Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a jet black with a huge chocolate tan foamy head that lasts forever. The smell is very pungent with dark fruit, chocolate, and some coffee. The taste is like the smell with a creamy milky chocolate flavor with dark fruit, alcohol, and abit of a smoked wood flavor. This is absolutely great. The m/f is heavy with all the flavors mixing perfectly. An awesome beer that should not be missed. Cheers.

jmz62565, Oct 11, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Out of a 22oz bomber it pours a crow-black, topped with a thick and creamy chocolate milkshake head, with amazing retention and light brown lacing coating the entire inside of the pint glass.

The aroma is of rich chocolate and deep roasted malt. The flavor consists of creamy milk chocolate, with an elegant whisper of hops, and coffee and coco. The oak aging adds a sublte, mellow warmth, lacking from most stouts.

The mouth is creamy and full-bodied on the front, then dries out with the assertion of coco, slight hops, and the sorcehed grain on the finish--it pleases the palate from beginning to end.

This is probably the best stout that I've encountered. I have not tried the un-aged Yeti yet, but will run to do so.

Osiris9588, Oct 07, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Obliterative black. The massive head is dark caramel in color and is one of the darkest that I've ever seen on a stout. It's as thick and as creamy as anyone could possibly wish for and is beginning to lay down a stunning array of thick, buckshot-riddled lace. Hey, I know where I've seen this look before... on non-Oak Aged Yeti. Both are outstanding in the appearance department and have few peers in this, or any other, style.

It may be the power of suggestion, but I swear I can smell vanilla bean in amongst the darkly menacing aromas that are emanating from the glass. The nose is heavy on bittersweet chocolate and light on espresso (if it can be said to be light on anything) with a wonderously citric, evergreen hoppiness keeping pace with all the malt. It's difficult to imagine a more assertive, yet still complex, aroma.

Great googly mooglies! This is fantastic beer and is easily as good as the un-oaked Yeti, maybe even better. It's monolithically malty with all sorts of dark, fudge-like flavors bathing the tongue with each mouthful. Chocolate still reigns with bitter coffee grounds having their say as well. The malt tastes like it was roasted in the fires of Hell itself.

I've had this bomber for at least six months, possibly longer, and it's scary how hoppy this beast still is. When fresh, it may have given Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Bear Republic Big Bear Black a run for their money as the most hoppy stout/porter that I've ever had. There's so much spruciness that I feel like I need to pick the needles out of my teeth after each sip.

The thing that I love most about the big beer from this brewery is the sheer amount of bud busting flavor that it brings to bear. It sometimes has an 'everything but the kitchen sink' vibe, but in most cases, it works beautifully for those of us who crave dizzying amounts of flavor.

I'd have to drink them side by side (now there would be a night to remember!), but I'm fairly certain that this version is even more complex than the standard Yeti because the oak aging actually mananages to impart noticeable oaky and vanilla notes. Even though a bit of an alcohol sting is noted, this is one of the most perfectly masked 9.5% beers that I've ever had. What good would a toothless Yeti be anyway?

I'm not sure that I can do the body/mouthfeel justice. There's nothing about this beer that should result in a bigger, creamier mouthfeel than in the non-oaked version, but for some reason, I didn't give that beer a perfect score and I'm doing so here. I can't imagine a more heavily creamy, nougat chewy, melted chocolate silky mouthfeel than the one that graces my mouth with each upending of the glass. If that isn't perfection, then I don't know what is.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is unbelievably good. If the Iowa ABV cap is ever popped, this is one of the beers that I'll horde like a greedy chipmunk. If you love larger than life stouts, oak-aged stouts or mouth parties in general, do whatever is necessary to lay your hands on the single best beer produced by one of America's best breweries.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 06, 2006

22 oz bottle. Strong, and I mean strong, oak aroma. Smelled like a Merlot or even a Rioja wine. Poured dark, dark, dark. Head was low and carbonation low unless poured directly into bottom of glass, which I did for second glass. Thick mouthfeel with hints of earth, burning leaves and toasted pine nuts. And oak. Lots of oak. I didn’t get the hop profile that 75 IBUs should have delivered, but they have a lot of malt to work with and the oak chips mellow a lot of that out.

