Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,612 | Hads: 4,294
3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oak aged Yeti pours deep brown with a milk chocolate head which eventually settles into a nice layer.

Chocolate, oak, non-bitter coffee, a tinge of vanilla.

Light chocolate with predominantly coffee rounding this out. Bits of malt and plain ol' oak barrel.

Medium to full bodied. Bitter coffee bean finish.

This is a nice, simple stout. Coffee and chocolate, a bit of oak and for the life of me I couldn't find much else. Bitter coffee, a high ABV and oak need to be contrasted with some sweetness in my opinion. I would prefer a bit more complexity and a heavier mouthfeel on this too. (590 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -16.5%

Black to extremely dark brown in color of the body. Huge rocky head that is coffee color. Great retention, I think it plans to sit there all night. Leaves some thick sticky lacing.

Sweet and roasted malty smell, chocolate. Vanilla is noticeable, with a little bit of booze.

The vanilla oak flavor is right up front, and a little less subtle than I would expect. Huge roasted malts in the middle, chocolate. Just a slight hop spiciness and boozy flavor in the finish. Creamy with good carbonation.

A little boozy for me to get a graet drinkability, but a solid brew. (568 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. Bottled 10/7/2011.

Appearance - Pours with a big mocha head. Settles to just a collar, but a nice one. Just a couple of flecks of lace.

Smell - Oak and lots of black patent malt. Slightly grassy nose to it. Very chocolatey.

Taste - Oak immediately present again, but dies down to a more standard Yeti flavor. Still very green, almost grassy. Chocolatey and bitter. A variety of bitternesses. Oak bitterness, hop bitterness, and malt bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Abrasive bitterness, but nice body. Medium carbonation.

Overall - All these Yeti beers have the same grassy bitterness that I don't welcome in a stout. I get that it's an RIS, but it's over the top. The oakiness doesn't smooth it out at all, just adds to it. (766 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this brew. I tend to go back and forth on oak aged brews- I love them or I hate them. This one I'm oddly in the middle on.

Smelled and tasted very winey, some brandy in there, cherries and/or other dark fruits. I think the oaking was a bit on the overpowering side. The stout flavors are just not coming through like they should.

Mouthfeel was a bit too thick for my liking, and this guy was a bit hard to drink. By no means a bad beer, but it was just a bit... lost, muddled. Bland, even. Too much oak, not enough of other things. I'll let this guy sit for a while and try again- perhaps with the un-oaked version. (654 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

Well, I figured I might as well try this one since the Yeti didn't live up to my expectations. Sadly, this one didn't either, though it doesn't mean this isn't a good beer by any means.

Pour was a solid black, as a RIS should be. No light was really visible either. Fairly low carbonation and a great looking cocoa tan head.

Smell was good but not as profound as other greats that come to mind for the style. The usual roasted malts and hints of vanilla and even charcoal. Some oak comes up followed by a fresh and earthy hop aroma.

Taste was roasted chocolate malts up front. Oak and vanilla again present and paired with the slightest alcohol burn. There was also a bitterness towards the end with the hops playing a role here. A lot going on but not necessarily in all the right places.

Mouthfeel was rich and creamy, close to full though not what I expect. Warming at times but an unwelcome hop bitterness confronts the tongue.

Overall drinkability isn't all that bad. One bomber was enough for me and I'd consume one rarely. This just isn't as bold and flavorful as some top contenders I've tasted.

Compared to the Czar brewed in the same state I consider both Yeti and Oak Aged inferior but this is only one opinion. Try this one, you just might like it! (1,270 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

2010 brewing (bottled 10/7/10) poured into tulip glass.
Paid $11/bomber

A: Pours a deep black, so much so that my glass is acting like a mirror, with a nice mocha brown colored head. Head started 2 fingers and quickly reduced to a thin lacing along the top.
S: Really nice. Rich coffee and chocoalte nose.
T: I taste wood, hence the oak I guess. A a deep chocolate flavor. A bit of bitterness
M: Beer does a nice job of coating. It's a little dry, but the flavors do a nice job at hitting all the right spots.
D: This is a nice beer that I feel is bottled just right; a bomber is gonna be about my limit, but I might crave a bit more than a 12oz bottle. I'm interested to see how this travels through time. (709 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

A- black as night, with a sweet brown head that stays a while. No lasting lacing.

