Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samurai Ale - Great Divide Brewing Company

Samurai AleSamurai Ale

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: ElGordo on 07-02-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samurai Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a slightly hazy straw color, not too much different from a wheat beer. A fizzy white head sits on top and dissipates to a thin film. There is decent sticky lacing. The beer smells slightly floral, with lemongrass as the main idea. The beer tastes lemony and sweet up front, with a dry, wheat-grain finish. Nice balance between malt and hops. The mouthfeel is light bodied and is very drinkable.

Overall, this is a really "thirst quenching" beer if you will. A good summer beer in my mind.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Pours a nice light straw color with a little white head on it. It smells like a can of corn with some light hop notes. The flavor is pretty good and has a slight vegetable/rice thing going on in it. The hops give it a nice bitterness to help round things out as well. The carbonation is bubbly and its gonna be a nice light bodied beer to have next to the pool on a hot summer day.

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 12/28/11.

Appearance: pale golden hue with a light haze and a nice effervescence. Head is a finger of pillowy white foam. Pretty nice.

Smell: aroma is an interesting combination of light malt, citrusy hops and cooked vegetables. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, but it's got a canned-corn character of which I'm not a big fan.

Taste: light malt with a nice sweetness and a pretty good hop flavor: citrusy and fresh. The cooked corn flavor is basically not present, compared to the aroma. There's also a bizarre minty finish, probably due to the hops. A pretty interesting beer, to say the least.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a good carbonation and surprisingly nice creaminess.

Overall: an interesting and drinkable beer, but I can't get over the vegetable/corn aroma.

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Light bodied, a hazy pale blonde in the tall Stella glass. Attractive head. Rather bitter and quite dry. Long taste of hay with some earthy flavors. A bare hint of usual maltiness. Quite mineral tasting, to me. It seems to get more austere and dry and you sip. I don't detect any hops beyond the modest but clinging bitterness.

Here's another less-common flavor that I suspect is very much a matter of personal taste. The beer seems well made, and certainly has a flavor of its own, but it's not one I plan to try again.

12 oz bottle from Best Damn in San Diego.

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation along with particles floating in suspension. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down, leaving lacing covering the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of grainy malts, rice and lemongrass in the nose. The initial smell isn’t that pleasant but it does get a bit better as the beer warms up.
T: The taste has flavors of grainy malts along with notes of biscuits and sweetness as well has hints of lemongrass. No hop bitterness is detectable.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, clean and smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is definitely unique for the style, but I’m not sure if I would want to have one of these again when there are better offerings available. It’s definitely a cut above other beers that use rice as adjunct malts.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Grassy yellow with a slight haze. Thin head but sticks to the glass nicely.

S - Slightly sweet at first then the smell of rice and orange comes around

T - Crisp and refreshing. Lemon and clove. Finishes with a bitter fruit.

M - Very light, drinkable and clean. Great for a warm day.

O - Interesting beer, came off very similar to a hefe and i enjoyed it in the same fashion

Picked up a sample 12-pack from Canal's Hamilton in the Hamilton Marketplace. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a cloudy blonde color. Initial 1/4" off-white head quickly reduced to a thin ring. Spotty clingy lacing is present as my glass emptied.

Smell: Not much going on with the nose other than some citrus grain, some mild sweetness and sour funk.

Taste: Hmmm, this is different. Citrus semi-sweet fruitiness with a hint sourness and peppery spice in the finish. Reminded me of a stronger Magic Hat Circus Boy. Since I never had a "rice" beer before, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be tasting here. I saw banana is mentioned in several reviews but that flavor evaded my taste buds. All I got was a citrus and peppery spice with a mildly bitter-sweet sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is high and crisp, with a thinner body. A lot of action on the tongue, but an easy drinking beer nonetheless.

Overall: I don't see myself going out of the way to buy this beer again. I probably wouldn't have committed to more than one if it wasn't part of a 12-pack. More of a summer brew in my opinion. If it was offered in a picnic cooler, I would have a few without issue.

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Light yellow color with a white moderate head and bits of retained lace.

S- Light citrus aroma.

T- A delicate sweetness, a hint of mysterious spices, a clean graininess, and faint banana.

M, D - Light bodied, good CO2. Crisp, just barely off-dry.

Sushi anyone?

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a clear golden yellow into a DFH signature glass with a quarter finger of pure white head and leaves.

S: apples, citrus, lemon, light malt, some soft spices.

T: light yellow fruits, both sweet and tart, are right up front. Fruits like apricots and lemons. Light malt and apples come in next with some grassy notes. A bit of pine is left on the tongue.

MF: light and crisp, refreshing.

O: a good beer. There others I would pick first but a solid representation of the style.

3.17/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy blonde color with minimal foam. Not a fan of the bottle conditioning in this style of beer. Aroma is slightly off, a sour fruitiness mostly, maybe a little lemony.

First sip is unremarkable. There is a fruity, slightly effervescent, flavor, a bit of a yeast bite, and some mild sweet flavors. Nothing really to get excited about, and I'm not a particular fan of the fruitiness that this beer has in it.

