Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,015 | Hads: 3,514
4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a beautiful dark as night black with a creamy copper head that sticks around and leaves huge walls of creamy lace.

The aroma is of roaste malts, strong robust esspresso, dark chocolate, toffee and a hint of booze. Subtle dark fruit notes blend in well with a nice woody, oak and hints of vanilla.

The taste is of rich dark chocolate, toffee, brown sugar and molasis with hints of dark fruit. This gives way to a nice oak character with some earthy hops in the background. The esspresso is in the front and in the afterbreath, it lingers a nice bitter note with a touch of vanilla. Complex and balanced.

Creamy, silky, and smooth. Overall, a very delicious and enjoyable beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Had this on tap at Brickstore Pub. Came out as a chocolate black with traces of a milk chocolate head. Looks good enough to eat. Smells is slightly hoppy, chocolate, toffee, and, of course, coffee. Taste is exceptional. The coffee is prevalent with traces of chocolate. Very well balanced. The coffee and hops create a bitter ending that balance the malt very well. Silky, creamy smooth mouthfeel going down. Tough to drink more than one, but this is definitely one of the better beers that I've had recently.

Poured from 22oz bomber to snifter

A: Pours a totally black body with a reddish brown 2 finger head with good retention and about half a glass of lacing.

S: Smelled the hops no more than a second after i popped the cap off. Aside from the hops I get strong roasty malts with strong hints of chocolate and espresso.

T: Hops sneak in right away but only for a second as the beer hits your lips. Malts quickly take over with a strong roastiness still met with a decent amount of hop. A third party enters as Mr. Oak creeps in with subtle whispers as he invites Bittersweet Chocolate (a young sassy woman) to join the party. As this quartet of flavors dances across your tongue big fat Espresso shoves his way onto the stage and demands attention. He is a bold one. The strong espresso gives off a nice amount of bitterness...the kind that Mr. hops can jump on board with, which he does. The finish is bold and has a decent bitter bite to it. My favorite part about this flavor party is that Dr. Alcohol attended but kept very quiet.

Overall: Mouthfeel was very pleasant, very well carbonated and not as thick as I expected. Drinkablility is very good, however such a big flavor and alcohol bring it down a bit, one bomber will do for me. Fantastic beer.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Thick and dark as night. There's not the faintest hint of light getting through. Nice thick milky dark chocolate colored head. Judging the beer by the cover, this one will be a gem. Smells of bitter bakers chocolate and vanilla. Faint hint of coffee aroma but I was expecting much more. Smells good, just not what I was expecting. On first sip I let out an audible, "WOW!" This is one tasty beer. Sweet chocolate and vanilla flavors balanced by the roasted and coffee flavors. By balanced, I mean perfectly balanced. I honestly don't see how Great Divide could improve on this beer. I love coffee beers and this is one of the best I've had. It's right up there with Pisgah Valdez. Mouthfeel is so thick you can chew on it. Wonderful beer and I wished I'd purchased more than one bomber.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Black with a retaining beige head.

Espresso and cream.

Coffee stouts can fry your taste buds but this Yeti does not. The oak's subtle, the espresso's pronounced but that nor the alcohol gives much of a bite. That said, it's a year old bottle. A simple stout that's top of the type.

Carbonation is just right.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep black color, builds a milk chocolate head, thick and creamy as ice cream. Simply lovely looking stuff.

Deep roasted chocolate, hops asserting their presence, and perhaps some roasted coffee though chocolate is dominating this.

Much like the nose an amazing roasted chocolate flavor is simply over powering. Espresso? More like dark chocolate yeti! I am assuming the espresso beans are the bitter dark flavor here, hops blend with this and the roasted malt in the base beer are why this tastes like a dark chocolate lovers dream beer, but I’m still just not thinking coffee at all here. A huge improvement over oaked yeti and yeti!

Exceptional carbonation, perfect body, just sinfully great!

It has been a few years since I last had Yeti and frankly thought the hops and oak used in Oaked Yeti just made for a mess of a beer. No need to worry about this one however. Just a wonderful chocolate cream treat. I’m a bit worried about the chocolate Yeti since this beer is a perfect chocolate beer. Just amazing!

As someone who now knows what coffee tastes like....yes I know how crazy it sounds. This beer got me into coffee. Yes it is bitter chocolate but the espresso is not subtle...it is overt and simply AMAZING.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black, with a thick, light brown head. Nice lace.

Espresso hits the nose first, followed by a very extravegant scent of roasted malts, and everything that would be expected for an oak aged imperial stout.

