Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,605 | Hads: 4,265
4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours an opaque bitch black with a perfect 1.5" dark khaki head. Huge globs of lace cling to the sides of the glass... absolutely perfect looking beer.

Huge smells of vanilla, chocolate, nuts, and some hops in the back. Wonderful smell... I could inhale this scent all day long, but I am eager to drink it.

Big oaky flavors make themselves apparent. Vanilla is also very evident, along with a toffee flavor.... surprisingly hoppy for an oak aged brew, although I suppose the 75 IBUs should have tipped me off.

Big, thick mouthfeel. Very chewy and subtle on the tongue... exactly how an impy stout should feel.

The only thing that hampers the drinkability is the 9.5% by content, and I suppose its thickness. But as for being able to simply tolerate the taste... I could drink this beauty all night long.

I cannot say enough good things about this brewery... they constantly impress me. Well done. (913 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: This was poured from a 22 oz bottle into tumbler. Color is mocha-dark with a nice frothy head that reminds me of turbinado-sugar rich latte foam.

Scent: Smell is mild and syrupy, yet it is pleasant and not noxious in the very least.  The second wave follows with a subtly sweet and nutty aroma with hints of caramel candy.

Taste: The first sip brings a very very slight chocolate-cherry sweetmess. There is definitely a nutty aftertaste that kicks in after the sip has finished swirling around the mouth.  A slightly bitter (but pleasant!) tanginess remains after the stout has gone down.  Upon going down, this beer warms the throat nicely.

Mouthfeel: This double has a smooth body which does not allow itself to be overpowered by the the alcohol here. I don't feel it is as heavy as some other double stouts i have had before. It has just enough spice to tingle and supplant the taste, but not enough to make the mouth it burn.

Drinkability: The Yeti is very easy to drink. Each sip is large and fruitful, encouraging one to savor and enjoy. Each sip builds layers onto the taste, building complexity and flavor. This is definitely one of the top double stouts i have had the pleasure of drinking. Even though I tend to shy away from beers that exhibit a lot of hops, I found the hoppiness to help in building character. (1,349 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this brew. I tend to go back and forth on oak aged brews- I love them or I hate them. This one I'm oddly in the middle on.

Smelled and tasted very winey, some brandy in there, cherries and/or other dark fruits. I think the oaking was a bit on the overpowering side. The stout flavors are just not coming through like they should.

Mouthfeel was a bit too thick for my liking, and this guy was a bit hard to drink. By no means a bad beer, but it was just a bit... lost, muddled. Bland, even. Too much oak, not enough of other things. I'll let this guy sit for a while and try again- perhaps with the un-oaked version. (654 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Poured a beatiful black with a nice tan head.

S - Strong with the oak. Also has strong molasses and some chocolate in there..

T - Mid malt presence and blanced with the hops. Chocolate covered cherreis and kinda sweet.

M - Easy on the pallette.

D - For it's style a litttle bland. But for being a double stout it's right on the money. (354 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter. Pretty damn opaque. Creamy forithy tan head. Smells like dark and red fruits, jammy, like blueberries, etc., with a touch of vanilla and woodiness. The oak-aging is quite apparent in the nose. Alcohol apparent too. Very aggressively hoppy up front, some intense dark chocolate and pluminess, a quite woodsy/vanilla sweetness, and a fairly bitter, drying finish. The mouthfeel is thick, but something about the carbonation is lacking. Not my favorite double stout or oak-aged beer, but not bad. (537 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Oak-aging a big beer is always a compelling tactic.
It worked pretty well here though maybe could have used some more time to mellow out. The oak covers up a lot of the more subtle stout flavor, and meshes a bit strangely with what are otherwise more dominant stout flavors. Reminded me quite a bit of Avery's Samael's oak aged ale in the oakyness but Samael's struck me as being a bit more unique?
I'd try this again if only to taste side by side against the un-oak-aged version. (482 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I first tried this beer at the Festival of Barrel Aged Beer (FoBAB), Chicago Illinois in 2004. I remember it knocking my socks off as it was the most flavorful and aggressive beer that I had tasted to that point. Samples of the beer has shown up here and there since, but the beer still packs a punch. Yesterday, I sat down with a 750 of the regular Yeti, so this review is somewhat in comparison.

