Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 4,270

Bottled November 2009.

A- Thick creamy cap with some large bubble formation. Starts to churn and generate from the middle outward this pattern. Solid amount of lacing, eventually a thin raft is leftover in the center of the inky darkness. I miss the milk chocolate, dark brown edged froth.

S- Burnt grain dominates the first wave. Following this is a very faint vanilla that seems to have an artificial edging to it. Something manufactured... industrious... forced. Minor chocolate background that is infused with sharp ethanolic characteristics, and nothing else.

T- First impression is the overwhelming burnt grain and roasted malt domination. There is no holding these flavors back. Acrid and disruptive. Some sharp metallic notes come forth with a bit of alcohol heat.

However, immediately following these hiccups is a nice wooden sweetness, that earthy tone that can only be vanilla. This lingers and exhales away to the finish which is strongly dark chocolate. The finish on this beer is amazing. It is so thick with bitter sweetness that it makes up for the opening and more.

M- Medium bodied, bit thinner than I expected. Carbonation is on the opening and quarter of the way through helping hide the flaws of the flavors. The lackluster thickness doesn't stop the chocolate curtains creeping closely inside my oral crevice.

D- The sharp and acrid opening really detract from the drinkability. Alcohol never fully materializes as a near 10% so I'm thankful for that. It has some complexity in flavors, but it falls short of being amazing. Its a Yeti.. I didn't expect amazing. I'm glad I ticked it, and look forward to finishing out the Yeti series strong. (1,674 characters)

On draft at Lillie's Q.

A - rich, chocolaty brown. I'd say light black if that were on the color wheel. Creamy mocha head with light lacing, mediocre retention.

S - You pick up the oak immediately, followed by biscuity malt and cocoa. Grassy hops are more prominent than I want them to be for this style.

T - chocolate and hoppy. At 75 IBU you pick up the piney hop bitterness more than the toffee and caramel sugars that follow.

M - thick but not too viscous and moderately carbonated.

O - this is a good but not great beer. At this price point, I can find better imperial stouts with more developed flavors which aren't being washed out by too much hop bitterness. (672 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Really dark pour sets beneath a big brown head. Retention isn't great, but the lacing is nice.

S: Really impressed by the amount of chocolate and hops remaining in this one. Oak is there, but underneath everything else, perhaps a bit of booziness.

T: I taste the oak and wood up front, they seem to be a bit subdued. All chocolate next, followed by a nice hit of coffee roastiness and dryness at the end.

MF: Not as thick as I was expecting. The wood taste sort of hangs with you in the back of your throat, not all that pleasant. The bitterness is turned down a peg as well.

O: This was alright. It's pretty rare that aging a stout like this turns out to be a miss, but I actually liked the old label Yeti I recently had over the oak aged version. (756 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Bomber poured into nonic. Deep black with foamy brown head that holds its form throughout the drink. Smells of roasted malts, espresso, chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Flavors are coffee-infused unsweetened brownies, dark fruits, oak, vanilla, and late hop bitterness. Medium-full bodied, creamy, active soft carbonation, and a crisp finish. (338 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz bottle, allowed to warm a little bit and poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours standard stout black. The burnt caramel head rises to an absolutely massive height, and has staying power like crazy. The lacing doesn't quite live up though, keeping the look from being quite perfect. The nose is had a solid balance of dark chocolate and roasty grains. There's also a strong citrus hop presence. Hoppy stouts aren't really my bag, so we'll see how this goes. The great dark chocolate aroma fades a little on my palate, replaced by that general roastiness. Coffee makes itself known, but just barely. Even more than the nose the citrus hops really come through too much here. I prefer my imperial stouts to be malt driven, so this oneis a litle bit of a miss for me. Further accenting the the relative lack of maltiness, is that the body is incredibly light for a 9.5% imperial stout. I'd really like to see a bit more heft behind it. Desipte the light body, the carbonation is just barely there. I suppose it's passable, but just so. Any less and the beer would end up being a bit too syrupy. I can see how some people would like Oak Aged Yeti, but hoppy stouts aren't a favorite of mine, and the oak aging does little to smooth it out. (1,244 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%

