Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Yes, it's black. Just like it should be. Three finger head of thick, coffee colored foam. Retention is great and lacing is clumpy and sticky.

Big roasted malt presence. Notes of leather and smoke. Nice coffee hints. Brown sugar, molasses and a touch of licorice.

Taste totally follows the nose, on this one. All that I can add is that the alcohol is extremely well-hidden and that this is one rich, decadent freakin' beer.

Very nice full bodied brew, here. Thick and creamy, with a touch of oiliness. The mild carbonation level helps this one remain smooth and enjoyable.

This was made for sipping on, maybe a bottle or three, over the course of a night. Totally drinkable. Tasty as hell.

2.07/5  rDev -51.4%

This is one of the most disappointing brews I have so far in my life. I LOVE Russian Imperial Stouts, but this is something that is not good, in my opinion. The reviews were high, the trade came in, and beer poured beautiful, the taste sucked.

The appearance is amazing. It pours a beautiful dark brown that comes into a great black that no light comes through. The head is beautiful, comes up to a dark brown frothy head that leaves a disgustingly fat sticky lace on the side. Really a beautiful looking brew.

The smell is where it started turning for the worst. The smell is that of metal, or aluminum. Better yet, stick your hands into a jar of coins and mix it around a little. Then smell your hand, that is what this brew smells like. The hops pop out with this smell with a liquor smell. The liquor smell is something that I was looking forward to in the taste, you can smell an earthy smell also that took me by surprise. The liquor taste is whiskey, something that I can take, but if it is done right.

The taste is by far the worst part of this beer. I had to drink like five drinks to confirm that it was not good. I thought that maybe I sipped it wrong the first two times. I honestly could not believe my taste buds, I still don't. It was gnarly, like a aluminum-whiskey-sour-hop taste that was not good. I actually am saving the other half of the bottle for a buddy who's opinion I somewhat respect on beer. I need to see if he likes it or not because I feel like I might be going crazy. It would be a drainpour if I didn't give the rest away. It has a whiskey hop taste that makes me do a sour baby face. This has some undertones of chocolate and coffee and some vanilla. It just does not taste good at all.

The mouthfeel is a really carbonated and hoppy RIS. I have to stop reviewing this just for the fact I am so saddened how bad it was. The look was beautiful! The taste suffers. I would never buy this ever again. What an interesting experience. Overall not good, I feel like I have to say sorry.

Sorry
J

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Midnight black with a voluminous hot cocoa head. Head retention is very good and patches of lace are left behind.

S: Smells like a chocolate pine forest, with the pine winning out. Hop aromas dominate with a heavy pine scent, bakers chocolate is in the back doing its best to break free.

T: Again, the hops dominate. After an initial hit of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla, bitterness bursts onto the scene with heavy pine and grapefruit flavors. The chocolate rides through the experience if you actively search for it. Finishes dry, with a lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Heavy body feels oily and slick. Carbonation is on the high side.

D: My sample was bottled in Dec of '08, and its youth showed. It was a rather rough around the edges RIS. But even in its youth, this beer was quite tasty. I'm hoping that cellaring a bottle for a year or so will lead to a beer that's a touch smoother.

Note: I recapped the bottle after drinking half. The carbonation loss over night actually resulted in a smoother experience. Perhaps next time, I need to let the bottle breath for a bit before I pour.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

The head is a deep caramel chocolate color that with good retention. The body is Black as Night no light gets through this beast. Smell is of Oak goodness, sweet chocolate, dark deep roasted barley, and coffee aromas. The taste is Oaky sweet with chocolate and caramel, creamy coffee overtones. Mouth feel is full and rich. Wow this is a complex beer with a lot flavors just bouncing around. Hops balance this beer is nicely, with over 9.5% ABV the alcohol is less notable than you would think it just slides through in the middle of the pull. You do get that hop finish at the back of your tongue. My overall impression of this beast is it's an incredibly big beer that tastes great if you are a fan of oak aged beers like me you will enjoy this beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

This a big beer purchased at table and vine in west springfield ma.

