Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,018 | Hads: 3,537
4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

22oz bomber, bottled 12/10/11

A - Poured into stout glass. Black, thick, creamy brown head to about 1.5 inches. Fantastic

S - Coffee aroma, chocolate, some alcohol. Molasses and sugar.

T - Rich coffee, toffee, chocolates. A little nutty. Hops and bitterness on the finish.

M - Nice medium-low carbonation let's the rich favors melt over your mouth.

O - A nice desert addition to the Yeti family. Buy as many of these as you can.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

This is an exceptional beer. I was thrilled to death to see it on tap at Barleys last night and the first thing I ordered when I got there without heistation. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/03/2009.

The pour was fantastic. Rich dark black in color with a completely opaque and dark look to it. Rich tan colored head rose up to at least an inch and a half before settling down into a whispy cloud on top and tons of side glass lacing, perfect. The aroma was sublime, rich cocoa and coffee notes that swirled together effortlessly wth light hints of oak and rich sweet smells just swirling about it. As I took the first sip I nearly fell over. This is what I have been looking for in a big coffee stout. INSANE. Rich coffee flavors that were perfectly balanced against the rich oak and chocolate notes that I love in my oaked yeti. Smooth, seductive big bodied fel that made this a sublime sipper that offered no hint of the alcohol in it at all.

Overall I was floored by this beer. Simply put one of the best beers I have had in a very long time. This is an instant classic that has been done wonderfully. I would go after this one at every chance that I get.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a Smuttynose Big Beer Series tulip. Picked this guy up at Belmont Station in Portland.

A: opaque with 1/2" dark tan head

S: bourbon, toffee, oak, coffee

T: hints of vanilla, mild chocolate, sweet malt, coffee

M: sticky oak and coffee, medium/full body

O: This is an exceptional beer. The coffee aroma is quite strong, but not overwhelming in the overall taste. The backbone is the oak and bourbon with a mild bitterness at the end. Creamy malt compliments the extremely slight coffee bitterness at the end. I love this beer. I would love more.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Been a good while trying to get this one. It looks dark brown almost perfectly black. A good two finger dark brown head. Smell of chocolate and espresso! Tastes amazing with a really strong espresso taste. the chocolate after taste makes me want some coffee with my chocolate. Nice and thick just the way i like it. this is a great beer. if you see it you should buy it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Ommegang Goblet. Short pour, and still got a nice finger of brown head. Black like the dark ages. Smells - Bourbon off the bat, roast coffee, almost smells milky like a cappucino. Gettin some chocolate and vanilla as well. The taste - if I could give this higher than 5 I would. Sweet milky espresso drink. Tastes like a coffee nip with a shot of bourbon poured on top. The tastes just hangs on. Will probably be on my tongue after I die. Nice bitter burnt coffee flavor. Stupidly drinkable given the alcohol. Lord oh lord.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Great Divide Yeti snifter, deep chocolate brown with a nice three finger mocha head. Melts to a ring with nice lacing as I (quickly) empty the glass. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate with a bit of a roasted coffee/espresso bitterness. Smells absolutely delicious.

Mouth is full bodied with medium carbonation and silky smooth feel with a little bit of a dry edge as it fades away.

Oh lordy, this is one decadent and amazing beer. I love the original Yeti, and Oak Aged Yeti, but I've only had a small tasting of the Espresso Yeti at the 2008 GABF. I remember liking it. But now I love it. Huge chocolate and malt ball taste. Roasted with that Espresso bitterness and a mild hop presense. Sweet and bitter and milky smooth.

This is extremely drinkable for a big stout. Could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm drawn to sip after sip and watching the glass empty too fast.

This is a great beer.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on-tab at Ray's Place a few months ago and liked it so much I bought a bomber of it.

Appearance - Black with caramelized chocolate brown for a head. Looks very rich, fresh and full of flavor. Lacing is slightly clumpy and soapy looking; but overall quite impressive. Overall very dark brown on the verge of being black.

Smell - Strong hints of coffee and espresso of course. A slight bourbon burn on the nose as well. Definitely some noticeable and strong hints of chocolate also.

Taste - Just like when I had it on tap; huge notes of espresso with coffee flavors bouncing back and forth between different levels of robustness. A slight bourbon burn with huge hints of espresso and coffee.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - A slight bourbon burn with huge coffee notes. Overall a high quality beer that I enjoyed just as much this time as when I had it on tap. A relief in our night of pretty disappointing beers.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Used motor oil black with a creamy brown head

S- Wonderful, the dominant smells seem to be more along the lines of dark chocolate and vanilla. The espresso takes a bit of a back seat, but this is not a bad thing, this beer smells like heaven.

