Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from kegerator at home into Great Divide Brussels glass.

Had a nice creamy, lasting head. The head had a caramel/toffee color and it looked good enough to eat. The beer had a dark black appearance. In the words of Spinal Tap "None more blacker".

Aroma was of chocolate, coffee and a hint of molasses.

Taste is very rich with coffee, vanilla, dark roasted malts. I love the oak aged version of this beer. It really lends itself well to the style. Very heavy beer. Definitely take your time with this one and maybe even let it warm up a little. There are a lot of subtle flavors present that will take some time to pick out.

Very full body and the flavor lasts a long time. A phenomenal beer and I'm glad I've got a keg to enjoy at home.

drumrboy22, Apr 01, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a bright and highly glossy blue and black label with the words "Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout" in big bold white letters in front of the Rocky Mountains. I guess those are the Rocky Mountains because Great Divide is from Colorado. You could honestly spot this bottle a mile away because of the big bold white letters, the bright silver foil over the yellow cap and the label is very shiny. The regular Great Divide Yeti label has a shadowy creature (most likely the Yeti himself) standing to the right, but this label doesn't have one because the big bold white letters take up the entire front of the label. To the left of the picture is a paragraph giving you the information about the beer and on the other side of the label is just the Government warning and redemption value. I couldn't find any kind of bottling date or best before date anywhere on the label or bottle itself. It would nice to have some kind of vintage date, but you can't have everything. I wanted to try this Yeti because the regular Great Divide Yeti was so good that I had to try an oak aged one. Let's see if it stacks up to the regular Yeti.

Appearance: When served in one of those small Great Lakes Christmas Ale Snifters, the beer is opaque. No light can penetrate the deep dark blackness that Great Divide calls Oak Aged Yeti. Not even the mighty sun that lights this planet can penetrate this beer! That's how black it is. It had a dark mocha head of foam to it that was somewhere near half an inch in height. When the head of foam receded, it left behind a small mocha colored film, mocha rings, and you guessed it, mocha lace around the glass. I just can't get over how black this beer really is. All I can say is that you need to see for yourself how black this beer really is.

Smell: When I first got a whiff of this beer, I really didn't care for it. That was until I really stuck my nose into the glass to really get down into what this beer was hiding in its aroma. If you take your time, your nose can really pick out a wide range of flavors. For me, I got a not too strong aroma of dark roasted malts, oak chips, dark fruits (most notably the black cherry), dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, and a flutter of bitter hops to finish it off. I couldn't tell what kind of hops they were because the dark flavors were too big for the hops to really come out from behind all the dark flavors that were in the aroma.

Taste: If it smells is that good, then the taste just has to be equally as good as the aroma, Right? Yes, Yes, and Hell Yes! The taste had a same complex flavors as the aroma, except for just a few subtle differences. That means this Yeti unleashed a taste of dark roasted malts, dark fruits (black cherry with a splash of plum), a few oak chips, dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a dab of bitter hops, subtle hint of vanilla, and a mild taste of alcohol to finish this very dark flavor complex brew up. I thought the oak aging tamed the bitter hops and added just the slightest hint of vanilla and oak to it.

Mouthfeel: Just when you thought you were through with the Yeti, it wasn't done with you and comes back with an aftertaste of roasted malts, dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, slight taste of alcohol, and with more bitter hops and oak that were in the taste. The aftertaste was almost as complex as the smell and taste. You really need to sip this beer because if you don't, it will take a toll on your body and you walk around thinking that you're a less hairy Yeti in disguise. Are they sure this beer it clocks in at a 9.50% ABV? It feels like it should be higher than this.

Drinkability: Does it match up with Great Divide's non oak aged regular Yeti? Hell yes! I could drink either one because Great Divide did a nice job on both of them. Could I drink this one again in the future? I sure will! Take your time with this one to really enjoy all the flavors that are hiding in this beer and if you don't, the Yeti will probably kick your ass into submission.

AltBock, Mar 31, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. I got a couple inches of thick tan head. It left some lacing on the glass but not a great deal. Meanwhile, the beer is black as black can be.

Aroma is of dark roasted malt, coffee and bitter chocolate. Taste is rich with coffee chocolate, vanilla and roasted malt, with a little alcohol, and a bitter hop finish.

This Imperial Stout is a bit thin in the mouth, without the creamy smooth and rich feel that I get from others. It's a good sipper nonetheless, and I'm glad I picked it up.

ZimZamZoom, Mar 26, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A - black, tar like with small brown tinted head.

S - slight sweet smell

T - rich and creamy with moderate smokey flavors

M - light carbonation, very smooth

D - high alcohol & creamy flavors makes for slow mellow enjoyment.

I was lucky enough to grab the last single serve 24oz bottle from the store. An excellent product from a local brewer here in Denver. This was the first product I've tried from GD and will not be the last. Picked this up on recommendation from the BA site.

jsimon816, Mar 22, 2007
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bomber poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Deep Dark black. Wispy Brown head.

