Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,217 | Reviews: 1,623
4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

A deep black color with hints of brown, a small beige head forms and disappates quickly. The sweet smell of malt and chocolate, with the added aroma of charred wood, that also adds a vanilla scent. The hops are in there in the aroma, but seem to be over powered by the wood and alchol aromas. The flavor brings in the aromas on the palate with the hops being more prevalent in the taste. The oak wood flavor becomes stronger after every sip. In the mouth it feels a little thinner than the non aged Yeti, alot like skim milk, with some evidence of carbonation, but not alot. This is a drinkable beer, but drink slowly. The strong alchol, flavors and texture, make this a sipping beer by a nice warm fire.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

i wish these things would have bottling dates. it's aged, but how long?

absolute oil darkness with a brown head atop; great lacing. the vanilla effect from the barrel comes through and mixes with heavily roasted sweetness. the aroma is heavy, like a humid night in ole virginny and reveals the dark roast. i find a nutty character, but not like the one you'll find in a rochefort. big bitterness, though it doesn't linger too long. it's a very smooth brew but not as large as i expected (or the appearance suggested) and i feel a smokey sensation. some coffee

Pours black, with a light brown head that diminishes to a ring. Leaves sheets of lacing when sipped down.

The aroma is roasty, chocolatey, alcoholic, with a toasted malts and charred wood.

The flavor is roasty, malty, chocolate hints, with a slight bit of char. Not much oakiness, would like to have this side by side with a regular yeti to see the difference.

It is full in body and warming. A nice brew.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Ive been sitting on this one for some time. About time I popped open the cork and sampled this one. Poured a black shade of black. A decent head from an ample pour. I would have expected a bigger head but nice to note the foam lasted throughout the whole sampling and ok lacing.

The smell was noticeable with good roasted and chocolate malt notes. Some vanilla quaffs are present but not much of the bourbon aromas. Some lighter esters in the background as well.

The taste is excellent. The stout flavor comes out very nicely and isn’t overshadowed by the oaky taste. A good malt with more chocolate then roasted but not overly sweet. Very similar to Yeti, but there is a vanilla that caps off the beer towards the end. A very nice balance a just a noticeable twist to make it even more interesting. There are some very subtle fruit notes, mostly black cherries and a tad plums that could come out more. Overall this is has a great taste.

The body is big and carbonation is good. The esters are not overpowering which really helps with the beer and allows everything to mix well. Not much of a bourbon taste which is very nice. Compare and contrast between Yeti and OA Yeti and I would say OA wins.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

I've worked together some pictures from Darl Lord Day 06, and I'm about to use them in a blog entry....but first....BEER! I figure a bomber O this stuff ought to loosen me up a bit.... here we go...

Beautiful. The stream out of the bottle (with the light behind) is a nice cola colour. In the glass, even held directly to the light, this colour only emerges jufrom the black just at the edges. The head is nice, even darkish tan- one finger, and very smooth.

The smell is beautiful- alcohol and dark molasses hit right up front, with spice, wood, and cherries. There's a great sour spicy sweet thing going on here.

Right up front, I get coffee, cherries, and oak. As it elvolves, the wood stays put and some spiciness (peppery) and hoppy flavours are added at the end. Rather nice- one might even say (if they looked at the score) exceptional. I'd once tasted this side-by-side with regular Yeti, and it was like chewing on an oak chip. On its own, I really don't get that at all. Very pleasing to the palate.

Carbonation hits low up front, and swells towards the middle- never becoming too much for the hearty liquid. Just slightly oily, but not unpleasantly so.

This one could keep me nice an oiled up for a long time. If you like higher ABVs in sessioners, stop here.

Be well
-UF

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz bomber into a Schlafly pint glass. Thick, quarter-floating brown head. The color seemed to be black as tar, then I got it into the light and saw it was really dark, dark red. Nice carbonation action. A beautiful beer. Unbelieveable lacing. The top line left an actual RIDGE of bubbles clinging to the glass, like some kind of malt cliff-face.

Smell was typical Imperial stout: roast malt, some chocolate character, and alcohol. Hops did not make an appearance at this stage.