A- a dark brown pour the settles to a pitch black. Huge brown head.

S- big roasted malts with some oak and wiskey sweetness

T- Big malt with burned roasted flavor. slight alchol burn in the finish. Roasted flavor is slightly overdone even for the style.

M- balanced right for the style with just enough carbination.

D- the roasted malt flavor stated above hurts the drinkablity of this beer. Do not get me wrong it is a very good beer but a bit overdone.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

On tap at Sunset Grill and Tap (13oz tulip)

Very good but overrated. The oak flavor manifests itself in the form of both genuine, slightly sour, pervasive oakiness, but there's a slight chemical tinge most apparent in the nose that's probably from the beer being aged with oak chips and not in actual oak barrels. This beer, though, develops the molasses/prune area of the RIS flavor profile better than most. Obviously very malty. Very smooth. A beer that shouts "Important Beer" -- almost as good as it thinks it is.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bomber to tulip.

A: Pours black letting no light through. One-finger reddish brown head with decent retention becoming a bit clumpy. Ends up leaving some lacing

S: Strong molasses scent accompanied by sweet malts, toffee, and sweet chocolate with traces of what I assume is the oak barrel. There's only a small hint of alcohol.

T&M: Roasted malts up-front that turn into strong bitter-sweet chocolate with hints of oak. A small amount of hops. A small bitter coffee finish that lingers along with the chocolate in the aftertaste. Pretty well carbonated and very smooth and slightly oily. The alcohol kicks in pretty early which is the only thing keeping this beer from a 5 for taste.

Overall: Very good, I wasn't expecting the flavor to be as impressive as it was. I found it pretty drinkable for the alcohol and gravity. Pick this one up for sure, I think I'll be grabbing another, at about $7.50 it's hands down worth it.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewed on 12/14/08

Poured into a pint glass. Black, 1 finger head. Pitch black body that you couldn't see through even when held to the light. A thing of beauty.

Smell was of coffee and roasted malts. Nice oak aroma and a mild bitterness.

Taste had a nice amount of oak flavor in it. Good amount of coffee and dark roasted malts. Mild bitterness in the finish. Hints of vanilla and overall a moderate sweetness.

Mouthfeel was thick and oily. Moderately carbonated.

Drinkability is fair. Thick body. Although the brew itself hides the alcohol pretty well, the beer still carries a strong imperial presence.

Overall this was a very taste imperial stout. The oak adds a great touch to an already fantastic stout.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a black color with a tan two finger head that stays for a long time. Sticky lacing sticks to the side of my glass throughout the beer.

Smells of dark swiss chocolate, leather, roasted coffee, vanilla, smoked wood chips.

Taste of roasted burnt malts, plums, toffe.

Medium body with slight carbonation. Thick and creamy.

One of these will do me good due to its thick body.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured out an imperial black with a grainy looking brown head. good retention and lacing.

smells roasty paired with a sweetness. vanilla sweet or maybe fruit sweet. a touch of bread or dough on the nose as well...

woah, huge flavor bite on my clean palate. smooth roasted flavors with a touch of sweetness. it almost starts off mild then the alcohol rushes through bringing a touch of vanilla along with the dark roasted flavors. oak definetly comes through.

rather smooth toward the back of the palate. some wood-type flavors/textures. hard to explain. alcohol is there.

very nice.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Black with ruby highlights and a creamy brown head with strings of lace.

S - Roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, sweet vanilla, fudge, hops and oak as it warms.

T - Musty, earthy wood, rich dark chocolate, burnt malts, bitter hops and some smokiness.

M - Medium body, creamy with a lingering dry finish.

D - The oak really builds in this one as it warms becoming smokey and almost like sucking on smoked wood chips.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

I poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter, and got a completely opaque black brew with a nice sized tan head; creamy with good retention. Reminded me of the appearance of a DFH WW Stout, only with a much better head.

