Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
phisig137

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a tap at capital ale house, this beer is absolutely black, with no light shining through. A thick brown head lasts a long time, and leaves a cap on the beer, and tremendous lacing on the glass.

Aroma: dark malts, bourbon, vanilla, and alcohol.

Flavor is nicely balanced, showing loads of vanilla, oak, sweet malts, pressure treated lumber(in a pleasant way), and molasses.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, full, and chewy. But drinkability suffers a bit. I drink a LOT of imperial stouts, but for some reason, I had to drink this one very slowly. By the end, it was almost a struggle to finish the 12 oz glass.

Very nice beer over all though, as are most of the offerings from Great Divide.

04-13-2006 03:06:20 | More by phisig137
briman

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark black with a half inch dark brown head. Retains well, and settles into nice lacing.

Smell of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee aromas. The chocolate seems to dominate until it starts to warm up, then all the other aromas come through.

Taste starts off with chocolate, and coffee. I get some mild vanilla in the finish, but not as much as I expected after reading the "on bottle" descripton. Strong dark roasted malt bitterness lingers in the finish as well. Burnt taste is more mellow compared to regular Yeti, so for me this is a slightly better beer.

Nice medium to full body, not overly carbonated...seems just right for this beer. Definately a beer I could drink more of, but probably just one in a single setting.

04-10-2006 05:09:59 | More by briman
MUSHROOMCLOUD

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

A - 2" dense camel colored head. Excellent retention. Thick, sticky lace. As black as black can be.

S - Thick with roasted malt. Cream. Booze. Hint of hops.

T - Dark fruit (fig, raisin). Caramel. Vanilla. Coffee. Big roasted malt. Hops are in perfect balance. Boozy finish. So mellow and smooth for such a huge beer.

M - Between a medium and full bodied mouthfeel. Mid-level carbonation. Long, long finish.

D - Incredible drinkability. Best double/imperial stout that I have had yet. So smooth. What a treat!!!

04-10-2006 00:51:49 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
Winter

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours motor-oil black in color with a thick rocky, brown head. Aroma consists of chocolate and roasted malt. The hops provide a piney nose to it. You can detect oak in the aroma as the beer warms slightly. Thick, coating mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Smooth front with flavors of chocolate and roasted malt. Midway the malt takes on a more burnt taste and the flavor turns slightly bitter from the hoppiness. Strong expresso roast and piney hop bitterness towards the back. Risidual oak and chocolate linger in the long enjoyable finish. The 9.5% alcohol is masked very well which makes this dangerously drinkable!

04-07-2006 02:42:47 | More by Winter
bditty187

Nebraska

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Black in hue with some dried blood influences, opaque. Is there a finer sight than a pitch-black stout? Brunette head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. This beer has some of the most attractive foam I have ever seen. Head retention was excellent; the bubbles were slow to fade to a thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized but there was plenty of it. No matter how I dissect it, this is a damn fine looking beer!

My nose is failing me… I don’t smell much. I get jabbing notes of hops, pine mainly. The malt dances in the background, roasted coffee, chocolate, and vanilla covered coconut. It’s not all that woody (check that, it took a while but the oak really started to come through, quite nice!). Like the regular Yeti, the nose just didn’t blast out of the glass like I had hoped. In the distant background are hints of dark fruits and apples. Overall, it has moderate potency, at best. I am disappointed with the bouquet. It is pleasant enough but I wanted more. Sue me. I wanted a nose bigger and better that regular Yeti. IMO, this is no better or worse, the oak adds a little but hides other aspects. Inviting, nevertheless.

The palate is nice. Should Yeti be “nice”? Hell no, the palate should strike blows down upon my taste buds destroying them. I should feel this beer in my core. I don’t. Okay, maybe my expectations were out of whack. This is a beefy beer. This is a flavorful beer. This is a complex beer. Okay… it is growing on me. I found it bitter upfront with citrus rinds and pine trees, lingering bitterness (which is to die for). In the middle are hints of apples, wood, burnt sugar, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, figs, and various other dark fruits. Long lingering aftertaste, it is very sweet with kisses of wood and bitterness. I have been disappointed with the nose and the palate, for the first half of the bottle at least, but MY GOD did this beer grow on me. What did I taste earlier? This beer finishes strong; raw alcohol burn at the end. This is Yeti! Wow.

