Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

I really wanted to like this beer, but I think it is seriously overoaked and what is normally a very nice stout has become a mess. Pours black with a thick tan head. Smell is roasty, sour, and with hints of vanilla. Both the sourness and vanilla come in large part from the wood. The taste is all wrong. There are roasty notes, malt, and chocolate struggling to make themselves known, but they are obliterated by the heavy oak flavors. It tastes like there is a shot of anejo tequila in this beer. Heavy vanilla, wood sourness, and cherry flavors from the wood as well as a woody aftertaste make this less than enjoyable for me. Give me the non oak-aged Yeti any day over this. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but still there is that tannic wood in the background cutting against it. Not very drinkable at all, like a beautiful cabernet that someone has oaked all to hell. More restraint on the wood would have added subtle touches of wood and vanilla sweetness and would have been welcome. I'll try another batch in the future and see how it goes.

Georgiabeer, Jan 05, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pure black...black as old motor oil topped with a good 2 finger dark tan head that slowly melts to substantial lacing.
Smells like dark chocolate and dark sweet fruits.
Extremely creamy mouthfeel.
Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, dark candied fruits, bourbon, and a bitter hops ending.
Aftertaste of bittersweet chocolate with nothing cloying or sticky about it.
Oak barrel mellows this out wonderfully and adds a slight vanilla dimension.

IntriqKen, Jan 05, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured a thick black with no chance of light passing through it. Brown colored head fades quickly, almost immediately. No visible carbonation or anything for that matter. Smells of malted milk balls and maybe molasses. Slight woody taste for barrels. Sweet upfront taste changes to a burnt malt taste that hangs around. Slick and oily mouthfeel and easily the thickest beer I've had to date. Drinkability-wise I don't know why all the ratings for this have been so high; I've liked others of this style so much more. Still waiting to try the Stone RIS for comparison. May have to review again.

vwcraig, Jan 04, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

22 oz bomber.

Wow, I noticed how black this is while I was pouring it. Very deep black with no light showing through, dark head that leaves a good lacing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, so many great things coming through. The taste is just as good. Sweet malts up front with a bit of vanilla, coffee, chocolate flavors all coming through. For a 9.5% beer the alcohol is very well masked. Medium carbonation and a nice heavy body make this a sipping beer, but it's nothing overpowering. Still very drinkable.

I am floored by this stout, it has such big flavors yet is still so drinkable it's scary.

BurnsTau, Jan 03, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Brooding; The darkest head I've ever seen on a beer: Beautiful dark caramel. The beer itself is totally black. Nothing getting through there. Head remains foamy for a long time, and the lacing is very good.

S: Dark malts are almost making me cry here. Sweet, roasty, everything I want. A touch of alcohol let me know this is going to last me all night.

T: One taste makes me slink back down in my chair. Its great. A hint of the oak rides the wave of roasty flavor and crashes onto my palate letting the dark malts take center stage. Eventually these flavors are washed away by that trademark roasty bitterness. You have to try hard if you want to taste the alcohol in this 9.5% brew, which is saying something. It all works together nicely, the end result: me smiling.

M: Not much carbonation, but a smooth mouthfeel and good finish. I find that's it's slightly dry on the back of the tongue, but my salivations seems to negate that pretty quickly.

D: Lingering bitterness isn't much of a problem. For me it's a reminder of what i was doing, that is, drinking this great beer. The alcohol will get me eventually, and is amazingly invisible in the taste until it starts to warm.

Overall this will be a reminder to me how a good beer can elevate my mood. Though tomorrow morning it will probably just be a reminder to always split a bomber with a friend.

51mmz0rz, Jan 02, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Oat Aged Yeti was included in a generous Christmas present from my girlfirend. Man am I impressed! It pours black as night, not a bit of light shines through. Smell is deep rich caramel and roasted malts. Taste is amazing. Sweet and carmelly, with plenty of roasty flavor but not burnt or harsh. 9.5% alcohol is extremely well hidden. This beer is a close rival to Storm King as my favorite Imperial Stout.

ericj551, Jan 01, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring this thick stout produces one inch of creamy, brown head. The body is pitch black with absolutely no light passing through. Head retention is very good with a nice layer held through each glass.

