Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,015 | Hads: 3,514
4.67/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me. I was at Cable Beverage looking around and I spotted this. I'd never tried it myself but I'd heard good things so I scopped it up. Damn glad I did, Luved it. Excellent pour with deep flavor. Highly recommend.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought 3 bottles while in Atlanta this weekend and decided to drink one of them Saturday night. I couldn't find a good pint glass so I went with a coffee mug. Great choice for this beer. Appearance, what can I say about it, it just looks awesome in a coffee mug. My friends kept coming over and asking if it was coffee or beer. The head reminded me of what a nice espresso froth is supposed to look like. The beer itself is opaque black with maybe a slight brown hue to it. Smell, to me was of a nice coffee/espresso and chocolate and maybe a slight toffee note. I get little to no hop bitterness with this beer which I would say is do to the espresso being there. Taste, this has to be in my top 10 list of beers that I have drank. Takes like a mocha cappuccino almost, very chocolate and milk texture with a hint of oak and vanilla. The taste is very complex but with each sip you find something new. Mouthfeel, very heavy and full bodied. The beer seems like it would stain your entire mouth and I could have sworn my tongue turned brown because of it. Drinkability, very drinkable and warming. If I could afford it and my liver could take the abuse I would switch this out with my morning coffee and wouldn't be able to notice. Even though its served cool the alcohol warms you up from the inside. I love the oaked yeti, but this has taken its place on my list as what to look for when I go on a beer run. I can't wait to see what this beer is like with some age on it as well.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bomber into my Duvel tulip. Here we go:

A - As black as you can get, with a thin mocha colored head that lasts for awhile.

S - Really rich, I get chocolate every bit as much as coffee - plenty of both. A little vanilla.

T - Sweet chocolate with some oak flavor right off the bat. As it warms the coffee really begins to come through - almost overpowering. I actually prefer the taste when it's a little chillier - mutes the coffee but you still get the sweet and roasty malt flavors, which I really enjoy.

M - A bit thinner than I was expecting. Not bad, but there are certainly fuller feeling Imperial Stouts out there.

D - One in a sitting is more than plenty, certainly a sipper but tasty enough to go down easy.

I've enjoyed all the variations of YETI so far, add Oak-Aged Espresso to the list.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

When poured from the bottle the beer pours a very dark chocolate brown with a nice light brown head. The scent is all rich roast coffee with a hint of chocolate malt. The taste is coffee though not as intense as the nose would indicate. The mouthfeel is full and rich but again not quite up to expectations. Overall this is a very tasty beer and I am glad I tried it. While the alcohol level stated on the bottle is high it is extremely well integrated and not at all noticeable when drinking this brew. The carbonation is also well integrated.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful coffee flavor, great aroma and great stout look and feel. Pours black as night with a thick head. I'm not a coffee drinker, but this has a great balance of favors to it and the coffee accentuates the flavor without being too overpowering. I agree world class beer here.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A. Like a deep black night. Nothing gets through this one. Very little head, but it's a dark burnt caramel color.

S. Espresso beans and bittersweet chocolate are very strong. Some milk chocolate as well for the sweetness. Roasted malts and a little hops are also in the back of this nose.

T. Very rich mocha and toasty malts. Slight tinge of the barrel aging on the back end along with the bitterness.

M. Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer of this gravity. Nice thickness. Very long and lingering bitterness... similar to drinking straight espresso.

D. My favorite of the Yeti beers thus far. Great Divide did well here.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Pours black like a typical stout with larger than average, fluffy, 2.5" head
S- Smells strongly of chocolate, followed by coffee. I would expect the coffee aroma to be stronger, but that chocolate scent really comes through. Smells almost like milk chocolate like ST Mokah. Seems like this one will be very sweet.
T- Taste somewhat follows the scent. Chocolate and coffee. Thought it would be super sweet, but the oak chips add an earthy tone that helps balance it out. The oak flavor is definitely very subtle, but does just enough to balance out what would be a super sweet beer.
M- Mouthfeel is good, but nothing really jumps out about it. Not too thick, not terribly thin. Wouldn't mind if it was a little thicker.
D- Alcohol is excellently masked and hardly detectable. If it weren't for the price tag, I could drink this a bunch.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Great Divide Yeti snifter, deep chocolate brown with a nice three finger mocha head. Melts to a ring with nice lacing as I (quickly) empty the glass. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate with a bit of a roasted coffee/espresso bitterness. Smells absolutely delicious.