First taste is incredible--it's like biting into a dark chocolate espresso truffle. The oak smooths things out so nicely. Very rich, and everything I've ever wanted in a coffee stout.

Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel.

I love coffee stouts, and this has to be one of the best I've had.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I usually don't review beers but I made an exception for this one.
Poured into a Teku Glass and slightly over celler temp.

Look: The color is right on par with other stouts, a dark, almost black, brown. But the head was a beautiful dark brown raj left a bit of lacing for me to stare at as I drank it.

Smell: lots of coffee with a bit of chocolate and roastiness.

Taste: Oh. My. God. Lots of bitter coffee with just the right amount of chocolate to cut the bitter to an appropriate level. Long coffee at the end as well which was wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Seemed it was a bit thin for me but I usually prefer thick body stouts. Still pretty good.

Overall: An amazing coffee stout that blows the regular out of the water. My general comparison for coffee stouts is FBS and never had a stout outdone that one like this one has. Wish I would have picked up another bottle.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A-black with a large brown head that laces the glass
S-coffee and a sweet chocolate smell
T-strong coffee taste with a strong hop bitter aftertaste that stays with you. You also get a warming in the aftertaste. Then you get a smooth taste with a malt finish that balances out the strong bitter taste
M-medium body with a low carbonation
O-This beer was outstanding. It gives you a little chocolate malt sweetness and a large bitter aftertaste that finished with a smooth taste at the finish

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Appears midnight black with a thick brown head that is very stable.

It smells really good. There are notes of bitter strong espresso, milk chocolate, and vanilla.

It tastes very strongly of roasted coffee beans a nice oaky vanilla flavor complements the dry coffee taste. The coffee and oak flavor are very strong but the taste is smooth. A nice bitterness that comes from both hops and coffee is also present in the beer. All the flavors of the beer blend so well it is amazing.

The carbonation is medium low. It adds a nice creaminess to the beer.

For the style the drinkability is very good. It is so smooth I want to keep on drinking it.

Overall an amazing beer that goes great with the music I am enjoying: two cow garage, a melancholy drunken country punk band.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 24oz bottle to a snifter.

Pours a deep dark brown black with a nice 3 finger that stays for a good 10 minutes. Has a nice thick creamy lacing throughout the beer. I smell a deep coffee and mocha scent throughout with chocolate and a minty maltiness almost caramel.

This beer is like PURE SMOOTHNESS in a bottle....it is so creamy and smooth, just fantastic. Espresso and coffee and chocolate, oatmeal, biscuit and dough, with a slight hoppiness blended with a smoked malt taste. Did I mention coffee? Throughout, espresso and coffee and caramel. With great smoothness, there is a hint of oak or whiskey in the aftertaste. Really quite remarkable beer. Just fantastic creamy thick mouthfeel that has a nice longing aftertaste that is pleasant and unique. Definatly has the imperial stout uniqueness through the entire beer.

Despite the high gravity of this beer it is sooo drinkable. Has such a beautiful creaminess with so much smoothness that is dangerous!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me. I was at Cable Beverage looking around and I spotted this. I'd never tried it myself but I'd heard good things so I scopped it up. Damn glad I did, Luved it. Excellent pour with deep flavor. Highly recommend.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

bottled on dec 19, 2011, purchased from tyler's bottle shop, downtown raleigh.

aggressive pour to bring the head out, pours like motor oil.

a. opaque black, nice brownish head, which disappears fast, leaving heavy lace.

s. not as strong coffee aroma as you'd expect considering the coffee addition. smells like coffee though. faint amount of oak scent comes through as it warms up a bit.

t. sweet, but not too sweet. definitely taste the coffee/espresso. not overwhelmingly boozy considering abv. absolutely delicious though, and gets better as it approaches room temp. oak comes through ever so slightly as it warms as well.

m. chewy, thick, wonderful. perfectly carb'd

o. I wish I could drink this with breakfast as the bottle suggests, but I couldn't wait to dig in. overall, I think this beer is every bit as good as founders breakfast. if you like coffee stouts, this one is great, I hope to find it on draft to try again... and maybe get a couple bottles to age. all the yeti's I've had so far have been awesome, but this one may take the cake. would love to have some crime brûlée to pair, as the bottle suggests.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A-pours oily black with a nice sticky tan head

S-definitely a nice mix of oak and espresso as well as rich chocolate. Also a very noticeable hop presence as well, makes it a tad grassy. Good strong scent.

T-comes in with a great oak flavor along with a rich flavor of chocolate espresso. The oak is definitely most prominent here. It is long lasting with an awesome matching after-taste. Great flavors, nothing off.

