Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz bomber bottle in a pint glass.

Poured like motor oil, or molasses. Almost no carbonation apparent, a tiny ring of creamy foam appeared around the edge of the glass. Looks pretty scary.

Quite a bit of hop aroma, which is surprising to me. Never had a really hoppy stout before. This is definitely no guinness.

The taste is insane. There is so much going on here, it's hard to know where to begin. A significant hop presence, an odd creamy grapefuit taste, some roastiness, a faint vanilla note, and then a bitter finish. The transitions between flavors are quite confusing.

Pretty low carbonation, as expected, and fairly thick, but the bitterness allows it to finish cleanly without any sticky residue.

Not bad, overall, but at 9.5%, one is all I'd want at a time. Interesting, but I don't know if I'd buy it again.

Torchiest, Feb 05, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a tall 20oz. mug. Almost completely opaque black color with a thick dark brown head; beautiful beer. Aroma was everything I remember from the last time I had this beer. I have long considered this one of my absolute favorite beers. The price is the only thing keeping me from enjoying it more often. The taste was just as good if not better than I remember it. Deep undertones of both very dark chocolate and strong espresso, neither of which are too overpowering, just almost perfectly delicious. The alcohol in the mouthfeel is almost nonnoticable. This is without question one of my favorite beers, especially in the winter. Perfect for any special occasion.

atsprings, Feb 04, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark opaque black color. Nice one finger dark brown head. I love the color of the head on this beer. Lots of spotty lacing

Sweet roasted malts on the nose. Espresso and dry cocoa with some salt water. Hints of vanilla in the finish as well as alcohol.

The taste is full of bitter sweet cocoa and roasted sweet malts. Deep espresso flavors and a nice bitter hop finish. The oak is evident in the finish and seems to smooth out some of the sweetness that Yeti usually has. You can really notice the vanilla in the oak in the background. The oak flavors help balance out some of the sweetness as well.

Very full bodied. Goes down very smooth, but you'll want to sip this one to really appreciate all of the complexities. Quite drinkable, a real treat in the evening to sip and relax with. The oak notes in the finish really add a layer of sophistication to this already amazing brew.

Ieatlambfries, Feb 02, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Black as night, letting no light pass through. Medium brown head, very fluffy with large bubbles. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet chocolate aroma with hints of dark fruitiness and everything is very bready.

T - Lets see here...rich milk chocolates, raisiny fruits, some coffee, bready malts, and finally a faint cinnamon spice. Aftertaste is a powdery milk chocolate.

M - Very filling, smooth and slightly chalky.

D - Little more could be asked from an RIS. One of the finest stouts you can get in my area and for only 5 bucks a bomber (cheapest I've seen it), this shit rocks.

umustdrink, Jan 30, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a almost totally black color with massive tannish head.
Smell is of roasted malt with a strong whiskey-like background
Taste is very non-impressive. Austerely dry with strong alcohol notes. Taste is also somewhat medicinal.
Leaves a strong alcohol, whisky, medicinal taste in the mouth.
I am not a whiskey fan, and this beer was totally disapponting to me. It was difficult to fininsh half a glass.

tgbljb, Jan 28, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Bomber poured into a chalice it forms a meaty brown head that is frothy and leaves sticky lace. Solid black jones.

Wow. First impression was "how can I get my hands on more of this SOON!!". Its an in your face brew with incredible depth and character. Oak aging an Imperial stout is a perfect match. I think it gives it the added balancer that it needs. Nice charred malt type base is challenged by a huge oaked mcgillicutty and then tempered by a nice bitter edge from the hop,charred combo. Carbonation is perfect, sharp enough to crispen it up just a bit and then its gone. Aftertaste rolls back to the charred malts and a bit of coffee.

Notes: Damn, I'm really becoming an Imperial stout mark, I'm seeing a trend. This has to be one of the best I've had to date. Some of the Oak aged brews I've had I felt they were misguided or sometimes it just didn't fit or improve the brew. This is the polar opposite of that generalization. Oak good. Yeti good.

