Saint Bridget's Porter - Great Divide Brewing Company

Saint Bridget's PorterSaint Bridget's Porter

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saint Bridget's Porter Alström Bros

12 oz. bottle

A: 2 fingers of head the carbonation rises immediately; dark brown in color.

S: Smells malty with chocolate notes - not strong and almost watery.

T: Char coffee taste - slight bitterness, but too weak and watery. Roasted maltiness present.

M/D: Solid mouthfeel and drinkability

Subpar porter, not enough flavor.

jt31914, Oct 09, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

My first beer from Great Divide creates little enthusiasm. I'm sure the rest of their line is better. This porter pours a deep, cola brown. A thin head of light brown foam quickly fizzles out. Leaving a faint ring and absolutely no lace.

The aroma is predominantly coffee with some cocoa and brown sugar. There's an underlying earthiness to it that just does not belong here.

Flavor is bittersweet cocoa, stale coffee, and nondescript hop bitterness. The earthy aroma translates into what simply tastes like dirt, actual dirt. There's some maltyness to it, but overall there is very little balance displayed.

Body is thin, bordering on watery. Carbonation is big bubbles that makes it hard to swallow. Overall, a rather unpleasant porter. There is not one thing that I like about it.

AlexJ, Mar 27, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -44%

Well, another semi-disappointing porter has crossed my path. The appearance is a little weak and kinda waterish. What I mean by that is it's fairly see through and not very creamy looking. The smell is all coffee and not enough chocolate. The taste is okay but smells like it tastes. ALL COFFEE. The mouthfeel is weak and thin with little complexity.

Overall, I wouldnt get this again. It goes on my list of okay porters. If you have to settle between a coor light and a GDSB go for the Coors IMHO.

iconoklaztor, Dec 06, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -42.1%

Pours out a nice 1/2 inch thick head that falls thin with a nice sticky lacing.

Smell is strong of coffee, but a little weak and not very deep.

Taste is a little watery, with a cheap cigar bitterness in the aftertaste. Coffee flavor is barely apparent.

The mouthfeel is watery and unimpressive.

I don't think I'll have this again...unless I go to the brewery.

Erdinger2003, Apr 27, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -40.5%

Tastes like an unpolished or amateur version of Deschutes Obsidian Stout. This has a very simple taste for a Porter-- well crappy I thought. Strong, yet watery and then unnaturally carbonated tasting. Nothing gelled at all, they just don't know how to make a Porter.
For the $9 a six pack price, a HUGE dissapointment.

vuucuuv, Jun 06, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -40.5%

On-tap at the GD tap room 3/19/09

A: Dark brown with ruby hues. Frothy head with good lacing.

S: Strangely fruity with light chocolate notes. A non-identifiable, unpleasant odor.

T: Vegetal (!) hops combined with your typical choco-coffee porter flavors.... ewww. Burnt aftertaste.

M: Medium-bodied with light carbonation. Smooth and silky.

D: Taste is odd and quite inappropriate for the style. A few sips and I was done.

klewis, Mar 20, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -38.7%

A thin, tan head topped off the black liquid with hints of ruby. The nose of chocolate and coffee was marred by sour notes. The taste was very sour and old or infected.

(Note to self: Review this fresh off the shelf and edit this review. This one was bottled in April and sent through a beer of the month club and not tasted for review until November.)

TPoling, Jan 03, 2004
2.42/5  rDev -35.5%

Standard brown bottle with marking to notch for date, but no notches. No abv listed either. Looking at the picture, I may have an older bottle. It has a red head doing a cutie pie pose.
Aroma: Toasted grains and a good whiff of hops, perhaps a bit much for style. Some of the “dusty” porter smell in the background
Appearance: Only very bright light shows some clarity from the black mug. Collar and trace cover of tan multi sized bubbles that left some short lived lace.
Flavor: All porter in the mouth, but a bit papery. I may have an older bottle, but, how am I to know? Ok, I’m a date Nazi. All in all a very balanced taste, neither hop nor malt step forward. Without the papery taste this would be pretty good.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, a bit thin for style, a bit too fizzy, short lived coat.
Overall Impression: A decent porter, but not the shining star of Great Divide. There are many other, better porters out there.

HardTarget, Apr 06, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

Brewed with Northwest 2-row, Dark Caramel, Chocolate, and Black malts. Hopped with Northern Brewer and Hallertau.

Pours to a clear dark-brown, not quite black, forming a quickly receding tan head. Lacing is minimal, and the head remains as a thin layer of clumpy bubbles. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is quite odd...there is a strong odor of green unmalted barley husk, akin to some New Holland Brews, very blatant Kiwi fruit, mild green hops, and a very obvious note of canned fruit cocktail, like peach syrup. Also hints of coffee, sweet chocolate and vanilla. Medium-light body. Taste begins with an obtuse sharp roasted character...the fruit cocktail and kiwi nose makes you think that's what you're tasting, but you're not. The start immediately and abruptly ends in a very prominent metallic note, sparse roasted grains, and a semi-wet chalky finish. The finish is oddly sour, like someone soaked a tootsie-roll in tonic water with quinine. The kiwi and fruit cocktail aroma is something I haven't appreciated in a beer before, but it's definitely here. The bitterness is quite mild. Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a medium-light body.