S- Great vanilla aroma, alcohol, oak, sweet bruntness.

T- Roasted coffee comes first witha a blast of the vanilla, which is kind of strong. A slight bit of hop earthyness. Alcohol, chocolate?, oak.

M- sticky with a carbonation bite. A little too sticky for me. A big alcohol burn.

D- The exteme flavours and the burn make this hard to label as drinkable. Maybe the style isn't my thing. There were tons of great things about it but I will not be going back to this one for a while. (567 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounces served on-tap at Egan's, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a pint glass

Pours a sleek, tar-like black body. It's so dark that I think I see glints of steel blue, like how black hair or fabric would always have a blue gleen to it in 80's comic book color palettes. Slightly less than one finger of saddle/tan colored head sticks around for the entirety of the drink. One of the more impressive feats of head retention I've come across in quite some time. Fantastic.

The draught version of Oak-Aged Yeti isn't very complex on the nose. There's lots of chocolate malt aroma (specifically chocolate malt, not chocolate). Some blunt coffee aromas, and something that's been left in the oven for too long. The hops bring a sharp pine note but not much else. The oak chips come across strongly but don't dominate, thankfully. Still, the oak does nothing more for the nose than give you astringency and vanillin. There's nothing wrong with this aroma profile; in fact, these are all aromas that the beer should be giving off. They're just blunt in nature instead of being complex or subtle. Above-average nose.

I feel much the same way about how this Yeti tastes. The flavors are all things that you want to taste, but it's the difference between tasting a great dish at a restaurant and trying to recreate it at home: you may know every ingredient, but you probably haven't created the flavor as artfully as the chef did. Perhaps I should have just gone with a comparison to homebrew: the blunt, base flavors here make this beer taste like very good homebrew. Anyway, the oak chips here sort of take over things. Lots of astringency, so much that it masks the hops! Stouty flavors and some slight vanilla to sweeten things up. Some alcohol heat on the finish. It's tasty enough, but kind of boring.

The oak chips have thinned out the beer's body. It isn't as substantive or thick as I would have liked to see. Other than the creaminess level, it's appropriately smooth. The alcohol will get to you pretty quickly, even though the beer is only 9.5% ABV.

Overall, this rendition of Yeti is nothing more than an above-average Imperial Stout to me. It tastes good enough, but I prefer a more complex array of flavors. There's something about the Yeti series that seems to disagree with my palate. I find them, with the exception of the superb Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti, to be much closer to average for the style than they are to being great. Nothing to turn down, but nothing to go out of your way for either. (2,499 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Esch for this one.

A- Pitch black, little to no head. The edges have a translucent dark brown rim to it. The sides of the glass retain some inky brown layer.

S- Smell some wood (duh)salty brown sugar, like soy sauce, now I can't get soy sauce out of my head...but it is not overwhelming.

T- Dark rich flavors of bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans, smokey woodness (duh). I am stuck on the bitterness at the end, almost tastes sprucey. Then a little warmth rolling down my esophagus, makes my chest feel all warm.

M- Smooth, thick slick feel on my tongue.

D- I am very pleased to have had the opportunity to try this guy, thanks again Esch. I really enjoy the Imp Stouts in general. I think that I may not enjoy the high IBU's in stouts. With that being said, I didn't love this one. Not bad by any stretch, but not great according to my hack of a palate. (879 characters)

22oz
Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome. Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate and wild turkey.

Taste is dominated by bourbon and burnt grain. Not bad… Hides the alcohol a bit better than the regular Yeti.