The nose of this beer presents a smooth, vanilla and lactose sugar aroma. Roasted barley is noticeable but not quite as strong as the style normally presents. More of the typical stout characteristics appear as it warms. A milk chocolate and faint coffee sense blend with a sherry sweetness for the finish.

A brief chocolate and malt sweetness start this stout. A deep and salty barley flavor blends together with coffee for a strong flavor profile. The oak presence is huge in the finish along with a massive hop flavor. Alcohol is notably strong in the finish as well. This beer seems a little harsh but aging would probably mellow this nicely.

The mouthfeel is creamy but also very dry from the alochol content. The qualities of this beer tend to kill the palate more so than other examples.

Drinkability is good for a beer of this strength but this is definitely a sipping brew. Savor slowly and age one for what should be a wonderful experience.

Budlum, Dec 27, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Wow ... another hyped beer that has lived up to its legend!

A: B-L-A-C-K baby ... with a nice tan head that runs after the beer as you suck this puppy down. Leaves a nice lace ... again, depending on whether or not I cleaned my glasses properly.

S: A wonderful coffee aroma with hints of malty sweetness.

T: Kick ass. Coffee, vanilla, oak, smoke ... you name it, it's in there! Though there are a myriad of flavors, they all blend together nicely to present an non-overwhelming RIS. I could drink this all day, though I'd be very afraid of the consequences!

MF: Silky smooth with plenty of carbonation ... though not too much to spoil the style.

Overall: As I said, I could drink this all afternoon ... though the hefty ABV would make that quite a challenge. This is an interesting derivation to the RIS style with the oak aging. Believe the hype! You’ve got to try this one for yourself!

Jaynuze, Dec 27, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

I got this beer from dogfooddog from a trade and this is probably the first European review of this beer. I am anxious to try this beer!

It pours a pitch black beer with some off-white, brownish foam, which disappears very fast. When pouring it into the glass, I was amazed by the high viscosity of the beer, it looks very thick and heavy.

Smell is fantastic, roasted, burned and for sure hoppy and bitter. The oak aging has really added more deep, dark scents and reminds me of oak (off course), vanilla and some smokiness.

Taste is malty, burned and roasted, with liquorice and maltbitter. The hops give the beer a nice bitter and hoppy taste. There is again the vanilla, oak, other woods and smoke in there. The beer is warming of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and drinkability is not high, but that serves the style. The beer is sticky on the lipps.

A fantastic beer, not like anything I have ever tasted! This was my first US RIS and I now I want to try the other ones too!

Absumaster, Dec 25, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2005 release:

Appearance: Big, sticky, intense obsidian black. Smooth, solid, amber sandstone head with good retention.

Smell: Molasses, spent yeasty soy sauce-like notes, cacao, allspice, brown sugar, and a background of dry, robust, bourbony, vinous, woody oak. Spicy and sweet, quite nice.

Taste: Bitter, pure cacao; tangy oaken wine; mildly smoky, charred malts. Very bitter and aggressive, with a dry, tangy finish.

Mouthfeel: A tad thin for the style, but nice and sticky, lip-smacking, and frothy.

Drinkability: Big, bad, and bold, but that doesn't stop this from being an easy sippin' beer. I had no problems finishing the bomber, but be careful with that ABV... it'll sneak up on you!

soulgrowl, Dec 24, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a thick deep dark black color, nice brown head that receded a bit, then settled down nicely.

Beer smells of vanilla, chocolate, and oak. Very nice nose coming off this one.

Flavors are big and pronounced. What an excellent mouthfeel. A taste of bitter chocolate, some oaky notes, and then a bit of a smack from the alcohol content. Finishes surprisingly crisp, with a touch of hoppy bitterness.

