Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is a beast of a beer. It pours black, nothing but black. The head is thick and a dark cappuccino color. The head stays for a long while and leaves loads of lacing. It smells of vanilla, coconut, and oak. There is lots going on in the nose (it almost has a smell of soy sauce, is my bottle bad? Am I crazy?).

The taste is bold. It makes me think of red wine with the complexities going on here. There is just so much to pay attention to. It is a little viscous, more so than I would like. Then again, it makes me think of bourbon--So much going on. Strong tastes of burnt coffee and burnt chocolate and a little spicy. Dark roasted malts with a very earthy taste with slight vanilla hints.

This is a big beer, both in taste and alcohol (9.5% ABV). While it is good, it is not for me. This is obviously a very popular beer, but it isn’t something that I would drink on a regular basis. It is just too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, good beer, just not for me.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout...

Appearance-pitch black, thick body, brown muddled head that's actually somewhat small and puny.

Smell-lots of alcoholic, burnt crisp coffee, a little residual sweetness.

Taste/Mouthfeel-dry milky sweetness, burnt sour vanilla, alcohol heat in the middle to the end, thin taste. Smooth but scuzzy.

Drinkability-Slow sipper, decent taste, muddled with a lot going on.

Overall-not bad, but doesn't live up to the hype. I've had much better, am willing to try it again. I'm sad the Oak didn't add more.

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon about six months ago for seven dollars, split with a friend last night, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Color was pretty much black with some dark brown highlights, 3/4 inch soapy mocha colored head that stuck around for almost ten minutes, very good retention, some sticky lacing

S-Smokiness, dark chocolate, light coffee, oak, big vanilla aroma, some dark fruit, booze, roasted malt, and charcoal

T-Started off with a huge smoky flavor just like the smell, some dark chocolate malt in the middle, finish had burned flavors and a dry feel from some whiskey, could not taste the vanilla until it warmed a little bit, but it provided some complexity and toned down the smokiness a little bit, oak also came strong later, aftertaste started to have some pommegranates and prunes in it, not much hops to balance it all out, contrary to what the bottle descirption said I think this is more aggressive than the regular version

M-Smoky and sweet mouthfeel, medium to full body, medium level of carbonation, a little spicy at times, taste lingered for the most part

D-Could not drink a bottle of this myself, not a session beer in any respect, took me over an hour to drink eleven or twelve ounces, heavy on the stomach, alcohol is not hidden

One of the most flavorful beers I have ever had both in good and bad ways, a little better than the standard Yeti in my opinion, would drink again in the future, recommended if you are a fan of smoky imperial stouts

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a deep black with a huge dark tan head. The aroma is kind of mute at this point but there is just a hint of wood with mostly sweet malts and some hops. Taste is some what sweet with just a hint of oak. The taste is that of chocolate syrup, malt and maybe a light hit of hop bite then finishes with the oak, wood flavor.

This is just lighter than squeezing chocolate syrup out of the bottle but has a light alc kick. The Oak Aged version is slightly better than the standard Yeti but it just doesn't do it for me. I love me a RIS but just not on board with the Yeti.

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Pours completely opaque. A dark chocolate brown froth sparkles in the light. Forms nice lacing.

S - Dry treated wood, dark chocolate, earthy roasted malt, dry tobacco, hints of vanilla that seems sharpened from the alcohol.

T - Semi-sweet cocoa powder, intense roasted malts. The moderate oak flavor blends with the cocoa to create a strange beach nut type of flavor. Lacquer thinner. The hops and alcohol band together and form an astringent bitterness on the finish.

M - Chewy but smooth, if that makes any sense. A bit hot.

Well I was slightly disappointed by this one. I probably should have let this mellow out. The oak seemed a bit overwhelming and the solvent presence was strong. Everything seemed to be battling to get ahead of one another. I loved the original Yeti.
I might buy another bottle and age it.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

22oz bomber, aged no longer than it sat on the shelf at the store, so hard to say. Bottle wasn't dusty, looked in good shape (ie label was crisp and not peeling)

A - Looked good, this might have been the best part. Pitch black, amber head, dissipated fairly quickly leaving a small lace. That black-hole color of serious imperial stouts is a huge turn on.

S - Also no slouch. Smelled slightly dried-fruity, raisins or currants. Plenty of coffee and roasted malt scent, and a bit of hops.

T&M - This was a disappointment. Perhaps I should have let it age to allow the flavors to gel better, but that undercurrent of hops I picked up on in the scent were oddly all over the place in the flavor, especially when the beer was still cold. I strongly recommend against drinking this beer much cooler than room temperature, the hops dominated way more than I expected for an Imp Stout. As it warmed up, the hops backed off of the initial taste and the coffee and fruitiness came through a bit more, but fairly quickly the hoppiness makes itself felt, and not in a particularly balanced way. All in all, the beer was good, at best, once it warmed up. The mouthfeel was fine, pleasant viscosity and thickness, somehow reminded me of an Sam Adams Cream Stout (a personal favorite - a bit generic, I know).

D - I did not finish the bottle. Partially because I just was getting full, but also because the flavor was becoming overwhelming on my palette, and was becoming cloying.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Imp Stouts in general, no question my favorite style of beer. I was tremendously excited about this one and very disappointed in the result, so perhaps some of my negativity was driven by my expectations not being met. I'm thinking of buying another bottle to cellar for a couple years and try it again later.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company