Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samurai Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Samurai AleSamurai Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: ElGordo on 07-02-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samurai Ale Alström Bros

This is easily one of the worst beer I've ever had. I usually love beers from Great Divide, but something about this beer just doesn't sit well me. I realize everyone has different tastes and preferences and I respect that. This is a fairly highly rated beer here on BA, so I'm assuming I'm merely an aberration. I'll have to revisit this beer later on, but in the meantime I'm down on this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -55.5%

This brew did not impress me. Great Divide is capable of so much more. The beer was a cloudy yellow. The head looked like the foam that washes up on the beach. The smell was of corn mash. The taste was of molded corn and wheat. As far as mouthfeel, this beer actually gave me a sore throat. I will not try this beer again. Great Divide puts out some awesome brews, this just is not one of them. A drainpour.

1.82/5  rDev -47.7%

Tried to poor into a glass from bottle. Should have drank straight from the bottle. Head is way too thick. More head than beer in the glass. very tacky. smells crisp. Tastes crisp of what isn;t head. Kinda strong scotch tasting mouthful. wouldn't recommend this beer

1.88/5  rDev -46%

Pours a urine colored gold with small fizzy head. Armoa similar to an average macrobrew. Very similar to many american macrobrews because of the use of rice. Nothing special. i was very disappointed considering how much I enjoy the other Great Divide Brews.

2.06/5  rDev -40.8%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a pint.

A: Pours a banana peel yellow without a lot of clarity. Short pearly white head on the pour that only lasts a little bit. Just a bit of lacing.

S: Grainy malts with a bit of husky aroma. No hops. Clean but hardly anything there.

T/M: Very little flavor. It's a blonde, I know, but wow. Weak grainy malt bill with a little bit of sweetness and a faint sip of huskiness. No hops. I would assume the rice makes it taste like pretty much nothing. Body is light and crisp and finishes clean.

D: Easy to drink but why would I want to? I'd honestly rather get a 12 pack of Miller High Life, for cheaper, and down 'em straight from the bottle.

2.15/5  rDev -38.2%

Had with Hyland from his Great Divide Sample pack. Poured a very light clear yellow until we noticed the bits at the end of the pour and spun them in giving it a slightly cloud with an inch of white head and a dense sheen. Had a light sweet smell, not alot there. Taste was extremely light with a mild fruity citrus taste. Was thin and easily drinkable if you like flavorless ale with no bite.

2.22/5  rDev -36.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with big yeasties and a frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet musty soapy bready malts.

The flavor is pretty bland - a little sweet malt and a touch of fruits with a little grassy bitterness that leads to a dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, a pretty bland offering from GD. There's nothing offensive, but nothing really appealing about it either.

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

Something new in Lexington. I have never had a beer that boasts so much about rice additions. I'd like to know how much rice / barley is used.

The pour delivers a brighter than expected straw color, especially since the lable explains its unfiltered character. Next to null head formation and only a trace of foam at the perimeter of the glass. Its appearance could easily be mistaken for Miller Lite.

Very, very grainy in the nose- far too much for a so called craft beer. Herbal, floral hop notes swirl around a citrusy, acidic note with a regretable undermalted nose.

Flavors are nearly as grainy as in the aroma but with a faint malt pilsner malt, cracker-like taste. Citrus hops join in the frey and accompany the acidic, baking-soda taste.

The body is where the beer suffers most. Though dry, crisp, and somewhat refreshing, the astringency from the grains make the beer tough to drink. If there were any roundness or fullness to buffer the pure grain husk flavor and feel, I would try to get on board with this one.

There is some promise with a weak pilsner malt base and assertion in the hops, but the beer is a mere shell of a craft beer... basically a pretender.

2.28/5  rDev -34.5%

I got this in a mixed 6Pack at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

Pours from 12oz bottle(bottled last week in May 2007) a clear light gold with a large head of foam that shrinks to a solid layer and it has lots of lacing.