Medium/medium-full in body, I still think the body is a tad to thin but its tolerable… low but natural carbonation, pleasant mouthfeel. I’d like it to be hardier.

Drinkable? Hell freaking yes. Delicate, succulent… delicious; I am sold. Yep, this is good. It is better than regular Yeti. It seems darker, hotter, rawer, and the wood does add depth. This beer flies solo wonderfully. I don’t have any desire to pair food with it. I want more bombers. I purchased my bottle in Lawrence, KS. I will get more. This stuff is magic. Seek it out.

04-06-2006 17:13:21 | More by bditty187
aforbes10

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a very nice looking beer. Very dark and syrupy looking. caramel colored head. nose has some chocolate in it, but also a lot of alcohol. taste is kind of dry and not as sweet as it could be (as i'd like it to be). the alcohol isn't all that well hidden either. Nice roasty flavor, some unidentifiable taste on the front end (maybe this is the oak?). thick mouthfeel, the alcohol is really coming on too strong by the end. Overall, not the best stout ive had but it is pretty good and heavy enough to make me smile.

04-03-2006 17:55:39 | More by aforbes10
doubleipa

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

One of my favorites. Big dark head, excellent lacing, and dark, dark, dark. Aroma is of chocolate, oak, and vanilla. There is some hops bitterness, but not too much to overpower the oakiness. This one feels real warm going down. I've had the non-oak Yeti and it's very much different than the oak aged. Drinkability is good if you want to linger over a nice bottle for a looong while. I don't think I could drink more than one of these in a seating.

04-03-2006 17:50:29 | More by doubleipa
bashiba

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Drank side by side with the regular Yeti to compare the 2.

Poured a dark black with ruby highlights and tons and tons of thick creamy dark tan head that left tons of lacing and had excellent retention.

Smell is full of vanilla, bourban, and chocolate.

Taste is full of oak flavors, with vanilla, bourban, charred wood, minor chocolate and burnt malts making a more subtle appearance. The hop bitterness is there, but is very subdued by the oakyness and semi sweet malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a nice warming to it.

Overall very drinkable, smooth and tasty. Is strikingly different than its regular brother. Lacking in the bitterness but making up for it with the additions that the oak flavors bring.

04-03-2006 00:48:41 | More by bashiba
Blakaeris

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours pitch black. Head is tan creamy goodness.

Smell is bitter dark grain, with the swetness of vanilla, chocolate, and nutmeg.

Taste is dominated by the woody oak flavor. Definite vanilla notes. Mild chocolate bitterness. Surprising sweetness. Spices add complexity. Alcohol is present throughout the experience but doesn't give away the high ABV.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and surprisingly soft and creamy.

This is a very interesting brew. Plenty of oak flavoring, maybe too much for my taste. I'm not sure yet. Still a great brew. It is amazing how different it is from the original Yeti stout.

04-03-2006 00:41:57 | More by Blakaeris
Gavage

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: deep black in color with a thick 2"+ head that looked like a dollop of chocolate mousse, very frothy and creamy looking.

Smell: some mild roasted malts and chocolate were noticeable, but somewhat light from what I expected.

Taste: this is a meal in a glass. Thick roasted malts, chocolate, molasses, hint of vanilla, alcohol, strong bitterness, and a very soft hint of bourbon. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Smooth at the start, almost syrupy at the finish. Aftertaste is long on the roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol.

Drinkability: Definitely good, but can' t give it a higher score with the noticeable alcohol levels. A must try if you enjoy the regular Yeti.

03-25-2006 13:48:16 | More by Gavage
ddarity

Oklahoma

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Really nice Imperial Stout. Nice aroma but a little subdued. Subtle tones of alcohol in the nose which I believe is appropriate for the style. Smooth lingering mouthfeel and overall very drinkable. Nice warming sensation. I really enjoyed this beer. I am realitively new to the style but this sample really makes me want to know more.

03-21-2006 02:47:55 | More by ddarity
Optimat0r

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

appearance - basically the same as regular Yeti, dark and more dark, thick and heavy.

smell - similar to regular yeti but not quite as chocolaty.

taste - good, but not great. not as outrageously rich as regular Yeti, but still damn powerful. less chocolate flavors, maybe a hint of 'vanilla' as the bottle says, but not much. very deep but the flavors dont seem to mix as well; the aftertaste comes off as sharp alcohol.

mouthfeel - ok at best, very oily, and the strong alcoholic aftertaste lingers.

drinkability - good for a small serving at a time...i honestly dont know how someone could sit down and quaff the whole bomber, let alone more than one. its just too rich and sweet and the alcoholic aftertaste is wearing. like trying to drink a giant, thick milkshake. definitely a quality beer, but not as 'refined' as id hoped and way overpriced ($8 for a bomber?)

