Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,607 | Hads: 4,274
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. split with jramey2. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours black, black, black, with about a 3-finger (!) head of brown (not tan, like most stouts I've had, brown).

S: Smells like roasted malts and hops. Smell is quite pleasant but not real strong.

T: Taste is of malts, hops, and oak. Hoppier than most RIS's I've tasted, which to me is a good thing. Touch of chocolate and coffee as well.

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, carbonation is good.

D: Could drink this all night if it wasn't 9.5%.

An excellent stout, and one of Great Divide's better offerings. (560 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer! (664 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured extremely dark with a thinish tan head. Nose was musty, a little spicy, and alcohol, not extremely pleasant. Taste was big and malty, a little roasty, alcohol, and plumbs. Mouthfeel has moderately low carbonation, pretty decent.

Definitely not a favorite, but not bad. (319 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

First of all i'm glad I followed my intuition to pick this one up, balanced out of this world, with everything going on. Better than stone russian, even with the higher abv it's better than Samuel Smith Imperial stout. I digress, let me calm down.

the 22oz bomber had a label date bottled on 1/6/2010 that great, mainly since they use more hops than other imperial stouts, that might be the trick there.

the appearance had a chocolate head, dark body, nice and thick.

the smell was of chocolate,

the taste was so balanced i felt the alcohol more than i tasted it.

the mouthfeel was creamy and delicious it was so fresh.

the drinkability is good as long as you drink responsibly (684 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer really surprised me. Not sure why but my expectations were low. I enjoyed this very much. Excellent flavor that starts strong and keeps going. (154 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought this 22 oz. at Spec's in South Austin. Appearance was black with a huge clingy head. It smells sweet and strong. The first thing I noticed was the malty sweetness and alcoholic burn. There is a nice toastiness and hoppiness in the aftertaste. Hints of vanilla, burnt toast, as well as some bitter metallic and piney tastes. This beer feels thick and bubbly in your mouth and remains on your taste buds for quite some time.

This is a more well rounded Imperial Stout than others I have tried. Between Yeti and Old Rasputin I think my needs are met. Not a style I drink often, but this beer is enjoyable, complex, and potent at 9.5 ABV. Definately something to try once, and, if your into Imperial Stouts, enjoy often! (724 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

dark black with a huge tan head.

smells like coffee, wood, chocolate, hops.

tastes as smells, creamy and thick!

goes down smooth. nice hoppiness. awesome RIS.

very good drinkability for an impy stout. awesome brew! definitely in the upper echelon of stouts that I have tried. (279 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber bottled in October 7, 2011 poured into a Riedel beer glass.

A: pours black as night with a finger width Carmel colored head. Bubbles small fade slowly to leave a nice lacing on the glass.

S: warm nose, slight coffee hint.

T: wow a light/perfect touch of vanilla that fades to a slight sweet finish. Carmel and coffee hint to tongue for sure. Very well balanced.

M: light mouthfeel, not cloying in any regards. Very drinkable. (437 characters)

Poured into a New Belgium Globe (Sorry GD, the tulip is dirty)
A- Pours a thick inky black. No light can pierce this wonderful bastard. Topped with a nice, dark, creamy head. Dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving a nice layer and a lot of lacing. Head kind of reminds me of a cherry stout (hmmmm, cherry yeti, awesome idea, if I do say so myself.)
S- Another home run. BIG roasted malt notes here. Vanilla heavily underlies the roast. Maybe a hint of smoke, and I get a bit of cherries as well.
T&M- Thick and inky. The mouth feel on this is huge. Very big bodied. Big roasty malts, backed by strong oak and vanilla. Finishes with just a touch of hops. An incredibly smooth brew, far better than the standard yeti, though I think I still prefer the Espresso.
D- Drinkablility is remarkable for a beer that is 9.5 ABV and an advertised 75 IBU's. (845 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Oak aged yeti
Appearance: Lightly carbonated, shiny mahogany brew so dark it looks opaque. A 1cm head. Poured into a snifter.

