Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,636 | Hads: 4,422
4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Very dark with ruby red faintly coming out the side when held up to light.Very little head which quickly retreats. Empty reveals it's not bottle conditioned.

Not much of an aroma, very slight floral quality.

For a lack of aroma, it makes up for in taste. A sharp dark maltiness/coffee flavor that intertwines with the hops very well.

It's moutfeel is long , with hints of the hops creeping out of the corners of my mouth minutes later. <Chewy/Chebacca is a relative of the Yeti I hear>

Overall this beer will grace my fridge again, I'd like a side by side with the non-oaked.

I was wondering when I might meet a perfect beer. Well, alas, I found one. This beer is truly exceptional to me. It pours a wonderful thick black creating a large creamy tan head. Lacing remains all over the glass. I get numerous aromas from this beer: vanilla, oak, whiskey, malts. Beautiful! The taste is incredible and very complex actually. There is chocolate, roasted malts, and even a fair amount of hops which is great. I feel like I'm drinking an amazing desert. It's criminal that I only paid $6.99 for this bomber, haha! The mouthfeel is thick and almost syrupy. For such a complex beer, this is so drinkable. Thank you Great Divide for this amazing brew!

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

On the coldest day this winter, I decided, what the hell, I'll pay $9.00 for a bomber of this stuff. Worth it? Sort of. Buy it agian? No. I was a little hesitant because I did not like the regular Yeti, too burnt. However, this one has taken that characterstic, mellowed it, and added some bark.

Very nice oaking, as I mentioned slighty less burnt than it's brother, coming across with nice roasted malts, followed by a twist of vanilla and clove. Aftertaste is mellowed by dark choclate and hazlenut. Normally I don't like reviewing beers with so many similes , but this ones deserves it.

Another fantastic offering from Great Divide. Too expensive for my tastes though. Worth a try.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer was poured from a 22 oz. brown “bomber” bottle with no freshness or date of any kind listed where I could find it on the bottle. I poured mine into a snifter glass. The beer came out a pitch black color, dark with no light coming through. Try as I might, I could not achieve a head of any sort. The nose was heavy on the roasted malts along with some dark fruits and an underlying presence of vanilla. The beer proved to be full bodied and mellowed wonderfully as it warmed. And a great drinking, and subtly complex imperial or American Double Stout. I would return to this one for sure, especially for the subtleness of its character.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had the chance to sample this one several times, both in it's bottled form (as reviewed here) and also straight from a cask at the bewery in Denver. This one never dissapoints. I am a fan of the regular yeti as well, but the oak aging really helps this one out. This is an inky/oily pitch black with a nice espresso-tinged head of foam that lasts long enough to leave some nice lacing patterns in the glass. The aromas hit hard with the bourbon up front with some lovely vanilla and spice hints as well as the aromas of figs, several other dark fruits, a slight hint of walnut, and a bit of boozey heat. The taste is roasty as hell with a big bourbon character that I just love. Vanilla and other dark sugar sources shine their heads and mingle with the slightly herbal hops and big bad malts to make a complex yet easy drinking monster, that is filling in the mouth. This is akin to a bowl of hot irish oatmeal, a triple thick chocolate milk shake, and a shot of makers mark all rolled into one.

An imperial stout in the upper eschelon of the spectrum. Fo schizzle.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Great beer. More mellow the the regular version but the alcohol seems to come out more. Poured a near black in color with a thick, tawny head. Layers of caked lace all inside the glass. It was really fin watching the carbonation separate after the pour--kind of like being a little kid at a magic show. Nose is sweet with loads of cocao and some hints of piney hops towards the back.

Flavor is a complex mellow. The wood adds a great dimension that smooths this beer out nicely and brings out a strong vanilla and whiskey flavor. I can also picki out blatant roasted malts, cocao, and some coffee beans. Actually, more of a chocolate covered cappacinno bean. Little bit of licorice too. Hop bitters come out towards the finish but really make their presence known in the aftertaste. Heavy and full mouthfeel. Really coats the tongue and cheeks. Very drinkable but the bitterness and the alcohol might be a bit too much after a while.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

