Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Super dark and syrupy as I pour it into my snifter. Two fingers worth of dark brown head cling to the side of the glass. Retention is great, after 30 seconds the head holds. Lacing on side of glass is intense.

S - Malts, some hops, a touch of sweetness. No alcohol. Subtle smells--nothing knocking me out.

T - Starts out like a nice, thick, malty stout. Gives way to some woodiness and a touch of hops. Ends quite bitter. Never really getting any alcohol. Aftertaste is quite dry and earthy. Really pretty darn nice!

Mouthfeel - Not as syrupy as I'd have thought, although it certainly coats my mouth! Carbonation and some vague spice cuts the smoothness that I get at the start. Hmm.

O - A solid stout. Lots of oak character (hence the name) and plenty of smooth earthiness. Thick, certainly not an intense beer, but the subtle complexities are enough to keep me interested!

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

22oz bomber poured into my Cigar City miniature sifter.

A: Pours a jet black color. Looks like used motor oil.

S: Strong Oak forefront with chocolate and burnt cofee undertones.

T: Hops offset by the oak. A nice pleasant combination.

M: Very refreshing on the palate, carbonation is spot on.

O: Not my favorite RIS, but I would seek it out again.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Always love Great Divide. I think about 50% of my reviews are out of my Great Divide balloon glass. My first great brewery tour was at Great Divide. I have a soft spot for their beers, but it's not like I need one. They're damned good. I saw the Oak Aged Yeti at Central Market today on a failed quest to find Lagunitas Sucks and figured it would be a nice consolation prize. Poured into my Great Divide balloon glass from a big ol' bomber.

This thing pours black as night with a legitimately brown head. Dark, dark, dark. I can't complain.

This thing smells syrupy and bit. Chocolate at the forefront. Roastiness as a complement. I'm not good at picking up specific oakiness at times, but this seems to use the oak as a complement than as a driving flavor. Very nice.

The taste is pretty in line with the nose. The oakiness is a rounding factor and soothes the bite of the hops. Very well balanced between oak and hops. I know that was one of my complaints about the standard Yeti (too harsh), but this seems to have everything under control. It's thick and big, but the hops and oak cut through to make it complex and balanced. The chocolate is the main flavor, but there's somewhat of a Black Albert-like sweetness and finish to it. A very good beer that I'm definitely happy with.

Outstanding overall beer and a great improvement on the original. Another victory for Great Divide.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black with some dark ruby notes around the edge and a dark brown head that stays and laces for days...like a milkshake. A thing of beauty.

Smells of oak up front with chocolate, dark fruit and some grapefruit type hop character, mixed with a smaller roasted character. Hints of vanilla also come in.

Taste is oak/wood up front that gives way to sweet, caramel, chocolatey malt and moves into a smooth, creamy middle, with an almost spicy and fruity hop finish that balances out the sweetness quite nicely. The oak really cuts through on this when fresh, so make sure to age it for a year or so if possible...it is worth it. Not much roasted character to speak of. The finish is sweet coffee/bitter slightly astringent like and lasts for a long time.

Thick, lower carbonation, big body. Really nice body with this one; substantial.

This is an amazing oak aged stout that doesn't get all the love of the super hyped imp stouts, but it should. Two things: this isn't very roasty **though it is roasty to be sure, it is more caramel/chocolate sweet, and it is too heavy on oak when fresh. This beer needs to be aged (when it is, it is divine). I'll do another review at 6 months or a year.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on Oct. 31 2011, 22oz.

A- Thick, oily black. Dense mocha head that rises to two fingers easily and dissipates slowly. Leaves a good lacing.

S- A very nice balanced blend of dry oak, vanilla, and chocolate. A bit of smokey, spicy booze at the end is pleasant rather then off putting, really reminds me a bit of bourbon.

T- Again, very well balanced. The oak is prevalent throughout as a sort of backdrop against which rests dark chocolate, vanilla, and various spices. I do get a pretty decent amount of roasted grain character, but it gets mixed in with the spice and oak characteristics and develops into something different than the usual coffee bitterness. Light alcohol on the finish, well hidden.

M- The mouth is quite fun to play with and possibly the most complex aspect of this beer. Due to the nature of such a thick stout there is a decent amount of viscosity and it is quite chewy, but the influence of oak makes for a very dry and light-feeling finish. The carbonation is tight and unobtrusiveness allowing for a chocolate milk-like creaminess. Messes with the senses - it gives you what you want in a impy stout with some added confusion. I like it.

O- This is a great beer! I can't say it is my favorite imperial stout nor that it is the best variation of Yetis because I have not had them all. It is however very delicious and I can find no faults. I very much enjoy oaked beers, especially stouts and IPAs so I may be biased, but then again this is opinion based.

I say try it!

P.S. as an aside, I would just like to say as many others have already how displeased I am with Great Divide for continuing the use of foil coverings which are the cause of so much rust on the caps of their beers. Every large size bottle from Great Divide I have purchased that has this foil has had a rusty cap. The bottle in review here is barley over a month since bottling and already the cap has rust both on the outside and inside, to the extent that I felt uncomfortable pouring the beer without first having to wipe as much rust as I could from the bottle's lip. PLEASE stop using this foil on your beers, I do not care what it looks like as long as the beer is high quality, which it is, so STOP! Okay, sorry for the diatribe.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%