Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout | Great Divide Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,040 | Ratings: 3,649
3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Served from a 22 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A: wow. pours like motor oil into the glass. Visible viscosity. Opaque black, no hint of color. Head is a very dark tan and pours about 3 fingers thick, and quickly dissipates.

S: mix of french-roasted coffee, char, and dark chocolate. A little woody. Also some herbal hop aroma that complements the above nicely.

T: charred wood dominates but mixes in with coffee beans and a little background chocolate. Definitely an alcohol flavor, like a thick stout laced with a fine Scotch. These flavors dominate and there is a very slight hint of dark dried fruit but not really much. Some tanniny wood flavor in the later stages.. The finish puckers a bit with the dry alcohol, a very firm hop bitterness, and a substantial but not overwhelming oak flavor.

M: oily, chewy, and heavy. The alcohol definitely warms the mouth (and the belly). Somewhat puckering.

D: share with a friend if possible, and pair with a creamy dessert (even something as simple as vanilla ice cream) for a nice contrast. After a few sips I definitely can feel it. Would definitely serve this as a closer in a flight, and I will also seek out the other oak-aged Yeti variations.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Deep black with a beautiful tan head that leaves some decent lacing.

S - Coffee grounds, roasted malts a little molasses and some licorice. I can detect a slightly citrusy aroma presumably from the hops as well as some mild pine notes.

T - Delicious. The coffee flavor really builds as the liquid in the glass diminishes. Roasted malts, dark chocolate and mild licorice are present with a good amount of bitterness that really made this one enjoyable for me. There is a fruity/citrus taste present that clashes with the other flavors, but becomes less notable with each sip.

M - Smooth and silky. Medium bodied.

D - This is a great beverage, but filling. Not too sweet with a nice coffee flavor, but a couple of these and I'm stuffed.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked this up at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids.

Ink black with a crown brown sugar. Head is mammoth but recedes leaving globs along the side of the glass.

Toasted coconut and fermented prunes on the nose. Big heavy notes here. Dark fruits and some bitter cocoa fudgey notes as well.

Sweet fudge brownies are apparent in the taste. Cocoa and coffee, mocha if you will. Bittersweet chocolate but a nice fudgey round taste all over.

Slightly overwhelming at first but once you get a grasp it is smooth and round versions of all the mentioned flavors. Big big coffee taste on aftertaste, but not overly bitter.

Quite a fantastic beer, well worth a buy.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from bomber into Kentucky Ale snifter.
A- a great looking stout! Dark as asphalt with a one finger dark khaki head that settles into a scattered thin cap. Web lacing surrounds the glass.

S- I'm guessing this is what coffee beans would smell like if dipped in chocolate. I wish it was more pungent but what is there smells very enticing.

T- starts off with some milk chocolate then a blast of coffee. Dark fruits appear briefly but the coffee obviously takes center stage. Very well balanced with sweet chocolate and bitter coffee.

M- great mouthfeel that is full and perfectly carbonated. Nothing distracting just a nice full heavy feel. Just how I prefer My stouts.

D- finished off a whole bomber by myself and I the only way I can tell its 9.5% is BC I'm a little buzzed. Alcohol is no where in sight when your enjoying only when You're finished!

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber from Bridgetown Beerhouse. Poured into a Deschutes snifter. Bottled 12/20/2011.

A- Pours an opaque black with a huge three-finger, dark mocha head. The head looks very creamy. Has a slight viscous appearance. Nice sticky lacing. Head dissipates to a thin creamy cap with thick ring around the glass.

S- A big roasty aroma with dark chocolate, sweet caramel, oak and subtle vanilla notes. The espresso really helps take this yeti up a notch. Freshly roasted coffee/espresso help round this aroma out. Very sublte hop character hangs in the background.

T- Wow, hello coffee. Lots of roasted coffee/espresso pops out here. The malts give this beer a burnt, roasty character. An underlying dark chocolate flavor coats the palate for a second. It all finishes out with a mild bitterness from the hops.

M- Medium-thick body with just enough carbonation. Big, rich mouthfeel. The alcohol's presence is limited.

O- Another great Yeti variation. While not my favorite variation, this is well worth grabbing a bottle or two of, especially if you are a fan of espresso/coffee stouts. A big, bold stout with plenty of roastiness combined with bitter espresso and dark chocolate.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

650 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Bottle reads: "Bottled On: Feb 13, 2009"

A - Incredibly dark and thick black body with only the slightest hint of brown on the edges. Head is a rich brown, looks ike the color of just-stirred frothy chocolate milk.

S - Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, malted milk, and a touch of warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.