GooberMcNutly, Oct 06, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a snifter appears dark black chocolate toned opaque when held up to the light just eats up the light forms a nice sized moccha hued head leaves fine lacing down the glass as it dwindles. Aromatics contain loads of charred oak, espresso coffee, dark chocolate, whole vanilla bean character, and somewhat of a coconut appeal warming alcohol is evident in the nose. Taste well the barrel aging does mellow out some characterisitcs but it also creates new dimensions along with charred oak dark espresso roasts come coconut, toffee, and vanilla aspects to the flavor. Still rooted with dark chocolate and high bitterness the hop flavor as been subdued a bit all blended well with aging very extraordinary brew. Mouthfeel full bodied coats the palate nice thick and chewy with mellow slow bubbling carbonation, quite an experience. Drinkability...sessionable yet limited in overall number drinkability due to the pure complexity and high octane. However if tasting with friends leave this one towards the finale there's not much that can match up plus you're going to crave more of this one after the bottle runs dry.

WVbeergeek, Oct 06, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

So this was enjoyed @ Taco Mac in Atlanta and i have 1 bottle left. The pour was black with a tan 2 finger head. The smell was roasted malts and very aromatic. There was a good balance of roasted malts and some smoke flavor. I was very surprised with the hoppiness of this stout. The back end taste was the best. If you get a shot drink it.

Auburnbean33, Oct 05, 2006

From notes. Consumed in Ft. Worth, TX side-by-side compairison with "regular" Yeti.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass (made two pours) black (how black can black be?), with a nice 1/2 inch brown head. This head has some staying power. Leaves some good lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, a little smoked, and some charred wood). Hop aromas not as strong with Oak Yeti, but there are some piney scents.

Taste: Roasted malt, with a little bitter bite. More mellow and "softer" than the regular Yeti.

Mouthfeel: Full body, thick, there is a little alcohol burn with this one as it warms my chest a stomach on the way down. Still, thick and viscous. When I think "motor oil beer" I will think Yeti stout.

Drinkability: Same as the regular Yeti. It may have been a little smoother, but still just ridiculously over the top, but that is what I should expect from a "big beer". I get about half way through my second glass (about 18-19 oz into the beer) and I'm satisfied.

BigRedN, Oct 04, 2006

pours onyx with a thin tan head the disapeares quickly.
the aroma is rich with toffee, vanilla, roasted malt, and alcohol.
the flavor is roasty, dark chocolate, carmelized malt, hint of oak, vanilla, strong lingering hopsack.
yeti is great, very american imperial stout.

plaztikjezuz, Oct 01, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a snifter.A thick dark mocka colored head,collard lacing on the glass,a constant layer of foam.An opaque appearance,black color.A smell of chard oak,and licorice.A very complex taste.notes of vanallina,burnt chocolate,coffee,sweet malt.A strong taste of chocolate in the finish.A thick and chewy mouthfeel.very syrupy,and a smokey aftertaste.A very good sipping beer dessert like,very tastey and enjoyable.

jcdiflorio, Sep 30, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -12%

Wow I need to start pouring this stuff on my ice cream, instead of chocolate syrup! The Mrs. wouldn't know the difference except for the head and perhaps the smell. Ah yes the smell of an oak roasted vanilla malt that’s what it smells like I just put my finger on it.

This is a massive beer with very complicated tastes first the roasted malt going to a hoppy vanilla flavor. I want to keep tasting it to figure it out. Mouth feel is syrupy sloshing it around brings out the complexities with an alcohol taste. I don't think I can drink more than one of these at a time that’s why the drink ability is low. I will pick up another to ponder the complex taste again.

SudNut, Sep 30, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours an opaque brown-black with a thick, tan head -- looks very inviting. Head leaves ringed layers of lacing.

Smell is an interesting mix of coffee-tinged roasted malts and a sweet vanilla, fresh-baked cookie type aroma.

The oak comes through in the taste -- the intense roasted flavors of the yeti are mellowed and given a sweet, valilla, and slight oak tinge. The hop bitterness is still present on the back end and the alcohol burn is very present, though not annoying or off-putting.

I like what the oak has done to this beer -- a very tasty and mellow stout. Very drinkable for the style, but drinking more than one 22 oz bomber might be a bit much.

WAP, Sep 30, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Let this bottle sit in the fridge undisturbed for almost one year after buying.

Appearance- Awesome black molasses color and texture to this beer. Light brwon, half-finger head. A strong film remains on the top of the beer sip after sip. It will recede, but always comes back to cover up where I sipped. Its like weeds. Thin lacing on the sides of my Goose Island wine/beer glass. Only beer.

Smell- Roasted and medium smoked malts in the nose bringing forth memories of campfires and burning oak from my dad's scrap pieces of woodworked oak.