M-thick and creamy with a dry finish

O-this has got to be one of the best easily obtainable stouts out there. I'm extremely impressed. The oak flavor is done so well, it's very prominent yet it isn't overdone. It's got so much flavor to it that I can imagine drinking this as a meal. Great drinkability, alcohol isn't noticeable

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

Split with Pwoods and Kels on 5/10/09 -- gotta love the generosity :) Poured into snifter glasses from the bottle.

Appearance: Pours near black; no light coming through this at all; firm 1 1/2 finger head that is mocha colored; looks thick and viscous; a thin and spotty lacing holds slightly to the glass.

Smell: Strong scent of espresso (as there very well should be) and strong rich dark chocolate and well-roasted malts; I would dare say this is a deep dark fruit (perhaps cherry - like the original yeti?) buried in there; just a little smokey as well. The smell is making very excited to drink this.

Taste: Wow - pretty much dominated by the espresso factor (like ground up beans were stirred directly into my glass) - amazing. Bittersweet chocolate is also very present; the wood is definitely present as well and comes across a bit smokey; firm presence of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick like a milkshake - very warm in the mouth, chest and breath; gums are left tingly; sits very thick in the mouth and leaves it a bit coated. Very nice overall.

Drinkability: The only factor that would lower the drinkability of this beer is the ABV as it clocks at 9.5% - but it so worth it. This was an amazing desert to a very well-cooked meal and I very much would have enjoyed a second helping (mostly because I wasn't driving).

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. First glance shows a very nice brownish tinted black color and thick khaki colored head that stays till the end; even though reduced only to a layer of carbonation bubbles by that point. Roast, maybe some ash, and of course the coffee dominate the nose. The espresso coffee is extremely upfront and noticeable on the taste buds mixing with roast and smokey ash as it finishes. Smooth, slick mouthfeel and quite easy to drink is what this brew has to offer. In the end, as a chocolate stout lover, I found the coffee too strong for my liking but I still really enjoyed indulging in this stout. So glad I found and had the chance to try it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on March 05, 2009.

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced an incredibly large & fluffy/billowy dark brown head that isnt going anywhere; its clinging to every inch of the sides of the glass as it barely dissipates.

(S)- Rich vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, raisin, butterscotch, & a spice I cant pinpoint; cinnamon?(Must be from the Oak). Simply gorgeous & wonderful. Just the tiniest hint of roasted coffee grounds.

(T)- Not much espresso in this, but has a great mildly sweet molasses & brown sugar maltiness that melds into a delicate dry oaky vanilla finish. Dynamic and silky smooth with no harshness; just a bit of roastedness in the middle.

(M)- One of the smoothest stouts I may have ever had. Fantastic alcohol integration & balance. Not too sweet, not too malty, not too bitter, just a perfect combination that is layered here and there.

(D)- Simply a remarkable stout! I am slightly disappointed that there isnt much espresso in this, but I quickly forgot that when I smelled and tasted this. Simply amazing! This bottle did not last long at all! Every Yeti I have had has been fantastic, but this one with almost a year of age on it is nearly orgasmic. I am excited to see what further aging will do to it. Now. . . where can I find a case?

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

I originally bought this beer for my cousin as he is a lover of imperial stouts and my beer store told me this one was a keeper and I trust so 1 is in the cellar now. So my review is as so...

A: black and rich, this beer could drown out the lights of heaven. Originally about .25" head but after a severe pour, no tilting, I finally find my head!(1.5" of beautiful chocolate color)

S: Definite coffee and roasted malts, they just have no way to even try to hide, espresso stout was the name and coffee wasn't an option. Upon being a bomber and a half in I find more fruitiness along the lines of dark tree fruit; ie... black cherry, plum, etc...

T: Like I said in aroma the espresso is no joke and the oak is almost impossible to trace. Also like I mentioned prior being about 30 ozs in now the oak is there, but subtly. After all being professionals as most BA's strive for, the fruitiness is there slightly, but I wouldn't say killed by the strong flavors of coffee and Imperial stout, to be completely honest they accentuate them.

M: A lingering flavor which I'm not sure should be typed here or in taste, alas it is my review so f*** off(JP!)! I'd say maybe slightly under whole milk for the weight, and a tangy acidity that grabs the inside of the cheeks. With my rating though it's obviously in a good way!

