Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,636 | Hads: 4,422
4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dated April 2013 poured into a tall pint glass

A: Dark. Zero visibility through any of it. 1.5 fingers of dark brown head.

S: Chocolate, booze, roasted grains. Really nice bouquet of aroma.

Taste: Just really really great. Starts off so smooth and chocolately with just a little bit of roasted grain bite. Follows up nice and smooth again with more roasted grain and the oakiness of the barrel. Ends with oak a whiskey flavors to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate.

M: Smooth smooth smooth. Thats really all there is to it. Nice and thick and smooth. Like velvet on your tongue.

O: Just as good as advertised. An amazing beer shared with amazing friends. The complexity of all the flavors is incredible. Very fun beer to drink. Tastes amazing right down the the last sip. I'll be looking for this whenever it's available.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Dense black with a substantial yeti-hair colored head.

The aroma is alcoholic, woodsy, chocolate, coffee and roast malt. There is some vauge hint of sweet-sour fruit that I read as yeast.

The flavor is deep, mellow, layerd with everything in the nose. The bitterness and sweetness seem nearly perfectly balanced. There is an oatsy coffee flavor that adds dryness so the cocoa is not overpowering.

The mouthfeel is substantial but seems as if it should be a bit thicker; the carbonation adds a layer of density It is very drinkable even with the high alcohol.

This is by far one of the best Imperial Stouts I've had to date; I feel fortunate to have gotten it on tap.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours an opague black with a soapy and creamy light brown heading.Left great lacing for a stout and left ringlets all the way down.

I am getting whiffs of coffee before I even put my to to the glass. Espresso beans,Coffee beans.A ridiculous amount of chocolate and nice vanilla oak touches down as well.

Taste and mouth. I can not add anything to what everyone has said. A very heavy roasted tasting with a nice chewy creaminessfrom the start. Interrupted by a prickley bitter hop taste that attacks the tastebuds but is then puhed aside with that vanilla oak warmness of alcohol. All flavors mesh extremely well and makes the body have a nice warm feeling. Perfect for a cold night like tonight.

Superb.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a solid black, no highlights, with a couple fingers worth of foamy deep tan head that eventually diminishes and leaves a nice tan film across the surface. Great lacing.

Nose is just wow. Oak. Roasty. Vanilla. Chocolate. Coffee. Floral hops. Alcohol. Smells like candy. There's a note in there that reminds me a bit of soy sauce, but in a good way. Take a sip, and it's wow again. Sweet, then bitter. Oak again, then flavors of a good craft dark chocolate. Alcohol warmth comes through toward the end, with a good dose of earthy hoppy bitterness at the very finish. Well balanced. Dessert in a glass. Pretty thick and heavy bodied. Mouth coating with a luscious oiliness as the beer rolls off the sides of my mouth.

Very drinkable, even given the alcohol content. I don't feel at all heavy-laden with the burden of drinking the entire bottle, as I have with some imperial stouts. Stick me in the Himalayas with a few cases of this beer, and I'm sure to thrive just as well as Yeti himself.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

I have this beer many a time, and tonight I'm having a bottle I've carefully stored since early 2008. I've really been looking forward to this one.

A: Oily black, it's black gold! Looks viscous, and a healthy amount of very dark tan head sits on top and hangs around for a while. Great lacing.

S: Vanilla, chocolate, and dark roast coffee. A very woodsy/piney hop aroma to it as well.

T: I let this thing sit until room it was nearly room temperature, and that's where it belongs. Tons of flavors. Dark chocolate, bitter coffee, hops, some alcohol bite, oak of course, dark caramel. Whew, there's a lot going on here. For a beer that was brewed about 2 years ago there's still quite a bit of hop flavor to this.

M: Silky smooth, full bodied, just great.

D: Well, at 9.5% it's not really sessionable, but that's the only thing that would stop me from trying on this one. Great beer, maybe my favorite of all time.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Wow, this is the best beer I've ever had, I can't wait to get it again. Pours an obsidian black, with a light brown head that rises to the top. First smell is of vanilla, no doubt from the oaking. The theres a nice roasty smell, with some hops behind it. Man this tastes good, oaky with vanilla notes, bitter roast coffee, some hops. The aftertaste was indescribable, exactly like the aftertaste of a very fine oaked chardonnay, just amazing. The mouthfeel was nice and thick, perfect consistency, not overly thick and just right, very smooth and tasty. This isn't an everyday beer and I don't think I'd try to drink a whole bomber by myself but this is definately a beer to get for special occasions. Beer I recommend most.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that regular Yeti is among my favorite beers.

Pours out the same inky black with a big, bubbly tan head that slowly fades and leaves a lot of lace and a rocky, craggy rim of head on the dark body. Nice-looking, to be sure.

