Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,616 | Hads: 4,321
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

A beautiful dark roasted brown with a great 1 inch tan coffee head. Sticky lacing with good retention. Very carbonated.

Aromas of oak, toasty vanilla, black currant, black cherry, dark choclate, coffee, with a roasted malt aroma, and some, hops and alcohol.

Big on the coffee in the front and mid palate. Could probably call it espresso. A shit load of hops. Damn I'd like to try the unoaked Yeti to see how much coffee that bad boy has. Nice toasty vanilla character on the finish. Cassis in the background, with a choclate covered cherry flavor also. Oak is not that pronounced and I think it could have stood out a little more. Very tannic but smooth tannins at that on the mouthfeel with a 2 minute coffee finish.

Because of large espresso coffee characteristics I couldn't drink many of these but I would drink them quite often.

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%

Near blackness, brilliant toasted sienna head that turns almost dark brown when you move the glass about. It never goes away. Vinous alcohol and rich caramel dominate the nose. In the taste burnt chocolates and sticky caramels make way for a wonderfully drying hop finish. Oh boy can this beer finish. The hops are huge for an imperial stout. They just resonate on the back of your palate for minutes after each blast of pine and tamarack bark. This is so spicy my nose is going nuts and my taste buds are getting fried. I love it. This is oh so bitter and dry. Just wonderful.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Upon its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle, the beer takes up a very short residence in by goblet an atramentous color, the head a modest but thick and creamy chocolate brown, as it slowly fades into the distance, the lace forms a glutinous sheet to conceal the glass. Nose has a nice hint of oak, with a sweet malt backing, a perfect blend of toasted grains, chocolate and a whisper of hops, start is a bit sweet, the grain profile perfection and the top thick and rich. Finish is determined in its acidity, the hops spicy and perfect, also a bit of alcohol bitterness, aftertaste is as dry as my backyard desert, “WOW” what a treat, also notice a nice tummy warming, another winning and I must say monster beer from Great Divide.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Inspection: 75 IBUs, no date or abv.

Aroma: Full dark malt, wood, citric hops and lots of them. If I close my eyes, I can almost say 2IPA, but there is just enough leather, coffee and roasted malt to see the blackness in the dark

Appearance: Opaque black with just the slightest sliver of ruby when seriously backlit. Full frothy dark tan head waits patiently and promises to lace.

Flavor: The base Yeti (full classic double stout, hops overcoming all the roasted malt goodness) is still firmly there, but the finish lets in the oak character. I’m not a fan of “gratuitous oaking” but in this case, it does add a nice touch.

Mouthfeel: Fully carbonated, creamy texture, slightly drying and evidence of an alcohol prickle.

Overall Impression: Makes Yeti even better. Some days I’m in the mood for the straight monster, sometimes I want it oaked. Either way it’s dangerously drinkable, heavy in the best possible way, rich, hoppy, and just plain good any time of year. If you haven’t had the pleasure, seek, trade, beg, what ever it takes.
Very strongly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours an absolutely beautiful black body with a huge mocha colored head that lasts and lasts with prominent lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and oak among other things. All of the above can be detected in the taste as well as maybe an ever-so-slight hint of cherries, irish creme, and some vanilla as described on the label. Very hoppy, and I like that. It's unlike any other imperial stout I've had and I think that's awesome. If I didn't want something different and unique, I would have gotten a beer that I've had before and knew what to expect. This is a great suprise with a hop explosion which IMO doesn't block out the other wonderful flavors.

I highly recommend this beer as a great treat for the palate. A truly unique version of this style. All in all an incredible tasting beer, it's now one of my favorites and I will certianly visit this again. A must try.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown to almost black color. Nice tan head recedes quickly. Almost no head after inital pour. Carbonation low from appearance...

Aroma: Aroma permeated with roasted malts. A bit of fruitiness also detected. Cofee notes as well as toasted grain can be identified.

