Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,605 | Hads: 4,265
4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

The appearance is perfect. Color is pitch black with a large, thick brown head. Retention is very good. Aroma is of rich chocolate malt with a strong, pungent hop. An edge of vanilla is also noted. The taste has lots of flavor, but is also somewhat chaotic. Chocolate malt starts off a sip and soon mixes with a strong vanilla flavor. A strong pungent hop comes in midway through a sip and collides with the vanilla. Alcohol flavor is noted in the finish. Overall, Oaked Yeti has plenty of flavor going for it, but at times the flavors don't work too well together. Also the oaky vanilla was a little too strong for my tastes. Still, this is a big beer that I urge all BAs to sample. (683 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a small tan head from a brown 22oz bomber. To me, the aroma is of chocolate/malt. Taste contains chocolate and coffee notes. I think I can taste the oak as well. This one is downright yummy. Highly recommended, worth searching out and hoarding. On the pricey side though. I'd also have to mention that the 9.5% alcohol is pretty well hidden, and it might be easy to over do it with this one. (444 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured black into a stemmed glass. Dark, dark black, tauny and thin head sitting atop the abyss. Smells of coffee, chocolate and malt. Taste is a burnt coffee that coats your mouth with a slight hop tinge, but what stuck out the most to me with a faint, figgy taste that I enjoyed ever so much. I enjoyed this beer heartily, and will drink it again. (349 characters)

22oz. bottle

Pours a dark black with a cocoa head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big aroma, very woody with the dark roasted grain and coffee aromas. Maybe a hint of vanilla.

Taste is very dark and roasty with a strong oak presence. There some espresso flavors and a nice bitter hop bite at the end. The hops and the oak linger.

Medium body and carbonation.

Pretty drinkable and very complex. I like this much better than the regular Yeti, but it could also have something to do with me cellaring this one for a while.... (543 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

This brew poured opaque black with a nice tan head. More carbonation then I expected for such a high alcohol content. The aroma was a little lacking. There was some roasted coffee beans, but no choclate. The taste held up nicely; the flavor of coffee being apparent. The brew is thick and creamy. Not my favorite DS. I felt like there just wasn't any oak tones in the brew and the aroma seemed toned down from their regular version. (432 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Pitch black with thin dark tan head. Webby lacing all the way down the glass. HUGE nose. Very woody with rich coffee smells and hints of vanilla. There's a little hops in the smell but very faint. The taste makes me think about how my hands smell when I have to carry in the Christmas tree. There's a huge woody taste with the expected coffee and roasted flavor that is so wonderful about the regular Yeti. Enjoyable hop balance that fades into nothingness as soon as you swallow. After the sip goes down the dry wood flavor takes over and stays with you. This is a great beer but I can't imagine having more than one in a night. The oak flavor gets to be too much for me. I'll definitely have this one again though. (716 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

I have sampled this monster a few times but never drank a whole bottle so I decided to pick one up this weekend,pours as black as an oil slick no light showing thru when held up to the light with creamy-like rich mocha colored head thad never settles completely leaving thick sheets of lace behind as it gradually comes down.Oh the complexities in the aroma vanilla,obviously the oak with a very noticable herbal hop leaf elemant as well.Outstanding creamy mouthfeel like marshmellow in its creamy but light airy quality,just minajory of flavors dark roast coffee,unsweetened chocolat with hints of vanilla finishing oaky and earthy.A real gem to be had wich most of you already know out there,just beautiful. (709 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Oh my! Poured from a 22 into my "good for what ales you frequent flyer" stout glass. Poured about half of the glass from about 6 inches. Poured black and thick, the head settled out after some rapid fizzles resulting in a caramel tanned foamy puffed head.

The aroma released from the rapid foaming head was very deep. Smelled almost like a wooden barrel filled with carmelized sugar. Awesome. I had to get a sip. First sip tasted very rich and very well toasted, suprisingly hopped. Very good stuff.

Alcohol is peaking out from the depths of the black stuff. The feel is prickly and smoothed over. Medium to heavy bodied. Full strength stout. Need to let it warm up.

Warmer now. Not up to room temp yet. Much sweeter, less alcohol taste even deeper and richer. I am suprised.

Getting some expresso with robust cocoa influence. Bottle claims vanilla flovor. I get none. As the stouts warms further the aroma is even stronger preparing the senses for the taste.

I judge that the heavy malt profile is well balanced by the hops. The hoppiness was unexpected but plays well with the sweets and alcohol.

