Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,018 | Hads: 3,537
4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours deep brown with a small brown cap on it. The nose has a bit of coffee to it, but not as much as I was expecting. Chocolate is definitely present as is a nice roasted malt.

Ooh, lots going on in this one. Everything seems a little more balanced than in your standard Yeti. The chocolate is here but is somewhat smoothed out by the espresso. Lots of different flavors mingling in (some nice smokiness and wood in there with the sweeter flavors).

Definitely my favorite of the Yetis so far. Everything works together to give a great overall experience. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Thanks again very much to the Bier Stein for having this beer.

Pours a dark black color, similar to black licorice.

The espresso/coffee aroma is very pungent. I could also smell some vanilla, and of course hints of oak.

Tasted like how a coffee stout should. Deep coffee notes throughout the taste of it.

At 9.5%, this beer could easily be drank again and again. Just not too much in one night.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 24oz bottle to a snifter.

Pours a deep dark brown black with a nice 3 finger that stays for a good 10 minutes. Has a nice thick creamy lacing throughout the beer. I smell a deep coffee and mocha scent throughout with chocolate and a minty maltiness almost caramel.

This beer is like PURE SMOOTHNESS in a bottle....it is so creamy and smooth, just fantastic. Espresso and coffee and chocolate, oatmeal, biscuit and dough, with a slight hoppiness blended with a smoked malt taste. Did I mention coffee? Throughout, espresso and coffee and caramel. With great smoothness, there is a hint of oak or whiskey in the aftertaste. Really quite remarkable beer. Just fantastic creamy thick mouthfeel that has a nice longing aftertaste that is pleasant and unique. Definatly has the imperial stout uniqueness through the entire beer.

Despite the high gravity of this beer it is sooo drinkable. Has such a beautiful creaminess with so much smoothness that is dangerous!

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

aroma is that of chocolate, caramel and nutty malt. Appearance is deep black with a milk chocolate brown head. Taste is that of a chocolate covered espresso bean. Palate is full bodied, oily, thick with a soft carbonation and long finish. overall an amazing version of yeti.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Nearly pitch-perfect imperial stout. It pours a beautiful, pitch-black, ruby-tinged hue with a creamy brown head that makes the beer resemble a cappuccino. The aroma is redolent with espresso and vanilla. The taste is a bit bracing -- bitter espresso, heavily roasted malt, and a surprising level of hop flavor. Still, the vanilla from the oak lends a bit of smoothness. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected; Imperials tend to be more viscous, but the oak aging probably took a bit away from that. Regardless, really nice, aggressive Imperial Stout. Almost as wonderful as Stone's Espresso Imperial Russian Stout from 2013.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

22 oz. bottled on 4/2/2010, reviewed 11/20/10. Pint glass.

A- Small dark brown 1/4" head on the 1st pour. I poured the 2nd glass more aggressively and it practically overflowed my glass. The taller head left behind a good bit of webby lacing. Both times the head faded to a small ring. Beer is completely opaque black.

S- Strong oak, espresso, dark roasted malts. Some alcohol.

T- Oak upfront followed by dark, bitter espresso. Burnt sugar, faint toffee. Alcohol at times. Mainly dominated by the bitter espresso for me. Faint vanilla at times, mingled with the oak. No chocolate.

M- Full bodied, lightly creamy. No real carbonation. Dry oaky finish. Some mild alcohol heat.

D- A little bit hot at times, but the alcohol is mostly well hidden. Glad to see both namesake ingredients (oak and espresso) make an appearance on my palette. OK balance here but the bitter, dark espresso sort of becomes the dominant flavor after awhile. I enjoyed this, but it didn't really wow me.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 22oz. glass bottle into a tulip imperial pint glass.

A - Deep black with a thick, foamy mocha head -- about 3 fingers. Sticks to the glass, leaving a tan webbing all the way down.
S - Lots of espresso aromas as well as chocolate (both milk and dark), and roasted barley.
T - The coffee is very apparent, quickly followed by a thick chocolate flavor. A slight, but noticeable amount of hops are also evident. Sweetness in the background.
M - Medium- to thick-bodied. Definitely thick, but not as much as one might expect from a double stout. Sticky.
D - This is one humdinger of a stout. Approachable, flavorful, delicious -- and the alcohol is almost unnoticeable. Could drink this all night.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a 12 ounce snifter.

