Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

at this review there are 379 reviews so far. I'll skip the normal review for today. I had a side by side tasting of this with the regular Yeti. I love oak aged beers and I was really surprised when I found the regular to be my preferred version of this beer.

Looks great, smells amazing, tastes too woody. It hurts to type this. While not trying to cop out, this is one oak aged beer I would love to set aside for a few years and see how the oak character changes over time. My guess is it would be amazing with some time. As it is today, a bit too much of a good thing for me.

01-16-2007 14:50:59 | More by barleywinebrewer
BeerHonky

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

On tap at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY. Served in a small snifter. Very very dark, black, motor oil with about a fingers worth of foamy brown head. Smells of chocolate and alcohol, perhaps some stringent mascherano cherry aroma as well. Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied to the max, but not in a bad way. Lots and lots of wood flavor in this. Almost too much. I did not think this was very well balanced and was VERY over oaked. There are malt and hop flavors in there, but are over powered by the wood. Nice alcohol warming as an imperial stout should have. Don't expect to be able to drink more than one or two of these.

01-16-2007 05:10:03 | More by BeerHonky
Foxman

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours an absolute, light-sucking, cosmic black. Two fingers of cocoa brown silky mousse head settle to a bichromatic froth quilt. Tapestries of lacing edify the inside of the glass.

The aroma grants the earthy sweet char of deep roasted grain spritzed with currants, plum, coffee, chocolate, and leather. A touch of smoky oak joins a lash of floral hop spice and a vent of alcohol.

Upon sipping, the flavor springs open with a burnt sugar malt sweetness, fruity with raisins, dates, dark cherry, and berry. Black coffee and dark chocolate duel with a more strident dry hop citrus note. A bit of soy bite leads to a breathy flow of alcohol. A general but gracious grain sweetness and an oaken earthiness morph as one into a long-lingering crisp bitterness, pleasantly bright and cleansing. It's a grand and blissful batch of black brew.

Full bodied, the slick malt is peppered by points of spice, leaving a crisp glow as a legacy.

I was playing chess and winning when I started this bottle, and fell prey to three checks by the bottom, and I just didn't care. It's big, it's complex, and it's audaciously fun. The ABV is right out front and it might make you miss an en passant or a chance to castle, but it drinks like a Rocky Mountain dream. I ended up in a draw, but Oaked Yeti made me a winner anyway.

01-15-2007 18:27:37 | More by Foxman
wedge

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Pours the ultimate black color with a really thick, frothy tan head. Great creamy stick and solid sheets of lace. Smells like vanilla, light sugary chocolate...the alcohol is nearly whisky-like woodiness. Huge, powerful flavor...holy thick, malty sweetness! Incredibly creamy chocolate, vanilla, and coffee, drying out near the end. It takes quite some time for the flavor to end though, which is nice. Its sweetish, but its an easy-going sweetness. Massively heavy, luscious, rich body. Darker, heavier, and doomier than Black Sabbath.

Massive, complex, and completely awesome. One of the most intense stouts I've come across.

01-14-2007 05:30:13 | More by wedge
dblinkhorn

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pitch, midnight black from the bottle and you can't see a bit of light through the glass even holding it up to a bright light. It has a creamy dark tan head that fairly quickly dissipates to at thin film of lace atop the beer. Moderate lacing is left as you drink this beer.

Smell - Very rich roasted malt up front, as to be expected. Also there are some mild molasses aromas and notes of brown sugar. There are some oaky scents and a hint of smokiness all around the overall aroma. There is only a touch of hop aroma, and you can tell from the smell that it's going to be that engine-oil like hop texture. This beer is definitely a malt-fest.

Taste - Earthy roasted malt right away with an almost overbaked bread-like flavor as well. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla flavors as well. There is a lot of sweetness from the burnt molasses that could be smelled earlier. Lots oily hoppiness to this beer, and it definitely coats your mouth with it as you drink. Strong oak flavors swirl around through the whole flavor. There is mild bitterness and slight earthiness in the aftertaste. A warming, and full-present alcohol is there throughout the taste.

Mouthfeel - Extremely viscous and thick. This stuff rolls around in your mouth like you're drinking engine oil. It is also extremely smooth and has little carbonation...just the way I like my imperial stouts.

Drinkability - This is definitely a strong beer even among imperial stouts. Strong flavors abound with this one. But who cares? It's an imperial stout!

