Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,018 | Hads: 3,537
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Bomber poured into a pint glass

A- An opaque black with less than a finger of a dark brown head that holds very well with nice lacing.

S-Roasted malts most prominent at the beginning as it changes to the coffee/espresso smell of the middle of the beer that is coupled with some dark chocolate. Mild amount of hops can be noticed as the back end of the beer changes more to a burnt coffee smell.

T- Subtle roasted malts begin the beer moving into the the dark chocolate and a slight taste of roasted coffee. Towards the end of the beer it moves into a harsh hop bitterness with some dark chocolate and burnt coffee beans. The bitterness lingers with little amount of alcohol noticeable. A little disappointed in the lack of coffee/espresso taste in this beer along with the harsh finish.

M- Thick, chewy body with moderate amounts of carbonation.

D- Harsh finish on this beer makes the drinkability suffer a little. Surely not hard to drink though.

Notes: Not my favorite Yeti offering and a little disappointed since I was looking forward to this one so much. Certainly worth a try though.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

This selection was a bomber poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Poured jet black. Maybe a quarter finger caramel-colored head with nice lacing.

S - Espresso, espresso, and little espresso. Actually when you get into it you get chocolate, molasses, and hints oaky vanilla undertones...but it's definitely all about the espresso.

T - Espresso is the definite up-front taste. Bitter cocoa throughout finishing with that oaky-vanilla flavor.

M - Quite smooth - a little more of a hit of carbonation than I was expecting.

O - My passion for coffee lead me to this one and I did enjoy it, but my preference would still be the regular Yeti. Overall, a good Imperial. But for me, a tad bit too strong on the espresso side. I love espresso, but apparently not as much in my beer.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Acquired in a trade with tai4ji2x. Thanks bud!

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Matte black (except for the very outermost bottom edge, which was brown). Creamy brown head sits on top and retains well. Excellent ring-like lacing.

Smell: Lots of black coffee/espresso and dark chocolate. Solid roasted malt backbone - smells thick. There's that same sharp, dark fruit smell I got in regular Yeti. Yum. Some piney hops emerge from the shadows. Nice.

Taste: Hmmm... that's a lot of coffee. Should I be surprised? No. But there is something astringent in there that I'm not too keen on. Dark, roasted malts and tons of bitter hops. Lots of roasty, espresso-ness. Isn't that what it's supposed to be? Yes, I suppose... Tons of alcohol in the back. Aftertaste = yuck.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, well carbonated, a little syrupy and quite dry. Drier than it should be. Full-bodied but not overly heavy.

Drinkability: Letdown. Yep, letdown. Not a bad imperial stout, but doesn't even touch Yeti or OA Yeti. Too much espresso and too much alcohol. A lot of good aspects, but a couple of glaring bad ones. Glad I tried it, but I won't be seeking this out again.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

22 oz. bottled on 4/2/2010, reviewed 11/20/10. Pint glass.

A- Small dark brown 1/4" head on the 1st pour. I poured the 2nd glass more aggressively and it practically overflowed my glass. The taller head left behind a good bit of webby lacing. Both times the head faded to a small ring. Beer is completely opaque black.

S- Strong oak, espresso, dark roasted malts. Some alcohol.

T- Oak upfront followed by dark, bitter espresso. Burnt sugar, faint toffee. Alcohol at times. Mainly dominated by the bitter espresso for me. Faint vanilla at times, mingled with the oak. No chocolate.

M- Full bodied, lightly creamy. No real carbonation. Dry oaky finish. Some mild alcohol heat.

