Old Ruffian Barley Wine - Great Divide Brewing Company

Old Ruffian Barley WineOld Ruffian Barley Wine

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

Old Ruffian is a hefty, hop-forward Barley Wine. Seemingly mellow at the start with subtle fruit aromas and complex caramel sweetness, it quickly becomes aggressive with its bold hop flavors and huge hop bitterness. Ultimately, the big body, succulent sweetness and massive hop character come together to work wonders on your palate.

(Beer added by: gbontrag on 11-28-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Ruffian Barley Wine Alström Bros
basickness

bullywee

02-16-2012 11:33:48 | More by bullywee
Cameroon

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

I am a relative newbie to Barley wine and this is the first hop intensive barley wine I've tried. I am not a fan of heavily hopped beers. It strikes me that hop fans are like the folks that like hot peppers. Somehow, somebody has equated hops and hot peppers with balls. Hops lend a very valuable adjunct to beer, but are not more or less than a particular spice is to a Belgium brew. 70% of this brew is balanced sweet, with fruit tones. The heavy dose of hops is far too powerful and distracts from the barley wine nature. It may be perfect for some but to me it is an undeserved bow to the unorthodox, West Coast fad of single, double, triple and God forbid quadriple hopheads. Think of hops as a spice that is to be used to create highlights in taste. For those who truly love overdoses of hops, I say "God Bless". Hopping up an intrinsic sweet beer steals the very nature of the beer in my opnion.This beer is definately deserving of a try and honest appraisal, but this boy sees much more potential if the hops were muted. Sadly, in my opinion, when it comes to barley wine, hops should be a subtle reverberation, not a sledge hammer. Under this department store suit, there lies a handsome wardrobe.

02-18-2007 01:39:35 | More by Cameroon
heygeebee

Australia

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

Bottled on [illegible] 2010

Pours a wonderful hazy deep gold/copper. One finger head stays. Good lace.

Aromas of hops, toffee, malts.

Taste is a let down. One dimensional and thin, hop driven with little malt to support. Alcohol burn. Astringent. Bitter. Skunked.

Mouthfeel good, medium to full bodied, low carbonation.

Overall, not a good example. Given 2010 bottling, even more of a let down.

06-02-2012 10:46:10 | More by heygeebee
chriswilkes33

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

Had a pour of '08 ruffian in a snifter

Appearance: pours a dark amber with a thin quickly dissipating white head
Aroma: biting alcohol and caramel/toffee one would expect from a monster barleywine
Taste: toffee, sweet (a little too sweet) and alcohol up front. Harsh swallow with lingering warmth
Mouthfeel: thick but not terribly

Overall: good slow drinking beer, nothing super exciting taking place in this beer.

02-23-2011 23:27:07 | More by chriswilkes33
1whiskey

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. Pours out a cloudy reddish-amber with a thick apricot colored head.

Aroma is a mix of sweet fruit and floral combination, caramel, grapefruit, and brown sugar. Oddly enough, I also smell tea (fuggles?).

Taste is...sweet. Really, really, sugary, syrupy sweet. If ever the phrase "malt bomb" applied to a beer, this is it. More fruit & floral notes are present, and again the tea-like bitterness it struggling to be found amongst all the sugar. Alcohol is clearly evident. In some respects, this reminds me of booze-soaked fruitcake.

Mouthfeel is syrupy thick, with some creamy carbonation present. Drinkabilty? I'm in no hurry to have a second one. I may not be able to finish the bottle. Way too much sugar for me. Those with a sweet tooth may love this, though.

02-11-2007 08:47:15 | More by 1whiskey
expatsteve

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

Split a bomber with Golden2wenty1 during a barleywine session.

Appearance: Copper/orange amber, pours a 1/2 inch head. Lingers with heavy suds over. Low/medium viscosity, and low/medium visibility.

Aroma: Big burst of grapefruit, banana and hints of toffee. Not much development, but impressive nonetheless.

Taste: Banana burst initially, but this is quickly replaced by overwhelming pine resin across the entire palate. I can't help feeling that this renders the beer one-dimensional, and that it flattens out most of the malt development (honey and orange notes can never compete with the hops). The alcohol is particularly well-hidden.

Mouthfeel: The hops overpower the low carbonation, and leave this dry and unbalanced.

Drinkability: While this is no doubt a winner with hopheads, I reacted to this beer the way my cats react to having medicine pushed down their throat. When compared to masterfully hopped American barleywines like Old Crustacean, or even more balanced efforts like Bigfoot, this beer seems excessively one-dimensional (I acknowledge that this was probably their aim, and gave this a 3 for taste rather than a lower mark - I adjusted drinkability to reflect my assessment of this beer against the style). Nearly no malt or fruit developments in this one, and the heady and thick quality of other barleywines is altogether lacking. One for the hopheads, though more like a double IPA than a barleywine.