Wow, what a beer. The flavor of this stout is superb, and it has a perfect mouthfeel in my opinion. Also, it gives me goosebumps just looking at it. I've never seen a beer so black while pouring it from the bottle. Screw Mobil 1, I should start pouring this stuff into my engine! In all seriousness, though, if you like strong imperial stouts (I know that sounds repetative, but this one is especially) then you'll love this beer. A must have for lovers of the style.

01-11-2007 07:43:26 | More by dblinkhorn
mmcave

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a nonic, lovely pitch black opaque inky goodness with full thick milk chocolate head. Lacing is lush and abundant. Smells is complex and enticing, excellent mix of subtlety and character in the aroma. There is an intoxicating rich dark chocolate character mixed wonderfully with hints of oaky earthiness, vanilla, and a supple smokiness that is making me tear up. The hops are there but tamed so beautifully by age. The taste is so fucking good; I am having the damnedest time concentrating on the review. Starts with a wonderful rich, dark chocolate mouse character balanced by sweet and mild bitterness and an amazingly satisfying richness on the swallow. Alcohol is not present in the smell or taste, but is there with comforting warmth. I love the moughtfeel on this its so fun to play with it on my tongue before a big swallow that makes you want to die. Nothing in this, not one molecule is overdone or under attended to, an exquisite balance I am so pleasantly surprised. My dog knocked over the last couple of drops of my first glass, for this she will never be forgiven. This is undeniably my favorite Russian Imperial stout and I will be purchasing at least half a dozen more tomorrow. If you like RIS and you haven’t had this for crap sake get it together, you’ll never be the same. Honestly I can’t say enough good words for this I am so happy to have had this.

01-09-2007 01:34:13 | More by mmcave
Georgiabeer

Georgia

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

I really wanted to like this beer, but I think it is seriously overoaked and what is normally a very nice stout has become a mess. Pours black with a thick tan head. Smell is roasty, sour, and with hints of vanilla. Both the sourness and vanilla come in large part from the wood. The taste is all wrong. There are roasty notes, malt, and chocolate struggling to make themselves known, but they are obliterated by the heavy oak flavors. It tastes like there is a shot of anejo tequila in this beer. Heavy vanilla, wood sourness, and cherry flavors from the wood as well as a woody aftertaste make this less than enjoyable for me. Give me the non oak-aged Yeti any day over this. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but still there is that tannic wood in the background cutting against it. Not very drinkable at all, like a beautiful cabernet that someone has oaked all to hell. More restraint on the wood would have added subtle touches of wood and vanilla sweetness and would have been welcome. I'll try another batch in the future and see how it goes.

01-05-2007 18:27:52 | More by Georgiabeer
IntriqKen

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pure black...black as old motor oil topped with a good 2 finger dark tan head that slowly melts to substantial lacing.
Smells like dark chocolate and dark sweet fruits.
Extremely creamy mouthfeel.
Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, dark candied fruits, bourbon, and a bitter hops ending.
Aftertaste of bittersweet chocolate with nothing cloying or sticky about it.
Oak barrel mellows this out wonderfully and adds a slight vanilla dimension.

01-05-2007 04:29:29 | More by IntriqKen
vwcraig

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured a thick black with no chance of light passing through it. Brown colored head fades quickly, almost immediately. No visible carbonation or anything for that matter. Smells of malted milk balls and maybe molasses. Slight woody taste for barrels. Sweet upfront taste changes to a burnt malt taste that hangs around. Slick and oily mouthfeel and easily the thickest beer I've had to date. Drinkability-wise I don't know why all the ratings for this have been so high; I've liked others of this style so much more. Still waiting to try the Stone RIS for comparison. May have to review again.

01-04-2007 03:08:07 | More by vwcraig
BurnsTau

Alabama

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

22 oz bomber.

Wow, I noticed how black this is while I was pouring it. Very deep black with no light showing through, dark head that leaves a good lacing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, so many great things coming through. The taste is just as good. Sweet malts up front with a bit of vanilla, coffee, chocolate flavors all coming through. For a 9.5% beer the alcohol is very well masked. Medium carbonation and a nice heavy body make this a sipping beer, but it's nothing overpowering. Still very drinkable.

I am floored by this stout, it has such big flavors yet is still so drinkable it's scary.

01-03-2007 01:48:59 | More by BurnsTau
51mmz0rz

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Brooding; The darkest head I've ever seen on a beer: Beautiful dark caramel. The beer itself is totally black. Nothing getting through there. Head remains foamy for a long time, and the lacing is very good.

