2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutOak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,497 | Reviews: 1,554 | Show All Ratings:
CoastieSimon

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

What a Brew! Let me start of by saying that I thought the Regular Great Divide Imperial was one of the best I have tasted, and this one beats it for sure!

Poured from bottle into a Pint glass. Black as night, held it up to sunlight and nothing got through. Leaves a nice head that dies out pretty quickly. Smell is probably the best part about this beer, you get the smell of vanilla, with some of the oak and chocolate and it smells amazing! Now the taste, you can def. taste the booze up front a bit, but once you swallow it the amazing taste comes. Things like for me up front is the vanilla/coffee beans flavor, and the lingering taste is like dark chocolate. As for the drinkability it drinks great and has a nice mouthfeel, but you can prob just drink one of these as it is so rich and has a ton of ABV.

One of the best stouts I have tasted as of late. To be honest it is more well balanced than the '10 Abyss!

Great Brew Great Divide!

01-08-2011 22:22:29 | More by CoastieSimon
jayt206

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Jet black with subtle deep crimson accents. Two finger dark mocha head with lacing that likes to hang around.

S: Chocolate, coffee, and roasty/salty caramel. A hint of vanilla and alcohol.

T: Very sweet. Milk chocolate, dark roast coffee, and an earthy/hoppy finish.

M: Medium, creamy. Light carbonation.

D: Very drinkable and slightly warming. Smooth and well balanced. I will definitely be on the lookout for more of this brew.

02-13-2011 04:31:09 | More by jayt206
Kubus

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

650 mL bottle in a small plastic cup. Thanks a lot Holiday Inn...

A: Looks a lot like espresso. Deep brown with a decent 2 fingers of light brown head. Goes away and leaves a nice white lace.

S: Hops and Dark chocolate, some phenols.

T: Starts off with a rich, refined mix of chocolate and coffee then devolves into a blunt taste of hops before finishing with an aftertaste which has some light alcohol burn and an oak/wine aftertaste.

M: Filling, chewy, and rich. Has the consistency of chocolate milk.

O: A good beer overall, definitely worth buying again. Could use a bit less hops, but still good.

07-12-2011 05:06:25 | More by Kubus
Ry_Swell_Guy

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Just a great looking, great smelling stout! One can pick up notes of the oak at first wiff, and that first taste! Woa! It's great! 9.5% but you would never know it! My favorite part was the texture, it just is so smooth and nice. Recommend to anyone who likes a nice stout.

07-05-2013 19:13:32 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
derrickt007

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured jet black with no light coming through. Nice tan head that sticks around for a bit with good lacing.

N: roasted malts, some chocolate, and a small amount of vanilla and hop smell in there.

T: I get hit with chocolate and roasted malt tastes up front fading into a hint of vanilla and bittersweet chocolate.

M: Very good mouthfeel, lots of flavors coming through more and more as it warms, very balanced beer.

D: very high for me, and to me the alcohol is hidden pretty well in this beer.

01-04-2006 04:51:23 | More by derrickt007
maltysfalcon

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Tasted along with Dogfish "World Wide Stout", which blew it away, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is a fine stout in its own right. Dark as midnight, head fades fairly quickly as it is not overly carbonated. Very dark, roasted aromas of Espresso and charcoal. In flavor, there is a fairly hoppy influence. The beer is dry and viscous. The oak influence seems to temper the flavors slightly but is not as prevalent as I would have thought. Very flavorful and powerful, but alcohol is in balance with the intense flavors and aromas. Veru good overall.

07-30-2007 00:02:57 | More by maltysfalcon
hayalex6

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

2005 vintage 22oz bottle purchased at Whip In.

Appearance: Jet black with just a tiny amount of foam.

Smell: Sweet with a hint of oak. Smells a bit like dried cherries with a little booziness.

Taste: The oak is very powerful and sits in the middle of my tongue after swallowing. There is a nice caramel malt flavor as well. No hint at the alcohol, and it's not overwhelming in any aspect, very well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Feels thick and chewy, with tiny bubbles. The oak makes the tongue feel a bit dry after drinking.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. The only hint of the alcohol comes from a bit of the smell, but none in the taste.