A - Comes to me a motor oil, black color. Looks super syrupy and yummy on this cold snowy night. A real nice deep brown head has formed, about 1 1/2 fingers tall and slowly but surely deflates into a beautiful cap, remaining that deep brown. As it deflates it leaves a real thick coating of offwhite lacing on the glass which just makes me want to stare at it and drink it.

S - Instantly I get espresso and bittersweet chocolate tones as well as a healthy handful of burnt and deeply roasted malts. Behind that I get some sweet tones from the roasted malts I'm guessing and perhaps some slight earthy woody tones as well. Pretty complex in the nose, I'm liking this one so far.

T - Creamy iced coffee is what I'm hit with at first taste. I also get some of the malts coming in quickly after which round out the flavor nicely. Bitter and spent coffee rinds and chocolate rule this one with some sweet notes and perhaps some vanilla. A nice smooth tasting brew. Very enjoyable.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, its got some good carbonation, and has a nice creamy finish on the mouth. Really a nice beer on this cold snowing night. Like drinking a nice hot chocolate.

D - A highly drinkable beer. I'd love to snag one of these in a bottle if I can find it at a local shop. I'd definitely recommend this to people as well.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured this sucker into a Tulip, with a nice dark tan finger and a half head forming at the top. Really dark brown spirits escaped from the 650ml bottle into the glass. Once collected in the glass no light was going to penetrate the brew.

The aroma was very much in line with most stouts I've had with a hint more bitter coffee bean wafting in to the proceedings.

As for the taste? Some beers simply demand you slow down when drinking them. If ever there was a sipper, this has to be up there with the best of them. Took me a good hour+ to savor this bottle. I might go so far as to say it should probably be split, if not for the alcohol content, then for the strong flavor that comes out of the bottle that practically dulls the palette after a bit.

My favorite thing about this beer is the creamy mouthfeel. Man, this close to a 5. Great stuff. On the first sip, I'll admit to thinking the coffee flavor was trouncing everything else, but it pulls back a bit and lets everything else come out to play soon after. That oak flavor is faintly in there in the background. I'd wish a bit more for it, but I'm not complaining. A stellar bear. Bravo Great Divide.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Black with a brown creamy head that recedes slowly leaving lotsa lace.

S: The espresso smell is nice and the slight malt aroma is the only hint that I'm smelling a beer and not a shot of espresso.

MF: Full-bodied in an understatement! It totally coats the mouth and is ridiculously chewy! Perfect!

T: Man, that's a lot of coffee! Unlike the regular Oaked-Aged Yeti, I don't detect much oak. I'm generally a fan of oakiness, but I didn't like the way it effected the Yeti, so the lack of oakiness here is a good thing in my book. There is some dark bitter chocolate and some sweet vanilla going on in the middle. In the finish there is coffee -like bitterness. Hops? Maybe, but the bitterness reminds me of the taste in my mouth after that last sip of very strong, very black coffee in the morning. It is a bit hot, but only only the gums. It doesn't really generate much warmth in the belly or as it goes down.

Overall: Love it! The best of the Yetis!

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a snifter. Bottle on/best by date is indiscernible, but I think it's pretty fresh. I love the yeti labels, which is why I first bought the base beer years ago.

A: Motor oil, viscous black with a rather dark brown and persistent two finger head. Body is as about as dark as they come.

S: Delicious. Coffee is prominent, of course. Rather bitter espresso with lots of chocolate. Wonderful roasty aromas. Charred oak.

T: Right in line with the nose. Very bitter. Roasted tobacco. Lots of wood as it warms - I could barely discern the oak notes at first, and they became pretty dominant eventually. The eventual overall taste is what I would imagine a tobacco leaf to taste like, from the combination of tobacco with the oak and some spices.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation, and extremely (as an understatement) dry.

O: This is a really delicious beer, but the bomber was a little bit too much for me and the flavors became overpowering. I enjoyed the first sip far more than the last.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bomber of this beer at the local grocery store for $11.99.

A- Pours a thick and viscous dark black color that comes out slowly. The head on this beer is a fantastic brown that reminds me of the head on coca cola. When held up to light this beer is opaque. Leaves some lacing on the glass as you drink it.

S- The smell is sweet as well as a little bit of bitter. Chocolate and espresso come forward. This beer smells powerful and delicious.

T- The taste is sweet but also well balanced with hops. Great deal of coffee and dark chocolate flavor.

