Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Boulevard snifter. Bottle was dated 04/02/2010.

A: This beer pours coffee black with a thin chocolate brown colored head. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

S: Smells like dark roast coffee that has been sitting in a pot on a burner for just a little too long. I'm also picking up a little bit of chocolate and a hint of bitter hops.

T: Dark roast coffee is the predominate flavor, but I'm getting a little bit of chocolate up front also. My wife took a sip and, after thinking for a second, said that it tastes like drinking a cup of pure coffee grounds and therefore it was delicious. I've never tried straight coffee grounds and since she's the coffee drinker, I'll take her word for it. A hint of oak is in there too, but it's definitely overpowered by the coffee flavor.

M: Medium to full bodied. Slightly creamy with mild carbonation. Finishes dry and slightly bitter as a result of the coffee.

D: The alcohol is very well hidden, which makes it easier to drink. The bitterness of the coffee does, however, reduce drinkability ever so slightly.

Overall, I enjoyed the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. I like coffee as much as the next guy, but it almost got to be a bit much as it overpowered other scents and tastes. I don't regret buying the bottle, but I don't know if I'd rush out and buy another. There are several other imperial stouts that I enjoy more.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle on 12/22/11. A little over a year old.

Near pitch black. Solid reddish-brown head, nearly an inch thick, which is impressive considering I poured into a red wine glass. Decent retention.

Aroma was initially very chocolate heavy, with some roasted coffee aromas and a slight hop presence. As the beer warmed, chocolate faded and the vanilla sweetness emerged. Coffee remained but vanilla was most noticeable.

Taste was similar to the smell in that the vanilla, oak character asserted itself as the beer warmed. The coffee flavor is very strong, and I like a fair amount of coffee in my stouts. Almost too much. Very bitter, but still a hearty, roasted flavor. Did not get too much chocolate, but there was just enough malt presence and sweetness to counter the coffee. After about half the bottle, the vanilla kicked in. Tasty, but a bit too sweet I think. It quickly becomes a very rich beer. Coffee is still there, but it does not blend terribly well with the sweetness.

Maybe a tad thin on the mouthfeel. Not very carbonated, which for me is a plus.

Overall, a very interesting beer and I like what Great Divide did with this one. I would highly recommend splitting this with someone. I am now regretting my decision to kill a bomber by myself. It becomes a bit of a chore by the end with the sweetness. I would like to see more balance of all the flavors. Each on their own is great, but a bit too intense. Worth a purchase for sure.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Black as the night, with a lighter brown head. Great lacing all around the glass, and good head retention for the abv.

On the nose I get coffee, cocoa, some vanilla and also hints of charcoal or burnt wood.

The elements all come through nicely. There is certainly a great whack of coffee and roasty notes in there. I can also get the oak, for sure. This nice chocolate flavour comes in after that, but gets swept away by a firm bitterness and roast flavour. Very much reminiscent of cocoa rather than chocolate.

Goes down a treat, a lovely winter nightcap. I really like this beer. Overall, I prefer a slightly sweeter, more luxurious imperial stout to this. The flavours are balanced well, for sure, but I'd just like them to indulge with the chocolate flavours a little more. Totally personal taste, of course.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks again very much to the Bier Stein for having this beer.

Pours a dark black color, similar to black licorice.

The espresso/coffee aroma is very pungent. I could also smell some vanilla, and of course hints of oak.

Tasted like how a coffee stout should. Deep coffee notes throughout the taste of it.

At 9.5%, this beer could easily be drank again and again. Just not too much in one night.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottled April of 2010, so about a year and a half old. This is a pretty beer on the pour, mahogany in color with a nice dark tan head.
There are potent smells of coffee, dark chocolate, oak vanilla and molasses or toffee.

The taste certainly follows the nose, with coffee and chocolate dominating. Medium bodied, not overly creamy nor carbonated, in my opinion. The oak is there throughout, and lingers in the finish. There is a nice malt/hop balance for the style.

This is a nice offering from GDBC, a good all around stout. Great Divide is definitely a brewery I'm paying more attention to.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottled on December 15, 2010, enjoyed on February 20, 2011.

A - Pours an opaque pitch black with a large chocolate milk colored head. Leaves excellent lacing. Good looking beer.

S - Smell is a lot of the dark chocolate found in the normal Yeti. Accompanied by some roasted malts and some coffee.

T - Begins chocolatey with some roasty bitterness and has a coffee-like finish. The coffee taste feels kind of synthetic however and takes away from it's taste score slightly. Also leaves a pretty dry dark chocolate taste on the tongue for a while.

M/D - This is a rich beer but it still has decent drinkability.

I enjoyed this beer but I'd probably reach for a normal Yeti before this one again.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a sludge-like deep, deep brown with a finger of dense, dark khaki head, like the crema on top of a shot of espresso. Impressive lacing for an imperial stout.

Smells of bitter chocolate, black licorice, roasted, borderline burnt barley and a touch of oak.

Tastes big and bold -- bitter chocolate, black coffee, oaky vanilla, milk chocolate. A little caramel sweetness. Smooth espresso on the finish. Nice lasting roasty bitterness.

Full mouthfeel that coats the entire palate and lingers. Creamy, with slightly prickly carbonation.

Overall, this is a roasty, roasty stout with just enough sweetness to balance it out. There doesn't seem to be a huge oak presence, but I guess it may have served to soften the edges and meld the bold flavors. A great barrel aged impy stout, though not the best.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter. No bottling date present (worn off?).

Very tiny bubbles with a large head off the pour. It seems to fall normally. Head is a gorgeous dark brown like dark hot chocolate. Body is just nearly black couldn't see a thing. Looks great! Love this head color so dark and nice looking.

First whiff is a good coffee roast complete with faint sour espresso. There's a little faint hint of chocolate here too.

First impression on taste in feel is a little wet but the flavor is all there. Great coffee espresso feeling with sour finish. There's a sense of heat on this too making it feel warm and inviting. A nice lingering bitter too. Hot Hot Hot!

Overall pretty solid here another solid yeti for the pack.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap at the South Philly Tap Room.

Beer is black, big brown head in this 12oz tulip-ish glass. Leaves nice lacing as I drink.

Aromas of smooth, roasted coffee, mostly. Chocolate as well.

Robust stout flavor, heavy on the espresso. Notes of bittersweet chocolate. Lightly sweet. The oak flavors are light, but detectable and a nice addition.

Medium-heavy mouthfeel, which is right for this kind of beer.

I liked this one quite a bit. I've definitely like stouts with coffee in them. The oak is nice in this one, too.

Bottled February 13, 2009

I poured into a pint glass to a good two inches of brown head. It is black. The first aroma I got when I poured was milk chocolate. Once I bury my nose in the glass I seem to get more dark fruits, raisins. There is a faint coffee smell. I taste chocolate and some sweetness, but the bitterness of the expresso is more defined in the taste. It is a pretty tasty beverage. It is going down a lot faster than I anticipated. It leaves a nice coating on my mouth and lips. Now I need to try the other Yetis.

Cheers!