Taste: Definitely heavy on the roasted/toasted flavor. The flavor from the oak barrels definitely evident. Strong hop bitterness in the finish. More bitter than I was expecting. Alcohol evident in the flavor but tempered by the roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Very thick! Very smooth & creamy. Goes down very easily with the warming alcohol feeling. A bit of a cloying, smoky, bitter aftertaste, but doesn't adversely effect the impression.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable only when looking for something to go easy with. More of a dessert sipper. This is not one to take lightly. The flavor is as strong as its alcohol effects. Drink slowly & split a bomber with friends!

Comments: Was more bitter than other Imperial Stouts I've had, but this was a very good example. I likes the oakiness which was something new for me. I had a bomber on my own (which I had to spread over two days with a wine stopper!) & should have spread between friends. Very strong! Make sure you're sitting still for a while after this one...

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I like Great Divide's cartoony labels. I picked this bottle up in Boston.

The oak aged Yeti pours into my Westvleteren chalice pure black and very viscous looking. The head is modest but never disappears. Fantastic lacing adorns the glass, lots of it. The aroma is a heady mix of milk chocolate, oak, roasted malt, vanilla and floral hops. The taste is full of oak, vanilla, and hops. Roasted malt bitterness and chocolate also abound. A huge wack of hop bitterness is very present throughout, as is a sherry alcohol taste. The finish is bitter but full of malt nuance, and very long. The mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. Carbonation is light and very smooth.

This is one excellent Imperial Stout. Its got plenty of oak flavor and tonnes of hops. In fact is got lots of all the good IS flavors. This infinitely complex beer is a must try. Note for the faint of heart.

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this with great anticipation into a tulip glass and shared the bomber bottle with a good friend.

It poured a very dark black and an inch tall chocolate milk colored head slowly rose in the glass. It was a fine looking stout. The head remained for most of the beer, continually refreshed by swirling the glass.

I was a little surprised by the hoppiness of this beer, although the label does promote it as a fairly hopped up beer. I found it a little out of place for such a dark stout. Malty and some coffee aromas, with some slight toffiness as well.

This beer had many layers of flavors as it warmed up in the glass. It started quite bitter, very similar to a Bigfoot barley wine. As it warmed, it began to have almost a buttery quality, and the hoppiness definitely mellowed. It still had a very bitter aftertaste, though. I could also taste the hints of vanilla that were promised on the label. I liked this better as it warmed, but still was a bit put off by the high hop content.

It had a stout mouthfeel. Rich, smooth, not overly carbonated, and warming from high ABV which was very well hidden.

Overall, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine than an imperial stout. It was an interesting brew with many levels of flavors, but not my favorite.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bomber that I shared with jslot38...
A: Pours a ridiculously deep jet black with a frothy, inch and a half brown head. One of the best looking beers I've ever seen.
S: Chocolate and toffee malts with some earthy hops.
T: Consensus is that it tastes amazing. Thick chocolate taste with some caramel flavor mixed in. Hop presence is ridiculous for an IPA let alone a stout. Mostly earthy/flowery hops with some grass flavors mixed in. Finishes bitter with much hop flavor. Only downside is that the hops blow out much of the malt flavors, which are delicious but short-lived.
M: Thick and creamy. Pretty standard for a stout.
D: Clearly one of the best stouts I've ever had. The hop presence is refreshing, though this is probably not the stout I would pick if I were in the mood for a malty blast. Overall, a very delicious and impressive beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Presentation: 22 oz Bomber shared with pbr85.

Appearance: Wow... simply put, amazing. Lovely cascading effect as a dark tan and solid head forms over a pitch black body. Doesn't look like its going anywhere, we shall wait and see. Lacing is wonderful, layers of it just sticking to my glass at all points. Yes, it stayed around, perfect.

Smell: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a touch of caramel, hoppy eathiness.

Taste: A nice hoppy abbrasivness that just bursts open the fload gates to an amazing flood of chocolate, coffee, vanilla beans, earth ridden biscuit, a touch of caramel. The chocolate is dark, the coffee is roasted, and there is a nice smokiness that accompanies it. 75 IBUs, no kidding.

Mouthfeel: Not sure I've ever had a stout that has laid on my tongue quite like this one. Absolutly slick with a perfect level of carbonation.

