Fresh Hop Pale Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Fresh Hop Pale AleFresh Hop Pale Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-07-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Hop Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Pretty looking beer. Great two finger rocky and fluffy head sits atop a clear light amber liquid. Really great lacing and perfect retention. I initially gave it a 4.5 but after more than half way through the beer with a thick layer of foam still sitting perfectly on top I had to give it a 5. It truly makes the beer more enjoyable having some foam in every gulp.

S- Grassy? Hell yeah its grassy, I've been hearing that about all these fresh hop beers which seem to be more popular this year than ever. This is the first beer where I could really identify it. It's really pungent, kinda burns the nostril or makes you want to sneeze. Great smelling beer!

T- Not overly bitter, but a really nice clean up front hop flavor. Real complexities show up in the hop flavor that other IPA and IIPA's lack, good balance of piney bitter hops, earthy, and sharp citrus falvors.

M- Good mouthfeel, I like the carbonation and medium bodied seems to go well with this style. Nothing really sticks out to me though.

D- Great drinkability. Not too high ABV no overwhelming or palate stomping flavors. Really good beer this is, I highly recommend it but I do really love fresh hop beers.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I have been waiting for this all year and was stopped in my tracks when I spotted it.

This beer pours a bright orange-amber hue with a decent one finger thick head. Moderate carbonation as well. It laces nicely as you progress.

Smell is phenomenal. If you love hops, this is a beer you must try. Pine, grass, grapefruit, it has it all. A great bouquet.

Taste is equally good and mirrors the aroma. In addition, to the hops, there is a nice malty sweetness to this beer. It finishes with a moderate bitterness to let you know what is in charge here.

Mouthfeel is great. Very balanced. Not heavy or thin. It's just right.

This beer is one of the most drinkable I have ever had. Another great beer from Great Divide. I have yet to find a notable flaw in any of their beers.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Brought a 22 oz bomber back form Denver. Poured into two Great Divide Cervois glasses to split with my wife. The beer is a deep-golden red color with good head retention. Wasn't sure what to expect never having any "fresh hop" beers before. I was not disappointed. The hops are distinct, but not over-bearing. The citrus flavor is still there, but it seems 'smoother' and not so sharp. The aroma is citrusy with a grassy back ground. Mouthfeel is only slightly slick.

This is a very drinkable beer. I wish I could have brought more back.

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this one.

A - Amber in color, decent head

S - Piney hops

T - Big malt presence, highly roast with a slight hop bite. The hops are far too piney though and there is no balance to the hop bouquet.

M - Medium-high carbonation and medium in body.

D - Not that good. Too piney, not a great beer from Great Divide. Very disappointed by this one.

I am a fan of the fresh hop/wet hop experimentation brewers are experimenting with these days. There is a purity I detect with this approach, and while these beers sometimes lack the complexity of the more traditional hopping technique, I like the fact we get choices. The Fresh Hop Pale Ale has an orange-copper color when poured, and retains a friendly skim of head throughout my glass. Aromas are full of sweet pink grapefruit with some floral notes hiding in the back. I detect a bit of molasses sweetness on this one, too. Highly quaffable and refreshing with the expected bitterness. Does not totally dry the mouth, but I wouldn't want a pale ale to do that. Seems a bit maltier than the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere but only just.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

This brew poured from a 22 oz bottle looks orange-yellow in the light. The color is very nice. Carbonation was minor at first, but remained at the same level for the whole time it took me to drink the brew. White bubbles.

Smell was a little disappointing. I think my bottle is about 8 weeks old though, so my guess is that the smell was great a couple months back. Smell is of light citrus notes and grapefruit- slight sour odor.

Taste is a little harsh. The predominate flavor is malt, with the slightest lemon aftertaste. I would say the hop level has simply declined with time. With that said, when I warm it for a moment in my mouth, I find that it releases more of the hoppy flavor that I am used to in a pale ale.

Not too bad for a pale ale, but needs to be consumed closer to the date produced. I will likely try again next fall.

Cheers!

3.34/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured a brownish reddish color...looks filtered and a big frothy 2 inch off white head. drinking out of a frosted snifter glass. a good looking beer. Not getting much off the smell which is odd coming from a bottle titled FRESH HOP, this did not smack me in the face like a stone enjoy by would for example. Getting some earthy soil like grassy hops....some pine..tad of sweetness, not much at all here. weird. Taste follows the smell to a tee...pretty one dimensional and straight forward, but not bad at all. grassy...leaves a slight bitterness on the palate after swallowing. very drinkable and enjoyable. Almost a session beer I would say. I feel like I went in thinking this was going to be a giant hop monster Double IPA. For a pale ale...this is good. Medium carbonation and slightly creamer in the mouth. very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A nice clear crisp golden/copper color. Two fingers of head with great retintion. Some moderate lace around the glass while I drank.

Smelled really crisp and clean, citrus and grassy with a touch of toasted malt.

Good citrus hops on the front some really good earthy tones in the back. A bit of toasty malts though out. A nice bold apa!

A almost dry finish, medium body. Really easy to drink!

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

pours a thick, hazy honey gold, with a large, initial white fluffy head, that dissipates to a nice lacing. Smell is a bright, appealing grassy and pine resin, with wafts of citrus. I can tell this is pure hop goodness. The taste is hoptastic. Intense, piney layers, with grapefruit astringency, and a sweet, orange candy finish. Sticky consistency, but with a triumphant carbonation. For what it is, wonderful. Hardly balanced, but that's hardly the point. Fresh Hop Ale delivers as advertised.

good stuff. One bottle is enough, as this is a hop kick to the teeth.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured this out of a 22 ounce bottle that almost made it a week.

A: Poured a beautiful amber. About 1/2 inch of head that dissipates into a very light lace. Nice white ring in the side of the pint glass.

S: Grassy flavours with light citrus dominate. Small amounts of malted barley make it through.

T: The hops hit first with it's grassy goodness with a slight hit of lemon. Oooh, this is a nice change. The hops aren't as bitter. I like this.

M: Feels like drinking 1% milk.

D: I could definitely pour another one. Smooth as silk.

Beautiful. A welcome change. Very smooth. The taste of earthy hops without the bitterness usually associated. I like the earthy tones in the beer.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Pours a nice golden honey color with a decent foamy head that dissipates quickly but leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Big floral hop aroma with some piney notes. Very pleasant.

Taste: Delicious piney, citrusy hop flavor with a great malt balance.

Mouthfeel: Excellent. Light and nicely carbonated.

Drinkability: I could easily take down another bomber of this stuff, goes down easy and doesn't sit too heavy.

Excellent offering from Great Divide. If you are into hops, you owe it to yourself to try this! Great hop flavor, but it's also nicely balanced.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Great Divide's Fresh Hop Ale pours a medium turbid amber. The smell is moderate of hops, and the taste has an exceptionally smooth hop taste that makes for an outstanding mouthfeel. Overall, this is what I would like to see in all well hopped beers. A bold hop taste that is very smooth, and not over powering.

Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company