Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,216 | Reviews: 1,623
3.96/5  rDev -7%

Oh my! Poured from a 22 into my "good for what ales you frequent flyer" stout glass. Poured about half of the glass from about 6 inches. Poured black and thick, the head settled out after some rapid fizzles resulting in a caramel tanned foamy puffed head.

The aroma released from the rapid foaming head was very deep. Smelled almost like a wooden barrel filled with carmelized sugar. Awesome. I had to get a sip. First sip tasted very rich and very well toasted, suprisingly hopped. Very good stuff.

Alcohol is peaking out from the depths of the black stuff. The feel is prickly and smoothed over. Medium to heavy bodied. Full strength stout. Need to let it warm up.

Warmer now. Not up to room temp yet. Much sweeter, less alcohol taste even deeper and richer. I am suprised.

Getting some expresso with robust cocoa influence. Bottle claims vanilla flovor. I get none. As the stouts warms further the aroma is even stronger preparing the senses for the taste.

I judge that the heavy malt profile is well balanced by the hops. The hoppiness was unexpected but plays well with the sweets and alcohol.

Entire mouthful sloshed around yields to big foamy feels that are a bit thick and syrupy. Probably about right for a double stout but I'm not sure since I don't have a thorough baseline of double stouts for comparison.

I really like this one for its complexity and grand depths. I'll probably get throught the bomber and possibly get another when I stop by for singles. Next time I'll share.

I gave this a "5" for appearance. This stuff looked so damn good when I poured it. The laces are smothered to my favorite pint glass. Unbelieveable.

Overall, this is a bad ass beer. The YETI would be proud.

22oz bomber, probably purchased a year ago, in south bend, had the regular yeti the other night

appearance: pours a rich/full black colour, motor oil esque but not as thick...a light bubbly chocolatey head...lacing left behind is a little uninspiring for a double stout

smell: sweet and rich chocolate, lots of roasted malt, chocolate covered cherry, vanilla, woody, heavy licorice aroma, fair amount of alcohol in the nose, mild coffee...very rich

taste: very bittersweet chocolate, syrupy, strong licorice, milky coffee, plum, cherry...dark chocolate, the results of oak aging are minimal in my opinion...mildy woody, delicate vanilla...fair grassy hop profile still shows signs. This is very good but the regular yeti is better imo

mouthfeel: smooth, alcohol hidden fairly well, creamy

drinkability: rich and heavy, but tasty

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

16.9 oz brown bomber. No freshness dating.

The beer is a midnight black with a large initial tan head. Simply awesome lacing patterns.

The beer smells of plums, raisins, port wine, alcohol & molasses. I don’t pick-up much roasted or coffee type aromas.

The taste really tracks the smell. Lots of dark fruit, a bit of sweetness that almost reminds me of an old fashioned molasses cookie. Some roasted malts emerge with a bit of vanilla, but I get more roasted malt flavor from almost any other stout. I don’t really pick-up the hops. How can that be if this beer is 75 IBUs? Don’t get me wrong, this is a massive and enjoyable beer.

The mouth is creamy and smooth. While not an everyday beer for me, this is very enjoyable and one I will revisit.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Deep dark black in color with a tan brown head, leaving a spotty lacing. The smell is very nice, with hints of roasted coffee and dark chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Taste is nearly perfect, dark fruits seem to be hidden inside, but not always noticed with vanilla, coffee, and chocolate kicking in, not to mention the hop bitterness hidden in there as well. Heavy, very viscous, medium to full bodied with only a little carbonation, but quite enjoyable. I would definately have another, but I would like to try the original Yeti first to compare the two.

3.79/5  rDev -11%

This pours out into my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip a glopping, robust black, upon which I am required to force-pour a very thin head. Like a couple of other serious Imperial Stouts, this one just doesn't want to hold a head, though the brown-brown-brown ring that remains leaves behind spots of lacing.

This has a dark, roasty malt smell that carries scents that I am positive have been imparted by the oak aging - a kind of astringent vanilla. It's robust, for sure.

The taste definitely carries characteristics of oak aging, and I wish now that I had bought the original Yeti to compare the two. The taste begins very, very smooth, with a vanilla-bean maltiness, then transitions to a hard-hitting astringent, alcoholic malt and hop profile that kicks with a brief, Cascade-like bitterness.

Smooth, thick mouthfeel that packs an alcoholic warming punch - I recommend letting it warm as you sip. Carbonation is minimal, but the alcohol bites a little harder than I'd like, and makes the mouthfeel a little too harsh for something thick.

This beer packs a serious punch, heavy, complex, and aggressive, despite - or perhaps due to - the aok cask aging. I fully intend to try the original Yeti.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am drinking a 22 oz bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip. The ale is slightly chilled.

