Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This is our last beer from Great Divide… but I don't remember drinking any of the other ones! I do like their beers, but just haven't had one in a while. I am stoked about this one, though. It's hot outside, but I am on a Russian imperial stout kick right now. That, and light Euro pale lagers. This is a beer style that will get better as it heats up, so maybe I should take this out of the fridge and let it sit for a while.

Speaking of beer, we had dinner tonight at the Praying Monk in Old Town Scottsdale. They actually have a new general manager (he started tonight) and we chatted about the beer blog. He was nice, and we had fun. I ordered a Belgian beer and a Cuban sandwich… I was feeling international tonight! I do think their prices are a little high for Old Town, but they have a pretty good selection. They also have a single tap that is always rotating, so you never know what is going to be on tap.

This one wasn't on tap tonight, but I am ready to start reviewing beers again. It's been too long! So… here we go. Cheers!

In the Glass: Oh man, I could smell this as I was pouring it. I love a big, thick, chewy stout. I bet this one is even good cold! Anyway, it poured quite thick, and left a nice thick dark brown head. It looks like something I could float a quarter on. Words like, "massive" and, "complex" litter the label. Can't wait!!! Oh, and this is dark as night. Let's see what this one smells like.

Nose: This smells like a nice example of a Russian Imperial Stout. Should I capitalize Imperial Stout? Anyway, I will just call it an RIS from here on out. This does smell like a good example of the style, but is a bit "hot". According to BeerAdvocate, this beer can be cellared for a like time. I wonder, at only 9.5% ABV, how long I could cellar this and how good it will get in time. Now that this massive head is starting to leave, I am seeing a nice sticky lace. Can't wait to drink this! So… here we go!

Flavor: Cold, that is GREAT! It is, as I expected, a bit "hot"… but still drinkable. I wouldn't be able to drink more than one or two glasses of this… at 9.5% ABV I might not be able to. But still, that is a lovely flavor. It is nice, thick (not chewable), and has a nice creamy mouthfeel. I will talk about that in a second. The burp is pretty nice, too.

This does have a nice carbonation to it, too. Some of these can get a bit flat… but this one is nicely carbonated. I wish a brewery would start making candy that tastes like beer… imagine a jawbreaker that tastes like a glass of beer. I can see it now… is that a million dollar idea? I have seen beer scented candles and beer scented soap… but never candy. Now I want a sucker!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially creamy offering thin layers of bubbles on the corners of the tongue… but nothing to write home about. The experience here isn't in the mouthfeel, but the finish and the flavor. I bet this beer has a ton of calories, but that's OK. It's worth it! I need to workout tomorrow, anyway. I ate too much tonight for dinner. I missed breakfast AND lunch, but hey… I have a girlish figure to watch!

Aftertaste: The finish is somewhat drying and offers a nice lingering finish. Is that chocolate I am getting? I bet this would make a delicious beer float. Speaking of beer floats, I just read something earlier today about cocoa syrup stout floats. Basically it was a beer float using Kaluha. Sounds good to me!

This is a GREAT example of an RIS. If someone said, "What does an RIS taste like?" Start here. If you are new to big beers like this, you might be turned off from the booze flavor… but just stick with it. It's worth it and will open a door to some delicious big beers. A lot of rare beers, like Dark Lord, are nasty Russian imperial stouts. Pour a glass, light a cigar, and enjoy. Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%