S: Dark malts are almost making me cry here. Sweet, roasty, everything I want. A touch of alcohol let me know this is going to last me all night.

T: One taste makes me slink back down in my chair. Its great. A hint of the oak rides the wave of roasty flavor and crashes onto my palate letting the dark malts take center stage. Eventually these flavors are washed away by that trademark roasty bitterness. You have to try hard if you want to taste the alcohol in this 9.5% brew, which is saying something. It all works together nicely, the end result: me smiling.

M: Not much carbonation, but a smooth mouthfeel and good finish. I find that's it's slightly dry on the back of the tongue, but my salivations seems to negate that pretty quickly.

D: Lingering bitterness isn't much of a problem. For me it's a reminder of what i was doing, that is, drinking this great beer. The alcohol will get me eventually, and is amazingly invisible in the taste until it starts to warm.

Overall this will be a reminder to me how a good beer can elevate my mood. Though tomorrow morning it will probably just be a reminder to always split a bomber with a friend.

01-02-2007 05:24:58 | More by 51mmz0rz
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Oat Aged Yeti was included in a generous Christmas present from my girlfirend. Man am I impressed! It pours black as night, not a bit of light shines through. Smell is deep rich caramel and roasted malts. Taste is amazing. Sweet and carmelly, with plenty of roasty flavor but not burnt or harsh. 9.5% alcohol is extremely well hidden. This beer is a close rival to Storm King as my favorite Imperial Stout.

01-01-2007 00:02:24 | More by ericj551
Budlum

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Pouring this thick stout produces one inch of creamy, brown head. The body is pitch black with absolutely no light passing through. Head retention is very good with a nice layer held through each glass.

The nose of this beer presents a smooth, vanilla and lactose sugar aroma. Roasted barley is noticeable but not quite as strong as the style normally presents. More of the typical stout characteristics appear as it warms. A milk chocolate and faint coffee sense blend with a sherry sweetness for the finish.

A brief chocolate and malt sweetness start this stout. A deep and salty barley flavor blends together with coffee for a strong flavor profile. The oak presence is huge in the finish along with a massive hop flavor. Alcohol is notably strong in the finish as well. This beer seems a little harsh but aging would probably mellow this nicely.

The mouthfeel is creamy but also very dry from the alochol content. The qualities of this beer tend to kill the palate more so than other examples.

Drinkability is good for a beer of this strength but this is definitely a sipping brew. Savor slowly and age one for what should be a wonderful experience.

12-27-2006 23:34:56 | More by Budlum
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Wow ... another hyped beer that has lived up to its legend!

A: B-L-A-C-K baby ... with a nice tan head that runs after the beer as you suck this puppy down. Leaves a nice lace ... again, depending on whether or not I cleaned my glasses properly.

S: A wonderful coffee aroma with hints of malty sweetness.

T: Kick ass. Coffee, vanilla, oak, smoke ... you name it, it's in there! Though there are a myriad of flavors, they all blend together nicely to present an non-overwhelming RIS. I could drink this all day, though I'd be very afraid of the consequences!

MF: Silky smooth with plenty of carbonation ... though not too much to spoil the style.

Overall: As I said, I could drink this all afternoon ... though the hefty ABV would make that quite a challenge. This is an interesting derivation to the RIS style with the oak aging. Believe the hype! You’ve got to try this one for yourself!

12-27-2006 19:20:15 | More by Jaynuze
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

I got this beer from dogfooddog from a trade and this is probably the first European review of this beer. I am anxious to try this beer!

It pours a pitch black beer with some off-white, brownish foam, which disappears very fast. When pouring it into the glass, I was amazed by the high viscosity of the beer, it looks very thick and heavy.

Smell is fantastic, roasted, burned and for sure hoppy and bitter. The oak aging has really added more deep, dark scents and reminds me of oak (off course), vanilla and some smokiness.

Taste is malty, burned and roasted, with liquorice and maltbitter. The hops give the beer a nice bitter and hoppy taste. There is again the vanilla, oak, other woods and smoke in there. The beer is warming of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and drinkability is not high, but that serves the style. The beer is sticky on the lipps.

A fantastic beer, not like anything I have ever tasted! This was my first US RIS and I now I want to try the other ones too!

12-25-2006 11:50:10 | More by Absumaster
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2005 release:

Appearance: Big, sticky, intense obsidian black. Smooth, solid, amber sandstone head with good retention.