Entire mouthful sloshed around yields to big foamy feels that are a bit thick and syrupy. Probably about right for a double stout but I'm not sure since I don't have a thorough baseline of double stouts for comparison.

I really like this one for its complexity and grand depths. I'll probably get throught the bomber and possibly get another when I stop by for singles. Next time I'll share.

I gave this a "5" for appearance. This stuff looked so damn good when I poured it. The laces are smothered to my favorite pint glass. Unbelieveable.

Overall, this is a bad ass beer. The YETI would be proud. (1,731 characters)

22oz bomber, probably purchased a year ago, in south bend, had the regular yeti the other night

appearance: pours a rich/full black colour, motor oil esque but not as thick...a light bubbly chocolatey head...lacing left behind is a little uninspiring for a double stout

smell: sweet and rich chocolate, lots of roasted malt, chocolate covered cherry, vanilla, woody, heavy licorice aroma, fair amount of alcohol in the nose, mild coffee...very rich

taste: very bittersweet chocolate, syrupy, strong licorice, milky coffee, plum, cherry...dark chocolate, the results of oak aging are minimal in my opinion...mildy woody, delicate vanilla...fair grassy hop profile still shows signs. This is very good but the regular yeti is better imo

mouthfeel: smooth, alcohol hidden fairly well, creamy

drinkability: rich and heavy, but tasty (843 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

16.9 oz brown bomber. No freshness dating.

The beer is a midnight black with a large initial tan head. Simply awesome lacing patterns.

The beer smells of plums, raisins, port wine, alcohol & molasses. I don’t pick-up much roasted or coffee type aromas.

The taste really tracks the smell. Lots of dark fruit, a bit of sweetness that almost reminds me of an old fashioned molasses cookie. Some roasted malts emerge with a bit of vanilla, but I get more roasted malt flavor from almost any other stout. I don’t really pick-up the hops. How can that be if this beer is 75 IBUs? Don’t get me wrong, this is a massive and enjoyable beer.

The mouth is creamy and smooth. While not an everyday beer for me, this is very enjoyable and one I will revisit. (762 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep dark black in color with a tan brown head, leaving a spotty lacing. The smell is very nice, with hints of roasted coffee and dark chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Taste is nearly perfect, dark fruits seem to be hidden inside, but not always noticed with vanilla, coffee, and chocolate kicking in, not to mention the hop bitterness hidden in there as well. Heavy, very viscous, medium to full bodied with only a little carbonation, but quite enjoyable. I would definately have another, but I would like to try the original Yeti first to compare the two. (553 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

This pours out into my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip a glopping, robust black, upon which I am required to force-pour a very thin head. Like a couple of other serious Imperial Stouts, this one just doesn't want to hold a head, though the brown-brown-brown ring that remains leaves behind spots of lacing.

This has a dark, roasty malt smell that carries scents that I am positive have been imparted by the oak aging - a kind of astringent vanilla. It's robust, for sure.

The taste definitely carries characteristics of oak aging, and I wish now that I had bought the original Yeti to compare the two. The taste begins very, very smooth, with a vanilla-bean maltiness, then transitions to a hard-hitting astringent, alcoholic malt and hop profile that kicks with a brief, Cascade-like bitterness.

Smooth, thick mouthfeel that packs an alcoholic warming punch - I recommend letting it warm as you sip. Carbonation is minimal, but the alcohol bites a little harder than I'd like, and makes the mouthfeel a little too harsh for something thick.

This beer packs a serious punch, heavy, complex, and aggressive, despite - or perhaps due to - the aok cask aging. I fully intend to try the original Yeti. (1,212 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am drinking a 22 oz bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip. The ale is slightly chilled.

Appearance: The ale is deep, midnight black. Hints of ruby red emerge when the ale is held to light. It pouts with a decent head that leaves a nice lace pattern.

Smell: The buttery oak notes dominate and stout/roast character. The aroma is very pleasing and does not come across as overly sweet.

Taste: The buttery flavor noted in the nose continues into the taste. In this instance (unlike some other oak aged stouts), there is no cloying sweetness. The is a soft sweet note imparted from the barrels, but it mixes nicely with the strong roasted malt flavor of the stout.

Mouthfeel: The ale seems to burn a little in the mouth. The buttery oak and roasted flavors mix very well outside of that.

Drinkability: The strength of the flavors is a bit overpowering. Despite that, this is a good ale, although I look forward to trying it outside of the oak casks. (962 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Fascinating. Some friends and I did a side-by-side tasting of the Oak Aged next to regular Yeti. Truly enlightening. I'd had Oak Aged before, by itself, and the oak characteristics did not jump out as glaringly as they did in the side-by-side tasting.