It finishes dry enough, but there is a bit a harsh bite in the aftertaste, almost starchy or papery. All in all, not something I'd get again.

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

APPEARANCE: Yellow, gold and transparent with a quarter-inch head. That head didn't move at all for over five minutes. Lacing is outstanding.

SMELL: About what you might expect from a rice ale - a little funky, citrus (lemon) and a bit of a rice-like aroma.

TASTE: Wow. This is impressive. It matches much of the aroma, but with a little sweeter fruit added up front. The finish is bitter and palate cleansing.

MOUTHFEEL: Very refreshing. It is crisp, clean and lively.

OVERALL: I was not expecting the quality of this beer to be quite so high. I had a small taste in the tasting room once, but it didn't stand out. Focusing on a full beer I really was able to appreciate a fine effort from Great Divide.

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Out of a bottle this beer was a clear, yellow color with one finger of white head. It retained itself as a thin collar and left spots of lacing. The aroma was of light malt, dry grains, sake and a hint of hops. The flavors were dry and a bit unusual but pretty much what one would expect of a rice-based beer. I tasted rice, crackers, pale malt and floral hops. I didn’t really care for it much, even though it was well done. The body was medium, the carbonation medium and the mouthfeel fine.

2.6/5  rDev -25.3%

A - Pours a cloudy gold with a bubbly one finger head. A decent amount of carbonation clings to the sides. Dissipates to a thin lacing.

S - Heavy scent of lemon, almost like a house cleaner. Light floral and bread notes in the background, though mostly overpowered. As it warms, the lemon subsides a little and a banana scent comes in.

T - Starts with the lemon from the aroma at first. As you you swallow bread and banana flavor appears. Strange aftertaste, though the main flavor isn't that great, either.

M - Light body with medium carbonation.

O - When I picked this up I was hoping for a blonde ale with some flavor I would expect from a sake. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I am not a fan of this, though I am sure someone who likes heavy fruit might fare better. Couldn't even finish the glass.

Afraid I may have gotten a bad bottle based on the other reviews.

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I work part time at a wine/liquor store in downtown Boston with an excellent craft beer selection. I love wine but I'm more partial to beer and I love trying something new each week. I've decided to start reviewing beers, but I have a very simplified rating system. I found that in answering customer questions, very ornate and descriptive assessments really proved unhelpful. Also, given the selection of amazing beers on the shelf I found myself playing down beers that were perfectly fine on their own because they didn't measure up to the high bar that I had set for myself. I realized that this didn't help the consumer in any way. So, my rating system is simply would I, or would I not "buy it again". I realize this is somewhat of a departure from the norm on BA, but I really feel it is a true and honest assessment of the product.

Samurai Ale - Would not buy again

This beer is ok. Not bad in any sense, but just ok. Clean and crisp, highly carbonated, refreshing, a little different (I can definitely pick up a sake-ish note in the aroma) but not great.

Just one man's opinion

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

an interesting one. pours clearish for an unfiltered beer, maybe didnt rouse the sediment enough in the pour, small white head. nose is grains and something differentdy, a sweet alcohol smell. taste is as described on the bottle, sessionable but sits oddly in the belly. didnt fill me up, but was a little weird in that way. medium body on this one with some sweetness in the finish, i could see it pairing excellently with asian dishes like stir frys and teriyaki. not bad

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Bought the Great Divide Brewer's Choice 12-pack (12 FL OZ. bottled) from Shop N Save in Valley Park, MO for $14.99 and this was included. Poured from the blue bottled with a red circle & SAMURAI branded on it into a Crown Royal Shaker Glass. Has BOTTLED ON: JUN 01 2011 on the side.

Aroma- Has a very light, clean, and sweet malty aroma with a bit of fruit (bananas & light citrus). No hop aroma whatsoever and these few attributes were tough to grasp...

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that stays for a while. Has a cloudy, bright yellow body and the lacing is sudsy at most.

Flavor- Sweet from the beginning but then has a light banana taste. This banana taste made the brew happen! Very malty throughout and not much else (hops or bitterness). Semi-dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and good Blonde Flavor all the way through.

Overall Impression- A very nice blonde ale! I'm wondering why its called a "Rice Ale" though... This didn't catch me as a Blonde until I looked it up on BeerAdvocate. Oh well, I put this one done Quick anyways. Go for it! Great beer to start out a night.

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Bottled on Aug 30th 2011. Oh geez another American Blonde Ale, let's see how this goes...

Straw pale colored and extremely light body appearance but also kind of hazy and cloudy (unfiltered), can't quite see through this. Head is shocking white and foamy but seems to have some good retention.

Weak grain on the nose, that's about it. Really nothing much going on here. It's a very faint not sure why (rice content?). At least it isn't Kass makeju you know what I am talking about?? Some mild hints of barley and brown rice.

Taste? What taste, oh wait a minute... there it is on the swallow. A real nice bready finish of white bread on the swallow, but mid palate doesn't give much. Palate feels incredibly neutral with not much going on. Mouthfeel is fine although hints at a syrupy adjunct sense even though there probably isn't any corn in this. The bottle suggests fruity taste, I don't think so.