T - All of the above, with only a hint of sour notes from the wood and coffee. The oak flavors are a nice addition here, rounding out the profile a bit. Despite the fact that this brew is young, all of the flavors are very well-integrated. I'd be very curious to see how this batch develops with age. The finish is long, both sweet and savory, and delicious.

M - Smooth and creamy, with just the right amount of bite and tang. The chocolate and coffee flavors are so assertive that they seem to press up against the roof of your mouth as you swallow.

D - This is an extremely well-crafted brew. There are many layers of subdued complexity here, not unlike a well-made cup of espresso. A real winner - just perfect for slow sipping on a contemplative evening.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled on 4/2/10. Poured into my New Belgium glass

Very dark and opaque out of the bottle. Forms about an inch of caramel brown head.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, some bitter chocolate on the nose

The taste is dominated upfront by the bitterness of the coffee, maybe the espresso coming through? Finishes a bit softer, but no one would mistakenly call this beer sweet.

The sourness/bitterness of the coffee really upends the mouthfeel for me. I do find it more enjoyable as it warms, though.

This, as many stouts, suffers in the drinkability department for me. It is certainly a sipper and the strength of the coffee makes me more likely to have enjoyed a 12oz better, if there was such a thing.

Overall a solid offering, I'd be interested to try the chocolate version, maybe it would add a little sweetness.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

bottle dated 12/10/2010 poured into snifter on 05/05/2011.
Pours black with a dark brown head. Creamy, great retention, and leaves good lacing. Instant smells of coffee, chocolate, and some dark fruit. Taste follows- sweet but in a good way. Some oak, roast, and a touch of hops are also present. Full bodied, low/medium carbonation, and a creamy mouthfeel. Fantastic beer- I must buy more ASAP.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pitch black. Poured two finger khaki head. Head lasted for a little bit and left some decent lacing. looks a lot like other impy stouts

Very smokey. Tons of coffee and roasted malts. Booze is masked incredibly well.

Mellow esspresso but very heavy on the oak and smoke. Nice bitter roasted malts. Just like in the nose, the booze is masked very well. Nice finish of cocoa.

Pretty heavy, but very smooth. Chewy with mellow carbonation and a clean finish.

I felt that the espresso flavor could have been a bit more, but it was covered by a bit too much of the oakyness. Other than that, it was still a very enjoyable brew and I highly recommend it.

3.31/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a snifter from a 22oz bottled on 4/2/2010.

Nice half inch mocha colored head. Tar black color which is common for an imperial stout. Brown lacing with good retention.

Smell of roasted espresso coffee beans. Not too much going on. No rich aromas here.

Taste is extreemly disappointing for a beer with espresso in its name. Bitter tastes of 2 day old coffee. It would probably be a better beer if it had more hops, slightly sweeter and stronger oak notes.

Too bitter for this to be drinkable. This may have passed its prime. This lacks the balance of a coffee infused, oak aged RIS.

I would try again if I found a fresh bottle this spring.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

My unofficial 90th review! (I have a handful in my notes that I haven't gotten around to posting.)

22oz. poured into broad mouth glass

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown but sits black in the glass with an inviting half inch light brown head. Not much head retention but nice lacing.

Smell: I could smell this from a foot away. The smell is fantastic lots of heavy chocolate aromas mixing with earthy hops and more than just a touch of coffee.

Taste: Hm. I had this not too long ago for the first time and I was floored. Something is a bit off in comparison to last time. All the flavors I remember; chocolate, coffee, herbal and citrus hops, hazelnut, and vanilla from the oak aging are there but they're slightly skewed. It's a lot more obviously oak aged and upping the wood and bourbon like qualities. What's a shame though is for some reason the amalgamation of all these flavors is producing kind of a rubbery taste. As it warms is seems to lose it, but this still doesn't taste exactly like what I remember. I do love how bitter it is, it balances out the sweet nicely. It's not that it's not good, I know when I first tried it I thought it was delicious, it's just a little weird.

Mouthfeel: Smooth over the tongue, and sticks around in your mouth. Bitterness makes each sip refreshing and carbonation is right on target.

Drinkability: Higher than some extreme imperial stouts and I'm having a pretty easy time getting through the bottle, but it's still a monster.

Overall: I'm hoping this was just an off bottle or my taste buds are messed up right now because when I first had this I was in heaven. It was like drinking espresso ice cream, which was a good thing. I'm not going to let this bad experience with it mess with my grading too much because I know what I first tasted and I know that it was excellent. Pick this up, see for yourself.

*Note: As this brew warms up it's getting more and more like what I remember so maybe it was just a little too cold at first.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Boulevard snifter. Bottle was dated 04/02/2010.

A: This beer pours coffee black with a thin chocolate brown colored head. The head dissipated fairly quickly.

