Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
pbr85

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bomber that I shared with jslot38...
A: Pours a ridiculously deep jet black with a frothy, inch and a half brown head. One of the best looking beers I've ever seen.
S: Chocolate and toffee malts with some earthy hops.
T: Consensus is that it tastes amazing. Thick chocolate taste with some caramel flavor mixed in. Hop presence is ridiculous for an IPA let alone a stout. Mostly earthy/flowery hops with some grass flavors mixed in. Finishes bitter with much hop flavor. Only downside is that the hops blow out much of the malt flavors, which are delicious but short-lived.
M: Thick and creamy. Pretty standard for a stout.
D: Clearly one of the best stouts I've ever had. The hop presence is refreshing, though this is probably not the stout I would pick if I were in the mood for a malty blast. Overall, a very delicious and impressive beer.

04-22-2006 21:54:11 | More by pbr85
jslot38

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Presentation: 22 oz Bomber shared with pbr85.

Appearance: Wow... simply put, amazing. Lovely cascading effect as a dark tan and solid head forms over a pitch black body. Doesn't look like its going anywhere, we shall wait and see. Lacing is wonderful, layers of it just sticking to my glass at all points. Yes, it stayed around, perfect.

Smell: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a touch of caramel, hoppy eathiness.

Taste: A nice hoppy abbrasivness that just bursts open the fload gates to an amazing flood of chocolate, coffee, vanilla beans, earth ridden biscuit, a touch of caramel. The chocolate is dark, the coffee is roasted, and there is a nice smokiness that accompanies it. 75 IBUs, no kidding.

Mouthfeel: Not sure I've ever had a stout that has laid on my tongue quite like this one. Absolutly slick with a perfect level of carbonation.

Drinkability: Who cares? One, two, three, I'm pretty sure I'd ask for more of this one all night.

Notes: Great Divide has absolutly amazed me. Storm King falls short of this beauty. Absolutly amazing appearance, I didn't even want to disturb it, but thankfully I did, and oh what did I find but a wonderful experience.

04-22-2006 21:53:08 | More by jslot38
jokelahoma

Missouri

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Poured a nice, creamy and completely opaque black, with a fairly large, khaki colored head that stayed with the beer almost all the way down the glass as I drank. Quite a nice appearance, actually. Exactly what you'd expect when looking at an Imperial Stout.

The aroma, however, was not what you'd expect. I picked up faint traces of the vanilla-ish wood character, even more faint traces of some roastiness, but huge, huge amounts of hops. Much hoppier than I'd have expected, almost as though they changed their minds halfway through an imperial stout and decided to make an imperial IPA instead. It's not the IBUs that are off (75, per the website), it's just that all 75 are very much in your face. It isn't bad, mind you, which is why I still gave it a 4.0 on smell, but it isn't exactly what one would expect either.

The taste, unfortunately, continues along this hop line. I do get teasing hints that there's a delicious ADS underneath this hop blanket. Subtle vinous fruitiness sneaks through now and again, giving it almost a port character. The roasted malts add a flavor component that is quite nice, when they can be heard above the cacophany of hoppiness. Vanilla from the oak, black currant flavors... all of those appear to be in there, but they are just buried under the hop flavors and aromas. From the piney, resinous taste the hops leave in my mouth, I'm going to assume they use Chinook hops. Whatever it is, it just seems out of balance to me, considering the style they're brewing.

The mouthfeel is, conversely, almost perfect for an impy stout. It's not chewy, by any means, but you definitely know you are drinking something. Rather milky, perhaps a tad oily, but wonderful.

This is not something I'm likely going to grab again. It isn't bad. Truly it isn't. As stated above, there are hints of a brilliant beer in there. The hops -- and more to the point, the variety of hops and when they're added to the boil -- just overwhelm the excellent beer that's trying to get out. I didn't hate this, but I wanted so badly to like it more than I did.

04-22-2006 02:32:59 | More by jokelahoma
EPseja

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Ego for scoring this one and sharing it with me and my sister to rate.