DogFood11, Jan 27, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a Reaper ale pint glass. Black. Brown head, tight bubbles, lacing.

Big whiff of oak. Also cherries, tobacco, coffee, banana, nuts. Lots of subtle aromas under the heavier oak cloak.

First thing that struck my on my first sip was whiskey. second sip I definately picked up more on the chocolate and coffee tones. This thing is complex, and tasty. Great nightcapper material. Quality.

ReebShorts, Jan 19, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured into snifter.

Pours jet black with a tan head that descends to a lasting patch, leaving some lacing along the glass.

The smell is of sweet dark, slightly roasted, malt - chocolate with some coffee. Sark fruitiness and and a hint of vanilla also present.

The taste is of sweet malt - dark chocolate mixed with lightly roasted coffee beans. Subtle vanilla notes intermingle. Dark, cherry fruitiness almost make it seem like chocolate covered cherries with certain sips. A noticeable, but not assertive, toasty hop bitterness keeps the sweetness in check. The alcohol is well-hidden until the finish, when it gives a sharp, warming kick. Rich flavors hang on in aftertaste.

The feel is creamy, rich and smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation keeps it full, but not overly thick.

A great "sip and savor". Rich, full and fairly complex. Sweet malt with a pleasantly surprising amount of hops to give it a nice balancing character. A truly nice RIS.

jwc215, Jan 17, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

at this review there are 379 reviews so far. I'll skip the normal review for today. I had a side by side tasting of this with the regular Yeti. I love oak aged beers and I was really surprised when I found the regular to be my preferred version of this beer.

Looks great, smells amazing, tastes too woody. It hurts to type this. While not trying to cop out, this is one oak aged beer I would love to set aside for a few years and see how the oak character changes over time. My guess is it would be amazing with some time. As it is today, a bit too much of a good thing for me.

barleywinebrewer, Jan 16, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

On tap at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY. Served in a small snifter. Very very dark, black, motor oil with about a fingers worth of foamy brown head. Smells of chocolate and alcohol, perhaps some stringent mascherano cherry aroma as well. Super smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied to the max, but not in a bad way. Lots and lots of wood flavor in this. Almost too much. I did not think this was very well balanced and was VERY over oaked. There are malt and hop flavors in there, but are over powered by the wood. Nice alcohol warming as an imperial stout should have. Don't expect to be able to drink more than one or two of these.

BeerHonky, Jan 16, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours an absolute, light-sucking, cosmic black. Two fingers of cocoa brown silky mousse head settle to a bichromatic froth quilt. Tapestries of lacing edify the inside of the glass.

The aroma grants the earthy sweet char of deep roasted grain spritzed with currants, plum, coffee, chocolate, and leather. A touch of smoky oak joins a lash of floral hop spice and a vent of alcohol.

Upon sipping, the flavor springs open with a burnt sugar malt sweetness, fruity with raisins, dates, dark cherry, and berry. Black coffee and dark chocolate duel with a more strident dry hop citrus note. A bit of soy bite leads to a breathy flow of alcohol. A general but gracious grain sweetness and an oaken earthiness morph as one into a long-lingering crisp bitterness, pleasantly bright and cleansing. It's a grand and blissful batch of black brew.

Full bodied, the slick malt is peppered by points of spice, leaving a crisp glow as a legacy.

I was playing chess and winning when I started this bottle, and fell prey to three checks by the bottom, and I just didn't care. It's big, it's complex, and it's audaciously fun. The ABV is right out front and it might make you miss an en passant or a chance to castle, but it drinks like a Rocky Mountain dream. I ended up in a draw, but Oaked Yeti made me a winner anyway.