D- A little bit hot at times, but the alcohol is mostly well hidden. Glad to see both namesake ingredients (oak and espresso) make an appearance on my palette. OK balance here but the bitter, dark espresso sort of becomes the dominant flavor after awhile. I enjoyed this, but it didn't really wow me.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

A: nice, very silky appearance. Looks like a volcano bubbling over, head very sludgey. The beer wants to do its own thing. Lacing like a complex topographic map. 4.5

S: Smells a bit more earthy and dry than Peche Mortel with less synthetic smell and brown sugar sweetness and more dry hops. Evokes rye complexities and chocolate. 4.5

T: More complex rye and earthy chocolate. Good bitterness. Had a sweet beer before which may have primed the tastebuds but even then it tastes a little bit sweet to me. 3.5

M: Seems thick enough. 4

O: Good beer. Bit sweet and lacking complexity once it gets to the tastebuds. Drinkable though. 3

Poured into snifter
9 oz pour

Color: Dark brown, almost black. A think caramel colored head forms after the pour and then it quickly disappears. A good amount of lacing is left behind on the glass.

Nose: Bitter coffee, but not a good kind of coffee. Lets just sy I wouldn't enjoy that cup of joe if I had to drink it. Roasted malts, but nothing impressive. The faint chocolate and vanilla flavors save the the nose from being below par.

Palate: Bitter and just blah. Nothing to great here the coffee is present, but its not pleasing. The abv goes in and out and ruins the good parts of this beer. Drinkability is not great, but its not bad when the beer is chilled.

Finish: Just coffee, not much complexity. This beer isn't awful, but its def not good. I expect better from great divide.

86 out of 100

3.74/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle. Drank on July 22, 2011 into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: 4.5
A black body with a mild chocolate brown head of one and a half inches. Very dense. Nice looking beer.

Smell: 4
Prominent notes of coffee, a slight candy sugar sweetness. Notes of dark and milk chocolate.

Taste: 4
Initially slight sweetness and a soft coffee flavor. Oaki-ness comes through more as beer warms. Notes of vanilla from the oak. Midway through the hops bitterness bursts through on the palate. Finishes with bitter chocolate roasti-ness.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Mild to moderate carbonation, a little thinness. (thinner that I thought it would be). Slight dryness from hops which is more noticeable near the finish.

Overall: 4
A very enjoyable beer, but not as amazing as I thought it would be. Still definitely worth trying once, but I have many other RIS that I enjoy more. Espresso does work well.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Spent $12 on one bomber, so this better be good!
Appearance: Pours like motor oil. Pitch black with thick rusty brown head.
Smell: Very powerful! Could smell it right after opening the bottle. Black coffee with some oaky dark chocolate.
Taste: Strong, bitter black coffee with a slight spiciness. Way more bitter than sweet (though it has some sweetness). A very slight booziness.
Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation. Pretty thick and chewy with no watery feeling common in many stouts I have encountered.
Overall: This is certainly a good to great beer, but I have had better coffee flavored stouts and this is not worth $12 a bomber. Would try again, but not near that price tag. This issue keeps me from recommending it.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Had a bottle at the GD tap room. While appearance and feel were both very solid for style, the taste was a bit overloaded with coffee for my liking. I haven't had a coffee stout in a while, however, the coffee was so overpowering, it became difficult to overlook this aspect. Coffee was definitely front and center on the nose, but I still picked up a good deal of crusty bread and roast qualities from the malt. While I think a little time in the cellar will make this one a knockout, as of this tasting the coffee makes this almost too one note in terms of flavor profile.

22 oz bottle, bottled Mar 06 2009

A: Dark black body under a huge brown head. Good lace and OK retention. Good looking beer.

S: Roasted malt, hint of chocolate, lots of coffee and espresso. I felt at the beginning of drinking the lighter coffee notes outweighed the rich espresso I was expecting, but after a few sips they tend to come to an equilibrium.

T: Creamy sweetness up fronts turns to huge espresso, coffee and roasted malt finish. Decent amount of bitterness. Booze is there, and at times is unfortunately medicinal in character. Bit of a grassy hop can be had as well.

M/D: Full bodied, low carbonation, alcohol can be felt. Drinkability is decent. A big beer that needs to be sipped. Overall, I'm slightly underwhelmed with the total package, but it's still a fine beer.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

I had this one in the middle of a promotional liquor giveaway. I couldn't resist, even with free liquor around.

