2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,687 | Reviews: 951 | Show All Ratings:
Mayhem976

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Pours very black and syrupy, has a small dark brown head and hardly any fingers on the ol' glass.

S- A very earthy strong dark roast coffee smell with a small amount of hops.

T- Delicious! Obviously an over abundance amount of dark roast coffee finishes somewhat bitter but the bitterness comes from the strong coffee roast and not so much the hops.

M- Super thick and creamy, feels good on the palate.

D- This stout is exceptional! Creaminess, boldness flavor, and a strong alcohol kick, comfort level on this drink is very high. Amazing stout and it's local. Would definitely purchase another bottle ...or 50.

06-15-2009 01:58:53 | More by Mayhem976
aknight

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Bruery tulip. On first pour the beer appears thick and viscous with about a one inch head that dissipated shortly after the pour. The head has a nice stouty brown color to it. The beer smells of all malt, sweetness and some faint coffee aroma. This is a very smooth beer for 9.5%. The oak aging definitely helps to round it out a bit. This is a sweet beer but deceptively little alcohol taste comes through. The espresso hits you up front with a lingering malty finish with tastes of vanilla. The beer does not taste as viscous as it looks. This is a full bodied beer but it does not feel as thick and oily as I was expecting, There is a little bit of viscosity on the tongue, but not a lot. This beer is very drinkable for 9.5%. My beer was bottled on 4/2/10 (cheers for date stamps!), I am enjoying this fine beer almost seven months post bottling and if anything I think it was too soon. This is a beer that I think would only improve with some more time as the flavors round out and meld together. I will have to buy another bottle to age.

11-28-2010 22:41:58 | More by aknight
nhudson

Alabama

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought 3 bottles while in Atlanta this weekend and decided to drink one of them Saturday night. I couldn't find a good pint glass so I went with a coffee mug. Great choice for this beer. Appearance, what can I say about it, it just looks awesome in a coffee mug. My friends kept coming over and asking if it was coffee or beer. The head reminded me of what a nice espresso froth is supposed to look like. The beer itself is opaque black with maybe a slight brown hue to it. Smell, to me was of a nice coffee/espresso and chocolate and maybe a slight toffee note. I get little to no hop bitterness with this beer which I would say is do to the espresso being there. Taste, this has to be in my top 10 list of beers that I have drank. Takes like a mocha cappuccino almost, very chocolate and milk texture with a hint of oak and vanilla. The taste is very complex but with each sip you find something new. Mouthfeel, very heavy and full bodied. The beer seems like it would stain your entire mouth and I could have sworn my tongue turned brown because of it. Drinkability, very drinkable and warming. If I could afford it and my liver could take the abuse I would switch this out with my morning coffee and wouldn't be able to notice. Even though its served cool the alcohol warms you up from the inside. I love the oaked yeti, but this has taken its place on my list as what to look for when I go on a beer run. I can't wait to see what this beer is like with some age on it as well.

03-16-2009 15:29:06 | More by nhudson
aaronxsubaru

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Very dark. Can't see lacing. Little to no head light ring of foam.
Smell Coffee and roasted notes.

Taste bold very much esspresso and hops. After taste is almost all coffee. keep in mind this is espresso not coffee, and the boldness and complexity comes through as well.

Mouthfeel. Can't decide reminds me of ipa with a shot of espresso, lots of hops. Hits easy then flavors explode and go to a mild after taste that sticks in your mouth for a long time.

Drinkability? The flavor sticks so heavy I can't say I could take more than one or 2 of these.

Overall not sure, it's a niche thing. Def interesting. I could see this being something I crave on the rare occasion but not something I'd drink often.

06-12-2009 03:57:29 | More by aaronxsubaru
schinebd

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Pours blackish with a dark brown head. Good lacing. No surprises, good or bad.

S - Vanilla, chocolate and a surprisingly muted coffee smell.

T - The first second of this two of this beer are fantastic. A great blend of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and bourbon punch the tongue. But then, before I can begin to contemplate the intense and complex flavors, they completely fade to strong coffee and very hoppy finish. A little out of balance. I do have to say that as the beer gets warmer the initial taste lingers longer.

M - Probably the weakest feature of this beer...Maybe its because I'm having this after a week of drinking of KBS, but it seems a little watery - only a little, but still...

D - The ABV coupled with the unbalanced bitter finish make one enough.

03-30-2009 01:05:33 | More by schinebd
frothyhead

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a Great Divide Yeti snifter, deep chocolate brown with a nice three finger mocha head. Melts to a ring with nice lacing as I (quickly) empty the glass. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate with a bit of a roasted coffee/espresso bitterness. Smells absolutely delicious.

