Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,372 | Reviews: 1,001

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled on Dec 16, 2011. Poured from a bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Pour is fairly viscous and nearly black. There is a huge tan head that leaves excellent lacing. Looks fabulous! Nose has nice notes of coffee, baker's chocolate, toasted malt, and a hint of vanilla.

This beer has a full body, creamy mouthfeel, and the flavor was something of a surprise. I've had the regular Oak-Aged Yeti and, while I enjoyed it quite a bit, I thought it was a little bitter. With the addition of coffee, I figured this beer would be even more bitter, but I was wrong. The beer is certainly bitter, but it is still sweeter than I expected. In the front of the palate I get creamy chocolate and vanilla notes, then at mid-palate the slightly astringent oak, hop, and coffee notes kick in. The finish is fairly sustained, leaving nice coffee notes lingering behind.

Overall, this is an outstanding coffee stout. I have to rank it below Alesmith Speedway Stout, but it's pretty close to Founders Breakfast Stout. Definitely recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 18/4/12

A much like the original version this one's black with a large three finger dark tan head that has great retention but this version leaves just some random patches of lace opposed to distinct rings

S chocolate syrup and coco, vanilla, booze, faint citric hops, and not as much espresso as I expected, smells pretty good though with some chocolate pudding

T what I smell but with a heavy blast of espresso, massive even, I'm amazed how much more espresso I taste compared to the smell, cold coffee on the finish almost reminds me of the coffee candies I find in Vietnamese restaurants around here, some dark roast char and wood work well with the espresso

M full but not as full as I would guess from how dark it is, just enough bubbles to give it some life and a little heat, finish is burnt wood and coffee and it lingers for ages

O pretty well rounded stuff going on here, rich, roasted and intense, not quite a Peche Mortal but not too far off

I'm pretty happy with all the Yeti stouts sent by the most awesome Rutager, all solid brews I'd want to drink again and age, I'm wondering how long I'm going to be awake or if there's enough booze in this to put me to sleep

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass, bottled 1/02/12. Poured aggressively and got a 4 inch mocha head, that slowly dissipates leaving layers of lace. Smell is roasted expresso, vanilla, maybe tobacco, and some leather. Taste is 95% Expresso and 5% the other flavors from the nose. Body is large like all the Yetis, a nice amount of life for the style, maybe a little on the dry side, and for stout lovers very drinkable. This is like all Yetis, wonderful. Great Divide is the master of stouts.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured this sucker into a Tulip, with a nice dark tan finger and a half head forming at the top. Really dark brown spirits escaped from the 650ml bottle into the glass. Once collected in the glass no light was going to penetrate the brew.

The aroma was very much in line with most stouts I've had with a hint more bitter coffee bean wafting in to the proceedings.

As for the taste? Some beers simply demand you slow down when drinking them. If ever there was a sipper, this has to be up there with the best of them. Took me a good hour+ to savor this bottle. I might go so far as to say it should probably be split, if not for the alcohol content, then for the strong flavor that comes out of the bottle that practically dulls the palette after a bit.

My favorite thing about this beer is the creamy mouthfeel. Man, this close to a 5. Great stuff. On the first sip, I'll admit to thinking the coffee flavor was trouncing everything else, but it pulls back a bit and lets everything else come out to play soon after. That oak flavor is faintly in there in the background. I'd wish a bit more for it, but I'm not complaining. A stellar bear. Bravo Great Divide.

maybe my least favorite of the yeti's, which is to say that i still really liked it, but just that the espresso doesnt add much for me. pours dark and thick like they all do, with a lasting red/brown head and a lot of lacing. smells a it more like coffee than the regular yeti does, but it is not overpowering. the oak flavors are more prominent in this one, maybe becuase of the acidity of the coffee, which feels quite high to me. some bitter coffee notes in the finish as well. the feel is low carbonation and smooth, except for the acidity from the java. overall its not a beer id really want to drink a whole one of i dont think. the normal yeti and its oaked brethren have plenty of this espresso flavor already, and the addition of more throws off the ph to a funny level in my opinion.

3.76/5  rDev -11.9%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black with about a finger of brown head. Retention is great.

S: I get strong spicy oak with espresso, dark chocolate, and floral hops. Oak is really overpowering, but the aroma is still quite nice.

T: Again, overpowering oak with lots of dark chocolate and bitter hoppiness. Espresso builds stronger as the beer warms, as does milk chocolate. Once the beer gets up to room temperature, it's quite smooth and nice. The oakiness and hoppiness seems to fade a bit.

M: A tad thin with strong prickly carbonation.

O: The oak on this is really strong, but this beer is quite nice when it warms up. Still a bit oaky and hoppy for me, but a nice beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Like midnight, with a firm 3 cm dense mocha head. Halo ringlets of lacing track the Yeti's history.

S: Pungent chalky espresso explodes out of the glass. I'm having flashbacks of brewing coffee as a breakfast busboy. Syrupy-sweet chocolate malts show up soon after the initial coffee bean jolt. There are hints here and there of smoke, vanilla, dark fruits, caramel, booze, and a touch of oak.

T: Coffee beans lead the bill, but not as heavy as expected. Bittersweet malts set the backdrop. Dull dark fruits peek through the coffee surface midway through. Vanilla, smoke, and peat peek through as well. I don't get much of the oak chips at all. Slight apple skin in the finish.

M: Not as viscous as I was expecting, nor is it as dense as its peers. Extremely dry and chalky finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Company