I don't know what to think of this beer. It's very odd. Is this a new style?...Kiwi Porter? I dunno. Flimsy mouthfeel, pronounced metals and quirky oddities make it as attractive as http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com/

Mitchster, Apr 07, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a three inch head that has better then average head retention. Sticky lacing is left on the sides of my glass.

Has smells of caramel malts, prunes, chocolate and coffee.

Mild bitter coffee upfront taste with a hop bite. Very watery to my taste.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with good amounts of carbonation.

This is my first Porter and so far I did not like this one.

tr4nc3d, May 20, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

Paid $1.50 for a bottle. This stuff is kind of dark iron-colored water in appearance. Decent thick head. Smells of dark malt, coffee, maybe a bit of mold? Taste is not great, an easy bitterness, kind of rootish - like a bit of burnt twig. It's not sitting very well in the stomach, maybe a bad batch?

This is one to pass on.

benmiliron, Aug 08, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

A-Pours a nice dark, dark brown with a nice head.

S-Coffee is way up front here, with some malt & chocolate notes.

T-Coffee is up front here too, some chocolate and malts. But the flavors are just kind of--blah. Nothing outstanding here.

M-Very thin and light. Upon first glance you expect something a bit more substantial, but you won't find it here. Carb level is high too.

D-Can't see myself doing more than one of these. Its just not that good.

I love porters, but not this one.

Lerxst, May 25, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -29.9%

The pour was highly carbonated, with thick tan, lingering head. As expected, aroma and flavor were sweet malt, with hints of chocolate. Unfortuantely, the body was much too thin and watery to be considered a decent porter, and the finish was no more enduring than a glass of water.

kimcgolf, Jul 27, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a medium-dark brown with a tall light brown head with pretty good retention and some lacing.

S: Strong chocolate and caramel with a hoppy smell.

T: This is actually very odd, I would have sworn this was half porter and half bock. Very earthy flavor with sweet chocolate and caramel with a thin watery taste accompanied by too much hops. So confusing.

Overall: The mouthfeel was fine, well carbonated light body. I couldn't drink this entire beer, it was an easy pour for me.

AdmiralDiaz, Mar 05, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Dark cola brown. Modest off-white head, though wispy, and lacking any substantial lacing.

Smell: Not an overly fragrant brew. Only a mild bouquet of toasted grains, a soft aroma of dark chocolate with a very slight buttery hint of diacetyl.

Taste: Roastiness, chocolate, carob, and coffee flavors are all present, but all are fairly muted. It all just comes across as just a little flat and unimaginative to me. This beer leaves the taste buds yearning for more flavor, more depth.

Mouthfeel: Starts off uncomfortably watery; this aspect becomes more and more apparent as time goes on. Beyond a lingering astringency, there really isn't a finish to speak of. "Robust" is a complete overstatement.

"I am altering the beer. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Drinkability: Being rather light for the style, coupled with the 5.9% alcohol, this beer goes down easy. Although, while it is drinkable, I'll look elsewhere to fulfill my "robust" porter needs.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 13, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Pours a dark red/brown with no real head to speak of

S-Subtle the whole thing which caught me off guard from the "robust" on the bottle, malt, hops and a certian sweetness of malt, carmel maybe?

T&M-For the style this one really let me down and recently i've become a pretty big fan of proters this one was lost on me maybe had a slight chocolate/malt flavor but the big part was the bitterness maybe should have called it a stout rather than porter, carbonation level was way to high as well.

D-to many porters out there i dont see me getting this one again.

SpecialK088, Aug 04, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Great company but this aint no yeti! In fact, this stood up poorly in our recent Porter tasting. Not sure if I am getting a bad bottle but there is very little head, and very little lacing. It is a coca cola appearance with a little white hazy glaze. This brew seems to be plenty carbonated perhaps too much so. The nose is weak with some discernible alcohol, and mild malt. This was a bit more astringent than the others in the tasting but the taste didn't really work. Mouthfeel is quite thin and there is a bitter (not crisp) aftertaste that is mildy stale. Its light enough to drink but I wouldn't.

jstilwell, Feb 24, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

I loved the name. I loved the packaging. I loved the concept: Saint Bridget was legendary for turning bath water into beer for thirsty clerics. And Porter is my favorite style of beer.

Maybe I built up too high of expectations, but the beer wasn't that impressive. It looked good pouring into the pint glass. Blackish brown with a solid tan head.

But the smell was a bit sour. And the first taste was not immediately pleasing. It tastes slightly sour. There are hints of caramel and roasted malts but the aftertaste was not pleasurable.