It looks just like I want an Imperial stout to look. Black, shiny, with a massive brown head. Poured into a small snifter. I could hardly see any highlights, though the lighting in the restaurant wasn't incredible (still daylight when consumed though, so not a problem). Nice looking. The smell was light on the coffee, very light on the wood (maybe it was too old to get the full force). There were some dried fruits, a tiny bit of sweetness, heavy on the roasted malts. The smell, without the oaking (which adds some vanilla and woody, earthy smells) and coffee (which enhances the roastiness) was about average, but the extra stuff pushes it beyond average. I kind of liked the smell, though it could be better. The taste was right on. I mean, everything was there, but the only drawback was just that the base was a little too estery (maybe a little too hot). There was coffee, vanilla, a tiny bit of wood, some decent sweetness (not quite enough, in my opinion), roast barley, everything. Wish there was a bit of bready sweetness. That is all I wanted. But I found that this had everything else I expect, in fact, it exceeds what the average person does by quite a bit. I mean, if I judge it along the others, it more than deserves the score, if I judge it by my own standards, it just about earns it. The wood and coffee help the mouthfeel, of course. This one doesn't cling like regular yeti, it isn't too harsh or rough, it's just nice and pleasant, a bit better than normal, but not incredible. I drank this one down rather quickly, and enjoyed it. I would ask everyone to try it, I mean, I wasn't a huge fan of the regular yeti, and if you weren't a fan, this was much better. Try it if you can (it may be too late now). worth a shot.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Pours oily black. Creamy, dense, tightly-packed, milk chocolate colored head. Holds extremely well, before it slowly falls, leaving a scattered film.

Smells of fresh coffee grounds, heavy roasted malt, and muted bakers chocolate. Soft, underlying vanilla, with a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste is similar to nose. Strong coffee and roast, almost competing for the spotlight. Vanilla comes out stronger than it did on the nose. Light bakers chocolate. A strong, bold, woodsy oak finish with moderate to high hop (or is that coffee) bitterness.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Creamy body. Slight residual malty stickiness. Liberally bittered finish. The sweetness is strong on the aftertaste.

This is likely the oakiest beer I have ever had, its almost distracting. The coffee characteristics are bold, without being overbearing (fd: Im a coffee addict). The subtle vanilla note is perfected throughout. A bit harsh on the bitterness, and I would have liked to see more sweetness.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Pours rich velvety dark brown with a cream tan head that leaves globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is roasted dark grain and a pleasant chocolate sweetness.

Taste is more of the roasted dark grain along with caramel and toffee maltiness up front. Then sweetly smooth chocolate takes over for a moment before being eclipsed by a smokey charred grain bitterness that lingers on the tongue. The finish holds an unusual herbal-medical hop and massive oaky tannins that build unpleasantly as it warms.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, soft and smooth.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer at first, but when it warmed the oak flavor comes on so strong that it detracts of the rest of the flavor.

3.71/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into NBB snifter. Bottle stamp says bottled on April 2, 2010.
A: Pours a luscious, syrupy opaque black. Absolutely no light comes through with backlighting. The faintest of dark chocolate heads forms and recedes quickly. Very nice.
S: Dark chocolate with mild coffee and alcohol notes (not quite espresso here although the bottle says that is what is added to the brew). Not very complex.
T: Bitter semisweet chocholate and bitter dark roast coffee. Take away or soften some of the bitter edge and it would be great (perhaps a little time will soften and improve it). Dark/charred roast malt.
M: Medium body (lighter than expected). Initially smooth with a hint of creaminess, but quickly giving way to a bitter tingle. Dry and tannic finish.
D: Given the ABV, it has good drinkability. It will catch up with you though. A nicely crafted brew, but I like some of the other Yetis better. This one seems to want to go big in all things...super malt, super hops, oak, espresso, high ABV, etc. Personally I would tone down the hops on this one (maybe a little oatmeal to soften it too).