Overall, it feels like a standard lawnmower beer but just a step up, but nothing really malt or anything I would want to buy a sixer and finish off.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at the brewery

A: murky straw color with a mild golden hue

S: some grain, not much else.

T: very herbal and earthy. Not getting the fruity notes. Very grainy.

M: high carbonation and light bodied

Overall: very drinkable but also light. The flavors are tough to pull out for me.

3.49/5  rDev +0.3%

*I do not believe the carbonation that this bottle had is usual for this beer. However, it did not affect any area besides mouthfeel for me so I've decided to go ahead and write my review of this beer.

Poured from the bottle to a beer glass.

A: When I first opened this a stream of carbonation poured out, enough to fill an entire beer glass on its own before it subsided. About 85% of the beer still remained even after the overflow. I was very gentle with the bottle so I am not sure what happened.

Once the initial carbonation subsided I poured it slowly into the beer glass at a 45 degree angle and a white head five fingers in depth formed. After about five minutes it subsided to about 1/8 inch, so not much retention. There is fantastic lacing. The beer itself is a very cloudy golden yellow. Carbonation issues aside, the beer has an inviting appearance.

S: There is a very deep malty aroma. There is also some yeast and light peach aromas. The nose is pleasant. Once it warmed up there was also a slight buttery essence.

T: A malty taste and feel. Heavier than other rice beers I've tasted, which I like. There is a yeast presence. There is a fruit taste, but it's more of a vague fruit sweetness unlike the peach aroma I got from the nose. I like the tastes. They were stronger than I was expecting from this type of beer.

Mf: The body is medium and substantial for the style. There is too much carbonation, but given the rest of the profile I think something just went wrong with this bottle, so I'm not going to judge too harshly on this issue.

Overall: Carbonation issues aside, this was a pretty good beer. I really liked the nose, and it had a enjoyable taste as well. It is the best rice ale I've had so far. I will purchase this again.

4.07/5  rDev +17%

This is a fascinating beer. Pours a very hazy golden body with a foamy white head with decent retention. Aromas are quite subtle and subdued but also interesting, consisting mainly of spiciness and yeastiness, with a distant whiff of steaming sticky rice. The flavor and texture are its most compelling qualities. It feels much fuller and luxuriously smooth than it appears. Its flavors amplify the the aromas and add a surprise lemony and grassy bitterness as it transitions from mid- to back-palate. The dryness of its finish was equally surprising. Absolutely delightful!

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap

App- Thick hazy straw pour with a fluffy white head ringed by sediment. Reminiscent of the great Belgian Saisons.

Sm- Slightly fruity with a uncooked rice dust smell hanging around. A little but of musty mushrooms.

Ta- Crisp malt character that is played off of by the dry rice character. Very delicate with nice yeast phenols lingering. No noticeable hops.

Ov- Who would have thought a rice beer coudl be this good. i swear this beer has made Budweiser more drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: It pours a hazy golden color with about and inch worth of head. As the head thins out it leaves behind nice thick lacing.

Aroma: Apple peel a little bit grainy yeast notes. Faint citrus towards the back. The malts are there but only emit a slight dryness which comes from the rice as well.

Taste: That has a interesting bite it's not a big bite either it's a cider bite. Notes of apple with a buttery mouthfeel. Brown rice way towards the back with a little bit of tropical fruit at the back.

Notes: Not too bad of a beer and it even has rice added to it overall I like it nicely drinable. Cheers.

2.94/5  rDev -15.5%

appears a pale straw yellow color, with huge 3" foamy white colored head. The massive head stays in clumps, leaves tons of lacing.

aroma is a bit offputing, smells of very pale malt, like an adjuct lager. taste does not have much flavor - a bit of malt, rice, and some yeasty spice. Doesn't make an impression with me either way. body is extremely thin, very high fizzy carbonation. fits the beer though.

overall, a light and easy to drink beer.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into a tulip

Pours a slightly hazy straw color due to the unfiltered presentation, great lacing. Smells grassy with some hops, slight sharpness. Taste is interesting, nice hop presence with some interesting creaminess from the rice? I don't know, this is my first rice beer thing..

I thought this was a good beer, not something I would want again really but it was pleasant.

3.72/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle into pint glass
A – 1 finger of white head on a opaque light yellow/gold unfiltered brew, head reduced quickly with about 2 spots of lacing to a crown. Good looking beer but head leaves room for improvement 3
S – Toasted rice & grains with a slight fruit, lemon & caramel background 3.5
T – Grassy cereals & rice with a mildly citric and flowery bitter finish, add on a bland spice characteristic. Notes of other rice brews but Samurai adds much more. 4
M –Clean crisp finish, and very good drinkability, low carbonation overall but still a nice creamy mouth feel 4
O – An easy drinking lighter brew that, while lacking some of the bolder flavor & aroma characteristics I typically like, made for an enjoyable & different drinking experience 3.5

Samurai Ale from Great Divide Brewing Company