Get this one just to see the pour. Spectacular. Unfortunately, the beer is just ok. (408 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing this one to the tasting. I've had the Yeti and I was impressed. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't stick around long, but leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was just way too hoppy. Nothing came through in the nose other than hops. I wanted some bourbon or oak character here. Nothing other than hops. The flavor was the same way. All of the malts and the great oak character were hidden by the overpowering hops. The body is there, but the drinkability isn't. This could have been so much better without all the hops. (581 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a very dark brown/black in color with a little bit of head that is gone fast.
Smell is predominantly hops. Not allowing anything else to come through.
Taste is pretty much the same, but you can get some underlying stout characteristics underneath. I'm just simply not a fan of overhoppy stouts the likes of Storm King etc. You can notice that the oak aging has tamed it a bit. Definitely helps. (401 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

This was good, but I was a lttle disappointed after how much I enjoyed the Yeti (not oak aged). This poured a similar jet black with a thick, dark tan head that lingered well and left good lacing. Aroma was not as pronounced as the original, but still had hints of the malty sweet chocolate-toffee. The first thing that hit me upon sipping was the thin body, which surprised me. The taste was still there, but not as pronounced as Yeti. As the beer warmed, the alcohol became more noticeable, and left a long, warming finish. Not bad at all, but I never did catch the oak scent or taste,and given a choice, I’ll drink Original Yeti any time. (642 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Purchased from Hy-Vee Grocery in Sylvis, IL. Bottled on date is Nov. 05 2010. Poured into La Fin du Monde tulip. Tasting notes with Emily.

Appearance: Pitch black. Very nice espresso/copper color two finger head. Great lacing around the glass.

Smell: Oak nose. Almost a boozy nose, almost. I can detect the alcohol ever so slightly, but it's hard to tell the heavy oak and booze apart to me.

Taste: Heavy on the oak. Cloying smoke coats the back of my tongue. Immediate vanilla, only to give way to more smoke and oak.

Mouth: The moutfeel is lively, but I can't get past the oak. It does have a nice creaminess to it.

Drink and Overall: It is drinkable. I'm glad I'm sharing this bomber. I feel like the oak can be a bit overwhelming. It's a nice beer, I am enjoying it, do enjoy it. (791 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Can't make out the bottled on date, save sometime in 2008.

Pours a thick opaque black. Almost 2 fingers of chocolate milk froth slowly falls leaving sheets of foam which reduce to a fine mesh of lace.

Aroma is boozy, perfume, and chocolate with a noticeable oak character.

Flavor is starts a little boozy and perfume-like, but switches into a smooth chocolate. A hint of roast and good oak pairs with a decent bitterness in the finish. There's also a strong kick of alcohol in the finish.

Smooth, chewy, with an appropriately low level of carbonation.

A solid RIS for sure. But not what I'll reach for when I go for an RIS. (628 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bottle served into sampling glasses.

A- Deep mahogany-black/opaque. Pours with a thin brown head, which fades rapidly, leaving a thin, filmy covering, and some sparse foamy spots.

S- Oak and vanilla notes to be had strongly at first, but fade fairly quickly. Fairly pronounced alcohol bite.

T- A bit of vanilla and sweetness, with hints of coffee, chocolate, and some fruitiness. All of this takes a backseat to the substantial oak finish. Bitterness is fairly substantial, and increased by the oak presence.

M- Low carbonation. Nice and full, with good creaminess.

D- High ABV% and substantial oak presence make this a small-ish quantity sipper IMO.

Future outlook: This stuff was decent, to be sure, but the oak-flavor was just a tad beyond the level I would prefer. Did this tasting in a side-by-side comparison with a 3 year old bottle provided by beveritt, and flip-flopped several times on which incarnation I preferred. A clearly solid beer worth trying, but one I probably won't seek in the near future. If you like Oak-aged beers with substantial oak flavor, this is a beer you will want to try. (1,133 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 9/24/12. Poured from a bomber into a chalice.

A beautiful beer that unfortunately looks better than it tastes. Definitely a complex beer, but the "regular" Yeti is much better. Unfortunately the hops and the vanilla are over shadowed by the booziness of the brew. Difficult to finish an entire bomber, which is typically not an issue for me. Maybe some bottle aging would provide some improvement.

A - Viscous, full bodied, black. Half-finger rocky brown head, which disipates rather quickly. Slight lacing.

S - Boozy, bourbon, chocolate, sweet, roasted malts.