First, i took a whiff of the regular Yeti. Nice potent, roasty Imperial aroma. Spot on for the style. Then, i picked up the glass of Oak Aged and inhaled. Wow, loads of oakiness overwhelming all the aroma found in the original.

Then a sip of the regular. Exactly what you'd expect from a RIS. Deep roasted, chocolate notes. Thick and alcohol-forward. I proceeded to the Oak Aged and holy crap. It was like chewing on a piece of furniture. The original Yeti was in there somewhere, but well-hidden behind an overpowering oak character. Nothing remotely subtle about it. Oak oak oak.

This would probably be a good crossover beer for bourbon snobs.

But the oak flavor is so mind-blowing that it detracts from the overall enjoyability and drinkability of the beer. They should tone it down a bit. Original Yeti wins hands-down. (1,087 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Paid $6.99 for a 22oz bomber in Boulder, CO. 9.5% ABV, 75 IBU's. Aged on a bed of French and toasted oak chips.

Pours out to what appears to be clear near black but not opaque. Not quite as thick as I expect for an Imperial, but then my Impys are Founder and Bells which are like oil. At any rate, the bubbles to take some time to rise, telling me that this is still a hefty brew. They form a sticky and thick dark cocoa head with superior retention and beautiful sticky lacing. Carbonation is moderate. I get the impression that this was force carbonated. The aroma is akin to a Baltic Porter with a ton of raisins, prunes, dates, vanilla, black walnut and cocoa, held in check by some lightly herbaceous hops. The mouthfeel is semi-oily with a dense but not syrupy body. The taste is a recap of the aroma. Compared to the regular Yeti, the green grassy hops have mellowed, and the off-flavors and fusels are absent. The mouthfeel is still somewhat harsh, especially in the charred aftertaste and there is a burnt wood/acetone finish still there that I don't care for. Vanilla still stands up against these faults in the finish.

MUCH better than the regular Yeti, but still not a favorite in my list of Impy stouts. The aging has helped soften the faults tremendously but it still has a way to go. (1,304 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. Yeti Oak Aged Stout pours out a nearly black color with a large dark brown head. The aroma is so chocolatey and malty. Some woody characteristics in the nose, but it's mainly chocolate and roasted malt. The flavor follows from the aroma, although there is more hop flavor than I expected. Thick and chewy maltiness. Alcohol burns the throat occasionally. Very similar to the regular Yeti Imperial Stout. I only detect a little oak flavor. A very good beer, but a bit expensive ($8 for 22 ounce bottle). (519 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: pours out a thick and red to purple color with a lacing that's the same color. It has a fruity sweet and sour smell. The smell is quite different, but when you get used to it, it is very enjoyable. Fruity smell of plum and grape. The dark roasted coffee is a good aftertaste. It's good. Very hoppy and it tastes great, and it seems to hide the coffee flavor until it sits on your tongue. Mouthfeel is heavy, but not quite full-bodied. I enjoyed this beer immensely, a great victory The Great Divide Brewery. (519 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Looks like dirty old engine oil as I pour it into my tulip glass. In the glass there are hints of brown and burgundy that creep around the edges. The head is a bright tan copper that fell to a ring and left a great lace.

Smells of grassy rhubarb, smoky coffee, chocolate and something that I can only say reminds me of barbecue chicken.

The flavor begins with a an initial crisp dry coffee, a definite woody oak and a nip of hops. It then fades into a mind blowing blueberry sweetness. I thought this was a fluke, but upon successive tastes, it was there every time. The fruity notes then transition into a coffee and smooth dark chocolate. This beer finishes with a dry lingering espresso. Great dynamics here, top notch!

The mouth feel is medium bodied with tiny bubbles that are so smooth it gives the impression of pudding or a milk shake.

Nice beer. A little too much coffee in the finish, but terrifically enjoyable. (938 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours out just as black as the normal yeti... black black black. Big dark tan head foams up. looks very spongy. good lacing. Smells initially like chocolate. Some roasted coffee aromas. hoppy smell does sneak through. this is one stouty stout. Tastes very rich and heavy. Very sweet to me. I like this, but i dont think i like this one as much as the regular yeti. The mouthfeel is the thickest i've ever had that i can think of. Very full. Lots of malts. Good carbonation.

Overall i wish i would have saved this a few years before i had it. I think it needs some milding. I think its a great beer though, but i would prefer the normal yeti. (644 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber. Bottle states that the beer contains 75 IBUs.

