Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks go to HardTarget for the chance to sample this one...split this with fellow BA's cmaruschak and mmmmbeeeer.

Appearance: An oily black pour with a tan head that retains beautifully. The head fades to wispy lines of carbonation.

Smell: Prominent oak, rum soaked raisins, alcohol, and maybe a touch of bourbon.

Taste: Oak is harsh and up front, vanilla bean, dry cocoa, burnt marshmallows, and a ghost-like smokiness. After a while, my palate felt like I had been licking charcoal.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly slick and creamy with a long, lingering finish.

Drinkability: Glad I shared this one. A definite sipper.

Notes: The oak is too prominent. I know this is the new fad/trend/gimmick is to put everything in some kind of barrel to age it. That being said, I wish the fad would fade. I'll take my regular Yeti from now on.

mattcrill, Jun 26, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Deep black in color, with a modest tan head, completely opaque, with attractive scattered lacing.

Aroma: Deep, dense aroma of dark bitter chocolate, as well as coffee, and alcohol, very pleasing.

Taste: Opens with strong notes of stale coffee, and wood, there is a pronounced harsh chemical bitterness, with notes of rubber and plastic. A bitter medicinal note lingers on well past the end of the taste. The harsh chemical qualities fade somewhat, but never entirely disappear as the beer warms. The stale coffee notes remain constant. Finishes very dry with excessive tannins.

Mouth feel: Sof, smooth, full in body, little carbonation, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: I really wanted to like this beer, but I was not able to. The ordinary Yeti is far better. The harsh chemical character ruins would could have been a world-class beer.

Pegasus, Jun 24, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +4%

Opaque black colour with mahogany highlights. Dark brown head, a bit rocky, with good head retention and lacing. During the first pour, I could smell the malt from across the bar. Plenty of malt and roasted in the aroma, also a bit vinous, ripe fruits and a soft bit of alcohol. But the real player here was the vanilla aromas from the oak. Very prominent. Even before noticing the flavours, the mouthfeel was overwhelming. Chewy and creamy with a heavy body. The carbonation was incorporated very well and contributed to the thick, viscous texture. Vanilla was very strong in the flavour as well, but a little more balanced. Alcohol was apparent as well, lending to a whiskey or liquor-like quality. Still, there's a lot of roasted malt and coffee, ripe fruits and chocolate, especially as it warms. Finishes dry with alcohol warmth, malt and vanilla. The aftermath on the palate is similar to a shot of quality whiskey. This is a big, complex beer. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's definitely a "sharing beer".

DrJay, Jun 24, 2005
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

App: Black with brown head. Laces glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee with a hint of vanilla. Hop spiciness there as well, but this beer didn't seem all that aromatic to me.

Taste: Lots of roasted coffee and chocolate. Hints of vanilla. Lots of hop bitterness there also and lingers in the aftertaste. Dry and bitter aftertaste almost IPA like.

Mouth: Just a tad on the light side but smooth with good amount of carbonation.

Drink: Fine for a double stout.

Overall: This is an above average double stout and interesting. The oak seems to add to the complexity, and balances the hoppiness well. I love stouts and this is very solid and very very good.

ejquin, Jun 18, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Jet black with big frothy tan head. This beer left a thick encompassing lace on the glass, perhaps the most lacing that I've seen, with a thick, lasting head.

Smell: Sweet chocolate, coffee, roasted malt - basically what you would expect from this style. Very pleasing.

Taste: Lots of hop bitterness up front followed by chocolate and a hint of alcohol, and finally, some intensely good coffee flavors on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A little lighter than I expected, as it looked very thick in the pour, but still excellent. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability: All of the above characteristics work together perfectly in harmony to make this an outstanding beer. I could drink this beer everyday.

klewis, Jun 15, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Presentation: 22oz bomber with the silver foil. No born on or freshness dating, but I'd imagine this one could sit for a bit. Purchased as a single from Piccadilly in Champaign.

