Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,142 | Reviews: 1,615
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Black body, velvety dark brown head and great lacing

S- Roasted coffee, vanilla and booze

T- Dark chocolate and coffee, oaky in the middle and finishes with sweetness/stickiness

M- Full-bodied, velvety smooth, coats the mouth and some heat from the alcohol

D- Great beer! I could sip on one all night, but the heat brings the thought of another one down just a little.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Served on-tap in a 12-ounce snifter @ the Corner in Litchfield, Conn.

A: Black in color with warm, brown amber highlights shone at the edge of light. A thick, creamy one-finger head of brown foam settles slowly to a bubbly coat, leaving behind fine traces of lacing.

S: Sweet, roasted barley, smoked wood, whiskey and an earthy, herbal hop aroma from deep within the alcoholic whiff at the end.

T: Big doses of sweet, roasted caramel and specialty black malts up front with a very apparent, velvety smooth, vanilla, tobacco oak flavor. Gives way to an earthy blend of licorice, anise and herbal hop bitterness before finishing with a sticky smooth, alcoholic bite, leaving traces of oak barrel behind.

M: Full-bodied, sticky, sweet and a slight alcoholic burn, but its a damn fine sipper and very smooth when approached that way.

D: Just what the doctor ordered to chase the biting cold of early winter away. A big, robust, rich stout with some of the smoothest 9.5% ABV drinkability I can recall. One snifter of this is all you need and splitting a bottle at the holidays with a cigar sounds like heaven to me.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into my Stone IRS glass:

Pours a virtual pitch-black with a thick, creamy head of medium brown hue that left beautiful lacing and a nice, slow retention upon settling. Dark espresso hits the nose first, followed by an earthy hoppiness not often seen in most stouts, oak and chocolatey undertones. The extra oak aging has really taken a good thing and made it even better, highlighting a shared bitterness between coffee/espresso bean and an almost CDA-like hoppiness laid atop light cocoa and alcohol warmth. Thick, oily mouthfeel with more carbonation than most RIS examples I've tried, with a bitter and bold aftertaste. A sipper for many, yet it was relatively easy-drinking for it's size, with the booze providing just enough warmth while mostly taking a backseat to all the other wonderful flavors.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It's about 20 degrees out and I wanted something to warm the soul. I reached for the Oak Aged Yeti almost instinctively.

Poured from a foil wrapped 22 ounce bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass (As an aside, I love when I can drink a beer from a glass from its brewery).

Pours a deep, dark opaque black with about a finger of beige head.

The aroma is full of roasted malts, dark chocolate, a touch of vanilla and a little bit of alcohol. There is also some hops aroma too.

The taste is also dominated by roasted malts with hints of espresso, chocolate and a little bit of booze which adds some depth and warmth to the brew. I'm surprised at the lack of vanilla flavor I'm picking up. Regardless, this is a great tasting Russian Imperial Stout. It's complex and well balanced.

The mouthfeel is full and thick. It's pretty delightful.

This is definitely a sipper and a good one at that. I can't think of a better big bodied beer for a shot of warmth on a cold winter's night.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Opaque in color with the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer. Sticky lacing lines the sides of the glass. OH MAN the smell is inviting. Chocolate Covered Cherries, Vanilla, and Espresso coffee beans. Taste is a rich dark chocolate with some dark roasted coffee and hints of vanilla with citrus and piney hops. All of this flavor meshes into one of the best beers I've ever had. Mouthfeel is full and silky smooth and the 9.5% is masked beautifully. I've had most of the top rated stouts and this one just might be my favorite.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

on tap at the Skep..

tis a black and starry night, with mocha rings around the sky.
Cold, it is boozy and a little roasty with a sweet, long roasted and wooded astringent finish.
After 30 minutes sitting on the bar, lonely and ignored while I engaged in strange conversation, we introduced ourselves. By then, the wood had really come out to play, with the booze stepping back a little in the aroma. The big booze becomes warming on the palate, with hot wood, roasted notes, and some vanilla and chocolate.
I hate being served stouts so cold. It is soo, soo long to wait for them to be tasty.
On tap, this one was pretty good. Just had a 2008 from the bottle and it was outstanding. One of the creatures from the Wood Aged Weekend, though I was certainly in no shape to remember it properly beyond enjoying it thoroughly.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

22oz. bottle date 10/5/2009 poured into my Founders snifter.

