Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,482 | Reviews: 1,034
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

22 oz bomber, poured into a Weizen glass.

A - Beautiful deep black color with a three-fingered creamy brown head. Head lasts forever and leaves heavy lacing.

S - Great smell, Roasted sweet espresso, chocolate milk, and a bit of alcohol.

T - Delicious taste that mimics the smell of roasted sweet espresso, chocolate and a hint of licorice. Taste lingers, mostly licorice and coffee, but is not cloying.

M - Full-bodied and a little syrupy, but also amazing refreshing and clean.

D - Wonderful Imperial stout in the Callie tradition, which is to say, non-traditional, very drinkable and full of flavor. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

This was a great treat I must say. Got it on tap at prime 16 in New Haven, CT.

A - Pours a black oil color with about a half inch head and very nice lacing.

S - Wow those coffee notes really hit the nose! A very powerful coffee smell indeed! I love this because I love coffee; however, I can see someone who doesn't like coffee not liking this. You must be a coffee lover to appreciate this.

T - A huge coffee blast! Of course you taste the chocolate, but this this thing is dominated by coffee and that taste seems to supercede all else!

M - Pretty thick and I enjoyed this. Definitely a sipper and something to enjoy with dessert. I really liked this and now that I had it on tap I may seek out a bomber of this. I was impressed by this although great divide does make some pretty good stuff. I compared this to a Founders Breakfast Stout as that also has a strong coffee presence; but I think this has a stronger one. I wouldnt say this is better than an FBS; but I think it's pretty similar and if you like that one then you will definitely like this.

D - High ABV's and a thick dessert/coffee taste make this one a sipper. I would only want one of these after drinking a nice hoppy brew as that is my taste. This one I would look to finish the nite off with. Very enjoyable, hope to get my hands on this soon!

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours black, with a thick, light brown head. Nice lace.

Espresso hits the nose first, followed by a very extravegant scent of roasted malts, and everything that would be expected for an oak aged imperial stout.

First taste is incredible--it's like biting into a dark chocolate espresso truffle. The oak smooths things out so nicely. Very rich, and everything I've ever wanted in a coffee stout.

Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel.

I love coffee stouts, and this has to be one of the best I've had.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into snifter
9 oz pour

Color: Dark brown, almost black. A think caramel colored head forms after the pour and then it quickly disappears. A good amount of lacing is left behind on the glass.

Nose: Bitter coffee, but not a good kind of coffee. Lets just sy I wouldn't enjoy that cup of joe if I had to drink it. Roasted malts, but nothing impressive. The faint chocolate and vanilla flavors save the the nose from being below par.

Palate: Bitter and just blah. Nothing to great here the coffee is present, but its not pleasing. The abv goes in and out and ruins the good parts of this beer. Drinkability is not great, but its not bad when the beer is chilled.

Finish: Just coffee, not much complexity. This beer isn't awful, but its def not good. I expect better from great divide.

86 out of 100

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%

A: deep black body with a medium tan head that produces nice lace

S: coffee and burnt malts

T: deep coffee, burnt malts, chocolate, hint of vanilla, an all out taste assault

M: incredibly rich and smooth

D: as intense and rich as this beer is, the pieces come together to make a very drinkable beer

Incredible beer, I love Yeti, but the espresso aging smoothes away the sharp alcohol notes from normal Yeti and adds a wonderful coffee component.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a snifter from a year old bottle dated January 22nd, 2010:

A: Pours a thick, motor oil black with a matching thick viscosity as it drains from the bottle. Settles with a deep chocolate colored head which quickly retreats into a nice cap with a dense, grasping ring around the sides of the glass. Beautifully circular webs cling to the surface of the glass upon each sip. In all, a very delectable presentation for a stout.

S: Milk chocolate upfront with an undertone of roast espresso bean. There exists a deep, roasty profile with a remarkable, faint nuance of sweetness. As the beer warms, the earthy aroma of fresh roast coffee beans comes to the forefront with just a touch of vanilla been.

