Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
ryanw111182

JaysusJr

11-18-2012 22:11:32 | More by JaysusJr
dc55110

1.33/5  rDev -68.8%

I hope I just had a bad bottle.
Looks like the belle of the ball. Pours like crude with a nice dark mahogany head that dissipates fairly quickly. That is where is goes bad. The smell is that of a welders apron mixed, with a little booze. The taste is not much better, metallic and charcoal with booze. Terrible! The aftertaste, is more of an after-feeling. It left a gritty metallic feeling/taste on my tongue.

Sucks that this is my first review. But I cracked this while on BA and had to write down what I was tasting. Yuck!

01-23-2011 02:53:41 | More by dc55110
shanetemple

1.55/5  rDev -63.6%

Pours beautifully dark and rich, tan head, awsome lacing.

Smells slightly sweet, fruity. Nice there.

Taste-- Overpowering roasted black malt. I need more here, more fruitiness, more sweetness, maybe some hops. It just seems too one dimensional to me. Astringant.

Mouthfeel-- A touch thin for an imperial/double stout.

Drinkability-- No thanks, I'll find other double stouts that are more up my alley.

02-24-2011 03:13:10 | More by shanetemple

09-14-2013 01:26:29 | More by hoppyboy69
DogfishJoe

12-19-2011 03:05:10 | More by DogfishJoe
bulletrain76

22oz bottle. Black with a small tan head. Piney hops, sawdust, and light cocoa aroma. Bitter, hoppy, and very oaky with a light chocolate sweetness. This is just a totally astringent oak overload. Feels like there is sawdust drying out the tongue. The finish is like wood scraping out the inside of your mouth and it feels horrible.

05-11-2009 22:57:33 | More by bulletrain76
kevrice88

06-11-2013 01:52:55 | More by kevrice88
Jmoore50

Nevada

2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

This is one of the most disappointing brews I have so far in my life. I LOVE Russian Imperial Stouts, but this is something that is not good, in my opinion. The reviews were high, the trade came in, and beer poured beautiful, the taste sucked.

The appearance is amazing. It pours a beautiful dark brown that comes into a great black that no light comes through. The head is beautiful, comes up to a dark brown frothy head that leaves a disgustingly fat sticky lace on the side. Really a beautiful looking brew.

The smell is where it started turning for the worst. The smell is that of metal, or aluminum. Better yet, stick your hands into a jar of coins and mix it around a little. Then smell your hand, that is what this brew smells like. The hops pop out with this smell with a liquor smell. The liquor smell is something that I was looking forward to in the taste, you can smell an earthy smell also that took me by surprise. The liquor taste is whiskey, something that I can take, but if it is done right.

The taste is by far the worst part of this beer. I had to drink like five drinks to confirm that it was not good. I thought that maybe I sipped it wrong the first two times. I honestly could not believe my taste buds, I still don't. It was gnarly, like a aluminum-whiskey-sour-hop taste that was not good. I actually am saving the other half of the bottle for a buddy who's opinion I somewhat respect on beer. I need to see if he likes it or not because I feel like I might be going crazy. It would be a drainpour if I didn't give the rest away. It has a whiskey hop taste that makes me do a sour baby face. This has some undertones of chocolate and coffee and some vanilla. It just does not taste good at all.

The mouthfeel is a really carbonated and hoppy RIS. I have to stop reviewing this just for the fact I am so saddened how bad it was. The look was beautiful! The taste suffers. I would never buy this ever again. What an interesting experience. Overall not good, I feel like I have to say sorry.

Sorry
J

02-11-2009 01:28:02 | More by Jmoore50
SamN

Colorado

2.17/5  rDev -49.1%

Bomber served in tumbler

A- Ultra black beer, very little light escapes it's darkness. Impressive thick, dark brown, almost red head. Intimidating looking, with an enormous presence in the glass. Fantastic appearance.

S- Thick brambles of hops, burnt coffee, sour cherries, bitterness abounds. Astringent scent, strong alcohol is unappealing. Some mild oakiness to validate the name, not nearly enough though.

T- Damn bitter beer. Lots of hops with spicy alcohol; very big beer, but lacking any malty counter. Too unbalanced and very tough to drink. Definitely not my type of RIS...

M- Hot alcohol burns the tongue, but not over carbonated.

D- Dude, this was a tough one. I really did not enjoy this beer very much at all. Hops dominant with a whiskey-like burn is not my idea of an enjoyable imperial, although it did improve slightly after nursing it for 40 minutes.

Bummer bout this one.

12-27-2009 09:17:47 | More by SamN
tgbljb

2.42/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a almost totally black color with massive tannish head.
Smell is of roasted malt with a strong whiskey-like background
Taste is very non-impressive. Austerely dry with strong alcohol notes. Taste is also somewhat medicinal.
Leaves a strong alcohol, whisky, medicinal taste in the mouth.
I am not a whiskey fan, and this beer was totally disapponting to me. It was difficult to fininsh half a glass.