11-07-2009 03:36:35 | More by hayalex6
CLBizzle

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber bottled in October 7, 2011 poured into a Riedel beer glass.

A: pours black as night with a finger width Carmel colored head. Bubbles small fade slowly to leave a nice lacing on the glass.

S: warm nose, slight coffee hint.

T: wow a light/perfect touch of vanilla that fades to a slight sweet finish. Carmel and coffee hint to tongue for sure. Very well balanced.

M: light mouthfeel, not cloying in any regards. Very drinkable.

01-11-2012 01:44:49 | More by CLBizzle
byteme94

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Drank after a Bells Expedition Stout. Was a very nice affordable upgrade from the bells during the Phils/Giants game. Bottled in Dec 07,2010.

Poured with a finger of burnt golden head, nicely laced against the glass. Very nice oak on the nose as well as during tasting. Your normal choc and coffee notes, nothing extra special...just special.

A little bit of alcohol could be detected which makes me wanna buy a few more to age for a year or even more, if they last that long.

Graded on a hard scale I'd give this a B+ to A-. Def would drink and buy anytime I could.

07-27-2011 23:49:27 | More by byteme94
RealityGrill

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into Imperial Pint

A: Darkest head I've ever seen...perhaps even mahogany

S: Coffee and Vanilla

T: Intense vanilla over a roasted coffee-molasses, with a welcome alcoholic warmth to finish

M: Syrupy and filling

D: The bomber got me very nicely buzzed...I think I would lose my ability to appreciate this beer after 2 pints.

Overall, one of the best stouts I've had.

08-14-2010 05:19:51 | More by RealityGrill
twelvepack

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A-Pours a dark black color with a rusty brown head. Lacing seems to hang for quite a while.

S- Smells of dark fruit, roasted malt, a bit of chocolate and oak.

T- At first a hint of sweetness is followed with a strong roasted malt flavor, moves into some dark chocolate, sweet fruit and leaves a roasted oaky aftertaste.

M- Really enjoyed the way this came to life at this stage. A nice smoothness develops into a wonderful creaminess.

D- Definitely a drinkable beer. Slow and steady on this one fellas.

02-24-2011 21:19:26 | More by twelvepack
volklshred

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured into snifter. bottled date 10/07/2010.

a-Pours thick with dark chocolate color nearly black. Head is a creamy brown color.

s-Chocolate, molasses, alcohol, roasted malt, dark fruit and a touch of anise.

t-The front tastes very Oaky. I'm getting lots of burnt spicy malt throughout. The finish is very smoky and bitter. Much improved taste upon warming. Sweet milk sugars become abundant

m-Very acidic but has a very well distributed carbonation.

d-Quite drinkable for a regular imperial stout consumer.

I remember this beer being more chocolaty and a lot less smoky last year. I'm drawing some spice notes that I can't quite place. Overall this is a very tasty imperial stout.

11-28-2010 20:45:46 | More by volklshred
auee92

Georgia

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Chocolate coffee alcohol, with a little soy sauce on top.

Appearance: Pours a dense beautiful black, with minimal head, and a quarter inch of tan foam.

Taste: A very light sweetness up front, with a lightly bitter, medium sour, teaser sitting on the tongue.

Palate: This stout has a light body, thin, slick. oily feel to it with very soft carbonation.

Overall: Very good Imperial Stout, very drinkable and hides the 9% very well.

04-11-2014 03:18:27 | More by auee92
MarkAvery

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WHAMMY! Favorite stout of the moment. Delicious undertones in this beer. smooth all the way through. And the appearance on this is phenomenal as well. I would drink this all day. I'm just starting to focus more on Imperial Stouts and this so far is one of my favorites and stuck out to me and grabbed my attention. Plus theres a goddam yeti on it!