Drinkability: Who cares? One, two, three, I'm pretty sure I'd ask for more of this one all night.

Notes: Great Divide has absolutly amazed me. Storm King falls short of this beauty. Absolutly amazing appearance, I didn't even want to disturb it, but thankfully I did, and oh what did I find but a wonderful experience.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured a nice, creamy and completely opaque black, with a fairly large, khaki colored head that stayed with the beer almost all the way down the glass as I drank. Quite a nice appearance, actually. Exactly what you'd expect when looking at an Imperial Stout.

The aroma, however, was not what you'd expect. I picked up faint traces of the vanilla-ish wood character, even more faint traces of some roastiness, but huge, huge amounts of hops. Much hoppier than I'd have expected, almost as though they changed their minds halfway through an imperial stout and decided to make an imperial IPA instead. It's not the IBUs that are off (75, per the website), it's just that all 75 are very much in your face. It isn't bad, mind you, which is why I still gave it a 4.0 on smell, but it isn't exactly what one would expect either.

The taste, unfortunately, continues along this hop line. I do get teasing hints that there's a delicious ADS underneath this hop blanket. Subtle vinous fruitiness sneaks through now and again, giving it almost a port character. The roasted malts add a flavor component that is quite nice, when they can be heard above the cacophany of hoppiness. Vanilla from the oak, black currant flavors... all of those appear to be in there, but they are just buried under the hop flavors and aromas. From the piney, resinous taste the hops leave in my mouth, I'm going to assume they use Chinook hops. Whatever it is, it just seems out of balance to me, considering the style they're brewing.

The mouthfeel is, conversely, almost perfect for an impy stout. It's not chewy, by any means, but you definitely know you are drinking something. Rather milky, perhaps a tad oily, but wonderful.

This is not something I'm likely going to grab again. It isn't bad. Truly it isn't. As stated above, there are hints of a brilliant beer in there. The hops -- and more to the point, the variety of hops and when they're added to the boil -- just overwhelm the excellent beer that's trying to get out. I didn't hate this, but I wanted so badly to like it more than I did.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Ego for scoring this one and sharing it with me and my sister to rate.

Served from a 22oz. bottle in a snifter at just below cellar temperature and allowed to warm.

A - Thick and syrupy pour. Very very dark brown with crimson highlights. Starts with a decent dark cocoa brown head that diminishes to nothing in well under a minute. Lacing is almost non existant, but this beer has huge legs like a pinot noir. Decent, but mostly nondescript for the style.

S - Buttery chocolate and coffee. Raisins and dark molasses. Notes of fresh green hoppiness and some alcohol. All nicely blended.

T - Dark sweet friuts in the front with some mild vanilla. Middle is super round and dessert-like with notes of cane-sugar sweetened espresso an dark chocolate cake. Back of the tongue is hugely drying with a bitter hop kick. Alcohol is detectable in the finish, but not too much so.

M - Super creamy to start, although a tiny bit large and not as slick as I was hoping for. With a rise in temperature, the mouthfeel definitely improved.

D - Delicious and smooth as an after dinner drink. Big flavors and big character. Easy going down.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a tulip. Black as coffee with a nice inch of chocolate milk head which fades shortly but leaves some nice lacing...overall the best appearance I've seen for the style. The smell is vinous. Pears, chocolate and coffee blend nicely and you can clearly make out the scent of fresh hops. Taste is pretty amazing, coffee and chocolate followed by some slightly sweet raison, fig and vanilla flavors. There is a nice and suprising belgian-like spiciness in the middle followed by some bourbon and vanilla tastes that really shine through as the brew warms. Lots of nice oily hops coat the tongue and linger bitterly in the aftertaste...didn't see that coming from a stout. Alcohol is hidden quite deceptively in the taste. Just a big, complex beast. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and perfect in my opinion. Drinkability is hindered slightly because of the abv and richness but I could easily polish off two bombers of this in a night. Overall one of my favorite beers from the stout family and one I could enjoy over and over again and maybe get just a bit more out of it everytime. Wonderful.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

This one pours almost black with a small head that sticks around as long as it takes me to finish the beer. Very inviting. The smell is richly decadent and very much like the regular non oak aged yeti. Very milk chocolatey with some coffee in there.

