Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 08-09-2004

Imperial stout aged on new French and American oak chips.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,620 | Hads: 4,345
4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - Pours and looks like used motor oil. Thick, black with a dark caramel colored head. Head disperses quickly and just leaves a caramel colored ring around the glass.
S - Smell is sweet with some hints of coffee, chocolate and estery alcohols.
T - Taste is bitter sweet. Roasted malt is very apparent, but there's enough coffee and dark chocolate bitterness to cut through. I didn't get much vanilla from the oak, but I'd have to line this up side-by-side with the regular Yeti to know the difference.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy. What you'd expect from a big stout.
D - Great to drink, but heavy and highly alcoholic which would limit most people to only one or two in a sitting. But nothing about the taste that would make you want to stop.

Really enjoyed this beer, but I'd have to say the regular Yeti on tap was better than this in a bottle. If I can find it on tap I'd love to give it another try. I'd also like to try it side by side with the regular Yeti so I can better appreciate the oak aging.

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I poured it from the bottle into a clear glass Stiegl stein, and let it sit for about 15 min.

It poured beautiful black with a brownish head.

The hops hit my taste buds first and the woodsy oak flavor followed. More of a woody taste than I prefer, but still a thick, full bodied very drinkable stout.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with a friend. Deep dark brown in color with a nice tan thick head. Aroma of dark chocolate and very roasty like coffee. Very roasty. Big malty aroma. Big palate. Palate is smooth. Rich flavors. Full bodied beer. Excellent enjoyable beer.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from a 22oz bottle a thick, inky black that is opaque even when held up to bright light. After a vigorous pour, the light brown head swelled and held at around an inch and a half and left rings of lacing as I drank. The head was darker than many beers are themselves and at least some of the dense, rich cap stayed for the whole session. Smell is of dark chocolate and vanilla and not very strong. The taste is a nice balance of roasted dark malt bitterness and woody, vanilla notes. Slight hop profile in the finish. Subtly smoky oak flavor masks the alcohol nicely. The body is full and chewy with a pleasant creaminess. This is delicious beer from Great Divide and I was very happy when my local Whole Foods started carrying it. I've picked it up several times and will continue to do so.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured opaque black with small brown head.

Smelled like coffee and roasted malts. Could also make out a some caramel and something that reminded me of whiskey. I assume this was from the oak aging.

Strong roasted malts flavors dominated. With a bit of vanilla and coffee. Excellent layering of flavors. Very complex and luxurious.

Felt very smooth, with very little carbonation.

This beer has excellent flavor and smoothness, but it is also very filling. It is one I will definitely get again, but I would not be able to drink large amounts at a time. This beer was a graduation present from my a friend, who I then shared it with, of course. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a friend like that. Thanks Bobby!

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Imperial stout isn't usually the first beer I reach for at the liquor store. Even in the dead of winter I find them a little too heavy to really enjoy. And I don't necessarily think they're always more "complex". In my opinion yeast provides the most nuance and complexity in good beer and good luck identifying the yeast in a 75 IBU imperial stout. (A quick review of the Beeradvocate Top 100 proves I'm firmly in the minority on this opinion.) Still, I can appreciate a good imperial stout and Oak Aged Yeti is a worthy contender. This beer pours like motor oil with a rich espresso-like head that doesn't dissipate. It tastes (and feels) like you're drinking a dark chocolate brownie. It actually has pretty good balance despite the pugilistic flavor profile. It's definitely big and you do get some good oak. I wasn't that hungry tonight so this Yeti is my meal and I have to say I'm enjoying my meal.

Recommended music pairing - Black Keys - Brother

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

A- pours a deep opaque black, and a thick tan head that stays on the beer for a long time
S- sort of weak on the nose, a little oak and a little toasted malts
T- lots of toasted oats and malts, a small bit of dark chocolate and coffee, with a little touch of alcohol, the oak comes through on the aftertaste, i just want more of the flavors
M- could be a lot thicker for an oak aged stout, but its not bad, slightly creamy, lingers on the pallet for some time
D- pretty drinkable, but the alcohol shows itself just a little too much, it could use 6 months to a year in the cellar

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- pitch black body with creamy brown heady and minimal lacing
S - oak and chocolate, aroma not as strong as I was expecting
T - huge oak flavor initially with bitter sweet chocolate and coffee. Strong coffee flavor lingers
M - moderate
O - great stout with huge flavors

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

I love Great Divide.

These guys are my Southern Tier Brewing equivolent of the West/Mid-West.

Oak Aged Yeti is truly a beast. This stout has enormous flavor and packs a punch. The 9.5%abv is remarkable.

If you like stouts this has to be on your list of gotta-try-it.