Appearance: Opaque black hole-like liquid with a dark tan head. It quickly dissapated to a ultra sticky. No light streaming through and limited carbonation after the initial pour.

Nose: Alcohol, vanilla and brown sugar sitting in a thick Italian espresso

Taste: Vanilla mixed with tasty roasted malts. Once it warms a bit, you have the oak flavors mingled with the bitter middle and finish. Lingers on the tongue for quite a bit.

Mouthfeel: Middle to heavy, but creamy, mouthfeel. Hops linger in the mouth

Drinkability: Yes

Dithyramb, Jun 12, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Presentation: 22 ounce Bomber, my bottle looks exactly like the one in the BA Database. A silver foil covers the logo’d crown cap. No strength or freshness listed, but it proudly states that this one is the sophisticated sibling - Oak Aged yeti Imperial Stout is 75 IBU’s.

Appearance: Jet black body has a thick darkly roasted body on the pour. Lazy carbonation slowly forms a nice vanilla brown head blanket as the ‘chilled’ Yeti warms to room temperature and the dissolved carbon dioxide takes advantage of its first time exposure to the atmospheric pressure and gently escapes. Head looses its appearance after a few minutes when it stabilizes to a fluffy halo ring and a broken bubbled surface,

Nose: Thick vanilla beans sting the nose with a balancing crushed brown sugar middle. Roasted malts are laced with an alcohol soaked wood character which lingers around for some time.

Taste: Roasted malts mingle and loose the battle with soft sweet vanilla beans in the beginning. Middle races with a smooth creamy vanilla tarnished oily hop puddle. Some wood but doesn’t start until the middle and is delicate in nature in the back end. Finishes with a nice roasted hoppy bitterness, even in the lingering end long after the swallow, the hops are still pretty dominating and often mask the oak at times.

Mouthfeel: Creamy feel on the palate, woody nature but the hop oils fill the mouth and coat with a slick vanilla flavored hop oil. Slick finish and a long lasting reminder of your meeting with the Yeti.

Drinkability: Highly Enjoyable, whilst it could be argued that the high hop oils are a little too much at times I actually like that aspect, and the subtle vanilla oak flashes that punctuate this Imperial Stout.

Overall: A big hitting Oak Aged Imperial Stout that retains enticing hop bitterness with a smooth creamy vanilla trait.

Many Thanks to BigHugeYeti for this one. Much Appreciated.

TheLongBeachBum, Jun 11, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I remember the bitterness of the regular version of Yeti being the only thing that kept me from liking it a whole lot more than I did. Luckily with this iteration the almost overdone hops are reined in by the aging. The beer is thoroughly black with a thick dark brown head. Sticky rings of lacing. Big chocolate and hops in the nose. Rich and velvety with lots of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. The vanilla advertised on the bottle is there in trace amounts. The finish is where the hops kick in again but they aren’t overwhelming as in the non-aged version. As it stands I liked this one a lot.

Dogbrick, Jun 08, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow, this is the best beer I've ever had, I can't wait to get it again. Pours an obsidian black, with a light brown head that rises to the top. First smell is of vanilla, no doubt from the oaking. The theres a nice roasty smell, with some hops behind it. Man this tastes good, oaky with vanilla notes, bitter roast coffee, some hops. The aftertaste was indescribable, exactly like the aftertaste of a very fine oaked chardonnay, just amazing. The mouthfeel was nice and thick, perfect consistency, not overly thick and just right, very smooth and tasty. This isn't an everyday beer and I don't think I'd try to drink a whole bomber by myself but this is definately a beer to get for special occasions. Beer I recommend most.

Viggo, May 29, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A different bigger experience than the regular Yeti. A very drinkable imperial stout, creamy. Black with mocha top. Definite vanilla from the cask. Lace. Medium mouthfeel, smooth, hoppy, very balanced. The oak gives it that 4th dimension. Thanks Viggio.

had a month later and downrated as picked up too much coconut, chamomille, while oak still worked. Wasn't as smooth.