Served from a 22oz. bottle in a snifter at just below cellar temperature and allowed to warm.

A - Thick and syrupy pour. Very very dark brown with crimson highlights. Starts with a decent dark cocoa brown head that diminishes to nothing in well under a minute. Lacing is almost non existant, but this beer has huge legs like a pinot noir. Decent, but mostly nondescript for the style.

S - Buttery chocolate and coffee. Raisins and dark molasses. Notes of fresh green hoppiness and some alcohol. All nicely blended.

T - Dark sweet friuts in the front with some mild vanilla. Middle is super round and dessert-like with notes of cane-sugar sweetened espresso an dark chocolate cake. Back of the tongue is hugely drying with a bitter hop kick. Alcohol is detectable in the finish, but not too much so.

M - Super creamy to start, although a tiny bit large and not as slick as I was hoping for. With a rise in temperature, the mouthfeel definitely improved.

D - Delicious and smooth as an after dinner drink. Big flavors and big character. Easy going down.

04-19-2006 12:42:19 | More by EPseja
Bleedingshrimp

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a tulip. Black as coffee with a nice inch of chocolate milk head which fades shortly but leaves some nice lacing...overall the best appearance I've seen for the style. The smell is vinous. Pears, chocolate and coffee blend nicely and you can clearly make out the scent of fresh hops. Taste is pretty amazing, coffee and chocolate followed by some slightly sweet raison, fig and vanilla flavors. There is a nice and suprising belgian-like spiciness in the middle followed by some bourbon and vanilla tastes that really shine through as the brew warms. Lots of nice oily hops coat the tongue and linger bitterly in the aftertaste...didn't see that coming from a stout. Alcohol is hidden quite deceptively in the taste. Just a big, complex beast. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and perfect in my opinion. Drinkability is hindered slightly because of the abv and richness but I could easily polish off two bombers of this in a night. Overall one of my favorite beers from the stout family and one I could enjoy over and over again and maybe get just a bit more out of it everytime. Wonderful.

04-17-2006 03:22:47 | More by Bleedingshrimp
PatYoda

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

This one pours almost black with a small head that sticks around as long as it takes me to finish the beer. Very inviting. The smell is richly decadent and very much like the regular non oak aged yeti. Very milk chocolatey with some coffee in there.

The taste adds some interesting flavors especially a very distinctive dry oakiness. A tasty vinous aspect shows up. There's also a little too much alcohol detectable here especially in the finish, which is also characterized by some bittering hops.

The mouthfeel seems too thin for a double stout. It could use a little more substance. The alcohol harshness also contributes in a negative way here. Overall, this is a very good offering but I prefer the regular Yeti over this one by a pretty wide margin.

04-16-2006 19:53:22 | More by PatYoda
Backer2004

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Not a bad beer after takiing 45 plus days off for Lent. At first it seemed just too much alcohol and hops, but as you finish the beer the smell and taste are really enjoyable. Lots of raisins and plums, great dark color and nice drinkability.

Not for everybody, but those who like Russian Imperial Stouts would enjoy this.

04-16-2006 01:52:15 | More by Backer2004
phisig137

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a tap at capital ale house, this beer is absolutely black, with no light shining through. A thick brown head lasts a long time, and leaves a cap on the beer, and tremendous lacing on the glass.

Aroma: dark malts, bourbon, vanilla, and alcohol.

Flavor is nicely balanced, showing loads of vanilla, oak, sweet malts, pressure treated lumber(in a pleasant way), and molasses.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, full, and chewy. But drinkability suffers a bit. I drink a LOT of imperial stouts, but for some reason, I had to drink this one very slowly. By the end, it was almost a struggle to finish the 12 oz glass.

Very nice beer over all though, as are most of the offerings from Great Divide.

04-13-2006 03:06:20 | More by phisig137
briman

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark black with a half inch dark brown head. Retains well, and settles into nice lacing.

Smell of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee aromas. The chocolate seems to dominate until it starts to warm up, then all the other aromas come through.

