.

The taste is by far the worst part of this beer. I had to drink like five drinks to confirm that it was not good. I thought that maybe I sipped it wrong the first two times. I honestly could not believe my taste buds, I still don't. It was gnarly, like a aluminum-whiskey-sour-hop taste that was not good. I actually am saving the other half of the bottle for a buddy who's opinion I somewhat respect on beer. I need to see if he likes it or not because I feel like I might be going crazy. It would be a drainpour if I didn't give the rest away. It has a whiskey hop taste that makes me do a sour baby face. This has some undertones of chocolate and coffee and some vanilla. It just does not taste good at all.

The mouthfeel is a really carbonated and hoppy RIS. I have to stop reviewing this just for the fact I am so saddened how bad it was. The look was beautiful! The taste suffers. I would never buy this ever again. What an interesting experience. Overall not good, I feel like I have to say sorry.

2.22/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bomber served in tumbler

A- Ultra black beer, very little light escapes it's darkness. Impressive thick, dark brown, almost red head. Intimidating looking, with an enormous presence in the glass. Fantastic appearance.

S- Thick brambles of hops, burnt coffee, sour cherries, bitterness abounds. Astringent scent, strong alcohol is unappealing. Some mild oakiness to validate the name, not nearly enough though.

T- Damn bitter beer. Lots of hops with spicy alcohol; very big beer, but lacking any malty counter. Too unbalanced and very tough to drink. Definitely not my type of RIS...

M- Hot alcohol burns the tongue, but not over carbonated.

D- Dude, this was a tough one. I really did not enjoy this beer very much at all. Hops dominant with a whiskey-like burn is not my idea of an enjoyable imperial, although it did improve slightly after nursing it for 40 minutes.

Bummer bout this one.

2.51/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured a almost totally black color with massive tannish head.
Smell is of roasted malt with a strong whiskey-like background
Taste is very non-impressive. Austerely dry with strong alcohol notes. Taste is also somewhat medicinal.
Leaves a strong alcohol, whisky, medicinal taste in the mouth.
I am not a whiskey fan, and this beer was totally disapponting to me. It was difficult to fininsh half a glass.

2.6/5  rDev -38.7%

I figured that if somebody could be trusted to do oak-aging responsibly, it might be great divide. Nope. They fall in the same way most others do - by taking a great beer and just adding a smeared sharp liquor flavor to it that to me tastes like it could be from an extract - Liquid Oak. Liquid Suck?

Gorgeous black, dark perfect head, lacing, the whole deal. Smell is where the pain starts and it continues well into the finish of the flavor. There is this brash vanilla whisky thing going on with a finish of sickening black licorice. Although well melded, it does not complement the deep malt flavors that were already in the beer. As I have said before, if it tastes like someone mixed a shot of whisky into my beer, I am going to be pissed. Give me barrels, give me wood, give me subtle oak and vanilla, but keep this higher-alcohol nasty-ass twang out of my beer.

No thanks.

2.66/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer is unquestionable overhyped. It's an incredibly dry stout -- to the point where I had to chase this with water. Some what like drinking soy sauce.

2.71/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured straight up black.
Half-inch of brown head - slightly creamy.

My nose... suddenly I smell Hops! Pine Forest! My God, am I drinking an IPA? Chinook I think... very piney and spicy. I poured it 5 minutes ago and I'm just staring and sniffing at the goblet. Should I drink it? I'm a bit nervous given the "oaked" craze lately. I had a bad experience with the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Ok... I'm going to sip it now...

I just sipped my first IPA stout. Overwhelming spicy and piney hops, slight citrus, and tight bitterness that leaves little room for the roasted, almost burnt malts.

While I admit I'm a hophead, I wasn't breaking this open to taste hops... I wanted roasty chocolate, earthy malts and a slight vanilla from the "oaking". Instead I was hit with insane hop aroma and flavor.

It gets high rating for the looks and mouthfeel - nice long taste with a dry biting finish.

