Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

certainly the most interesting american-made RIS I have had. I understand that oak chips/blocks are placed in steel tanks to impart the oak character. The tannins and other tastes certainly have an impact on this compared to the normal yeti stout - background hints of vanilla, some other spicy notes, and the everpresent taste of wood. Drinkers of simgle malt scotches in young from from some types of bourbon barrels will recognize some of the elements.

the beer pours with a decent head, and the smell is certainly more oak-impacted than the taste is. After drinking this, I have no interest in buying their normal stout if this is available!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured an opaque black color with a small tan head. Sticky, spotty lacing on the glass. Fruity, cherries and strawberry creme, light roast, hops and vanilla aroma. Taste was roasty, light chocolate but very creamy, toasted oak, some alcohol and was nicely hopped. A very interesting creation, certainly meets, and quite possibly exceeds its little brother. Thanks for the bottle Mike!

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

I don't taste a lot of difference between the oak aged yeti and the regular yeti. Don't get me wrong,they are both excellent beers.
But they both have similar taste and aroma profiles.

The smells are of roasty malts, caramel and finishing with toffe and even a slight coffee smell. You get a subtle sense of oak and vanilla aromas but they are not overwhelming.

The taste is of thick rich maltiness, chocolate, caramel and toffee.

It is very full bodied and the mouthfeel is slightly warmer than the regular yeti.

Definitely a nice purchase for $8.99 for a 22. oz bomber bottle.
I will definitely be buying more.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this in a Growler from Vulcan Beverage .. drank from pint glass.. the pour was dark as night..leaving a nice two finger head,mocha in color with small bubbling that topped the head.. the smell was amazing..smell of coco..coffee present..a mouthful begins with a rich malty..coffee that leaves a oak bite..with a small hint of alcohol that warms as its swallowed ..over all its a great explosion of flavors that blend well on the pallet ...that taste is best enjoyed with a slow sip...
Enjoy..

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Bomber to worthy sniffer

A: very dark brown with a thin mocha colored head it is not very thick though and is somewhat translucent around the edges

S: the first thing that you smell is the inside of a oak barrel but its not overpowering then you can smell a bunch of vanilla with hints of roasted coffee and malt similar to regular yeti. There is a hint of alcohol but not much.

T: the oak aging has definitely hid the alcohol i can't taste it at all. THe oak has also made its into the roasted flavor the coffee flavor is minimal but the roasted dark chocolate malt still really comes out this mixes with a vanilla taste that isn't super strong but there for sure. The bitterness of the malt really comes out in the finish and you are reminded it actually is a stout, but there is also that smokey roasted flavor that although mild maintains itself through the finish.

M: The feel is not light but isn't thick either its oily with light carbonation but at a cellar temperature its not really noticeable. There is an almost chewy texture toffee like for sure

O: This is a really good RIS that definitely changed and in many ways benefited from the oak aging process. The oak flavor comes out and mixes in the vanilla well into an already great beer. I do not know whether or not its an upgrade, its different and really good but I don't know if its better as I really like the the original roasted coffee flavor that is somewhat muted. Regardless I really wanna try the expresso version and am now even willing to try the belgian version if I see it around.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Rich black color with a dark tan head, thick and creamy. A lot of sweet scents, nothing bitter. Taste is rich and creamy, a lot of chocolate flavors, nothing bitter and no smoked coffee flavor. Just a nice clean stout, some subtle oak flavors but nothing jumping out, I think it helps smooth out the beer. I felt really good after this one, no alcohol flavors but it got to me afterwards, still a really easy drink.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. Bottled on date is 10/31/11, been sitting in my basement for the last year or so.

A- Pours thick and black as night with a half fingers worth of khaki head that quickly fades. The head leaves some nice froth around the edges of the glass.

S- Smells great. Roasty malts and chocolate dominate the smell for me. I also get coffee notes.

T- Taste is similar to the smell. I get a sweet chocolate taste initially. Coffee and espresso notes come through as well, in addition to a roastiness with the malts. A nice hop bittering is there too, perfect amount for a stout and not too overpowering.

M- Thick, chewy, slight hop presence. This Yeti drinks smooth and the alcohol is well hidden.

I love the Yeti line, and this one does not disappoint, aged or fresh.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Always love Great Divide. I think about 50% of my reviews are out of my Great Divide balloon glass. My first great brewery tour was at Great Divide. I have a soft spot for their beers, but it's not like I need one. They're damned good. I saw the Oak Aged Yeti at Central Market today on a failed quest to find Lagunitas Sucks and figured it would be a nice consolation prize. Poured into my Great Divide balloon glass from a big ol' bomber.

This thing pours black as night with a legitimately brown head. Dark, dark, dark. I can't complain.

This thing smells syrupy and bit. Chocolate at the forefront. Roastiness as a complement. I'm not good at picking up specific oakiness at times, but this seems to use the oak as a complement than as a driving flavor. Very nice.

The taste is pretty in line with the nose. The oakiness is a rounding factor and soothes the bite of the hops. Very well balanced between oak and hops. I know that was one of my complaints about the standard Yeti (too harsh), but this seems to have everything under control. It's thick and big, but the hops and oak cut through to make it complex and balanced. The chocolate is the main flavor, but there's somewhat of a Black Albert-like sweetness and finish to it. A very good beer that I'm definitely happy with.

Outstanding overall beer and a great improvement on the original. Another victory for Great Divide.

4.51/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 09/18/12

Poured into my Manchester United pint glass.

Look: It pours like what I imagine Unicorn blood looks like. A nightmarish purple that is almost black. The head reflects a bit of that, purple/brownish in color. That alone lets me know I'm in for something special. Light lacing so far.

Smell: I'm getting wood, vanilla, and cocoa. Pretty simple, but the important thing for me is, it doesn't seem to fall off. So far the smell is just as stout as it was when I poured it. Fantastic. No complaints here, and I can't say what it would take to improve. With that being said, my first five ever. (Sidenote: My wife said she smelled Worcestershire sauce, lol)

Taste: Awesome! I can already tell, it'll take me the whole bottle and then some to really detect everything this beer as going on. It follows the nose pretty spot on, but you can really taste the oak here. Also a bit of the hops, which, after a light google search, I can't seem to identify. But they are there to balance out the rest.

Feel: To me, this is very light in carbonation, making it very soft in texture, almost like an extremely thin syrup. The ABV is present enough to give it a bit of heat, but not overbearing at all. Very good.

Overall: My new favorite stout. I'm just getting started in the craft beer arena, and have focused on IPAs and Ales for the last year, but the handful of stouts I've had, all of them great, this one is the new bench mark for me. I can't wait to try the rest that Great Divide has to offer.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company