My wife said she could smell this beer from across the room. It definitely has a presence, promising an oak flavor well in advance of actually tasting it. There is also alcohol in the air.

The taste experience is very full and complex. The woody flavor is very pronounced, along with heat from the alcohol, but there is also a distinct flavor of hops that was not noticed until actually tasting the brew. It finishes dry, making for a very rewarding experience.

Going into a second pour from the bottle, as I grew desensitized to the intial woody and alcohol flavors, I noticed an increased caramel flavor to the beer, making it seem more drinkable. This does make me wonder if I would like the beer better with a little less oak.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bomber

A: Poured into a globe. Black as tar; light will not penetrate this beer. A rather pleasant, though thin, dark tan head forms and never seems to leave. Looks very thick.

S: Sweet malts upfront, with prominent hoppy notes. Very pleasant. Almost port-like, as the alcohol is quite noticable.

T: Mmm...oaky. More grain in the flavour than in the nose. Candy-like. Delicious. Sweet, and a little bitter. Actually, it reminds me a little of a barleywine in its malt-hop balance. The alcohol isn't so prominent as it was in the aroma.

M: Very thick, though not syrupy. It coats my mouth in a way similar to whole milk. Definitely not thin, and not low in alcohol.

D: I could drink two or three bombers of this if it weren't so high in alcohol. It's a delicious brew.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

To say this is one of the darkest beers I've ever encountered would be an understatement; this is a black hole, light can't escape through. I don't even have to lean in to experience the aroma, it's intoxicating from a foot away. Smooth chocolate mousse with whip cream on top, creamy and decadent to the point where I don't want to drink it and make it disappear. Vivid in taste, chocolate cream pouring from oak bark, touches of sweet vanilla that gives way to slight hop finish which creates a fantastic transition of flavors. This brew has a bourbon feel to it from the oak with a thick but smooth body. So delicious that this could be a dessert nightcap but so decadent that I could go searching for the Yeti as soon as the sun rises.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Thick dark tar. Sticky lacing, cinnamon head, dissapating head under a hell-of-aroma. Ok, usual cold dark chocolate...but then boom, graham crackers, cocoa malt, marshmellow, smores. Flamboyant scent retains. Wood upon taste; the note that is. Oak hits, and heavy dark oak, grandpa whiskey style. So mature, more subtely complex then expected. Reserved flavors that have settled and softened their edges. A pitfull of burnt grain, covered up by boozey, chocolate roast. Makes my tongue sweat a bit. Its powerful, worthy of slow sips and thoughts underneath its surface. Black wine.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz bomber into pint glass.

A: Dark as midnight with a solid inch-high golden brown head.

S: Holy cow. Roasted coffee, some fruit smell (cherries? raspberries?).

T: Delicious. That mocha/coffee undertone with complex malty flavors, the sweetness from beginning to end, adds up to a solid imperial stout.

MF: Substantial, bread just out of the oven chewiness.

D: I took it slow, but I could have kept drinking it. Would like to try a good meal pairing. It's substantial enough to stand alone of course, but it seems like the flavors would complement an aged steak very well.

A wonderful beer for wintertime (or anytime).

22 oz bomber I picked up over a year ago and has been sitting in the cellar forgotten. Well I tracked it down, cooled it of a bit and served it up in a snifter. Lets give it a go.

A: Pours a seemingly thick, viscous pour that is a deep black. Held to light, it lets zero light through. A pretty vigorous pour put up a finger of dark brown head. The head diminishes quickly, down to a ring. Said ring leaves a nice coating on the glass in the form of a lacing sheet. Not bad looking at all.

S: Smell is first and foremost of some big time, boozy, oak aromas coming out. Then a nice wave of chocolate and vanilla comes out as well. There is a little bit of hops bite in the nose coming out too.