T- Where to begin? Big, bold cocoa up front, with the espresso and vanilla right behind it. The oak REALLY comes through in the flavor, as does a very peculiar (and positively wonderful) smokiness. The finish is warm booze, ever increasing oak, and even a bit of hop bite. All I can say is... wow.

M- Chewy and lightly carbonated, very well balanced.

D- This beer is definitely a sipper, but I had no problem finishing a 22 oz. bomber and was saddened upon taking the last sip... it is that good.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours black like motor oil. Has a brown cocoa color head that's somewhat subdued with a ring of large bubbles around the glass. There's a thin film of foam over the top.

The first thing that came to mind when smelling it was molasses. There's also tons of chocolate, roasted coffee beans, some prunes and raisins and maybe even a hint of smoky peat. I also get some burned dark brown sugar and the alcohol comes through a little. A really amazing aroma.

All the flavors I mentioned in the aroma are present in the taste as well. The dark fruits and coffee being the most prominent. There some sweet chocolate and vanilla in there as well. The hop bitterness is comes through a lot which surprised me a little and found very enjoyable. I also detect a little charred flavor liked burned wood, which I assume would be from the oak. I noticed as the beer warms up the dark fruit goes away and the roasted chocolate, bitterness and the alcohol is more apparent.

This is a very smooth, velvety and creamy beer. It's definitely full bodied with a slight prickly warming sensation (that is more apparent as it warms up). It's moderately dry on the finish.

It's certainly a sipper but is fantastic. Has a fairly complex mix of flavors and the warming feels makes it a perfect winter beer.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours very black and syrupy, has a small dark brown head and hardly any fingers on the ol' glass.

S- A very earthy strong dark roast coffee smell with a small amount of hops.

T- Delicious! Obviously an over abundance amount of dark roast coffee finishes somewhat bitter but the bitterness comes from the strong coffee roast and not so much the hops.

M- Super thick and creamy, feels good on the palate.

D- This stout is exceptional! Creaminess, boldness flavor, and a strong alcohol kick, comfort level on this drink is very high. Amazing stout and it's local. Would definitely purchase another bottle ...or 50.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer. Great brewery. Probably my favorite oak aged stout I've ever had. I could drink this beer everyday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Fantastic flavors of coffee, oak, dark chocolate, and toffee blend perfectly in your mouth and finish off amazingly balanced.

If you haven't had this beer yet, GO GET IT NOW!!!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Pours dark dark black. About as dark as stouts get. Has a nice frothy mocha brown head. Laces well. It looks like engine oil.

S- Oak is quite apparent from the aroma and a bit of smokiness. The aroma while potent in some ways, is balanced so well between the hops and the sweetness that it's almost muted a bit. After it warms up the coffee and chocolate become far more noticeable.

T- Hop bitterness at first . At the end there's an unmissable bitterness from both the hops and the roastiness of the espresso. There's just so much richness to this. First an immense amount of oak greets you and then some of the richest coffee comes your way, only to leave off on the espresso. Oak Chocolate Coffee Oak Chocolate Coffee Oak Chocolate Coffee. You get the idea.

I love imp stouts and I love coffee. The combination is something that just makes my world.

M- Probably a medium amount of body to it for an imp stout. It's fairly creamy and a bit silky.The finish is considerably dry and sticky. Carbonation is almost invisible, but is there and does it's job.

D- I have to give this perfection on drinkability. It almost couldn't be any easier to drink. This could be my fastest bomber yet if I let it be. The only heat I'm noticing from this is long after I've tasted it.

I want to penalize this beer for costing me $13 and leaving me wanting more, but I just can't do that. I had the original Yeti and after a quarter of it I knew that it wouldn't last long enough. The exact same thoughts are going through my head now. This is a beer that will never last as long as I want it to and also one I'll keep coming back to. I have a feeling that I'd die if I had any of the Yetis on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked this up at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids.

Ink black with a crown brown sugar. Head is mammoth but recedes leaving globs along the side of the glass.

Toasted coconut and fermented prunes on the nose. Big heavy notes here. Dark fruits and some bitter cocoa fudgey notes as well.

Sweet fudge brownies are apparent in the taste. Cocoa and coffee, mocha if you will. Bittersweet chocolate but a nice fudgey round taste all over.

Slightly overwhelming at first but once you get a grasp it is smooth and round versions of all the mentioned flavors. Big big coffee taste on aftertaste, but not overly bitter.

Quite a fantastic beer, well worth a buy.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

A - Poured into my tulip glass it produces one inch of brown, creamy head. The head recedes fairly quickly leaving bits of sticky lacing behind. The beer itself is pitch black, looks like motor oil.

S - The expresso aroma is noticed immediately. It smells great, but isn't overpowering. The expresso gives way a little bit revealing some chocolate, roasted notes, and some earthy hops.

M - Full in body and adequately carbonated. There is some creaminess to the texture.