Final word: The official BJCP guidelines say it's ok for an Imperial Stout to have "Medium-low to high hop flavor (any variety)", but when a stout isn't balanced with the needed malt it's just not right.... I just can't recommend this one.

2.72/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured a bomber into my pint glass

A: I was blown away by the completely black body and the killer three-finger dark tan head. Impressive head retention and excellent lacing.

S: I stuck my nose way down into that glass and gave 'er a whiff. It smelled decent. I could detect subtle vanilla tones in addition to the dominant aromas: alcohol and oak. Some citrusy hops are definitely present. Actually, at first there was an almost overwheling aroma of a Pine-Sol-like citrus cleaning solvent in there. It took a little more olfactory exploration for me to figure out that they were aromatic hops.

T: Trying to shake off my initial gut reaction to the Pine-Sol smell, I took my first sip. I nearly gagged. The comparison to a cleaning product was even more readily apparent in the flavor department. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and kept drinking it. After about five sips, I was able to get beyond that less than pleasurable citrus taste and explore the rest of the beer. There is a very strong, dry, oak taste. It is also a hop-bomb, and not just because of the citrusy hops; there is a great deal of bittering hop action in here. I'm tempted to say that I may have experienced some chocolate flavors as well, but honestly, the bittering hops, Pine-Sol, alcohol burn, and oak dominated the palate (and in fact probably beat my taste buds into submission simply by making them go numb).

M: The mouthfeel felt about right for the style. Nice heavy weight to it, and a thick consistency.

D: This is not drinkable at all. It is too intense and it tries to do too much, and in the end, the whole thing is just a mess.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

An amazing looking beer. Black, HUGE head that's thick and leaves lacing all over the place.

An amazing nose, dark chocolate, oak that reeks of vanilla, and dark burnt malt.

Sadly the appearance and nose are the end of the praise. This is simply a mess of a beer. Huge dark chocolate and malt are terribly complemented with some sour oak notes and even worse hop presence. This is a style of a beer I truly love so I can't say that I completely dislike this beer, it's just not good. For a style I'm sure I'd lean toward overrating this isn't a success. It is easily the worst big oak aged stout I've had.

The mouth feel here is pretty darn nice, creamy, a bit of carbonation and a bit of a bite that works well.

This is a hard beer to keep drinking. The problems with the taste just linger and linger. I fully understand I am attacking a beer loved by many. All this said I think the idea of a chocolate or coffee bean version of this will be a damn good improvement. This beer just needs something else to make it work.

2.89/5  rDev -31.8%

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin tan-colored head, which completely evaporated with time. No lacing; just a little collar on each. The body was completely opaque and jet black in appearance.

S- The nose is not as strong as the Espresso Oak Aged variety... impressions of chocolate, vanillins and a bit of oakiness in an overall somewhat mild nose.

T- Right up front, you get that stewed and roasty malt, which is quite nice. But shortly thereafter, you get an intense surge of tannin and oak lactones, which completely overpower the palate and linger on the dry finish. I just feel like the oak was way-overdone here.

M- A medium-plus body with a little oily texture to it. A delicate carbonation and substantial astringency. A touch of heat from the ethanol. Astringency definitely held this back from a better rating in the mouthfeel department.

D- Drinkability is hindered by the overwhelming oak extractives and high astringency. This is definitely a beer worth tasting... but not worth drinking 22oz. of...

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My wonderful fiancee got a bottle of this for me for my Birthday. Thanks hon!

Pours beautifully dark and rich, tan head, awsome lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, fruity. Nice there.

Mouthfeel-- A touch thin for an imperial/double stout.

2.96/5  rDev -30.2%

I finally cracked this open tonight after sitting on my shelf a few weeks. A beige foam and a black-brown opaque appearance, exactly what I'd expect for an imperial stout.

Smelled of milk chocolate. I picked out the alcohol quicker than I'd like.