T: Taste is of some big time oaky goodness. The oak translates really well. Don't drink this too cold though. Took a sip overchilled and it as just a green oaky, boozy mess. As it warms, the flavors mellow. Heavily roasted malts have a bit of bitterness to them. The whiskey flavors are nice when they brush up against the chocolate and vanilla that is going on in here. Slight hops presence in the background. Pretty solid but something is a bit off putting.

M: Full bodied brew that has a pretty viscous feel to it. Pretty thick and chewy, and it sure as hell coats. The smell and flavor makes it seem there would be a lot of of alcohol burn, but there is not much going on. Carbonation is light, but enough.

D: This brew is not bad at all. I don't know if I enjoyed it more than the regular offering or not. I need to do a side by side. This beer is solid in all departments though. I enjoyed it but it left me a bit confused at times.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

For the life of me I can't get a head to form atop this beer. Oh well... Rich dark chocolate brown in color and just shy of syrupy.. Can't see in it, can't see through it.... Glossy dark brown. No lacing...

Sweet aroma and also clearly of some oak.. The woody nature is deep and inviting. Reminds me a bit of a glass of bourbon when there is not much left and some of the ice has started to melt a bit.. Perhaps a cappuccino....sweet coffee vs. coffee grounds or dark roasted coffee..
I find the flavor here to be totally consistent front to back and in an very interesting way.. Smooth and very enjoyable. Nice balance between some sweetness and the oak notes which clearly meld nicely with the dark hop notes and deep roasted malt flavors. I threw this in my snifter about 45 minutes ago and have been slowly enjoying ever since...still finishes a little dry after all that flavor. Really good.

Silky smooth and lighter in body that I expected... Almost no carbonation... very drinkable and I really enjoy this one..

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an oil slick black giving way to an aggressive, tight, deep tan head about two fingers deep which sticks around for quite some time leaving a snail like trail of lacing all over the glass.

An extremely assorted aroma sample wafts from the glass including the chocolate malt, vanilla, coffee, and hop bitterness at the end. Also milk and roasted malt, but again returning to hops at the end, this is amazing! I am at least a foot away and am still getting various aroma notes.

The flavor offerings are just as diverse as the aromas with a chocolate/coffee start giving way to a very earthy hop bitterness, all roasted, and just a hint of underlying deep sweetness.

The yeti is full bodied, creamy, and chewy, dare I call it just as hairy as its namesake. I think I can actually picture the beast himself drinking it in the middle of Wisconsin!

This is a GREAT beer, drinking on one of the coldest nights CT has seen in a while, this would keep even a shaven yeti warm. This Oak Aged Imperial Stout has tons to offer all of the senses and one I will re-visit over and over.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours thick, darkest of dark brown. A one finger chocolate-brown head bubbled up, and subsided slowly, leaving a blanket of lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted malts, and alcohol. The 9.5% APV definitely comes through in the smell. As it warms, vanilla notes begin to come through.

Taste: Coffee is the first taste, along with the roasted malts. A bitter, almost strong hoppy bite right away intermingled with the coffee. Subsides to a creamy finish and a slightly bitter aftertaste. The oak aging is definitely evident, and adds a nice kick to the beer. Alcohol is definitely present in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick, but a little too highly carbonated. The carbonation made it feel like I was drinking a soda.

Drinkability: A solid, very good Imperial Stout. It's not my favorite, but I'd probably get it again. Definitely a sipper, and becomes so much more complex as it warms.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A- Dark as dark can be. Looked like oil sitting in a glass. No head, except for the thin layer that formed a ring around the glass. This especially caught my eye because I thought it would be tan or brownish in color. Instead it was as white as snow.

S- Rather pleasant aroma. Malts and fresh roasted coffee beans a plenty. Also detected oak, vanilla scents as well.

T- Bitter chocolate and malts are the first thing noticed. I was a little disappointed in that I was getting much of the vanilla flavors from the oak as I did in the scent. However, I did like how the oak and bitter chocolates somewhat masked the harsher roasted coffee bean flavor.