Smell: Sweet like roasted or dried fruit, touch of coffee, a touch of charred wood .

Taste: Fairly tart and bitter, not nearly as sweet as I expected (which is a very good thing) definite notes of the oak.

Mouthfeel: A light touch of carbonation, heavy but overly so; I would call it medium-heavy.

Drinkability: As I drank the beer, the bitter notes drifted to the background yielding a moderately sweet roasted coffee taste. This is the best imperial stout I have had to date.

I had been storing up this beer in my "beer cabinet (the corner of my front closet) for a month or two waiting for the right time to try it. I put it in the fridge a few hours before I opened it, so the first glass of it was perhaps a touch too cold, but the second was about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the third imperial stout I have tried, and it is by far my favorite, as this style I have enjoyed significantly less then others I have tried. I should also mention that my favorite beer buddy (my rat Mol) enjoyed this beer immensely. (1,161 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

The oaked stout pours a like motor oil, thick and dark. Left about a 1/2 finger head that carried with it good staying power. Picked up deep earth notes, coffee, chocolate in the aroma. Taste was exceptional! My friend has some dark chocolate which paired with this beer was ever so pleasant. This Yeti was "almost" like heaven in my mouth. So smooth and easy, which definitely helps out it's drinkability. A great, great beer for sipping and taking it easy. (458 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Split with hu5om and newk340.

A: Beautiful dark brown, almost black. Gorgeous tan foam - almost rust-colored.

S: Chocolate, cocoa, whipped cream/icecream with a hint of grape and aged fruit.

T: Bitter chocolate, cocoa, with a smoky flavor. Also kind of tasted like steak on the grill - could be the smokiness/charcoalness.

M: Hits you hard in the beginning but it was enjoyable. Also, noticable spice/bite with swallow.

D: Delish! Flavor came mostly post-swallow with me, especially with the exhale, and the aftertaste was delightful. (539 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice looking beer. almost black. one finger of head.
S: Has a nice roasted malt smell, coupled with chocolate, wood and maybe a bit of coffee. And a hit of hoppiness.
T: Very nice. oak is not overpowering, but adds a nice dimension as compared to the regular Yeti.
M: My wish is that it was a little bit thicker, but my preference is motor-oil thickness in a stout. Still, heavy and fairly creamy.
D: A great beer for about two pints, but the alcohol and sweetness may get intense after that. (495 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout. (302 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow. This IS one of my new favorites. I'm not a stout drinker, but, I think I'm now a high APV stout drinker. Why would I ever have another Guinness? I doubt I'll find something else this good in a stout but, I'm certainly willing to try, but, I need them to be high in APV. It's hearty, not syrupy, rather chocolaty, just delicious overall. The alcohol is well hidden. It's truly exceptional overall. I will mirror jdubjacket's review about it, and I also first had it in Atlanta, mine on tap at the Brick Store Pub (A great place!). Do yourself a favor and get it. You'll have no regrets whatsoever! (601 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -29.5%

Split with my GF and poured into Duvel Tulip. Poured a nice khaki colored 3 finger head. Looks viscous and oily just like it should. Smells of Burnt malts and roasted coffee. Taste is where I lose it. Wayyy too boozy and hot. Chocolate and coffee is there just too far in the backround for me. Mouthfeel is thick and not my favorite RIS by any means. Drinkability is very low and one of these was enough. (404 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a deep black with large tan head that lasts for ages. The smell is strong with dark chocolate and lots of roasted malts. The mouthfeel is thick and almost needs to be chewed. The taste has lots of chocolate, coffee and just keeps on going and going. My only problem is it is so much that one is enough. but boy what a beer. (329 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

WOW!!! This is like the milkshake of stouts.

Into a snifter it pours a deep black, with a beautiful milk chocolate brown head.

The smell is mostly of chocolate, with just the slightlest hint of coffee. This is the best smelling beer I've bought.

This stout tastes like a bittersweet, dark chocolate milkshake. THICK, THICK, THICK, best stout I've had.