The pour turns an insanely viscous, malt pitch black with a brown-ish moussy head that tops the beer like whipped cream. Retention, lacing, and legging are all ideal.

Extreme maltiness carries with it eqully intense espresso, bittersweet cocoa, caramel, toasty-roasty notes that never waiver. Surprisingly, more fruity notes are experienced in this version of Yeti than the original; licorice, grapes, dates, plumbs, cherries, and other fruitcake aromas.

Flavors do mostly the same. Very rich flavorings of the cocoa and coffee dominate with the backup of fruity, boozy boldness. The taste is much more round, complex, and full than the hop-laiden original Yeti. The barrel aging doesn't really give much woodiness or zeal, but it does better emphasize the fruity notes of the beer while taking the rougher edges off of the hops and fusal alcohols.

A bit smoother, rounder, and richer than Yeti the beer takes on a marshmallow-like fullness and savory textures. Much easier to drink. (1,385 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from the bomber into a pub glass.

Appearance: Pours a perfect blackness no hints of opaqueness noted. The head towered briefly then retreated to an ever present carmel mocha film on the beer. A little toffee colored lacing clung onto the glass relentlessly.

Smell: Fantastic loads of vanilla and coconut jump forth combining with the original Yetis herbal chocolate and coffee dunked pine cone. Smells very spicy alot is going on here and it does not clash with the other smells.

Taste: This has loads of woody herbal coffee and chocolate flavors combined with coconut and other fruity goodness. This monster is loaded with hop goodness that prevents excessive sweetness. This beer is pleasingly spicy.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a good beer. This beer should be sipped and savored. It has a fairly high alcohol content but is well balanced and very smooth. I think I will have to repeat the regular Yeti soon for a closer comparison. (959 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

(Served in a snifter)

A-This beer pours an inky black body with a nice size dark brown head with a faint reddish hint. The tiny bubble of carbonation roll up the sides of the glass.

S- As soon as I started pouring I could smell the wonderful dark malts. The slight sweetness of caramel, molasses and dark brown sugar are combined with a slight smoky, oak hint and a faint hop note. It has a soft hint of leather way in the background. As it warms some notes of vanilla and prunes start to show up.

T- The dark malt that is deep roasted and some roasted black grain have very soft flavors to them. It finishes with a nice hop spiciness. There is a nice bitterness to the malt that is mixed in with the hop finish, which gives it more depth.

M- This beer has a medium full mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture. There is no alcohol warmth and no astringency.

D- This a very smooth beer that has good complexity. The smells and flavors are dark but not harsh. It was a bit on the sweet side but had hops to blend with the dark malts. (1,050 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Another beer I picked up at D’s in Pittsburgh, can’t get it anywhere in around here. From a 22oz bomber, pours a very dark brown (almost black) with a small but tenacious, thick brown, foamy head. Excellent thick rings of lacing. Visually, I think this is about as good as it gets, especially from a bottle. The smell is nice and complex, like the style should be. Chocolate, coffee, nuts, esters, lightly woodsy, vanilla, cherry, and a hint of nutmeg and earth. The taste is strong and chocolaty, with alcohol, light dough, and a slightly medicinal taste. The finish is long, warming and lightly bitter with oak and chocolate refusing to leave. The mouthfeel is marvelous, again especially for a bottle. Full body, silky texture, very low carbonation. Overall, it’s very good but I’ve had better. But the mouthfeel alone makes this beer quite memorable. (858 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

this pours very dark, chocolatey brown. the head even looks like chocolate milk. some lacing.

There is a definate caramelized sugar/toffee smell with a malt aroma.

Some sweetness with a little bit of vanilla (extract more than actual vanilla). However i can somwhat taste the alcohol, especially at the bottom of the glass.

this is a very full bodied, smooth beer, its great. I am a fan of a lot of the stuff that great divide has put out including the titan ipa. however, the drinkability i didnt rate as high because i could probablhy only drink a glass or two of this because it is so full-bodied and filling. (622 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Bomber shared with a friend. Poured into wine glasses.