T: This beer was certainly a treat. A robust and full roast espresso bean flavor washes over the palate weaved with moderate complexities of vanilla bean and dark chocolate making cameos in the flavor profile. An extremely well balanced and full flavor graces the palate finishing with deliciously semi-sweet notes of chocolate malts and a coffee like earthiness from the oak and espresso chips. The experience for the palate is uniquely enjoyable for such a heavy feeling beer; upfront, you may think you are in for a bite in the finish for such robust flavors being present but instead you are surprised by a pleasant, slow fade of mild sweetness that just melts off of the palate.

M: Viscous, creamy, smooth, and full bodied brew that simply fills the mouth upon sip. Lingers like a strong coffee on the palate without the pronounced bitters. Completely innocuous alcohol bite.

D: I was thoroughly impressed with the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. For such a flavorful and thick beer, it just danced upon my taste buds and left me wanting more without wearing my palate down; I had no trouble finishing the bottle. To note as well, the western style omelet I was eating with it paired perfectly. All in all, this is a very well crafted Imperial Stout that I will be revisiting.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

January 2, 2012 Bottle

A: This one poured sludge like motor oil think and gnarly as hell

S: The forefront of the smell is coffee and background of roast and hints of dark chocolate

T:  First flavor to roll onto the tongue is coffee and chocolate with a complementary saltiness at the edges. Roast and grassy hop notes are noticed as you breathe out.

M: Medium bodied full flavored and easily drinkable

O: This beer was pretty damn good. Of all the Yeti's that i have had, this one is prolly the second best falling behind the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys coffee infused stouts

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

A fan of Great Divide beers, I was surprised to discover one I do not like, and this is it. Way over the top, it seems it can not decide whether it wants to be coffee or stout. Cloying sweet combined with full alcohol strength. This is meat for somebody else. An expensive waste of time.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours deep brown with a small brown cap on it. The nose has a bit of coffee to it, but not as much as I was expecting. Chocolate is definitely present as is a nice roasted malt.

Ooh, lots going on in this one. Everything seems a little more balanced than in your standard Yeti. The chocolate is here but is somewhat smoothed out by the espresso. Lots of different flavors mingling in (some nice smokiness and wood in there with the sweeter flavors).

Definitely my favorite of the Yetis so far. Everything works together to give a great overall experience. Highly recommended.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy crap this beer was a mouthful. I'm a hophead and don't drink coffee but I did like this one. Burnt coffee/non-sweet chocolate aroma and flavor start to finish. Coffee really sets in strongly after but maybe very noticeable for me because I don't drink coffee. Not much sweetness and any hops is hard to pull out. Very creamy mouthfeel. Wow 5 minutes later coffee flavor still lingers strongly. This was very good and I look forward to comparing with others.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks again very much to the Bier Stein for having this beer.

Pours a dark black color, similar to black licorice.

The espresso/coffee aroma is very pungent. I could also smell some vanilla, and of course hints of oak.

Tasted like how a coffee stout should. Deep coffee notes throughout the taste of it.

At 9.5%, this beer could easily be drank again and again. Just not too much in one night.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a few inches of espresso/dark brown head.
Smells of strong espresso and chocolate.
Tastes very creamy and the espresso has a nice kick to it.
Medium amount of carbonation.
A very good stout. Highly recommend it!

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 24oz bottle to a snifter.

Pours a deep dark brown black with a nice 3 finger that stays for a good 10 minutes. Has a nice thick creamy lacing throughout the beer. I smell a deep coffee and mocha scent throughout with chocolate and a minty maltiness almost caramel.

This beer is like PURE SMOOTHNESS in a bottle....it is so creamy and smooth, just fantastic. Espresso and coffee and chocolate, oatmeal, biscuit and dough, with a slight hoppiness blended with a smoked malt taste. Did I mention coffee? Throughout, espresso and coffee and caramel. With great smoothness, there is a hint of oak or whiskey in the aftertaste. Really quite remarkable beer. Just fantastic creamy thick mouthfeel that has a nice longing aftertaste that is pleasant and unique. Definatly has the imperial stout uniqueness through the entire beer.

Despite the high gravity of this beer it is sooo drinkable. Has such a beautiful creaminess with so much smoothness that is dangerous!