Taste starts off with chocolate, and coffee. I get some mild vanilla in the finish, but not as much as I expected after reading the "on bottle" descripton. Strong dark roasted malt bitterness lingers in the finish as well. Burnt taste is more mellow compared to regular Yeti, so for me this is a slightly better beer.

Nice medium to full body, not overly carbonated...seems just right for this beer. Definately a beer I could drink more of, but probably just one in a single setting.

04-10-2006 05:09:59 | More by briman
MUSHROOMCLOUD

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

A - 2" dense camel colored head. Excellent retention. Thick, sticky lace. As black as black can be.

S - Thick with roasted malt. Cream. Booze. Hint of hops.

T - Dark fruit (fig, raisin). Caramel. Vanilla. Coffee. Big roasted malt. Hops are in perfect balance. Boozy finish. So mellow and smooth for such a huge beer.

M - Between a medium and full bodied mouthfeel. Mid-level carbonation. Long, long finish.

D - Incredible drinkability. Best double/imperial stout that I have had yet. So smooth. What a treat!!!

04-10-2006 00:51:49 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
Winter

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours motor-oil black in color with a thick rocky, brown head. Aroma consists of chocolate and roasted malt. The hops provide a piney nose to it. You can detect oak in the aroma as the beer warms slightly. Thick, coating mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Smooth front with flavors of chocolate and roasted malt. Midway the malt takes on a more burnt taste and the flavor turns slightly bitter from the hoppiness. Strong expresso roast and piney hop bitterness towards the back. Risidual oak and chocolate linger in the long enjoyable finish. The 9.5% alcohol is masked very well which makes this dangerously drinkable!

04-07-2006 02:42:47 | More by Winter
bditty187

Nebraska

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Black in hue with some dried blood influences, opaque. Is there a finer sight than a pitch-black stout? Brunette head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. This beer has some of the most attractive foam I have ever seen. Head retention was excellent; the bubbles were slow to fade to a thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized but there was plenty of it. No matter how I dissect it, this is a damn fine looking beer!

My nose is failing me… I don’t smell much. I get jabbing notes of hops, pine mainly. The malt dances in the background, roasted coffee, chocolate, and vanilla covered coconut. It’s not all that woody (check that, it took a while but the oak really started to come through, quite nice!). Like the regular Yeti, the nose just didn’t blast out of the glass like I had hoped. In the distant background are hints of dark fruits and apples. Overall, it has moderate potency, at best. I am disappointed with the bouquet. It is pleasant enough but I wanted more. Sue me. I wanted a nose bigger and better that regular Yeti. IMO, this is no better or worse, the oak adds a little but hides other aspects. Inviting, nevertheless.

The palate is nice. Should Yeti be “nice”? Hell no, the palate should strike blows down upon my taste buds destroying them. I should feel this beer in my core. I don’t. Okay, maybe my expectations were out of whack. This is a beefy beer. This is a flavorful beer. This is a complex beer. Okay… it is growing on me. I found it bitter upfront with citrus rinds and pine trees, lingering bitterness (which is to die for). In the middle are hints of apples, wood, burnt sugar, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, figs, and various other dark fruits. Long lingering aftertaste, it is very sweet with kisses of wood and bitterness. I have been disappointed with the nose and the palate, for the first half of the bottle at least, but MY GOD did this beer grow on me. What did I taste earlier? This beer finishes strong; raw alcohol burn at the end. This is Yeti! Wow.

Medium/medium-full in body, I still think the body is a tad to thin but its tolerable… low but natural carbonation, pleasant mouthfeel. I’d like it to be hardier.

Drinkable? Hell freaking yes. Delicate, succulent… delicious; I am sold. Yep, this is good. It is better than regular Yeti. It seems darker, hotter, rawer, and the wood does add depth. This beer flies solo wonderfully. I don’t have any desire to pair food with it. I want more bombers. I purchased my bottle in Lawrence, KS. I will get more. This stuff is magic. Seek it out.