Taste: Well, the smell was dead on to the taste. There was roast malt, dark chocolate, and alcohol all present and leading the way. The oak came in as a subtle vanilla towards the end of each sip. The hops were burried in the malt, but came in as a slow burn after the sip was finished.

Mouthfeel was heavy and the hops left a lingering burn. The alcohol was also present in each sip.

Not the most drinkable of beers either. The alcohol gets in the way, and its heavy. Would go well with snow activities.

I waited until spring to drink this, after cellaring for 4 months. Next year I plan to get 2 and drink one right away, when the weather is appropriate, and cellar theother one until NEXT year. If I had been drinking this standing in the snow, waiting for the Pitt game to start (Let's Goooo, Mountaineers!) like I did last year with my Sierra Nevada Porters and Edmund Fitzgeralds, it would probably be scored much higher.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Pours like a Yeti, oil black, black on black no light thru this baby with a beautiful coco colored head that laces well man this brew looks goood.

Aroma is roasted malts with a big vanilla oaky aroma that overpowers a lot of the roastiness. Some chocolate hints do make it thru.

Taste is big roasted flavors with lots of vanilla, bottle mentions subtle vanilla but pretty in your face to me. Some chocolate rises with a good hop presence but not as strong as a fresh Yeti but I aged this one to reduce the hops a bit. Overall not bad too much vanilla to be great.

Mouthfeel is nice big full with a good level of carbonation.

Drinkability is good but not as good as a regular Yeti or other Barrel Aged Stouts I have had. But boy it is a looker.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

A beautiful dark roasted brown with a great 1 inch tan coffee head. Sticky lacing with good retention. Very carbonated.

Aromas of oak, toasty vanilla, black currant, black cherry, dark choclate, coffee, with a roasted malt aroma, and some, hops and alcohol.

Big on the coffee in the front and mid palate. Could probably call it espresso. A shit load of hops. Damn I'd like to try the unoaked Yeti to see how much coffee that bad boy has. Nice toasty vanilla character on the finish. Cassis in the background, with a choclate covered cherry flavor also. Oak is not that pronounced and I think it could have stood out a little more. Very tannic but smooth tannins at that on the mouthfeel with a 2 minute coffee finish.

Because of large espresso coffee characteristics I couldn't drink many of these but I would drink them quite often.

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Near blackness, brilliant toasted sienna head that turns almost dark brown when you move the glass about. It never goes away. Vinous alcohol and rich caramel dominate the nose. In the taste burnt chocolates and sticky caramels make way for a wonderfully drying hop finish. Oh boy can this beer finish. The hops are huge for an imperial stout. They just resonate on the back of your palate for minutes after each blast of pine and tamarack bark. This is so spicy my nose is going nuts and my taste buds are getting fried. I love it. This is oh so bitter and dry. Just wonderful.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Upon its release from the 22-ounce brown bottle, the beer takes up a very short residence in by goblet an atramentous color, the head a modest but thick and creamy chocolate brown, as it slowly fades into the distance, the lace forms a glutinous sheet to conceal the glass. Nose has a nice hint of oak, with a sweet malt backing, a perfect blend of toasted grains, chocolate and a whisper of hops, start is a bit sweet, the grain profile perfection and the top thick and rich. Finish is determined in its acidity, the hops spicy and perfect, also a bit of alcohol bitterness, aftertaste is as dry as my backyard desert, “WOW” what a treat, also notice a nice tummy warming, another winning and I must say monster beer from Great Divide.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Inspection: 75 IBUs, no date or abv.

Aroma: Full dark malt, wood, citric hops and lots of them. If I close my eyes, I can almost say 2IPA, but there is just enough leather, coffee and roasted malt to see the blackness in the dark

Appearance: Opaque black with just the slightest sliver of ruby when seriously backlit. Full frothy dark tan head waits patiently and promises to lace.

Flavor: The base Yeti (full classic double stout, hops overcoming all the roasted malt goodness) is still firmly there, but the finish lets in the oak character. I’m not a fan of “gratuitous oaking” but in this case, it does add a nice touch.

Mouthfeel: Fully carbonated, creamy texture, slightly drying and evidence of an alcohol prickle.