bomber into a snifter

a- dark midnight("syrup" according to my girlfriend) with a very lively dark chocolate milk colored 2 finger head, this beer is a void of light, a liquid black hole of deliciousness
s-honestly im a little stopped up due to sinuses but what i could smell is all coffee
t- coffee is definitely there and you get more vanilla and almost a slight milk after taste
m-a very lively feel even after a year, lots of tingle with a full wet finish,no heat or burn from the 9.2
o/d-so far easy to drink, the gf liked her sip, so far the only imp stout shes liked, anyway its good i can see me drinking a whole bomber and enjoying it, im hoping this glass warms up a little so it hopefully will open up a little more (727 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout. (302 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a strong head and pretty lacing stuck around. The smell was woodsy and roasted malt. Dark malty taste at first, but soon the alcohol hits and overpowers things for me. Long hoppy bitter finish. Medium to full bodied, can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A sipping beer for me, no way I can finish a bomber. (325 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A beautiful inky black pour with a tall dark tan that leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S - Strangely, the first thing I notice is the hops followed by a mild fruity scent. Roasted malts, a little oak and coffee are soon to follow.

T - I gave this some originality points, but this really isn't my style. I like the bitterness level and that this is not overly sweet. There is some sort of weird fruity/citrus flavor that clashes with the roasted malt and coffee flavors. Oak is barely detectable.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - I could drink quite a bit of this, but since I don't really enjoy the flavor I moved on pretty quickly. (636 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this with great anticipation into a tulip glass and shared the bomber bottle with a good friend.

It poured a very dark black and an inch tall chocolate milk colored head slowly rose in the glass. It was a fine looking stout. The head remained for most of the beer, continually refreshed by swirling the glass.

I was a little surprised by the hoppiness of this beer, although the label does promote it as a fairly hopped up beer. I found it a little out of place for such a dark stout. Malty and some coffee aromas, with some slight toffiness as well.

This beer had many layers of flavors as it warmed up in the glass. It started quite bitter, very similar to a Bigfoot barley wine. As it warmed, it began to have almost a buttery quality, and the hoppiness definitely mellowed. It still had a very bitter aftertaste, though. I could also taste the hints of vanilla that were promised on the label. I liked this better as it warmed, but still was a bit put off by the high hop content.

It had a stout mouthfeel. Rich, smooth, not overly carbonated, and warming from high ABV which was very well hidden.

Overall, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine than an imperial stout. It was an interesting brew with many levels of flavors, but not my favorite. (1,278 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled date - Oct 16, 2013

A - pours like warm tar. Rich black oil.

S - oak, lots of roasted malt, some chocolate, charcoal, black licorice

T - some old coffee, roast and char from the oak, bakers chocolate, and some bitterness at the end

M - heavy medium feel

O - not my favorite yeti, certainly lives up to the Oak Name (328 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

I had to try this one given all the other wood and barrel-aged beers I've had lately.

Pours a very dark brown with a moderate head that did not last very long. Light smells of chocolate and coffee. Taste reminds me of how I remember those little del Monte pudding tins used to taste. The memory was so strong I actually tasted the metal from the cup. I only got a quick taste of that, so I'm chalking it up to my head and not my tongue.

Mouthfeel was a bit on the thin side for me.

Drinkable with dessert, I'm not a huge fan, though. (542 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

A:Pours black with a brown head that has good retention.
S:A very dry roasty aroma. The dryness is coming from the oak that is also present in the aroma.
T:A very bold dark roast flavor with a bit of dryness. There is some oak woody flavor to it. In the middle there is some chocolate and coffe present along with some spiciness. The end is a little sweet. I haven't had the original Yeti yet so I'm not sure how different the two are, but this one is a good beer.
MF:Medium body with low carobonation.
D: It's good but because of the strong flavor and acohol I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these in a row. It's a great beer to drink if you're in the mood to only drink one. (684 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

The Oak Aged Yeti came in a 22oz bomber and poured black as night with a 2-3 finger foam with a soapy, sudsy lacing with some solid retention.

The aroma was strong oak smell with roasted malts and coffee.