9/22/12 update: Cellared another bottle (from the same bottling) and finally got around to it. This one definitely improves with age--softening and smoothing the edges. Smooth, sweet, and luscious now. In hindsight, drinking this one 4 1/2 months after bottling wasn't the smartest thing to do. Current rating would be 4.5/4/4/4.5/4.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: 1/2 inch light chocolate head, black in color

Smell: burnt malt, oak, expresso and chocolate

Taste: a creamy start, chocolate, expresso, then a long oak taste, with a coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium to heavy in body, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is a good beer, but probably my least favorite of the three Yeti's that I have tried. It almost tastes like a Baltic porter/RIS mix, which I do not get with the other Yeti's...A good beer which I would like to have again, but for the price one is enough.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

When poured you cannot see through it even when held up to the sun. It has a very dark color, almost black, yet of the darkest brown. The head was not too much, about 2 fingers high.

I recommend taking in a full inhalation in order to get a proper smell of it. I disliked the smell when doing so at first but then found that if I took in a full whiff then I found out the entire aroma. Smells strongly of coffee...and that's exactly how it tastes.

I was a bit disappointed by the initial flavor, or lack of, but in the middle is the intense coffee taste with lingering smokiness, vanilla, and at then end of strong bitter coffee. It was too bitter for my taste but I'm not much of a coffee fan.

If you love coffee though I would definitely recommend this. I also recommend eating something with it because it is so profound in its espresso flavor.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours out loose, not thick, but substantial enough to let you know you are dealing with a decent sized beer here. Smooth, brownish black body with two inches worth of a bloody plum/chocolate kind of deep dark red, purple and brown colored head that fades into a cap, there are some pretty decent alcohol legs on this beer as well.

S: Toasty coffee, dry, dark chocolate, faint caramel. Lots and lots of chocolate, more so than any coffee aspects. Perhaps some time on the shelf sapped some of the coffee aroma but there certainly isn't any lack of chocolate. More of a mocha aroma than any kind of coffee I am familiar with. Slightly creamy but dry mostly, which is weird to me as I didn't think something could smell like both, but somehow it does.

T/MF: Chocolate, dark and dry and bitter. Not really that much coffee, bits here and there but much less than I was expecting going in. Finishes with a slightly drying alcoholic finish that pinches the back of the throat ever so slightly. Medium side of full bodied and quite quaffable if a bit one dimensional.

D: I am sort of on the fence about what to think about this beer. On one hand it sort of delivers what it promises, a coffee infused imperial stout, and on the other hand it delivers what it promises, a coffee flavored imperial stout that lacks any kind of depth or complexity behind the initial blast of coffee and chocolate flavors. It does taste pretty darn good and goes down quite easy but it sort of reminds me of a McDonald's chocolate shake, not that this beer tastes like a chocolate shake, but more so what it feels like after you've finished a chocolate shake from McDonalds. You knew you wanted chocolate going in and it was good while you were drinking it but when you finished the shake you already have forgotten what it tasted like. Yes, it tasted like chocolate but beyond that there was really nothing more there, you asked for chocolate and that's what you got, nothing more. The same thing sort of happens with this beer. You get what you were expecting, maybe even a little less, it tastes good but beyond that there was nothing else there, the depth and complexity that you find in other stouts was not there, the dark fruits, the earthiness, the roasty/toasty flavors that dry the tongue after an initially dark and fruity kick are not here. You get what you ask for out of this beer and not much more. A good beer, but not really worth another ten dollar investment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Quite possibly the slowest moving head I've encountered. Extremely dark; there is no light permeating this darkness

S - Coffee dominates, as expected, with chocolate coming in a close second. Also a decent amount of smokiness to the nose

T - Similar to the nose; lots of coffee with chocolate bringing up the rear with one glaring difference: there is a taste that reminds me of tobacco. Eating a piece of chocolate while drinking accentuates the coffee taste

M - Powerful all-in-one type mouthfeel that hits quickly and exits just as quickly. Perhaps I served it too cold

D - Considering the variables (complex taste, alcohol content), not bad. However, at 9.5% it drinks more like a 12 or 14% stout in my opinion

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

A: The pour is a almost black in color with a minimal tan head forming.