The smell is of caramel malt and slight citrus.

The taste has a strong sweetish malt presence on my first sip followed by some citrus hop bitterness and a slight sourness. Further sips in and the flavours are not meshing very well together at all and it leaves me wondering whether I'll be able to finish this bottle or not. The best word I can think of for putting the flavour of this Ale in the shortest term possible is....harsh. I favour it not and I won't buy it again.

2.31/5  rDev -33.6%

A - Cloudy straw body with two fingers of foamy head. Good lacing left behind

S - Pick up on some lemon zest

T - Chemical tasting lemon reminds me of artificial lemon flavoring

M - Light medium body with medium carbonation

D - I did not gag on it or drain pour it but wouldn't ever buy it again

2.34/5  rDev -32.8%

Bottle poured into a stange glass. Beer is yellow and completely hazy with a two finger white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is grainy and watery.

Beer is thin and harsh with a strong rice-y aftertaste with a harsh acidic twang at the back of the mouth. This beer is gross.

2.36/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance - Clear Yellow with a frothy white head.

Aroma - Very faint herbal aroma.

Taste - Very, very light on flavor with a tangy aftertaste.

Overall - The beer has a very strange flavor that I just can't place. It must be the rice... The beer is OK, but not great.

2.43/5  rDev -30.2%

Clear golden yellow body with a thick soapy white head. Very clear brew. Aroma is grassy with some grainy malts. Orange peel also present in the aroma. Flavor is what I expected. Some bready/biscuity malts with a slightly grass/citrusy hop spice. Slightly off-putting sour/astringent finish. For the money, there are several other low abv beers I would rather go with. Not very impressed with this one from GD.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this the other day in a bottle at the Savannah Craftbrew Fest. I love Great Divide, however Samurai Ale seems like an awkward attempt for a craft brewery to mimic an anhauser-busch or miller. I'm not here to trash the beer, but its not for me.

Probably rice was used in the brewing process, which doesn't appeal to me.

Taste was very plain with a bitter aftertaste.

The name of the beer is cool, however the beer is not that great.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a medium light murky gold with about a finger of white head that fades quickly. The lacing is light.

The aroma is very light with a light flowers and smidge of skunk.

The taste is horrible, its light and skunky and has a terrible aftertaste. Very disappointing.

The feel is light and watery.

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%

Had some high hopes for this beer. I'm a big fan of rice. I came away disappointed. It poured quite similarly to an unfilitered wheat, sans the sediment, a cloudy, golden hue. My first smell yielded a hint of fruit (not sure what kind) and a rather large whiff of rice. It almost smelled kind of "musty". The taste wasn't bad, but the aftertaste stuck around much longer than desired. The taste of rice wasn't as prevalent as the smell, but you could still pick up the rice/fruit flavor. I can't get away from the cloying effect and the hang. It's kind of bitter. All in all, I'm glad I tried it, but most likely won't be getting another.

2.56/5  rDev -26.4%

Samurai looks good with a hazy pale yellow color with a nice merengue-like foam that gives a nice lacing. There is a lightly sweet aroma. Taste is a lightly sweet apple balanced with crisp hop bitterness. Then it all goes wrong. An unpalattable bitter aftertaste with a lingering starchy feel.

I wanted to like this one. I was even watching a samurai film while I was drinking it. It looks good, doesn't smell bad and I even kind of liked the taste... until I swallowed. I would try it again if I found it fresh.

2.56/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

very light pale straw yellow color, hazier the more you pour from the second half of the bottle. moderate head that soon fades to a thin layer. some lacing, but sparse.

faint noble hop aromas are drowned out by adjunct grains and acidity.

flavor is really just hop bitterness backed by sourness and poor attempt at some malts trying to peek through.

pretty watery and fizzy. slight astringency.

blah... maybe tolerable in the summer, but not by much.