Appearance: The ale is deep, midnight black. Hints of ruby red emerge when the ale is held to light. It pouts with a decent head that leaves a nice lace pattern.

Smell: The buttery oak notes dominate and stout/roast character. The aroma is very pleasing and does not come across as overly sweet.

Taste: The buttery flavor noted in the nose continues into the taste. In this instance (unlike some other oak aged stouts), there is no cloying sweetness. The is a soft sweet note imparted from the barrels, but it mixes nicely with the strong roasted malt flavor of the stout.

Mouthfeel: The ale seems to burn a little in the mouth. The buttery oak and roasted flavors mix very well outside of that.

Drinkability: The strength of the flavors is a bit overpowering. Despite that, this is a good ale, although I look forward to trying it outside of the oak casks.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Fascinating. Some friends and I did a side-by-side tasting of the Oak Aged next to regular Yeti. Truly enlightening. I'd had Oak Aged before, by itself, and the oak characteristics did not jump out as glaringly as they did in the side-by-side tasting.

First, i took a whiff of the regular Yeti. Nice potent, roasty Imperial aroma. Spot on for the style. Then, i picked up the glass of Oak Aged and inhaled. Wow, loads of oakiness overwhelming all the aroma found in the original.

Then a sip of the regular. Exactly what you'd expect from a RIS. Deep roasted, chocolate notes. Thick and alcohol-forward. I proceeded to the Oak Aged and holy crap. It was like chewing on a piece of furniture. The original Yeti was in there somewhere, but well-hidden behind an overpowering oak character. Nothing remotely subtle about it. Oak oak oak.

This would probably be a good crossover beer for bourbon snobs.

But the oak flavor is so mind-blowing that it detracts from the overall enjoyability and drinkability of the beer. They should tone it down a bit. Original Yeti wins hands-down.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Paid $6.99 for a 22oz bomber in Boulder, CO. 9.5% ABV, 75 IBU's. Aged on a bed of French and toasted oak chips.

Pours out to what appears to be clear near black but not opaque. Not quite as thick as I expect for an Imperial, but then my Impys are Founder and Bells which are like oil. At any rate, the bubbles to take some time to rise, telling me that this is still a hefty brew. They form a sticky and thick dark cocoa head with superior retention and beautiful sticky lacing. Carbonation is moderate. I get the impression that this was force carbonated. The aroma is akin to a Baltic Porter with a ton of raisins, prunes, dates, vanilla, black walnut and cocoa, held in check by some lightly herbaceous hops. The mouthfeel is semi-oily with a dense but not syrupy body. The taste is a recap of the aroma. Compared to the regular Yeti, the green grassy hops have mellowed, and the off-flavors and fusels are absent. The mouthfeel is still somewhat harsh, especially in the charred aftertaste and there is a burnt wood/acetone finish still there that I don't care for. Vanilla still stands up against these faults in the finish.

MUCH better than the regular Yeti, but still not a favorite in my list of Impy stouts. The aging has helped soften the faults tremendously but it still has a way to go.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. Yeti Oak Aged Stout pours out a nearly black color with a large dark brown head. The aroma is so chocolatey and malty. Some woody characteristics in the nose, but it's mainly chocolate and roasted malt. The flavor follows from the aroma, although there is more hop flavor than I expected. Thick and chewy maltiness. Alcohol burns the throat occasionally. Very similar to the regular Yeti Imperial Stout. I only detect a little oak flavor. A very good beer, but a bit expensive ($8 for 22 ounce bottle).

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance: pours out a thick and red to purple color with a lacing that's the same color. It has a fruity sweet and sour smell. The smell is quite different, but when you get used to it, it is very enjoyable. Fruity smell of plum and grape. The dark roasted coffee is a good aftertaste. It's good. Very hoppy and it tastes great, and it seems to hide the coffee flavor until it sits on your tongue. Mouthfeel is heavy, but not quite full-bodied. I enjoyed this beer immensely, a great victory The Great Divide Brewery.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Looks like dirty old engine oil as I pour it into my tulip glass. In the glass there are hints of brown and burgundy that creep around the edges. The head is a bright tan copper that fell to a ring and left a great lace.

Smells of grassy rhubarb, smoky coffee, chocolate and something that I can only say reminds me of barbecue chicken.

The flavor begins with a an initial crisp dry coffee, a definite woody oak and a nip of hops. It then fades into a mind blowing blueberry sweetness. I thought this was a fluke, but upon successive tastes, it was there every time. The fruity notes then transition into a coffee and smooth dark chocolate. This beer finishes with a dry lingering espresso. Great dynamics here, top notch!

The mouth feel is medium bodied with tiny bubbles that are so smooth it gives the impression of pudding or a milk shake.

Nice beer. A little too much coffee in the finish, but terrifically enjoyable.

