Fresh Hop Pale Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-07-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Hop Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date best by Dec 30, 2013
Pours a super clean orange with thin white head

Aroma- big grassy hop resin, musty mango, citrus rind, flower pedal

Taste- juicy and resinous: juicy grapefruit and orange with subtle tropical fruit, earthy wet hop resin surfaces in the middle with sweet bready malt, finishes quite dank and sticky with piney/oily hop resin and traces of citrus

Feel- big for a pale ale, sticky, resinous, balanced

Well I am so pleasantly surprised by this. I was quite disappointed with last year's release (in fact, I kept coming across a similar very astringent grassy note in many of their beers that threw me off, not the case here). This is a great wet-hopped beer with all the right resiny, oily hoppy goodness. Well done Great Divide

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a translucent, totally filtered light golden amber that produced a very froathy head which fleeted to a tremendously nice consistent lacey layer. Smells are of slight hop, freshness, slight undiscernable citrus and minimal malt. The smells are not very robust. The taste follow suits with a tad of hoppy bitter awesomeness. It has hints of earthiness to it. The tastes fade quickly leaving a dry bitter bite. A decent beer but it was lacking something. The bottle notes 'Grassy' and 'Citrusy' characteristics with 'Grassy' being triumphant. It did lack a bit of hoppiness that I look for in a good PA. A bit pricey at $6.99 I feel. It's worth noting that the bottling date is in early Sept. A few reviews I briefly overviewed mentioned October or later. Hoppy beers are better the fresher they are, in my limited opinion. Nonetheless, I'm glad I tried it.

Enjoy!

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I have been waiting for this all year and was stopped in my tracks when I spotted it.

This beer pours a bright orange-amber hue with a decent one finger thick head. Moderate carbonation as well. It laces nicely as you progress.

Smell is phenomenal. If you love hops, this is a beer you must try. Pine, grass, grapefruit, it has it all. A great bouquet.

Taste is equally good and mirrors the aroma. In addition, to the hops, there is a nice malty sweetness to this beer. It finishes with a moderate bitterness to let you know what is in charge here.

Mouthfeel is great. Very balanced. Not heavy or thin. It's just right.

This beer is one of the most drinkable I have ever had. Another great beer from Great Divide. I have yet to find a notable flaw in any of their beers.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle poured into Pint Glass
A: Copper brown. Half inch head retained. Beautiful sticky lacing left in splotches around the glass. Nice CO2 trails from bottom of glass.
S: Very sweet start followed by Piney citrus filled hops.
T: Not nearly as sweet as I was expecting by the smell. Piney hops creep in and dominate the flavor profile. Leaves a resiny aftertaste on tongue, a pleasant one that is.
M: Light on tongue, kind of more bare than I was hoping for.
D: Of the fresh hops I have enjoyed this season it is by far one of the most drinkable. The hops don't tear apart your palette, but dominate a large portion of the flavor profile.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Poured a copper, light gold, with a very small head that disappeared fairly quickly.

S - Very subtle on the noise, citrus hops, piney, fresh peeled oranges.. very very subtle.

T - Slight bitterness, pine, orange, extremely balanced. However, I feel this is missing something? But considering this is 55 IBUS it can be hoppy at times.

M - Nice carbonation, slight tingling sensation on the palate, silky, smooth, refreshing. Very nicely done with this part

O - This is a finely crafted beer that is superbly light on the palate. Very drinkable, it goes down very smooth, it covers the palate and very enjoyable.. My only complaint about this brew is I wish more of the hop, dank, sweetness and pine notes would have come through. I understand this brew is not meant to be the boldest IPA. Great divide went for balance and I must say they got very close to perfect. I just wish more smell was present. If you served this to me with any other IPA this would not stand out, until I tasted it. However, this is a very nice balanced IPA, probably the best I've had in the taste category. And is a variety break from the darker, heavier brews in the Autumn season. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into pint glass.

The beer is a beautiful orange clear, that has a nice crisp, clean look to it. From its appearance, the beer looks fairly tame, because of the clarity, with a massive amount of carbonation flowing to the top.

The beer poured a nice 1.5 finger head and the lace stayed on the sides of the glass. The nose of the beer is a sharp contrast the beers appearance. The aroma is citrusy with a strong dose of hops, more than many other pales ales that I have drank.

The beer shocked with a strong dose of hops. The refreshingly bitter taste is excellent. The beer is medium bodied, and has a complex flavoring to it. Very drinkable beer. Good for both summer/winter times. Outstanding product.

3.72/5  rDev -8.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Pretty looking beer. Great two finger rocky and fluffy head sits atop a clear light amber liquid. Really great lacing and perfect retention. I initially gave it a 4.5 but after more than half way through the beer with a thick layer of foam still sitting perfectly on top I had to give it a 5. It truly makes the beer more enjoyable having some foam in every gulp.

S- Grassy? Hell yeah its grassy, I've been hearing that about all these fresh hop beers which seem to be more popular this year than ever. This is the first beer where I could really identify it. It's really pungent, kinda burns the nostril or makes you want to sneeze. Great smelling beer!

T- Not overly bitter, but a really nice clean up front hop flavor. Real complexities show up in the hop flavor that other IPA and IIPA's lack, good balance of piney bitter hops, earthy, and sharp citrus falvors.

M- Good mouthfeel, I like the carbonation and medium bodied seems to go well with this style. Nothing really sticks out to me though.

D- Great drinkability. Not too high ABV no overwhelming or palate stomping flavors. Really good beer this is, I highly recommend it but I do really love fresh hop beers.

I am a fan of the fresh hop/wet hop experimentation brewers are experimenting with these days. There is a purity I detect with this approach, and while these beers sometimes lack the complexity of the more traditional hopping technique, I like the fact we get choices. The Fresh Hop Pale Ale has an orange-copper color when poured, and retains a friendly skim of head throughout my glass. Aromas are full of sweet pink grapefruit with some floral notes hiding in the back. I detect a bit of molasses sweetness on this one, too. Highly quaffable and refreshing with the expected bitterness. Does not totally dry the mouth, but I wouldn't want a pale ale to do that. Seems a bit maltier than the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere but only just.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Brought a 22 oz bomber back form Denver. Poured into two Great Divide Cervois glasses to split with my wife. The beer is a deep-golden red color with good head retention. Wasn't sure what to expect never having any "fresh hop" beers before. I was not disappointed. The hops are distinct, but not over-bearing. The citrus flavor is still there, but it seems 'smoother' and not so sharp. The aroma is citrusy with a grassy back ground. Mouthfeel is only slightly slick.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish I could have brought more back.

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this one.

A - Amber in color, decent head

S - Piney hops

T - Big malt presence, highly roast with a slight hop bite. The hops are far too piney though and there is no balance to the hop bouquet.

M - Medium-high carbonation and medium in body.

D - Not that good. Too piney, not a great beer from Great Divide. Very disappointed by this one.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

This brew poured from a 22 oz bottle looks orange-yellow in the light. The color is very nice. Carbonation was minor at first, but remained at the same level for the whole time it took me to drink the brew. White bubbles.

Smell was a little disappointing. I think my bottle is about 8 weeks old though, so my guess is that the smell was great a couple months back. Smell is of light citrus notes and grapefruit- slight sour odor.

Taste is a little harsh. The predominate flavor is malt, with the slightest lemon aftertaste. I would say the hop level has simply declined with time. With that said, when I warm it for a moment in my mouth, I find that it releases more of the hoppy flavor that I am used to in a pale ale.

Not too bad for a pale ale, but needs to be consumed closer to the date produced. I will likely try again next fall.

Cheers!