12-23-2013 15:33:07 | More by MarkAvery
t8000shx

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

22oz bomber, aged no longer than it sat on the shelf at the store, so hard to say. Bottle wasn't dusty, looked in good shape (ie label was crisp and not peeling)

A - Looked good, this might have been the best part. Pitch black, amber head, dissipated fairly quickly leaving a small lace. That black-hole color of serious imperial stouts is a huge turn on.

S - Also no slouch. Smelled slightly dried-fruity, raisins or currants. Plenty of coffee and roasted malt scent, and a bit of hops.

T&M - This was a disappointment. Perhaps I should have let it age to allow the flavors to gel better, but that undercurrent of hops I picked up on in the scent were oddly all over the place in the flavor, especially when the beer was still cold. I strongly recommend against drinking this beer much cooler than room temperature, the hops dominated way more than I expected for an Imp Stout. As it warmed up, the hops backed off of the initial taste and the coffee and fruitiness came through a bit more, but fairly quickly the hoppiness makes itself felt, and not in a particularly balanced way. All in all, the beer was good, at best, once it warmed up. The mouthfeel was fine, pleasant viscosity and thickness, somehow reminded me of an Sam Adams Cream Stout (a personal favorite - a bit generic, I know).

D - I did not finish the bottle. Partially because I just was getting full, but also because the flavor was becoming overwhelming on my palette, and was becoming cloying.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Imp Stouts in general, no question my favorite style of beer. I was tremendously excited about this one and very disappointed in the result, so perhaps some of my negativity was driven by my expectations not being met. I'm thinking of buying another bottle to cellar for a couple years and try it again later.

11-30-2007 03:58:18 | More by t8000shx
bunn4funn

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. 10/19/05

This Beer is by far my favorite double stout out there!!! It pours a used motor oil looking thick black, with a one finger head that dissapates into a ring around the glass and a slight oiling in the middle. Some decent lacing as i enjoyed this brew.

The nose was of vanilla and chocolate roasted malts and a little alcohol. A very plesent experience.

This beer is huge in the flavor department. Starts off with the typical chocolate roasted malts with hints of vanilla just in the middle and a gentle bite from the 75ibu. As this beer warms it really starts to shine. Every sip is so antisipated because of the complexity of flavors swirling around on the tounge. Its like candy to me.

Oak aged yeti is Thick, and very well balanced. Its not "hard" to drink thick but you know its there. Smooth creamy mouthfeel and very easy to drink will get you in trouble with the abv% Agian my favorite double yet !!!!

12-06-2005 13:50:40 | More by bunn4funn
ddarity

Oklahoma

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really nice Imperial Stout. Nice aroma but a little subdued. Subtle tones of alcohol in the nose which I believe is appropriate for the style. Smooth lingering mouthfeel and overall very drinkable. Nice warming sensation. I really enjoyed this beer. I am realitively new to the style but this sample really makes me want to know more.

03-21-2006 02:47:55 | More by ddarity
eaglefreak

Mississippi

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

22 ounces bottle poured gradually into a Delirium glass on 7/5/08. This was my first oak aged beer of any kind. Can't wait to try more. The pour produced a big, fluffy mocha head and the body of the beer was the color of a rich, dark coffee. I smelled coffee, chocolate, and oak. I loved the taste of this RIS. The oak aging really softens the 75 IBUs. Tasted like a nice chocolate liquer without too much of the alcohol taste. Although the alcohol was more noticeable as this beer warmed. I liked the mouth feel, not too thick for a RIS and I enjoyed the light oaky aftertaste. As far as drinkability, a single 22 oz. bomber is plenty for me in one night. I will seek this beer out and will look for other oak aged beer.

07-06-2008 19:45:11 | More by eaglefreak
badmandy

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a strong head and pretty lacing stuck around. The smell was woodsy and roasted malt. Dark malty taste at first, but soon the alcohol hits and overpowers things for me. Long hoppy bitter finish. Medium to full bodied, can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A sipping beer for me, no way I can finish a bomber.

04-05-2009 02:54:36 | More by badmandy
jlpepper13

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a brandy snifter from 22 oz bottle.

A: Pours out jet black with half to full finger of light brown head that dissipates after a minute or so. Brown ring of tiny carbonation beads line where the beer meets the glass.