04-06-2006 17:13:21 | More by bditty187
aforbes10

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a very nice looking beer. Very dark and syrupy looking. caramel colored head. nose has some chocolate in it, but also a lot of alcohol. taste is kind of dry and not as sweet as it could be (as i'd like it to be). the alcohol isn't all that well hidden either. Nice roasty flavor, some unidentifiable taste on the front end (maybe this is the oak?). thick mouthfeel, the alcohol is really coming on too strong by the end. Overall, not the best stout ive had but it is pretty good and heavy enough to make me smile.

04-03-2006 17:55:39 | More by aforbes10
doubleipa

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

One of my favorites. Big dark head, excellent lacing, and dark, dark, dark. Aroma is of chocolate, oak, and vanilla. There is some hops bitterness, but not too much to overpower the oakiness. This one feels real warm going down. I've had the non-oak Yeti and it's very much different than the oak aged. Drinkability is good if you want to linger over a nice bottle for a looong while. I don't think I could drink more than one of these in a seating.

04-03-2006 17:50:29 | More by doubleipa
bashiba

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Drank side by side with the regular Yeti to compare the 2.

Poured a dark black with ruby highlights and tons and tons of thick creamy dark tan head that left tons of lacing and had excellent retention.

Smell is full of vanilla, bourban, and chocolate.

Taste is full of oak flavors, with vanilla, bourban, charred wood, minor chocolate and burnt malts making a more subtle appearance. The hop bitterness is there, but is very subdued by the oakyness and semi sweet malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a nice warming to it.

Overall very drinkable, smooth and tasty. Is strikingly different than its regular brother. Lacking in the bitterness but making up for it with the additions that the oak flavors bring.

04-03-2006 00:48:41 | More by bashiba
Blakaeris

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours pitch black. Head is tan creamy goodness.

Smell is bitter dark grain, with the swetness of vanilla, chocolate, and nutmeg.

Taste is dominated by the woody oak flavor. Definite vanilla notes. Mild chocolate bitterness. Surprising sweetness. Spices add complexity. Alcohol is present throughout the experience but doesn't give away the high ABV.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and surprisingly soft and creamy.

This is a very interesting brew. Plenty of oak flavoring, maybe too much for my taste. I'm not sure yet. Still a great brew. It is amazing how different it is from the original Yeti stout.

04-03-2006 00:41:57 | More by Blakaeris
Gavage

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: deep black in color with a thick 2"+ head that looked like a dollop of chocolate mousse, very frothy and creamy looking.

Smell: some mild roasted malts and chocolate were noticeable, but somewhat light from what I expected.

Taste: this is a meal in a glass. Thick roasted malts, chocolate, molasses, hint of vanilla, alcohol, strong bitterness, and a very soft hint of bourbon. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Smooth at the start, almost syrupy at the finish. Aftertaste is long on the roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol.

Drinkability: Definitely good, but can' t give it a higher score with the noticeable alcohol levels. A must try if you enjoy the regular Yeti.

03-25-2006 13:48:16 | More by Gavage
ddarity

Oklahoma

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Really nice Imperial Stout. Nice aroma but a little subdued. Subtle tones of alcohol in the nose which I believe is appropriate for the style. Smooth lingering mouthfeel and overall very drinkable. Nice warming sensation. I really enjoyed this beer. I am realitively new to the style but this sample really makes me want to know more.

03-21-2006 02:47:55 | More by ddarity
Optimat0r

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

appearance - basically the same as regular Yeti, dark and more dark, thick and heavy.

smell - similar to regular yeti but not quite as chocolaty.

taste - good, but not great. not as outrageously rich as regular Yeti, but still damn powerful. less chocolate flavors, maybe a hint of 'vanilla' as the bottle says, but not much. very deep but the flavors dont seem to mix as well; the aftertaste comes off as sharp alcohol.

mouthfeel - ok at best, very oily, and the strong alcoholic aftertaste lingers.

drinkability - good for a small serving at a time...i honestly dont know how someone could sit down and quaff the whole bomber, let alone more than one. its just too rich and sweet and the alcoholic aftertaste is wearing. like trying to drink a giant, thick milkshake. definitely a quality beer, but not as 'refined' as id hoped and way overpriced ($8 for a bomber?)

