Join our email list →

Great Divide Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,636 | Hads: 4,422
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

a. black and brown and all chocolate sex. very nice finger width dark brown head.

s. leaves a lovely coffee chocolate hoppy malty pungent smell,
(i dare you to drink me)

t. so much better than the normal yeti. so much. oak, pine balance with the perfect coffee and chocolate notes. oh man, this is just sublime, im not lying. try it on tap.

m. low carb, but silky and begging to be sipped. not overpowering.

d. perfect. perfect.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a tulip. Black as coffee with a nice inch of chocolate milk head which fades shortly but leaves some nice lacing...overall the best appearance I've seen for the style. The smell is vinous. Pears, chocolate and coffee blend nicely and you can clearly make out the scent of fresh hops. Taste is pretty amazing, coffee and chocolate followed by some slightly sweet raison, fig and vanilla flavors. There is a nice and suprising belgian-like spiciness in the middle followed by some bourbon and vanilla tastes that really shine through as the brew warms. Lots of nice oily hops coat the tongue and linger bitterly in the aftertaste...didn't see that coming from a stout. Alcohol is hidden quite deceptively in the taste. Just a big, complex beast. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and perfect in my opinion. Drinkability is hindered slightly because of the abv and richness but I could easily polish off two bombers of this in a night. Overall one of my favorite beers from the stout family and one I could enjoy over and over again and maybe get just a bit more out of it everytime. Wonderful.

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Black as night, pours with a medium heavy brown head with plenty of lacing.

S- This is unlike most of the regular coffee note stouts. Plenty of hops that come right out at you. The hops kinda drown out many of the other smells, but there is a bit of vanilla and some maltyness.

T- Great sweetness with hops that balance out the malt. Great vanilla aromas, coffee, and some berries.

M- Great chewy stout, light carbonation (Fits this beer well). I guess chewy is the bast way to describe this one.

D- Great stout, it just made my top 5 in stouts just for its originality. Will get this one again!

Wavz

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

bomber poured into tulip

A- mocha head, 2 fingers on semi-hard pour, dark black opaque liquid, lacing is fairly consistent around the glass in wavy pattern. Retention is good for 1mm or so, doesn't dissipate easily.

S- Strong chocolate aroma, fudge-y (has the buttery, heavy, american fudge shop smell), some fruit and spice like cinnamon spiced fruit cake, valhrona cocoa powder, vanilla from the oak aging. MUCH better/mellower/enjoyable overall in comparison to the regular yeti- no harsh alcohol smell by comparison.

T- Sweet chocolate up front and middle, like a smooth dark chocolate. Bit of coffee as well. Hop bitterness appears again at the end, but unlike the original yeti, is much more mellowed out and less pronounced due to oak aging. Some vanilla bean flavor as well, no harsh boozy alcohol/solvent aroma/flavor in comparison to the original- well hidden abv.

M- smooth, chewy, full bodied. Carbonation is mildly there, and mellowed hops produce minimal astringency. Finish is fairly smooth.

D- overall, this is a much more enjoyable beer than the regular yeti. One of the few oak aged stouts I truly enjoyed, as other oaked stouts lend more sourness/overly woody notes. This is a well balanced oaked stout, delicious to drink any time.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Its cold out I need a beer to warm up with.
This yeti pours a deep black, no brown hints here. A nice fluffy dark tan head rises about one inch up. Head settles to a thin creamy layer that lasts and lasts. Leaves gobs o' lace.
Smell is of smokey, roasted malts. Also aromas of vanilla, molasses, coffee and chocolate.
This Imperial tastes great. Bitter chocolate, vanilla extract, smokiness.
A heavy and creamy mouthfeel that coats and leaves a nice dry, slightly bitter chocolate aftertaste.
A 22 oz bomber will satisfy your Stout craving. Anymore than that and I would need a nap.
Yum. Yum. Yum.

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle in a Duvel tulip glass

A: Jet black as stouts should be, but the head was a bit weak

S: Lots of malts and chocolate

T: Not the most complex stout by any means, but a solid taste; lots of chocolate and roasted notes rounded out at the back with a faint hops bitterness.

M: Not as thick in the mouthfeel as I would prefer from the style

D: Very drinkable and smooth. You could probably finish a whole bomber without laboring too much.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearence is extremely dark, possibly the darkest I've had. Beautiful two-finger espresso colored head that lasts throughout. Around the edge of the head is a darker, orange colored ring. Leaves behind a very nice lacing all throughout the glass.

Smells amazing...vanilla right off the bat, dark chocolate, raisin, just a slight hint of other fruits..pear or plum possibly? Oak and lots of hops.