Appearance: Jet black and opaque body. Tan / mocha / slightly amber colored head peeking through. Not much lacing or head, though the lacing stuck a decent amount as the brew was consumed.

Smell: Dark, burned, chocolate malt. Where's the oak? I'm a huge oak fan, and there were no hints of it, so how am I buying an oak aged brew? However, there's some coffee-ground remnants in the nose, some mocha, hints of vanilla. It's very good, so I admit that, but I was hoping for a fantastic oak complexity, and I didn't get one.

Taste: Dark chocolate and roast coffee, maybe a little too roasted and not as much sweetness as I'd have liked. And when I say roasted, I mean pretty much burned to shit, though in a good way if that's what you're wanting. This is not for the weak palate. Slight hop bitterness at the end, some notes of vanilla, and still, no oak. Should I have let this age more? But surely a brew for winter, a brew by the fire, a brew to be sipping.

Mouthfeel: A little too much carbonation, which takes away the silkiness. Where is all this carbonation coming from? For a thick-bodied brew, the over-bubbled pressure doesn't seem to meld well.

Drinkability: I was hoping for much more, but this is still a solid brew. With so many other fantastic stouts out there, I don't know if this would be my first choice, but I'd like to try this again, because I have confidence maybe if I let one sit the oak would improve everything, maybe even help the carbonation out a little bit. But if you're a double stout fan it's definitely worth a try for sure. (1,633 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Sampled: 10.26.05

Appearance is black. Deep part of night black. And on the edges of the void are burgundy highlights. There’s foam upon pour and it will rise when the glass is swirled, but it fades fairly quick and leaves little to no lacing.

The aroma is complex. It’s rich and sweet up front, but the roasted woodiness of it follows up behind. There are caramel and graham crackers floating around in there as well. But deeper nasal investigation reveals creamy vanilla. Wonderful nose on this brew.

Complexity trailed from the nose straight into the flavor. Sweet and malty is your initiation, followed by apparent burnt chocolate. Barley flavors reside underneath the original flavor burst along with woody vanilla tones. The brew finishes with a very balanced bitterness. Sits light in the mouth for such a heavy hitter, and is mid to low carbed. The finish is quite dry. Very impressed.

It’s a brew made to savor, but it’s quite drinkable. The complex nature didn’t slow me as much as I’d thought, but I did take my time as I’m not sure when I’d get another bottle. I will definitely be getting another bottle, though. (1,145 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

I had to try this one given all the other wood and barrel-aged beers I've had lately.

Pours a very dark brown with a moderate head that did not last very long. Light smells of chocolate and coffee. Taste reminds me of how I remember those little del Monte pudding tins used to taste. The memory was so strong I actually tasted the metal from the cup. I only got a quick taste of that, so I'm chalking it up to my head and not my tongue.

Mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side for me.

Drinkable with dessert, I'm not a huge fan, though. (542 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz. bomber. $6.99 at Once Upon A Vine.

A: Despite the satisfying "pfft" as I opened the bottle, there was precisely zip/zero/zilch head whatsoever, even with an aggressive pour. Couldn't get anything. No sheeting lace action after the sip. No wispy thin layer of lace. Color is very dark, but as the glass empties, it takes on an appearance similar to that of tincture of mecurcrhome. Bits of crimson at the edges.

S: Vanilla beans soaked in wood casks. Lots of boozy notes here. Very sugary as well. A hint of dark and bitter baking chocolate.

T: Smoky chocolate up front. Vanilla extract shows up and mixes with a charred wooden booze barrel. Coffee beans break in. Lingering bourbony aftertaste with a dash of bitterness. Definitely more subdued than regular Yeti.

M/D: Flat, with zero carbonation. Not as thick and chewy as expected. Not as boozy as other aged beers I've had.