Smell: Molasses, spent yeasty soy sauce-like notes, cacao, allspice, brown sugar, and a background of dry, robust, bourbony, vinous, woody oak. Spicy and sweet, quite nice.

Taste: Bitter, pure cacao; tangy oaken wine; mildly smoky, charred malts. Very bitter and aggressive, with a dry, tangy finish.

Mouthfeel: A tad thin for the style, but nice and sticky, lip-smacking, and frothy.

Drinkability: Big, bad, and bold, but that doesn't stop this from being an easy sippin' beer. I had no problems finishing the bomber, but be careful with that ABV... it'll sneak up on you!

12-24-2006 20:51:46 | More by soulgrowl
flexabull

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a thick deep dark black color, nice brown head that receded a bit, then settled down nicely.

Beer smells of vanilla, chocolate, and oak. Very nice nose coming off this one.

Flavors are big and pronounced. What an excellent mouthfeel. A taste of bitter chocolate, some oaky notes, and then a bit of a smack from the alcohol content. Finishes surprisingly crisp, with a touch of hoppy bitterness.

What an excellent stout. I have had some pretty good brews from Great Divide, but this one is very good. I enjoyed it very much, quite drinkable for such a big brew. I want another!

Thank a lot MuenchenerKindl!

12-22-2006 01:49:41 | More by flexabull
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pour jet black, no light can penetrate this, looked like syrup going. Thick brown head that lingered for a while and thick lacing. This looks like a meal! Smell had a suprising hopped ting to it, but the caramel and chocolate malts definatly prevailed. Again smells very full. Taste was sweet dark chocolate right up front. Almost like a milk shake. Very nice dry hop finish. Roasted malt throughout and very sweet and delicous. Was not nearly as thick feeling going down as I thought. This was a wonderful treat and I will seek out more whenever I can. By far the best stout I have drank uoto this point, would recommend this to everybody. Oh yeah and the alcohol was soo well hidden, could not taste a drop of it!

12-17-2006 15:34:12 | More by mikesgroove
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark Brown to Black with good carbonation. The head is very nice, 2 big fingers, Dark Brown and leaves some lace.

The The smell is Big Yeti RIS, with a small oaky aroma that is low key.

The taste is Great! Love that Yeti and with that nice oaky tone cound be even better.

The Mouthfeel is nice but not better. Big RIS body, nice carbonation.

The drinkability is also good, very nice in a style I love. But not the best. I will try more of these it is a great brew. Prosit MK

12-17-2006 05:08:19 | More by MuenchenerKindl
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Serving size is from a 22 ounce bottle. Bottle originally purchased from the brewery in early August. Seems much more appropriate to enjoy this beer now on a cold December night than from the taps at the brewery on a hot muggy August day.
Appearance is very dark with a nice chocolatey head. Smell is chocolate. Taste was wonderful- hint of vanilla, licorce with a lot of chocolate and a woody finish. It was very smooth (fairly low carbonation) and sweet. I didn't think this was hot at all. Alcohol taste is neglible. Nice solid hop presence that has blended in nicely. A fanstastic beer all and all.

12-17-2006 02:23:12 | More by oakbluff
Metalmonk

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Oozes out of the bottle like chocolate magma. Into a Lucifer snifter it goes. Has to be one of the most inviting-looking beers ever, with a toasted brown frothy head atop utterdark blackhole ebony.

Nose is toasted, roasted, sugary, milky, chocolately, with a hint of the 9.5% alcohol lurking. Almost smells like a barleywine, as hops and malts and alcohol are all heading into the red.

Flavor is a wild one. The expected woodiness (from the oak) takes on a kind of acidic smack, in a good way, in a way that maybe doesn't try to hide the alcohol at all. A well-hopped stout, sure, but it's the multitude of things going on in the malt/yeast characteristics that really win out: fruity, lots of vanilla essence, and a sipping-only strength that reminds of stronger spirits like bourbon, brandy or cognac. Some coffee-like bitterness, and a nice little alcohol burst that pushes the flavor up a notch, intensity-wise, while remaining totally balanced and drinkable. No slouch of a beer, Oak Aged Yeti is a perfect complement to sipping on a dark winter's night.

The mouthfeel is velvety smooth, creamy, silky, yet surprisingly not too heavy for a stout of this character. Superb in the mouth, hell yeah.