Smell: Roasted coffee and some kind of berry I pin point.

Taste: Roasted Coffee, dark chocolate. Again a berry fruitiness that I cannot pin point. Then comes the alcohol and the bitterness from the hops all mellowed out from the oaked aging technique.

Mouthfeel: Creamy stout goodness. Full in body.

Drinkability: This beer was very nice to say the least still not my favorite in the category but one that I will check out every winter. A sipper for the cold winter nights.

muffguy4beer, Mar 18, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz. bottle poured very dark brown with large brown head that leaves rings of lace around the glass. Smell is some sweet malt and chocolate. Taste is rich and creamy with roasted malts and maybe some burnt and slightly bitter unsweetened chocolate and seems a bit mellow probably from the oak aging. This is a smooth, mellow Imperial Stout that is very easy to drink. This one peaks my interest into the unoaked version I have yeti to try.

Alkey, Mar 17, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I bought this bottle at the Franklin Market of Choice, Eugene, OR. Pouring into a pint glass, it has a thin bubbly tan-brown head. It is very very black in color with no other hints of any other colors, even under a bright light. It has a good bit of lacing. The smell is a mix of mainly hops, but also roast and very little smell of alcohol. The alcohol comes through on the taste, but only in the very end. There's a different taste up front - maybe it is vanilla? - and then it's dominated by the roast before the alcohol/hops bitterness kicks in. Lotsa hops for an RI stout.

kdoc8, Mar 16, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer!

OutlawJoseyWales, Mar 16, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

All right, here we go again. And much too long has it been...

Pours inky black with a minimal dark brown head. Very thick and viscous.

Aroma: intensely chocolatey, molasses, plums, rum-saoked rasins, vanilla, brown sugar, toffee, piney American hops make an appearance...the oakiness is pretty subdued but just barely noticeable.

Taste: sweet caramel and toffeee up front followed by complex fruitiness, an alcoholic bite and an intense burst of hop flavor, rounded out by a wonderfully bitter roastiness that reminds me of super fresh black espresso. The vanillins and bourbon-like woodiness make their appearance at the end, and it is a short appearance that fades into delicious roastiness and hops bitterness. I really like how this RIS manages to get a great American C-hop flavor that doesn't fight for dominance with the rest of the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky and full-bodied, with medium carbonation. Finish is not too sweet, which is a big plus.

Drinkability: Very good for RIS.

Not surprisingly, this beer still reminds me why I started brewing imperial stouts - to get a flavor that comes close to this little drop of heaven in my chalice.

beertastegood, Mar 15, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

This oily, viscous black brew is exceeding intense and rich but still very smooth and well balanced with lots of roast, burnt bitterness, loads of caramel/toffee malt sweetness, a great, slightly cedery oak character, and a delicious citrus hop bitterness/flavor, especially in the lingering finish.

Wow, I have had this one sitting in my fridge for over a year and I think it smoothed at a lot. I didn’t mean to leave it in there so long, I just kept passing it over. Didn’t know what I was missing: rich and complex yet smooth and fairly drinkable.

One of the best Imperial Stouts I’ve had in a while…

Highly recommended.

arguemaniac, Mar 13, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

What an awesome night. Yeti is one of my fondest treats, and it was my pleasure to share a bomber of Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti with my friends Slatetank and gottajiboo2.

The side by side was quite revealing. The Oaked version did not have quite as much of the cherry flavors in with the chocolaty malt as the first Yeti. The Oaked Yeti was so much more smooth and rich with vanilla bean malted milkball attribute is was glorious. Even the alcohol bite seemed softer in the Oaked, why? I don't know but this is a great beer become exceptional.

Appearance: Pours a dark midnight black with a huge froth head that is dense and sticky. It lines the wall or the glass with heavy sheets of lace. gottajiboo2 had a pint glass and the lacing was relentless. I had my Oaked Yeti in a snifter and the rounded edges did eventually let the lace slide back down into the dark body. What a gorgeous beer.

Smell: Rich aromas of vanilla, malted milkballs, unsweetened chocolate, caramelized malts, a bit of toffee, coffee and then more vanilla bean, just flooded the nose.

Taste: When this beer touches my tongue I am overwhelmed. My senses all go wild and I instantly hear a song by Collective Soul blaring through my ear drums. Oh, heaven let your light shine down! I’m going to let it shine (x2)
Heavens little light gonna shine on me
Yea yea heavens little light gonna shine on me
Its gonna shine, shine on me; Its gonna shine, come on in shine
The song always gave me this empowered feeling while also realizing that I am blessed. The beer is the same. I am blessed to be able to have a beer like this any day of the week. Truly, I think it is taken for granted.
Espresso black malts, Vanilla and Oak, whipped fluffy malts that have a cocoa sugary milky creaminess to them like the chocolate cover malted milkball candies (whoppers), caramel with whipped milk, cream, and dark chocolate coffee, are truly moving.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally creamy and smooth with a think full feel and just silky smooth fluff across the tongue; magnificent texture.