S: Smells like dark roast coffee that has been sitting in a pot on a burner for just a little too long. I'm also picking up a little bit of chocolate and a hint of bitter hops.

T: Dark roast coffee is the predominate flavor, but I'm getting a little bit of chocolate up front also. My wife took a sip and, after thinking for a second, said that it tastes like drinking a cup of pure coffee grounds and therefore it was delicious. I've never tried straight coffee grounds and since she's the coffee drinker, I'll take her word for it. A hint of oak is in there too, but it's definitely overpowered by the coffee flavor.

M: Medium to full bodied. Slightly creamy with mild carbonation. Finishes dry and slightly bitter as a result of the coffee.

D: The alcohol is very well hidden, which makes it easier to drink. The bitterness of the coffee does, however, reduce drinkability ever so slightly.

Overall, I enjoyed the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. I like coffee as much as the next guy, but it almost got to be a bit much as it overpowered other scents and tastes. I don't regret buying the bottle, but I don't know if I'd rush out and buy another. There are several other imperial stouts that I enjoy more.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

A-A dark as night beer, a perfect color for an Imperial. Very impressive dark brown head.

S-The smell was somewhat disappointing. It wasn't terrible but i expected a great chocolate aroma but instead it was more of a hint of chocolate.

T- The chocolate is definetly prominet in this beer, but definitely not over done. Was expecting more espresso flavor, which in turn probably made this Imperial somewhat sweet

M-The beer sat wonderfully. It was heavy but not overpowering. Very impressive.

O- Very good beer. I would prefer more presence of espresso but i still found it very enjoyable and will look forward to my next one.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

**This is a year old review of this beer

A- a nice thick pour with pitch black color; minimal lacing with a dark tan head that disappears fairly fast

S- surprisingly still has quite a bit of espresso and oak in the aroma but definitely faded; hints of dark chocolate of course

T- really good...the oak is still present after sitting for a year and it starts out to be a bit "oaky" but as it warms up it really fades into a great balance of the oak, with it's vanilla flavor, a tiny bit of chocolate covered cherry with some non-bitter espresso flavor and dark chocolate; the hops are still there to make sure it's not overly sweet; the oak really gives it a nice toasted flavor that you don't find in a regular imperial stout

M- decent mouthfeel, I wish it was a bit thicker, but it's still really nice; the aftertaste is good with no harsh oak flavor that lingers

D- overall it's a great, fairly complex stout, with very little detection of it's 9.5%; I haven't had this beer fresh so I'm not sure how strong the oak flavor is, but with a year on it it's really good

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Black as the night, with a lighter brown head. Great lacing all around the glass, and good head retention for the abv.

On the nose I get coffee, cocoa, some vanilla and also hints of charcoal or burnt wood.

The elements all come through nicely. There is certainly a great whack of coffee and roasty notes in there. I can also get the oak, for sure. This nice chocolate flavour comes in after that, but gets swept away by a firm bitterness and roast flavour. Very much reminiscent of cocoa rather than chocolate.

Goes down a treat, a lovely winter nightcap. I really like this beer. Overall, I prefer a slightly sweeter, more luxurious imperial stout to this. The flavours are balanced well, for sure, but I'd just like them to indulge with the chocolate flavours a little more. Totally personal taste, of course.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from bomber to a stout glass.

Pours a pitch black color, darker than midnight. Thin head that dissipates into fine bubbles, light to medium brown in color. Lacing remains about one finger as the stout is consumed.

Aroma is coffee, roasted chocolate and almost burnt caramel.

Taste is roasted chocolate and almost-burnt coffee. Might be espresso, but I've never had any.

Mouthfeel is heavy with an alcohol bite that quickly disappears into a semi-smooth cream. Hangs around for a lengthy period of time.

A well-done imperial stout. This is my second of the 2011 brewing. I am looking forward to another.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

In a tulip:

Has a creamy and thick light brown head over jet black body. Decent webby lacing is left on the glass which is notably sticky. Smells include chocolate, vanilla, coffee, alcohol, and a bit of oak. Taste presents with tons of coffee bitter from start to finish. Wonderful vanilla sweetness at the beginning, quite a bit of dark chocolate in the finish. Aftertaste is predominantly coffee bitter. Perfect carbonation and excellent velvety body. Drinkability is reduced by heavy coffee bitter.

Overall: Espresso Oak Aged Yeti is absolutely wonderful - but it may be more coffee than it is beer. Whatever it is, I like it. Aging one for later to see how the flavors mellow.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Pours black with a reddish brown head. Nice lacing. Head consists of small tightly knit bubbles. Very nice.

S- Espresso, chocolate, liquor, dark fruit (plumbs, raisins), licorice.

