Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 4,273
3.44/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottled 10/31/11

A: Pours jet black with a nice finger high layer of dark mocha head that laces the glass nicely.

S: Roasted grains, fruity esters, vanilla, and a barley-wine like alcohol maltiness are apparent off the top. There is a very clean hop aroma.

T: There is an adequate amount of roasted and chocolate flavors, but the vanilla really overpowers and kills the taste. It leaves you with a very odd aftertaste.

M: Full bodied, but carbonation is a little over done. Probably would be perfect if you let age for a while.

O: Was really expecting more from this, but I think it was the vanilla that really masked all the really good flavors and flattened out any great aroma that would have come from the grain bill. This might be a great beer if aged for a least 1 year before drinking. (801 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Black pour with brown head (draft in 12oz tulip); strong coffee bean nose; medium mouthfeel; exhale is roasted coffee bean fighting with oak; alcohol well hidden (10%);finish is dry wood and coffee grounds-too much coffee? (222 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Black body with a thin tan head.

Aromas of cardammom, ginger, and roasty chocolate malt.

The flavors are cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, dark chocolate, and espresso and they work amazingly well together. Who knew chai and stout would be such a great combo, but they play well off one another. Seems like a milk stout may have been the base beer.

Each sip makes me want to try another, so that's good. Medium body is round and smooth on the palate.

Great beer that goes great with my dessert.

Serving type: on-tap (514 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Aroma: Cafe mocha. Black licorice. Some hoppy aromas too.

Looks: Onyx black, can't see through it. Big brownish beige head. Good head retention.

Taste: Chocolate, espresso. Alcohol is tasted. It's a bit earthy. Black licorice. Some vanilla, but I had to really look for it.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Fine carbonation, lower than average. (345 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured extremely dark with a thinish tan head. Nose was musty, a little spicy, and alcohol, not extremely pleasant. Taste was big and malty, a little roasty, alcohol, and plumbs. Mouthfeel has moderately low carbonation, pretty decent.

Definitely not a favorite, but not bad. (319 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

First things first. I love Yetis. I love Sasquatch. I love Abominable Snowmen. I love Men of the Wood! I love any and all names, styles and sub-families of Bigfeet. Don't believe me? I recently saw a movie called, 'Not Your Typical Bigfoot Movie'. Not enough? I've seen Abominable, Night of the Demon, Harry and the Hendersons, Legend of Boggy Creek, Drawing Flies, The Wildman of the Navidad...yeah. So, what's my point? My point IS (you smarmy jerk!) that the only reason I grabbed this beer is because I LOVE BIGFOOT!

I'm not a very big fan of RIS's, so, do what you will with this review. Hell, I don't even drink coffee. Nevertheless, here's my diagnosis of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout.

Appearance of these beers are always my favorite aspect. Dark as sin with a beige and retaining head. Leaves a nice ringed lace as well.

Smokey coffee. Bold. Strong. Not my strong suit with this beer. I have nasal polyps. It's overwhelming in the roasty coffee area.

Similar to the smell, you get a blast of coffee aroma, but also bits of chocolate, booze and some nice slices of dark fruits. Too bad for me about the coffee.

Smooth, heavy, creamy and kinda boozy. It's nice.

Drinkability revolves entirely around if I want to drink this with one of the next Bigfoot movies I watch. (1,283 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz bomber bottle in a pint glass.

Poured like motor oil, or molasses. Almost no carbonation apparent, a tiny ring of creamy foam appeared around the edge of the glass. Looks pretty scary.

Quite a bit of hop aroma, which is surprising to me. Never had a really hoppy stout before. This is definitely no guinness.

The taste is insane. There is so much going on here, it's hard to know where to begin. A significant hop presence, an odd creamy grapefuit taste, some roastiness, a faint vanilla note, and then a bitter finish. The transitions between flavors are quite confusing.

Pretty low carbonation, as expected, and fairly thick, but the bitterness allows it to finish cleanly without any sticky residue.