Overall Impression: Makes Yeti even better. Some days I’m in the mood for the straight monster, sometimes I want it oaked. Either way it’s dangerously drinkable, heavy in the best possible way, rich, hoppy, and just plain good any time of year. If you haven’t had the pleasure, seek, trade, beg, what ever it takes.
Very strongly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours an absolutely beautiful black body with a huge mocha colored head that lasts and lasts with prominent lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and oak among other things. All of the above can be detected in the taste as well as maybe an ever-so-slight hint of cherries, irish creme, and some vanilla as described on the label. Very hoppy, and I like that. It's unlike any other imperial stout I've had and I think that's awesome. If I didn't want something different and unique, I would have gotten a beer that I've had before and knew what to expect. This is a great suprise with a hop explosion which IMO doesn't block out the other wonderful flavors.

I highly recommend this beer as a great treat for the palate. A truly unique version of this style. All in all an incredible tasting beer, it's now one of my favorites and I will certianly visit this again. A must try.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance: Deep chocolate brown to almost black color. Nice tan head recedes quickly. Almost no head after inital pour. Carbonation low from appearance...

Aroma: Aroma permeated with roasted malts. A bit of fruitiness also detected. Cofee notes as well as toasted grain can be identified.

Taste: Definitely heavy on the roasted/toasted flavor. The flavor from the oak barrels definitely evident. Strong hop bitterness in the finish. More bitter than I was expecting. Alcohol evident in the flavor but tempered by the roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Very thick! Very smooth & creamy. Goes down very easily with the warming alcohol feeling. A bit of a cloying, smoky, bitter aftertaste, but doesn't adversely effect the impression.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable only when looking for something to go easy with. More of a dessert sipper. This is not one to take lightly. The flavor is as strong as its alcohol effects. Drink slowly & split a bomber with friends!

Comments: Was more bitter than other Imperial Stouts I've had, but this was a very good example. I likes the oakiness which was something new for me. I had a bomber on my own (which I had to spread over two days with a wine stopper!) & should have spread between friends. Very strong! Make sure you're sitting still for a while after this one...

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

I like Great Divide's cartoony labels. I picked this bottle up in Boston.

The oak aged Yeti pours into my Westvleteren chalice pure black and very viscous looking. The head is modest but never disappears. Fantastic lacing adorns the glass, lots of it. The aroma is a heady mix of milk chocolate, oak, roasted malt, vanilla and floral hops. The taste is full of oak, vanilla, and hops. Roasted malt bitterness and chocolate also abound. A huge wack of hop bitterness is very present throughout, as is a sherry alcohol taste. The finish is bitter but full of malt nuance, and very long. The mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. Carbonation is light and very smooth.

This is one excellent Imperial Stout. Its got plenty of oak flavor and tonnes of hops. In fact is got lots of all the good IS flavors. This infinitely complex beer is a must try. Note for the faint of heart.

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured this with great anticipation into a tulip glass and shared the bomber bottle with a good friend.

It poured a very dark black and an inch tall chocolate milk colored head slowly rose in the glass. It was a fine looking stout. The head remained for most of the beer, continually refreshed by swirling the glass.

I was a little surprised by the hoppiness of this beer, although the label does promote it as a fairly hopped up beer. I found it a little out of place for such a dark stout. Malty and some coffee aromas, with some slight toffiness as well.

This beer had many layers of flavors as it warmed up in the glass. It started quite bitter, very similar to a Bigfoot barley wine. As it warmed, it began to have almost a buttery quality, and the hoppiness definitely mellowed. It still had a very bitter aftertaste, though. I could also taste the hints of vanilla that were promised on the label. I liked this better as it warmed, but still was a bit put off by the high hop content.

It had a stout mouthfeel. Rich, smooth, not overly carbonated, and warming from high ABV which was very well hidden.

