Join our email list →

American Double / Imperial Stout | 9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

Reviews: 1,027 | Hads: 3,562
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A - Oil black. You can't see in, and it can't see out. A finger of brown head that dissipates into a brown film where the slick stout caresses the glass. Great looking stuff

S - smells like a typical stout. Strong roasted malts with some chocolate qualities to it. Dark fruits are prevalent as well. No real coffee/espresso smell, which seems odd for a espresso RIS...

T - Oh! Ok, thats where the espresso is! This is better than how I wanted it to taste. Coffee, roasted malts, dark fruits with some chocolate undertones. Favorite tasting stout at this point! Great stuff

M - Reminds me of the mouthfeel of Ten Fidy. Coats the mouth, slight carbonation and full bodied. A pleasure to drink.

O - I was hesitant to spend the $11 for the bomber, but I am glad that I did! Top notch RIS for being a great espresso RIS

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Spent $12 on one bomber, so this better be good!
Appearance: Pours like motor oil. Pitch black with thick rusty brown head.
Smell: Very powerful! Could smell it right after opening the bottle. Black coffee with some oaky dark chocolate.
Taste: Strong, bitter black coffee with a slight spiciness. Way more bitter than sweet (though it has some sweetness). A very slight booziness.
Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation. Pretty thick and chewy with no watery feeling common in many stouts I have encountered.
Overall: This is certainly a good to great beer, but I have had better coffee flavored stouts and this is not worth $12 a bomber. Would try again, but not near that price tag. This issue keeps me from recommending it.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Been a good while trying to get this one. It looks dark brown almost perfectly black. A good two finger dark brown head. Smell of chocolate and espresso! Tastes amazing with a really strong espresso taste. the chocolate after taste makes me want some coffee with my chocolate. Nice and thick just the way i like it. this is a great beer. if you see it you should buy it.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from bottle into Better Beer glass.

Poured a rich 3 finger head, blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

My first glass had a chemical scent to it, but the second glass has intense espresso, including some woodyness.

Flavor is bold. Hits you with hops and espresso, some real dark chocolate in the back, but the star flavors are definitely the coffee and roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel could be better, honestly, but I have had this from tap, and it was much smoother there. It's quite bubbly, and theres a little of an alcohol bite.

For drink-ability, if it was on tap, give me another. But for bottle, I'd hold off, make it a once in a while treat.

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - black and brown. they both go nicely. creamy frothy head.

s - ice cream. vanilla ice cream. coffee. sweet chocolate.

t - espresso up the wazoo. damn thats a lot of coffee. like biting into 4 or 5 coffee beans at once. chocolate in the finish. cocoa.

m - seriously bitter. definitely outdoes most the flavors. ive had this beer in the past and i dont really remember the coffee being quite so strong.

o - theyre not joking. espresso. as my friend put it, its young. definitely a beer to be aged a while.

2.91/5  rDev -31.4%

I expected great things, but was disappointed. I like big stouts and coffee/chocolate is usually good.

The aroma was OK, but nothing mouth watering. I didn't get much coffee scent, I could pick it out if I tried. The chocolate was there.

Poured into a pint glass. It was black with 3 fingers of head. Looked great.

The taste was disappointing. Lead off was a heavy dose of sweetness, similar to ST Choklat, sweet, but not as rich or balanced. The middle was kind of bland, the sweet faded rapidly to be followed up by a sharply contrasting bitterness; not at all complimentary IMO.

I took it out of the fridge an hour before serving, I though that would be enough. As it continued to warm up after another hour in the glass, the espresso presented itself a bit more, still not all that much.

Not to keen on the drinkability. I never did get used to the stark contrast between big sweet start and huge bitter finish, with the hole in the middle.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

From a 22oz. bomber to my 11oz. GLBC snifter.

The latest in the march of stouts through my fridge, Espresso Oak Aged Yeti by Great Divide.
Appearance: Pitch black with a little less than a finger’s worth of dark mocha brown head after a mild pour. Head is frothy and thick, and sticks to the glass like velcro. A few stray carbonation bubbles make their way up the glass. A pretty stout. 4.75

Smell: A rich imperial stout aroma blended with espresso coffee notes. The oak aging is present in small doses. Chocolates and coffee are the base of the nose. 4

Taste: A very rich and dark coffee-chocolate flavor flows upon the taste buds. Espresso it is! It’s bitter, dark, sweet and delicious. Wood and vanilla from the oak aging ride side by side with the bitter espresso. Sappy hop presence provides a nice complement to the roasty malt. A bit of alcohol is present due to the high ABV, but it is masked well. Mild aftertaste is of bitter dark chocolate and rich coffee. It lasts for a long time and builds up with each sip. One could easily confuse this with a coffee! Bitterness tames and oak vanilla comes out with warmth. 4.75

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy body, a little rough because of the medium bitterness and dark intense malts. The carbonation is low. A little sticky on the lips. 4.25

Overall: This is my kind of brew. Behind the west coast IPA, the Russian Imperial stout is my favorite style. I find this one to be done very well. The dark chocolate, coffee and oak aging meld perfectly for a rich and delicious winter brew. Couldn’t have more than one with the strong mouthfeel and ABV, but very enjoyable. 4.75

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A. Like a deep black night. Nothing gets through this one. Very little head, but it's a dark burnt caramel color.

S. Espresso beans and bittersweet chocolate are very strong. Some milk chocolate as well for the sweetness. Roasted malts and a little hops are also in the back of this nose.

T. Very rich mocha and toasty malts. Slight tinge of the barrel aging on the back end along with the bitterness.

M. Just the right amount of carbonation for a beer of this gravity. Nice thickness. Very long and lingering bitterness... similar to drinking straight espresso.

D. My favorite of the Yeti beers thus far. Great Divide did well here.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

650 ML bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep black with a one finger brown head that dissipates within minutes

S - Coffee, which gets more prevelant as it warms, some bitter chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and a strange sweetness which is almost like sweet green raisins or caramelized sugar. Not getting much vanilla.

M - Smooth, creamy with a nice bit of carbonation. This beer really finishes dry thanks to the espresso and/or alcohol. A nice bit of heat as it warms.

T - A monstrous flavor of espresso hits you off the bat with some dark chocolate and a little sweetness. There is definetely some alcohol in this one but its not too aggressive. As it warms, the roastiness of the coffee and malt really shine through. A very nice sipper.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. With so many big flavors, this one is really well balanced. This is definitely one of my favorites ever but I'll split it with someone else next time. Should really smooth out with a little cellar time.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked this up in Portland, along with a bottle of Oak Aged Yeti. Drank it out of a normal pint glass.
This was a fantastic beer, but I really wish that I had laid it down and drank it a year from now. The Oak Aged Yeti is getting saved, for sure.

a- like black coffee with a one finger tan head

s- hops, "malt coffee", real coffee.

t- there is a lot going on in this beer. Up front, you gen this whole rummy molasses thing, then there's a blast of hops and roasted malts. There's a slight astringency, but it isn't too bad. Then on the tail, you get the espresso. And it's a very strongly defined espresso taste. Some coffee stouts loose the coffee, in this one, it's definitely there.

m- this one takes over your mouth for a long time. It has a lot of body. Definitely a sipper.

d- this took me a while to finish, I'll admit. But RIS aren't supposed to be fast drinkers. To style, I'd say that this was as drinkable as the best imperial stouts that I've had. Though, I would not plan on drinking more then one of them in a night.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours pretty much black with a frothy tan head. Nose is mainly espresso with a hint of vanilla, delicious. The taste is very close with dark espresso and vanilla being the main components. Light carbonation and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV. Another stellar selection by Great Divide. Get it!

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Black as night with a cocoa colored head. Head dissipates into a thin lacing.
S: Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, with a slight touch of booze.
T: Much like the smell. I had one about 10 months ago and remember the coffee being much more present, which I enjoyed.
M: Spectacular. Thick, rich, creamy, with just a touch of carbonation.
O: This is a very good beer, however, I preferred it with a little less age due to the stronger presence of the coffee. I do have a few more bottles that I will try later to see how the tastes continue to mellow.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought 3 bottles while in Atlanta this weekend and decided to drink one of them Saturday night. I couldn't find a good pint glass so I went with a coffee mug. Great choice for this beer. Appearance, what can I say about it, it just looks awesome in a coffee mug. My friends kept coming over and asking if it was coffee or beer. The head reminded me of what a nice espresso froth is supposed to look like. The beer itself is opaque black with maybe a slight brown hue to it. Smell, to me was of a nice coffee/espresso and chocolate and maybe a slight toffee note. I get little to no hop bitterness with this beer which I would say is do to the espresso being there. Taste, this has to be in my top 10 list of beers that I have drank. Takes like a mocha cappuccino almost, very chocolate and milk texture with a hint of oak and vanilla. The taste is very complex but with each sip you find something new. Mouthfeel, very heavy and full bodied. The beer seems like it would stain your entire mouth and I could have sworn my tongue turned brown because of it. Drinkability, very drinkable and warming. If I could afford it and my liver could take the abuse I would switch this out with my morning coffee and wouldn't be able to notice. Even though its served cool the alcohol warms you up from the inside. I love the oaked yeti, but this has taken its place on my list as what to look for when I go on a beer run. I can't wait to see what this beer is like with some age on it as well.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bomber into my Duvel tulip. Here we go:

A - As black as you can get, with a thin mocha colored head that lasts for awhile.

S - Really rich, I get chocolate every bit as much as coffee - plenty of both. A little vanilla.

T - Sweet chocolate with some oak flavor right off the bat. As it warms the coffee really begins to come through - almost overpowering. I actually prefer the taste when it's a little chillier - mutes the coffee but you still get the sweet and roasty malt flavors, which I really enjoy.

M - A bit thinner than I was expecting. Not bad, but there are certainly fuller feeling Imperial Stouts out there.

D - One in a sitting is more than plenty, certainly a sipper but tasty enough to go down easy.

I've enjoyed all the variations of YETI so far, add Oak-Aged Espresso to the list.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

When poured from the bottle the beer pours a very dark chocolate brown with a nice light brown head. The scent is all rich roast coffee with a hint of chocolate malt. The taste is coffee though not as intense as the nose would indicate. The mouthfeel is full and rich but again not quite up to expectations. Overall this is a very tasty beer and I am glad I tried it. While the alcohol level stated on the bottle is high it is extremely well integrated and not at all noticeable when drinking this brew. The carbonation is also well integrated.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Pours black like a typical stout with larger than average, fluffy, 2.5" head
S- Smells strongly of chocolate, followed by coffee. I would expect the coffee aroma to be stronger, but that chocolate scent really comes through. Smells almost like milk chocolate like ST Mokah. Seems like this one will be very sweet.
T- Taste somewhat follows the scent. Chocolate and coffee. Thought it would be super sweet, but the oak chips add an earthy tone that helps balance it out. The oak flavor is definitely very subtle, but does just enough to balance out what would be a super sweet beer.
M- Mouthfeel is good, but nothing really jumps out about it. Not too thick, not terribly thin. Wouldn't mind if it was a little thicker.
D- Alcohol is excellently masked and hardly detectable. If it weren't for the price tag, I could drink this a bunch.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Great Divide Yeti snifter, deep chocolate brown with a nice three finger mocha head. Melts to a ring with nice lacing as I (quickly) empty the glass. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate with a bit of a roasted coffee/espresso bitterness. Smells absolutely delicious.

Mouth is full bodied with medium carbonation and silky smooth feel with a little bit of a dry edge as it fades away.

Oh lordy, this is one decadent and amazing beer. I love the original Yeti, and Oak Aged Yeti, but I've only had a small tasting of the Espresso Yeti at the 2008 GABF. I remember liking it. But now I love it. Huge chocolate and malt ball taste. Roasted with that Espresso bitterness and a mild hop presense. Sweet and bitter and milky smooth.

This is extremely drinkable for a big stout. Could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm drawn to sip after sip and watching the glass empty too fast.

This is a great beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a viscous black, with an incredible coffee ice cream-colored head that sticks around. As this head recedes it leaves substantial lacing down the glass. Great stuff.

S - Roasted malts and coffee come through initially, with an alcoholic whiff that helps one to know that this is an imp stout. The acidity of the roastiness and coffee combined with the alcohol is very pleasant.

T - The rich, vanilla oakiness of the decaffeinated version of this beer takes a back seat to the acidic bitterness of the coffee and malts, but are still there nonetheless. The chocolate qualities of the roasted malts blend well with the acidic coffee tastes as well. Hops come through just a bit to lend a dirt-like quality to the "coffeeness" which works well.

M&D- Creamy and viscous, about what an oak-aged imperial stout should be. The ABV on this is well hidden, so I could see putting a few of these back in a night before calling it quits.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a Bruery tulip. On first pour the beer appears thick and viscous with about a one inch head that dissipated shortly after the pour. The head has a nice stouty brown color to it. The beer smells of all malt, sweetness and some faint coffee aroma. This is a very smooth beer for 9.5%. The oak aging definitely helps to round it out a bit. This is a sweet beer but deceptively little alcohol taste comes through. The espresso hits you up front with a lingering malty finish with tastes of vanilla. The beer does not taste as viscous as it looks. This is a full bodied beer but it does not feel as thick and oily as I was expecting, There is a little bit of viscosity on the tongue, but not a lot. This beer is very drinkable for 9.5%. My beer was bottled on 4/2/10 (cheers for date stamps!), I am enjoying this fine beer almost seven months post bottling and if anything I think it was too soon. This is a beer that I think would only improve with some more time as the flavors round out and meld together. I will have to buy another bottle to age.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours very black and syrupy, has a small dark brown head and hardly any fingers on the ol' glass.

S- A very earthy strong dark roast coffee smell with a small amount of hops.

T- Delicious! Obviously an over abundance amount of dark roast coffee finishes somewhat bitter but the bitterness comes from the strong coffee roast and not so much the hops.

M- Super thick and creamy, feels good on the palate.

D- This stout is exceptional! Creaminess, boldness flavor, and a strong alcohol kick, comfort level on this drink is very high. Amazing stout and it's local. Would definitely purchase another bottle ...or 50.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Very dark. Can't see lacing. Little to no head light ring of foam.
Smell Coffee and roasted notes.

Taste bold very much esspresso and hops. After taste is almost all coffee. keep in mind this is espresso not coffee, and the boldness and complexity comes through as well.

Mouthfeel. Can't decide reminds me of ipa with a shot of espresso, lots of hops. Hits easy then flavors explode and go to a mild after taste that sticks in your mouth for a long time.

Drinkability? The flavor sticks so heavy I can't say I could take more than one or 2 of these.

Overall not sure, it's a niche thing. Def interesting. I could see this being something I crave on the rare occasion but not something I'd drink often.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses to be shared with the room mate. Thick, midnight black liquid sat beneath a frothy brown head. Head retained the entire time, and left behind a massive amount of brown lacing, to the point that I wondered if I could ever get the glass clean again. Awesome looking beer, to say the least.

Smell is of extreme coffee, mixing with some chocolate, and a healthy dose of hops. A little bit of oak mixes in as well, but it's definitly been hidden by all of the other dimensions.

Taste is of very bitter and tannic espresso, milk chocolate, more hop flavor, and subtle vanilla. The expresso, again takes it over.

Mouth feel is thick, but very dry. The bitterness and espresso combine to make for a very bitter beer that dry's out your pallet. In fact, I felt this may be one of the most bitter brews I have ever had. This brought down the drinkability for me, since it isn't something I really want out of my stout.

In the end, I felt like there were too many dimensions built into the beer. The oak and stout flavors ended up being muted while the espresso and hops too over. It was still good, but I prefer the normal or oak aged yeti. Either way, I was wired after this brew.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Roast, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit notes. Woody and earthy.

A: Opaque black with a creamy copper head.

F: Vanilla. Some woodiness which may be masquarading as hops. Sweetness and roasty.

M: Medium carbonation which keeps the full body texture off the tongue and fills the mouth. Very creamy.

Overall: A very pleasing marriage of dark roast and coffee flavors and aromas with oak. Very complex, with the coffee aroma that keeps this unique beer drinkable...if you love coffee and chocolate try this one.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on tap at Apex in Portland - 10oz

A: pitch black with nearly no head but massive lacing of dark tan foam
S: dark roasted malt, sweet caramel, chocolate and very coffee forward
T: Sweet with an initial coffee presence, carbonation is mild but good and the alcohol only shows through slightly.
M/D: velvet with minimal carb bite. Easily alcoholic, I couldn't drink much more than this 10oz glass. Awesome beer.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have been impressed with all the Yeti brews and this one is no exception and would be considered my favorite version.

A - Poured from a bomber into a Lost Abbey Teku glass. Extremely dark, essentially black, and thick with very nice dark brown head. Strong lacing that lasts until the last sip.

S - Dominated by espresso, very roasted with some vanilla and oak.

T- Strong bitter espresso up front. Follows with semi-sweet chocolate and a good amount of vanilla. I get some slight oak towards the end.

F - Thick and creamy, although this is where I think it could improve the most. A bit more viscosity is needed IMO.

O - I really love this beer and enjoy it every time I have it. You definitely need to like coffee to fully enjoy and appreciate how good this one is. It's a little unbalanced towards the bitter espresso, but that's what I love about it.

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company