Sammy, May 24, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Black cola color--small head of dark tan foam is formed and it is leaving some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Smell is that of dark woods, cherries, and walnuts with some rather vinous character to each of these.

Taste seems to be lacking in complexity compared to others of this style. Only problem is I love this style so its hard for me to give a bad score here because it is still extremely tasty. There is also some spiciness from the alcohol and that is a slight negative although at 9.5% abv, its gonna be tough to disguise.

One other thing that needs to be mentioned here is the price. This baby is expensive. $8 for a 22oz bomber. I know its oak aged and all but you really cant get a strong oaky flavor off it--I think oak aging is probably better for beers that might be slightly lighter in color like Arrogant Bastard. For an American brewery, I would expect it to be slightly less expensive also. I believe these people ( Great Divide) also do the Hercules IIPA and I think that is probably a tad better for the respective style than this one.

rousee, May 23, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

The pour from the 22 oz bomber is dirty motor oil in color, head is a nice chocolate colored mass that retains well.

Smell: chocolate, caramel, roasted coffee and toffee malts

Taste is quite good. Hops are at the forefront. This slowly gives way to the toasted malts which blend into a subtle baker's chocolated finish. Hops are present throughout the drink, but they allow the other ingredients passage in the later part of the taste. This brew finished with a nice dry smoky character and some residual coffee tinge, quite pleasant. Mouthfeel is big and chewy. Alcohol content makes it's presence known, but is well integrated into the taste. Not too intrusive, although the taste lingers for quite a while. A very tasty Imperial Stout. I don't know if it is any better than the original Yeti as I have not tried it. Not a cheap brew, but it is worth trying.

sinistermadman, May 22, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

The beer pours a beautiful deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a rich black and chocolate malt scent with a vanilla oak barrel aroma; very nice. The taste is great. It has an intense, malty flavor that boasts of black, chocolate, and roasted malts along with loads of hops in the finish. The oak aging adds a mellow vanilla quality. It goes down easy and finishes dry and earthy. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one of the best imperial stouts I've tried. It is so flavorful; a pleasure to drink.

WesWes, May 21, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Split this one with the wife immediately after drinking the regular Yeti Imperial Stout.

Appearance: Dark black beer. Frothy mountainous tan head with excellent retention.

Aroma: Oak seems subtle. The chocolate and bitter coffee aren't present here like they are in the normal yeti.

Taste: Woody, sharp flavor, reminscent of the oaky sharpness in a chardonay. Tannic. There is a bit of bitterness and roasty character coming through to balance the oak. The mouthfeel is very good and solid.

Notes: Beer is very solid and interesting. The oak aging seems to have diminished some of the Yeti's good qualities. The oak flavor does provide a bit of depth, but it doesn't bring to the table what it covers up, in my opinion.

beerinator, May 21, 2005
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

I haven't been in a "stout phase" lately, so this is the first one I've had in awhile. I was not disappointed. A beautiful looking stout, dark with a large head. Chocolate notes abound. This is a relatively dry stout (reminded me of a stronger Shakespeare). Pleasing all the way through. Easy to drink. Not at the Speedway/Expedition level, as the mouthfeel isn't as full, but a terrific stout nonetheless.

JohnnyDuvel, May 20, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -11.3%

Beautiful deep, dark color. With an impressive dark head that leaves lots of lace. The smell is full of roasted malt. The taste is an intense mix of roast, biscuit, oak and alcohol. It almost tastes like a liqueor. It also leaves a very bitter late aftertaste. The mouthfeel is amazing, very viscous, reminds you of maple syrup. A good beer on occasion, I prefer the regular yeti as the taste is less extreme.

fizzyfred, May 17, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz bomber

Picked two of these up. I've already had the first and am reviewing the second.