Oak Aged Yeti is a lot like Yeti (surprised?). It's strong like my anger at the Chicago Bears after scoring on the Philadelphia Eagles right now while I drink it. But not so strong that the Bears will win (banking on that, don't trust this review if the Bears win).

It's black with a tan head that's almost soapy on the initial pour. Fantastic lacing and great legs. This is how an RIS should look. The smell doesn't have as much roasty malts as the regular style, and I imagine that the oak cuts that while adding an oaky subtlety. What comes out a little bit more are the hops. That happens with the taste too. It's just as big in the mouth, and just as drinkable. The weird finish - a soapiness maybe - that hits me on every Great Divide beer sticks with this one as well, and because there's fewer roasted malts to overwhelm the back of the palate, that feel is more prominent.

Ultimately, I can't really see this being a top RIS for me. Just like I can't see the Bears winning. But it's 14-3 right now, so maybe I'm wrong.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into snifter. bottled date 10/07/2010.

a-Pours thick with dark chocolate color nearly black. Head is a creamy brown color.

s-Chocolate, molasses, alcohol, roasted malt, dark fruit and a touch of anise.

t-The front tastes very Oaky. I'm getting lots of burnt spicy malt throughout. The finish is very smoky and bitter. Much improved taste upon warming. Sweet milk sugars become abundant

m-Very acidic but has a very well distributed carbonation.

d-Quite drinkable for a regular imperial stout consumer.

I remember this beer being more chocolaty and a lot less smoky last year. I'm drawing some spice notes that I can't quite place. Overall this is a very tasty imperial stout.

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A very very dark brown beer, black if you prefer, a tan big head that settles slowly, leaving good lacing.

Dark roasted coffee beans, marzipan, toast, Madeira.

Sweet brown sugar, oatmeal porridge, roasted bread crust, coffee and dark chocolate. Sweet port or Madeira. Coffee beans at the end.

Low carbonation, a huge body, oily and smooth, a finishing dryness.

This is really a great beer, full of flavor and delight.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

A: poured a dark as night black in color with a thin brown head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: intresting that the hop character is pretty noticeable with roastiness, chocolate malts, slight oat grains, and some underlying booze notes. I really didn't detect any oak at all.

T: on the taste I did get roasty smoke flavor alongside chocolate, slight oat grains, bready malts, and maybe a touch of wood but not barrel aged character more like wood chips in the fermenter.

M: the brew was full in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, roasty, smoky, boozy, and slight creamy finish,

D: it drank pretty good but the oak character was not as potent as I thought it would be. The barrel aging process seemed like it didn't make a difference. Like I said it was probably dry hopped with wood chips; still pretty tasty.

Bottled on: Jan-06-2010.

Pours a deep, opaque, almost black color. There is about a fingers worth of caramel colored head. The head falls to a ring that leaves spots of lacing.

I smell vanilla, coffee, chocolate liqueur, and beef jerky. The aromas are a little weak for this style, but good none the less.

The first thing I taste is the chocolate liqueur. There are hints of vanilla, and coffee as well. The flavors are bittersweet. Good but too dam weak.

Medium body...just a hint of carbonation...a little warmth from the alcohol.

Easy sipping beer. I wouldn't turn this down, but I wont seek it out again.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

This is my first review on beer advocate, and I am glad to find an experienced and interesting group of like-minded craft beer lovers.

Poured into a dogfish head beer chalice, I let it sit for about 30 minutes. Appearance is dark brown, about 3 fingers of dark tan head- very exciting to see! On the nose, there is a crazy whiskey aroma- almost peaty. At first sip, there are caramel and brown sugar notes. There is a lot going on with this beer- very complex. Nice thickness as well, what you would expect from a great imperial stout.

Overall drinkability- while this is a big abv beer, it is surprisingly drinkable- the alcohol is very well masked.

I would buy this again for sure....very impressive.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Decided to pick this up tonight, seeing as it's pretty chilly out. I figured a nice stout by the fire would suit the moment.

Bottling date is November 27th, 2009.