Not bad, overall, but at 9.5%, one is all I'd want at a time. Interesting, but I don't know if I'd buy it again. (835 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

22 oz bomber. Black oily look with a dense, creamy reddish-brown head that shows no signs of dissipating any time soon. Smells of milk chocolate, coffee, and a touch of wood. Tastes very roasted, with the burnt malt dominating. There is a wood flavor and some vanilla esters in there somewhere but you have to find them before the burnt aftertaste overwhelms things. Mouthfeel is creamy and oily, very satisfying. The drinkability is good from the standpoint of hiding the abv but wow. The burnt taste is giving me heartburn. A well-crafted example of a style that I'm thinking just isn't me. (592 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

Creamy tan head, and the beer is black as night. Really great lacing. Clings to the sides the whole way down. A great looking stout.

Smells of hops and caramel and oakiness. But the smell is subdued.

A very thick and creamy beer. Strong taste and lots of flavors. Chocolate, caramel, hops, and even some fruitiness -- a touch of cherries. The strength of the alcohol is well hidden.

I have mixed feelings about the taste. It's an interesting stout, but I'm not a big fan of stouts to begin with. I don't want to unfairly punish the beer due to my dislike of the category, but I believe I've had better ones. I liked the Samual Smith Imperial Stout a lot more.

Anyway, this is a unique beer with a complex taste. A 3 1/2 is the best I can do though, as far as taste.

In the end, this isn't a great session beer. It's thick and heavy. A 100 degree day in August probably isn't the best time to review it. Maybe I'll try it again in the winter. (957 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Black as night, pours with a medium heavy brown head with plenty of lacing.

S- This is unlike most of the regular coffee note stouts. Plenty of hops that come right out at you. The hops kinda drown out many of the other smells, but there is a bit of vanilla and some maltyness.

T- Great sweetness with hops that balance out the malt. Great vanilla aromas, coffee, and some berries.

M- Great chewy stout, light carbonation (Fits this beer well). I guess chewy is the bast way to describe this one.

D- Great stout, it just made my top 5 in stouts just for its originality. Will get this one again!

Wavz (619 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

Thanks to limesmut for this one.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a complete black with a big two finger brown colored head that definitely takes its time to die down. Stickiness is insanely good, holds on all over the sides of the glass. Smell is big caramel malt, roasted barley, and a hint of vanilla. A hint of booze is also detected in the nose, but doesn't seem to distract. Taste starts off with a sweet chocolate malt that is quickly taken over by a vodka-like flavor. Some coffee on the tongue, but the alcohol flavor seems to linger and distract. Aftertaste is a vanilla vodka like tingle, way too much alcohol flavor for a 9.5% beer. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a mild amount of carbonation. Drinkability suffers because of the big alcohol flavor throughout. Wasn't really impressed by this one. (829 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -17.7%

Oak aged yeti-  Bottled Dec 7, 2010, drank Jan 22, 2012

A: pours an extremely dark black with an extremely dark caramel head.

S: Light hint of dark raisins and roasted malts. Very subtle in smell

T: This has been a very interesting hitting my taste buds with slight hints of raisin and chocolate with a finish of chocolate and oak. The flavors are very subdued and mild with the age on this beer. Easy to drink but not to overly flavorful

M: Sits on the tongue very well. Great body that lets you know that the flavors are there without being overwhelimg or to sweet. Great balance.

O: for the price i could drink this beer over and over again.  I wish the flavors were more distinguished  but overall a great imperial stout for he price. (748 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

On-tap. Served in a 5 oz taster glass at encintas ale house.

A- Pours the darkest of browns with a one finger off white head which leaves a few lines of lacing behind.

S- Lots of earthy oak, brown sugar, booze soaked raisins and plumbs, coffee beans and some roasted malt.

T- Oak stands out, almost to the point of overpowering, with coffee, roasted malt, dark fruits, brown sugar, char and some smoke. There is some astringent qualities at the end which is unpleasant.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry with char and some smoke.