T- Chocolate, liquor, espresso, sweet and sugary. Roast balances out most of the sweetness. Dark fruit becomes more and more prominent as I drink (and as it warms). It also becomes quite tart which I am not liking.

M- Lighter side of full bodied. Silky. Low carbonation. Feels lighter as it warms.

D- Very drinkable beer that goes down very easily, even for an imperial stout.

Overall, significantly better than the chocolate yeti. Good beer that I would have again. Would like to have fresher next time, so the espresso would take an even bigger role.

3.74/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle. Drank on July 22, 2011 into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: 4.5
A black body with a mild chocolate brown head of one and a half inches. Very dense. Nice looking beer.

Smell: 4
Prominent notes of coffee, a slight candy sugar sweetness. Notes of dark and milk chocolate.

Taste: 4
Initially slight sweetness and a soft coffee flavor. Oaki-ness comes through more as beer warms. Notes of vanilla from the oak. Midway through the hops bitterness bursts through on the palate. Finishes with bitter chocolate roasti-ness.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Mild to moderate carbonation, a little thinness. (thinner that I thought it would be). Slight dryness from hops which is more noticeable near the finish.

Overall: 4
A very enjoyable beer, but not as amazing as I thought it would be. Still definitely worth trying once, but I have many other RIS that I enjoy more. Espresso does work well.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black with a few inches of espresso/dark brown head.
Smells of strong espresso and chocolate.
Tastes very creamy and the espresso has a nice kick to it.
Medium amount of carbonation.
A very good stout. Highly recommend it!

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Couldn't possibly be darker. Light brown head which is large when poured aggressively.

S - A lot of chocolate and, of course, espresso. Oak is in the background.

T - Coffee and chocolate again; lots of roasted malts. Just a tiny bit bitter for what I like in stouts, though.

M - Creamy and chewy, the perfect texture.

D - I can't even believe this is 9.5%. You can't even taste the alcohol at all. Regardless of whether you can taste it or not, 9.5% is dangerous. Tread carefully.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

First beer of the day!

Pours a dark, dirty motor oil...awesome! Brown head that lingers throughout the entire consumption. Not one bit of light coming through this brew.

Aroma is amazing. Heavy coffee aroma with chocolate and toffee notes. Slightest bit of oak character in the smell, but very very nice. Balanced.

Taste lived up to my expectations. Smooth. Marshmallow meets chocolate and coffee. Oak character is minor, but I think it works well. Great Lingered coffee flavor!

Awesome first brew of the day.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Pored opaque into a chalice with a two layer head. One sticky tan skin with widely varying bubble sizes that lasts and lasts and a 1/2 finger head under that with all medium bubbles that faded rather quickly.

My nose is a little stuffy but there's no denying the roasted coffee and oak smell in this one. I may also be getting a little butter too, very appealing.

WOW! The taste is truly exceptional. Coffee, big bittersweet chocolate and a slight, well placed alcohol burn in the end. Really phenomenal.

Mouthfeel too, could not be better. As smooth as can be at the start then the carbonation flourishes to make it creamy and soft. There is an insignificant bite from the bitter chocolate that a few months in the cellar will surely polish over. This one was bottled less than three weeks ago, very fresh.

Drinkability for this beer may be closing the gap between session beers and imperial or bigger beers. I could have another one of these if I had another one of these but that would really just be indulgent. If there were a cask or a tap of this that I was not paying for I could have quite a few. I think my taste buds would give up before I wanted them to drinking this.

If you can afford it buy a case +1. Drink one and treat yourself in the months to come with a beer that will likely age very, very well.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark black like oil, frothy brown head with great lacing

S - some oak, chocolate, sweat malt, but mostly coffee.

T - Lot's espresso bean with roasty malts, smooth chocolate. Well blended

M - Full body, good carbonation, smooth, nice hop finish

O - Wow, what a beer! A must try! Really Really good

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A - 650mL bottle (bottled 1/9/12, purchased 2/3/12) poured into Great Divide stemmed pils glass. Opaque black with super thick, creamy brown head that has its own occupy movement in the glass and refuses to go anywhere.

S - Coffee aromas shot at me right from the hiss of removing the cap. Big espresso presence, milk chocolate, some alcohol. Maybe a little brown sugar.

T - Rich coffee, toffee, dark and semi-sweet chocolates. Almost a Nutella cocoa-hazelnut presence. Hops and peppery coffee bitterness on the finish.

M - Nice medium-low carbonation does its part and doesn't stand in the way of the complex array of flavors. Rich and creamy while not really coating the mouth or having that chewy aspect to it like regular Oak Yeti. Almost thin finish.

O - Oak Aged Yeti is one of my favorite beers ever and this Espresso treatment is an excellent addition to the Yeti family. This an upper echelon coffee stout and I highly recommend picking some up.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company