The pour yields a massive mocha head that lasts and lasts. TONS of lacing. I had to hold this one up to a bright light to catch a hint of deep dark red around the pitch black. (and in so doing realized my favorite pint glass has a small crack...dang)

Aroma is immediately roasted malt with a certain dark fruit presence very similar to a doppelbock. The oak is fine (meaning tight, not "acceptable") like many single malt scotches. It is almost like the oak is in a narrow spectrum of the nose leaving room for the other content. One other smell I found odd but pleasant was that of bran muffins.

Taste is very complex and intense. Starts with bitter roasted malt and a super dark chocolate (>85 count cocoa.) Then it transitions on to a woody - toffee. Finishes with a really vibrant hop kick, a nice touch. I would really say it rounds the beer out, it is more like when the door hits ya when you don't leave quick enough. I love malt and hops, but this might be a turn off for non hop heads.

I thought the carbonation level was great, and the creamy feel added another layer to an already complex beer.

I love oak, but might have been spoiled by the oak notes in good Scotch. I enjoyed the beer, but it is certainly a big beer that I can't see making it into regular rotation.

Edit: I left a little of the yeti in my glass to warm to room temp. The aroma is absolutely amazing! I think I am going to buy another one so that I can drink it warm (I'm talking 70+ degrees) All of the tastes and smells are amplified way more than the normal "warm up" benefit

hobbes2112, May 17, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -33.1%

My wonderful fiancee got a bottle of this for me for my Birthday. Thanks hon!

Pours beautifully dark and rich, tan head, awsome lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, fruity. Nice there.

Taste-- Overpowering roasted black malt. I need more here, more fruitiness, more sweetness, maybe some hops. It just seems too one dimensional to me. Astringant.

Mouthfeel-- A touch thin for an imperial/double stout.

Drinkability-- No thanks, I'll find other double stouts that are more up my alley.

deejaydan, May 17, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours an opaque purple-black with a thick, dark brown head. Aroma is vinous and malty, fruity and woody, deep and inviting. The oak is already evident.

Taste is rich and bitter, like unsweetened espresso. Darkly malted without much sweetness. Bitterly hopped without being overwhelmed with puckering cheeks. Flavors of chocolate malt, dark roasted coffee and stained wood. The woodiness is apparent but not so much that it dominates the other tastes. No elements of alcohol are detected, although the flavor becomes drier as it warms a little. Aftertaste is bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel is medium but silky smooth. I'm such a fan of the original Yeti that I'm not sure this one benefits from the oak flavors. Yeti is a beer that stands well on its own characteristics and the oak tends to distract the palate. Save the oak barrels for something lighter.

assurbanipaul, May 11, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours with the same great head as the original Yeti and still looks enticing. Has an odd smell I can't recognize, very musty. The brew gained some smoothness and a bit of consistancy on the mouthfeel, but a bit milder on the bitterness. Also, I can tast a little bit of vanilla.
Still a very good beer; however, the oak takes away the other aromas that were in the original yeti, that I liked very much, like coffee, chocolate, and that roastiness. This is my only dislike with this brew. Though, it possesses it's own charicteristics that make it an oak aged IS.

guinnessman, May 11, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

GREAT looking brew....balck with ruby highlights....tanish creamy head with crimson notes....

AWESOME nose....vanilla...brown sugar...a legit woody/oak aroma...great stuff..

.Body is firm....fulll...big brew here...a sipper...creamy, smooth mouthfeel

Nice taste to this....begins creamy and sweet with vanilla and oak...roasted malts too....finishes with a hit of piney bitterness but it is very soft and fits perfectly..only minor complaint is it does not contain an in your face flavor rush...it is more subtle and delicate for an Imperial stout....great taste though...

I am impressed...i did not expect to like this as much as I did...this ia a legit heavy hitter and one I will gladly seek out again...Big time brew here....Big Beer lovers should find this one..

ZAP, May 09, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I am sampling a 22 oz bomber from prAna at room temp in a pint glass.

The beer pours pitch black with a large creamy head foaming up 4 cm easily. There is some cascade action as well. The head develops large craters as it recedes ever so slowly.