Mouth is full bodied with medium carbonation and silky smooth feel with a little bit of a dry edge as it fades away.

Oh lordy, this is one decadent and amazing beer. I love the original Yeti, and Oak Aged Yeti, but I've only had a small tasting of the Espresso Yeti at the 2008 GABF. I remember liking it. But now I love it. Huge chocolate and malt ball taste. Roasted with that Espresso bitterness and a mild hop presense. Sweet and bitter and milky smooth.

This is extremely drinkable for a big stout. Could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm drawn to sip after sip and watching the glass empty too fast.

This is a great beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a viscous black, with an incredible coffee ice cream-colored head that sticks around. As this head recedes it leaves substantial lacing down the glass. Great stuff.

S - Roasted malts and coffee come through initially, with an alcoholic whiff that helps one to know that this is an imp stout. The acidity of the roastiness and coffee combined with the alcohol is very pleasant.

T - The rich, vanilla oakiness of the decaffeinated version of this beer takes a back seat to the acidic bitterness of the coffee and malts, but are still there nonetheless. The chocolate qualities of the roasted malts blend well with the acidic coffee tastes as well. Hops come through just a bit to lend a dirt-like quality to the "coffeeness" which works well.

M&D- Creamy and viscous, about what an oak-aged imperial stout should be. The ABV on this is well hidden, so I could see putting a few of these back in a night before calling it quits.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a Bruery tulip. On first pour the beer appears thick and viscous with about a one inch head that dissipated shortly after the pour. The head has a nice stouty brown color to it. The beer smells of all malt, sweetness and some faint coffee aroma. This is a very smooth beer for 9.5%. The oak aging definitely helps to round it out a bit. This is a sweet beer but deceptively little alcohol taste comes through. The espresso hits you up front with a lingering malty finish with tastes of vanilla. The beer does not taste as viscous as it looks. This is a full bodied beer but it does not feel as thick and oily as I was expecting, There is a little bit of viscosity on the tongue, but not a lot. This beer is very drinkable for 9.5%. My beer was bottled on 4/2/10 (cheers for date stamps!), I am enjoying this fine beer almost seven months post bottling and if anything I think it was too soon. This is a beer that I think would only improve with some more time as the flavors round out and meld together. I will have to buy another bottle to age.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours very black and syrupy, has a small dark brown head and hardly any fingers on the ol' glass.

S- A very earthy strong dark roast coffee smell with a small amount of hops.

T- Delicious! Obviously an over abundance amount of dark roast coffee finishes somewhat bitter but the bitterness comes from the strong coffee roast and not so much the hops.

M- Super thick and creamy, feels good on the palate.

D- This stout is exceptional! Creaminess, boldness flavor, and a strong alcohol kick, comfort level on this drink is very high. Amazing stout and it's local. Would definitely purchase another bottle ...or 50.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Very dark. Can't see lacing. Little to no head light ring of foam.
Smell Coffee and roasted notes.

Taste bold very much esspresso and hops. After taste is almost all coffee. keep in mind this is espresso not coffee, and the boldness and complexity comes through as well.

Mouthfeel. Can't decide reminds me of ipa with a shot of espresso, lots of hops. Hits easy then flavors explode and go to a mild after taste that sticks in your mouth for a long time.

Drinkability? The flavor sticks so heavy I can't say I could take more than one or 2 of these.

Overall not sure, it's a niche thing. Def interesting. I could see this being something I crave on the rare occasion but not something I'd drink often.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses to be shared with the room mate. Thick, midnight black liquid sat beneath a frothy brown head. Head retained the entire time, and left behind a massive amount of brown lacing, to the point that I wondered if I could ever get the glass clean again. Awesome looking beer, to say the least.

Smell is of extreme coffee, mixing with some chocolate, and a healthy dose of hops. A little bit of oak mixes in as well, but it's definitly been hidden by all of the other dimensions.

Taste is of very bitter and tannic espresso, milk chocolate, more hop flavor, and subtle vanilla. The expresso, again takes it over.

Mouth feel is thick, but very dry. The bitterness and espresso combine to make for a very bitter beer that dry's out your pallet. In fact, I felt this may be one of the most bitter brews I have ever had. This brought down the drinkability for me, since it isn't something I really want out of my stout.

In the end, I felt like there were too many dimensions built into the beer. The oak and stout flavors ended up being muted while the espresso and hops too over. It was still good, but I prefer the normal or oak aged yeti. Either way, I was wired after this brew.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Roast, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit notes. Woody and earthy.

A: Opaque black with a creamy copper head.

F: Vanilla. Some woodiness which may be masquarading as hops. Sweetness and roasty.

M: Medium carbonation which keeps the full body texture off the tongue and fills the mouth. Very creamy.

Overall: A very pleasing marriage of dark roast and coffee flavors and aromas with oak. Very complex, with the coffee aroma that keeps this unique beer drinkable...if you love coffee and chocolate try this one.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on tap at Apex in Portland - 10oz

A: pitch black with nearly no head but massive lacing of dark tan foam
S: dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, chocolate and very coffee forward
T: Sweet with an initial coffee presence, carbonation is mild but good and the alcohol only shows through slightly.
M/D: velvet with minimal carb bite. Easily alcoholic, I couldn't drink much more than this 10oz glass. Awesome beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I poured this somewhat aggressively from a 22 ounce bottle into two large red wine glasses. Shared with my loved one, which is always nice.

a: Deep dark almost blackish color with a medium brown head - much like the color of the foam that appears on the top of french press coffee, coincidentally.

s: Coffee, coffee, coffee. Interesting sensation because it smelled very much like a cup of coffee, but it wasn't generating the smell by steam/evaporation.

t: Great. Again, the coffee is very strong, so much so that the oakiness is not too intense, which is fine with me.

m: This was not quite as syrupy as I expected - in fact, it was less so than the regular Yeti, which I wasn't expecting. Still very round and full-bodied.

d: I wouldn't want to drink too much of this, but that's always my preference with imperial stouts. A little dab'll do ya.

One note, I think this beer may contain caffeine - I had a bit of trouble sleeping after this one, but it was worth it.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured into a goblet.

Smell: strong coffee/sweet espresso.

Appearance: thick brown syrup, what little head that formed dissipated quickly.

Mouthfeel: a bit harsh honestly, I was expected a little smoother, a little easier feel.

The taste: sweet start of an espresso that gives way quickly to a burnt coffee taste followed by the bite of alcohol. The taste was a bit harsher.

I guess I was expecting a thick, dark beer with a coffee/esperesso taste but a little bit smoother to go down.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

Found this at a store in bloomington il. Split a bomber with my friend (drewba) poured into a snifter.

Pours dark and thick with an awesome dark tan head. Stayed for a little bit then went bye bye. little to no lacing.

When I first cracked the bottle I got a huge whiff of hops. Once I poured into the glass, the coffee just completely took over. Huge coffee aroma with a little chocolate and some hops.

Tastes just like it smells. Huge amounts of bitter coffee with a hint of chocolate. No booze at all. Really this beer is like drinking 10% coffee. Pretty awesome if you ask me. The only downfall is that if you were wanting to taste anything else, you can't. My palate is crap and I only get coffee.

This is the kind of beer you would either drink at 6am waiting in line for DLD or if you were falling asleep while drinking to perk you back up. I could have easily drank a bomber of it.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful dark brown to black body with a fingers worth of espresso colored head which swirl to leave the most interesting to patterns to stare at.