What an excellent stout. I have had some pretty good brews from Great Divide, but this one is very good. I enjoyed it very much, quite drinkable for such a big brew. I want another!

Thank a lot MuenchenerKindl!

flexabull, Dec 22, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pour jet black, no light can penetrate this, looked like syrup going. Thick brown head that lingered for a while and thick lacing. This looks like a meal! Smell had a suprising hopped ting to it, but the caramel and chocolate malts definatly prevailed. Again smells very full. Taste was sweet dark chocolate right up front. Almost like a milk shake. Very nice dry hop finish. Roasted malt throughout and very sweet and delicous. Was not nearly as thick feeling going down as I thought. This was a wonderful treat and I will seek out more whenever I can. By far the best stout I have drank uoto this point, would recommend this to everybody. Oh yeah and the alcohol was soo well hidden, could not taste a drop of it!

mikesgroove, Dec 17, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark Brown to Black with good carbonation. The head is very nice, 2 big fingers, Dark Brown and leaves some lace.

The The smell is Big Yeti RIS, with a small oaky aroma that is low key.

The taste is Great! Love that Yeti and with that nice oaky tone cound be even better.

The Mouthfeel is nice but not better. Big RIS body, nice carbonation.

The drinkability is also good, very nice in a style I love. But not the best. I will try more of these it is a great brew. Prosit MK

MuenchenerKindl, Dec 17, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving size is from a 22 ounce bottle. Bottle originally purchased from the brewery in early August. Seems much more appropriate to enjoy this beer now on a cold December night than from the taps at the brewery on a hot muggy August day.
Appearance is very dark with a nice chocolatey head. Smell is chocolate. Taste was wonderful- hint of vanilla, licorce with a lot of chocolate and a woody finish. It was very smooth (fairly low carbonation) and sweet. I didn't think this was hot at all. Alcohol taste is neglible. Nice solid hop presence that has blended in nicely. A fanstastic beer all and all.

oakbluff, Dec 17, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Oozes out of the bottle like chocolate magma. Into a Lucifer snifter it goes. Has to be one of the most inviting-looking beers ever, with a toasted brown frothy head atop utterdark blackhole ebony.

Nose is toasted, roasted, sugary, milky, chocolately, with a hint of the 9.5% alcohol lurking. Almost smells like a barleywine, as hops and malts and alcohol are all heading into the red.

Flavor is a wild one. The expected woodiness (from the oak) takes on a kind of acidic smack, in a good way, in a way that maybe doesn't try to hide the alcohol at all. A well-hopped stout, sure, but it's the multitude of things going on in the malt/yeast characteristics that really win out: fruity, lots of vanilla essence, and a sipping-only strength that reminds of stronger spirits like bourbon, brandy or cognac. Some coffee-like bitterness, and a nice little alcohol burst that pushes the flavor up a notch, intensity-wise, while remaining totally balanced and drinkable. No slouch of a beer, Oak Aged Yeti is a perfect complement to sipping on a dark winter's night.

The mouthfeel is velvety smooth, creamy, silky, yet surprisingly not too heavy for a stout of this character. Superb in the mouth, hell yeah.

The higher alcohol content and left-of-center flavors may inhibit its drinkability a little, but it's incredibly enjoyable if you're in the mood for it. A little bit different, hugely warming and satisfying.

Metalmonk, Dec 14, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 22oz bomber at AJ's Labor Day weekend for $9.99.

Beer poured black as night with a brown well sustained head. Nose has hints of coffee, vanilla, and chocolate-the notes become louder the more it warms up. Taste is awesome, a tasty medley of chocolate malts, coffee, dark fruits, vanilla, and a kick ass hop finish. Mouthfeel is can't be any smoother, this beer glides nicely across my palate. Drinkability is near perfect but falls just short as there is an ever slight hint of alcohol in the aftertaste. This is an awesome imperial stout that is a must try! It is a bit spendy and will be a once a year treat!