Smell is roasted barley, chocolate, a little whiff of vanilla, bourbon, and a slightly vinous character.

Flavor is just stupendous; I've been spoiling myself with great stouts lately, and this is right up there with any of them. The same deep roasted flavor and powdered chocolate notes that make the regular Yeti so great are intact here, but there's also a nice vanilla/oak character that imparts the brew with slight hints of a bourbon flavor.

Mouthfeel is ultra-thick and creamy, and while it might not have a milkshake-like quality, it's getting close.

Overall: Quite a brew, and one that I'm going to buy again and again. A tad more complex and mellowed than the regular Yeti, this one truly benefits from the barrel aging. Top-notch.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter.

A - Pours nearly pitch-black with a creamy brown head that lingers for a loooong time. Moderate lacing.

S - Spicy wood notes come through the strongest, with some coffee and piney hops lingering in the background.

T - Sweet Zeus almighty!!! Sweet up front with lots of dark chocolate and vanilla flavors. Hop bitterness and woody spice come through in the finish, getting stronger as it warms.

M - Full-bodied, and quite rich. Some spicy wood notes linger on the palate as if to dare you to take another sip.

D - Wickedly smooth and thoroughly enjoyable. I could drink this all night if not for the 9.5% abv. Definitely one of the best RIS's I've ever had.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

This bottle is almost 6 months old - Bottled on Oct 7, 2010.

Poured black, with 3 finger mocha colored head, that settled into to being rocky like pumice.

Aroma, smells like Yeti! - with just a very very light oak to it, and maybe some vanilla with chocolate.

Taste - sweet, roasty malt, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and again just a slight oak to it, but just enough to smooth this big boy out, wonderful, I thank Great Divide for holding back on the oak a bit. To me this kicks regular Yetis butt, just because it tastes like yeti, but not as harsh. If I didn't already know it, I would never believe that this bad boy is almost 10% - no way.

M=perfect carbonation, a nice full medium, that is lip smacking sticky goodness. For a stout with this high of an abv - the drinkability is off the charts!

O= all I can say is wow! This is tremendous, I think I may have found my favorite Imperial Stout, that I have easy access too.

Vintage 09

A: Exceptional. Charcoal black body. On top is a huge dark brown head. Frothy, dense, I want to put a cherry on top. Sheets of blotchy lacing surround the glass.

S: Bittersweet chocolate met by the earthy, woody, oak scents, combining for something special. Coffee and vanilla in the background.

T: Big roasty notes of malt up front. Dark chocolate, bitter (hops holding up for 2 years?), but a sweet malt taste going on. Coffee comes and goes. And, oh, the oak. It's not overpowering, but just complements the beer so well. A great woody aftertaste that sticks around with the chocolate.

M: Creamy and chewy, almost Three-Mustakeers-like. Practically perfect carbonation.

O/D: Absolutely delicious. I keep going back to buy this. I might have to grab some more before GD officially leaves RI.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Considering the awesome price of this bomber, there may not be a better stout for the money out there. This was unbelievable....

Glugs out a used motor oil black with a 2 inch brown head. Really good looking beer here....

Aroma is chocolate, coffee, chocolate, oak, chocolate, alcohol....Man, I love the way this is smelling.

Tastes even better than it smells. Loads of dark chocolate, with hints of vanilla, something earthy (the oak?), and strong coffee.

One of my new favorite Imperials here. This is simply incredible... Loved everything about it.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Obliterative black. The massive head is dark caramel in color and is one of the darkest that I've ever seen on a stout. It's as thick and as creamy as anyone could possibly wish for and is beginning to lay down a stunning array of thick, buckshot-riddled lace. Hey, I know where I've seen this look before... on non-Oak Aged Yeti. Both are outstanding in the appearance department and have few peers in this, or any other, style.

It may be the power of suggestion, but I swear I can smell vanilla bean in amongst the darkly menacing aromas that are emanating from the glass. The nose is heavy on bittersweet chocolate and light on espresso (if it can be said to be light on anything) with a wonderously citric, evergreen hoppiness keeping pace with all the malt. It's difficult to imagine a more assertive, yet still complex, aroma.

Great googly mooglies! This is fantastic beer and is easily as good as the un-oaked Yeti, maybe even better. It's monolithically malty with all sorts of dark, fudge-like flavors bathing the tongue with each mouthful. Chocolate still reigns with bitter coffee grounds having their say as well. The malt tastes like it was roasted in the fires of Hell itself.

I've had this bomber for at least six months, possibly longer, and it's scary how hoppy this beast still is. When fresh, it may have given Three Floyds Alpha Klaus and Bear Republic Big Bear Black a run for their money as the most hoppy stout/porter that I've ever had. There's so much spruciness that I feel like I need to pick the needles out of my teeth after each sip.