S: Big coffee and espresso scents upfront, then chocolate enters the picture. Finally the oak finishes it off.

T: Coffee and espresso

M: Warm and all consuming. Great mouthfeel.

O: Wonderful!

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been impressed with all the Yeti brews and this one is no exception and would be considered my favorite version.

A - Poured from a bomber into a Lost Abbey Teku glass. Extremely dark, essentially black, and thick with very nice dark brown head. Strong lacing that lasts until the last sip.

S - Dominated by espresso, very roasted with some vanilla and oak.

T- Strong bitter espresso up front. Follows with semi-sweet chocolate and a good amount of vanilla. I get some slight oak towards the end.

F - Thick and creamy, although this is where I think it could improve the most. A bit more viscosity is needed IMO.

O - I really love this beer and enjoy it every time I have it. You definitely need to like coffee to fully enjoy and appreciate how good this one is. It's a little unbalanced towards the bitter espresso, but that's what I love about it.

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a) black w/ brown lacing w/ large bubbles; looks a little thin compared to Yet which i don't know if i fully understand why

s) best part of this beer. wonderful dark chocolate and espresso. want to smell some other flavors but love it for what it is

t) delicious chocolate initially and then finishes with coffee all the way to the back of throat and then chocolate aftertaste. dessert beer

m) smooth, drys out mouth a bit. no stickyness. feels light.

d) I will revisit but need to split a bommer w/ someone. can not drink all night.

best offering from great divide w/ out a doubt

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

Dark and delicious. Great head retention, ok lacing but gotta love that deep mocha colored head. A nice coffee tang comes through before the oak does in the nose but seems not quite as complex as it really is upon the first sip. Drinking it almost perfectly at proper serving temp but feel like letting it warm to see just how interesting this brew is gonna get. A very tasty brew. All the usual suspects are there to comfort me; vanilla, oak, coffee, plenty of roasted malt & even some hops. Great body. The astringency that comes with the bitter coffee notes is really well balanced. Overall excellent mouthfeel for the style I'd have to say. A must try for lovers of oaked stouts, coffee stouts, vanilla porters and the like. Oh almost forgot, alcohol no where to be found in the nose, taste or mouthfeel. If it was 10.5 or 11% that might be a complement, but a 9.5% ahhhh, honestly I think there's room in this delicious brew for another couple hundred pounds of malt. Then again I'm always a fan of going bigger so take it for what it's worth.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

A - pours black as night, with a small brown head that sticks around. Really nice looking brew.

S - smells like coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. A slight hint of oak and booze as well.

T - Pretty much exactly how it smells, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts. The booze is a little bit stronger in the taste...finishes very bitter..not sure if I care for the finish all that much.

M - This is a very viscous brew. Feels similar to how I imagine motor oil would feel. Slight carbonation, but not much.

D - Plenty of flavor, but not very drinkable. The harsh finish definitely detracts a bit. This is the type of beer you want to sip slowly.

I tried to share this beer with my girlfriend and it was a bit much for her so I'm left to finish off the bomber..this might take me a while.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a pint glass and built up a 2 finger mocha colored head that disappeared quickly with no traces of lacing, jet black. Smells just like the name implies, heavy expresso presence followed by roasted malts, oak flavor lingers in the background and is pretty subtle. Extreme expresso flavor, a little too much for me but not bad, followed by a well pronounced roasted malt flavor backed by a little bit of oakiness. Medium bodied, medium carbonated beer that goes down pretty smoothly. Very easy to drink but the expresso taste is a little strong for me.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Smells great, right away the coffee and chocolate, toasty, nutty, vanilla, with hints of caramel. Alot of things going on in this beer. Black, dark black if there is such a thing. Head is brownish tan, frothy, with lacing at the end. This is definitely a very good imperial stout with a deeper taste on the coffee, lots of it. What you smell is what you will taste. Bitterness is high but is great with this kind of beer. Full bodied, creamy, malty, intense beer. This is a great imperial stout, next time will try with breakfast!

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company