The appearance is perfect. Color is pitch black with a large, thick brown head. Retention is very good. Aroma is of rich chocolate malt with a strong, pungent hop. An edge of vanilla is also noted. The taste has lots of flavor, but is also somewhat chaotic. Chocolate malt starts off a sip and soon mixes with a strong vanilla flavor. A strong pungent hop comes in midway through a sip and collides with the vanilla. Alcohol flavor is noted in the finish. Overall, Oaked Yeti has plenty of flavor going for it, but at times the flavors don't work too well together. Also the oaky vanilla was a little too strong for my tastes. Still, this is a big beer that I urge all BAs to sample.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a small tan head from a brown 22oz bomber. To me, the aroma is of chocolate/malt. Taste contains chocolate and coffee notes. I think I can taste the oak as well. This one is downright yummy. Highly recommended, worth searching out and hoarding. On the pricey side though. I'd also have to mention that the 9.5% alcohol is pretty well hidden, and it might be easy to over do it with this one.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured black into a stemmed glass. Dark, dark black, tauny and thin head sitting atop the abyss. Smells of coffee, chocolate and malt. Taste is a burnt coffee that coats your mouth with a slight hop tinge, but what stuck out the most to me with a faint, figgy taste that I enjoyed ever so much. I enjoyed this beer heartily, and will drink it again.

22oz. bottle

Pours a dark black with a cocoa head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Big aroma, very woody with the dark roasted grain and coffee aromas. Maybe a hint of vanilla.

Taste is very dark and roasty with a strong oak presence. There some espresso flavors and a nice bitter hop bite at the end. The hops and the oak linger.

Medium body and carbonation.

Pretty drinkable and very complex. I like this much better than the regular Yeti, but it could also have something to do with me cellaring this one for a while....

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

This brew poured opaque black with a nice tan head. More carbonation then I expected for such a high alcohol content. The aroma was a little lacking. There was some roasted coffee beans, but no choclate. The taste held up nicely; the flavor of coffee being apparent. The brew is thick and creamy. Not my favorite DS. I felt like there just wasn't any oak tones in the brew and the aroma seemed toned down from their regular version.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Pitch black with thin dark tan head. Webby lacing all the way down the glass. HUGE nose. Very woody with rich coffee smells and hints of vanilla. There's a little hops in the smell but very faint. The taste makes me think about how my hands smell when I have to carry in the Christmas tree. There's a huge woody taste with the expected coffee and roasted flavor that is so wonderful about the regular Yeti. Enjoyable hop balance that fades into nothingness as soon as you swallow. After the sip goes down the dry wood flavor takes over and stays with you. This is a great beer but I can't imagine having more than one in a night. The oak flavor gets to be too much for me. I'll definitely have this one again though.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

I have sampled this monster a few times but never drank a whole bottle so I decided to pick one up this weekend,pours as black as an oil slick no light showing thru when held up to the light with creamy-like rich mocha colored head thad never settles completely leaving thick sheets of lace behind as it gradually comes down.Oh the complexities in the aroma vanilla,obviously the oak with a very noticable herbal hop leaf elemant as well.Outstanding creamy mouthfeel like marshmellow in its creamy but light airy quality,just minajory of flavors dark roast coffee,unsweetened chocolat with hints of vanilla finishing oaky and earthy.A real gem to be had wich most of you already know out there,just beautiful.

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Oh my! Poured from a 22 into my "good for what ales you frequent flyer" stout glass. Poured about half of the glass from about 6 inches. Poured black and thick, the head settled out after some rapid fizzles resulting in a caramel tanned foamy puffed head.

The aroma released from the rapid foaming head was very deep. Smelled almost like a wooden barrel filled with carmelized sugar. Awesome. I had to get a sip. First sip tasted very rich and very well toasted, suprisingly hopped. Very good stuff.

Alcohol is peaking out from the depths of the black stuff. The feel is prickly and smoothed over. Medium to heavy bodied. Full strength stout. Need to let it warm up.

Warmer now. Not up to room temp yet. Much sweeter, less alcohol taste even deeper and richer. I am suprised.

Getting some expresso with robust cocoa influence. Bottle claims vanilla flovor. I get none. As the stouts warms further the aroma is even stronger preparing the senses for the taste.

I judge that the heavy malt profile is well balanced by the hops. The hoppiness was unexpected but plays well with the sweets and alcohol.

Entire mouthful sloshed around yields to big foamy feels that are a bit thick and syrupy. Probably about right for a double stout but I'm not sure since I don't have a thorough baseline of double stouts for comparison.

I really like this one for its complexity and grand depths. I'll probably get throught the bomber and possibly get another when I stop by for singles. Next time I'll share.