S: Smells like cocoa powder, spicy oak notes, roasted malts, and coffee. Definitely a lot of coffee, which you would anticipate given it being Espresso Yeti. Perhaps a bit of caramel sweetness as well.

T: The oak is really pronounced on the flavor, maybe a bit too much so. Lots and lots of coffee without much of the chocolate that is present on the nose. This is fairly bitter, as well.

M: The body is medium with a fairly smooth carbonation that I would classify as medium.

D: Definitely better than the regular oaked version, but not one of my favorite imperial stouts. Decent enough beer, though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank from a 1 pint, 6 fl oz/650 ml bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Bottled on Feb 13 2009
Served in a snifter

The beer poured slightly thinner than anticipated, near pitch black with a three-finger, creamy, bubbly, crimson-tinged, saddle brown head. Over time, the head faded to a frothy mass of bubbles.

The aroma was rich and enticing. Semi-sweet chocolate dominated the nose. As the beer warmed, the chocolate notes became sweeter, taking on an almost hot fudge-like character. Roasty and a touch smoky. Brown sugar and vanilla notes were also apparent.

The taste was vastly different from the aroma. Super roasty, ashy and dry. Slightly acrid. Burnt coffee came to mind. Piney, pithy, citrusy hops hit hard right off the bat. The ashiness once again appeared in the bitter and dry finish. Espresso and oak flavors were unfortunately non-factors in the flavor.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied for the style. Creamy and smooth with a crisp effervescence. From a textural standpoint, the beer was definitely not as "big" as I anticipated.

This beer was somewhat of a disappointment. With a name like "Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout," one would epect espresso and oak to be front and center in both the aroma and the flavor. Unfortunately, I found them to be practically non-existant. Furthermore, it seemed that the citrusy, American-style hops were definitely overdone. All in all, this beer seemed a bit "rough around the edges." I would however love to revisit it again after a few years of ageing.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours very dark and syrupy thick. Creamy tan head is initially quite thick, but dissipates more quickly than expected. Great lacing left on the glass.

Great nose features sweet chocolate notes as well as coffee roastiness. A bit hoppier here than expected.

Big time roasted bitterness as well as hop bitterness on the palate. All chocolate that comes through here is of the bittersweet variety, which with all the other sources of bitterness makes this beer a bit unbalanced. Long, bitter finish.

Overall a v. good beer, but not as good as I was hoping. A bourbon barrel would have done a great service to this beer. I'll stash one or two and see how it drinks in the future--hopefully bitterness will mellow a bit and become a little sweeter overall.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle dated 4/2/2010, purchased in Atlanta during the Christmas holiday.

Pours black with a medium deep brown head. Carbonation lingers around the edge of the glass.

Smell has a moderate coffee presence mixed with bitter roasted malts, dark chocolate and a little oak and dark fruit sweetness.

Upfront taste is bitter roasted malts with a light coffee flavor. Coffee intensifies from middle to end, but still somewhat lacking. Bitter, roasty finish ... little wood presence ... bitter chocolate combines with the coffee. Lingering roasted coffee flavor.

Full bodied, creamy and smooth. Little carbonation.

Good flavor and aroma, but lacks the really pronounced coffee presence I expected. Possibly the coffee faded during the 10 months since bottling? Still good overall with a nice roasty bitterness. I'd be interested in trying this again fresh.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a pint glass and built up a 2 finger mocha colored head that disappeared quickly with no traces of lacing, jet black. Smells just like the name implies, heavy expresso presence followed by roasted malts, oak flavor lingers in the background and is pretty subtle. Extreme expresso flavor, a little too much for me but not bad, followed by a well pronounced roasted malt flavor backed by a little bit of oakiness. Medium bodied, medium carbonated beer that goes down pretty smoothly. Very easy to drink but the expresso taste is a little strong for me.