According to the "bottled on" date, this beer was approximately 6 months old. And I know that the distributer likely had some challenges getting the beer from Colorado to Massachusetts. Maybe there were some issues prior to me consuming this six pack.

It's drinkable. I am on my third beer as I type this. But there are much better porters out there. I don't think I'll be buying this again.

JimFalzone, Feb 05, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

Durandal_777, May 08, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Bought a 12 ouncer for $1.58 from New Seasons Cedar Mill Crossing - they are now carrying six packs of this and the Titan IPA.

Appearance - Pleasing dark brown with amber around the edges, produced about a finger's worth of frothy light brown head that dissipated rather quickly. Lacing was minimal.

Smell - Instantly detected scent of roasted coffee beans with a hint of bitter dark chocolate. The aroma of a proper porter all the way 'round.

Taste - Like the smell, although the bitterness turned out to be far more dominant than the smell suggested. This was not as much a pleasant hop-like bitterness as it was a hard coffee-ground bitterness, and that didn't sit well with me. Not a bad tasting beer, but the smoothness of a great porter like Deschutes' Black Butte was missing. Tasted like a more bitter, rough-edged Deschutes Obsidian Stout (not in a good way).

Mouthfeel - Much thinner than expected. Good carbonation, but I think that since the taste roughly resembled Obsidian, I subconsciously expected a similar mouth-feel. Uh uh. Obsidian is smooth, lucscious and coats the inside of your mouth with its well-balanced, chewy bittersweetness; this stuff just washed over my tongue and rode out on a wave of untempered bitterness.

Drinkability - I didn't find this appealing enough to finish the bottle. Perhaps my standards are too high. I don't think this is a bad beer; I just expected better. Finished about 3/4 and poured out the rest.

Notes - I've had other Great Divide brews before, and for some reason they just never seem to do it for me...

dfitch81, Oct 18, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a clearish almost black color with intense ruby highlights. The head is light brown and lightly substantial when roused. The aroma as I pour this beer is mostly of buttery diacetyl and chocolate. As I go in for a deeper sniff, my worst fears are realized as it smells like a used and abused popcorn machine with it's fake buttery scents. There is a hint of chocolate and roast malt, but it is overwhelmingly drowned out by the diacetyl.

Dare I take a sip, I do. Up front it is lightly sweet, light bodied with a maltiness that, unfortunately melds into a finish that is dominated by the diacetyl (butter, and butterscotch). The diacetyl is not as evident in the taste as it is in the aroma, and in that sense this beer is not quite as bad as I was expecting. The dark malt notes are barely perceptible in the taste, there is really not any roast character, just a nice chocolate-like finish. Without the diacetyl, this seems to be a straight forward easy drinking porter that would be really nice to have a few pints of while at the bar, with it I am afraid this is not worth finishing.

Gueuzedude, Oct 01, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -24%

A - A dark brown with no head. None.

S - Some coffee and burnt malt over a lighter chocolate and molasses. A strong presence of metals (copper and aluminum).

T - A slightly sweet coffee and chocolate flavor overshadowed by the burnt malt. There is a bit of a metallic edge. The aftertaste consists of metals and a coffee bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, thin. A little refreshing.

D - It is okay. I wouldn't mind having this again. Easily sessionable and a nice dinner beer for sure.

mrasskicktastic, May 07, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

Pour is opaque black with hardly any head. Nose is mainly coffee with a light nut edge.

Flavour brings the coffee flavour out from the nose and pairs it with a mild roasted edge, and some astringent bitterness from the hops and a light chocolate aspect. Decent, but not remarkable in any way.

Mouthfeel, simply OK, it has some hop action, but it's not particularly special in this category. Drinkability is where it gets dinged a touch below average, because frankly, while the beer is easy enough to drink, I probably won't rebuy it...there are simply too many good beers out there to rebuy something which is so across the board average.

The bottom line: If you're dying for a porter, then this offering from Great Divide will fill the void, but I personally find it fairly dull for the style, and I doubt I will pick it up again.

CortexBomb, Feb 15, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

Jul 9, 2007

12oz. bottle

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma/Flavor: Aroma and flavor are a bit lacking...having a hard time really pinpointing anything other than roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Body is quite light and thin with a good amount of carbonation. Light and lively mouthfeel.

I personally prefer thicker and less carbonated beers. However, it's still pretty good overall and quite drinkable. I don't regret the purchase but I think I'd rather go with Anchor Porter for the same price.

elgiacomo, Jan 10, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

This poured a nice dark brown color, almost to the point of blackness. A nice rocky uneven tan head formed. This beer had sound too! Very fizzy. VERY good coffee and chocolate smells here. Smells an like iced coffee. The taste is allright(besdies the odd must), some roastiness in here but the thing that bothered me was the mouthfeel. I was kind of syrupy smooth but with the swallow it seemed quite watery. It really didn't go with the nice roasty hearty flavor set here. Tingles like a coca-cola though. Not bad but on the lower end of the porters i have had. Fairly drinkable.

kbnooshay, Jan 15, 2006