T - Roasted malt, oaky, nice hoppines, some bourbon, lingering alcohol in the finish, subtle vanilla.

MF - Chewy, slick, alcohol hot. (711 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours black with an amber-brown head. Smell of rich sweet maltiness, a little roastiness and a nice bourbony alcohol smell. Any vanilla aroma from the oak is quite minimal which is nice, better than overpowering for me. Taste starts with sweet malt and vanilla and is quickly followed by some roastiness and alcohol combined with a pretty good size pine hop bite in the finish. I've got one of these in the cellar about 1 1/2 years old now and I'd like to try that one, let the malt flavors have more of a chance, my taste buds were pretty well slammed from the hops in this fresh version. Good ris, one I definitely look forward to an aged sample of. (651 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

I had to try this one given all the other wood and barrel-aged beers I've had lately.

Pours a very dark brown with a moderate head that did not last very long. Light smells of chocolate and coffee. Taste reminds me of how I remember those little del Monte pudding tins used to taste. The memory was so strong I actually tasted the metal from the cup. I only got a quick taste of that, so I'm chalking it up to my head and not my tongue.

Mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side for me.

Drinkable with dessert, I'm not a huge fan, though. (542 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

A:Pours black with a brown head that has good retention.
S:A very dry roasty aroma. The dryness is coming from the oak that is also present in the aroma.
T:A very bold dark roast flavor with a bit of dryness. There is some oak woody flavor to it. In the middle there is some chocolate and coffe present along with some spiciness. The end is a little sweet. I haven't had the original Yeti yet so I'm not sure how different the two are, but this one is a good beer.
MF:Medium body with low carobonation.
D: It's good but because of the strong flavor and acohol I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these in a row. It's a great beer to drink if you're in the mood to only drink one. (684 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

The Oak Aged Yeti came in a 22oz bomber and poured black as night with a 2-3 finger foam with a soapy, sudsy lacing with some solid retention.

The aroma was strong oak smell with roasted malts and coffee.

The taste was heavy on the alcohol flavor, vanilla with a sharp bite on finish. At first I could taste the hops, then coffee. In the mouth it was pretty thin for a stout and it has a finish of Kentucky Whiskey from the oak barrels I am sure. Overall a good drink but I prefer the standard Yeti much better. (514 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout. (302 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a strong head and pretty lacing stuck around. The smell was woodsy and roasted malt. Dark malty taste at first, but soon the alcohol hits and overpowers things for me. Long hoppy bitter finish. Medium to full bodied, can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A sipping beer for me, no way I can finish a bomber. (325 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A beautiful inky black pour with a tall dark tan that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Strangely, the first thing I notice is the hops followed by a mild fruity scent. Roasted malts, a little oak and coffee are soon to follow.

T - I gave this some originality points, but this really isn't my style. I like the bitterness level and that this is not overly sweet. There is some sort of weird fruity/citrus flavor that clashes with the roasted malt and coffee flavors. Oak is barely detectable.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - I could drink quite a bit of this, but since I don't really enjoy the flavor I moved on pretty quickly. (636 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this with great anticipation into a tulip glass and shared the bomber bottle with a good friend.

It poured a very dark black and an inch tall chocolate milk colored head slowly rose in the glass. It was a fine looking stout. The head remained for most of the beer, continually refreshed by swirling the glass.

I was a little surprised by the hoppiness of this beer, although the label does promote it as a fairly hopped up beer. I found it a little out of place for such a dark stout. Malty and some coffee aromas, with some slight toffiness as well.

This beer had many layers of flavors as it warmed up in the glass. It started quite bitter, very similar to a Bigfoot barley wine. As it warmed, it began to have almost a buttery quality, and the hoppiness definitely mellowed. It still had a very bitter aftertaste, though. I could also taste the hints of vanilla that were promised on the label. I liked this better as it warmed, but still was a bit put off by the high hop content.

It had a stout mouthfeel. Rich, smooth, not overly carbonated, and warming from high ABV which was very well hidden.

Overall, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine than an imperial stout. It was an interesting brew with many levels of flavors, but not my favorite. (1,278 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company