2.6/5  rDev -25.3%

A - Pours a cloudy gold with a bubbly one finger head. A decent amount of carbonation clings to the sides. Dissipates to a thin lacing.

S - Heavy scent of lemon, almost like a house cleaner. Light floral and bread notes in the background, though mostly overpowered. As it warms, the lemon subsides a little and a banana scent comes in.

T - Starts with the lemon from the aroma at first. As you you swallow bread and banana flavor appears. Strange aftertaste, though the main flavor isn't that great, either.

M - Light body with medium carbonation.

O - When I picked this up I was hoping for a blonde ale with some flavor I would expect from a sake. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I am not a fan of this, though I am sure someone who likes heavy fruit might fare better. Couldn't even finish the glass.

Afraid I may have gotten a bad bottle based on the other reviews.

2.61/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a lightly hazed straw yellow with a modest white cap that retains very well.
Vacant nose with vague soda crackers and bleached grain.
Enters the mouth crisp with a pils malt crackery snap. Rice enters and mingles nicely for a second, then fades to a lightly sour graininess that reminds me of Mickey's (or other malt liquors). Hops bring scant traces of lemon.
The body is about what one would look for in a blonde ale, light and easily downable. But this has a small bit of tackiness related to the sour note.
The rice is an interesting addition, but doesn't do it any favor with the possibly unavoidable malt-liquor notions.

2.62/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It is a pale cloudy yellow colored beer that had nice head at first but went away quickly. The lace is all spread out and loose. It smells crisp and clear with good hop and malt tones. Taste like regular American beer. For ale it tastes like mass produced lager. Maybe that is due to the use of rice. It is crisp and bitter but not in a good way and has a sour aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium with a lot of bite.

2.64/5  rDev -24.1%

Crystal clear pale golden in color. 1/2" snow white head that has good retention and lot's of sticky white lacing.
Smell's like cooked rice.
Taste like a macro lager with a warm cooked white rice flavor. A lot of people seem to like this beer, so it's probably not a bad beer. It's more my taste as I don't like the added rice flavor.
Lot's of carbonation give this beer a sparkly mouthfeel.
I'm trying hard to finish my glass, but this beer may end up down the drain.

2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Thick, 2-3 finger snow-white head. Beer is an extremely light yellow color. Head went away very fast.

S: Smells skunky with rice and corn notes.

T: This is primarily skunky with rice and corn, as with the smell, but there is a mild citrus flavor trying to fight through the not-so-intense other flavors.

M: Very light-bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Feels like a very light pilsner.

D: You could pound a few of these because they are so light, but seeing as how the flavor was so disappointing and undesirable, I don't know what would compel someone to drink several of these.

2.66/5  rDev -23.6%

Without knowing the intended style, upon first glance I thought American macro? Hmmm, Blonde ale? Afraid not. If this had been a Bud product I'd rate it higher. Very pale yellow body, big soapy craggy head. Some raw field corn and burnt rice in the nose. Taste stays with the corn and rice. Bland. Weirdly bitter. At least its somewhat refreshing. I had one and it was enough...

2.69/5  rDev -22.7%

A- Pale yellow with a white head.

S - Use of rice is definitely noticeable in the aroma. Smells like wet rice water that just finished boiling in a pot. It also has an earthy scent to it. Disappointing feint wet cardboard also.

T- Light malt at first that has that unaccustomed flavor that rice adds. Here it seems a bit off. Flavor is buttery in the middle. Hops provide some bitterness toward the back, but nothing extraordinary.

MF - Medium in body and sharp.

D- Overall, this was a let down. I wasn't turned down by the rice addition, in fact, I was looking forward to it, but it doesn't work well here. Perhaps my bottle was old, but it didn't appear that way from the label. Nothing in the flavor stands out and if this is in fact an American Blonde Ale as the style listing suggest, I've yet to find one that I've really taken heart to liking.

Samurai Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company