T - Milk chocolate and vanilla notes hit the tongue first. Some oak character is present next followed by the expresso flavors. The beer finishes with a coffee bitterness.

A nicely done imperial stout. The base beer combined with the oak and coffee work very well together. Looking forward to trying the other varieties.

Poured into a snifter from a year old bottle dated January 22nd, 2010:

A: Pours a thick, motor oil black with a matching thick viscosity as it drains from the bottle. Settles with a deep chocolate colored head which quickly retreats into a nice cap with a dense, grasping ring around the sides of the glass. Beautifully circular webs cling to the surface of the glass upon each sip. In all, a very delectable presentation for a stout.

S: Milk chocolate upfront with an undertone of roast espresso bean. There exists a deep, roasty profile with a remarkable, faint nuance of sweetness. As the beer warms, the earthy aroma of fresh roast coffee beans comes to the forefront with just a touch of vanilla been.

T: This beer was certainly a treat. A robust and full roast espresso bean flavor washes over the palate weaved with moderate complexities of vanilla bean and dark chocolate making cameos in the flavor profile. An extremely well balanced and full flavor graces the palate finishing with deliciously semi-sweet notes of chocolate malts and a coffee like earthiness from the oak and espresso chips. The experience for the palate is uniquely enjoyable for such a heavy feeling beer; upfront, you may think you are in for a bite in the finish for such robust flavors being present but instead you are surprised by a pleasant, slow fade of mild sweetness that just melts off of the palate.

M: Viscous, creamy, smooth, and full bodied brew that simply fills the mouth upon sip. Lingers like a strong coffee on the palate without the pronounced bitters. Completely innocuous alcohol bite.

D: I was thoroughly impressed with the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. For such a flavorful and thick beer, it just danced upon my taste buds and left me wanting more without wearing my palate down; I had no trouble finishing the bottle. To note as well, the western style omelet I was eating with it paired perfectly. All in all, this is a very well crafted Imperial Stout that I will be revisiting.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Disclaimer; I only review beers on BA if I am disgusted or blown away...

full body, creamy mouthfeel almost milky with nice carbonation.

Strong sweet/burnt malt presence up front, with strong notes of coffee and a dark chocolate bitterness.

Strong flavors of coffee, chocolate, mollasses and undertones of bittering hops throughout.

Finishes smoothly with very strong notes of coffee, toffee, a fair oakiness, and a rich dark chocolate bitterness.

Overall amazing flavors, nice body, great balance, and abv is amazingly well hidden.

I have had Yeti, Oak Aged, and Chocolate, by far the best Yeti in my opinion (haven't had BA though).

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on tap at the Hulmeville Inn, PA. A nice chocolatey head and an inpenetrable dark colour to this beer. Aromas of chocolate and coffee (obviously) from this beer- smells like a rich, sweet tiramisu. The booze is well hidden in this beer, drinks way below it's ABV and is quite literally the most delicious Impy that I've ever tasted.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

S. this beer smells like straight coffee with chocolate sprinkled on top.

A. Great lacing, black as a rabid panther.

T. Just great mouthfeel. Starts with some dark chocolate roasted malt, then finishes with dark roared coffee.

O. I could drink this regularly. Just a great stout. If I had to pick I would say oak is not very appearant.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottled 2/13/09. Possibly the freshest beer I've ever had at home.

Served slightly chilled from cellar temperature. Foil capped bomber opens with a loud hiss and pours into a globe-shaped glass. It's nearly black in color with thick dark tan head on top. The head settles very slowly leaving perfect lacing all around the glass.

The aroma is excellent - a perfect blend of imperial stout and coffee. There is an earthy spicy smell over huge roasty malts and espresso. The stout, coffee, and oak are all at play here and they get along just fine.

Wow. This is a coffee lovers dream beer right here. Oak Aged Yeti is a great beer to begin with and I had my doubts when I saw they had played with the recipe. I should've known they would do it right. The bitterness from the dark malts and espresso, not to mention the unusually liberal use of hops in Yeti, are surprisingly not overwhelming. Maybe it's just because they come from different sources but it comes together wonderfully. Bitter dark chocolate flavors in there too. Nice balance to all of the flavors and it's amazing that my favorite part about OAY, the oak, doesn't get lost or overshadowed. It's still there and provides a really nice soft canvas for this masterpiece.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and exceptionally smooth. There's a little burn on the finish but nothing surprising for a beer of 9.5%

Drinkability is excellent for the style. There's just so much going on that I can't help coming back for sip after sip.

I loved the Oak Aged Yeti so much that it shouldn't be surprising but I enjoy this version even more.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head and reminds me a lot of Stone's Espresso Imperial in appearance- no surprise. A very dark mocha/chocolate milk head that contains hints of purple perhaps a shade lighter than Stone. This appears as if it will take some time though big bubbles are forming. As for lacing, this is sheeting the glass. The body is also an opaque chocolate black. Very beautiful. The sheeting seems to be restricted to the top of the glass. No lacing is left after a little over a half and inch except for some connecting streaks. Leaves sheeting after each sip.

