Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,605 | Hads: 4,266
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its cold out I need a beer to warm up with.
This yeti pours a deep black, no brown hints here. A nice fluffy dark tan head rises about one inch up. Head settles to a thin creamy layer that lasts and lasts. Leaves gobs o' lace.
Smell is of smokey, roasted malts. Also aromas of vanilla, molasses, coffee and chocolate.
This Imperial tastes great. Bitter chocolate, vanilla extract, smokiness.
A heavy and creamy mouthfeel that coats and leaves a nice dry, slightly bitter chocolate aftertaste.
A 22 oz bomber will satisfy your Stout craving. Anymore than that and I would need a nap.
Yum. Yum. Yum. (597 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle in a Duvel tulip glass

A: Jet black as stouts should be, but the head was a bit weak

S: Lots of malts and chocolate

T: Not the most complex stout by any means, but a solid taste; lots of chocolate and roasted notes rounded out at the back with a faint hops bitterness.

M: Not as thick in the mouthfeel as I would prefer from the style

D: Very drinkable and smooth. You could probably finish a whole bomber without laboring too much. (458 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearence is extremely dark, possibly the darkest I've had. Beautiful two-finger espresso colored head that lasts throughout. Around the edge of the head is a darker, orange colored ring. Leaves behind a very nice lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells amazing...vanilla right off the bat, dark chocolate, raisin, just a slight hint of other fruits..pear or plum possibly? Oak and lots of hops.

Taste is very complex, begins with some bitterness from the hops but it quickly dissipates and brings about the vanilla and oak, then coffee, and finishes with some hoppy tones.

Mouthfeel is thick and warm, full of flavor and very pleasant.

I would drink this beer very often if it were easier to find in Columbus, the abv seemed even higher than 9.5 although it wasn't apparent in the flavor. This beer is one damn fine example of why I usually prefer Imperial Stouts over Porters...Excellent. (904 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Black as a black hole ! Thick dark brown head that fades and leaves around two fingers after its calmed down. Lovely Lacing.

Smell: Hops, Alcohol, Burnt/Char, coffee, cocoa.

Taste: Alcohol, Burnt/Char, Coffee, Cocoa, burnt sugars ?

Mouthfeel: Thick and sexy. Coats the mouth and leaves a slight burn followed by charred oakey coffee !

Drinkability: For me, I love a good stout, and could drink one daily... although its probably not the best idea. Great to share with a few buddies over conversation ! (521 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours with the same great head as the original Yeti and still looks enticing. Has an odd smell I can't recognize, very musty. The brew gained some smoothness and a bit of consistancy on the mouthfeel, but a bit milder on the bitterness. Also, I can tast a little bit of vanilla.
Still a very good beer; however, the oak takes away the other aromas that were in the original yeti, that I liked very much, like coffee, chocolate, and that roastiness. This is my only dislike with this brew. Though, it possesses it's own charicteristics that make it an oak aged IS. (564 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours think-pitch black with an incredibly sexy dark copper head that shines. Smells of think dark chocolate, frosted covered dark chocolate donuts, and all wrapped in some licorice. The sheer look and nose alone makes this beer pleasing. The taste does justice to the nose, and actually has a little bit of a background of acid to make the beer feel lively. Very creamy, silky bakers yeast of darkbreaded cinnamon cupcakes. I'm sure theres quite a bit of hops in this beer to really make a good effort to balance the dark roasted style of this lively oaked beer. The only thing is the notes of oak are very elusive, only the slighest hint of vanilla prevails on the background of the yeast. A great beer, very drinkable with a balance of hops to the malt. What can i say, this beer is sexy. (791 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Amazing. Deep roasted malt balanced by heavy carbonation and oak dryness. Served in snifter. Aroma of espresso, malt, oak, vanilla and deep carmel. The dryness of alcohol and oak balance this malt heavy and sweet aroma driven beer. My personal favorite for this style. (268 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

This is my first Oak Aged Imperial Stout so I have no point of reference from which to judge it against others. I had just finished a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout when I decided to pop this. Probably a mistake, but I did cleanse my palate.