3.69/5  rDev -13%

Live review, bottle purchased at From the Vine.

I have been looking out for this beer ever since I tried the regular Oak Aged Yeti early last year.

A huge four finger head was easy to entice out of this beer as I poured it into my Duvel tulip. The beer itself, a dark, tar-like black with an oozing crude oil-like consistency, produced a dark mocha colored head. Frothy and thick, the head retains extremely well, and leaves behind heavy lace that marks the glass as if a sponge were dipped in thick paint, then pressed to the glass. Beautiful in such a dark, strong stout.

The smell was enticing to say the least, and yet, is missing something.... the coffee! Despite being an espresso stout, the coffee aromas are missing for me. Instead, the heavily malted core stout shines through. The oak chips lend a sweet caramel and milk chocolate type of smell, not quite vanilla, but sweet and savory. Additionally, the core Imperial Stout provides a dark and decadent roastiness, and a bitter dark chocolate aroma. The beer finishes with dry oakiness and a light date-like fruitiness.

The flavor also provides one with much beer for thought. The beer itself is tasty and fulfilling, but when I consider the additives: oak and espresso coffee, I am less enthused. Once again the coffee is not nearly as apparent as I feel it should be. It is much more noticeable than in the smell, but still subdued and overpowered by the Yeti base Imperial Stout. Nevertheless, bitter coffee filters in and out of the flavor profile. And the finish certainly offers more bitter espresso than the liquid itself. Roasted barley and bitter baker's chocolate abound in this beer, and the oak chips begin to show as well - it manifests itself as dark fruits and dry fresh wood. Not as much coffee as I would like here, but a great beer nevertheless. If you like Yeti, and especially if you like yeti and are not overly fond of coffee beers, you will certainly love this beer. For me, I need more coffee flavor to give this beer a higher score.

Overall the beer winds up being very bitter, and I assume it is mostly due to the espresso and not hops, but the bitterness gets to be a bit much. I feel that if there was a slightly higher level of sweetness, the beer not only would be more balanced, but that the coffee flavors would be able to take firmer hold on my palate as well.

Drinkability kept dropping off for me. The alcohol is never really hot, though its effects crept up on me before the first half of the bomber was finished. Also, the bitterness grew a bit tedious when attempting to consume a larger amount of the beer.

This was certainly worth trying, but there are better coffee stouts out there to be sure.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled April 2nd 2010

A: Poured from a 650ml bottle into a snifter. The beer looks absolutely gorgeous. Dark black with a 1 and a half inch tan head that quickly dissipates into a nice a ring. A lot of lacing.

S: I didn't get a whole lot of espresso on the nose which was mildly disappointing. The dominant characteristic is definitely oak, followed by a hint of vanilla and coffee. You really have to try hard to get anything beyond the oak in this one.

T: Again, I was mildly disappointed. Perhaps the age on the beer diminishes its coffee qualities but all I get on the palate is oak followed by hints of roasted malts, vanilla, and coffee. The dominant characteristic is definitely the woodiness. While this is excellent and delightful at first, even when shared among two people the woodiness really starts to become overwhelming. A bit challenging to get through.

M: On par with other imperial stouts. Thick and chewy with some residual woodiness lingering.

O: Overall, this has not been my favorite imperial stout but it is definitely worth trying if you are looking to explore the world of wood aged beers. However, shy away from an aged version of this style if you are looking to get a dominant espresso quality. My only advice is that I would suggest sharing this beer with one or two other people, as the woodiness can become a bit sore on the palate as you make your way through. I do plan to return to this beer, perhaps as a tasting with the other Yeti's to showcase the versatility and uniqueness of the style.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company