Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,214 | Reviews: 1,622
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Got this one for $9.95 for a bomber, so it better have been good, although I've always had faith in Great Divide brews. Fortunately it delivered - one of the best RIS's I've ever had. Pours a perfect black, with very light red highlights. One finger of tan head. Nose is strong on coffee, roasted malt, raisins, and some slight breadiness. Taste is incredible - interesting and complex. In no particular order, coffee, chocolate, dried fruit, breadiness, and prunes. Hoppiness shows up in the aftertaste, along with a touch of alcohol that actually suits the beer fairly well. This one would be incredible with some cellaring though. Body is full with solid carbonation. This one's really delicious - one I'd be drinking daily if it weren't for the price tag.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a tall 20oz. mug. Almost completely opaque black color with a thick dark brown head; beautiful beer. Aroma was everything I remember from the last time I had this beer. I have long considered this one of my absolute favorite beers. The price is the only thing keeping me from enjoying it more often. The taste was just as good if not better than I remember it. Deep undertones of both very dark chocolate and strong espresso, neither of which are too overpowering, just almost perfectly delicious. The alcohol in the mouthfeel is almost nonnoticable. This is without question one of my favorite beers, especially in the winter. Perfect for any special occasion.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle with a bottled on date of Sept 2012 , pours a rich deep chocolate color with a thick brown head that retains its body well and lacing that sticks to the side of the glass , a very nice looking beer in the glass

The aroma is just great , I pick up the malt and the alcohol very well with hints of vanilla and almost a creamy smell to it , kind of sweet but enough bite from the alcohol to not be too much

The body of this beer is almost too week to be such a big beer , I was expecting a hearty thick taste and it was almost a little too weak for this beer , not that it was bad just not what I was thinking

The flavors this beer puts out are very nice malty sweetness , you can taste the bitter overtones of the dark malts used in this brew , the oak flavor comes in and really finishes this beer off nicely

Over all I'm not a huge stout fan , I mean I like them ok , but not a huge fan , I loved this one. I mean I thought I loved FBS until I drank this , now I know I liked FBS and Loved the Oak Aged Yeti

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

22 oz bomber. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Big 2.5 finger head without trying. Looked like a chocolate milk shake, and held for a long time. Beer was black as coal. No light getting through whatsoever.

Super chocolaty aromas with slight vanilla and alcohol. Kind of smelled like a port. This beer smells really good.

Nice milk chocolate flavor right off the bat. Slight alcohol finish. I can definitely taste the oak aging in this beer. Sort of reminded me of my Balvenie Doublewood.

Syrupy smooth mouthfeel with a nice low carbonation. This beer was too drinkable for a 9.5 ABV. Split this bottle with a friend, and I almost took his half from him.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

A - pours with a thick consistency, appearing with a chocolate tan head that is its only real distinguishing factor from other stouts.

S - chocolate and caramel scents loft across the entire room. The presence of oak distinguishes it from its younger brother.

T - there is some really sweet chocolate and caramel malts all over this beer. There is much less oak flavor than I was expecting, however it is still noticeable.

M - The flurry of flavors and carbonation easily mask the high ABV on this beer. Expect it to creep up on you.

D - My only gripe with this beer is that it absolutely devastates your palate. Not exactly the kind of beer that you can drink all night. But that is a good problem to have

C. Clairty...whats that
H. Black, duahh
N. Alcohol, Light Smoke, Hints of Oak, Vanilla

Needless to say I had high expectations for this beer. It pours just like all the other Yeti's but the taste is so much cleaner then the rest. Strong hints of Dark Chocolate and actual Oak-y Flavoring! This is a real "Oak Aged" beer, or at least one that allows the oak to shine! I very much so enjoyed this beer. As a experiment El Guapo and I gave a sip to a young female (over 21) that does not drink beer...her response "Wow thats a lot of flavors, no thank you!"