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours out just as black as the normal yeti... black black black. Big dark tan head foams up. looks very spongy. good lacing. Smells initially like chocolate. Some roasted coffee aromas. hoppy smell does sneak through. this is one stouty stout. Tastes very rich and heavy. Very sweet to me. I like this, but i dont think i like this one as much as the regular yeti. The mouthfeel is the thickest i've ever had that i can think of. Very full. Lots of malts. Good carbonation.

Overall i wish i would have saved this a few years before i had it. I think it needs some milding. I think its a great beer though, but i would prefer the normal yeti.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber. Bottle states that the beer contains 75 IBUs.

A - dark, pitch black. Like looking into a cave in the mountains with no light coming through at all. Head is a tight netting of bubbles that hang around to the end, relenting to a small circle by the time I'm finished. Not much lacing. Head color is distinctive of roasted barley, a frothy cappucino/tan color.

S - sweet, vinous smell. Hint of vanilla, fruit, rum? Definitely coffee. Lots of roasted coffee smells. A tad bit of hops in the nose but nothing I can place. Just picking a faint bit of alcohol.

T - wow. Big beer. Sweet flavor of malt dominates, background of alcohol. Delicious like a coffee spiked with bourbon or rum or something. I can taste some hops, but I'm shocked this is a 75 IBU beer. Bitterness comes predominantly from the barley here, not a lot of hop bitterness or flavor. Sweet roasted malt abounds, with background of vanilla sweetness.

M - thick, viscous beer. Sticks to your tongue, but a very smooth beer. Alcohol does not burn and is well hidden.

D - lord this is a great beer to drink, but there's no way I could have more than one in a sitting. Thickness fills you up quickly. I was bloated by the time I finished this.

Overall - if you see this beer on the shelf, get it and try it, you won't be disappointed. However, it's not something I'm going to tell the grandkids about. I have two bottles and will thoroughly enjoy them, but not a beer I'll buy again.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

pitch brown with an inch of brown head that leaves a web of lacing.

bourbon and chocolate sweetness in the nose. dark fruity sweetness and a touch of bitter as well, but seems more like a bitter chocolate than a hop bitterness. aroma reflects the high alcohol content. not getting the vanilla scent that everyone else (including the bottle label) mentions.

lots of chocolate in the taste as well, with some burnt coffee and piney bitterness. medium mouthfeel for an Imperial Stout; low carbonation.

very drinkable until the 9.5% kicks in; alcohol is present in the nose but not the taste.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Absolutely pitch black, with a fine layer of small, latte-like bubbles.

Aroma is huge...roasted malts, hazelnut, hardwood smoke, ozone, coffee.

Taste is rich and complex, with a thick, chewy mouthfeel. A decent amount of hops lead the way, citric mostly. Sugary sweet body, with hot fudge, mocha, dark chocolate, and mild notes of cherry cordial. Almost gets a little estery towards the end, fleeting alcohol warmth. A truckload of bitter and roasty malt keeps the mouthfeel active but heavy, yet it keeps getting overruled by sweetness.

This is a *large* yeti, and a brute of a beer. Proceed with caution.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is a beast of a beer. It pours black, nothing but black. The head is thick and a dark cappuccino color. The head stays for a long while and leaves loads of lacing. It smells of vanilla, coconut, and oak. There is lots going on in the nose (it almost has a smell of soy sauce, is my bottle bad? Am I crazy?).

The taste is bold. It makes me think of red wine with the complexities going on here. There is just so much to pay attention to. It is a little viscous, more so than I would like. Then again, it makes me think of bourbon--So much going on. Strong tastes of burnt coffee and burnt chocolate and a little spicy. Dark roasted malts with a very earthy taste with slight vanilla hints.

This is a big beer, both in taste and alcohol (9.5% ABV). While it is good, it is not for me. This is obviously a very popular beer, but it isn’t something that I would drink on a regular basis. It is just too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, good beer, just not for me.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

The last bottle in the store... 22 oz. with silver foil around the cap. It pours a viscous inky black with an orangey/brown head that leaves a collar and thin island of bubbles. It tries to lace but I keep swirling it away. Beautiful. It smells roasty/chocolatey, with green/flowery hops, hop oils, vanilla, coffee, and buttery/nutty flavors. It is soft on the nose but quite aromatic, and it smells good enough to be a milkshake flavor. The body is very thick and smooth but could coat the mouth better. It tastes of roasted/black malts, a lot of IBUs (75), coffee, green/piney hops, and hop oils. Overall malty up front and hoppy behind. A quality brew - top-notch. Now to try the original Yeti.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured out a deep jet black color with a dark tannish head which left behind a nice lacing. Nose had a strong oak aroma with a good dose of malts and a touch of sweetness in the background. Very strong nose though. Taste was pretty much the same. Strong oak flavors with big roasted malts. Hops are there but are pretty much drowned with the oak and malts. Finishes with a good oak flavor. Mouthfeel was medium with good carbonation. If anything, it might of been too light for double stout standards. But a good stout nonetheless and one I'll look forward to from time to time.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

I figured that if somebody could be trusted to do oak-aging responsibly, it might be great divide. Nope. They fall in the same way most others do - by taking a great beer and just adding a smeared sharp liquor flavor to it that to me tastes like it could be from an extract - Liquid Oak. Liquid Suck?