Poured out pitch black, which doesn't emit any light through, even when backlit. On top sits a very dark kahki head, which stays around for quite a while. Leaves some remarkable lacing down the side of the glass.

Poured from the Bomber into my clean pint glass. Immediately, the aroma from this beer begins to take over, I'm about a couple feet away from the glass and I can already smell it. Very woodsy, raw vanilla, the hops shine through and i can notice a hint of booze...at 9.5% I would expect so.

Taste - I'm an IPA man myself so, this is only my 2nd venture into the world of stouts. First what hits is the hoppy bitterness, which I love with IPA's, mainly because they're citrus and piney, but this one is straight bitter. Not bad, but not sure if my palate likes it when combined with the chocolate and coffee that come after it. I really like the chocolate and coffee flavors that arrive, with a hint of vanilla. Very nice and pleasant. Makes me think I should have gotten the chocolate oak aged yeti instead, since the label described the hops as being toned down. I'm impressed that it's still this hoppy for being a year old. The more it warms, i've noticed it's a weebit boozy as well, but that can hardly be helped.

Mouthfeel - chewy, thick, full bodied stout. It lets you know it's there and stays around for a while.

Drinkability - We'll see if I'm able to finish this bomber tonight. I have a feeling i'll have to save the other half for the next chilly winter night!

3.46/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First things first. I love Yetis. I love Sasquatch. I love Abominable Snowmen. I love Men of the Wood! I love any and all names, styles and sub-families of Bigfeet. Don't believe me? I recently saw a movie called, 'Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie'. Not enough? I've seen Abominable, Night of the Demon, Harry and the Hendersons, Legend of Boggy Creek, Drawing Flies, The Wildman of the Navidad...yeah. So, what's my point? My point IS (you smarmy jerk!) that the only reason I grabbed this beer is because I LOVE BIGFOOT!

I'm not a very big fan of RIS's, so, do what you will with this review. Hell, I don't even drink coffee. Nevertheless, here's my diagnosis of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout.

Appearance of these beers are always my favorite aspect. Dark as sin with a beige and retaining head. Leaves a nice ringed lace as well.

Smokey coffee. Bold. Strong. Not my strong suit with this beer. I have nasal polyps. It's overwhelming in the roasty coffee area.

Similar to the smell, you get a blast of coffee aroma, but also bits of chocolate, booze and some nice slices of dark fruits. Too bad for me about the coffee.

Smooth, heavy, creamy and kinda boozy. It's nice.

Drinkability revolves entirely around if I want to drink this with one of the next Bigfoot movies I watch.

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

2010 brewing (bottled 10/7/10) poured into tulip glass.
Paid $11/bomber

A: Pours a deep black, so much so that my glass is acting like a mirror, with a nice mocha brown colored head. Head started 2 fingers and quickly reduced to a thin lacing along the top.
S: Really nice. Rich coffee and chocoalte nose.
T: I taste wood, hence the oak I guess. A a deep chocolate flavor. A bit of bitterness
M: Beer does a nice job of coating. It's a little dry, but the flavors do a nice job at hitting all the right spots.
D: This is a nice beer that I feel is bottled just right; a bomber is gonna be about my limit, but I might crave a bit more than a 12oz bottle. I'm interested to see how this travels through time.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz into a Balloon Tulip. Bottled on December 4, 2009 - aged almost one year.

Pours pitch black. A huge tan head erupts from the blackness, forming a picture perfect stout. Lacing on the glass marks each individual sip mark.

Nose is heavy on dark, roasted flavors with a touch of smoke. Very strong aroma.

Taste is heavy on the roasted malts and wood. Heavy bitterness follows the big malt presence, adding depth to this very nice RIS.

Mouth is full and creamy, good for the style.

Drinks like a champ. Complex enough to stay interesting, but restrained enough to be manageable. Great Divide has a winner with the whole Yeti series.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Black as the blackest of stouts with a small mocha head that dissipates into a fine ring of foam that sticks all over the glass; clearly, hops are present.

S - Super strong malts blast you in the face and throw scents of cocoa, coffee, chalk, oak and booze right at you. Savory smell as well, a bit like soy sauce; could be the oak and some of the other scents clashing.