Foxman, Jan 15, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +8%

Pours the ultimate black color with a really thick, frothy tan head. Great creamy stick and solid sheets of lace. Smells like vanilla, light sugary chocolate...the alcohol is nearly whisky-like woodiness. Huge, powerful flavor...holy thick, malty sweetness! Incredibly creamy chocolate, vanilla, and coffee, drying out near the end. It takes quite some time for the flavor to end though, which is nice. Its sweetish, but its an easy-going sweetness. Massively heavy, luscious, rich body. Darker, heavier, and doomier than Black Sabbath.

Massive, complex, and completely awesome. One of the most intense stouts I've come across.

wedge, Jan 14, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pitch, midnight black from the bottle and you can't see a bit of light through the glass even holding it up to a bright light. It has a creamy dark tan head that fairly quickly dissipates to at thin film of lace atop the beer. Moderate lacing is left as you drink this beer.

Smell - Very rich roasted malt up front, as to be expected. Also there are some mild molasses aromas and notes of brown sugar. There are some oaky scents and a hint of smokiness all around the overall aroma. There is only a touch of hop aroma, and you can tell from the smell that it's going to be that engine-oil like hop texture. This beer is definitely a malt-fest.

Taste - Earthy roasted malt right away with an almost overbaked bread-like flavor as well. Lots of coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla flavors as well. There is a lot of sweetness from the burnt molasses that could be smelled earlier. Lots oily hoppiness to this beer, and it definitely coats your mouth with it as you drink. Strong oak flavors swirl around through the whole flavor. There is mild bitterness and slight earthiness in the aftertaste. A warming, and full-present alcohol is there throughout the taste.

Mouthfeel - Extremely viscous and thick. This stuff rolls around in your mouth like you're drinking engine oil. It is also extremely smooth and has little carbonation...just the way I like my imperial stouts.

Drinkability - This is definitely a strong beer even among imperial stouts. Strong flavors abound with this one. But who cares? It's an imperial stout!

Wow, what a beer. The flavor of this stout is superb, and it has a perfect mouthfeel in my opinion. Also, it gives me goosebumps just looking at it. I've never seen a beer so black while pouring it from the bottle. Screw Mobil 1, I should start pouring this stuff into my engine! In all seriousness, though, if you like strong imperial stouts (I know that sounds repetative, but this one is especially) then you'll love this beer. A must have for lovers of the style.

dblinkhorn, Jan 11, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a nonic, lovely pitch black opaque inky goodness with full thick milk chocolate head. Lacing is lush and abundant. Smells is complex and enticing, excellent mix of subtlety and character in the aroma. There is an intoxicating rich dark chocolate character mixed wonderfully with hints of oaky earthiness, vanilla, and a supple smokiness that is making me tear up. The hops are there but tamed so beautifully by age. The taste is so fucking good; I am having the damnedest time concentrating on the review. Starts with a wonderful rich, dark chocolate mouse character balanced by sweet and mild bitterness and an amazingly satisfying richness on the swallow. Alcohol is not present in the smell or taste, but is there with comforting warmth. I love the moughtfeel on this its so fun to play with it on my tongue before a big swallow that makes you want to die. Nothing in this, not one molecule is overdone or under attended to, an exquisite balance I am so pleasantly surprised. My dog knocked over the last couple of drops of my first glass, for this she will never be forgiven. This is undeniably my favorite Russian Imperial stout and I will be purchasing at least half a dozen more tomorrow. If you like RIS and you haven’t had this for crap sake get it together, you’ll never be the same. Honestly I can’t say enough good words for this I am so happy to have had this.

mmcave, Jan 09, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

I really wanted to like this beer, but I think it is seriously overoaked and what is normally a very nice stout has become a mess. Pours black with a thick tan head. Smell is roasty, sour, and with hints of vanilla. Both the sourness and vanilla come in large part from the wood. The taste is all wrong. There are roasty notes, malt, and chocolate struggling to make themselves known, but they are obliterated by the heavy oak flavors. It tastes like there is a shot of anejo tequila in this beer. Heavy vanilla, wood sourness, and cherry flavors from the wood as well as a woody aftertaste make this less than enjoyable for me. Give me the non oak-aged Yeti any day over this. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but still there is that tannic wood in the background cutting against it. Not very drinkable at all, like a beautiful cabernet that someone has oaked all to hell. More restraint on the wood would have added subtle touches of wood and vanilla sweetness and would have been welcome. I'll try another batch in the future and see how it goes.