D: A good dessert beer, in many European countries they drink coffee or espresso at the end of a meal, probably would do very well with a very nicely charred smokey brisket(Texas style). I'd like to find this next to my cheesecake. Actually a pairing with something as rich as a classic cherry cheesecake would be perfect, but there are many other options out there, just choose something more dominant as the flavor does tend to linger. All in all an amazing beer and I cheers to the Great Divide with a Houblon Chouffe glass of their finest!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black, nut brown fluffy head over an inch, slow dissipation.

Nose is rich chocolate, coffee, caramel, oats and oak.

Tastes of light chocolate, caramel, and potent flavorful espresso coffee. The coffee is prominent but not acidic and comes across smoothly.

Full, thick body with creamy tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Fantastic, one of the best stouts I can think of. Hides its strength well, goes down smooth, a sipper that you have to fight gulping, which is rare in a stout. Would have this again and again and I hope to try the other variations soon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark black like oil, frothy brown head with great lacing

S - some oak, chocolate, sweat malt, but mostly coffee.

T - Lot's espresso bean with roasty malts, smooth chocolate. Well blended

M - Full body, good carbonation, smooth, nice hop finish

O - Wow, what a beer! A must try! Really Really good

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a 12 oz snifter.
A- motor oil with a dark khaki head, great lacing down the snifter.
S- espresso dominates with alcohol pushing through.
T- delicious. espresso upfront with a soft malted toffee sweetness and an alcohol warmth. the bitter espresso and the toffee sweetness dance back and forth on the tastebuds long after the sip
M- this is one thick creamy stout.
D- a nightcap sipper that i could have 3 of. this is by far one of my favorite stouts of any variety

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Served on draft at Blue Monk in small snifter glass. Dark Black with a small creme head, frothy like expresso.

Smell-Notes of burnt expresso and dark chocolate coming through.

Taste-surprisingly not boozy at all for 9.5ABV. The Expresso taste is there but not overwhelming, also the Oak taste is well balanced with the expresso coming through and they compliment each other perfectly. This was my first beer of the night and three days later I am still thinking about it.

Mouthfeel-nice finish, not overpowering and each time I felt a little more coming through.

Fantastic Beer for those that love Oak aged and or Expresso/Coffee beers. I found it to have an amazing drinkability for such a unique beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with almost an inch of dense, creamy brown foam. Great retention and lots of lace. Beautiful stout.

S: Really brings the espresso - coffee, sweet maltiness, more coffee, some oaky vanilla, and more coffee. Wonderful.

T: Follows the nose precisely, and deliciously. Lots of dry oak on the finish, and no noticeable booze. Fantastic.

M: Rich, full, sticky, and alive with explosively creamy carbonation. Lovely.

D: For the strength and intensity of flavor, this one goes down in a hurry.

Notes: Just as Oak Aged Yeti is a dramatic improvement over the regular version, the Espresso OA is an improvement over the simple OA. Big, rich, creamy, and full of coffee goodness, this is truly a world-class stout. I need to have a coffee stout tasting with this, Speedway, FBS, and Péché Mortel. I just love them so much more than either regular stouts or regular coffee.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bomber dated 1/10/12. poured into snifter.

A: pours jet black. nice tan head. fades after about minute to a nice tan ring. pretty good lacing.

S: chocolate, coffee, oak, vanilla, leather maybe? coffee is not as strong on the nose as i would have anticipated.

T: I was afraid the coffee would have faded considering the bottle is 13 months old. I was wrong. Very forward coffee. Lots of chocolate. slight vanilla (less than in oaked yeti in my opinion)

M: Very nice. Smooth, creamy, very well carbonated.

O: very good beer.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

My full review and pictures of the appearance and lacing is linked at the bottom, fresh off the tap to enhance the experience. Plus a poll so you can give feedback on your impressions. Blog is linked back to beeradvocate reviews.

Appearance: Deep copper head, with no daylight coming through. Deep black coloration.

Aroma: The espresso is certainly dominant, certainly has a breakfast hint to it. Vanilla and slightly smoked notes are discernible.

Taste: Intense espresso flavor. Very roasty, rich and malty. Hoppy, but subtle. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and very complex along the way.

Lacing: Uneven spiral down the glass, but pretty. The lacing is solid.

Finish: Surprisingly smooth considering the bold body. You get more of the oak-barrel flavor and vanilla notes prevailing in the end, which counteracts the intial hoppy character.

Overall: This is simply a fantastic beer. This certainly cracks my top 10 beers that I have had (I've tried many). The beer is very complex overall and has a high ABV, yet the alcohol is masked and the more interesting characteristics are prevalent in the body and finish. There really aren't many weaknesses in this beer, minus a slightly over the top espresso aroma. Still, this beer is a must have and I would order it every time.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company