Mouth is full bodied with medium carbonation and silky smooth feel with a little bit of a dry edge as it fades away.

Oh lordy, this is one decadent and amazing beer. I love the original Yeti, and Oak Aged Yeti, but I've only had a small tasting of the Espresso Yeti at the 2008 GABF. I remember liking it. But now I love it. Huge chocolate and malt ball taste. Roasted with that Espresso bitterness and a mild hop presense. Sweet and bitter and milky smooth.

This is extremely drinkable for a big stout. Could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm drawn to sip after sip and watching the glass empty too fast.

This is a great beer.

04-10-2009 03:04:33 | More by frothyhead
tsatem

3.8/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a snifter. Bottle on/best by date is indiscernible, but I think it's pretty fresh. I love the yeti labels, which is why I first bought the base beer years ago.

A: Motor oil, viscous black with a rather dark brown and persistent two finger head. Body is as about as dark as they come.

S: Delicious. Coffee is prominent, of course. Rather bitter espresso with lots of chocolate. Wonderful roasty aromas. Charred oak.

T: Right in line with the nose. Very bitter. Roasted tobacco. Lots of wood as it warms - I could barely discern the oak notes at first, and they became pretty dominant eventually. The eventual overall taste is what I would imagine a tobacco leaf to taste like, from the combination of tobacco with the oak and some spices.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation, and extremely (as an understatement) dry.

O: This is a really delicious beer, but the bomber was a little bit too much for me and the flavors became overpowering. I enjoyed the first sip far more than the last.

03-23-2011 02:49:12 | More by tsatem
Armand

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Roast, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit notes. Woody and earthy.

A: Opaque black with a creamy copper head.

F: Vanilla. Some woodiness which may be masquarading as hops. Sweetness and roasty.

M: Medium carbonation which keeps the full body texture off the tongue and fills the mouth. Very creamy.

Overall: A very pleasing marriage of dark roast and coffee flavors and aromas with oak. Very complex, with the coffee aroma that keeps this unique beer drinkable...if you love coffee and chocolate try this one.

06-28-2011 01:27:04 | More by Armand
diechipmunk

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

I expected great things, but was disappointed. I like big stouts and coffee/chocolate is usually good.

The aroma was OK, but nothing mouth watering. I didn't get much coffee scent, I could pick it out if I tried. The chocolate was there.

Poured into a pint glass. It was black with 3 fingers of head. Looked great.

The taste was disappointing. Lead off was a heavy dose of sweetness, similar to ST Choklat, sweet, but not as rich or balanced. The middle was kind of bland, the sweet faded rapidly to be followed up by a sharply contrasting bitterness; not at all complimentary IMO.

I took it out of the fridge an hour before serving, I though that would be enough. As it continued to warm up after another hour in the glass, the espresso presented itself a bit more, still not all that much.

Not to keen on the drinkability. I never did get used to the stark contrast between big sweet start and huge bitter finish, with the hole in the middle.

09-24-2009 18:34:30 | More by diechipmunk
Brewbro000

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured on tap at Apex in Portland - 10oz

A: pitch black with nearly no head but massive lacing of dark tan foam
S: dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, chocolate and very coffee forward
T: Sweet with an initial coffee presence, carbonation is mild but good and the alcohol only shows through slightly.
M/D: velvet with minimal carb bite. Easily alcoholic, I couldn't drink much more than this 10oz glass. Awesome beer.

03-04-2011 01:08:51 | More by Brewbro000
hsway

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured this somewhat aggressively from a 22 ounce bottle into two large red wine glasses. Shared with my loved one, which is always nice.

a: Deep dark almost blackish color with a medium brown head - much like the color of the foam that appears on the top of french press coffee, coincidentally.

s: Coffee, coffee, coffee. Interesting sensation because it smelled very much like a cup of coffee, but it wasn't generating the smell by steam/evaporation.

t: Great. Again, the coffee is very strong, so much so that the oakiness is not too intense, which is fine with me.

m: This was not quite as syrupy as I expected - in fact, it was less so than the regular Yeti, which I wasn't expecting. Still very round and full-bodied.

d: I wouldn't want to drink too much of this, but that's always my preference with imperial stouts. A little dab'll do ya.

One note, I think this beer may contain caffeine - I had a bit of trouble sleeping after this one, but it was worth it.

03-12-2009 17:46:38 | More by hsway
Gunslinger711

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into a goblet.

Smell: strong coffee/sweet espresso.

Appearance: thick brown syrup, what little head that formed dissipated quickly.

Mouthfeel: a bit harsh honestly, I was expected a little smoother, a little easier feel.