O- Not terribly drinkable as the astringency and over proounced oak characteristics seem to mask the base beer. The abv was hidden well though. (689 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance: Deep black in color, with a modest tan head, completely opaque, with attractive scattered lacing.

Aroma: Deep, dense aroma of dark bitter chocolate, as well as coffee, and alcohol, very pleasing.

Taste: Opens with strong notes of stale coffee, and wood, there is a pronounced harsh chemical bitterness, with notes of rubber and plastic. A bitter medicinal note lingers on well past the end of the taste. The harsh chemical qualities fade somewhat, but never entirely disappear as the beer warms. The stale coffee notes remain constant. Finishes very dry with excessive tannins.

Mouth feel: Sof, smooth, full in body, little carbonation, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: I really wanted to like this beer, but I was not able to. The ordinary Yeti is far better. The harsh chemical character ruins would could have been a world-class beer. (864 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

color is an opaque,deep brown, pours a half finger of dark brown head. Aroma is nice, coffee, chocolate, and interestingly some hoppy pine as well. Taste is bitter espresso and cocoa upfront,followed by a grainy, malty taste, then an earthy, piney bite. Texture of the beer is quite thin, with pretty high carbonation. overall i was quite underwhelmed, for an oak aged stout i found that this beer lacked balance, the hoppy flavor was not welcome in an imperial stout and did not compliment the rich, malt flavors in my opinion. some sweetness would have gone a long way. (571 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle dated October 2009, picked this up at Gomers in KC last year.

A – Dark rich black color, nice brown head that pairs nicely with the body.

S – Lots of earthy notes in the nose, some dark dank fruit also, a very mild vanilla smell and nice roasted malt. Not a lot of oak to this, could the aging have stripped that away?

T – A very rich earthy taste, some woodiness, and a decent amount of roast. But something either is still developing or over developed because it felt like it was missing a little something.

M – Exceptional, nice carbonation and a little on the thick side which I like for a big stout.

O – I might have either opened this too early or too late, I’m curious if an additional year or two would have added more, I guess I’ll have to wait and find out since I have one more bottle in my cellar.
Still love the Yeti line, wish more breweries would make more readily available stout variates similar to GD Yeti. (956 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A: pours a deep jet black with a tannish color of head. About ½ fingers worth of head formation, some lacing but not too much.

S: I immediately pick up on the huge sweet oak notes and bourbon along with moderate amount of figs, molasses and minor chocolate. There is also a slight grassy hop note lying in the background

T: Oak and hop bitterness dominate the palate, but more hoppiness than anything else. There is a slight chocolate and mild vanilla creaminess, but its immediately drawn away from the hoppy finish. Alcohol is present but its complimentary to the beer. Complexity definitely lacking on this one (unlike the bottle stating “Massively Complex”.)

M: Full body, actually quite nice for this beer. Moderate carbonation. It fits for this brew

O: Not all that impressed with this one. Bottle isn’t lying when it states “huge hops”… Bitter hops and strong oak are the main charactesr in this bee. I usually enjoy GDB’s offerings, but this one I can go without. (990 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Pours jet black with a dark tan head. You can't see anything through this beer.

S: Dark chocolate, black coffee, dark fruits and alcohol.

T: More dark chocolate and a certain vanilla flavor from the oak. The alcohol is not afraid to show itself. Dark fruits also appear.

M: Smooth and syrupy thick.

D: Average for a RIS. (327 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

A- Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter. Pours a dark brown with no head.

S- Definite oak, coffee, and dark malt. Smells a bit of wet cardboard to me too. I am not sure I like the nose on heavily oaked beer.

T- This is a stout for sure. Oakey notes come through strongly with a strong hop profile. You still get the coffee and dark malts similar other stouts.

M- Lower carbonation but good for this stout.

D- This is a tough one to drink to much of but I did enjoy this glass. (484 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured (from tap, into 3-oz glass sampler) an opaque, thick black, with a pleasing brown haze throughout as the head developed. Head is a dark tan it is not long lasting, but is a bit clingy.