Drinkability: As much as I gush about this beer it does remain a sipping beer, but that said I would be happy to drink as much of this beer I was offered. Big yes, but it never seems excessive. It could be very dangerous, two three bomber later ... ;-) oouch! but my God, it drinks very easily.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 11, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: This beer is magical. A perfect brown head sits upon a black body, grabbing the glass and not letting go as I drink.

Smell: Roasted coffee and some hops come through on the nose, but the hops aren't very prevelant. There's a woody characterwith some caramel, and maybe some brown sugar. I also pick up a sort of medicinal alcohol aroma that I think came from the oak.

Taste: Chocolate cocoa, coffee ice cream and a hint of vanilla take up the main stage. The alcohol numbs the taste a little bit, but allows for the fruity (strawberr) aftertaste to have more of an affect.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a decent body, but airy from the alcohol. The bitterness on the aftertaste is balanced with the body and creamy texture. The alcohol is a tad overpowering for me, but lets me know that this would do well in the cellar.

Drinkability: Heavy and not as smooth as it could be, this should be aged for awhile.

dbalsock, Mar 05, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to RoBotGod for this one
22 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. Color is a pure jet black. First pour brings a massive brown head that slowly recedes. Second pour, not so much head. Leaves a slightly sticky lace on the glass.
Smell is very hoppy for a stout, not what I expected, but not bad. There is some coffee malt notes present, but it is mostly hops. Taste is a hop bomb, with the oak mellowing out the bitterness.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, but the 9.5% leaves my tongue a little numb. That's strange since I have had higher ABV beers that didn't have that effect. It does drink pretty smoothly though.
This seems a little out of character for a RIS, but very good none the less. I would like to stash some and see how it ages.

bort11, Feb 25, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearence is extremely dark, possibly the darkest I've had. Beautiful two-finger espresso colored head that lasts throughout. Around the edge of the head is a darker, orange colored ring. Leaves behind a very nice lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells amazing...vanilla right off the bat, dark chocolate, raisin, just a slight hint of other fruits..pear or plum possibly? Oak and lots of hops.

Taste is very complex, begins with some bitterness from the hops but it quickly dissipates and brings about the vanilla and oak, then coffee, and finishes with some hoppy tones.

Mouthfeel is thick and warm, full of flavor and very pleasant.

I would drink this beer very often if it were easier to find in Columbus, the abv seemed even higher than 9.5 although it wasn't apparent in the flavor. This beer is one damn fine example of why I usually prefer Imperial Stouts over Porters...Excellent.

greenbeaner, Feb 23, 2007

Another brew I had at the brewery. When asked what kind of oak was used, I was told it is a secret. Can't be a big oak as the vanilla and oak flavors were weak.
I love the Yeti, but this one is not better. A solid beer, had the coffee and cocao of the Yeti, but the vanillaness took away their strengths without adding sufficiently of its own. Nice brew, but cannot top, or parellel the Yeti.

Mebuzzard, Feb 21, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Serving type: 22oz bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black with thick brown head and lots of fluffy lacing.

Smell: Cocoa, fresh baked bread, whisky

Taste: Chocolate, roasted malt, toasted bread, whisky flavors, molasses, a bit of citrus hops in the back of the mouth

Mouthfeel: bubbly and smooth

Drinkability: Sip this one, it is full of character.

Maestro, Feb 19, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two 20oz imperial pints. Thanks to msSara for the assist.

A: Extremely black with a dark brown, espresso coffee head. As the head recedes it leaves curtains of lace in its' wake.

S: Aromas of coffee, oak, dark chocolate, and last but not least, hops.

T: See above and add vanilla, roasted malt, rum soaked raisins, espresso, molassas, bitter chocolate, and bitter piney hops.

M: Smooth, thick, and creamy. Coats like melted chocolate. Velvety mouthfeel with amazing balance from the bitter hops in the background.

D: I didn't find the oak flavor intrusive at all. I see it as just another component that rounds out this wonderful beer. Excellent!

GbVDave, Feb 17, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich coal black with a dense brown head.

The aroma of the beer was heavy on the dark roasted and black malts. There were notes of oak and vanilla that got carried up with the alcohol. There were some very subdued earthy notes in the background.

The flavor of the beer was immensely thick and malty. This RIS was heavy on the ash and roast flavors - not so much on the chocolate although there were some chocolate notes there as well. The hops came through with a nice herbal/earthy bitterness to them. The oak aging makes this beer much richer and mature than its non-oaked counterpart.