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

aroma is that of chocolate, caramel and nutty malt. Appearance is deep black with a milk chocolate brown head. Taste is that of a chocolate covered espresso bean. Palate is full bodied, oily, thick with a soft carbonation and long finish. overall an amazing version of yeti.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great flavor throughout. Pour dark with light head. Well balanced. Very impressive stout.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz. bottled on 4/2/2010, reviewed 11/20/10. Pint glass.

A- Small dark brown 1/4" head on the 1st pour. I poured the 2nd glass more aggressively and it practically overflowed my glass. The taller head left behind a good bit of webby lacing. Both times the head faded to a small ring. Beer is completely opaque black.

S- Strong oak, espresso, dark roasted malts. Some alcohol.

T- Oak upfront followed by dark, bitter espresso. Burnt sugar, faint toffee. Alcohol at times. Mainly dominated by the bitter espresso for me. Faint vanilla at times, mingled with the oak. No chocolate.

M- Full bodied, lightly creamy. No real carbonation. Dry oaky finish. Some mild alcohol heat.

D- A little bit hot at times, but the alcohol is mostly well hidden. Glad to see both namesake ingredients (oak and espresso) make an appearance on my palette. OK balance here but the bitter, dark espresso sort of becomes the dominant flavor after awhile. I enjoyed this, but it didn't really wow me.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 22oz. glass bottle into a tulip imperial pint glass.

A - Deep black with a thick, foamy mocha head -- about 3 fingers. Sticks to the glass, leaving a tan webbing all the way down.
S - Lots of espresso aromas as well as chocolate (both milk and dark), and roasted barley.
T - The coffee is very apparent, quickly followed by a thick chocolate flavor. A slight, but noticeable amount of hops are also evident. Sweetness in the background.
M - Medium- to thick-bodied. Definitely thick, but not as much as one might expect from a double stout. Sticky.
D - This is one humdinger of a stout. Approachable, flavorful, delicious -- and the alcohol is almost unnoticeable. Could drink this all night.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Nearly pitch-perfect imperial stout. It pours a beautiful, pitch-black, ruby-tinged hue with a creamy brown head that makes the beer resemble a cappuccino. The aroma is redolent with espresso and vanilla. The taste is a bit bracing -- bitter espresso, heavily roasted malt, and a surprising level of hop flavor. Still, the vanilla from the oak lends a bit of smoothness. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected; Imperials tend to be more viscous, but the oak aging probably took a bit away from that. Regardless, really nice, aggressive Imperial Stout. Almost as wonderful as Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout from 2013.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a 12 ounce snifter.

A - Comes to me a motor oil, black color. Looks super syrupy and yummy on this cold snowy night. A real nice deep brown head has formed, about 1 1/2 fingers tall and slowly but surely deflates into a beautiful cap, remaining that deep brown. As it deflates it leaves a real thick coating of offwhite lacing on the glass which just makes me want to stare at it and drink it.

S - Instantly I get espresso and bittersweet chocolate tones as well as a healthy handful of burnt and deeply roasted malts. Behind that I get some sweet tones from the roasted malts I'm guessing and perhaps some slight earthy woody tones as well. Pretty complex in the nose, I'm liking this one so far.

T - Creamy iced coffee is what I'm hit with at first taste. I also get some of the malts coming in quickly after which round out the flavor nicely. Bitter and spent coffee rinds and chocolate rule this one with some sweet notes and perhaps some vanilla. A nice smooth tasting brew. Very enjoyable.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, its got some good carbonation, and has a nice creamy finish on the mouth. Really a nice beer on this cold snowing night. Like drinking a nice hot chocolate.

D - A highly drinkable beer. I'd love to snag one of these in a bottle if I can find it at a local shop. I'd definitely recommend this to people as well.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Black with a brown creamy head that recedes slowly leaving lotsa lace.

S: The espresso smell is nice and the slight malt aroma is the only hint that I'm smelling a beer and not a shot of espresso.

MF: Full-bodied in an understatement! It totally coats the mouth and is ridiculously chewy! Perfect!

