Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

An amazing looking beer. Black, HUGE head that's thick and leaves lacing all over the place.

An amazing nose, dark chocolate, oak that reeks of vanilla, and dark burnt malt.

Sadly the appearance and nose are the end of the praise. This is simply a mess of a beer. Huge dark chocolate and malt are terribly complemented with some sour oak notes and even worse hop presence. This is a style of a beer I truly love so I can't say that I completely dislike this beer, it's just not good. For a style I'm sure I'd lean toward overrating this isn't a success. It is easily the worst big oak aged stout I've had.

The mouth feel here is pretty darn nice, creamy, a bit of carbonation and a bit of a bite that works well.

This is a hard beer to keep drinking. The problems with the taste just linger and linger. I fully understand I am attacking a beer loved by many. All this said I think the idea of a chocolate or coffee bean version of this will be a damn good improvement. This beer just needs something else to make it work.

2.84/5  rDev -33.3%

2.89/5  rDev -32.2%

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin tan-colored head, which completely evaporated with time. No lacing; just a little collar on each. The body was completely opaque and jet black in appearance.

S- The nose is not as strong as the Espresso Oak Aged variety... impressions of chocolate, vanillins and a bit of oakiness in an overall somewhat mild nose.

T- Right up front, you get that stewed and roasty malt, which is quite nice. But shortly thereafter, you get an intense surge of tannin and oak lactones, which completely overpower the palate and linger on the dry finish. I just feel like the oak was way-overdone here.

M- A medium-plus body with a little oily texture to it. A delicate carbonation and substantial astringency. A touch of heat from the ethanol. Astringency definitely held this back from a better rating in the mouthfeel department.

D- Drinkability is hindered by the overwhelming oak extractives and high astringency. This is definitely a beer worth tasting... but not worth drinking 22oz. of...

2.91/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My wonderful fiancee got a bottle of this for me for my Birthday. Thanks hon!

Pours beautifully dark and rich, tan head, awsome lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, fruity. Nice there.

Taste-- Overpowering roasted black malt. I need more here, more fruitiness, more sweetness, maybe some hops. It just seems too one dimensional to me. Astringant.

Mouthfeel-- A touch thin for an imperial/double stout.

Drinkability-- No thanks, I'll find other double stouts that are more up my alley.

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%

I finally cracked this open tonight after sitting on my shelf a few weeks. A beige foam and a black-brown opaque appearance, exactly what I'd expect for an imperial stout.

Smelled of milk chocolate. I picked out the alcohol quicker than I'd like.

First sip was harsh, almost knocked me over. The chocolate was much darker than my smeller picked up. Coffee back and something of a carmel middle. This sounded delectable, but it was all over-ridden with alcohol. Absolutely piercing. I had to power through every sip. There were redeeming qualities tucked in beneath. Yeti stomped me.

The mouth feel was fine, just the right carbonation for an imperial stout. Smooth, for sure, not syrupy.

2.98/5  rDev -30%

Pours a viscous jet black with huge fluffy espresso colored head. Definetely taste the oak in the this one. Very smokey in a fairly unpleasant way. I have not had the non-oaked version but am curious about it due to the smoke on theis one overwhelming virtually all other flavors. Thick mouth feel overall but maybe a little thin for an imperial stout. Not my favorite but maybe someone who goes for oaked beers would like this one.

2.98/5  rDev -30%

I really wanted to like this beer, but I think it is seriously overoaked and what is normally a very nice stout has become a mess. Pours black with a thick tan head. Smell is roasty, sour, and with hints of vanilla. Both the sourness and vanilla come in large part from the wood. The taste is all wrong. There are roasty notes, malt, and chocolate struggling to make themselves known, but they are obliterated by the heavy oak flavors. It tastes like there is a shot of anejo tequila in this beer. Heavy vanilla, wood sourness, and cherry flavors from the wood as well as a woody aftertaste make this less than enjoyable for me. Give me the non oak-aged Yeti any day over this. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but still there is that tannic wood in the background cutting against it. Not very drinkable at all, like a beautiful cabernet that someone has oaked all to hell. More restraint on the wood would have added subtle touches of wood and vanilla sweetness and would have been welcome. I'll try another batch in the future and see how it goes.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is a beast of a beer. It pours black, nothing but black. The head is thick and a dark cappuccino color. The head stays for a long while and leaves loads of lacing. It smells of vanilla, coconut, and oak. There is lots going on in the nose (it almost has a smell of soy sauce, is my bottle bad? Am I crazy?).

The taste is bold. It makes me think of red wine with the complexities going on here. There is just so much to pay attention to. It is a little viscous, more so than I would like. Then again, it makes me think of bourbon--So much going on. Strong tastes of burnt coffee and burnt chocolate and a little spicy. Dark roasted malts with a very earthy taste with slight vanilla hints.

This is a big beer, both in taste and alcohol (9.5% ABV). While it is good, it is not for me. This is obviously a very popular beer, but it isn’t something that I would drink on a regular basis. It is just too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, good beer, just not for me.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Split with my GF and poured into Duvel Tulip. Poured a nice khaki colored 3 finger head. Looks viscous and oily just like it should. Smells of Burnt malts and roasted coffee. Taste is where I lose it. Wayyy too boozy and hot. Chocolate and coffee is there just too far in the backround for me. Mouthfeel is thick and not my favorite RIS by any means. Drinkability is very low and one of these was enough.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company