Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,016 | Hads: 3,532
4.14/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 1 1/2 year old bomber. Found at the local BevMo!, sitting at low 70s. The guy at the checkout said that they got it on accident, so it was a lucky find.

Pours extremely dark, forms a nice reddish-brown head that slowly goes away leaving lacing in my oversized Bordeaux wine glass. Looks perfect for a stout of this kind.

Putting my nose in the glass gives mostly oak smell. Which is strong vanilla aroma. I was a bit sad that there wasn't any espresso smell.

Maybe the age helped mellow this bottle out. There isn't much of a taste of alcohol, its very well hidden. The taste is much like the smell. A lot of vanilla flavor from the wood which is balanced out with the dark malt which brings a burnt carmel flavor. The finish tastes like bitter chocolate and espresso beans, kind of a like the coffee beans covered in dark chocolate.

The mouthfeel is very creamy. I would say this beer is medium to heavy bodied. It feels kind of thick, but not too much so.

Overall, this is a well made beer that I wish I could find more of. Not sure if the age on the beer or storage conditions have altered the flavors.

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was a great 32 growler this weekend and much better than the one bottle I had last year. Poured into my 8 oz stout glass produced big mocha head with tons of chocolate up front, vanilla notes in the middle and the coffee notes on the finish. Poured tighter into my 4 oz taster and or 5 oz snifter opened with huge coffee, with the vanilla and chocolate finish. So either way I enjoyed both and this is a chocolate coffee bomb. Terrific mouthfeel, this 32 dissapeared in no time at all. Overall outstanding.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours very dark and syrupy thick. Creamy tan head is initially quite thick, but dissipates more quickly than expected. Great lacing left on the glass.

Great nose features sweet chocolate notes as well as coffee roastiness. A bit hoppier here than expected.

Big time roasted bitterness as well as hop bitterness on the palate. All chocolate that comes through here is of the bittersweet variety, which with all the other sources of bitterness makes this beer a bit unbalanced. Long, bitter finish.

Overall a v. good beer, but not as good as I was hoping. A bourbon barrel would have done a great service to this beer. I'll stash one or two and see how it drinks in the future--hopefully bitterness will mellow a bit and become a little sweeter overall.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Two of my favorites-- imperial stout and coffee, and here they are mixed together!

The beer poured beautifully into an imperial pint glass. The smell of espresso was strong, and invited me to take that first sip!

The first few sips of this beer were the best-- strong but smooth, huge coffee overtones, sweet finish...yum. The more I drank, though, it seemed to lose the sweetness. It took me about 2 hours to make it through the entire bomber, and about 3/4 of the way through I wanted a snack to go with it (I had a piece of aged white cheddar cheese, and for some reason it was really tasty with this beer!).

I prefer the regular Yeti Imperial Stout over this one as a "regular" in my refrigerator, but will definitely have it again in about a year!

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer looked thick and dark as it sludges out of the bottle. I have had lots of dark beers in my day, but this might be the darkest. No light comes from anywhere. Really attractive thick bubbly dark mocha head that isn't going anywhere. Some of the head does die down, but it sticks really well to the sides of the glass.

Smells fresh, a strong wood presence with some vanilla, bourbon, strong coffee and dark chocolate. A wonderful blend of all of these and I spent about five minutes just smelling it.

I get hit with a wave of strong coffee at first, which turns into a slight sweetness from the oat and vanilla notes. Finishes hop strong. The bitterness from the combination of the coffee and hops is almost cloying. There is not alot of sweetness in this beer, and it makes it's drinkability a little difficult. Overall, a really good beer but I wish I had split the bottle with someone. I will be really interested to see how this beer hold up in my cellar. I think some time will bring out some more vanilla notes that might have been hidden behind the coffee and hops.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Excellent! I had heard of the Yeti and happened to find this at store in Boston on a little weekend trip.

A: Crazy dark, no light even at the end. Had a huge head that laced down the entire glass

S: Not as much espresso as I had assumed based on the name but it's still there alongside some roasted maltiness and a bit of sweet almost chocolate aroma

T: Delicious, got the coffee flavor at the end. Really liked the oak flavor in there also. Super complex brew with lots going on and very well balanced

M: Good and hearty feel but smooth and rich

D: More drinkable than you would think. I could go through a couple of these without too much trouble

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is my first Yeti, and I wish I'd had the tried the unaged version without the espresso first.

It's a dark beer, black with a faint red brown at the edges of the glass and a thick, persistent head that brings espresso crema to mind.

The coffee aroma comes on strong with chocolate and a faint hoppiness in the background.

This is definitely a coffee beer, and the espresso character dominates, with hints of dark chocolate and maltiness fighting their way through the intense coffee presence. The coffee flavor fades a bit on the aftertaste, and an astringent chocolate flavor comes forward, like really dark chocolate or cocoa powder. There is a sweetness that lasts, tempered by alcohol and a coffee and hop bitterness.

This beer has a surprisingly light body for an imperial stout, and the mild carbonation makes it much easier to drink than I would have expected. It is a big beer, but it doesn't drink like one. The alcohol is perceptable, and there is a lingering bitterness that can be pleasant, but thankfully it's not syrupy at all.

I wanted to like this beer a lot, and my high expectations probably influenced my enjoyment of this beer for the worst. I did like it, but I was far from crazy about it. I'll drink it again in a different situation, but I'm not in any rush to try this again.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle dated Dec 2010

A - Pours black with brown edges and a 2 finger brown head.

S - oak, faint coffee, chocolate, and roast come together nicely. Oak is more dominant than expected

T - Sweet taste, strong chocolate and roast. Not much coffee as expected with age, some hop bitterness. Sharp oaky flavor

M - low carbonation, smooth, full bodied

O - a really great stout, with a lot of sweetness, would like to try one fresh

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: roast, slightly burnt coffee. Milk chocolate and creamy notes. No green pepper which I hate in coffee beers.

Appearance: Black opaque, too dark for highlights. Dark brown rocky head that lingers for several minutes.

Taste: Chocolate malt and roast. Definite kilned malt flavor. Sweetness balances well with some assertive bitterness that still stands up to the malt bill.

Mouthfeel: medium heavy body, medium carbonation, coffee is very drying. Sweetness and mouthfeel is not over the top.

Overall: coffee forward imperial stout that is very complex and very drinkable. The price point for this beer makes it a great value.

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All of the aged Yetis have been a little disappointing. The original is still the best incarnation. The chocolate aged is decent, but lacks the depth you would expect from the extra care and premium price. The 20th Anniversary is pretty good for a Belgian/Northern French style ale.

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%

2009 vintage.

Pours deep, dark, and full of mystery.

Smells like morning - fresh coffee percolating with a hint of vanilla. Not the coffee vanilla bomb I expected - chocolate, roasted chicory, and malted milk balls.

Smooth and lush flavor and texture. The age has calmed the harsh alcohol edges and mixed the espresso and oak vanillins just right.

Overall definitely a beer I will revisit after a couple years in the cellar.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Served into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours beautifully black (or very dark brown) with a brown head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a watery persistent lace, at pouring it feels very heavy (thick bodied) with a small carbonation.

S: Coffee (d'uh), alcohol, malts, caramel, vanilla, bread and a hint of orange?? (that one I'm not 100 percent)

T: Coffee all the way....and then the caramel and vanilla, leaving a bittery warming feeling what else can you ask from a beer with a shot of expresso.

Overall I would have it again, not my go to beer, but depending in the occasion...I prefer the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout if I have to pick one to buy.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Pours oily black. Creamy, dense, tightly-packed, milk chocolate colored head. Holds extremely well, before it slowly falls, leaving a scattered film.

Smells of fresh coffee grounds, heavy roasted malt, and muted bakers chocolate. Soft, underlying vanilla, with a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste is similar to nose. Strong coffee and roast, almost competing for the spotlight. Vanilla comes out stronger than it did on the nose. Light bakers chocolate. A strong, bold, woodsy oak finish with moderate to high hop (or is that coffee) bitterness.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Creamy body. Slight residual malty stickiness. Liberally bittered finish. The sweetness is strong on the aftertaste.

This is likely the oakiest beer I have ever had, its almost distracting. The coffee characteristics are bold, without being overbearing (fd: Im a coffee addict). The subtle vanilla note is perfected throughout. A bit harsh on the bitterness, and I would have liked to see more sweetness.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Bottled April of 2010, so about a year and a half old. This is a pretty beer on the pour, mahogany in color with a nice dark tan head.
There are potent smells of coffee, dark chocolate, oak vanilla and molasses or toffee.

The taste certainly follows the nose, with coffee and chocolate dominating. Medium bodied, not overly creamy nor carbonated, in my opinion. The oak is there throughout, and lingers in the finish. There is a nice malt/hop balance for the style.

This is a nice offering from GDBC, a good all around stout. Great Divide is definitely a brewery I'm paying more attention to.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Spent $12 on one bomber, so this better be good!
Appearance: Pours like motor oil. Pitch black with thick rusty brown head.
Smell: Very powerful! Could smell it right after opening the bottle. Black coffee with some oaky dark chocolate.
Taste: Strong, bitter black coffee with a slight spiciness. Way more bitter than sweet (though it has some sweetness). A very slight booziness.
Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation. Pretty thick and chewy with no watery feeling common in many stouts I have encountered.
Overall: This is certainly a good to great beer, but I have had better coffee flavored stouts and this is not worth $12 a bomber. Would try again, but not near that price tag. This issue keeps me from recommending it.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Oil black. You can't see in, and it can't see out. A finger of brown head that dissipates into a brown film where the slick stout caresses the glass. Great looking stuff

S - smells like a typical stout. Strong roasted malts with some chocolate qualities to it. Dark fruits are prevalent as well. No real coffee/espresso smell, which seems odd for a espresso RIS...

T - Oh! Ok, thats where the espresso is! This is better than how I wanted it to taste. Coffee, roasted malts, dark fruits with some chocolate undertones. Favorite tasting stout at this point! Great stuff

M - Reminds me of the mouthfeel of Ten Fidy. Coats the mouth, slight carbonation and full bodied. A pleasure to drink.

O - I was hesitant to spend the $11 for the bomber, but I am glad that I did! Top notch RIS for being a great espresso RIS

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Been a good while trying to get this one. It looks dark brown almost perfectly black. A good two finger dark brown head. Smell of chocolate and espresso! Tastes amazing with a really strong espresso taste. the chocolate after taste makes me want some coffee with my chocolate. Nice and thick just the way i like it. this is a great beer. if you see it you should buy it.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful coffee flavor, great aroma and great stout look and feel. Pours black as night with a thick head. I'm not a coffee drinker, but this has a great balance of favors to it and the coffee accentuates the flavor without being too overpowering. I agree world class beer here.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from bottle into Better Beer glass.

Poured a rich 3 finger head, blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

My first glass had a chemical scent to it, but the second glass has intense espresso, including some woodyness.

Flavor is bold. Hits you with hops and espresso, some real dark chocolate in the back, but the star flavors are definitely the coffee and roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel could be better, honestly, but I have had this from tap, and it was much smoother there. It's quite bubbly, and theres a little of an alcohol bite.

For drink-ability, if it was on tap, give me another. But for bottle, I'd hold off, make it a once in a while treat.

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - black and brown. they both go nicely. creamy frothy head.

s - ice cream. vanilla ice cream. coffee. sweet chocolate.

t - espresso up the wazoo. damn thats a lot of coffee. like biting into 4 or 5 coffee beans at once. chocolate in the finish. cocoa.

m - seriously bitter. definitely outdoes most the flavors. ive had this beer in the past and i dont really remember the coffee being quite so strong.

o - theyre not joking. espresso. as my friend put it, its young. definitely a beer to be aged a while.

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%

I expected great things, but was disappointed. I like big stouts and coffee/chocolate is usually good.

The aroma was OK, but nothing mouth watering. I didn't get much coffee scent, I could pick it out if I tried. The chocolate was there.

Poured into a pint glass. It was black with 3 fingers of head. Looked great.

The taste was disappointing. Lead off was a heavy dose of sweetness, similar to ST Choklat, sweet, but not as rich or balanced. The middle was kind of bland, the sweet faded rapidly to be followed up by a sharply contrasting bitterness; not at all complimentary IMO.

I took it out of the fridge an hour before serving, I though that would be enough. As it continued to warm up after another hour in the glass, the espresso presented itself a bit more, still not all that much.

Not to keen on the drinkability. I never did get used to the stark contrast between big sweet start and huge bitter finish, with the hole in the middle.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle. Looks great. Very dark rich brown. Espresso/coffee are more present than chocolate, but thus the name! I could have done with a little less bitterness, but a very nice stout!

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

From a 22oz. bomber to my 11oz. GLBC snifter.

The latest in the march of stouts through my fridge, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti by Great Divide.
Appearance: Pitch black with a little less than a finger’s worth of dark mocha brown head after a mild pour. Head is frothy and thick, and sticks to the glass like velcro. A few stray carbonation bubbles make their way up the glass. A pretty stout. 4.75

Smell: A rich imperial stout aroma blended with espresso coffee notes. The oak aging is present in small doses. Chocolates and coffee are the base of the nose. 4

Taste: A very rich and dark coffee-chocolate flavor flows upon the taste buds. Espresso it is! It’s bitter, dark, sweet and delicious. Wood and vanilla from the oak aging ride side by side with the bitter espresso. Sappy hop presence provides a nice complement to the roasty malt. A bit of alcohol is present due to the high ABV, but it is masked well. Mild aftertaste is of bitter dark chocolate and rich coffee. It lasts for a long time and builds up with each sip. One could easily confuse this with a coffee! Bitterness tames and oak vanilla comes out with warmth. 4.75

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy body, a little rough because of the medium bitterness and dark intense malts. The carbonation is low. A little sticky on the lips. 4.25

Overall: This is my kind of brew. Behind the west coast IPA, the Russian Imperial stout is my favorite style. I find this one to be done very well. The dark chocolate, coffee and oak aging meld perfectly for a rich and delicious winter brew. Couldn’t have more than one with the strong mouthfeel and ABV, but very enjoyable. 4.75

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A. Like a deep black night. Nothing gets through this one. Very little head, but it's a dark burnt caramel color.

S. Espresso beans and bittersweet chocolate are very strong. Some milk chocolate as well for the sweetness. Roasted malts and a little hops are also in the back of this nose.

T. Very rich mocha and toasty malts. Slight tinge of the barrel aging on the back end along with the bitterness.

M. Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer of this gravity. Nice thickness. Very long and lingering bitterness... similar to drinking straight espresso.

D. My favorite of the Yeti beers thus far. Great Divide did well here.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

650 ML bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep black with a one finger brown head that dissipates within minutes

S - Coffee, which gets more prevelant as it warms, some bitter chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and a strange sweetness which is almost like sweet green raisins or caramelized sugar. Not getting much vanilla.

M - Smooth, creamy with a nice bit of carbonation. This beer really finishes dry thanks to the espresso and/or alcohol. A nice bit of heat as it warms.

T - A monstrous flavor of espresso hits you off the bat with some dark chocolate and a little sweetness. There is definetely some alcohol in this one but its not too aggressive. As it warms, the roastiness of the coffee and malt really shine through. A very nice sipper.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. With so many big flavors, this one is really well balanced. This is definitely one of my favorites ever but I'll split it with someone else next time. Should really smooth out with a little cellar time.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company