Gorgeous black, dark perfect head, lacing, the whole deal. Smell is where the pain starts and it continues well into the finish of the flavor. There is this brash vanilla whisky thing going on with a finish of sickening black licorice. Although well melded, it does not complement the deep malt flavors that were already in the beer. As I have said before, if it tastes like someone mixed a shot of whisky into my beer, I am going to be pissed. Give me barrels, give me wood, give me subtle oak and vanilla, but keep this higher-alcohol nasty-ass twang out of my beer.

No thanks.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

01/06/06- Received via trade with

Presentation- 22oz bottle without freshness information. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Semi thick black pour, dirty brown full inch head. Looks like coaco color. Patchy and streaky lace in different places.

Smell- Lots of nice dark chocolate scents as well as some dark fruits..plums especially. Oh yeah, you can't forget the overwhelming coffee espresso like scent.

Taste- Equal parts coffee and dark chocolate. Nice deep malt flavor that mixes well with these flavors. Nice mild hop bitterness kick as well. Oak flavors add to the taste of this beer, as do the nice dark fruits.

Mouthfeel- Mid range carbonation for a imperial. Moderate thickness as well.

Drinkability- One of the better ones for sure. Odd that I tried the oak aged one before the regular Yeti. Very tasty and refreshing. Not quite up there with Stone, but not far.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured jet black with no light coming through. Nice tan head that sticks around for a bit with good lacing.

N: roasted malts, some chocolate, and a small amount of vanilla and hop smell in there.

T: I get hit with chocolate and roasted malt tastes up front fading into a hint of vanilla and bittersweet chocolate.

M: Very good mouthfeel, lots of flavors coming through more and more as it warms, very balanced beer.

D: very high for me, and to me the alcohol is hidden pretty well in this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Served at cellar temperature. Deep dark brown and impenetrable. A half inch of wispy and thick brown meringue caps off the liquid and forms a barrier to the nectar below. Even as it settles, it moves slowly and leaves spotty dimples of foam rising up the glass.

As it sits on the table a few feet away I can already smell cocoa and raisins. Drawing it closer to the nose brings out currant and bitter chocoloate, bitter espresso, molasses and brown sugar. This is all punctuated by fine hops and an unmistakeable oaky smokey backbone.

Flavor at first is nothing but delicious. I can't begin to decipher until after savoring a few sips. Seems mostly tangy upfront from oak and smoke, pungent with sharp raisins and figs, finishing with nuances of cocoa and toffee and molasses. Piney hoppy burps round it out. There is a bit of punch from the ABV, but it doesn't detract from the flavor and adds a nice warming effect. Goes well with roasted chestnuts. Very enjoyable to sip by the fire on a snowy New Year's Eve in New England.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Dark black body. Dark brown head. Tons of delicate little bubbles that linger for a long time

Nose: Wow.... Wonderful.Lots of bourbon and vanilla. Roasted barley. Milky chocolate.

Taste: Wonderful. More Vanilla. Some Oak. More chocolate. Bourbon tastes as well. Smooth and creamy. Very thick.

Wow, what a wonderful beer. I really hope I can get a few more bottles of this.... One of the better oaked stouts I think...

4.6/5  rDev +8%

22 oz. from Central Market, Dallas, TX. This beer travels well in 737s.

Pours an opaque deep brown, almost black. Looks like used motor oil. Head is deep tan and holds up well until about mid pint.

Smell is overwhelming but in a good way. Burnt coffee, chocolate and bourbon.

Taste is exceptional. Immediate hit of chocolate and vanilla. Like a vanilla and dark chocolate haagen dazs ice cream bar. A nice hit of bourbon flavor about mid way through and a dry hop finish. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is strong as well. Very syrupy up front with flavors lingering for quite some time. Through the bottle, you get more and more of the drying hop presence. Very balanced.

This is a once in a while beer for me. While it may be the best stout I have ever had, it is definitely too much to be a regular in my rotation. I will still grab one every time I see it. I suppose it would cellar well?

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

22oz
Pours a very impressive black with a cascade of dark brown bubbles. Awesome head. I found myself watching the head settle. Again, awesome. Smell is burnt, coffee, a hint of chocolate and wild turkey.

Taste is dominated by bourbon and burnt grain. Not bad… Hides the alcohol a bit better than the regular Yeti.

Get this one just to see the pour. Spectacular. Unfortunately, the beer is just ok.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company