M- This beer is actually a little bit more medium bodied than I had expected. It makes it very drinkable and delicious. Carbonation is light and it finished with bitter espresso flavors.

O- This beer was really fantastic. I loved every bit of it and cannot wait to have it again. It is one o those imperial stouts that you have to try if you are a fan of the style.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Black with a thin and attractive mocha-colored head. Thick lacing on the glass above.
Smell is coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.
Delicious. So delicious I am pissed-off. I wish I didn't have a seven-hour college course tomorrow, or I'd drink another bottle of this wonderful beer. Coffee, chocolate, leather tones and a perfect level of bitterness. Small booze presence. They got this one right.
Mouthfeel is good. Just the right level of carbonation to give it a nice tingly feel, yet still smooth. Little bit of warmth from the alcohol.
The delicious nature of this one makes me want more, but the ABV makes its presence known quite quickly. However, I could easily have another bottle on a night in which I didn't have to get up early the following morning.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Quite possibly the slowest moving head I've encountered. Extremely dark; there is no light permeating this darkness

S - Coffee dominates, as expected, with chocolate coming in a close second. Also a decent amount of smokiness to the nose

T - Similar to the nose; lots of coffee with chocolate bringing up the rear with one glaring difference: there is a taste that reminds me of tobacco. Eating a piece of chocolate while drinking accentuates the coffee taste

M - Powerful all-in-one type mouthfeel that hits quickly and exits just as quickly. Perhaps I served it too cold

D - Considering the variables (complex taste, alcohol content), not bad. However, at 9.5% it drinks more like a 12 or 14% stout in my opinion

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A - dark, deep black. Pours almost like molasses or syrup. Very nice head.

S - Very interesting smells of Prune, bourbon, chocolate and coconut.

T - Chocolate roasted malty flavors with hints of vanilla and a lingering bitterness.

M - solid bodied and amazingly smooth going down. A real joy in the mouth

D - this beer is really good and has nice complex flavors.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours near black, with a tan head that lasts the entire bottle. The upfront nose is of rich coffee and roasted malt. Once it warms, the nose becomes a little more fruity from the alcohol. The taste is very complex, and still incredibly drinkable. Notes of espresso, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate followed by a nice balance of earthy hop bitterness. The oak and alcohol are subtle, but noticeable. The mouthfeel is full bodied and the carbonation is dead on. Truly a beer worth seeking out, and one so smooth I could drink all night.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Bomber poured into goblet.

Appearance: Dark, dark, fertile earth black. The head is a beautiful burnt caramel, which lazily clings to the glass.

Smell: Dark roasted coffee beans, crumbled baker's chocolate, and molasses.

Taste: Bitter, roasted coffee beans and baker's chocolate. Almost exactly mirrors the aroma. It's such a perfect and bold mixture of the coffee, bitter chocolate, and molasses flavors, with a touch of hops twang to keep it from dredging too far--balanced with a heavy emphasis on roastiness.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Served on draft at Blue Monk in small snifter glass. Dark Black with a small creme head, frothy like expresso.

Smell-Notes of burnt expresso and dark chocolate coming through.

Taste-surprisingly not boozy at all for 9.5ABV. The Expresso taste is there but not overwhelming, also the Oak taste is well balanced with the expresso coming through and they compliment each other perfectly. This was my first beer of the night and three days later I am still thinking about it.

Mouthfeel-nice finish, not overpowering and each time I felt a little more coming through.

Fantastic Beer for those that love Oak aged and or Expresso/Coffee beers. I found it to have an amazing drinkability for such a unique beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured this into a pint glass and poured into a dark black color with minimal head and lacing that follows the drink all the way down.

Has a nice smell of coffee, chocolate and a hint of vanilla.

Has a very nice taste of coffee, espresso, chocolate and roasted nuts

Has a medium to heavy mouthfeel and you can taste some carbonation but not overbearing

Drinkibility is very low due to high alcohol content and complex taste, is a medium to heavy mouthfeel.

I would recommend this beer to stout lovers.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Bomber bottled 4/2/2010
poured into a snifter

Appears pitch black with a reddish dark chocolate head, 1.5 fingers, semi aggressive pour. The head dissipates in an adequate amount of time leaving an interesting layout of lacing, like primitive cave paintings.

Espresso up front, roasty, with some malt presence. The espresso smell is very powerful. I've this in the past but don't remember the espresso smell being so strong. It smells like my local coffee shop at 7am.