03-20-2006 05:05:47 | More by Optimat0r
IrishRedRock

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Thick and ominously black, just like the non-oaked version, with a thick brown well retaining head. Chocolate covered plums soaked in vanilla and whiskey sums up the nose. Silky smooth and lightly carbonated; oaky, pine notes up front, bitter dark chocolate with a lingering hop bitterness and smoky vanilla extract and roasted coffee beans in the finish. Alcohol gives a nice warmth in the aftertaste. Highly complex, yet I can't shake the feeling that I like the non-oaked version a little better, as I'm thinking the vanilla flavoring seems to take away something from the whole. Having said that, this is still an excellent an interesting, complex brew...I just happen to prefer the original version, but that's just me. This is still a damn tasty and warming brew.

03-12-2006 23:31:54 | More by IrishRedRock
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours like transmission fluid, but too black for that; huge coffee flavored head. Good lacing & head retention

Smell: Malty toastiness, some alcohol & fruitiness

Taste: Vanilla strained through wood, malt, fruit, vodka &hops. Dry vanilla finish

MF: Silky, rich & yum

Drinkabilty: Super despite the abv. So different than yeti, wow, both great takes on this style

03-03-2006 05:49:54 | More by russpowell
Matthew

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thick black liquid fills my pint glass, huge dirty brownish/tannish head. Tons of thick stickly lacing all around the glass.
Bittersweet coffee and chocolate witha touch of alchohol. Some hints of dark ripe berries. Dark brown suger is there also.
Big rich creamy chocolate kick with a dark roasted coffee around the edges give way to a nice hoppy bite and alcohol warming.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied, not nearly as heavy and chewey as expected.
Decent drinkability for an imperial stout.

03-03-2006 04:48:36 | More by Matthew
shroompod

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Very dark with ruby red faintly coming out the side when held up to light.Very little head which quickly retreats. Empty reveals it's not bottle conditioned.

Not much of an aroma, very slight floral quality.

For a lack of aroma, it makes up for in taste. A sharp dark maltiness/coffee flavor that intertwines with the hops very well.

It's moutfeel is long , with hints of the hops creeping out of the corners of my mouth minutes later. <Chewy/Chebacca is a relative of the Yeti I hear>

Overall this beer will grace my fridge again, I'd like a side by side with the non-oaked.

03-03-2006 01:42:51 | More by shroompod
mcowgill

I was wondering when I might meet a perfect beer. Well, alas, I found one. This beer is truly exceptional to me. It pours a wonderful thick black creating a large creamy tan head. Lacing remains all over the glass. I get numerous aromas from this beer: vanilla, oak, whiskey, malts. Beautiful! The taste is incredible and very complex actually. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and even a fair amount of hops which is great. I feel like I'm drinking an amazing desert. It's criminal that I only paid $6.99 for this bomber, haha! The mouthfeel is thick and almost syrupy. For such a complex beer, this is so drinkable. Thank you Great Divide for this amazing brew!

03-01-2006 00:31:51 | More by mcowgill
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

On the coldest day this winter, I decided, what the hell, I'll pay $9.00 for a bomber of this stuff. Worth it? Sort of. Buy it agian? No. I was a little hesitant because I did not like the regular Yeti, too burnt. However, this one has taken that characterstic, mellowed it, and added some bark.

Very nice oaking, as I mentioned slighty less burnt than it's brother, coming across with nice roasted malts, followed by a twist of vanilla and clove. Aftertaste is mellowed by dark choclate and hazlenut. Normally I don't like reviewing beers with so many similes , but this ones deserves it.

Another fantastic offering from Great Divide. Too expensive for my tastes though. Worth a try.