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a nonic, lovely pitch black opaque inky goodness with full thick milk chocolate head. Lacing is lush and abundant. Smells is complex and enticing, excellent mix of subtlety and character in the aroma. There is an intoxicating rich dark chocolate character mixed wonderfully with hints of oaky earthiness, vanilla, and a supple smokiness that is making me tear up. The hops are there but tamed so beautifully by age. The taste is so fucking good; I am having the damnedest time concentrating on the review. Starts with a wonderful rich, dark chocolate mouse character balanced by sweet and mild bitterness and an amazingly satisfying richness on the swallow. Alcohol is not present in the smell or taste, but is there with comforting warmth. I love the moughtfeel on this its so fun to play with it on my tongue before a big swallow that makes you want to die. Nothing in this, not one molecule is overdone or under attended to, an exquisite balance I am so pleasantly surprised. My dog knocked over the last couple of drops of my first glass, for this she will never be forgiven. This is undeniably my favorite Russian Imperial stout and I will be purchasing at least half a dozen more tomorrow. If you like RIS and you haven’t had this for crap sake get it together, you’ll never be the same. Honestly I can’t say enough good words for this I am so happy to have had this.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Let me start off by saying that I am incredibly surprised by how far down this one is on the best of BA. This is a magnificent beer that I really wish I didn't have to trade for. Wow. Probably my favorite RIS to date, aside from the Abyss. Down to brass tacks:

A - Beautiful jet black, with a dark brown khaki head. Fantastic head retention, even after 15 minutes or so, it's still kicking. Lacing around the glass is extreme.

S - Chocolate-covered strawberries, mild phenols, a hint of that olive smell that I've alluded to before in other reviews of RIS's.

T - Mild hops up front, chocolatey, mild coffee, slightly warming phenols, slight coffee (not an overload like others I've tried), and some raisins/dates.

M - Exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly warming on the way down. I love this beer. Did I mention that?

D - If any bar around here had these, I'd go broke, develop cirrhosis, or go to jail. Man, this is good. I want another.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Black as night with a 1 finger head that quickly diminished in 1-2 minutes. The carbonation was slightly lower than average

S: Sweet roasted malt aroma with undertones of chocolate, licorice, and vanilla

T: Well balanced sweet dark malts, chocolate, and coffee as well as vanilla, licorice, alcohol, and mild hops. As the beer warmed, it seemed to have hints of raison and carmel.

M: Heavy, but smooth with average carbonation.

D: This is a fantastic beer that really hit the spot after a long day of work. Great flavor and balance. I definitely recommend this to all.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

2011 edition on tap at Mad Mex

Appearance: Solid black with a half finger dark brown head. Yetis are amongst my favorite looking beers

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, caramel, oak, dark fruit. So complex!

Taste: Huge roasted and chocolate malt bill, coffee, vanilla, molasses with just enough oak/smoky character towards the end of the palate. Often times there's a particular characteristic of a beer that stounds out, but here each one is bold yet they balance eachother out perfectly

Mouthfeel: Between heavy medium and light heavy body; Smooth as silk with slight bitterness throughout. No alcohol detected whatsoever

Overall: I don't know if it's because this was both aged for three years and on tap, but I was amazed. This beer is instantly my favorite stout to date and a contender for the best beer I've had. Looks picture perfect, awesome balance with both flavors and aromas, and smooth as silk. Much better than the chocolate oak aged yeti, and my favorite in the series so far. I've always said that the perfect beer has big, bold American flavors and viscosity with English balance and smoothness, which i think I found here. HIGHLY recommended!!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter - 2007 bottling I'd assume - Cellar temp.

Appearance: Dark black beer makes a small half inch head. The head is brown in color and has a sizeable amount of big bubbles. Another pour reveals a small amount of head contribution. Small amounts of lace remain on the glass after swirling. Good retention on what head there is.

Smell: Chocolate, chocolate malt, molasses and dark brown sugar. A bit of pine sneaks through and makes a hoppy presence. Black licorice, vanilla, oak and wood tannins, chocolate chip cookies. Lots of strong, enticing aromas coming from this beer. Very, very nice.