I gave this a "5" for appearance. This stuff looked so damn good when I poured it. The laces are smothered to my favorite pint glass. Unbelieveable.

Overall, this is a bad ass beer. The YETI would be proud.

22oz bomber, probably purchased a year ago, in south bend, had the regular yeti the other night

appearance: pours a rich/full black colour, motor oil esque but not as thick...a light bubbly chocolatey head...lacing left behind is a little uninspiring for a double stout

smell: sweet and rich chocolate, lots of roasted malt, chocolate covered cherry, vanilla, woody, heavy licorice aroma, fair amount of alcohol in the nose, mild coffee...very rich

taste: very bittersweet chocolate, syrupy, strong licorice, milky coffee, plum, cherry...dark chocolate, the results of oak aging are minimal in my opinion...mildy woody, delicate vanilla...fair grassy hop profile still shows signs. This is very good but the regular yeti is better imo

mouthfeel: smooth, alcohol hidden fairly well, creamy

drinkability: rich and heavy, but tasty

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

16.9 oz brown bomber. No freshness dating.

The beer is a midnight black with a large initial tan head. Simply awesome lacing patterns.

The beer smells of plums, raisins, port wine, alcohol & molasses. I don’t pick-up much roasted or coffee type aromas.

The taste really tracks the smell. Lots of dark fruit, a bit of sweetness that almost reminds me of an old fashioned molasses cookie. Some roasted malts emerge with a bit of vanilla, but I get more roasted malt flavor from almost any other stout. I don’t really pick-up the hops. How can that be if this beer is 75 IBUs? Don’t get me wrong, this is a massive and enjoyable beer.

The mouth is creamy and smooth. While not an everyday beer for me, this is very enjoyable and one I will revisit.

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep dark black in color with a tan brown head, leaving a spotty lacing. The smell is very nice, with hints of roasted coffee and dark chocolate, oak, and vanilla. Taste is nearly perfect, dark fruits seem to be hidden inside, but not always noticed with vanilla, coffee, and chocolate kicking in, not to mention the hop bitterness hidden in there as well. Heavy, very viscous, medium to full bodied with only a little carbonation, but quite enjoyable. I would definately have another, but I would like to try the original Yeti first to compare the two.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

This pours out into my Stone Imperial Russian Stout tulip a glopping, robust black, upon which I am required to force-pour a very thin head. Like a couple of other serious Imperial Stouts, this one just doesn't want to hold a head, though the brown-brown-brown ring that remains leaves behind spots of lacing.

This has a dark, roasty malt smell that carries scents that I am positive have been imparted by the oak aging - a kind of astringent vanilla. It's robust, for sure.

The taste definitely carries characteristics of oak aging, and I wish now that I had bought the original Yeti to compare the two. The taste begins very, very smooth, with a vanilla-bean maltiness, then transitions to a hard-hitting astringent, alcoholic malt and hop profile that kicks with a brief, Cascade-like bitterness.

Smooth, thick mouthfeel that packs an alcoholic warming punch - I recommend letting it warm as you sip. Carbonation is minimal, but the alcohol bites a little harder than I'd like, and makes the mouthfeel a little too harsh for something thick.

This beer packs a serious punch, heavy, complex, and aggressive, despite - or perhaps due to - the aok cask aging. I fully intend to try the original Yeti.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am drinking a 22 oz bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip. The ale is slightly chilled.

Appearance: The ale is deep, midnight black. Hints of ruby red emerge when the ale is held to light. It pouts with a decent head that leaves a nice lace pattern.

Smell: The buttery oak notes dominate and stout/roast character. The aroma is very pleasing and does not come across as overly sweet.

Taste: The buttery flavor noted in the nose continues into the taste. In this instance (unlike some other oak aged stouts), there is no cloying sweetness. The is a soft sweet note imparted from the barrels, but it mixes nicely with the strong roasted malt flavor of the stout.

Mouthfeel: The ale seems to burn a little in the mouth. The buttery oak and roasted flavors mix very well outside of that.

Drinkability: The strength of the flavors is a bit overpowering. Despite that, this is a good ale, although I look forward to trying it outside of the oak casks.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Fascinating. Some friends and I did a side-by-side tasting of the Oak Aged next to regular Yeti. Truly enlightening. I'd had Oak Aged before, by itself, and the oak characteristics did not jump out as glaringly as they did in the side-by-side tasting.