Taste is very complex, begins with some bitterness from the hops but it quickly dissipates and brings about the vanilla and oak, then coffee, and finishes with some hoppy tones.

Mouthfeel is thick and warm, full of flavor and very pleasant.

I would drink this beer very often if it were easier to find in Columbus, the abv seemed even higher than 9.5 although it wasn't apparent in the flavor. This beer is one damn fine example of why I usually prefer Imperial Stouts over Porters...Excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Black as a black hole ! Thick dark brown head that fades and leaves around two fingers after its calmed down. Lovely Lacing.

Smell: Hops, Alcohol, Burnt/Char, coffee, cocoa.

Taste: Alcohol, Burnt/Char, Coffee, Cocoa, burnt sugars ?

Mouthfeel: Thick and sexy. Coats the mouth and leaves a slight burn followed by charred oakey coffee !

Drinkability: For me, I love a good stout, and could drink one daily... although its probably not the best idea. Great to share with a few buddies over conversation !

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours with the same great head as the original Yeti and still looks enticing. Has an odd smell I can't recognize, very musty. The brew gained some smoothness and a bit of consistancy on the mouthfeel, but a bit milder on the bitterness. Also, I can tast a little bit of vanilla.
Still a very good beer; however, the oak takes away the other aromas that were in the original yeti, that I liked very much, like coffee, chocolate, and that roastiness. This is my only dislike with this brew. Though, it possesses it's own charicteristics that make it an oak aged IS.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours think-pitch black with an incredibly sexy dark copper head that shines. Smells of think dark chocolate, frosted covered dark chocolate donuts, and all wrapped in some licorice. The sheer look and nose alone makes this beer pleasing. The taste does justice to the nose, and actually has a little bit of a background of acid to make the beer feel lively. Very creamy, silky bakers yeast of darkbreaded cinnamon cupcakes. I'm sure theres quite a bit of hops in this beer to really make a good effort to balance the dark roasted style of this lively oaked beer. The only thing is the notes of oak are very elusive, only the slighest hint of vanilla prevails on the background of the yeast. A great beer, very drinkable with a balance of hops to the malt. What can i say, this beer is sexy.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Amazing. Deep roasted malt balanced by heavy carbonation and oak dryness. Served in snifter. Aroma of espresso, malt, oak, vanilla and deep carmel. The dryness of alcohol and oak balance this malt heavy and sweet aroma driven beer. My personal favorite for this style.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'll not reiterate all the minutea of this brew. Everything one would expect from a good imperial stout but the taste falls short. A substantial alkalinity on the finish and lingering after; not just the oak. Perhaps a bad bottle/batch. 3/24/15

3.86/5  rDev -9%

L: Pours absolutely tar black. Thick, red-brown head that tastes creamy and resembles the foam atop a French press of coffee.

S: Hops! How weird for a stout to smell so much like an IPA. The intense hop presence appears to be from the original, pre-aged Yeti.

T: A hoppy taste as well! Oak is present, for sure as is the fruity bite of an IPA. This sounds bad, but it tastes like a yeti - dark, rich, robust, and bitter.

F: Chews like fluffy clouds with mass. Rounded edges.

O: It's a stout with attitude for sure. Your mouth feels like it does after drinking an IPA. A little tacky, but delicious. It's a very, very unique stout that takes the ale aspect to 11.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

This is my first Oak Aged Imperial Stout so I have no point of reference from which to judge it against others. I had just finished a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout when I decided to pop this. Probably a mistake, but I did cleanse my palate.

The first thing I noticed immediately upon pouring was the very dark, chocolatey rather full head. The smell is slightly woody with a hint of chocolate and carmel, My first sip told me this was a fine stout with no bitter aftertaste. For me, it is difficult to sort out the variety of flavours this held. There is a semi sweet taste that immediately hits. Perhaps a dark cherry. Very little alcohol taste, although it was a bit oily and dig linger, pleasingly so.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare this to the Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, but this isn't a bad beer and one I will definitely try again, on it's own.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle: Aroma of sweet roasted malts, caramel and hops. Black body with a creamy, brown lasting head. Nice lacing. Full bodied. Hops, roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, liquorice and oranges in the flavour. Oily texture. Sweet/ bitter finish. A great beer and very enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - Pours and looks like used motor oil. Thick, black with a dark caramel colored head. Head disperses quickly and just leaves a caramel colored ring around the glass.
S - Smell is sweet with some hints of coffee, chocolate and estery alcohols.
T - Taste is bitter sweet. Roasted malt is very apparent, but there's enough coffee and dark chocolate bitterness to cut through. I didn't get much vanilla from the oak, but I'd have to line this up side-by-side with the regular Yeti to know the difference.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy. What you'd expect from a big stout.
D - Great to drink, but heavy and highly alcoholic which would limit most people to only one or two in a sitting. But nothing about the taste that would make you want to stop.