The mouthfeel is pure bliss. You get that extra kick from the 9% abr, but don't worry it's not harsh. Smooth as can be, and carbonation is very pleasing on the tongue.

This is a sipping beer let me tell you. No way would you want to go through this beer fast. This is the best RIS I've tried so far. I still don't understand why Victory's Storm King Imperial Stout rated higher than this? Storm King's RIS tasted like Samuel Smith's RIS, but harsher. (823 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass. Poured from a bomber

A: A very dark black. Not seeing through this guy

S: very nice. Im getting that roasted malt, sorta coffee smells

T: Very nice. Roasted malt, a little coffee. Very nice taste

M/D: i feel i could a few of these and would be ready for something else.

When choosing between regular yeti and oak aged, i think id just go with regular. We'll see if i feel the same after the chocolte yeti haha (445 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours an absolutely beautiful black body with a huge mocha colored head that lasts and lasts with prominent lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and oak among other things. All of the above can be detected in the taste as well as maybe an ever-so-slight hint of cherries, irish creme, and some vanilla as described on the label. Very hoppy, and I like that. It's unlike any other imperial stout I've had and I think that's awesome. If I didn't want something different and unique, I would have gotten a beer that I've had before and knew what to expect. This is a great suprise with a hop explosion which IMO doesn't block out the other wonderful flavors.

I highly recommend this beer as a great treat for the palate. A truly unique version of this style. All in all an incredible tasting beer, it's now one of my favorites and I will certianly visit this again. A must try. (914 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at Sunset Grill and Tap (13oz tulip)

Very good but overrated. The oak flavor manifests itself in the form of both genuine, slightly sour, pervasive oakiness, but there's a slight chemical tinge most apparent in the nose that's probably from the beer being aged with oak chips and not in actual oak barrels. This beer, though, develops the molasses/prune area of the RIS flavor profile better than most. Obviously very malty. Very smooth. A beer that shouts "Important Beer" -- almost as good as it thinks it is. (519 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

22 oz bomber into pint glass.

A: Dark as midnight with a solid inch-high golden brown head.

S: Holy cow. Roasted coffee, some fruit smell (cherries? raspberries?).

T: Delicious. That mocha/coffee undertone with complex malty flavors, the sweetness from beginning to end, adds up to a solid imperial stout.

MF: Substantial, bread just out of the oven chewiness.

D: I took it slow, but I could have kept drinking it. Would like to try a good meal pairing. It's substantial enough to stand alone of course, but it seems like the flavors would complement an aged steak very well.

A wonderful beer for wintertime (or anytime). (627 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Overall very good, but I don't like it as much as many of my friends do. Lots of roasty toasty flavor, but a bit bitter on the finish. There's also some heat from the high(ish) ABV. The Yeti doesn't hide the 9.5%. A pretty aggressive stout, I just wish it had a bit more of a malty undertone for balance. (304 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Served from 32 oz. growler from Whole Foods Bowery Beer Room into snifter.

Pours pitch black as expected -- no light gets through. Beautiful head that hung around much longer than expected. Eventually settled into a nice khaki ring, but very nice retention for the style.

Definitely pick up a good amount of dark coffee in the nose -- also got a whiff of malt and vanilla.

Excellent bite of coffee and some chocolate. Alcohol is hidden, but this bad boy still has some bite to it. Not exactly your perfectly refined beer, but its aggressive and I could sip this thing all night. The barrel aging definitely has an effect and it works out very nicely.

Nice viscous mouthfeel and very smooth. Not exactly high on drinkability as it is more of a sipper, but still... excellent take on a big American Imperial Stout and I would recommend. (839 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Very close to black and dense. Creamy, dark, thick head that lasts longer than most.

S - Malts, coffee, and some wood possibly oak (I don't know my trees that well)

T - Malts, unsweetened chocolate with a great balance.

Very good beer but it's filling. Couldn't have many of these. (288 characters)

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company