Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I love the Oak Aged Yeti and I love coffee stouts so my hopes are high for this one....

A--Pours a pitch black, I couldn't find any highlights even when holding up to the light. Very thick pour, the head was about 1 1/2 fingers tall and a very creamy, light brown froth. I actually expected an even darker head. Thin but clingy lace down the glass

S--Mostly oak and chocolate with the espresso surprisingly taking a backseat....wait a minute, a few more smells yield even more espresso, having a tough time picking out the wood that was present upon first pour but the chocolate is still there. This one is playing games with me.

T--Whoa, coffee bomb right away. I actually didn't expect it since the smell of it was more balanced. Second sip, whoa...the oak comes rushing at my taste buds. Where is the overwhelming coffee taste from just 30 seconds ago? Third sip...ok, now I'm getting more of a balance. This beer doesn't make sense to me so far (in a good way). Not getting as much roasted malt flavor as I do with the original Yeti, although it is definitely present. The hops are huge in this one though. Warming up a bit I'm getting traces of bourbon, but not too much. 9% is hidden but does make its presence known. I'm actually thought the coffee would persist throughout the whole thing, but as this beer warms it begins to taste nearly identical to the Oak Aged Yeti. I would have to try them side by side to spot the difference, I've only had that beer once so my memory isn't perfect.

M--As creamy as whole milk, coats the mouth with every sip.

D--With a beer this thick and high in ABV you are never going to want more than one, but I'm having trouble letting this beer sit in front of me without taking another sip. Very drinkable for its style.

Overall I am definitely NOT let down by this beer. Yeti is good, Oak Aged Yeti is great, and now Espresso Oak Aged Yeti is amazing. I will be seeking it out again for next years release.

alcstradamus, Mar 25, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -18%

theminutemen, Mar 24, 2012

jakea, Sep 22, 2012

cnbrown313, May 07, 2013

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Into a Duvel glass, pours dark as night black, completely opaque, with a one inch thick creamy tan head. Slowly dissipating, the head leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a fair amount of complexity to it. A lot of roasted grains ground it, while notes of vanilla bean, oak, and espresso obviously, but nothing stands out besides those on the label.

Taste is much more nuanced. It leads with roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, the vanilla and oak approach through the middle, espresso is tempered but there, the ending has traces of hop oils mixed with oak saturated roasted caramels. The mouth is delightful, velvety smooth while retaining enough carbonation to keep it lively, full body and slick and sticky but not overbearing (even at nearly 10% abv). Its a great sipper, but could indeed go well with a hearty breakfast (as per the bottle), or perhaps a trip to the cabin as an accompaniment to a relaxing evening by the fire. Whatever your motivation, its an excellent beer.

objectivemonkey, Jul 08, 2010

megamass, May 26, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Cloaked_Phantom, Jul 19, 2014

DrMindbender, Jul 15, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A: I haven't ever seen a beer from a bottle cascade before. Now I have. I thought that it was under-carbonated because at first it poured like used motor oil. I was wrong. It formed a massive 4 inch cascading head and eventually fell to about 1.5 inches.

S: Deep roasted coffee and sweet malt.

T: Tons of super rich roasted espresso with some sweet malt behind. I don't get any hop flavor but perhaps some of the bitterness comes from malt. Kind of rare for Great Divide but I'm glad they went this way.

M: Actually pretty smooth for how roasty and bitter it is. Thick bodied.

D: Perhaps a touch too much roast but still good. Coffee is good.

drseamus, Mar 21, 2009

Lanstrum, Mar 31, 2013
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

served on-tap @ Great Divide Brewery, Denver, CO into a tulip.

Pours a deep black color. I mean, it is dark-ass brown but not much brown is showing through the cloak of darkness, not even when held to the light of this sunny Denver day. The remarkably tan head was two fingers; pretty big I'd say, and much bigger than I'd likely get pouring from a bottle. Lacing never developed; the foam slid easily down the glass leaving no trace of having been there. You can't ask for impy stouts to look much better than this.

You first smell, of course, the coffee. It lies on the Maxwell House side of coffee aromas as opposed to a premium roast. It isn't dominant. The coffee begins after a few minutes to take on a sour, acrid tone. This is due to the amount of hops present in the beer; it seems that Great Divide didn't skimp on the hops here. Lots of grassy hop aromas cut through the roasted malts.

The taste of Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti pretty much follows the nose. The coffee is a bit acerbic because of how it melds with the hops and the woody, drying oak barrel flavor. It is heavily malty; you don't have to worry about the hops "taking over" this beer if you're not a hophead. Everything is in respectable balance. Good beer.

I loved the mouthfeel of this beer on-tap! It wasn't on nitro or anything, just straight CO2. It was thick and rich and everything you want in a big stout beer. Drinkability was great too. Now, understand that this is a sipper. It took me close to an hour to polish off my full pour. But knowing that the beer isn't too heavy and it doesn't get boring or watery.

This is a splendid imperial stout and probably the best Great Divide beer I've ever had.

Reaper16, Apr 09, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Hophead717, Aug 23, 2013

cyrushire, Jan 18, 2013
4.71/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bomber dated 1/10/12. poured into snifter.

A: pours jet black. nice tan head. fades after about minute to a nice tan ring. pretty good lacing.

S: chocolate, coffee, oak, vanilla, leather maybe? coffee is not as strong on the nose as i would have anticipated.

T: I was afraid the coffee would have faded considering the bottle is 13 months old. I was wrong. Very forward coffee. Lots of chocolate. slight vanilla (less than in oaked yeti in my opinion)

M: Very nice. Smooth, creamy, very well carbonated.

O: very good beer.

ilikebeer03, Feb 13, 2013

bernat1971, Sep 15, 2013

stealth, Feb 23, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

A - standard stout black with a chocolate milk colored head. strong lacing.

S - roasted malts, chocolate upfront followed by faint coffee, but not getting much on the expresso. smells like regular yeti, which is very good nonetheless.

T - very smooth flavor, the coffee is definitely present and tastes very much like a cafe mocha. slightly bitter, and a tiny alcohol bite. I'm not picking up much "oakiness" but that's more of an observation than a complaint. very nice.

M - very nice mouthfeel, as with the taste, reminiscent of a cafe mocha.

D - very drinkable, incredible smooth. the coffee flavor is a nice twist on regular yeti, if that's what you are in the mood for that day.

Blanco, Oct 16, 2010

moonknight31, Oct 27, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -36.1%

Pour is like every other stout known to man. Pitch black, caramel head.

OK the smell has hops everywhere. Theres an unexpected hop presence in the smell. Sweet chocolate as well.

Hm. Theres a ton going on. Its so bitter. Woody bitterness, earthy hop presence. Lesson learned, hops and chocolate do not go well together. All the flavors are there that would make this thing great: chocolate, stout, bitterness, and oak, but they dont mesh together.

Exhales produce a hop bitterness that I dont really want.

Honestly, it just has this odd kind of overly bitter feeling that reminds of a liquor that I cant get rid of. It seems unbalanced and a mess. I really wanna like this thing, but I just cant. Its like a cheap red wine, thats the only thing I can think of. Bad Pinot Noir or Cabernet.

VncentLIFE, Apr 27, 2012