Espresso takes the lead in taste as well, with malt and vanilla on the backfoot. No alcohol presence, surprisingly. It's a bit out of balance with the coffee being so strong

Thick, creamy, full-bodied. Very low carbonation, extremely smooth. This mouthfeel is exactly what I look in a big stout.

Gonna have to pace myself with this one. It's better than I remember, and the 9.5% ABV is perfectly masked

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me. I was at Cable Beverage looking around and I spotted this. I'd never tried it myself but I'd heard good things so I scopped it up. Damn glad I did, Luved it. Excellent pour with deep flavor. Highly recommend.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Black and opaque, with a thick brown head.

Smell: Coffee aroma is prevelant. A little chocolatey.

Taste: Wow, lots going on here! The biggest flavor component is the oak and there's a little vanilla from that. Behind that you can find the coffee and malt if you look for it.

Mouthfeel: Maybe it's just because the beer is so busy, but it seemed full bodied.

This beer will definitely give you something to chew on and think about. While nice, it had a little too much going on with the oak running the show. I might drop some adjectives the next time I reach for a Yeti.

Presentation: Poured into a snifter.

A: Pitch black with absolutely no light shining through. There is a thick 2+ finger head that has amazing head retention. Its quite thick, almost like whipped cream.

S: Large amounts of dark malts assault the nose with strong notes of espresso and coffee. I don't get much oak notes, perhaps this will come through more in the taste. There is a pretty dominate hop presence here which adds to the complexity in this aroma.

T: Amazingly complex. There are strong notes of espresso, oak, and intense dark roasted malts. There is a bitterness but its hard to say whether or not it comes from the hops, it reminds me most of true espresso and the bitterness that comes along with that. There are some subtle vanilla notes but not much that I can pick up on.

M: Bold and smooth and quite dry in the finish.

D: This is a huge beer and the drinkability is understandably impacted by this fact. I can get through a bottle but anything more than that is testing my limits.

Notes: This is a hugely complex beer and reminds me a lot of its cousin, the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. I actually prefer the COAY over this one and would buy it instead if I were able to choose between the two. That being said it is still an amazing beer.

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter from 22 oz. bottle.

A- Exceptionally dark. I've been pouring some other stouts that I thought were dark recently, this one makes them look light. The frothy dark brown head was about a finger thick. Lacing seemed to stick around. I couldn't stare at it too long, as it's an enticing looking pour.

S- Expresso and ground coffee up front. Cocoa, dark chocolate, and a little carmel. Undertones of burnt malts and grains, as well as slight hints of oak and wood. Hops hiding in the back.

T- Excellent. The expresso taste isn't quite as strong as it smells, but it is still very present and goes excellent with the chocolate present. Extremely smooth tasting and well balanced between the expresso, roasted malts, and hops. A bit of the oak present after the finish. Alcohol is well hidden.

M- This is definitely a tad lighter tasting than it appears, but in a good way. I thought it would be a fatter, more full-bodied feel, but although its still pretty thick, it didn't quite feel as dark as it looked. Smooth on palate and a great finish.

O- Awesome stout. Im a fan of expresso/coffee stouts and this one definitely goes near the top of my list. I also like the fact that its usually not too hard to find near me. I will continue to go after this one for as long as GD puts them out there. Thank you for an excellent drink.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This one, like it's chocolate brother, pours a seriously black color - no light gets through this one. A healthy pour produces a thick brown head that eventually makes it way down to a half finger that persists throughout the entire event and produces good amounts of lacing.

S: Coffee is right up front but I expected that given its name. Of the other typical stout aromas the toffee our weighs the chocolate. The oak is in there but it is well blended and doesn't overwhelm anything. As it approaches the more appropriate temperature there is a sweetness - maybe a slight dark fruitiness.

T: This is awesome and complex. The oak makes a little more of an appearance here but again it is well blended with the other flavors. Heck, everything is well blended in this one. The coffee is a little more noticeable but, again, the name dictates that. Malt and hops, chocolate and toffee... It's all good.

M: Creamy going down with a little warming sensation. It feels a little oily as it leaves a coating on my tongue. Heavy body and a little light on the carbonation - perfect for the style.

D: I found it really easy to down a full 750ml bottle. The folks at Great Divide seem to love to produce oak-aged imperial items and I love to drink them. This is very enjoyable. This is one to experience.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company