The taste: sweet start of an espresso that gives way quickly to a burnt coffee taste followed by the bite of alcohol. The taste was a bit harsher.

I guess I was expecting a thick, dark beer with a coffee/esperesso taste but a little bit smoother to go down.

01-25-2011 02:31:40 | More by Gunslinger711
ediaz

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into huna snifter. Bottle date jan 9 2012.

A: dark as night with a light coffee colored head about 1 finger. Finishes with a good amount of lacing, a great looking beer.

S: coffee, wood, chocolate, caramel, sweet, light alcohol.

T: more oak than anything, followed by dark coffee and dark chocolate notes. Perhaps dark fruits. Caramel comes through at the end. At 9.5% it hides the booze well. Great tasting beer.

M: heavy with comfortable smooth carbonation. Great feel to match the big taste.

O: a great beer that I have been holding for a while and it didn't let me down. Refreshing and tasty, a bit filling but any beer with this depth should be. Recommended

07-04-2012 04:42:54 | More by ediaz
RacerX5k

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was a great 32 growler this weekend and much better than the one bottle I had last year. Poured into my 8 oz stout glass produced big mocha head with tons of chocolate up front, vanilla notes in the middle and the coffee notes on the finish. Poured tighter into my 4 oz taster and or 5 oz snifter opened with huge coffee, with the vanilla and chocolate finish. So either way I enjoyed both and this is a chocolate coffee bomb. Terrific mouthfeel, this 32 dissapeared in no time at all. Overall outstanding.

02-10-2014 13:53:17 | More by RacerX5k
mkorpal

Colorado

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses to be shared with the room mate. Thick, midnight black liquid sat beneath a frothy brown head. Head retained the entire time, and left behind a massive amount of brown lacing, to the point that I wondered if I could ever get the glass clean again. Awesome looking beer, to say the least.

Smell is of extreme coffee, mixing with some chocolate, and a healthy dose of hops. A little bit of oak mixes in as well, but it's definitly been hidden by all of the other dimensions.

Taste is of very bitter and tannic espresso, milk chocolate, more hop flavor, and subtle vanilla. The expresso, again takes it over.

Mouth feel is thick, but very dry. The bitterness and espresso combine to make for a very bitter beer that dry's out your pallet. In fact, I felt this may be one of the most bitter brews I have ever had. This brought down the drinkability for me, since it isn't something I really want out of my stout.

In the end, I felt like there were too many dimensions built into the beer. The oak and stout flavors ended up being muted while the espresso and hops too over. It was still good, but I prefer the normal or oak aged yeti. Either way, I was wired after this brew.

09-29-2010 20:37:57 | More by mkorpal
oreo

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Found this at a store in bloomington il. Split a bomber with my friend (drewba) poured into a snifter.

Pours dark and thick with an awesome dark tan head. Stayed for a little bit then went bye bye. little to no lacing.

When I first cracked the bottle I got a huge whiff of hops. Once I poured into the glass, the coffee just completely took over. Huge coffee aroma with a little chocolate and some hops.

Tastes just like it smells. Huge amounts of bitter coffee with a hint of chocolate. No booze at all. Really this beer is like drinking 10% coffee. Pretty awesome if you ask me. The only downfall is that if you were wanting to taste anything else, you can't. My palate is crap and I only get coffee.

This is the kind of beer you would either drink at 6am waiting in line for DLD or if you were falling asleep while drinking to perk you back up. I could have easily drank a bomber of it.

01-11-2011 02:06:56 | More by oreo
BSK_ONE

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful dark brown to black body with a fingers worth of espresso colored head which swirl to leave the most interesting to patterns to stare at.

S: Big coffee and espresso scents upfront, then chocolate enters the picture. Finally the oak finishes it off.

T: Coffee and espresso

M: Warm and all consuming. Great mouthfeel.

O: Wonderful!

02-25-2014 03:30:58 | More by BSK_ONE
mykie73

Oregon

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a) black w/ brown lacing w/ large bubbles; looks a little thin compared to Yet which i don't know if i fully understand why

s) best part of this beer. wonderful dark chocolate and espresso. want to smell some other flavors but love it for what it is

t) delicious chocolate initially and then finishes with coffee all the way to the back of throat and then chocolate aftertaste. dessert beer

m) smooth, drys out mouth a bit. no stickyness. feels light.

d) I will revisit but need to split a bommer w/ someone. can not drink all night.