Notes: Tasty and mellow, but I much prefer "regular" Yeti. Amazing what aging in casks can do to the overall impression of the beer. (1,031 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

I poured the Yeti and immediately noticed its heavy thickness. It had a very dark body and head, but smelled of brown sugar and coffee. As it warmed, the aroma of yeast could be distinguished.
I was excited to taste the Oak contribution but I have to admit it was less pronounced than I would have liked. Also the carbonation was too intense and as many Imperials, the last few sips were taxing on the taste buds. Overall it was very complex with roasty coffee and chocolate hints, along with yeasts and a mild oak flavor. I definitely recommend trying it for any Imperial fans out there, but might be too powerful for any curious fans of milder beers. (654 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thick and black body. Large reverse cascading head of a tan color. Froth holds well and leaves a nice pattern.

Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and a touch of pine in the nose.

The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a grainy, chewy mouth coating. Hops are assertive at the top with a piney vibe. Malts come in at first molasses, then espresso and unsweetened cocoa.

A very pleasurable beer. (394 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

I found no food in the house this morning (10:30 am), so I figured this would do just as well.

Pours like liquid tar and forms an enormous dense tan head that laces wonderfully. The smell seems to be a little subdued from the original, or perhaps its my nose, but i'm picking up scents of vanilla, roastiness, candy cherries and a bit of alcohol--far fewer hops. Again it starts with roastiness, but this time it's taken on an oaky, bourbon quality. Then the cherry sweetness emerges, but is a bit muted compared to the original and more wooden, vanilla like. Then it dries out into the finish with a lasting roasted oaky hop infused presence. It lingers eternal The hops are subdued in this version and supplanted by the oak character. Less aggressive hop bitterness for the oak, yet less cloying too. Perhaps better? I'd give this a 4.75 for taste if it were possible. Mouthfeel is very full, and drinkability is quite good. Great beer, but in the future I'll stick to the original Yeti due to price. (1,005 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

What a pleasant reward after a difficult week!

This brew pours dark as midnight with only the slightest hint of blood red at the very fringes of the beer. Anything thicker than a droplet and no light passes through. The head is a thin cocoa color, breaking down pretty quickly to leave a good ring around the top of the brew. Minimal lacing.

Wow what a nose! Strong notes of coffee, bourbon, prunes and molasses. Strong echoes of warm, nutty fudge cooling on the countertop. One whiff and you know you're in for quite an experience.

One taste and you're deep into that experience... Up front are bitter notes of roasted grain bordering on espresso. Following closely are fruit notes of raisins, apple and plum. Next is a very convincing note of bourbon whiskey or well aged cognac. Last is a pleasant bitter hop finish full of PNW goodness.

Now - take all of those wonderful flavors and add a layer above and below. Above is a light alcohol sweetness mixed with a sweet vanilla taste. Below is a caramel and treacle backbone that carries throughout the drink and ends in a wonderful duet with the hops. Overall it's an incredible harmony of well choreographed flavors.

Mouthfeel is thick and rich like drinking a carbonated hot cocoa. Amazingly there's enough hopping here to overcome all the sticky sweetness and leave a nice dry finish.

Very very tasty, incredibly drinkable. Not something I'd be drinking every day (or even month) but I'd love to have a bottle around to bring out when company is over. While the complex sweet flavors is absolutely incredible, what's more amazing is the hopping required to finish this off so dry. This is like one of my favorite Irish Dry stouts but more, more, more!

[big thanks to LuckySevens82 for shipping a bottle of this out west] (1,795 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a completely opaque black with a nice, thick tan head that retains as well as you could expect from a nearly 10% brew. The aroma is complex and completely enthralling, big notes of oak and vanilla, as well as chocolate, coffee, coconut, floral and citrus hops and blackstrap molasses. The flavor begins with some nice vanilla and oak notes, followed by a lightly sweet dark chocolate, some expresso, dark fruits, light floral and citrus hops and a roasty finish. The oaked version really tones down the bitterness and hops of the original, in favor of more subdued and subtle flavors. The mouthfeel is full and thick but creamy, and drinkability is out of this world for a stout this big. I really enjoyed this beer, it really smoothes the edges of the original, and makes it all the more enjoyable. (805 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