T - Smacks your tongue with strong malts and a blast of bitter hops. The predominant flavors here are chalky malts, oak and a bit of the usual coffee/chocolate/fig combo found in most good stouts.

M - Likes to stick around, leaves a bit of a strange film and that's my only drawback to this brew. Otherwise nice and smooth with a lack of carbonation that I like in this style.

D - Dangerously smooth and tasty. I'd put a way a ton of this, but then I'd be huge!

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pitch black color; no light. Poured a 2 finger chocolate-colored head with excellent retention. Sticky webs of lacing.

S: Big toasted malt; bitter chocolate and coffee. Oak in the background asserting itself more as the beer warmed.

T: Oak and wet wood up front. Bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Smooth and rich. Warming alcohol in the finish.

M: Full body. Low carbonation. Thick, rich and creamy.

D: Flavorful and balanced. Smooth for the style. The abv limits drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance- very dark brown to black with a very unique pitch brown head, no light coming through real nice look

Smell- incredible nose of tons of chocolate, vanilla, espresso, slight hop and tons of roasted malts, really fantastic nose

Taste- wow really good stuff, lots of flavors going on in this tons of roasted malts, slight chocolate notes and plenty espresso and chocolate, really nice hop presence is quite there while this beer is fresh and keeps sweetness quite beautifully in check, really nice balance and long finish on the beer, quite complex and enjoyable, my only complaint if any is at this point the hops are quite powerful but not a bad thing

Mouthfeel- medium bodied and crisp,

Drinkability- quite drinkable and the balance is whats quite impressive on this beer as hops battle malts and make quite nice flavor, very complex and the oak is there though hardly overwhelming in anyway, a good beer would be intrigued to see with age but quite and enjoyable stout

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Poured into my PALM snifter... Pitch black in color with no light coming through when held up to the ceiling. Has a small brown head that with good retention, that leaves some spotted lacing after finally disappearing

S- Very nice aroma... Starts out with some light toasted notes with sweet malt, dark fruits, and strong smell of oak coming through in the backbone

T- Awesome. First thing you taste is the oak... very present from start to finish. Then some sweetness mixed with light notes of chocolate... and a warming booziness that warms your throat. Finishes with a bit of bitterness. Alot going on as the beer warms

M- Nice thick, heavy body with light carbonation

D- Pretty intense... that being said, I don't think I could drink alot of it in one sitting, but it is definitely worth the money and I'm looking forward to trying some of the other Yeti's...

CHEERS!!
M-

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours black, head is huge and a dark brown.

Smell is roasted malt, chocolate. Huge aroma of something I am unfamiliar with that reminds me of alcohol, but maybe it's the oak. Smells sweet.

Taste is heavier on the chocolate than I expected. Alcohol is pretty much undetectable. A tad sweet at first, but as the glass warms it becomes less so. A good RIS, for sure. Flavor is less overwhelming than some others, probably because of the lack of alcohol flavor. Don't really detect any of the hops mentioned on the label, even though this was bottled only a few weeks ago.

Creamy mouthfeel but not too thick.

About as drinkable an RIS as I've had. A tad sweeter than I'd like, but I stop noticing it after a bit.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Oak Aged Yeti pours a very thick and motor-oily liquid forming huge amounts of creamy head (brown-reddish in color) that goes down after about 5 minutes leaving a lot of lacing in the glass. Another perfect pour just like its Yeti siblings.

Aroma starts with roasted/dark malts and lots of chocolate. On a lesser degree I get espresso, vanilla, oak and some alcohol. Not much hop character going on this one. Update: As the beer warmed up the Vanilla notes got way stronger.

Taste starts with bitter chocolate and roasted malts. It soon changes to an overpowering wooden taste (which i perceive as sort of a smoky note). Finish is slightly bitter coming both from roasted malts and hops. The aftertaste is again heavily weighted on that wooden/oak/smoky character which i must say is not my favorite. Later in the aftertaste some bitter chocolate notes rise up again.

Body is heavy and carbonation is very high and IMO it should be way lower on this style of beer. Comparing it to the regular Yeti there is not that wonderful smooth mouthfeel. I found that the oak character to this beer is too overpowering and it brings the drinkability down.