The first thing I noticed immediately upon pouring was the very dark, chocolatey rather full head. The smell is slightly woody with a hint of chocolate and carmel, My first sip told me this was a fine stout with no bitter aftertaste. For me, it is difficult to sort out the variety of flavours this held. There is a semi sweet taste that immediately hits. Perhaps a dark cherry. Very little alcohol taste, although it was a bit oily and dig linger, pleasingly so.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare this to the Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, but this isn't a bad beer and one I will definitely try again, on it's own. (860 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle: Aroma of sweet roasted malts, caramel and hops. Black body with a creamy, brown lasting head. Nice lacing. Full bodied. Hops, roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, liquorice and oranges in the flavour. Oily texture. Sweet/ bitter finish. A great beer and very enjoyable. (275 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - Pours and looks like used motor oil. Thick, black with a dark caramel colored head. Head disperses quickly and just leaves a caramel colored ring around the glass.
S - Smell is sweet with some hints of coffee, chocolate and estery alcohols.
T - Taste is bitter sweet. Roasted malt is very apparent, but there's enough coffee and dark chocolate bitterness to cut through. I didn't get much vanilla from the oak, but I'd have to line this up side-by-side with the regular Yeti to know the difference.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy. What you'd expect from a big stout.
D - Great to drink, but heavy and highly alcoholic which would limit most people to only one or two in a sitting. But nothing about the taste that would make you want to stop.

Really enjoyed this beer, but I'd have to say the regular Yeti on tap was better than this in a bottle. If I can find it on tap I'd love to give it another try. I'd also like to try it side by side with the regular Yeti so I can better appreciate the oak aging. (1,006 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with a friend. Deep dark brown in color with a nice tan thick head. Aroma of dark chocolate and very roasty like coffee. Very roasty. Big malty aroma. Big palate. Palate is smooth. Rich flavors. Full bodied beer. Excellent enjoyable beer. (252 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from a 22oz bottle a thick, inky black that is opaque even when held up to bright light. After a vigorous pour, the light brown head swelled and held at around an inch and a half and left rings of lacing as I drank. The head was darker than many beers are themselves and at least some of the dense, rich cap stayed for the whole session. Smell is of dark chocolate and vanilla and not very strong. The taste is a nice balance of roasted dark malt bitterness and woody, vanilla notes. Slight hop profile in the finish. Subtly smoky oak flavor masks the alcohol nicely. The body is full and chewy with a pleasant creaminess. This is delicious beer from Great Divide and I was very happy when my local Whole Foods started carrying it. I've picked it up several times and will continue to do so. (797 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured opaque black with small brown head.

Smelled like coffee and roasted malts. Could also make out a some caramel and something that reminded me of whiskey. I assume this was from the oak aging.

Strong roasted malts flavors dominated. With a bit of vanilla and coffee. Excellent layering of flavors. Very complex and luxurious.

Felt very smooth, with very little carbonation.

This beer has excellent flavor and smoothness, but it is also very filling. It is one I will definitely get again, but I would not be able to drink large amounts at a time. This beer was a graduation present from my a friend, who I then shared it with, of course. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend like that. Thanks Bobby! (727 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Imperial stout isn't usually the first beer I reach for at the liquor store. Even in the dead of winter I find them a little too heavy to really enjoy. And I don't necessarily think they're always more "complex". In my opinion yeast provides the most nuance and complexity in good beer and good luck identifying the yeast in a 75 IBU imperial stout. (A quick review of the Beeradvocate Top 100 proves I'm firmly in the minority on this opinion.) Still, I can appreciate a good imperial stout and Oak Aged Yeti is a worthy contender. This beer pours like motor oil with a rich espresso-like head that doesn't dissipate. It tastes (and feels) like you're drinking a dark chocolate brownie. It actually has pretty good balance despite the pugilistic flavor profile. It's definitely big and you do get some good oak. I wasn't that hungry tonight so this Yeti is my meal and I have to say I'm enjoying my meal.

Recommended music pairing - Black Keys - Brother (955 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

A- pours a deep opaque black, and a thick tan head that stays on the beer for a long time
S- sort of weak on the nose, a little oak and a little toasted malts
T- lots of toasted oats and malts, a small bit of dark chocolate and coffee, with a little touch of alcohol, the oak comes through on the aftertaste, i just want more of the flavors
M- could be a lot thicker for an oak aged stout, but its not bad, slightly creamy, lingers on the pallet for some time
D- pretty drinkable, but the alcohol shows itself just a little too much, it could use 6 months to a year in the cellar (579 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- pitch black body with creamy brown heady and minimal lacing
S - oak and chocolate, aroma not as strong as I was expecting
T - huge oak flavor initially with bitter sweet chocolate and coffee. Strong coffee flavor lingers
M - moderate
O - great stout with huge flavors (271 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

I love Great Divide.