Taste- The syrupy smoke and roasted grains hit the palate immediately. Gving way to some light, creamy vanilla goodness in the middle of the palate. The aste of burning wood can't be dnied noticed more in the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel- Smooth creamy, velvety, and warming goodness.

scruffwhor, Sep 29, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I've been eyeing this in my refrigerator for awhile. Finally, I just brokedown and busted it out. Someone told me that I'd be able to get Great Divide beers in Southern California soon, but that hasn't happened yet. Shame too, I dig.

Back to this beer - it's a monster. It pours like a milkshake, dark as night with a TON of lacing from it's finger froth. The aroma is complex: lots of roasted malt, big hop profile and some sweetness - a lil vanilla and yes, as it says on the tin, some oak. I was a bit surprised how hoppy it was. But fuck it cause I love me some hops and this smelled great. The taste was delicious, much akin to the aroma - very well rounded. I caught some almond in there too.

I really liked the creaminess of the body. It provided a nice alcohol warmth. I finished the bomber, but it's not something I'd do often.

A fine big beer.

sloejams, Sep 29, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours out of the big bottle completely black with a big chocolate brown head that looks like cocoa powder was added to chocolate cool-whip. Thick, rich, creamy and drops slowly. And quiet. I could not hear the beer going into the glass. Apparently the head is an effective sound insulating material as well. Scattered lacing.
Smell is malt, hops, smoke and alcohol with hints of chocolate & windex - a vinegary/resiny/chemical note that was very off-putting but became less noticeable as time went on. Whether it was due to off-gassing or just my getting used to it, I don't know. A second bottle did not have this. It had notes of oak & vanilla in addition to the heavily roasted malt & almost burnt coffee with a brandy-like alcohol.
Taste is a decent balance of hops, malt, chocolate, some oak, and alcohol. Also notes of peat, vanilla & hops resin light in the aftertaste.
Thick & chewy with a good astringency, smooth and creamy. Very good stuff.

PorterLambic, Sep 24, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours a black in color, some carbonation, nice foamy tan head which disappears quickly, not much lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of hops, malts, chocolate/toffee, and alcohol.

T - The taste is of roasted/smoked hops/malts, slight vanilla, chocolaty, with a nice warm feeling in the palate.

M - Medium body, a complex brew.

D - Very drinkable. A very nice Oaked Aged (my first) from GD.

Wasatch, Sep 24, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

certainly the most interesting american-made RIS I have had. I understand that oak chips/blocks are placed in steel tanks to impart the oak character. The tannins and other tastes certainly have an impact on this compared to the normal yeti stout - background hints of vanilla, some other spicy notes, and the everpresent taste of wood. Drinkers of simgle malt scotches in young from from some types of bourbon barrels will recognize some of the elements.

the beer pours with a decent head, and the smell is certainly more oak-impacted than the taste is. After drinking this, I have no interest in buying their normal stout if this is available!

dogfooddog, Sep 23, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours out an opaque pitch black with a thin caramel brown colored head that leaves some spotty lacing. Up front in the nose is dark chocolate and a roasty coffee scent along with a big presence of citrus and resin aromas from the hops. Not really getting any flat out oak aromas, rather some faint vanilla plays well with the chocolate. Some alcohol in the nose. Smooth, rich chocolaty malt with a coffee edge are apparent firstly. Following that I get some citrus and pine from the hops. The hop bitterness intermingled with the astringent bitterness of the black malts linger on the tongue. Once that subsides, I enjoy the aftertaste of tiramisu and chocolate covered espresso beans. Throughout, I can pick up slight vanilla notes, but not an overtly oak character. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, not too viscous, and very tongue-coating. Really emphasizes the flavors. Kind of heavy drinking, but for what it is, it's quite drinkable.

While I don't think much was added to the flavor and aroma of Yeti by the addition of oak, aside from subtle vanilla hints, it did help with mellowing out some abrasive hops and totally killing the harsh acidic character of the regular Yeti. Really surprised how this improved so much with some oak (sans big oak character).

goochpunch, Sep 17, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

This fine beer pours a very dark brown, or even black color that lets in no light whatsoever. It has a very frothy looking tan/brown head, one of the brownest/darkest heads I have ever seen on any beer. Leaves some very nice lacing too. Aromas of roasted coffee, a hint of dark chocolate, some hops, and other grains are all present here. Coffee, dark chocolate, hops, some darker fruits such as apples or plums, alcohol and a touch of vanilla make up the taste of this fine brew. Has a dry and bitter aftertaste and a warming sensation taht you really start feeling after a few sips. Has a very frothy, creamy, and full bodied mouthfeel light to moderate carbonation. The alcoholl is well hidden for a beer of this magnitude, making it more drinkable than one would expect, but due to the high ABV I couldn't see myself drinking more than one of these at a time. A fine brew indeed.