best offering from great divide w/ out a doubt

04-04-2009 20:00:29 | More by mykie73
JamesMcPolin

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

Dark and delicious. Great head retention, ok lacing but gotta love that deep mocha colored head. A nice coffee tang comes through before the oak does in the nose but seems not quite as complex as it really is upon the first sip. Drinking it almost perfectly at proper serving temp but feel like letting it warm to see just how interesting this brew is gonna get. A very tasty brew. All the usual suspects are there to comfort me; vanilla, oak, coffee, plenty of roasted malt & even some hops. Great body. The astringency that comes with the bitter coffee notes is really well balanced. Overall excellent mouthfeel for the style I'd have to say. A must try for lovers of oaked stouts, coffee stouts, vanilla porters and the like. Oh almost forgot, alcohol no where to be found in the nose, taste or mouthfeel. If it was 10.5 or 11% that might be a complement, but a 9.5% ahhhh, honestly I think there's room in this delicious brew for another couple hundred pounds of malt. Then again I'm always a fan of going bigger so take it for what it's worth.

02-14-2011 19:44:13 | More by JamesMcPolin
ilikebeer03

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bomber dated 1/10/12. poured into snifter.

A: pours jet black. nice tan head. fades after about minute to a nice tan ring. pretty good lacing.

S: chocolate, coffee, oak, vanilla, leather maybe? coffee is not as strong on the nose as i would have anticipated.

T: I was afraid the coffee would have faded considering the bottle is 13 months old. I was wrong. Very forward coffee. Lots of chocolate. slight vanilla (less than in oaked yeti in my opinion)

M: Very nice. Smooth, creamy, very well carbonated.

O: very good beer.

02-13-2013 21:57:16 | More by ilikebeer03
PPOmaha

Nebraska

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: roast, slightly burnt coffee. Milk chocolate and creamy notes. No green pepper which I hate in coffee beers.

Appearance: Black opaque, too dark for highlights. Dark brown rocky head that lingers for several minutes.

Taste: Chocolate malt and roast. Definite kilned malt flavor. Sweetness balances well with some assertive bitterness that still stands up to the malt bill.

Mouthfeel: medium heavy body, medium carbonation, coffee is very drying. Sweetness and mouthfeel is not over the top.

Overall: coffee forward imperial stout that is very complex and very drinkable. The price point for this beer makes it a great value.

04-04-2014 04:23:23 | More by PPOmaha
Darien

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a pint glass and built up a 2 finger mocha colored head that disappeared quickly with no traces of lacing, jet black. Smells just like the name implies, heavy expresso presence followed by roasted malts, oak flavor lingers in the background and is pretty subtle. Extreme expresso flavor, a little too much for me but not bad, followed by a well pronounced roasted malt flavor backed by a little bit of oakiness. Medium bodied, medium carbonated beer that goes down pretty smoothly. Very easy to drink but the expresso taste is a little strong for me.

06-24-2010 13:00:49 | More by Darien
elliot23

Montana

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A. Like a deep black night. Nothing gets through this one. Very little head, but it's a dark burnt caramel color.

S. Espresso beans and bittersweet chocolate are very strong. Some milk chocolate as well for the sweetness. Roasted malts and a little hops are also in the back of this nose.

T. Very rich mocha and toasty malts. Slight tinge of the barrel aging on the back end along with the bitterness.

M. Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer of this gravity. Nice thickness. Very long and lingering bitterness... similar to drinking straight espresso.

D. My favorite of the Yeti beers thus far. Great Divide did well here.

07-13-2010 04:07:43 | More by elliot23
diomz88

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Smells great, right away the coffee and chocolate, toasty, nutty, vanilla, with hints of caramel. Alot of things going on in this beer. Black, dark black if there is such a thing. Head is brownish tan, frothy, with lacing at the end. This is definitely a very good imperial stout with a deeper taste on the coffee, lots of it. What you smell is what you will taste. Bitterness is high but is great with this kind of beer. Full bodied, creamy, malty, intense beer. This is a great imperial stout, next time will try with breakfast!

01-02-2011 08:05:35 | More by diomz88
atowle25

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

A - pours black as night, with a small brown head that sticks around. Really nice looking brew.

S - smells like coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. A slight hint of oak and booze as well.

T - Pretty much exactly how it smells, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts. The booze is a little bit stronger in the taste...finishes very bitter..not sure if I care for the finish all that much.

M - This is a very viscous brew. Feels similar to how I imagine motor oil would feel. Slight carbonation, but not much.

D - Plenty of flavor, but not very drinkable. The harsh finish definitely detracts a bit. This is the type of beer you want to sip slowly.

I tried to share this beer with my girlfriend and it was a bit much for her so I'm left to finish off the bomber..this might take me a while.

02-20-2011 03:02:30 | More by atowle25