Overall, this beer reminded me more of a barleywine than an imperial stout. It was an interesting brew with many levels of flavors, but not my favorite.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bomber that I shared with jslot38...
A: Pours a ridiculously deep jet black with a frothy, inch and a half brown head. One of the best looking beers I've ever seen.
S: Chocolate and toffee malts with some earthy hops.
T: Consensus is that it tastes amazing. Thick chocolate taste with some caramel flavor mixed in. Hop presence is ridiculous for an IPA let alone a stout. Mostly earthy/flowery hops with some grass flavors mixed in. Finishes bitter with much hop flavor. Only downside is that the hops blow out much of the malt flavors, which are delicious but short-lived.
M: Thick and creamy. Pretty standard for a stout.
D: Clearly one of the best stouts I've ever had. The hop presence is refreshing, though this is probably not the stout I would pick if I were in the mood for a malty blast. Overall, a very delicious and impressive beer.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Presentation: 22 oz Bomber shared with pbr85.

Appearance: Wow... simply put, amazing. Lovely cascading effect as a dark tan and solid head forms over a pitch black body. Doesn't look like its going anywhere, we shall wait and see. Lacing is wonderful, layers of it just sticking to my glass at all points. Yes, it stayed around, perfect.

Smell: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, a touch of caramel, hoppy eathiness.

Taste: A nice hoppy abbrasivness that just bursts open the fload gates to an amazing flood of chocolate, coffee, vanilla beans, earth ridden biscuit, a touch of caramel. The chocolate is dark, the coffee is roasted, and there is a nice smokiness that accompanies it. 75 IBUs, no kidding.

Mouthfeel: Not sure I've ever had a stout that has laid on my tongue quite like this one. Absolutly slick with a perfect level of carbonation.

Drinkability: Who cares? One, two, three, I'm pretty sure I'd ask for more of this one all night.

Notes: Great Divide has absolutly amazed me. Storm King falls short of this beauty. Absolutly amazing appearance, I didn't even want to disturb it, but thankfully I did, and oh what did I find but a wonderful experience.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured a nice, creamy and completely opaque black, with a fairly large, khaki colored head that stayed with the beer almost all the way down the glass as I drank. Quite a nice appearance, actually. Exactly what you'd expect when looking at an Imperial Stout.

The aroma, however, was not what you'd expect. I picked up faint traces of the vanilla-ish wood character, even more faint traces of some roastiness, but huge, huge amounts of hops. Much hoppier than I'd have expected, almost as though they changed their minds halfway through an imperial stout and decided to make an imperial IPA instead. It's not the IBUs that are off (75, per the website), it's just that all 75 are very much in your face. It isn't bad, mind you, which is why I still gave it a 4.0 on smell, but it isn't exactly what one would expect either.

The taste, unfortunately, continues along this hop line. I do get teasing hints that there's a delicious ADS underneath this hop blanket. Subtle vinous fruitiness sneaks through now and again, giving it almost a port character. The roasted malts add a flavor component that is quite nice, when they can be heard above the cacophany of hoppiness. Vanilla from the oak, black currant flavors... all of those appear to be in there, but they are just buried under the hop flavors and aromas. From the piney, resinous taste the hops leave in my mouth, I'm going to assume they use Chinook hops. Whatever it is, it just seems out of balance to me, considering the style they're brewing.

The mouthfeel is, conversely, almost perfect for an impy stout. It's not chewy, by any means, but you definitely know you are drinking something. Rather milky, perhaps a tad oily, but wonderful.

This is not something I'm likely going to grab again. It isn't bad. Truly it isn't. As stated above, there are hints of a brilliant beer in there. The hops -- and more to the point, the variety of hops and when they're added to the boil -- just overwhelm the excellent beer that's trying to get out. I didn't hate this, but I wanted so badly to like it more than I did.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Ego for scoring this one and sharing it with me and my sister to rate.

Served from a 22oz. bottle in a snifter at just below cellar temperature and allowed to warm.

A - Thick and syrupy pour. Very very dark brown with crimson highlights. Starts with a decent dark cocoa brown head that diminishes to nothing in well under a minute. Lacing is almost non existant, but this beer has huge legs like a pinot noir. Decent, but mostly nondescript for the style.

S - Buttery chocolate and coffee. Raisins and dark molasses. Notes of fresh green hoppiness and some alcohol. All nicely blended.