The taste adds some interesting flavors especially a very distinctive dry oakiness. A tasty vinous aspect shows up. There's also a little too much alcohol detectable here especially in the finish, which is also characterized by some bittering hops.

The mouthfeel seems too thin for a double stout. It could use a little more substance. The alcohol harshness also contributes in a negative way here. Overall, this is a very good offering but I prefer the regular Yeti over this one by a pretty wide margin.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Not a bad beer after takiing 45 plus days off for Lent. At first it seemed just too much alcohol and hops, but as you finish the beer the smell and taste are really enjoyable. Lots of raisins and plums, great dark color and nice drinkability.

Not for everybody, but those who like Russian Imperial Stouts would enjoy this.

Poured from a tap at capital ale house, this beer is absolutely black, with no light shining through. A thick brown head lasts a long time, and leaves a cap on the beer, and tremendous lacing on the glass.

Aroma: dark malts, bourbon, vanilla, and alcohol.

Flavor is nicely balanced, showing loads of vanilla, oak, sweet malts, pressure treated lumber(in a pleasant way), and molasses.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, full, and chewy. But drinkability suffers a bit. I drink a LOT of imperial stouts, but for some reason, I had to drink this one very slowly. By the end, it was almost a struggle to finish the 12 oz glass.

Very nice beer over all though, as are most of the offerings from Great Divide.

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark black with a half inch dark brown head. Retains well, and settles into nice lacing.

Smell of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee aromas. The chocolate seems to dominate until it starts to warm up, then all the other aromas come through.

Taste starts off with chocolate, and coffee. I get some mild vanilla in the finish, but not as much as I expected after reading the "on bottle" descripton. Strong dark roasted malt bitterness lingers in the finish as well. Burnt taste is more mellow compared to regular Yeti, so for me this is a slightly better beer.

Nice medium to full body, not overly carbonated...seems just right for this beer. Definately a beer I could drink more of, but probably just one in a single setting.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

A - 2" dense camel colored head. Excellent retention. Thick, sticky lace. As black as black can be.

S - Thick with roasted malt. Cream. Booze. Hint of hops.

T - Dark fruit (fig, raisin). Caramel. Vanilla. Coffee. Big roasted malt. Hops are in perfect balance. Boozy finish. So mellow and smooth for such a huge beer.

M - Between a medium and full bodied mouthfeel. Mid-level carbonation. Long, long finish.

D - Incredible drinkability. Best double/imperial stout that I have had yet. So smooth. What a treat!!!

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours motor-oil black in color with a thick rocky, brown head. Aroma consists of chocolate and roasted malt. The hops provide a piney nose to it. You can detect oak in the aroma as the beer warms slightly. Thick, coating mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Smooth front with flavors of chocolate and roasted malt. Midway the malt takes on a more burnt taste and the flavor turns slightly bitter from the hoppiness. Strong expresso roast and piney hop bitterness towards the back. Risidual oak and chocolate linger in the long enjoyable finish. The 9.5% alcohol is masked very well which makes this dangerously drinkable!

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Black in hue with some dried blood influences, opaque. Is there a finer sight than a pitch-black stout? Brunette head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. This beer has some of the most attractive foam I have ever seen. Head retention was excellent; the bubbles were slow to fade to a thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized but there was plenty of it. No matter how I dissect it, this is a damn fine looking beer!

My nose is failing me… I don’t smell much. I get jabbing notes of hops, pine mainly. The malt dances in the background, roasted coffee, chocolate, and vanilla covered coconut. It’s not all that woody (check that, it took a while but the oak really started to come through, quite nice!). Like the regular Yeti, the nose just didn’t blast out of the glass like I had hoped. In the distant background are hints of dark fruits and apples. Overall, it has moderate potency, at best. I am disappointed with the bouquet. It is pleasant enough but I wanted more. Sue me. I wanted a nose bigger and better that regular Yeti. IMO, this is no better or worse, the oak adds a little but hides other aspects. Inviting, nevertheless.