Taste: At first I get a lot of base malt, like chocolate and black patent. Dark chocolate flavors are met with espresso. Subtle flavors of licorice, vanilla, oak, and caramel. Hops flavors of pine and grapefruit are present, with the majority being pine. They make their way into the finish of the beer and provide a lingering bitterness. This is certainly what you would describe as an American interpretation. Very tasty and complex.

Mouthfeel: Sugar and bitternes are the main components. Bitterness comes from the hops and from the deep, roasted flavors as well. Alcohol is warming but not cloying, and warms the belly pleasantly. Pretty viscous body.

Drinkability: This is an amazing stout, one that can be easily obtained and enjoyed for very little. Seeing as though everything is going up in price and seeing people pay so much for some of the more popular RISs, this one is right up my alley. This really is an awesome beer. I could have two of these bombers and be set for the night. Spectacular.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

nice bomber size...a gift from Sarah (thanks!)

appearance is no less than stellar...stands firm and thick and frothy and vibrant for 5 minutes or more....dark dark head...luscious lacing in large swathes. it just looks serious. incredible. often many a great brew is weak here...not this one

like all great stouts of this nature, i catch the sweet, alcoholic, dark preserved fruit notes along with some dark chocolate Raisanets. the roastiness is more fermented seeming. like miso. deep and concentrated.

even if you didn't like anything like this level of brewing art, you have to raise a toast to the masterpiece here. i happen to love this kind of stout and i find this immediately complex...if i stop to think and dissect and analyze, i lose the experience. it wil take a moment to come back and draw on the memory. but this leaves deep impressions: just right IBU balances the smokey sweetness...tart is a key word...like other great stouts (no matter the style), this simply satisfies life on earth. it's like a meal. or a decadent dessert, but refreshing all the same. savor it, sure, but quaff it, too. it's not stodgy. it's at home in a 3/4 pint glass with a silly cow on it. and the lacing continues on down the glass, more mottled this vache. mouthfeel is as it should be...neither sticky thick and cloying or thin and dry. the flavors linger and mingle with the next swallow.

at 9.5abv, not sure what the drinkablility is for everyone at anytime. but i say a bottle of this is always a special occasion. enjoy it! life is short. a PERFECT ending to a long mountain bike ride. i'll test this after my first endurance race of the season...

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a wine glass with a pitch black oil color and a beautiful head. The head is about one finger and is the darkest coffee brown head I have ever seen, amazing. The retention is pretty nice and the glass is coated with lacing as I drink it down. Random clouds of coffee brown are left on the top of the beer once the head dies down. The smell is pretty standard for a Russian Imperial Stout. I get a lot of toasty malts, chocolate malt and some coffee notes, probably from some of the malt. The oak becomes more present as it warms up, nice. There are a fair amount of hops in the nose in this one. I dont get any alcohol on the nose, fairly impressive for an RIS. The taste on this one is awesome. Huge notes of roasted malts. Coffee and cocoa are in the background to balance this one out perfectly. The huge hops help add a nice element to the huge malty taste. The taste really gets good when you add the oak into this. This beer is something that every RIS fan should try, also a great way to figure out what oak can be used for. No alcohol in the taste either. The mouthfeel is right on par for a beer of this caliber. The body is thick and oily, the carbonation is medium (I wouldn't mind a bit less). The alcohol warming is pretty nice here, not overpowering. There is a massive coat of oak and cocoa left on the tongue. Drinkability is great. The taste pretty much tells the DB here. The price is not bad for a beer of this quality, the alcohol or any of the tastes are not overpowering. I will buy this one again and age it when it comes back to my area.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Amazing. Deep roasted malt balanced by heavy carbonation and oak dryness. Served in snifter. Aroma of espresso, malt, oak, vanilla and deep carmel. The dryness of alcohol and oak balance this malt heavy and sweet aroma driven beer. My personal favorite for this style.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

A: A thick/rich Black body with a mocha head.

S: Smells like chocolate, coffee, toffe, roast/oak notes, and of vanilla.

T: Instantly taste like chocolate and toffee. Sweet and hardly any bitterness. Alcohol is hidden very well.

M: Smooth and creamy. Carbonation seems perfect.