I wish they sold this by the keg where I live.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Oak Yeti is midnight black in color with a bronze/brown head; lacing is significant. Dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the smell, becoming more pronounced as the stout warms. The roasted and chocolate influences carry over to the taste, with a hint of vanilla. (I haven't tried regular Yeti so can't compare.) Citrus-tasting hops kick in and continue to the end, lingering in the after-taste. I sipped Oak Yeti while watching a movie at home.

Did I enjoy it? - of course, it's bold and powerful. For me, the hops are slightly too prominent compared to the roasted malt components. For a hoppy stout, I prefer something like Bear Republic Big Black Bear where the hops are evident but more in balance. I'll certainly drink Oak Yeti again though and also try the non-oak version.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

This was a gift from my in-laws. Boy what a gift!
Dark as I've ever seen with a dark chocolate, thick head that was creamy and cool.
Smelled of some resiny hops, thick cocoa and some coffee. Almost a vanilla chocolate ice cream smell. Nice vanilla from the oak, but warns of it's impending 75 IBUS.
Took a sip and it was much smoother than expected. Rich chocolate and coffee on the palate, the almost barleywine alcohol in the front and a lingering hop bitterness and roasted astringency in the back. The bitterness stuck around a little longer than I thought necessary, but not too unpleasant.
Mouthfeel was great, very creamy and smooth, and thick. Coated the palate a bit like oil.
I did end up drinking the entire bomber by myself over a period of a couple hours, but it wasn't terribly drinkable. Of course, this style shouldn't be a session beer, but I think it could have had a little more in the drinkability department.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A: As dark as could be, makes for a wonderfully fearful pour.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, wood, are a plethora of others coming out. As I poured, more care to the senses.

T: Well to call this an additive based beer is crap. This is full of flavor, from wood, cocoa, to the hint of slight fruit and vanilla.

M: Very smooth, but with a slight bite. It was not overpowering, but rather a delightful sensation.

O: One of my favorites, not one to be missed.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Dark, brownish bubbles, not much lacing.

S: Glorious. Sweet chocolaty and woody coffee.

T: Amazing. Oak and chocolate notes, with coffee and a little brown sugar.

M: Very well balanced for such a strong brew.

O: One of my favorite Imperial Stouts...ever...always. (See other Yeti brews...especially the elusive Oatmeal Yeti).

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

bottle poured into snifter

bottle aged over 2 years before trying.

A-dark brown color with a smallish tan head that disappears

S-coffee, chocolate, whiskey which is ultimately the OAK

T-dark chocolate, coffee, earthy, molasses, oak, alcohol tasting

F-medium to full body with moderate carbonation, dry finish

O-good stout, really strong oak/alcohol taste but good

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this one last week. Very good. I'd definitely buy again.

Appearance: Thick, dark, with a beautiful brown head. Nothing looks better on beer that a head of dark brown bubbles. Otherwise the beer is dark and clean.

Smell: Deep and malty. I might even say rusty, but in a good way. The oak isn't really coming through in the smell.

Taste: Again, deep and roasty with a little bit of hop. It took awhile for the oak taste to come out, although it was more noticeable once the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. You can tell you're really drinking something. The thickness meant that the carbonation was present throughout which gave the beer a subtle foaminess that I liked.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt one of the most drinkable stouts I've ever tried. I went through it much faster than I anticipated. This could be a session beer on a cold night.

3.86/5  rDev -9%

L: Pours absolutely tar black. Thick, red-brown head that tastes creamy and resembles the foam atop a French press of coffee.

S: Hops! How weird for a stout to smell so much like an IPA. The intense hop presence appears to be from the original, pre-aged Yeti.

T: A hoppy taste as well! Oak is present, for sure as is the fruity bite of an IPA. This sounds bad, but it tastes like a yeti - dark, rich, robust, and bitter.

F: Chews like fluffy clouds with mass. Rounded edges.

O: It's a stout with attitude for sure. Your mouth feels like it does after drinking an IPA. A little tacky, but delicious. It's a very, very unique stout that takes the ale aspect to 11.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. split with jramey2. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours black, black, black, with about a 3-finger (!) head of brown (not tan, like most stouts I've had, brown).

S: Smells like roasted malts and hops. Smell is quite pleasant but not real strong.

T: Taste is of malts, hops, and oak. Hoppier than most RIS's I've tasted, which to me is a good thing. Touch of chocolate and coffee as well.

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, carbonation is good.

D: Could drink this all night if it wasn't 9.5%.