A - dark, pitch black. Like looking into a cave in the mountains with no light coming through at all. Head is a tight netting of bubbles that hang around to the end, relenting to a small circle by the time I'm finished. Not much lacing. Head color is distinctive of roasted barley, a frothy cappucino/tan color.

S - sweet, vinous smell. Hint of vanilla, fruit, rum? Definitely coffee. Lots of roasted coffee smells. A tad bit of hops in the nose but nothing I can place. Just picking a faint bit of alcohol.

T - wow. Big beer. Sweet flavor of malt dominates, background of alcohol. Delicious like a coffee spiked with bourbon or rum or something. I can taste some hops, but I'm shocked this is a 75 IBU beer. Bitterness comes predominantly from the barley here, not a lot of hop bitterness or flavor. Sweet roasted malt abounds, with background of vanilla sweetness.

M - thick, viscous beer. Sticks to your tongue, but a very smooth beer. Alcohol does not burn and is well hidden.

D - lord this is a great beer to drink, but there's no way I could have more than one in a sitting. Thickness fills you up quickly. I was bloated by the time I finished this.

Overall - if you see this beer on the shelf, get it and try it, you won't be disappointed. However, it's not something I'm going to tell the grandkids about. I have two bottles and will thoroughly enjoy them, but not a beer I'll buy again. (1,487 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

pitch brown with an inch of brown head that leaves a web of lacing.

bourbon and chocolate sweetness in the nose. dark fruity sweetness and a touch of bitter as well, but seems more like a bitter chocolate than a hop bitterness. aroma reflects the high alcohol content. not getting the vanilla scent that everyone else (including the bottle label) mentions.

lots of chocolate in the taste as well, with some burnt coffee and piney bitterness. medium mouthfeel for an Imperial Stout; low carbonation.

very drinkable until the 9.5% kicks in; alcohol is present in the nose but not the taste. (637 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Absolutely pitch black, with a fine layer of small, latte-like bubbles.

Aroma is huge...roasted malts, hazelnut, hardwood smoke, ozone, coffee.

Taste is rich and complex, with a thick, chewy mouthfeel. A decent amount of hops lead the way, citric mostly. Sugary sweet body, with hot fudge, mocha, dark chocolate, and mild notes of cherry cordial. Almost gets a little estery towards the end, fleeting alcohol warmth. A truckload of bitter and roasty malt keeps the mouthfeel active but heavy, yet it keeps getting overruled by sweetness.

This is a *large* yeti, and a brute of a beer. Proceed with caution. (616 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -29.5%

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is a beast of a beer. It pours black, nothing but black. The head is thick and a dark cappuccino color. The head stays for a long while and leaves loads of lacing. It smells of vanilla, coconut, and oak. There is lots going on in the nose (it almost has a smell of soy sauce, is my bottle bad? Am I crazy?).

The taste is bold. It makes me think of red wine with the complexities going on here. There is just so much to pay attention to. It is a little viscous, more so than I would like. Then again, it makes me think of bourbon--So much going on. Strong tastes of burnt coffee and burnt chocolate and a little spicy. Dark roasted malts with a very earthy taste with slight vanilla hints.

This is a big beer, both in taste and alcohol (9.5% ABV). While it is good, it is not for me. This is obviously a very popular beer, but it isn’t something that I would drink on a regular basis. It is just too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, good beer, just not for me. (997 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

The last bottle in the store... 22 oz. with silver foil around the cap. It pours a viscous inky black with an orangey/brown head that leaves a collar and thin island of bubbles. It tries to lace but I keep swirling it away. Beautiful. It smells roasty/chocolatey, with green/flowery hops, hop oils, vanilla, coffee, and buttery/nutty flavors. It is soft on the nose but quite aromatic, and it smells good enough to be a milkshake flavor. The body is very thick and smooth but could coat the mouth better. It tastes of roasted/black malts, a lot of IBUs (75), coffee, green/piney hops, and hop oils. Overall malty up front and hoppy behind. A quality brew - top-notch. Now to try the original Yeti. (697 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured out a deep jet black color with a dark tannish head which left behind a nice lacing. Nose had a strong oak aroma with a good dose of malts and a touch of sweetness in the background. Very strong nose though. Taste was pretty much the same. Strong oak flavors with big roasted malts. Hops are there but are pretty much drowned with the oak and malts. Finishes with a good oak flavor. Mouthfeel was medium with good carbonation. If anything, it might of been too light for double stout standards. But a good stout nonetheless and one I'll look forward to from time to time. (578 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company