The higher alcohol content and left-of-center flavors may inhibit its drinkability a little, but it's incredibly enjoyable if you're in the mood for it. A little bit different, hugely warming and satisfying.

12-14-2006 22:44:13 | More by Metalmonk
arizcards

Arizona

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Picked up a 22oz bomber at AJ's Labor Day weekend for $9.99.

Beer poured black as night with a brown well sustained head. Nose has hints of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate-the notes become louder the more it warms up. Taste is awesome, a tasty medley of chocolate malts, coffee, dark fruits, vanilla, and a kick ass hop finish. Mouthfeel is can't be any smoother, this beer glides nicely across my palate. Drinkability is near perfect but falls just short as there is an ever slight hint of alcohol in the aftertaste. This is an awesome imperial stout that is a must try! It is a bit spendy and will be a once a year treat!

Additional notes 11-7-09: Picked up a bomber at Total Wine at the end of August for $8.99. Beautiful pour into the Duvel Tulip, not much residual head left. Nose has hints of expresso and oak. Oak is more prevelant in the taste this time around. Expresso and chocolate is a secondary presence. Nice hop finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not as heavy as hoped. Drinkability is good, the alcohol lingers at the back of each sip - this would benefit from more aging. Great beer - definitely a must try if you are into impy stouts.

12-11-2006 23:19:54 | More by arizcards
tcfishler

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Black with a dark brown, cocoa-tinged head that's not exactly huge but has amazing endurance. Lacing is fantastic also.

Aromas are a bit subdued, focused around subtly roasted malt nicely accented by what I presume to be oak-derived aromas of licorice and vanilla. Gives the expectation of something smooth and creamy.

Delivers on that promise in the mouth, with alcohol entirely hidden but contributing to the rich mouthfeel. Bitterness is hardly apparent at first, and even the roasted character is hardly aggressive. Both of those come around a little on the finish to remind you what kind of beer this is. The vanilla and licorice notes from the nose definitely show up again as flavors.

A fantastic imprerial stout, with an incredibly hedonistic mouthfeel. Not as heavy on the coffee/chocolate notes as other stouts, which makes it even more distinctive.

12-11-2006 16:52:44 | More by tcfishler
barrettds

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance is used motor oil black, with a frothy long lasting head that looks like chocolate milk with a touch of coffee color.

The smell of this brew is exeptionally complex. A true overload, but in a good way. Dark fruit jumps out at me first, then mild notes of chocolate and roast. There are many more scents in the brew that I can't put into words at the moment!

I taste dark chocolate, dark fruits and hops at the first sip. An awesome roasty flavor rolls over the tongue during the swallow and is finished by strong but pleasant alcohol with a fantastic bourbon-ish oak flavor.

Mouthfeel is a welcomed carbonation that is not overwhelming. Smooth and creamy on the way down, a nothing offensive here.

Drinkability is the killer here. I'm feeling a buzz and I'm through half a pint. Very strong beer here, don't consume too quickly!

Overall a great brew! Old Rasputin is my all time favorite stout, and this one might be unseating it... one more glass and we'll see.... HIGHLY recommended!

12-09-2006 21:01:48 | More by barrettds
foureyedgeek

22 oz bottle meets my pint glass.

I've been saving this for the first 'real' snow of the season. We've had flurries, but today it stuck and with more in the forecast for overnight, this is it.

Pours a dark, black-as-night body with a fluffy dark brown head, the color of milk chocolate.

The nose on this is huge and complex. I smell the roasty, coffee, chocolate scents of a stout as well as the bourbon hints from the barrel aging, a whiff of alcohol. Dark fruits come through as well, like plums perhaps.

Wow the taste on this is insane, sooo deeply complex its tough to wrap my head around it. I get the coffee flavor I expect as well as a roasty malty sweetness, coupled with a nice hop presence. Then, wow, here comes the oak aging, flowng over my tongue. Holy moley, it gives this beer a completely different character. Boozy and rich, my taste buds are blown. I'm close to overwhelmed.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with an obvious warming.

Drinkability on this is still up in the air. Its so good and so complex, but I think the alcohol and depth may almost get the best of me. I'll get back on that when I can.
---
Edit: The Morning-after Report
My wife commented multiple times throughout the course of the evening how strong this beer smelled. This is a powerful beer, so much so that I nodded off before finishing the 2nd glass. Not sure where that places drinkability, but this is seems to me like a good beer to split with a friend or to nurse from afternoon to night.

12-08-2006 02:04:22 | More by foureyedgeek