Georgiabeer, Jan 05, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pure black...black as old motor oil topped with a good 2 finger dark tan head that slowly melts to substantial lacing.
Smells like dark chocolate and dark sweet fruits.
Extremely creamy mouthfeel.
Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, dark candied fruits, bourbon, and a bitter hops ending.
Aftertaste of bittersweet chocolate with nothing cloying or sticky about it.
Oak barrel mellows this out wonderfully and adds a slight vanilla dimension.

IntriqKen, Jan 05, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured a thick black with no chance of light passing through it. Brown colored head fades quickly, almost immediately. No visible carbonation or anything for that matter. Smells of malted milk balls and maybe molasses. Slight woody taste for barrels. Sweet upfront taste changes to a burnt malt taste that hangs around. Slick and oily mouthfeel and easily the thickest beer I've had to date. Drinkability-wise I don't know why all the ratings for this have been so high; I've liked others of this style so much more. Still waiting to try the Stone RIS for comparison. May have to review again.

vwcraig, Jan 04, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

22 oz bomber.

Wow, I noticed how black this is while I was pouring it. Very deep black with no light showing through, dark head that leaves a good lacing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, so many great things coming through. The taste is just as good. Sweet malts up front with a bit of vanilla, coffee, chocolate flavors all coming through. For a 9.5% beer the alcohol is very well masked. Medium carbonation and a nice heavy body make this a sipping beer, but it's nothing overpowering. Still very drinkable.

I am floored by this stout, it has such big flavors yet is still so drinkable it's scary.

BurnsTau, Jan 03, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Brooding; The darkest head I've ever seen on a beer: Beautiful dark caramel. The beer itself is totally black. Nothing getting through there. Head remains foamy for a long time, and the lacing is very good.

S: Dark malts are almost making me cry here. Sweet, roasty, everything I want. A touch of alcohol let me know this is going to last me all night.

T: One taste makes me slink back down in my chair. Its great. A hint of the oak rides the wave of roasty flavor and crashes onto my palate letting the dark malts take center stage. Eventually these flavors are washed away by that trademark roasty bitterness. You have to try hard if you want to taste the alcohol in this 9.5% brew, which is saying something. It all works together nicely, the end result: me smiling.

M: Not much carbonation, but a smooth mouthfeel and good finish. I find that's it's slightly dry on the back of the tongue, but my salivations seems to negate that pretty quickly.

D: Lingering bitterness isn't much of a problem. For me it's a reminder of what i was doing, that is, drinking this great beer. The alcohol will get me eventually, and is amazingly invisible in the taste until it starts to warm.

Overall this will be a reminder to me how a good beer can elevate my mood. Though tomorrow morning it will probably just be a reminder to always split a bomber with a friend.

51mmz0rz, Jan 02, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Oat Aged Yeti was included in a generous Christmas present from my girlfirend. Man am I impressed! It pours black as night, not a bit of light shines through. Smell is deep rich caramel and roasted malts. Taste is amazing. Sweet and carmelly, with plenty of roasty flavor but not burnt or harsh. 9.5% alcohol is extremely well hidden. This beer is a close rival to Storm King as my favorite Imperial Stout.

ericj551, Jan 01, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Pouring this thick stout produces one inch of creamy, brown head. The body is pitch black with absolutely no light passing through. Head retention is very good with a nice layer held through each glass.