01-28-2007 20:49:30 | More by tgbljb

Indiana

02-11-2013 18:33:20 | More by birdsellam
Photo of

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

03-30-2012 00:41:31 | More by
fredmugs

Indiana

06-09-2013 13:32:48 | More by fredmugs
waughbrew

2.55/5  rDev -40.1%

I figured that if somebody could be trusted to do oak-aging responsibly, it might be great divide. Nope. They fall in the same way most others do - by taking a great beer and just adding a smeared sharp liquor flavor to it that to me tastes like it could be from an extract - Liquid Oak. Liquid Suck?

Gorgeous black, dark perfect head, lacing, the whole deal. Smell is where the pain starts and it continues well into the finish of the flavor. There is this brash vanilla whisky thing going on with a finish of sickening black licorice. Although well melded, it does not complement the deep malt flavors that were already in the beer. As I have said before, if it tastes like someone mixed a shot of whisky into my beer, I am going to be pissed. Give me barrels, give me wood, give me subtle oak and vanilla, but keep this higher-alcohol nasty-ass twang out of my beer.

No thanks.

01-11-2006 05:09:43 | More by waughbrew
cncbofh

Colorado

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured straight up black.
Half-inch of brown head - slightly creamy.

My nose... suddenly I smell Hops! Pine Forest! My God, am I drinking an IPA? Chinook I think... very piney and spicy. I poured it 5 minutes ago and I'm just staring and sniffing at the goblet. Should I drink it? I'm a bit nervous given the "oaked" craze lately. I had a bad experience with the Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Ok... I'm going to sip it now...

I just sipped my first IPA stout. Overwhelming spicy and piney hops, slight citrus, and tight bitterness that leaves little room for the roasted, almost burnt malts.

While I admit I'm a hophead, I wasn't breaking this open to taste hops... I wanted roasty chocolate, earthy malts and a slight vanilla from the "oaking". Instead I was hit with insane hop aroma and flavor.

It gets high rating for the looks and mouthfeel - nice long taste with a dry biting finish.

Final word: The official BJCP guidelines say it's ok for an Imperial Stout to have "Medium-low to high hop flavor (any variety)", but when a stout isn't balanced with the needed malt it's just not right.... I just can't recommend this one.

02-02-2005 04:44:00 | More by cncbofh
Boppar

New Hampshire

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured a bomber into my pint glass

A: I was blown away by the completely black body and the killer three-finger dark tan head. Impressive head retention and excellent lacing.

S: I stuck my nose way down into that glass and gave 'er a whiff. It smelled decent. I could detect subtle vanilla tones in addition to the dominant aromas: alcohol and oak. Some citrusy hops are definitely present. Actually, at first there was an almost overwheling aroma of a Pine-Sol-like citrus cleaning solvent in there. It took a little more olfactory exploration for me to figure out that they were aromatic hops.

T: Trying to shake off my initial gut reaction to the Pine-Sol smell, I took my first sip. I nearly gagged. The comparison to a cleaning product was even more readily apparent in the flavor department. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and kept drinking it. After about five sips, I was able to get beyond that less than pleasurable citrus taste and explore the rest of the beer. There is a very strong, dry, oak taste. It is also a hop-bomb, and not just because of the citrusy hops; there is a great deal of bittering hop action in here. I'm tempted to say that I may have experienced some chocolate flavors as well, but honestly, the bittering hops, Pine-Sol, alcohol burn, and oak dominated the palate (and in fact probably beat my taste buds into submission simply by making them go numb).

M: The mouthfeel felt about right for the style. Nice heavy weight to it, and a thick consistency.

D: This is not drinkable at all. It is too intense and it tries to do too much, and in the end, the whole thing is just a mess.

12-12-2007 03:22:34 | More by Boppar
bobhits

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%

An amazing looking beer. Black, HUGE head that's thick and leaves lacing all over the place.

An amazing nose, dark chocolate, oak that reeks of vanilla, and dark burnt malt.

Sadly the appearance and nose are the end of the praise. This is simply a mess of a beer. Huge dark chocolate and malt are terribly complemented with some sour oak notes and even worse hop presence. This is a style of a beer I truly love so I can't say that I completely dislike this beer, it's just not good. For a style I'm sure I'd lean toward overrating this isn't a success. It is easily the worst big oak aged stout I've had.

The mouth feel here is pretty darn nice, creamy, a bit of carbonation and a bit of a bite that works well.

This is a hard beer to keep drinking. The problems with the taste just linger and linger. I fully understand I am attacking a beer loved by many. All this said I think the idea of a chocolate or coffee bean version of this will be a damn good improvement. This beer just needs something else to make it work.

09-01-2010 00:34:49 | More by bobhits