03-20-2006 05:05:47 | More by Optimat0r
IrishRedRock

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Thick and ominously black, just like the non-oaked version, with a thick brown well retaining head. Chocolate covered plums soaked in vanilla and whiskey sums up the nose. Silky smooth and lightly carbonated; oaky, pine notes up front, bitter dark chocolate with a lingering hop bitterness and smoky vanilla extract and roasted coffee beans in the finish. Alcohol gives a nice warmth in the aftertaste. Highly complex, yet I can't shake the feeling that I like the non-oaked version a little better, as I'm thinking the vanilla flavoring seems to take away something from the whole. Having said that, this is still an excellent an interesting, complex brew...I just happen to prefer the original version, but that's just me. This is still a damn tasty and warming brew.

03-12-2006 23:31:54 | More by IrishRedRock
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours like transmission fluid, but too black for that; huge coffee flavored head. Good lacing & head retention

Smell: Malty toastiness, some alcohol & fruitiness

Taste: Vanilla strained through wood, malt, fruit, vodka &hops. Dry vanilla finish

MF: Silky, rich & yum

Drinkabilty: Super despite the abv. So different than yeti, wow, both great takes on this style

03-03-2006 05:49:54 | More by russpowell
Matthew

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Big thick black liquid fills my pint glass, huge dirty brownish/tannish head. Tons of thick stickly lacing all around the glass.
Bittersweet coffee and chocolate witha touch of alchohol. Some hints of dark ripe berries. Dark brown suger is there also.
Big rich creamy chocolate kick with a dark roasted coffee around the edges give way to a nice hoppy bite and alcohol warming.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied, not nearly as heavy and chewey as expected.
Decent drinkability for an imperial stout.

03-03-2006 04:48:36 | More by Matthew
shroompod

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Very dark with ruby red faintly coming out the side when held up to light.Very little head which quickly retreats. Empty reveals it's not bottle conditioned.

Not much of an aroma, very slight floral quality.

For a lack of aroma, it makes up for in taste. A sharp dark maltiness/coffee flavor that intertwines with the hops very well.

It's moutfeel is long , with hints of the hops creeping out of the corners of my mouth minutes later. <Chewy/Chebacca is a relative of the Yeti I hear>

Overall this beer will grace my fridge again, I'd like a side by side with the non-oaked.

03-03-2006 01:42:51 | More by shroompod
mcowgill

I was wondering when I might meet a perfect beer. Well, alas, I found one. This beer is truly exceptional to me. It pours a wonderful thick black creating a large creamy tan head. Lacing remains all over the glass. I get numerous aromas from this beer: vanilla, oak, whiskey, malts. Beautiful! The taste is incredible and very complex actually. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and even a fair amount of hops which is great. I feel like I'm drinking an amazing desert. It's criminal that I only paid $6.99 for this bomber, haha! The mouthfeel is thick and almost syrupy. For such a complex beer, this is so drinkable. Thank you Great Divide for this amazing brew!

03-01-2006 00:31:51 | More by mcowgill
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

On the coldest day this winter, I decided, what the hell, I'll pay $9.00 for a bomber of this stuff. Worth it? Sort of. Buy it agian? No. I was a little hesitant because I did not like the regular Yeti, too burnt. However, this one has taken that characterstic, mellowed it, and added some bark.

Very nice oaking, as I mentioned slighty less burnt than it's brother, coming across with nice roasted malts, followed by a twist of vanilla and clove. Aftertaste is mellowed by dark choclate and hazlenut. Normally I don't like reviewing beers with so many similes , but this ones deserves it.

Another fantastic offering from Great Divide. Too expensive for my tastes though. Worth a try.

02-28-2006 02:43:50 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS