Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,012 | Hads: 3,496
3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is my first Yeti, and I wish I'd had the tried the unaged version without the espresso first.

It's a dark beer, black with a faint red brown at the edges of the glass and a thick, persistent head that brings espresso crema to mind.

The coffee aroma comes on strong with chocolate and a faint hoppiness in the background.

This is definitely a coffee beer, and the espresso character dominates, with hints of dark chocolate and maltiness fighting their way through the intense coffee presence. The coffee flavor fades a bit on the aftertaste, and an astringent chocolate flavor comes forward, like really dark chocolate or cocoa powder. There is a sweetness that lasts, tempered by alcohol and a coffee and hop bitterness.

This beer has a surprisingly light body for an imperial stout, and the mild carbonation makes it much easier to drink than I would have expected. It is a big beer, but it doesn't drink like one. The alcohol is perceptable, and there is a lingering bitterness that can be pleasant, but thankfully it's not syrupy at all.

I wanted to like this beer a lot, and my high expectations probably influenced my enjoyment of this beer for the worst. I did like it, but I was far from crazy about it. I'll drink it again in a different situation, but I'm not in any rush to try this again. (1,309 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle dated Dec 2010

A - Pours black with brown edges and a 2 finger brown head.

S - oak, faint coffee, chocolate, and roast come together nicely. Oak is more dominant than expected

T - Sweet taste, strong chocolate and roast. Not much coffee as expected with age, some hop bitterness. Sharp oaky flavor

M - low carbonation, smooth, full bodied

O - a really great stout, with a lot of sweetness, would like to try one fresh (430 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: roast, slightly burnt coffee. Milk chocolate and creamy notes. No green pepper which I hate in coffee beers.

Appearance: Black opaque, too dark for highlights. Dark brown rocky head that lingers for several minutes.

Taste: Chocolate malt and roast. Definite kilned malt flavor. Sweetness balances well with some assertive bitterness that still stands up to the malt bill.

Mouthfeel: medium heavy body, medium carbonation, coffee is very drying. Sweetness and mouthfeel is not over the top.

Overall: coffee forward imperial stout that is very complex and very drinkable. The price point for this beer makes it a great value. (638 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of those beers that would be on numerous trading and whale lists if it wasn't easy to find. It pours pitch black with a thick, golden head that rises to the top. The coffee and chocolate temper each other perfectly, especially the coffee which keeps the beer from being to sweet. All things considered, it is a fantastic stout (338 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

2009 vintage.

Pours deep, dark, and full of mystery.

Smells like morning - fresh coffee percolating with a hint of vanilla. Not the coffee vanilla bomb I expected - chocolate, roasted chicory, and malted milk balls.

Smooth and lush flavor and texture. The age has calmed the harsh alcohol edges and mixed the espresso and oak vanillins just right.

Overall definitely a beer I will revisit after a couple years in the cellar. (429 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Served into an oversized wine glass.

A: Pours beautifully black (or very dark brown) with a brown head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a watery persistent lace, at pouring it feels very heavy (thick bodied) with a small carbonation.

S: Coffee (d'uh), alcohol, malts, caramel, vanilla, bread and a hint of orange?? (that one I'm not 100 percent)

T: Coffee all the way....and then the caramel and vanilla, leaving a bittery warming feeling what else can you ask from a beer with a shot of expresso.

Overall I would have it again, not my go to beer, but depending in the occasion...I prefer the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout if I have to pick one to buy. (675 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was a great 32 growler this weekend and much better than the one bottle I had last year. Poured into my 8 oz stout glass produced big mocha head with tons of chocolate up front, vanilla notes in the middle and the coffee notes on the finish. Poured tighter into my 4 oz taster and or 5 oz snifter opened with huge coffee, with the vanilla and chocolate finish. So either way I enjoyed both and this is a chocolate coffee bomb. Terrific mouthfeel, this 32 dissapeared in no time at all. Overall outstanding. (515 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours oily black. Creamy, dense, tightly-packed, milk chocolate colored head. Holds extremely well, before it slowly falls, leaving a scattered film.

Smells of fresh coffee grounds, heavy roasted malt, and muted bakers chocolate. Soft, underlying vanilla, with a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste is similar to nose. Strong coffee and roast, almost competing for the spotlight. Vanilla comes out stronger than it did on the nose. Light bakers chocolate. A strong, bold, woodsy oak finish with moderate to high hop (or is that coffee) bitterness.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Creamy body. Slight residual malty stickiness. Liberally bittered finish. The sweetness is strong on the aftertaste.

This is likely the oakiest beer I have ever had, its almost distracting. The coffee characteristics are bold, without being overbearing (fd: Im a coffee addict). The subtle vanilla note is perfected throughout. A bit harsh on the bitterness, and I would have liked to see more sweetness. (985 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Spent $12 on one bomber, so this better be good!
Appearance: Pours like motor oil. Pitch black with thick rusty brown head.
Smell: Very powerful! Could smell it right after opening the bottle. Black coffee with some oaky dark chocolate.
Taste: Strong, bitter black coffee with a slight spiciness. Way more bitter than sweet (though it has some sweetness). A very slight booziness.
Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation. Pretty thick and chewy with no watery feeling common in many stouts I have encountered.
Overall: This is certainly a good to great beer, but I have had better coffee flavored stouts and this is not worth $12 a bomber. Would try again, but not near that price tag. This issue keeps me from recommending it. (728 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Oil black. You can't see in, and it can't see out. A finger of brown head that dissipates into a brown film where the slick stout caresses the glass. Great looking stuff

S - smells like a typical stout. Strong roasted malts with some chocolate qualities to it. Dark fruits are prevalent as well. No real coffee/espresso smell, which seems odd for a espresso RIS...

T - Oh! Ok, thats where the espresso is! This is better than how I wanted it to taste. Coffee, roasted malts, dark fruits with some chocolate undertones. Favorite tasting stout at this point! Great stuff

M - Reminds me of the mouthfeel of Ten Fidy. Coats the mouth, slight carbonation and full bodied. A pleasure to drink.

O - I was hesitant to spend the $11 for the bomber, but I am glad that I did! Top notch RIS for being a great espresso RIS (856 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Been a good while trying to get this one. It looks dark brown almost perfectly black. A good two finger dark brown head. Smell of chocolate and espresso! Tastes amazing with a really strong espresso taste. the chocolate after taste makes me want some coffee with my chocolate. Nice and thick just the way i like it. this is a great beer. if you see it you should buy it. (370 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All of the aged Yetis have been a little disappointing. The original is still the best incarnation. The chocolate aged is decent, but lacks the depth you would expect from the extra care and premium price. The 20th Anniversary is pretty good for a Belgian/Northern French style ale. (282 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottled April of 2010, so about a year and a half old. This is a pretty beer on the pour, mahogany in color with a nice dark tan head.
There are potent smells of coffee, dark chocolate, oak vanilla and molasses or toffee.

The taste certainly follows the nose, with coffee and chocolate dominating. Medium bodied, not overly creamy nor carbonated, in my opinion. The oak is there throughout, and lingers in the finish. There is a nice malt/hop balance for the style.

This is a nice offering from GDBC, a good all around stout. Great Divide is definitely a brewery I'm paying more attention to. (594 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from bottle into Better Beer glass.

Poured a rich 3 finger head, blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

My first glass had a chemical scent to it, but the second glass has intense espresso, including some woodyness.

Flavor is bold. Hits you with hops and espresso, some real dark chocolate in the back, but the star flavors are definitely the coffee and roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel could be better, honestly, but I have had this from tap, and it was much smoother there. It's quite bubbly, and theres a little of an alcohol bite.

For drink-ability, if it was on tap, give me another. But for bottle, I'd hold off, make it a once in a while treat. (669 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - black and brown. they both go nicely. creamy frothy head.

s - ice cream. vanilla ice cream. coffee. sweet chocolate.

t - espresso up the wazoo. damn thats a lot of coffee. like biting into 4 or 5 coffee beans at once. chocolate in the finish. cocoa.

m - seriously bitter. definitely outdoes most the flavors. ive had this beer in the past and i dont really remember the coffee being quite so strong.

o - theyre not joking. espresso. as my friend put it, its young. definitely a beer to be aged a while. (510 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle. Looks great. Very dark rich brown. Espresso/coffee are more present than chocolate, but thus the name! I could have done with a little less bitterness, but a very nice stout! (186 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

From a 22oz. bomber to my 11oz. GLBC snifter.

The latest in the march of stouts through my fridge, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti by Great Divide.
Appearance: Pitch black with a little less than a finger’s worth of dark mocha brown head after a mild pour. Head is frothy and thick, and sticks to the glass like velcro. A few stray carbonation bubbles make their way up the glass. A pretty stout. 4.75

Smell: A rich imperial stout aroma blended with espresso coffee notes. The oak aging is present in small doses. Chocolates and coffee are the base of the nose. 4

Taste: A very rich and dark coffee-chocolate flavor flows upon the taste buds. Espresso it is! It’s bitter, dark, sweet and delicious. Wood and vanilla from the oak aging ride side by side with the bitter espresso. Sappy hop presence provides a nice complement to the roasty malt. A bit of alcohol is present due to the high ABV, but it is masked well. Mild aftertaste is of bitter dark chocolate and rich coffee. It lasts for a long time and builds up with each sip. One could easily confuse this with a coffee! Bitterness tames and oak vanilla comes out with warmth. 4.75

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy body, a little rough because of the medium bitterness and dark intense malts. The carbonation is low. A little sticky on the lips. 4.25

Overall: This is my kind of brew. Behind the west coast IPA, the Russian Imperial stout is my favorite style. I find this one to be done very well. The dark chocolate, coffee and oak aging meld perfectly for a rich and delicious winter brew. Couldn’t have more than one with the strong mouthfeel and ABV, but very enjoyable. 4.75 (1,632 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -31%

I expected great things, but was disappointed. I like big stouts and coffee/chocolate is usually good.

The aroma was OK, but nothing mouth watering. I didn't get much coffee scent, I could pick it out if I tried. The chocolate was there.

Poured into a pint glass. It was black with 3 fingers of head. Looked great.

The taste was disappointing. Lead off was a heavy dose of sweetness, similar to ST Choklat, sweet, but not as rich or balanced. The middle was kind of bland, the sweet faded rapidly to be followed up by a sharply contrasting bitterness; not at all complimentary IMO.

I took it out of the fridge an hour before serving, I though that would be enough. As it continued to warm up after another hour in the glass, the espresso presented itself a bit more, still not all that much.

Not to keen on the drinkability. I never did get used to the stark contrast between big sweet start and huge bitter finish, with the hole in the middle. (951 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

650 ML bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep black with a one finger brown head that dissipates within minutes

S - Coffee, which gets more prevelant as it warms, some bitter chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and a strange sweetness which is almost like sweet green raisins or caramelized sugar. Not getting much vanilla.

M - Smooth, creamy with a nice bit of carbonation. This beer really finishes dry thanks to the espresso and/or alcohol. A nice bit of heat as it warms.

T - A monstrous flavor of espresso hits you off the bat with some dark chocolate and a little sweetness. There is definetely some alcohol in this one but its not too aggressive. As it warms, the roastiness of the coffee and malt really shine through. A very nice sipper.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. With so many big flavors, this one is really well balanced. This is definitely one of my favorites ever but I'll split it with someone else next time. Should really smooth out with a little cellar time. (988 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked this up in Portland, along with a bottle of Oak Aged Yeti. Drank it out of a normal pint glass.
This was a fantastic beer, but I really wish that I had laid it down and drank it a year from now. The Oak Aged Yeti is getting saved, for sure.

a- like black coffee with a one finger tan head

s- hops, "malt coffee", real coffee.

t- there is a lot going on in this beer. Up front, you gen this whole rummy molasses thing, then there's a blast of hops and roasted malts. There's a slight astringency, but it isn't too bad. Then on the tail, you get the espresso. And it's a very strongly defined espresso taste. Some coffee stouts loose the coffee, in this one, it's definitely there.

m- this one takes over your mouth for a long time. It has a lot of body. Definitely a sipper.

d- this took me a while to finish, I'll admit. But RIS aren't supposed to be fast drinkers. To style, I'd say that this was as drinkable as the best imperial stouts that I've had. Though, I would not plan on drinking more then one of them in a night. (1,037 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Pours pretty much black with a frothy tan head. Nose is mainly espresso with a hint of vanilla, delicious. The taste is very close with dark espresso and vanilla being the main components. Light carbonation and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV. Another stellar selection by Great Divide. Get it! (297 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Black as night with a cocoa colored head. Head dissipates into a thin lacing.
S: Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, with a slight touch of booze.
T: Much like the smell. I had one about 10 months ago and remember the coffee being much more present, which I enjoyed.
M: Spectacular. Thick, rich, creamy, with just a touch of carbonation.
O: This is a very good beer, however, I preferred it with a little less age due to the stronger presence of the coffee. I do have a few more bottles that I will try later to see how the tastes continue to mellow. (553 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Bought 3 bottles while in Atlanta this weekend and decided to drink one of them Saturday night. I couldn't find a good pint glass so I went with a coffee mug. Great choice for this beer. Appearance, what can I say about it, it just looks awesome in a coffee mug. My friends kept coming over and asking if it was coffee or beer. The head reminded me of what a nice espresso froth is supposed to look like. The beer itself is opaque black with maybe a slight brown hue to it. Smell, to me was of a nice coffee/espresso and chocolate and maybe a slight toffee note. I get little to no hop bitterness with this beer which I would say is do to the espresso being there. Taste, this has to be in my top 10 list of beers that I have drank. Takes like a mocha cappuccino almost, very chocolate and milk texture with a hint of oak and vanilla. The taste is very complex but with each sip you find something new. Mouthfeel, very heavy and full bodied. The beer seems like it would stain your entire mouth and I could have sworn my tongue turned brown because of it. Drinkability, very drinkable and warming. If I could afford it and my liver could take the abuse I would switch this out with my morning coffee and wouldn't be able to notice. Even though its served cool the alcohol warms you up from the inside. I love the oaked yeti, but this has taken its place on my list as what to look for when I go on a beer run. I can't wait to see what this beer is like with some age on it as well. (1,481 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a bomber into my Duvel tulip. Here we go:

A - As black as you can get, with a thin mocha colored head that lasts for awhile.

S - Really rich, I get chocolate every bit as much as coffee - plenty of both. A little vanilla.

T - Sweet chocolate with some oak flavor right off the bat. As it warms the coffee really begins to come through - almost overpowering. I actually prefer the taste when it's a little chillier - mutes the coffee but you still get the sweet and roasty malt flavors, which I really enjoy.

M - A bit thinner than I was expecting. Not bad, but there are certainly fuller feeling Imperial Stouts out there.

D - One in a sitting is more than plenty, certainly a sipper but tasty enough to go down easy.

I've enjoyed all the variations of YETI so far, add Oak-Aged Espresso to the list. (818 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

When poured from the bottle the beer pours a very dark chocolate brown with a nice light brown head. The scent is all rich roast coffee with a hint of chocolate malt. The taste is coffee though not as intense as the nose would indicate. The mouthfeel is full and rich but again not quite up to expectations. Overall this is a very tasty beer and I am glad I tried it. While the alcohol level stated on the bottle is high it is extremely well integrated and not at all noticeable when drinking this brew. The carbonation is also well integrated. (544 characters)

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company