S: Smells of coffee and dark chocolate. Lots of roastyness that lets me know this is going to be powerfully bitter at the end of the drink. Strong coffee is the main player in the aroma. Don't get much oak though which I had assumed would be a distinct characteristic.

T: Get's hit with a huge amount of sweet maltyness that blends to strong cocoa almost right away. Comes to bitter coffee, as expected, in the back palate. No hop character with a very boozy aftertaste.

M: medium bodied for a stout. Slight creamyness that makes it somewhat filling. 22 oz is all I would be able to take of this beer as that much made me fill heavy and light headed.

O: Pretty much what I expected after sampling the nose of the beer. Lots of coffee and chocolate bitterness. Good but would definitely be a sipping beer for me as the coffee and alcohol was a bit overpowering in large gulps. I drink most all of my beer at just under room temperature to get the full spectrum of flavor from my beer. some oak character picked up in the second fill to finish off the bomber which was nice.

12-26-2011 04:26:59 | More by jlpepper13
dspolanco

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance-Motor Oil Jet Black, cream mocha head. Beautiful

Smell-This brew smells delicious, big coffee notes, oak, smokiness, and a malty sweetness!

Taste- I have found the Yeti and its everything I imagined. Up front you get the coffee bitterness, than immediately the malt back bone takes over and blends it together. Some notes of vanilla, and smokiness from being oak aged. At 9.5 ABV you don't taste this at all. Delicious!!!!

Mouthfeel-Perfect

Overall-This brew is simply fantastic! I encourage my fellow BA's to track and find this Yeti as it will not disappoint! Great Divide you have done it again. Nearly Flawless.

Cheers!

02-24-2013 15:56:51 | More by dspolanco
maddmatt48

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

A-Darker than a Coke almost as dark as espresso with a brown foam.

S-Smells like chocolate, cherries, prunes, and a little vanilla.

T-Up front, prunes and dried fruit with chocolate and finish like strong coffee.

A good imperial stout, not my favorite, but good.

09-12-2008 05:28:02 | More by maddmatt48
lucasbm

Mississippi

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

A - A nice dark beer with a beautiful dark tan to light brown head with nice lacing.

S - It smells sweet and malty, Chocolaty, a hint of raisins, and with a slight coffee smell.

T - Malty, Chocolate, woody/oak flavor, I get a little bit of a room temp coffee taste.

M - Carbonated, with a full velvety feel.

D - Wonderful IRS. First of its kind for me. Not an everyday drinker but, definately a special occasion beer. Could see me drinking this on cold nights during winter.

09-24-2008 01:45:51 | More by lucasbm
AJDean

Washington

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance- What you would expect from a imperial stout. Motor oil black. Great head retention that stays until the last half ounce. I have honestly never seen a beer cling longer to the side of a glass. The lacing cannot be beat.
Smell- Coffee, tobacco, smoke. This is what the beer promises, and the flavor lives up to the nose of the beer.
Taste- Beautifully bitter from the cocoa nibs. Oaky smoke from the get go. This is what you bought the beer for right? At first the burn in the back of your throat might confuse your palate. This is the heat from the cayenne, not the alcohol... which is masked perfectly. The front flavor definitely favors the oak presence. The back finish clearly exhibits the cocoa nibs and the cayenne.
Overall- This is an exceptional beer, that is worth the $10.50. This is a HUGE beer, definitely a sipper, a 22 ouncer best shared by two.

05-30-2011 03:05:56 | More by AJDean
bvarn

Washington

Let me start by saying that I love Imperial Stouts.

A: Black as the blood of a Yeti. This beer is entirely opaque. Light could not even penetrate the thin stream of this bold brew as I poured it into my snifter. It formed and retained a deep caramel head.

S: Bitter chocolate, oak, vanilla, espresso.

T: Wow.

M: Absolutely massive. The alcohol warms you as it goes down but it is masked perfectly.

D: Respect the Yeti. I will be having this again. Worth the price.

01-05-2011 00:42:05 | More by bvarn