O: Possibly my favorite Imperial Stout. Amazing taste and mouthwatering. If you get the chance, try this beer. If you love stouts, this is a must.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a dense pitch black. Beautiful. Not sure how to describe the head, coppery ? The taste is fantastic, lively. Really wasn't sure what to expect from this beer when i bought it, and now I'm hoping, praying that my local beer guy will continue to provide this fine brew. This beer will always be on my must buy list. I'll be looking for more brews from these guys.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Awesome dark brown/black color with a very rich brown head that lasts a while. Nice lacing. I can't wait to drink it.

S: Very nice sweet vanilla aroma, not too overwhelming.

T: One of the best beers I've ever had from a bottle. Nice rich flavor with great sweetness from vanilla combining with the rich roasted malts flavor.

M: Great mouthfeel, nice amount of chew to it.

D: Little bit of alcholoy taste to it, but I could drink this all night. I'm glad I have a 1 pint 6 oz bottle.

Overall: Overall this was an amazing beer. If you like a good dark beer, you will love this. I will definitely buy a couple of these next time I'm out. Shame I only have one.

Old label, i'm guessing 07

Pours jet black with a dark browon head. Beautiful.

Bourbon wafts up from the glass from a distance.
Upon sniffing vanilla and definate bourbon notes, chocolate chip cookies, alcohol. RICH.

Palate is suprisingly smooth and full bodied with a faded hop presence. Finishes tannic, leaves lace and a thin layer of head.

A bold beer that requires thought and attention. One of the best stouts out there, best of the yeti's.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours like transmission fluid, but too black for that; huge coffee flavored head. Good lacing & head retention

Smell: Malty toastiness, some alcohol & fruitiness

Taste: Vanilla strained through wood, malt, fruit, vodka &hops. Dry vanilla finish

MF: Silky, rich & yum

Drinkabilty: Super despite the abv. So different than yeti, wow, both great takes on this style

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

*Reviewing the bottle, enjoyed the 12 draft and 11 bottle and draft in the past.

A - Pours like crude oil. Body is sealed black. Vibrant array of browns and tans hit the rough head. Lace looms.

S - Rich in malts and chocolate. Subtle coffee, even fainter cries of booze.

T - More complex as it warms. A blended mix of milk, dark, and baker's chocolate. Coffee/Roasted Malt Hints, soothing out the booze's strength.

MF - Heavy bodied with a pleasant amount of carbonation.

O - The Yeti takes several forms. This one veers towards the upper ranks. It's Massive. It's Complex. (The Label says it all!)

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

It pours a deep, midnight black but finishes with a nice creamy head that is reminscent of a Guinness head. Definite hints of chocolate, vanilla, and even coffeee are accentuated by the oak aging which seems to have intensified the flavors. Lingers heavily on the tongue but is surprisingly smooth to drink. Not much hops tatse at all which is quite a nice change.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

I can only say...buy it if you see it. Trade for it if you have to. Every beer drinker should try this, no matter what your favorite style is. This is simply put one fantastic beer. Give it some time to get closer to room temperature to really enjoy the flavors.

22 oz bomber.

Wow, I noticed how black this is while I was pouring it. Very deep black with no light showing through, dark head that leaves a good lacing.

Smell is incredible, chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, so many great things coming through. The taste is just as good. Sweet malts up front with a bit of vanilla, coffee, chocolate flavors all coming through. For a 9.5% beer the alcohol is very well masked. Medium carbonation and a nice heavy body make this a sipping beer, but it's nothing overpowering. Still very drinkable.

I am floored by this stout, it has such big flavors yet is still so drinkable it's scary.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with little light brown lacing. Light carbonation.
Smell: Chocolate, Raisins, Dark Malts, more malts, oak, whiskey.
Taste: A good amount of oak, chocolate and malts. The taste lingers for a long time. A slight whiskey taste at the end that is very smokey. Very warming on a cold winter day.
Mouthfeel: light carbonation, and a thick mouthfeel.
Overall. Nothing about this beer is overdone, it is very well balanced in taste and mouthfeel. Easily one of my favorite beers if not my favorite.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company