The taste was heavy on the alcohol flavor, vanilla with a sharp bite on finish. At first I could taste the hops, then coffee. In the mouth it was pretty thin for a stout and it has a finish of Kentucky Whiskey from the oak barrels I am sure. Overall a good drink but I prefer the standard Yeti much better. (514 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a very dark brown/black in color with a little bit of head that is gone fast.
Smell is predominantly hops. Not allowing anything else to come through.
Taste is pretty much the same, but you can get some underlying stout characteristics underneath. I'm just simply not a fan of overhoppy stouts the likes of Storm King etc. You can notice that the oak aging has tamed it a bit. Definitely helps. (401 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

This was good, but I was a lttle disappointed after how much I enjoyed the Yeti (not oak aged). This poured a similar jet black with a thick, dark tan head that lingered well and left good lacing. Aroma was not as pronounced as the original, but still had hints of the malty sweet chocolate-toffee. The first thing that hit me upon sipping was the thin body, which surprised me. The taste was still there, but not as pronounced as Yeti. As the beer warmed, the alcohol became more noticeable, and left a long, warming finish. Not bad at all, but I never did catch the oak scent or taste,and given a choice, I’ll drink Original Yeti any time. (642 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Purchased from Hy-Vee Grocery in Sylvis, IL. Bottled on date is Nov. 05 2010. Poured into La Fin du Monde tulip. Tasting notes with Emily.

Appearance: Pitch black. Very nice espresso/copper color two finger head. Great lacing around the glass.

Smell: Oak nose. Almost a boozy nose, almost. I can detect the alcohol ever so slightly, but it's hard to tell the heavy oak and booze apart to me.

Taste: Heavy on the oak. Cloying smoke coats the back of my tongue. Immediate vanilla, only to give way to more smoke and oak.

Mouth: The moutfeel is lively, but I can't get past the oak. It does have a nice creaminess to it.

Drink and Overall: It is drinkable. I'm glad I'm sharing this bomber. I feel like the oak can be a bit overwhelming. It's a nice beer, I am enjoying it, do enjoy it. (791 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Can't make out the bottled on date, save sometime in 2008.

Pours a thick opaque black. Almost 2 fingers of chocolate milk froth slowly falls leaving sheets of foam which reduce to a fine mesh of lace.

Aroma is boozy, perfume, and chocolate with a noticeable oak character.

Flavor is starts a little boozy and perfume-like, but switches into a smooth chocolate. A hint of roast and good oak pairs with a decent bitterness in the finish. There's also a strong kick of alcohol in the finish.

Smooth, chewy, with an appropriately low level of carbonation.

A solid RIS for sure. But not what I'll reach for when I go for an RIS. (628 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bottle served into sampling glasses.

A- Deep mahogany-black/opaque. Pours with a thin brown head, which fades rapidly, leaving a thin, filmy covering, and some sparse foamy spots.

S- Oak and vanilla notes to be had strongly at first, but fade fairly quickly. Fairly pronounced alcohol bite.

T- A bit of vanilla and sweetness, with hints of coffee, chocolate, and some fruitiness. All of this takes a backseat to the substantial oak finish. Bitterness is fairly substantial, and increased by the oak presence.

M- Low carbonation. Nice and full, with good creaminess.

D- High ABV% and substantial oak presence make this a small-ish quantity sipper IMO.

Future outlook: This stuff was decent, to be sure, but the oak-flavor was just a tad beyond the level I would prefer. Did this tasting in a side-by-side comparison with a 3 year old bottle provided by beveritt, and flip-flopped several times on which incarnation I preferred. A clearly solid beer worth trying, but one I probably won't seek in the near future. If you like Oak-aged beers with substantial oak flavor, this is a beer you will want to try. (1,133 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 9/24/12. Poured from a bomber into a chalice.

A beautiful beer that unfortunately looks better than it tastes. Definitely a complex beer, but the "regular" Yeti is much better. Unfortunately the hops and the vanilla are over shadowed by the booziness of the brew. Difficult to finish an entire bomber, which is typically not an issue for me. Maybe some bottle aging would provide some improvement.

A - Viscous, full bodied, black. Half-finger rocky brown head, which disipates rather quickly. Slight lacing.

S - Boozy, bourbon, chocolate, sweet, roasted malts.

T - Roasted malt, oaky, nice hoppines, some bourbon, lingering alcohol in the finish, subtle vanilla.