We are boiling 7.5 gal of wort - from 20 lbs of grain with heavy hopping using Amarillo hops. While mashing we had Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Now as we watch the boil, I pour the Oak-agged Yeti, my first review from this brewer. Apearance is beautiful and well worthy of the 4.5 rating. With a little less ABV than the 11% of Goose Islands American Double Stout - Yeti is a smoother brew that offers similar aroma vanilla, some more chocolate, and faint coconut. Taste is more fruity and the full body and thick mouthfeel are nearly perfect. Both of these Am Doubles are awesome in their own right. With a little less complexity however the Yeti offers a better session possibility. ( with ABV nearly 10% your looking at a shorten session) Having never tried the regular Yeti I can't compare it with the Oak aged. Excellent drinkability even when sipped slowly and it approaches ambient temperatures. (908 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a blue, silver, black and white label and a silver foil over the crown. huge silver mountain in the background with "oak aged yeti imperial stout" in an enormous font across the label. "great minds drink alike" and great divide logo on opposite corners of the label. great divide's interpretation of their stout is on the left side of the label. 75 ibu's. no abv or freshness date displayed.

appearance: pours an almost jet black with dark red-brown highlights in a snifter glass. nice tight 1 inch light brown head. pancake batter-like. lacing is excellent. good retention with the head finally dropping to a capper with a thicker ring around the glass after a while.

smell: sweet chocolate, raisins and currants. light coffee and maybe a touch of roastiness. lots of wood. aroma of pencil shavings.

taste: very tasty! chocolate and some coffee with a roasty woodiness. excellent hop bitters. i always wish an impy stout would have just a touch more bitterness. dark fruit undertones. raisins, plums and currants. finish is sweet with chocolate and dark fruits and a light bitterness. some alcohol and warming as the brew warms.

mouthfeel: creamy medium-thick body. good carbonation and bite. rolls around smoothly and swallows just as smooth. everything you can ask for.

drinkability: so tasty it's overly drinkable. very aromatic and smooth. alcohol is there, but not a huge hinderance. almost perfect.

overall: this is an excellent american double stout. thanks a ton to lostbearbrew for sending this to me in a trade. excellent aromas and mouthfeel. flavorful and very drinkable for a 9.5%. i have a bottle of yeti on hold for another year. i can't imagine it any better. excellent bitters to compliment over the top malts rates this higher than other favorites. two enthusiastic thumbs. (1,846 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

No freshness date. Great head thats milkchocolate brown staying forever as thick as whipped cream and a black beercolor make presentation perfect Nose is also great giving lots of chocolate and oak, litle leather and some partly burnt malts.Perfect taste thats coffee/cacao but smooth before getting in a first alcoholic late bitter taste... Wowww this is realy something wonderfull and with that thick but smoth as oil. Driven with 5000 miles cause stays in your mout as smoked and burnt roast. Good cognac like oakness in this one also and looks like everything fits rough but nicely together. Yes this is one om my favorites from now on; thanks Jason! (654 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours black as hell on a moonless night with a small brown head that sticks to the glass nicely. I actually am having trouble describing the smell- it's really amazing... raisins, roasty things, pine, dried apricots, and something flowery with a slight soy undertone- this smell so works. Taste is also quite complex; the coffee, chocolate, and burnt marshmallow are all there, with nice hopping as well; and then there is that tang through all this that I assume is the oak... kind of like vanilla and bourbon... very nice. Nice for its decent mouthfeel, but lack of syrupy-ness. Well put together, really. One bottle of this is more than enough for the night (too much alcohol bite and hops are a little coarse for more than one), but the cravings start very quickly.... (772 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours jet black with a cascading brown-sugar colored head, huge, that stays around and gets sticky. I love that.

Roasted malt and alcohol hit the nose right away, dark fruit, coffee, chocolate, piney hops (there must be a lot of them in there) and a faint whiskey smell.

Right off, this one is a chocolate stout, but wait, there's coffee, rich and deep, roasty malts and bitter espresso. Hints of chocolate stay around after is disappears down the gullet. Don't get any vanilla flavors they are talking about and, if you squint, you might taste the oak. But, man, that's some good stuff either way. And it gets better as it warms, so take your time.

If this beer lacks anything, it is heft on the tounge. Slick and full, put if it were rounder, it'd be ambrosia.

Very enjoyable and unique beer. Stands tall in a sea of similar tasting imperial stouts. I love this stuff. Try some. (892 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company