The thing that I love most about the big beer from this brewery is the sheer amount of bud busting flavor that it brings to bear. It sometimes has an 'everything but the kitchen sink' vibe, but in most cases, it works beautifully for those of us who crave dizzying amounts of flavor.

I'd have to drink them side by side (now there would be a night to remember!), but I'm fairly certain that this version is even more complex than the standard Yeti because the oak aging actually mananages to impart noticeable oaky and vanilla notes. Even though a bit of an alcohol sting is noted, this is one of the most perfectly masked 9.5% beers that I've ever had. What good would a toothless Yeti be anyway?

I'm not sure that I can do the body/mouthfeel justice. There's nothing about this beer that should result in a bigger, creamier mouthfeel than in the non-oaked version, but for some reason, I didn't give that beer a perfect score and I'm doing so here. I can't imagine a more heavily creamy, nougat chewy, melted chocolate silky mouthfeel than the one that graces my mouth with each upending of the glass. If that isn't perfection, then I don't know what is.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is unbelievably good. If the Iowa ABV cap is ever popped, this is one of the beers that I'll horde like a greedy chipmunk. If you love larger than life stouts, oak-aged stouts or mouth parties in general, do whatever is necessary to lay your hands on the single best beer produced by one of America's best breweries.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Pour: As black and dark as they come with a brown head that holds well
Smell: Roasted coffee & malts with a slight hint of chocolate
Taste: Immediate taste of strong coffee, malt and slight chocolate. Just the right amount of hops in this one to help it finish strong. A great smoooth stout.
One of the best Stouts I have ever had Highly recommend

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Whoa. Pours a ridiculous dark dark... well dark. I assume brown. Thick brown head bubbles up, then stops for good. Lacing is amazing, and topping up my glass, the new liquid literally punches a hole through the foam.

S - Sweet and rich smelling. Dark fruit, a solid whiff of alcohol and a chocolatey, molassesy aroma. Some herbal hops and woodiness round out the nose.

T/M - Again very sweet, with lots of dark sugar and fruit. Extremely creamy heavy body. Slightly vinous, with an astringent touch. Lots of dark fruit including cherries and raisins, tons of toasted character including espresso and cocoa, and a floral and herbal tone. Solid bitterness cleans up the palate well.

D - Very drinkable for such a big beer. Overall impression is one of "bigness" all around. Tons of flavour, asskicking body, and a head to die for. I might even say sessionable if it were a touch less sweet. At 9.5%, this is probably a good thing.

All around excellent beer, but... the head is absolutely amazing. Every beer I review after this one is gonna get a much rougher ride in the "appearance" category.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Midnight black with a thick, caramel-colored head. A beautiful sight. Aromas of chocolate, vanilla, oak, and roasted malt. The taste is absolutely phenomenal. The first thing that hits me is the chocolate, caramel aspects. Then I get a bit of the woody, vanilla followed on the finish by a drying roasted malt and hop. There's a bit of a restrained fruitiness throughout of dark cherries and raisins though I think the oak influence and dark chocolaty malt takes center stage. The balance of flavors is unbelievable. Very smooth and creamy with a mild and pleasant bite on the finish from the oak. One of the best imperial stouts I've tasted in a long while. I was very sad to see the bottom of the glass on this one. Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Got this one for $9.95 for a bomber, so it better have been good, although I've always had faith in Great Divide brews. Fortunately it delivered - one of the best RIS's I've ever had. Pours a perfect black, with very light red highlights. One finger of tan head. Nose is strong on coffee, roasted malt, raisins, and some slight breadiness. Taste is incredible - interesting and complex. In no particular order, coffee, chocolate, dried fruit, breadiness, and prunes. Hoppiness shows up in the aftertaste, along with a touch of alcohol that actually suits the beer fairly well. This one would be incredible with some cellaring though. Body is full with solid carbonation. This one's really delicious - one I'd be drinking daily if it weren't for the price tag.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a tall 20oz. mug. Almost completely opaque black color with a thick dark brown head; beautiful beer. Aroma was everything I remember from the last time I had this beer. I have long considered this one of my absolute favorite beers. The price is the only thing keeping me from enjoying it more often. The taste was just as good if not better than I remember it. Deep undertones of both very dark chocolate and strong espresso, neither of which are too overpowering, just almost perfectly delicious. The alcohol in the mouthfeel is almost nonnoticable. This is without question one of my favorite beers, especially in the winter. Perfect for any special occasion.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle with a bottled on date of Sept 2012 , pours a rich deep chocolate color with a thick brown head that retains its body well and lacing that sticks to the side of the glass , a very nice looking beer in the glass

The aroma is just great , I pick up the malt and the alcohol very well with hints of vanilla and almost a creamy smell to it , kind of sweet but enough bite from the alcohol to not be too much

The body of this beer is almost too week to be such a big beer , I was expecting a hearty thick taste and it was almost a little too weak for this beer , not that it was bad just not what I was thinking

The flavors this beer puts out are very nice malty sweetness , you can taste the bitter overtones of the dark malts used in this brew , the oak flavor comes in and really finishes this beer off nicely

Over all I'm not a huge stout fan , I mean I like them ok , but not a huge fan , I loved this one. I mean I thought I loved FBS until I drank this , now I know I liked FBS and Loved the Oak Aged Yeti

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer!