Really enjoyed this beer, but I'd have to say the regular Yeti on tap was better than this in a bottle. If I can find it on tap I'd love to give it another try. I'd also like to try it side by side with the regular Yeti so I can better appreciate the oak aging.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with a friend. Deep dark brown in color with a nice tan thick head. Aroma of dark chocolate and very roasty like coffee. Very roasty. Big malty aroma. Big palate. Palate is smooth. Rich flavors. Full bodied beer. Excellent enjoyable beer.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from a 22oz bottle a thick, inky black that is opaque even when held up to bright light. After a vigorous pour, the light brown head swelled and held at around an inch and a half and left rings of lacing as I drank. The head was darker than many beers are themselves and at least some of the dense, rich cap stayed for the whole session. Smell is of dark chocolate and vanilla and not very strong. The taste is a nice balance of roasted dark malt bitterness and woody, vanilla notes. Slight hop profile in the finish. Subtly smoky oak flavor masks the alcohol nicely. The body is full and chewy with a pleasant creaminess. This is delicious beer from Great Divide and I was very happy when my local Whole Foods started carrying it. I've picked it up several times and will continue to do so.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured opaque black with small brown head.

Smelled like coffee and roasted malts. Could also make out a some caramel and something that reminded me of whiskey. I assume this was from the oak aging.

Strong roasted malts flavors dominated. With a bit of vanilla and coffee. Excellent layering of flavors. Very complex and luxurious.

Felt very smooth, with very little carbonation.

This beer has excellent flavor and smoothness, but it is also very filling. It is one I will definitely get again, but I would not be able to drink large amounts at a time. This beer was a graduation present from my a friend, who I then shared it with, of course. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend like that. Thanks Bobby!

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Imperial stout isn't usually the first beer I reach for at the liquor store. Even in the dead of winter I find them a little too heavy to really enjoy. And I don't necessarily think they're always more "complex". In my opinion yeast provides the most nuance and complexity in good beer and good luck identifying the yeast in a 75 IBU imperial stout. (A quick review of the Beeradvocate Top 100 proves I'm firmly in the minority on this opinion.) Still, I can appreciate a good imperial stout and Oak Aged Yeti is a worthy contender. This beer pours like motor oil with a rich espresso-like head that doesn't dissipate. It tastes (and feels) like you're drinking a dark chocolate brownie. It actually has pretty good balance despite the pugilistic flavor profile. It's definitely big and you do get some good oak. I wasn't that hungry tonight so this Yeti is my meal and I have to say I'm enjoying my meal.

Recommended music pairing - Black Keys - Brother

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

A- pours a deep opaque black, and a thick tan head that stays on the beer for a long time
S- sort of weak on the nose, a little oak and a little toasted malts
T- lots of toasted oats and malts, a small bit of dark chocolate and coffee, with a little touch of alcohol, the oak comes through on the aftertaste, i just want more of the flavors
M- could be a lot thicker for an oak aged stout, but its not bad, slightly creamy, lingers on the pallet for some time
D- pretty drinkable, but the alcohol shows itself just a little too much, it could use 6 months to a year in the cellar

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- pitch black body with creamy brown heady and minimal lacing
S - oak and chocolate, aroma not as strong as I was expecting
T - huge oak flavor initially with bitter sweet chocolate and coffee. Strong coffee flavor lingers
M - moderate
O - great stout with huge flavors

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

I love Great Divide.

These guys are my Southern Tier Brewing equivolent of the West/Mid-West.

Oak Aged Yeti is truly a beast. This stout has enormous flavor and packs a punch. The 9.5%abv is remarkable.

If you like stouts this has to be on your list of gotta-try-it.

I wish they sold this by the keg where I live.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Oak Yeti is midnight black in color with a bronze/brown head; lacing is significant. Dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the smell, becoming more pronounced as the stout warms. The roasted and chocolate influences carry over to the taste, with a hint of vanilla. (I haven't tried regular Yeti so can't compare.) Citrus-tasting hops kick in and continue to the end, lingering in the after-taste. I sipped Oak Yeti while watching a movie at home.

Did I enjoy it? - of course, it's bold and powerful. For me, the hops are slightly too prominent compared to the roasted malt components. For a hoppy stout, I prefer something like Bear Republic Big Black Bear where the hops are evident but more in balance. I'll certainly drink Oak Yeti again though and also try the non-oak version.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company