An excellent stout, and one of Great Divide's better offerings.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Apperance: Black, with a minimal light brown head, in a chimay goblet

Smell: chocolately roasty smells, alcohol, sweet cherry like aroma

Taste: Chocolate covered cherries, a dash of hops in the middle, and a finish of roasted coffee. also hints of vanilla. upon first taste i immediately let out a "Oh man this is really good." which doesn't seem to happent that often. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel: silky, smooth, rich. this beer is like a fine chocolate.

Drinkability: very drinkable for a RIS. the alcohol is very well hidden (unlike the avery czar).

an expertly crafted brew. these guys at great divide know their beer!

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Poured extremely dark with a thinish tan head. Nose was musty, a little spicy, and alcohol, not extremely pleasant. Taste was big and malty, a little roasty, alcohol, and plumbs. Mouthfeel has moderately low carbonation, pretty decent.

Definitely not a favorite, but not bad.

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

First of all i'm glad I followed my intuition to pick this one up, balanced out of this world, with everything going on. Better than stone russian, even with the higher abv it's better than Samuel Smith Imperial stout. I digress, let me calm down.

the 22oz bomber had a label date bottled on 1/6/2010 that great, mainly since they use more hops than other imperial stouts, that might be the trick there.

the appearance had a chocolate head, dark body, nice and thick.

the smell was of chocolate,

the taste was so balanced i felt the alcohol more than i tasted it.

the mouthfeel was creamy and delicious it was so fresh.

the drinkability is good as long as you drink responsibly

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought this 22 oz. at Spec's in South Austin. Appearance was black with a huge clingy head. It smells sweet and strong. The first thing I noticed was the malty sweetness and alcoholic burn. There is a nice toastiness and hoppiness in the aftertaste. Hints of vanilla, burnt toast, as well as some bitter metallic and piney tastes. This beer feels thick and bubbly in your mouth and remains on your taste buds for quite some time.

This is a more well rounded Imperial Stout than others I have tried. Between Yeti and Old Rasputin I think my needs are met. Not a style I drink often, but this beer is enjoyable, complex, and potent at 9.5 ABV. Definately something to try once, and, if your into Imperial Stouts, enjoy often!

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

dark black with a huge tan head.

smells like coffee, wood, chocolate, hops.

tastes as smells, creamy and thick!

goes down smooth. nice hoppiness. awesome RIS.

very good drinkability for an impy stout. awesome brew! definitely in the upper echelon of stouts that I have tried.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber bottled in October 7, 2011 poured into a Riedel beer glass.

A: pours black as night with a finger width Carmel colored head. Bubbles small fade slowly to leave a nice lacing on the glass.

S: warm nose, slight coffee hint.

T: wow a light/perfect touch of vanilla that fades to a slight sweet finish. Carmel and coffee hint to tongue for sure. Very well balanced.

M: light mouthfeel, not cloying in any regards. Very drinkable.

Poured into a New Belgium Globe (Sorry GD, the tulip is dirty)
A- Pours a thick inky black. No light can pierce this wonderful bastard. Topped with a nice, dark, creamy head. Dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving a nice layer and a lot of lacing. Head kind of reminds me of a cherry stout (hmmmm, cherry yeti, awesome idea, if I do say so myself.)
S- Another home run. BIG roasted malt notes here. Vanilla heavily underlies the roast. Maybe a hint of smoke, and I get a bit of cherries as well.
T&M- Thick and inky. The mouth feel on this is huge. Very big bodied. Big roasty malts, backed by strong oak and vanilla. Finishes with just a touch of hops. An incredibly smooth brew, far better than the standard yeti, though I think I still prefer the Espresso.
D- Drinkablility is remarkable for a beer that is 9.5 ABV and an advertised 75 IBU's.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Oak aged yeti
Appearance: Lightly carbonated, shiny mahogany brew so dark it looks opaque. A 1cm head. Poured into a snifter.

Smell: Sweet like roasted or dried fruit, touch of coffee, a touch of charred wood .

Taste: Fairly tart and bitter, not nearly as sweet as I expected (which is a very good thing) definite notes of the oak.

Mouthfeel: A light touch of carbonation, heavy but overly so; I would call it medium-heavy.

Drinkability: As I drank the beer, the bitter notes drifted to the background yielding a moderately sweet roasted coffee taste. This is the best imperial stout I have had to date.

I had been storing up this beer in my "beer cabinet (the corner of my front closet) for a month or two waiting for the right time to try it. I put it in the fridge a few hours before I opened it, so the first glass of it was perhaps a touch too cold, but the second was about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the third imperial stout I have tried, and it is by far my favorite, as this style I have enjoyed significantly less then others I have tried. I should also mention that my favorite beer buddy (my rat Mol) enjoyed this beer immensely.

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company