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Big 2.5 finger head without trying. Looked like a chocolate milk shake, and held for a long time. Beer was black as coal. No light getting through whatsoever.

Super chocolaty aromas with slight vanilla and alcohol. Kind of smelled like a port. This beer smells really good.

Nice milk chocolate flavor right off the bat. Slight alcohol finish. I can definitely taste the oak aging in this beer. Sort of reminded me of my Balvenie Doublewood.

Syrupy smooth mouthfeel with a nice low carbonation. This beer was too drinkable for a 9.5 ABV. Split this bottle with a friend, and I almost took his half from him.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A - pours with a thick consistency, appearing with a chocolate tan head that is its only real distinguishing factor from other stouts.

S - chocolate and caramel scents loft across the entire room. The presence of oak distinguishes it from its younger brother.

T - there is some really sweet chocolate and caramel malts all over this beer. There is much less oak flavor than I was expecting, however it is still noticeable.

M - The flurry of flavors and carbonation easily mask the high ABV on this beer. Expect it to creep up on you.

D - My only gripe with this beer is that it absolutely devastates your palate. Not exactly the kind of beer that you can drink all night. But that is a good problem to have

C. Clairty...whats that
H. Black, duahh
N. Alcohol, Light Smoke, Hints of Oak, Vanilla

Needless to say I had high expectations for this beer. It pours just like all the other Yeti's but the taste is so much cleaner then the rest. Strong hints of Dark Chocolate and actual Oak-y Flavoring! This is a real "Oak Aged" beer, or at least one that allows the oak to shine! I very much so enjoyed this beer. As a experiment El Guapo and I gave a sip to a young female (over 21) that does not drink beer...her response "Wow thats a lot of flavors, no thank you!"

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a nonic, lovely pitch black opaque inky goodness with full thick milk chocolate head. Lacing is lush and abundant. Smells is complex and enticing, excellent mix of subtlety and character in the aroma. There is an intoxicating rich dark chocolate character mixed wonderfully with hints of oaky earthiness, vanilla, and a supple smokiness that is making me tear up. The hops are there but tamed so beautifully by age. The taste is so fucking good; I am having the damnedest time concentrating on the review. Starts with a wonderful rich, dark chocolate mouse character balanced by sweet and mild bitterness and an amazingly satisfying richness on the swallow. Alcohol is not present in the smell or taste, but is there with comforting warmth. I love the moughtfeel on this its so fun to play with it on my tongue before a big swallow that makes you want to die. Nothing in this, not one molecule is overdone or under attended to, an exquisite balance I am so pleasantly surprised. My dog knocked over the last couple of drops of my first glass, for this she will never be forgiven. This is undeniably my favorite Russian Imperial stout and I will be purchasing at least half a dozen more tomorrow. If you like RIS and you haven’t had this for crap sake get it together, you’ll never be the same. Honestly I can’t say enough good words for this I am so happy to have had this.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Let me start off by saying that I am incredibly surprised by how far down this one is on the best of BA. This is a magnificent beer that I really wish I didn't have to trade for. Wow. Probably my favorite RIS to date, aside from the Abyss. Down to brass tacks:

A - Beautiful jet black, with a dark brown khaki head. Fantastic head retention, even after 15 minutes or so, it's still kicking. Lacing around the glass is extreme.

S - Chocolate-covered strawberries, mild phenols, a hint of that olive smell that I've alluded to before in other reviews of RIS's.

T - Mild hops up front, chocolatey, mild coffee, slightly warming phenols, slight coffee (not an overload like others I've tried), and some raisins/dates.

M - Exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly warming on the way down. I love this beer. Did I mention that?

D - If any bar around here had these, I'd go broke, develop cirrhosis, or go to jail. Man, this is good. I want another.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Black as night with a 1 finger head that quickly diminished in 1-2 minutes. The carbonation was slightly lower than average

S: Sweet roasted malt aroma with undertones of chocolate, licorice, and vanilla

T: Well balanced sweet dark malts, chocolate, and coffee as well as vanilla, licorice, alcohol, and mild hops. As the beer warmed, it seemed to have hints of raison and carmel.

M: Heavy, but smooth with average carbonation.

D: This is a fantastic beer that really hit the spot after a long day of work. Great flavor and balance. I definitely recommend this to all.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company