Dark chocolate and alcohol on the nose. I was disappointed in the smell, though there was some nice spicyness.

Sweetness and a slight carbonation kick up front - milk chocolate and vanilla flavors. Some bitterness, leaving dark chocolate on the palate.

A good, certainly above-average imperial stout, but... it just didn't entirely do it for me. (540 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17%

This is a big beer with lots of stuff going on.

It pours almost black with a vigorous foamy brown head. Got lots of malt, chocolate and espresso aromas from this one along with a distinct woody smell. The taste matched the aroma and I could taste the oak coming through. The beer was very smooth and complex but I found the alcohol aftertaste a little over powering. (368 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -17%

Thanks to Jwale73 for sharing!!
A - Pours super black/brown with a light brown head that falls to a light covering.
S - Smells of coffee, roasted malt and bourbon.
T - The taste is very bitter and oaky. Chocolate, alcohol and coffee.
M/F - Medium body. Fairly smooth and heavily carbonated.
D - A decent brew but not to my liking style wise. (341 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into tasting glasses. Thanks to DoctorDog for bringing this one over.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of medium to light tan head. Settles slowly to a thin yet complete coating of foam. Decent lacing The beer itself is dark brown and completely opaque. No sediment in the the bottle.

Smell: Mild smell, hard to pick much up. Hints of vanilla.

Taste: Very boozy in the finish; dominated by oak and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Just okay. I think the addition of the oak is detrimental to this beer, rather than complimentary. I had this one next to an aged version, about 3 years old, and while I liked the aged one better, neither really blew my socks of. I like regular Yeti much better. (797 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Black, no light. Moderate off-white head with some nice lacing.

Aroma: Definitely smells roasted. Reminded me of the burnt flavor of Starbucks coffee. There is also bitter chocolate and obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel: A bit underwhelming. It's not as full-bodied as I would expect and has a prickly carbonation.

Taste: The taste is of the burnt coffee as I referenced in the aroma, bitter chocolate and a somewhat acidic taste. the alcohol was not well hidden in my opinion and, while the oak in noticeable, it doesn't compliment the character well.

Overall impression: I'll need to sample the regular Yeti again, but based on my recollection, I prefer the regular to the oak. That's unusual for me as I tend to favor the wood aged varieties. It's a decent Imperial stout, but far from the best. (808 characters)

22 oz bomber, bottled on date: Dec 7th 2010; poured into a pint glass

A: Pours an opaque jet black with a 2 fingers width dark mocha colored head. It has a thick, viscous appearance as it pours. The head dissipates at a moderate rate to a thin film that leaves decent lacing.

S: Vanilla, coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate. Subtle hints of alcohol, which are by no means dominating.

T: First sip is of strong burnt and roasted malts. Early on there are some hints of coffee/espresso, vanilla, and dark chocolate with some occasional hop bitterness noted on the after taste. The subtle complexities are nice but the early drink is definitely dominated by burnt and roasted malt characters. Then, about halfway through the first glass of the bomber, it takes a turn for the worse. The alcohol flavors really start to come out, and not in a subtle, pleasant way. Every sip is completely dominated by the presence of alcohol. The complex characters that were initially present are entirely masked by the alcoholic esters. After I finish the first glass and pour the rest of the bomber into the glass I have high expectations that it will make a turn for the better. But again after the first couple sips the alcohol comes right back out and dominates the drink. Very disappointing.

M/D: Sooth and well carbonated with a good initial mouthfeel. But the predominating alcohol characters really decrease its drinkability.

O: The bottle says, “Massive” and “Complex”. I would agree with the former, but not necessarily the latter. I wouldn’t say it is well balanced, or particularly complex. The potential that this beer showed early on was effectively destroyed by the dominating alcohol characters that took over the drink. It was mostly just roasted, burnt malts and alcohol. I was disappointed with this beer, and don’t plan on trying it again. (1,860 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company