Fresh Hop Pale Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-07-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,459 | Reviews: 673
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to thehand for this bottle. Pours a clear golden/amber color with a nice head and excellent lacing.

Smells like fresh piney hops and caramel malt.

Starts with sweet malt and grapefruit hops and ends on a tasty bitter note.

Good stuff. Very tasty and sessionable.

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

Just bought this beer from a local store. It came in a 22 Oz. bomber, and was bottled on Jan 14 2010.
Initially i was excited about this beer. I had tried sierra nevada celebration, and thought it would be similar; and i think it is, only with a bit less hops.
(A)- Poured a nice amber and orange color with little to no head at all. i like a bit more head on my beers but color alone was okay.
(S)- I loved the smell. initially all i could smell was a strong piney smell with some citrus. but now after 5-10 min or so im getting a nice malty smell to it.
(T)- The taste was okay nice citrus flavor maybe lemon or grapefruit.I thought when i bought this it would be more on the IPA side but now know its a pale. still descent in taste.
(M)- Smooth, clean, doesn't leave a great aftertaste in my mouth but i can appreciate the texture.
(D)- nice drinkable beer and i feel it is a descent beer from great divide. Honestly im not a huge fan of GD but i def think this is one of my favs.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

I'm gonna call this one an I.P.Ale Ale. Witty, huh? Because this beer really defies categorization. Hoppy and citrusy like an I.P.A., but with the rich finish of a superior pale ale. All the fresh "wet" hops they use in this brew lend a remarkably fresh taste right out of the bottle. A bit spendy at almost $7.00 for a 22-ounce bomber, but this baby's worth it...

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Poured a copper, light gold, with a very small head that disappeared fairly quickly.

S - Very subtle on the noise, citrus hops, piney, fresh peeled oranges.. very very subtle.

T - Slight bitterness, pine, orange, extremely balanced. However, I feel this is missing something? But considering this is 55 IBUS it can be hoppy at times.

M - Nice carbonation, slight tingling sensation on the palate, silky, smooth, refreshing. Very nicely done with this part

O - This is a finely crafted beer that is superbly light on the palate. Very drinkable, it goes down very smooth, it covers the palate and very enjoyable.. My only complaint about this brew is I wish more of the hop, dank, sweetness and pine notes would have come through. I understand this brew is not meant to be the boldest IPA. Great divide went for balance and I must say they got very close to perfect. I just wish more smell was present. If you served this to me with any other IPA this would not stand out, until I tasted it. However, this is a very nice balanced IPA, probably the best I've had in the taste category. And is a variety break from the darker, heavier brews in the Autumn season. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pretty typical pale ale. Copper/orange color with a one-finger head. Excellent lacing as you drink.

S: My first smell convinced me this was a summer, lawn party beer. Too bad it's practically winter. Citrusy, grassy, and pretty damn good.

T: Tastes somewhat like a green beer, with some great citrusy and fruity/piny undertones. Quite hoppy and bitter, but balanced with a fair amount of sweetness throughout.

M: Quite smooth, with a medium amount of carbonation. Finishes clean.

O: Certainly airs on the side of an IPA. Great Divide ships the hops for this beer overnight from the West Coast, so with this level of attention to the hops it's not surprising that they dominate the beer. Overall a great pale ale (from a devoted DIPA drinker). Would buy again, bomber or six pack.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date best by Dec 30, 2013
Pours a super clean orange with thin white head

Aroma- big grassy hop resin, musty mango, citrus rind, flower pedal

Taste- juicy and resinous: juicy grapefruit and orange with subtle tropical fruit, earthy wet hop resin surfaces in the middle with sweet bready malt, finishes quite dank and sticky with piney/oily hop resin and traces of citrus

Feel- big for a pale ale, sticky, resinous, balanced

Well I am so pleasantly surprised by this. I was quite disappointed with last year's release (in fact, I kept coming across a similar very astringent grassy note in many of their beers that threw me off, not the case here). This is a great wet-hopped beer with all the right resiny, oily hoppy goodness. Well done Great Divide

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a translucent, totally filtered light golden amber that produced a very froathy head which fleeted to a tremendously nice consistent lacey layer. Smells are of slight hop, freshness, slight undiscernable citrus and minimal malt. The smells are not very robust. The taste follow suits with a tad of hoppy bitter awesomeness. It has hints of earthiness to it. The tastes fade quickly leaving a dry bitter bite. A decent beer but it was lacking something. The bottle notes 'Grassy' and 'Citrusy' characteristics with 'Grassy' being triumphant. It did lack a bit of hoppiness that I look for in a good PA. A bit pricey at $6.99 I feel. It's worth noting that the bottling date is in early Sept. A few reviews I briefly overviewed mentioned October or later. Hoppy beers are better the fresher they are, in my limited opinion. Nonetheless, I'm glad I tried it.

Enjoy!

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle poured into Pint Glass
A: Copper brown. Half inch head retained. Beautiful sticky lacing left in splotches around the glass. Nice CO2 trails from bottom of glass.
S: Very sweet start followed by Piney citrus filled hops.
T: Not nearly as sweet as I was expecting by the smell. Piney hops creep in and dominate the flavor profile. Leaves a resiny aftertaste on tongue, a pleasant one that is.
M: Light on tongue, kind of more bare than I was hoping for.
D: Of the fresh hops I have enjoyed this season it is by far one of the most drinkable. The hops don't tear apart your palette, but dominate a large portion of the flavor profile.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into pint glass.

The beer is a beautiful orange clear, that has a nice crisp, clean look to it. From its appearance, the beer looks fairly tame, because of the clarity, with a massive amount of carbonation flowing to the top.

The beer poured a nice 1.5 finger head and the lace stayed on the sides of the glass. The nose of the beer is a sharp contrast the beers appearance. The aroma is citrusy with a strong dose of hops, more than many other pales ales that I have drank.

The beer shocked with a strong dose of hops. The refreshingly bitter taste is excellent. The beer is medium bodied, and has a complex flavoring to it. Very drinkable beer. Good for both summer/winter times. Outstanding product.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I am a fan of the fresh hop/wet hop experimentation brewers are experimenting with these days. There is a purity I detect with this approach, and while these beers sometimes lack the complexity of the more traditional hopping technique, I like the fact we get choices. The Fresh Hop Pale Ale has an orange-copper color when poured, and retains a friendly skim of head throughout my glass. Aromas are full of sweet pink grapefruit with some floral notes hiding in the back. I detect a bit of molasses sweetness on this one, too. Highly quaffable and refreshing with the expected bitterness. Does not totally dry the mouth, but I wouldn't want a pale ale to do that. Seems a bit maltier than the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere but only just.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fresh Hop Pale Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company