First sip was harsh, almost knocked me over. The chocolate was much darker than my smeller picked up. Coffee back and something of a carmel middle. This sounded delectable, but it was all over-ridden with alcohol. Absolutely piercing. I had to power through every sip. There were redeeming qualities tucked in beneath. Yeti stomped me.

The mouth feel was fine, just the right carbonation for an imperial stout. Smooth, for sure, not syrupy.

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a viscous jet black with huge fluffy espresso colored head. Definetely taste the oak in the this one. Very smokey in a fairly unpleasant way. I have not had the non-oaked version but am curious about it due to the smoke on theis one overwhelming virtually all other flavors. Thick mouth feel overall but maybe a little thin for an imperial stout. Not my favorite but maybe someone who goes for oaked beers would like this one.

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

I really wanted to like this beer, but I think it is seriously overoaked and what is normally a very nice stout has become a mess. Pours black with a thick tan head. Smell is roasty, sour, and with hints of vanilla. Both the sourness and vanilla come in large part from the wood. The taste is all wrong. There are roasty notes, malt, and chocolate struggling to make themselves known, but they are obliterated by the heavy oak flavors. It tastes like there is a shot of anejo tequila in this beer. Heavy vanilla, wood sourness, and cherry flavors from the wood as well as a woody aftertaste make this less than enjoyable for me. Give me the non oak-aged Yeti any day over this. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but still there is that tannic wood in the background cutting against it. Not very drinkable at all, like a beautiful cabernet that someone has oaked all to hell. More restraint on the wood would have added subtle touches of wood and vanilla sweetness and would have been welcome. I'll try another batch in the future and see how it goes.

2.99/5  rDev -29.5%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is a beast of a beer. It pours black, nothing but black. The head is thick and a dark cappuccino color. The head stays for a long while and leaves loads of lacing. It smells of vanilla, coconut, and oak. There is lots going on in the nose (it almost has a smell of soy sauce, is my bottle bad? Am I crazy?).

The taste is bold. It makes me think of red wine with the complexities going on here. There is just so much to pay attention to. It is a little viscous, more so than I would like. Then again, it makes me think of bourbon--So much going on. Strong tastes of burnt coffee and burnt chocolate and a little spicy. Dark roasted malts with a very earthy taste with slight vanilla hints.

This is a big beer, both in taste and alcohol (9.5% ABV). While it is good, it is not for me. This is obviously a very popular beer, but it isn’t something that I would drink on a regular basis. It is just too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, good beer, just not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -29.5%

Split with my GF and poured into Duvel Tulip. Poured a nice khaki colored 3 finger head. Looks viscous and oily just like it should. Smells of Burnt malts and roasted coffee. Taste is where I lose it. Wayyy too boozy and hot. Chocolate and coffee is there just too far in the backround for me. Mouthfeel is thick and not my favorite RIS by any means. Drinkability is very low and one of these was enough.

22 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon about six months ago for seven dollars, split with a friend last night, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Color was pretty much black with some dark brown highlights, 3/4 inch soapy mocha colored head that stuck around for almost ten minutes, very good retention, some sticky lacing

S-Smokiness, dark chocolate, light coffee, oak, big vanilla aroma, some dark fruit, booze, roasted malt, and charcoal

T-Started off with a huge smoky flavor just like the smell, some dark chocolate malt in the middle, finish had burned flavors and a dry feel from some whiskey, could not taste the vanilla until it warmed a little bit, but it provided some complexity and toned down the smokiness a little bit, oak also came strong later, aftertaste started to have some pommegranates and prunes in it, not much hops to balance it all out, contrary to what the bottle descirption said I think this is more aggressive than the regular version

M-Smoky and sweet mouthfeel, medium to full body, medium level of carbonation, a little spicy at times, taste lingered for the most part

D-Could not drink a bottle of this myself, not a session beer in any respect, took me over an hour to drink eleven or twelve ounces, heavy on the stomach, alcohol is not hidden

One of the most flavorful beers I have ever had both in good and bad ways, a little better than the standard Yeti in my opinion, would drink again in the future, recommended if you are a fan of smoky imperial stouts

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout...