First, i took a whiff of the regular Yeti. Nice potent, roasty Imperial aroma. Spot on for the style. Then, i picked up the glass of Oak Aged and inhaled. Wow, loads of oakiness overwhelming all the aroma found in the original.

Then a sip of the regular. Exactly what you'd expect from a RIS. Deep roasted, chocolate notes. Thick and alcohol-forward. I proceeded to the Oak Aged and holy crap. It was like chewing on a piece of furniture. The original Yeti was in there somewhere, but well-hidden behind an overpowering oak character. Nothing remotely subtle about it. Oak oak oak.

This would probably be a good crossover beer for bourbon snobs.

But the oak flavor is so mind-blowing that it detracts from the overall enjoyability and drinkability of the beer. They should tone it down a bit. Original Yeti wins hands-down.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Paid $6.99 for a 22oz bomber in Boulder, CO. 9.5% ABV, 75 IBU's. Aged on a bed of French and toasted oak chips.

Pours out to what appears to be clear near black but not opaque. Not quite as thick as I expect for an Imperial, but then my Impys are Founder and Bells which are like oil. At any rate, the bubbles to take some time to rise, telling me that this is still a hefty brew. They form a sticky and thick dark cocoa head with superior retention and beautiful sticky lacing. Carbonation is moderate. I get the impression that this was force carbonated. The aroma is akin to a Baltic Porter with a ton of raisins, prunes, dates, vanilla, black walnut and cocoa, held in check by some lightly herbaceous hops. The mouthfeel is semi-oily with a dense but not syrupy body. The taste is a recap of the aroma. Compared to the regular Yeti, the green grassy hops have mellowed, and the off-flavors and fusels are absent. The mouthfeel is still somewhat harsh, especially in the charred aftertaste and there is a burnt wood/acetone finish still there that I don't care for. Vanilla still stands up against these faults in the finish.

MUCH better than the regular Yeti, but still not a favorite in my list of Impy stouts. The aging has helped soften the faults tremendously but it still has a way to go.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. Yeti Oak Aged Stout pours out a nearly black color with a large dark brown head. The aroma is so chocolatey and malty. Some woody characteristics in the nose, but it's mainly chocolate and roasted malt. The flavor follows from the aroma, although there is more hop flavor than I expected. Thick and chewy maltiness. Alcohol burns the throat occasionally. Very similar to the regular Yeti Imperial Stout. I only detect a little oak flavor. A very good beer, but a bit expensive ($8 for 22 ounce bottle).

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: pours out a thick and red to purple color with a lacing that's the same color. It has a fruity sweet and sour smell. The smell is quite different, but when you get used to it, it is very enjoyable. Fruity smell of plum and grape. The dark roasted coffee is a good aftertaste. It's good. Very hoppy and it tastes great, and it seems to hide the coffee flavor until it sits on your tongue. Mouthfeel is heavy, but not quite full-bodied. I enjoyed this beer immensely, a great victory The Great Divide Brewery.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Looks like dirty old engine oil as I pour it into my tulip glass. In the glass there are hints of brown and burgundy that creep around the edges. The head is a bright tan copper that fell to a ring and left a great lace.

Smells of grassy rhubarb, smoky coffee, chocolate and something that I can only say reminds me of barbecue chicken.

The flavor begins with a an initial crisp dry coffee, a definite woody oak and a nip of hops. It then fades into a mind blowing blueberry sweetness. I thought this was a fluke, but upon successive tastes, it was there every time. The fruity notes then transition into a coffee and smooth dark chocolate. This beer finishes with a dry lingering espresso. Great dynamics here, top notch!

The mouth feel is medium bodied with tiny bubbles that are so smooth it gives the impression of pudding or a milk shake.

Nice beer. A little too much coffee in the finish, but terrifically enjoyable.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours out just as black as the normal yeti... black black black. Big dark tan head foams up. looks very spongy. good lacing. Smells initially like chocolate. Some roasted coffee aromas. hoppy smell does sneak through. this is one stouty stout. Tastes very rich and heavy. Very sweet to me. I like this, but i dont think i like this one as much as the regular yeti. The mouthfeel is the thickest i've ever had that i can think of. Very full. Lots of malts. Good carbonation.

Overall i wish i would have saved this a few years before i had it. I think it needs some milding. I think its a great beer though, but i would prefer the normal yeti.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company