The palate is nice. Should Yeti be “nice”? Hell no, the palate should strike blows down upon my taste buds destroying them. I should feel this beer in my core. I don’t. Okay, maybe my expectations were out of whack. This is a beefy beer. This is a flavorful beer. This is a complex beer. Okay… it is growing on me. I found it bitter upfront with citrus rinds and pine trees, lingering bitterness (which is to die for). In the middle are hints of apples, wood, burnt sugar, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, figs, and various other dark fruits. Long lingering aftertaste, it is very sweet with kisses of wood and bitterness. I have been disappointed with the nose and the palate, for the first half of the bottle at least, but MY GOD did this beer grow on me. What did I taste earlier? This beer finishes strong; raw alcohol burn at the end. This is Yeti! Wow.

Medium/medium-full in body, I still think the body is a tad to thin but its tolerable… low but natural carbonation, pleasant mouthfeel. I’d like it to be hardier.

Drinkable? Hell freaking yes. Delicate, succulent… delicious; I am sold. Yep, this is good. It is better than regular Yeti. It seems darker, hotter, rawer, and the wood does add depth. This beer flies solo wonderfully. I don’t have any desire to pair food with it. I want more bombers. I purchased my bottle in Lawrence, KS. I will get more. This stuff is magic. Seek it out.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

This is a very nice looking beer. Very dark and syrupy looking. caramel colored head. nose has some chocolate in it, but also a lot of alcohol. taste is kind of dry and not as sweet as it could be (as i'd like it to be). the alcohol isn't all that well hidden either. Nice roasty flavor, some unidentifiable taste on the front end (maybe this is the oak?). thick mouthfeel, the alcohol is really coming on too strong by the end. Overall, not the best stout ive had but it is pretty good and heavy enough to make me smile.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

One of my favorites. Big dark head, excellent lacing, and dark, dark, dark. Aroma is of chocolate, oak, and vanilla. There is some hops bitterness, but not too much to overpower the oakiness. This one feels real warm going down. I've had the non-oak Yeti and it's very much different than the oak aged. Drinkability is good if you want to linger over a nice bottle for a looong while. I don't think I could drink more than one of these in a seating.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank side by side with the regular Yeti to compare the 2.

Poured a dark black with ruby highlights and tons and tons of thick creamy dark tan head that left tons of lacing and had excellent retention.

Smell is full of vanilla, bourban, and chocolate.

Taste is full of oak flavors, with vanilla, bourban, charred wood, minor chocolate and burnt malts making a more subtle appearance. The hop bitterness is there, but is very subdued by the oakyness and semi sweet malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a nice warming to it.

Overall very drinkable, smooth and tasty. Is strikingly different than its regular brother. Lacking in the bitterness but making up for it with the additions that the oak flavors bring.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours pitch black. Head is tan creamy goodness.

Smell is bitter dark grain, with the swetness of vanilla, chocolate, and nutmeg.

Taste is dominated by the woody oak flavor. Definite vanilla notes. Mild chocolate bitterness. Surprising sweetness. Spices add complexity. Alcohol is present throughout the experience but doesn't give away the high ABV.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and surprisingly soft and creamy.

This is a very interesting brew. Plenty of oak flavoring, maybe too much for my taste. I'm not sure yet. Still a great brew. It is amazing how different it is from the original Yeti stout.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: deep black in color with a thick 2"+ head that looked like a dollop of chocolate mousse, very frothy and creamy looking.

Smell: some mild roasted malts and chocolate were noticeable, but somewhat light from what I expected.

Taste: this is a meal in a glass. Thick roasted malts, chocolate, molasses, hint of vanilla, alcohol, strong bitterness, and a very soft hint of bourbon. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Smooth at the start, almost syrupy at the finish. Aftertaste is long on the roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol.

Drinkability: Definitely good, but can' t give it a higher score with the noticeable alcohol levels. A must try if you enjoy the regular Yeti.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company