Nose- Fantastic! Smoke came out as I poured it. I can smell rich roasted coffee and chocolate and malts from a foot away. This is extremely rich with coffee and chocolate aromas. Hints of oak, vanilla, and caramel. If the flavor profile matches the aroma, this is going to be at least a 4.5 and maybe a 4.75. There's a good amount of nuttiness that arrives from the elegant roast of chocolate and coffee. Some light notes of cherry and coconut as well.

Taste- Pretty much the nose is represented on the palate. There's a lot going on here. Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, cherry, coconut, and a warm tingle from the alcohol. This reminds me a lot of many of my favorite imperials. There is a tinge of vanilla and oak but this is much more subtle than Oak Aged Yeti. The oak is subtle in the beginning and has a small linger in the finish. The espresso is not as strong as in Stone because the espresso notes are spread throughout the entire flavor profile. Pretty much all the notes of this very complex beer are diffused throughout the entire tasting. Very dark chocolates and cacao are prominent. Hints of nut- peanut perhaps. The caramel becomes stronger as it opens up. Some honey shows through as well.

Mouthfeel- Between medium bodied and full. Very smooth, very creamy. This has a lovely texture to it. It is imbued with silkiness and tiny bit of grit and carbonation. Pretty much perfect.

Drinkability- This is even more dangerous than the Stone Espresso. I cannot get enough of this beer. At least, it's a little less alcoholic than the Stone. The 9.5% makes itself known at first but quickly fades into the background. This is definitely worth the 10+ (?) I paid. The one thing in Stone's favor- it's seven bucks. I think this one might have been 11,12.

Overall- This is a great beer. It's between A and A+, a definite 4.75. This makes it one notch above the Stone. An exquisite beer.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass, bottled 1/02/12. Poured aggressively and got a 4 inch mocha head, that slowly dissipates leaving layers of lace. Smell is roasted expresso, vanilla, maybe tobacco, and some leather. Taste is 95% Expresso and 5% the other flavors from the nose. Body is large like all the Yetis, a nice amount of life for the style, maybe a little on the dry side, and for stout lovers very drinkable. This is like all Yetis, wonderful. Great Divide is the master of stouts.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Had on tap at the City Tap House. Pours a jet black color with nice 2 finger brown head. Smells simply awesome like creamy chocolate coffee espresso. Found myself taking whiff after whiff to enjoy the aroma alone - all before taking my first sip. Guy next to me overhead me saying "damn" from marveling over the smell. Tastes wonderful. Nice roast, chocolate, and espresso notes. A real pleaser. Mouthfeel a little full but is great for such a sipping beer. Alcohol notes are ever present as the 9.5% ABV makes its presence known. Beware the Yeti!

1/1/13: Hello, old friend. Cracked open a bottle of this on New Year's day to pair with a breakfast burrito. "Bottled on" date read 12/13/2010. Held up great. Lots of espresso & roast character. Drinks dangerously smooth. Velvety smooth mouthfeel with a slow alcohol burn in the back of the throat. Love this beer. Wish I could find this more often so I could have it for breakfast 365 days a year.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

this beer pours a dark black color with a nice tan head befitting the espresso name. the smell combines the dark malt and coffee aroma very nicely, hiding the hops a little bit. the vanilla flavor from the oak works well smoothing out the coffee and dark malt. the full body and good carbonation make this a very drinkable imperial stout.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

From the look and aroma I thought I was about to chew espresso beans. My thought was wrong. In my opinion the taste was perfectly balanced with chocolate, coffee and stouty goodness. No need to age this one.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Extremely thick, extremely black. poured hard into a goblet, the head rolls up to about a finger, before receding by half. Head is a khaki brown color, very deep

S - Oaky vanilla, sweet cocoa, bitter coffee, mild hop notes, roasted notes, more coffee, mild alcohol presence... This beer is packed with aroma. I could smell this all day without having to drink it.

T - I'm glad I decided to stop smelling and start drinking. Sweet all over, with an aggressive coffee profile. Accenting this is that same oaky, wooden presence, and some definite traces of vanilla beneath it all. Plenty of hops to work in conjunction with the dark coffee, and a decent note of alcohol that works well with the chocolate coffee madness. All around delicious and even more flavorful than the nose promised.

M - Very thick, very creamy. Intensely satisfying, but somehow still refreshing. Active carbonation and thick body come together to make one hell of a milkshake. Amazing beer, one of the best RIS for mouthfeel.

O - Amazing beer. Everything great about Oak Aged Yeti, with the compliments added by an aggressive coffee profile. Big beer stuffed with character.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company