Additional notes 11-7-09: Picked up a bomber at Total Wine at the end of August for $8.99. Beautiful pour into the Duvel Tulip, not much residual head left. Nose has hints of expresso and oak. Oak is more prevelant in the taste this time around. Expresso and chocolate is a secondary presence. Nice hop finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not as heavy as hoped. Drinkability is good, the alcohol lingers at the back of each sip - this would benefit from more aging. Great beer - definitely a must try if you are into impy stouts.

arizcards, Dec 11, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Black with a dark brown, cocoa-tinged head that's not exactly huge but has amazing endurance. Lacing is fantastic also.

Aromas are a bit subdued, focused around subtly roasted malt nicely accented by what I presume to be oak-derived aromas of licorice and vanilla. Gives the expectation of something smooth and creamy.

Delivers on that promise in the mouth, with alcohol entirely hidden but contributing to the rich mouthfeel. Bitterness is hardly apparent at first, and even the roasted character is hardly aggressive. Both of those come around a little on the finish to remind you what kind of beer this is. The vanilla and licorice notes from the nose definitely show up again as flavors.

A fantastic imprerial stout, with an incredibly hedonistic mouthfeel. Not as heavy on the coffee/chocolate notes as other stouts, which makes it even more distinctive.

tcfishler, Dec 11, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance is used motor oil black, with a frothy long lasting head that looks like chocolate milk with a touch of coffee color.

The smell of this brew is exeptionally complex. A true overload, but in a good way. Dark fruit jumps out at me first, then mild notes of chocolate and roast. There are many more scents in the brew that I can't put into words at the moment!

I taste dark chocolate, dark fruits and hops at the first sip. An awesome roasty flavor rolls over the tongue during the swallow and is finished by strong but pleasant alcohol with a fantastic bourbon-ish oak flavor.

Mouthfeel is a welcomed carbonation that is not overwhelming. Smooth and creamy on the way down, a nothing offensive here.

Drinkability is the killer here. I'm feeling a buzz and I'm through half a pint. Very strong beer here, don't consume too quickly!

Overall a great brew! Old Rasputin is my all time favorite stout, and this one might be unseating it... one more glass and we'll see.... HIGHLY recommended!

barrettds, Dec 09, 2006

22 oz bottle meets my pint glass.

I've been saving this for the first 'real' snow of the season. We've had flurries, but today it stuck and with more in the forecast for overnight, this is it.

Pours a dark, black-as-night body with a fluffy dark brown head, the color of milk chocolate.

The nose on this is huge and complex. I smell the roasty, coffee, chocolate scents of a stout as well as the bourbon hints from the barrel aging, a whiff of alcohol. Dark fruits come through as well, like plums perhaps.

Wow the taste on this is insane, sooo deeply complex its tough to wrap my head around it. I get the coffee flavor I expect as well as a roasty malty sweetness, coupled with a nice hop presence. Then, wow, here comes the oak aging, flowng over my tongue. Holy moley, it gives this beer a completely different character. Boozy and rich, my taste buds are blown. I'm close to overwhelmed.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with an obvious warming.

Drinkability on this is still up in the air. Its so good and so complex, but I think the alcohol and depth may almost get the best of me. I'll get back on that when I can.
---
Edit: The Morning-after Report
My wife commented multiple times throughout the course of the evening how strong this beer smelled. This is a powerful beer, so much so that I nodded off before finishing the 2nd glass. Not sure where that places drinkability, but this is seems to me like a good beer to split with a friend or to nurse from afternoon to night.

foureyedgeek, Dec 08, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked up a quite limited stock 22oz bottle at Half Time today, coming reccomended by the friendly staff as usual.

Appearance: Pours like oil, thick, jet black and sumptuous. A thin darkish tan head melts away into a frothy layer, and the bubbles peel off the glass as the beer moves around.

Smell: Smell is impressive to say the least. Huge oaky brandy smells, with rasberry, chocolate and an imposing roasted malt presence.