M- Thick and viscous. Some carbonation.

D- Goes down extremely smooth for a RIS. Just wish there more flavors involved to put this over the top.

Overall, a great RIS. Really looking forward to aging my other bottles to see how it progresses over time.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

A- This is perhaps the blackest, thickest beer I have ever seen. I've had more than my share of imperial stouts, but this one is darker than what comes out of the oil pan on my 30 year old diesel sedan. It's intense, almost intimidating. Not a hint of light comes through. The head is very dark brown and quick to dissipate. Some lacing on the glass.

S- A faint suggestion of dark cherries, burnt toast, chocolate syrup, caramel

T- Whoa, there's a lot of oak here. It hits the tongue right away, surrounded by chocolate, molasses, and vanilla. The finish is all bitterness, apparently from intense hopping, bitter chocolate malts, and woody tannins. A big dash of alcohol too.

M- Creamy, viscous, thick. Decent, subdued carbonation.

D- This beer is delicious and very intense. Kind of like a big, dark cigar: it tastes great, but the idea of finishing the whole thing is almost hard to fathom. We'll see how much of this bottle I can get through, but right now I wish this came in a 12oz.

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

pours out of the 22 oz bomber an opaque chocolate brown colour with a big, frothy matching coloured head. looks magnificent with all the clinging lace on the glass. aroma of chocolate, nuts, oak, vanilla, dark roasted malts and a subdued hoppiness that lets the maltiness come forth appropriately. the taste is a different story however, with a plentiful sprucy hop flavour dueling with the abundant charred cherry maltiness. what comes in between them though is an oaken vanilla note that plays peacemaker and melds all the flavours beautifully. after a moment of serenity, there is the hot alcohol burn to be dealt with, and a blistering bitterness that wants to break the peace. somehow all the characteristics of this RIS seem to find a way to get along and achieve a seminal equilibrium that provides glory for all involved. it can be definitely said that the "oak aged" version of Yeti is a different beast than the original version. needless to say, the body of this creature is big and full of muscle, with a mouthfeel that starts velvety smooth and ends a bit bitter with a boozy burn. sippability is contagious on a bitterly cold nite in january in the red river valley. this beer will leave you with a large foot print in your belly and on you brain. and i wouldn't want it any other way.

definitely recommended. a winter time classic in my book and one that would even mature with a little age. get some now to drink fresh and stash some bottles to cellar.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

I've loved this for a long time and am finally getting around to reviewing it

A - pours incredibly dark brown with a lovely chocolate head. It's like some wondrous milkshake with bubbles or something

S - freakin' reeks of flavor. Roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla notes from the oak, caramel, hints of coffee, plum and fig, and piny, citrusy hops all assault your nasal passages. This thing is intense!

T - a fair bit of hoppiness in this monster; the pine & citrus shine through a lot. Still, the RIS factors listed above are there. The dark chocolate and coffee flavors from the roasted malt really hold their own and show up nicely in the aftertaste. The other aromas in the nose are all readily identifiable as well. ABV is much more prevalent in the taste for me than in the nose

M - man, this thing is solid. Also, fairly creamy & smooth. Goes down quite well

D - OAY is a total classic. This is the perfect example of what a monster decadent RIS can be. For being so strong, it hides the ABV fairly well, although the solidity of the body & ABV do limit drinkability somewhat. I've loved this beer for several years now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If you somehow haven't had this, it can't be recommended highly enough. Word up.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a pint glass, beautifully dark with 3/4 inch of creamy head that quickly dissipates leaving a lacing around the glass. The nose is bitter, coffee, and alcoholic. Feels smooth and full bodied but not quite creamy. Starts out with a bitter coffee taste before you feel the warmth of the alcohol, and finishes with roasted to almost burnt (but not in a bad way) taste.

I would certainly buy this again but not my favorite American Imperial Stout.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company