07-22-2006 03:01:57 | More by expatsteve
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy, deep amber color with a decent amount of lingering head.

S: Aroma is potent with flaky pastry, plum, yeast, sour peaches, and feet. I was a little confused by the feet smell, but I think it must have come from the foil around the bottle rim. I hope so anyway.

T/M: Taste is immediately vibrant: caramel quickly giving way to dark fruits, floral hops and a tangy bitterness in the finish. There’s a lingering warm booziness after a bit, a little offputting. The texture is very thick, almost chewy.

The flavors contrast pretty vehemently, but everything is very good, with the exception of the strong alcohol aftertaste. It really would have been nice had they been able to mask that more, but I like it. This barley wine’s for you, Springfield.

06-16-2011 02:57:02 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
cproioi

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

Alright this is the first time I've ever had a Barley Wine so here we go. From a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice reddish-brown color with a little haze in it. Poured a two finger head that was tan in color and disipated at a moderate rate.

S: First smell is extremely hoppy. Also with a backing of sweetness sneaks up.

T: nice bitter start but with a caramel sweetness that follows very quickly. I would prefer to have the bitterness stay around a little longer.

M: Very syrupy and very sugary.

D: I don't find this to be an easy thing to drink. Not that it's bad or anything it's just not really appealing to my taste so we shall see what happens with this bottle and what other barley wines I buy next.

04-22-2006 03:17:19 | More by cproioi
Jimmys

3.11/5  rDev -26.3%

bomber into tulip. bottled on: DEC 20 2012.

A: a very hazy deep ruby hued brew. head is frothy and slightly off-white. great retention and boatloads of lacing.

S: a good deal of oxidation hits me right off the bat. a little challenging for me to work around. halfway through the bottle im starting to work through the oxidation and get some caramel, malty aroma. sweet caramel apples.

T: similar to the nose, a lot of oxidation on this thing. bitterness is there, but there is enough sweetness to keep it in check and from being overwhelming. a little bit of booze, but pretty calm, which is what I would expect after almost a year of being in bottle. I don't know if I would say there is much hop flavor left in this thing. definitely some caramel graininess. lingers as well.

M: really creamy, smooth mouthfeel. I am enjoying the carb being so mellow on this big of a beer.

D: I bought this at my local Wegman's and figured it was pretty fresh when I saw them on the shelf. after I got home is when I realized how old it actually was. I thought to myself, "hey maybe I get a aged gem, some of these reviews seem to incline that way!" im afraid I was dead wrong as oxidation has really taken this down a notch for me. as oxidation can work with most barleywine's, this particular one just has too many hops (as most American's do) to come back from. however, I would love to try this fresh.

If you are only going to read one line of this review, buy and drink fresh. DO NOT AGE.

11-01-2013 02:44:21 | More by Jimmys
njmoons

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Excellent base, hopping overwhelmed the beer for my taste

A: Deep dark red. Looked good

S: Sweet and heavy fruits plum cherry. Malty and hoppy

T: The initial taste was very complex sweet fruits and malty. Hop bitterness and citrus hop flavors take over quickly and overwhelm the complexity and flavor of the beer. Beer finishes clean and crisp for a big beer. I think of would be a great beer, if a bit more balanced.

M: Thick and heavy, but not cloying. Nice

D: The citrus hop character reduces the drinkability.

01-23-2011 08:09:40 | More by njmoons
david18

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

A good barleywine but not the best. Great Divide is usually very aggressive with hops but not with this. American Barleywine is distinguished by its bitterness combine with malty strength and, although this has the latter it certainly lacks in the former. It's worth trying but Great Divide makes a number of better ales including its Hercules and Hybernation Ales.

06-20-2009 21:16:50 | More by david18
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

22 oz bottle

A: Poured a hazy reddish brown with a 3/4 in light tan head that stayed awhile. Heavy lacing all over the glass.

S: Light aroma of sweet caramel and grapefruity hops.

T: Sweet for just a sec than bitter hops come through. Pretty good balance considering how hoppy this is (not that I'm complaining about the hoppiness). Unfortunately, the alcohol taste is so overwhelming it diminishes everything I like about it. I know this style calls for a high abv, but in this case it interferes too much with an otherwise good flavor.

M: Creamy mouthfeel - thick with light carbonation - halfway between beer and motor oil. Finishes with a nasty alcohol burn. Maybe I should have poured it into a shot glass.

D: Considering the reputation, I almost feel apologetic for not loving this - but while there's lots to like, the alcohol taste is too much to let me get through more than 1. It's a sipper only - and the first of Great Divide's big beers I don't love.

07-27-2007 22:20:08 | More by OKCNittany