Taste: Everything good about the smell is in the taste, although unfortunately it still has a bit of a raw bite to it. The alcohol cuts through a bit too much, and the bitter is not quite mellow enough. This would really benefit from a couple years in the cellar.

Mouthfeel: Dry yet wet, thick and juicy, nice tingle from the carbonation.

Drinkability: Alcohol is still a bit too present and raw to be entirely properly savored, but I would say given a stint in the cellar, this beer would benefit greatly and would thereafter probably be one of the top Imperial stouts on my list.

FranklinPCombs, Dec 05, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a jet black without even a hint of light. This beer embodied the event horizon of a black hole. Not one particle of light could possibly escape is oily mass. Perched atop like the accretion disc was a pillowy café au lait head that slowly receded into bubbles and a sligh that was already lacing before I could even take a sip. The nose was so rich and deep I think I couuld probably OD and legally die if I inhaled too much of it. There were heavy notes of chocolate, molassass, brown sugar, some salty flavors mixed in. The first blush revealed a sharp hop bitterness that slid into a smooth full bodied malt attack replete with more notes of chocolate and slight rum and fruit overtures before morphing back towards the bitterness of the hops. The alcohol produced a comforting warming sensation, but in no way overpowered the flavors. The mouthfeel was chameleonlike like as the taste would suggest with alternating sharpness and smooth velvet like stages. I enjoyed this beer as the weather finally took a dive towards the negatives. This is surely one to seek out!

GreatPondBrewer, Dec 05, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber into a stubby little half of a chalice.

Fantastic pour, deep dark black with a large wonderfully brown head. Only loses a small mark for a little bit of ruby showing through at the bottom.

Smells like very bitter malt and an unexpected dose of dry hop against a very light bourbon background. Not as intense as Goose Island's BC--much more stouty and much less bourbony.

Big rush of RIS ultra bitter malts, backed up with a rush of that unexpected bittersour hop and ending on a pronounced but gentle woodbarrell whiskey taste. Long, strong, and layered.

Woo-eee. A great RIS and a great wood-aged beer. Not quite as deadly intense as the bigboys, but certainly a good stepping stone for the uninitiated.

mynie, Dec 05, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this into an oversized wine glass. Pours a dark dark brown, almost black. I thought the head was very nice, a few mm high which discipated into a very consistent lacing that hangs on to the glass. The first thing I smelled was dark fruits, like cherries, along with chocolate undertones. Lots of coffee and roasted malts came out as well. I love the taste of this beer. Its starts out like dark chocolate milk, then become more burnt and bitter tasting like coffee and malts, and finishes with a nice hoppiness. The mouthfeel is very pleasant, and the drinkibility gets two thumbs up.

Graham21, Dec 04, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.
A - Dark brown/Black letting no light shine through with a caramel colored head that is an inch thick.
S - Sweet aromas of molasses, carmelized malt, piney hops, vanilla and boozy bourbon and I could swear I smelled coconut.
T - oak flavor is right up front followed by smokey bourbon, vanilla and bittersweet mocha with a decent amount of hoppiness throughout each sip.
M - Alcohol is warming as it goes down. Full body with modest carbonation.
D - Very smooth but a little too heavy to warrant opening up another bomber. This Yeti is meant to be savored over the course of at least an hour or so. It's nice to let it warm up to see what flavors and aromas will appear.

ClockworkOrange, Nov 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Inky dark brown with a black heart. Creamy, whipped, glass-climbing, cocoa brown head. Roasted, blackened fruits, ripe and sherry-esque. Big bourbon/Scotch aromas, oaky barrels, fudge, and medicinal alcohol. Numbing roasted, bitter hops, and alcohol quickly give way to chocolate, vinous fruits, and oaky bourbon. Finish is spicy bitter and warming, with lingering roasted flavors and dark chocolate. Full-bodied overall, creamy tiny bubble feel. A great digestif and goes well with T-day desert (caramel apple cake with caramel ice cream).

alexgash, Nov 26, 2006