Overall another solid Imperial Stout from the Yeti family. I still think the regular one is the better beer of them all.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Great Divide has made a very reputable name for itself as a master of craft beers pushing out a wide range of hugely flavorful and unique brews. For me though, one stand clearly above all the rest; it is the Oak Aged Yeti. The Yeti is their Imperial Stout sitting at 9.5%. It is a great beer packed with hugely robust roast and cocoa flavors and a sharp espresso bite. But the Oak Aged Yeti is where they truly show their abilities.

The Oak Aged Yeti is literally just that, and oak barrel aged version of the Yeti Imperial Stout. Oak seems to have a good way with big beers, and there are few styles better suited for this wooden home than an imperial stout. Over time the oak mellows and refines the beer slowly adding vanilla and sweet woody character to the beer creating a new and sophisticatedly smooth brew. I have had my fair share of oak aged stouts before, and the Yeti without a doubt stands high on the list in my books.

The Yeti comes in a 650ml bottle, but ha no vintage date - which is my beef with so many big beers. I would LOVE to have a case of these to enjoy slowly over the next 5 to 10 years, and thus I would appreciate a vintage date. Beers this rich and complex will mature and grow overtime creating a new masterpiece each time you open one. I do know though that this bottle is a fresh 2010 vintage.

I opened the Oak Aged Yeti (which I will now just refer to as the Yeti) up at cellar temperature around 14C (57F) and poured it into a snifter. Wow, you should see this thing up close. A thick and silky pour lead to the black ink and rich brown, mocha-like foam you see here. The beer was as dark as it gets, not even hinting at browns or ambers. The head lifted a good 2 inches above the beer and formed the tightest foaming of head I have seen in a long time. Seriously it is tough to even find the bubbles towards the bottom of the head because they are so ridiculously small. Really, you can enlarge that picture... Try and find them. Great job so far guys.

The nose is perfuming at me with huge eruptions of big thick stout flavors. Lush aromas of bittersweet bakers chocolate melt over dark fruits and a deep roast character. Espresso and coffee is softly built into the roast, but also lingers beside a smooth oak finish and easily noticeable vanilla. Hops actually do manage to push them way through the depth of this beer and show up with a citrus and fresh pine aroma akin of a west coast IPA. They are sweet and gently spicy adding a subtle balance to an otherwise hectically rich beer.

Sipping on the Yeti was an amazing treat. This beer is delightful in a too-much-to-handle kind of way. Thick and rich fudgey stout flavors blast onto your palate and bring sticky chocolate pudding, cocoa, roast, vanilla ladened coffee, and smooth oak all the way from tongue to throat. Big malt flavors bring deep and dark dried fruit flavors like candied prunes, plums and dates.

This is what makes this beer so good - its richness far surpasses its strength, but it also does so in an elegantly smooth and perfectly balanced manner. This is definitely a big rich beer, so don't expect balance in subtlety - but rather big flavors balance massive ones. Thick cocoa and malt sweetness is balanced off by smooth roast and the bitter freshness of espresso and coffee. Then gentle hops aromas bring spice and citrus to balance the heaviness of everything.

The hops are actually very apparent in this beast showing pine and citrus as they did in the nose. It helps finish the Yeti cleaner than it would otherwise be. The mouthfeel and the beer's overall texture is just sublime. Smooth and creamy with a silky and oil like sensation from end to end. It reminds me of melted chocolate and smooth gooey caramel.

This is without a doubt a stout lovers dream. It hits all the right notes, and knows exactly how to perform when enjoyed. I would really suggest enjoying this bottle on its own. It would pair beautifully with a tonn of different foods and desserts, but it is a treat itself, and deserves your attention. Enjoy.

Pics at: http://definitionale.com/2010/11/11/tasting-the-great-divide-oak-aged-yeti/

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Plenum for this bottle from an LIF, bottled with the old label so pre summer 2008.

Pours jet black with a half inch of mocha head. Leaves a little bit of lacing down the glass and keeps a little head throughout.

Smells like coffee, caramel, oak and alcohol.

Taste follows smell, very nice oak flavor that compliments everything else. Love the tinge of alcohol in there to add to the complexity. One of my favorite imperial stouts, probably due to age.

Mouthfeel is great, good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good, very inviting. High alcohol burn makes it hard to drink too many of these.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company