The nose of this beer presents a smooth, vanilla and lactose sugar aroma. Roasted barley is noticeable but not quite as strong as the style normally presents. More of the typical stout characteristics appear as it warms. A milk chocolate and faint coffee sense blend with a sherry sweetness for the finish.

A brief chocolate and malt sweetness start this stout. A deep and salty barley flavor blends together with coffee for a strong flavor profile. The oak presence is huge in the finish along with a massive hop flavor. Alcohol is notably strong in the finish as well. This beer seems a little harsh but aging would probably mellow this nicely.

The mouthfeel is creamy but also very dry from the alochol content. The qualities of this beer tend to kill the palate more so than other examples.

Drinkability is good for a beer of this strength but this is definitely a sipping brew. Savor slowly and age one for what should be a wonderful experience.

Budlum, Dec 27, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Wow ... another hyped beer that has lived up to its legend!

A: B-L-A-C-K baby ... with a nice tan head that runs after the beer as you suck this puppy down. Leaves a nice lace ... again, depending on whether or not I cleaned my glasses properly.

S: A wonderful coffee aroma with hints of malty sweetness.

T: Kick ass. Coffee, vanilla, oak, smoke ... you name it, it's in there! Though there are a myriad of flavors, they all blend together nicely to present an non-overwhelming RIS. I could drink this all day, though I'd be very afraid of the consequences!

MF: Silky smooth with plenty of carbonation ... though not too much to spoil the style.

Overall: As I said, I could drink this all afternoon ... though the hefty ABV would make that quite a challenge. This is an interesting derivation to the RIS style with the oak aging. Believe the hype! You’ve got to try this one for yourself!

Jaynuze, Dec 27, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

I got this beer from dogfooddog from a trade and this is probably the first European review of this beer. I am anxious to try this beer!

It pours a pitch black beer with some off-white, brownish foam, which disappears very fast. When pouring it into the glass, I was amazed by the high viscosity of the beer, it looks very thick and heavy.

Smell is fantastic, roasted, burned and for sure hoppy and bitter. The oak aging has really added more deep, dark scents and reminds me of oak (off course), vanilla and some smokiness.

Taste is malty, burned and roasted, with liquorice and maltbitter. The hops give the beer a nice bitter and hoppy taste. There is again the vanilla, oak, other woods and smoke in there. The beer is warming of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and drinkability is not high, but that serves the style. The beer is sticky on the lipps.

A fantastic beer, not like anything I have ever tasted! This was my first US RIS and I now I want to try the other ones too!

Absumaster, Dec 25, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2005 release:

Appearance: Big, sticky, intense obsidian black. Smooth, solid, amber sandstone head with good retention.

Smell: Molasses, spent yeasty soy sauce-like notes, cacao, allspice, brown sugar, and a background of dry, robust, bourbony, vinous, woody oak. Spicy and sweet, quite nice.

Taste: Bitter, pure cacao; tangy oaken wine; mildly smoky, charred malts. Very bitter and aggressive, with a dry, tangy finish.

Mouthfeel: A tad thin for the style, but nice and sticky, lip-smacking, and frothy.

Drinkability: Big, bad, and bold, but that doesn't stop this from being an easy sippin' beer. I had no problems finishing the bomber, but be careful with that ABV... it'll sneak up on you!

soulgrowl, Dec 24, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a thick deep dark black color, nice brown head that receded a bit, then settled down nicely.

Beer smells of vanilla, chocolate, and oak. Very nice nose coming off this one.

Flavors are big and pronounced. What an excellent mouthfeel. A taste of bitter chocolate, some oaky notes, and then a bit of a smack from the alcohol content. Finishes surprisingly crisp, with a touch of hoppy bitterness.

What an excellent stout. I have had some pretty good brews from Great Divide, but this one is very good. I enjoyed it very much, quite drinkable for such a big brew. I want another!

Thank a lot MuenchenerKindl!

flexabull, Dec 22, 2006