Aroma is roasted malt and dark chocolate with some wooden oak scents as well. As I sniff more I also get some brown sugar and molasses, also a faint grassy hop presence shows up.

First sip reveals a very creamy textured and smooth body with small gentle carbonation that rolls softly across my tongue.
Flavor is much more roasty malt and espresso than advertised on the nose. Very deep chocolate and espresso bitter through and through. A hint of sweet vanilla pokes up every once and a while and the finish is slightly dry and oaky, but the primary flavor is espresso bitterness. No hint of the alcohol anywhere which is suprising and well crafted for a 9.5% brew.
This beer would be rad with a bowl of vanilla ice cream!

A very nice beer that I would definately quest for again. Glad I have another bottle!

sulldaddy, May 08, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a damn opaque black color with a dark brown fluffy head. Smells of deep dark chocolate, thick sugary malts, coffee, alcohol and wood. Some hops are definitely present in the nose as well. Taste is thick and very complex. Hops upfront, but do not overdominate the taste. The thick sweet malt backbone stands up to the bitterness. The taste is very roasty. The dark malts are reminiscent of baking chocolate and slight coffee. There is some definite dark fruity sweet tones to this brew. There seems to be a lot of sugars left in this beer that makes the body so sweet and full. Some definite subtle oaky notes are in the flavor and emerge more once the brew warms. The mouthfeel is very thick and sugary as mentioned before, nice for a big stout. Pretty drinkable other than the slight alcohol prescence. Great.

bnuttz, May 06, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

This brew pours a viscous black, with a cinnamon colored head. Its aroma begins with malt, bourbon, and slight anise and settles to sweet malt, almost to cocoa, but not quite. The mouth feel is full but not too thick, the carbonation is gentle. The foretaste is bitter wood and hops for an instant, but it sooths to a robust malt, and an effervescent hop bitterness in the nasal passages and the back of the tongue. A well balanced imperial stout, with a clean, fulfilling finish.

jim45804, May 05, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A dark planet stirs.
Big and black massed Earth creates mountainous jagged dirty brown snow peaks.
The snow melts into a small shallow pond after time aloft.
Tons of snowflakes and ash blow across the oily sky.

Charred hillside forests still greet the air with its scorched greenery bringing a fiery realm of blackened resinous heat.
The Valley below was indeed thick with vegetation.
Where once stood big branching oaks, tall climbing hop vines, supple vanilla bean pods, forever fields of barley grain and oat grain, and bountiful crops of cocoa plants, now sits a blackened scattered skeleton of leaves, twigs, branches, and trunks.
Whisky-like gases steam up from the black char of ash.
The air fills with a windy oakened oat sweet dust now as it wafts about enveloped within a heavy chocolate fog brought on by a period of cooling.

The air brings taste with it.
Charred barley and heavy set cocoa slip onto your tongue.
Breathe more inward and find hop vines still growing among the blackened vanilla pods.
Oily and resinous charred backwash builds on recourse as you exhale.
The gaseous whisky makes its way to the back of the throat.
Yet you do not choke.
It floats and coats much like the gassy ground from which it was purged.
It burns, but not more then the air itself.
Nothing of the mighty oaks has survived it seems.
Twisted, fallen, and smokened trunks at best.
The heavy chocolate fog amidst the atmosphere helps lift a cool transition inbetween breaths.

You can see.
You can feel.
Its no more a path as it is an opening.
Starting wide and almost slippery.
Narrowing as we go deeper into the Valleys' slope.
Quickly now.
The breathing feels somewhat harder now.
The burning takes over.
The char and some gases takes over.
Not unbearable, but smooth as to the gills a of fish underwater.
Again, the chocolate fog breezes across your face cooling the air.
Only left is the charred resin of the Valley below.

Percolating and brimming with new bourne life out of its own ashes.
The surface is torridly smooth from peak to peak.

Life flourishes within its own obliteration
Beautiful; if it were.