T - Dark sweet friuts in the front with some mild vanilla. Middle is super round and dessert-like with notes of cane-sugar sweetened espresso an dark chocolate cake. Back of the tongue is hugely drying with a bitter hop kick. Alcohol is detectable in the finish, but not too much so.

M - Super creamy to start, although a tiny bit large and not as slick as I was hoping for. With a rise in temperature, the mouthfeel definitely improved.

D - Delicious and smooth as an after dinner drink. Big flavors and big character. Easy going down.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a tulip. Black as coffee with a nice inch of chocolate milk head which fades shortly but leaves some nice lacing...overall the best appearance I've seen for the style. The smell is vinous. Pears, chocolate and coffee blend nicely and you can clearly make out the scent of fresh hops. Taste is pretty amazing, coffee and chocolate followed by some slightly sweet raison, fig and vanilla flavors. There is a nice and suprising belgian-like spiciness in the middle followed by some bourbon and vanilla tastes that really shine through as the brew warms. Lots of nice oily hops coat the tongue and linger bitterly in the aftertaste...didn't see that coming from a stout. Alcohol is hidden quite deceptively in the taste. Just a big, complex beast. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and perfect in my opinion. Drinkability is hindered slightly because of the abv and richness but I could easily polish off two bombers of this in a night. Overall one of my favorite beers from the stout family and one I could enjoy over and over again and maybe get just a bit more out of it everytime. Wonderful.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

This one pours almost black with a small head that sticks around as long as it takes me to finish the beer. Very inviting. The smell is richly decadent and very much like the regular non oak aged yeti. Very milk chocolatey with some coffee in there.

The taste adds some interesting flavors especially a very distinctive dry oakiness. A tasty vinous aspect shows up. There's also a little too much alcohol detectable here especially in the finish, which is also characterized by some bittering hops.

The mouthfeel seems too thin for a double stout. It could use a little more substance. The alcohol harshness also contributes in a negative way here. Overall, this is a very good offering but I prefer the regular Yeti over this one by a pretty wide margin.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Not a bad beer after takiing 45 plus days off for Lent. At first it seemed just too much alcohol and hops, but as you finish the beer the smell and taste are really enjoyable. Lots of raisins and plums, great dark color and nice drinkability.

Not for everybody, but those who like Russian Imperial Stouts would enjoy this.

Poured from a tap at capital ale house, this beer is absolutely black, with no light shining through. A thick brown head lasts a long time, and leaves a cap on the beer, and tremendous lacing on the glass.

Aroma: dark malts, bourbon, vanilla, and alcohol.

Flavor is nicely balanced, showing loads of vanilla, oak, sweet malts, pressure treated lumber(in a pleasant way), and molasses.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, full, and chewy. But drinkability suffers a bit. I drink a LOT of imperial stouts, but for some reason, I had to drink this one very slowly. By the end, it was almost a struggle to finish the 12 oz glass.

Very nice beer over all though, as are most of the offerings from Great Divide.

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours dark black with a half inch dark brown head. Retains well, and settles into nice lacing.

Smell of dark roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee aromas. The chocolate seems to dominate until it starts to warm up, then all the other aromas come through.

Taste starts off with chocolate, and coffee. I get some mild vanilla in the finish, but not as much as I expected after reading the "on bottle" descripton. Strong dark roasted malt bitterness lingers in the finish as well. Burnt taste is more mellow compared to regular Yeti, so for me this is a slightly better beer.

Nice medium to full body, not overly carbonated...seems just right for this beer. Definately a beer I could drink more of, but probably just one in a single setting.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A - 2" dense camel colored head. Excellent retention. Thick, sticky lace. As black as black can be.

S - Thick with roasted malt. Cream. Booze. Hint of hops.

T - Dark fruit (fig, raisin). Caramel. Vanilla. Coffee. Big roasted malt. Hops are in perfect balance. Boozy finish. So mellow and smooth for such a huge beer.

M - Between a medium and full bodied mouthfeel. Mid-level carbonation. Long, long finish.

D - Incredible drinkability. Best double/imperial stout that I have had yet. So smooth. What a treat!!!

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company