The mouthfeel was heavy and creamy. The carbonation was dialed in.

This is an outstanding beer from what I feel is an underrated brewery. Great Divide deserves much praise for their beers.

SacoDeToro, Feb 12, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Black as night, pours with a medium heavy brown head with plenty of lacing.

S- This is unlike most of the regular coffee note stouts. Plenty of hops that come right out at you. The hops kinda drown out many of the other smells, but there is a bit of vanilla and some maltyness.

T- Great sweetness with hops that balance out the malt. Great vanilla aromas, coffee, and some berries.

M- Great chewy stout, light carbonation (Fits this beer well). I guess chewy is the bast way to describe this one.

D- Great stout, it just made my top 5 in stouts just for its originality. Will get this one again!

Wavz

wavz, Feb 10, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz bomber bottle in a pint glass.

Poured like motor oil, or molasses. Almost no carbonation apparent, a tiny ring of creamy foam appeared around the edge of the glass. Looks pretty scary.

Quite a bit of hop aroma, which is surprising to me. Never had a really hoppy stout before. This is definitely no guinness.

The taste is insane. There is so much going on here, it's hard to know where to begin. A significant hop presence, an odd creamy grapefuit taste, some roastiness, a faint vanilla note, and then a bitter finish. The transitions between flavors are quite confusing.

Pretty low carbonation, as expected, and fairly thick, but the bitterness allows it to finish cleanly without any sticky residue.

Not bad, overall, but at 9.5%, one is all I'd want at a time. Interesting, but I don't know if I'd buy it again.

Torchiest, Feb 05, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a tall 20oz. mug. Almost completely opaque black color with a thick dark brown head; beautiful beer. Aroma was everything I remember from the last time I had this beer. I have long considered this one of my absolute favorite beers. The price is the only thing keeping me from enjoying it more often. The taste was just as good if not better than I remember it. Deep undertones of both very dark chocolate and strong espresso, neither of which are too overpowering, just almost perfectly delicious. The alcohol in the mouthfeel is almost nonnoticable. This is without question one of my favorite beers, especially in the winter. Perfect for any special occasion.

atsprings, Feb 04, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark opaque black color. Nice one finger dark brown head. I love the color of the head on this beer. Lots of spotty lacing

Sweet roasted malts on the nose. Espresso and dry cocoa with some salt water. Hints of vanilla in the finish as well as alcohol.

The taste is full of bitter sweet cocoa and roasted sweet malts. Deep espresso flavors and a nice bitter hop finish. The oak is evident in the finish and seems to smooth out some of the sweetness that Yeti usually has. You can really notice the vanilla in the oak in the background. The oak flavors help balance out some of the sweetness as well.

Very full bodied. Goes down very smooth, but you'll want to sip this one to really appreciate all of the complexities. Quite drinkable, a real treat in the evening to sip and relax with. The oak notes in the finish really add a layer of sophistication to this already amazing brew.

Ieatlambfries, Feb 02, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Black as night, letting no light pass through. Medium brown head, very fluffy with large bubbles. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet chocolate aroma with hints of dark fruitiness and everything is very bready.

T - Lets see here...rich milk chocolates, raisiny fruits, some coffee, bready malts, and finally a faint cinnamon spice. Aftertaste is a powdery milk chocolate.

M - Very filling, smooth and slightly chalky.

D - Little more could be asked from an RIS. One of the finest stouts you can get in my area and for only 5 bucks a bomber (cheapest I've seen it), this shit rocks.

umustdrink, Jan 30, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a almost totally black color with massive tannish head.
Smell is of roasted malt with a strong whiskey-like background
Taste is very non-impressive. Austerely dry with strong alcohol notes. Taste is also somewhat medicinal.
Leaves a strong alcohol, whisky, medicinal taste in the mouth.
I am not a whiskey fan, and this beer was totally disapponting to me. It was difficult to fininsh half a glass.

tgbljb, Jan 28, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Bomber poured into a chalice it forms a meaty brown head that is frothy and leaves sticky lace. Solid black jones.

Wow. First impression was "how can I get my hands on more of this SOON!!". Its an in your face brew with incredible depth and character. Oak aging an Imperial stout is a perfect match. I think it gives it the added balancer that it needs. Nice charred malt type base is challenged by a huge oaked mcgillicutty and then tempered by a nice bitter edge from the hop,charred combo. Carbonation is perfect, sharp enough to crispen it up just a bit and then its gone. Aftertaste rolls back to the charred malts and a bit of coffee.

Notes: Damn, I'm really becoming an Imperial stout mark, I'm seeing a trend. This has to be one of the best I've had to date. Some of the Oak aged brews I've had I felt they were misguided or sometimes it just didn't fit or improve the brew. This is the polar opposite of that generalization. Oak good. Yeti good.

DogFood11, Jan 27, 2007