02-28-2006 02:43:50 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
edmundfitzoil

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer was poured from a 22 oz. brown “bomber” bottle with no freshness or date of any kind listed where I could find it on the bottle. I poured mine into a snifter glass. The beer came out a pitch black color, dark with no light coming through. Try as I might, I could not achieve a head of any sort. The nose was heavy on the roasted malts along with some dark fruits and an underlying presence of vanilla. The beer proved to be full bodied and mellowed wonderfully as it warmed. And a great drinking, and subtly complex imperial or American Double Stout. I would return to this one for sure, especially for the subtleness of its character.

02-25-2006 22:17:51 | More by edmundfitzoil
francisweizen

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I've had the chance to sample this one several times, both in it's bottled form (as reviewed here) and also straight from a cask at the bewery in Denver. This one never dissapoints. I am a fan of the regular yeti as well, but the oak aging really helps this one out. This is an inky/oily pitch black with a nice espresso-tinged head of foam that lasts long enough to leave some nice lacing patterns in the glass. The aromas hit hard with the bourbon up front with some lovely vanilla and spice hints as well as the aromas of figs, several other dark fruits, a slight hint of walnut, and a bit of boozey heat. The taste is roasty as hell with a big bourbon character that I just love. Vanilla and other dark sugar sources shine their heads and mingle with the slightly herbal hops and big bad malts to make a complex yet easy drinking monster, that is filling in the mouth. This is akin to a bowl of hot irish oatmeal, a triple thick chocolate milk shake, and a shot of makers mark all rolled into one.

An imperial stout in the upper eschelon of the spectrum. Fo schizzle.

02-23-2006 23:37:49 | More by francisweizen
MuddyFeet

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Great beer. More mellow the the regular version but the alcohol seems to come out more. Poured a near black in color with a thick, tawny head. Layers of caked lace all inside the glass. It was really fin watching the carbonation separate after the pour--kind of like being a little kid at a magic show. Nose is sweet with loads of cocao and some hints of piney hops towards the back.

Flavor is a complex mellow. The wood adds a great dimension that smooths this beer out nicely and brings out a strong vanilla and whiskey flavor. I can also picki out blatant roasted malts, cocao, and some coffee beans. Actually, more of a chocolate covered cappacinno bean. Little bit of licorice too. Hop bitters come out towards the finish but really make their presence known in the aftertaste. Heavy and full mouthfeel. Really coats the tongue and cheeks. Very drinkable but the bitterness and the alcohol might be a bit too much after a while.

02-23-2006 03:04:25 | More by MuddyFeet
Gagnonsux

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

The appearance is perfect. Color is pitch black with a large, thick brown head. Retention is very good. Aroma is of rich chocolate malt with a strong, pungent hop. An edge of vanilla is also noted. The taste has lots of flavor, but is also somewhat chaotic. Chocolate malt starts off a sip and soon mixes with a strong vanilla flavor. A strong pungent hop comes in midway through a sip and collides with the vanilla. Alcohol flavor is noted in the finish. Overall, Oaked Yeti has plenty of flavor going for it, but at times the flavors don't work too well together. Also the oaky vanilla was a little too strong for my tastes. Still, this is a big beer that I urge all BAs to sample.

02-22-2006 01:19:17 | More by Gagnonsux
Drew966

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a small tan head from a brown 22oz bomber. To me, the aroma is of chocolate/malt. Taste contains chocolate and coffee notes. I think I can taste the oak as well. This one is downright yummy. Highly recommended, worth searching out and hoarding. On the pricey side though. I'd also have to mention that the 9.5% alcohol is pretty well hidden, and it might be easy to over do it with this one.

02-21-2006 21:35:51 | More by Drew966
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured black into a stemmed glass. Dark, dark black, tauny and thin head sitting atop the abyss. Smells of coffee, chocolate and malt. Taste is a burnt coffee that coats your mouth with a slight hop tinge, but what stuck out the most to me with a faint, figgy taste that I enjoyed ever so much. I enjoyed this beer heartily, and will drink it again.

02-20-2006 06:44:35 | More by HoboAGoGo
MaltyGoodness

22oz. bottle

Pours a dark black with a cocoa head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big aroma, very woody with the dark roasted grain and coffee aromas. Maybe a hint of vanilla.

Taste is very dark and roasty with a strong oak presence. There some espresso flavors and a nice bitter hop bite at the end. The hops and the oak linger.

Medium body and carbonation.

Pretty drinkable and very complex. I like this much better than the regular Yeti, but it could also have something to do with me cellaring this one for a while....

02-16-2006 02:16:07 | More by MaltyGoodness