MF - Chewy, slick, alcohol hot. (711 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours black with an amber-brown head. Smell of rich sweet maltiness, a little roastiness and a nice bourbony alcohol smell. Any vanilla aroma from the oak is quite minimal which is nice, better than overpowering for me. Taste starts with sweet malt and vanilla and is quickly followed by some roastiness and alcohol combined with a pretty good size pine hop bite in the finish. I've got one of these in the cellar about 1 1/2 years old now and I'd like to try that one, let the malt flavors have more of a chance, my taste buds were pretty well slammed from the hops in this fresh version. Good ris, one I definitely look forward to an aged sample of. (651 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for bringing this one to the tasting. I've had the Yeti and I was impressed. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't stick around long, but leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was just way too hoppy. Nothing came through in the nose other than hops. I wanted some bourbon or oak character here. Nothing other than hops. The flavor was the same way. All of the malts and the great oak character were hidden by the overpowering hops. The body is there, but the drinkability isn't. This could have been so much better without all the hops. (581 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounces served on-tap at Egan's, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a pint glass

Pours a sleek, tar-like black body. It's so dark that I think I see glints of steel blue, like how black hair or fabric would always have a blue gleen to it in 80's comic book color palettes. Slightly less than one finger of saddle/tan colored head sticks around for the entirety of the drink. One of the more impressive feats of head retention I've come across in quite some time. Fantastic.

The draught version of Oak-Aged Yeti isn't very complex on the nose. There's lots of chocolate malt aroma (specifically chocolate malt, not chocolate). Some blunt coffee aromas, and something that's been left in the oven for too long. The hops bring a sharp pine note but not much else. The oak chips come across strongly but don't dominate, thankfully. Still, the oak does nothing more for the nose than give you astringency and vanillin. There's nothing wrong with this aroma profile; in fact, these are all aromas that the beer should be giving off. They're just blunt in nature instead of being complex or subtle. Above-average nose.

I feel much the same way about how this Yeti tastes. The flavors are all things that you want to taste, but it's the difference between tasting a great dish at a restaurant and trying to recreate it at home: you may know every ingredient, but you probably haven't created the flavor as artfully as the chef did. Perhaps I should have just gone with a comparison to homebrew: the blunt, base flavors here make this beer taste like very good homebrew. Anyway, the oak chips here sort of take over things. Lots of astringency, so much that it masks the hops! Stouty flavors and some slight vanilla to sweeten things up. Some alcohol heat on the finish. It's tasty enough, but kind of boring.

The oak chips have thinned out the beer's body. It isn't as substantive or thick as I would have liked to see. Other than the creaminess level, it's appropriately smooth. The alcohol will get to you pretty quickly, even though the beer is only 9.5% ABV.

Overall, this rendition of Yeti is nothing more than an above-average Imperial Stout to me. It tastes good enough, but I prefer a more complex array of flavors. There's something about the Yeti series that seems to disagree with my palate. I find them, with the exception of the superb Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti, to be much closer to average for the style than they are to being great. Nothing to turn down, but nothing to go out of your way for either. (2,499 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Esch for this one.

A- Pitch black, little to no head. The edges have a translucent dark brown rim to it. The sides of the glass retain some inky brown layer.

S- Smell some wood (duh)salty brown sugar, like soy sauce, now I can't get soy sauce out of my head...but it is not overwhelming.

T- Dark rich flavors of bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans, smokey woodness (duh). I am stuck on the bitterness at the end, almost tastes sprucey. Then a little warmth rolling down my esophagus, makes my chest feel all warm.

M- Smooth, thick slick feel on my tongue.

D- I am very pleased to have had the opportunity to try this guy, thanks again Esch. I really enjoy the Imp Stouts in general. I think that I may not enjoy the high IBU's in stouts. With that being said, I didn't love this one. Not bad by any stretch, but not great according to my hack of a palate. (879 characters)

22oz
Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome. Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate and wild turkey.

Taste is dominated by bourbon and burnt grain. Not bad… Hides the alcohol a bit better than the regular Yeti.

Get this one just to see the pour. Spectacular. Unfortunately, the beer is just ok. (408 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company