Appearance-pitch black, thick body, brown muddled head that's actually somewhat small and puny.

Smell-lots of alcoholic, burnt crisp coffee, a little residual sweetness.

Taste/Mouthfeel-dry milky sweetness, burnt sour vanilla, alcohol heat in the middle to the end, thin taste. Smooth but scuzzy.

Drinkability-Slow sipper, decent taste, muddled with a lot going on.

Overall-not bad, but doesn't live up to the hype. I've had much better, am willing to try it again. I'm sad the Oak didn't add more.

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY. Served in a small snifter. Very very dark, black, motor oil with about a fingers worth of foamy brown head. Smells of chocolate and alcohol, perhaps some stringent mascherano cherry aroma as well. Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied to the max, but not in a bad way. Lots and lots of wood flavor in this. Almost too much. I did not think this was very well balanced and was VERY over oaked. There are malt and hop flavors in there, but are over powered by the wood. Nice alcohol warming as an imperial stout should have. Don't expect to be able to drink more than one or two of these.

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

22oz bottle into a CCB snifter. 10/30/2009 bottled date.

A - Midnight black, with the slightest hint of coffee color around the edges. Decent finger of mocha-colored head, which fades to a scattered cap and leaves respectable lacing on the glass. Gentle agitation shows generates impressive legs.

S - Large notes of chocolate and roast, with some coffee in the background. Plenty of cereal, brown sugar, and a bit of alcohol.

T - Leads off with bittersweet chocolate and brown sugar. More coffee than in the nose, but it's fleeting. Roast, some char, and a light nuttiness. The finish is bitter and alcoholic. It leads off nicely but the finish is somewhat unpleasant.

M - Plenty of carbonation with fine bubbles lends a somewhat velvety feel. It's thick but the dry finish keeps it from being overpowering.

D - While I like some of the flavors, the bitterness of the finish got to me after a while. I ended up drinking it over the course of a day, recapping and having a glass every few hours.

O - It's a pretty highly-regarded beer, but it just didn't quite hit the mark for me. Good but not great. The price is okay and it's easily available, but there are plenty of similar-tasting beers that are available for less.

3.06/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured a deep black with a huge dark tan head. The aroma is kind of mute at this point but there is just a hint of wood with mostly sweet malts and some hops. Taste is some what sweet with just a hint of oak. The taste is that of chocolate syrup, malt and maybe a light hit of hop bite then finishes with the oak, wood flavor.

This is just lighter than squeezing chocolate syrup out of the bottle but has a light alc kick. The Oak Aged version is slightly better than the standard Yeti but it just doesn't do it for me. I love me a RIS but just not on board with the Yeti.

3.06/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Jet black, with a quarter-inch chocolate head

S: Oak, fusel alcohols, charcoal, carob

T: Intense burnt roast. dark chocolate.

F: Medium body, low carbonation.

O: I'm not generally a huge fan of new oak BA stouts, and this is no exception. It's rough around the edges, and lacks the chocolate or vanilla notes I'd prefer.

3.09/5  rDev -27.1%

A - Pours completely opaque. A dark chocolate brown froth sparkles in the light. Forms nice lacing.

S - Dry treated wood, dark chocolate, earthy roasted malt, dry tobacco, hints of vanilla that seems sharpened from the alcohol.

T - Semi-sweet cocoa powder, intense roasted malts. The moderate oak flavor blends with the cocoa to create a strange beach nut type of flavor. Lacquer thinner. The hops and alcohol band together and form an astringent bitterness on the finish.

M - Chewy but smooth, if that makes any sense. A bit hot.

Well I was slightly disappointed by this one. I probably should have let this mellow out. The oak seemed a bit overwhelming and the solvent presence was strong. Everything seemed to be battling to get ahead of one another. I loved the original Yeti.
I might buy another bottle and age it.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company