T: Man, that's a lot of coffee! Unlike the regular Oaked-Aged Yeti, I don't detect much oak. I'm generally a fan of oakiness, but I didn't like the way it effected the Yeti, so the lack of oakiness here is a good thing in my book. There is some dark bitter chocolate and some sweet vanilla going on in the middle. In the finish there is coffee -like bitterness. Hops? Maybe, but the bitterness reminds me of the taste in my mouth after that last sip of very strong, very black coffee in the morning. It is a bit hot, but only only the gums. It doesn't really generate much warmth in the belly or as it goes down.

Overall: Love it! The best of the Yetis!

3.85/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a snifter. Bottle on/best by date is indiscernible, but I think it's pretty fresh. I love the yeti labels, which is why I first bought the base beer years ago.

A: Motor oil, viscous black with a rather dark brown and persistent two finger head. Body is as about as dark as they come.

S: Delicious. Coffee is prominent, of course. Rather bitter espresso with lots of chocolate. Wonderful roasty aromas. Charred oak.

T: Right in line with the nose. Very bitter. Roasted tobacco. Lots of wood as it warms - I could barely discern the oak notes at first, and they became pretty dominant eventually. The eventual overall taste is what I would imagine a tobacco leaf to taste like, from the combination of tobacco with the oak and some spices.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation, and extremely (as an understatement) dry.

O: This is a really delicious beer, but the bomber was a little bit too much for me and the flavors became overpowering. I enjoyed the first sip far more than the last.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured this sucker into a Tulip, with a nice dark tan finger and a half head forming at the top. Really dark brown spirits escaped from the 650ml bottle into the glass. Once collected in the glass no light was going to penetrate the brew.

The aroma was very much in line with most stouts I've had with a hint more bitter coffee bean wafting in to the proceedings.

As for the taste? Some beers simply demand you slow down when drinking them. If ever there was a sipper, this has to be up there with the best of them. Took me a good hour+ to savor this bottle. I might go so far as to say it should probably be split, if not for the alcohol content, then for the strong flavor that comes out of the bottle that practically dulls the palette after a bit.

My favorite thing about this beer is the creamy mouthfeel. Man, this close to a 5. Great stuff. On the first sip, I'll admit to thinking the coffee flavor was trouncing everything else, but it pulls back a bit and lets everything else come out to play soon after. That oak flavor is faintly in there in the background. I'd wish a bit more for it, but I'm not complaining. A stellar bear. Bravo Great Divide.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bomber of this beer at the local grocery store for $11.99.

A- Pours a thick and viscous dark black color that comes out slowly. The head on this beer is a fantastic brown that reminds me of the head on coca cola. When held up to light this beer is opaque. Leaves some lacing on the glass as you drink it.

S- The smell is sweet as well as a little bit of bitter. Chocolate and espresso come forward. This beer smells powerful and delicious.

T- The taste is sweet but also well balanced with hops. Great deal of coffee and dark chocolate flavor.

M- This beer is actually a little bit more medium bodied than I had expected. It makes it very drinkable and delicious. Carbonation is light and it finished with bitter espresso flavors.

O- This beer was really fantastic. I loved every bit of it and cannot wait to have it again. It is one o those imperial stouts that you have to try if you are a fan of the style.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Black with a thin and attractive mocha-colored head. Thick lacing on the glass above.
Smell is coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.
Delicious. So delicious I am pissed-off. I wish I didn't have a seven-hour college course tomorrow, or I'd drink another bottle of this wonderful beer. Coffee, chocolate, leather tones and a perfect level of bitterness. Small booze presence. They got this one right.
Mouthfeel is good. Just the right level of carbonation to give it a nice tingly feel, yet still smooth. Little bit of warmth from the alcohol.
The delicious nature of this one makes me want more, but the ABV makes its presence known quite quickly. However, I could easily have another bottle on a night in which I didn't have to get up early the following morning.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A - dark, deep black. Pours almost like molasses or syrup. Very nice head.

S - Very interesting smells of Prune, bourbon, chocolate and coconut.

T - Chocolate roasted malty flavors with hints of vanilla and a lingering bitterness.

M - solid bodied and amazingly smooth going down. A real joy in the mouth

D - this beer is really good and has nice complex flavors.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company