Eric

neenerzig, Sep 11, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Every so often, you’ll have a beer that has a certain “Wow!” factor. For me, this was one of those beers. I expected it to be good, but it truly bowled me over. The brew pours a very thick, solidly black color. The head is a richly deep brown color, with a lot of intricacy, producing attractive lace. The smell is amazing…smoky and very roasty. There’s a very intense alcohol aroma, mingled with dark-roast coffee, burnt grain, and licorice. There’s also a notable oak quality in the aroma, along with some chocolate and vanilla. What I most enjoyed about the aroma, aside from the complexity, is the powerful intensity of the smell. It really jumps out of the glass and seeks out your nose. The taste is equally as pushy…intensely bitter…both a roasted/burnt bitterness and a solid-dosing of hops bitterness. It’s also layered with a tremendous alcohol flavor and warming, roast barley, choloclate, and espresso. Wow. Very nice. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and quite creamy. This is simply an amazingly satisfying beer.

Suds, Sep 10, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

a - pours black with a half-inch tan head, little retention, nice lacing

s - roasted malt dominates, but hops and alcohol are also evident

t - roasted malt up front with a great mixture of hoppy bitterness and the vanilla that the label mentions taking over on the finish, very nice, complex taste that is distinct from other Impy's I've had, definitely smoother than most, not much by way of alcohol

m - full-bodied, little carbonation, coats the mouth well, moderately dry finish

d - dangerous beer as its very tasty and the alcohol is masked very well, probably about as drinkable as an RIS can be

I tried this before the original Yeti, so I can't compare the two yet. I am very impressed by this brew - not surprising as GD has not disappointed me yet. This is a very smooth, RIS with a unique, interesting taste.

WeisGuy, Sep 05, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +15%

A - black opaque body, with brown head. Very resillient lacing.
S - charred wood aroma
T - slightly sweet, a hint of licorice? Big malt and big alcohol are nicely balanced. Less bitter than the other yeti.
M - Very smooth, with mini-carbonation.
D - This is a huge beer, in a big bottle, it would be rough to get through one of these by myself.

Naerhu, Sep 04, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer pours a black, black color, through which no light can pass. Very impressive. The smell is strong, but alcohol takes the center stage. Also there is a hint the oak that is mentioned on the bottle which is quite a pleasant surprise. The taste is very complex. The initial taste is an enormous stout taste, with the toasted malts, Next the hops come in and have a hint of bitterness. The last taste is of both alcohol and burn malts, which make for a nice combination. The mouthfeel is strange... I dont love it, but it has a waxy consistency much like imperial IPA's, and I attribute it much to the hops. Overall quite a beer.

Toddv29424, Sep 02, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Oake Aged Yeti is not as good as its regular counterpart, but...

A: Pours black as night. Nice thisck tan head disappates quickly, but leaves great lacing.

S: Smells of chocolate and vanilla. Slightly woody from the oak I presume. No real presence of hops or alcohol.

T: Follows smell. Chocolate, coffe and vanilla. Nice bitterness and warming alcohol comes through in the finish. I prefer the more dry, acrid flavor of regular Yeti.

M&D: Medium body and mouthfeel. not overly drinkable, but what Imp. Stout is?

Overall, a good Imp. Stout, but not as good as reguar Yeti. This was my first oak aged beer. I would probably reserve this for more of an after dinner drink, though I would buy this again.

JBStith, Aug 30, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked this beer to celebrate moving into our new house.

Pours a viscous deep black with a dense two finger mocha head that slowly falls to a thick layer of foam, leaving behind a solid webbing of lace.

Smell; vanilla and oak barrel aroms are dominant up front, and then some nice roasted malts and coffee come out. There's also some dark fruits topped with dark chocolate.

Taste; oak barrels with a little bit of vanilla assault my tongue right away. Dark cherries, mixed with chocolate and roasted coffee beans settle into the middle and finishes with a bit of a hoppy bitterness. The alcohol doesn't really come through in the flavor, but boy, is it felt. Mouthfeel is full bodied and very creamy, with a pretty decent drinkability.

While this is an excellent beer, I still prefer the regular Yeti.

RedHaze, Aug 26, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours midnight black with a resilient, brown head. The oak comes through in the aroma, as does strong malt. The taste is amazing, definitely on the sweet side but not at all cloying. After swallowing, I'm left with a taste like I just chugged a glass of chocolate milk. The mouthfeel is thinner than other ISs I've tried, and it is very refreshing. At 9.5, this is a dangerous brew.

CH3CH2OH, Aug 24, 2006