These guys are my Southern Tier Brewing equivolent of the West/Mid-West.

Oak Aged Yeti is truly a beast. This stout has enormous flavor and packs a punch. The 9.5%abv is remarkable.

If you like stouts this has to be on your list of gotta-try-it.

I wish they sold this by the keg where I live. (317 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Oak Yeti is midnight black in color with a bronze/brown head; lacing is significant. Dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the smell, becoming more pronounced as the stout warms. The roasted and chocolate influences carry over to the taste, with a hint of vanilla. (I haven't tried regular Yeti so can't compare.) Citrus-tasting hops kick in and continue to the end, lingering in the after-taste. I sipped Oak Yeti while watching a movie at home.

Did I enjoy it? - of course, it's bold and powerful. For me, the hops are slightly too prominent compared to the roasted malt components. For a hoppy stout, I prefer something like Bear Republic Big Black Bear where the hops are evident but more in balance. I'll certainly drink Oak Yeti again though and also try the non-oak version. (781 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

This was a gift from my in-laws. Boy what a gift!
Dark as I've ever seen with a dark chocolate, thick head that was creamy and cool.
Smelled of some resiny hops, thick cocoa and some coffee. Almost a vanilla chocolate ice cream smell. Nice vanilla from the oak, but warns of it's impending 75 IBUS.
Took a sip and it was much smoother than expected. Rich chocolate and coffee on the palate, the almost barleywine alcohol in the front and a lingering hop bitterness and roasted astringency in the back. The bitterness stuck around a little longer than I thought necessary, but not too unpleasant.
Mouthfeel was great, very creamy and smooth, and thick. Coated the palate a bit like oil.
I did end up drinking the entire bomber by myself over a period of a couple hours, but it wasn't terribly drinkable. Of course, this style shouldn't be a session beer, but I think it could have had a little more in the drinkability department. (932 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A: As dark as could be, makes for a wonderfully fearful pour.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, wood, are a plethora of others coming out. As I poured, more care to the senses.

T: Well to call this an additive based beer is crap. This is full of flavor, from wood, cocoa, to the hint of slight fruit and vanilla.

M: Very smooth, but with a slight bite. It was not overpowering, but rather a delightful sensation.

O: One of my favorites, not one to be missed. (451 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark, brownish bubbles, not much lacing.

S: Glorious. Sweet chocolaty and woody coffee.

T: Amazing. Oak and chocolate notes, with coffee and a little brown sugar.

M: Very well balanced for such a strong brew.

O: One of my favorite Imperial Stouts...ever...always. (See other Yeti brews...especially the elusive Oatmeal Yeti). (336 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this one last week. Very good. I'd definitely buy again.

Appearance: Thick, dark, with a beautiful brown head. Nothing looks better on beer that a head of dark brown bubbles. Otherwise the beer is dark and clean.

Smell: Deep and malty. I might even say rusty, but in a good way. The oak isn't really coming through in the smell.

Taste: Again, deep and roasty with a little bit of hop. It took awhile for the oak taste to come out, although it was more noticeable once the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. You can tell you're really drinking something. The thickness meant that the carbonation was present throughout which gave the beer a subtle foaminess that I liked.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt one of the most drinkable stouts I've ever tried. I went through it much faster than I anticipated. This could be a session beer on a cold night. (867 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

bottle poured into snifter

bottle aged over 2 years before trying.

A-dark brown color with a smallish tan head that disappears

S-coffee, chocolate, whiskey which is ultimately the OAK

T-dark chocolate, coffee, earthy, molasses, oak, alcohol tasting

F-medium to full body with moderate carbonation, dry finish

O-good stout, really strong oak/alcohol taste but good

Serving type: bottle (391 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. split with jramey2. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours black, black, black, with about a 3-finger (!) head of brown (not tan, like most stouts I've had, brown).

S: Smells like roasted malts and hops. Smell is quite pleasant but not real strong.

T: Taste is of malts, hops, and oak. Hoppier than most RIS's I've tasted, which to me is a good thing. Touch of chocolate and coffee as well.

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, carbonation is good.

D: Could drink this all night if it wasn't 9.5%.

An excellent stout, and one of Great Divide's better offerings. (560 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer! (664 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company