Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout - Great Divide Brewing Company

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial StoutEspresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Divide Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-16-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout Alström Bros
russwbeck

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Enjoyed with nhindian. Tried side by side with the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

A: As with all the Yetis, nice sized brown head rests atop a black and opaque pour. Espresso has a nicer sized head, but the retention and lacing are very similar.

S: Smells a lot like Yeti, but with a lot more coffee. Chocolate is present, roasted malts throughout. Not a lot of booziness here.

T: Big coffee flavor here, bigger than the chocolate flavor is for the chocolate oak aged. The wood in this one, as I drink it, seems to be as prominent, and similar to how it was in the oak aged version. Sort of sticks with you throughout the drink.

MF: This one is far more bitter than the chocolate oak aged version. However, the creaminess is also gone. Same warming booziness is present.

O: While I view this one as better than the chocolate and oak aged version, none of them are as good as fresh Yeti. A little disappointed, but it is still very good. Was looking for a littler more here.

03-24-2011 03:23:45 | More by russwbeck
eat

Quebec (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks a ton to viggo for opening this aged bottle from his cellar (circa 2008-2009).

This stuff pours an evil-looking black; opaque with a head that looks fairly similar to espresso crema. Good retention and easy to create a new head with a little swirl. Some lacing.

Tons of dark roasted malt, molasses, Whoppers, brown sugar, dark chocolate. There's a touch of espresso coming out but it's mostly delicious malt.

The flavour is lighter than I was expecting; for some reason I thought this stuff would be really intense. Smooth dark, oily malt, cocoa powder, earthy hops and some subtler-than-expected espresso (though it's quality). Very smoothed out.

Feels aged; very smooth and velvety. Almost no carbonation. Maybe a little thin-bodied paired with the flavour.

Really nice sipper. I could keep drinking this until I passed out.

03-23-2011 04:24:44 | More by eat
tsatem

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Bomber into a snifter. Bottle on/best by date is indiscernible, but I think it's pretty fresh. I love the yeti labels, which is why I first bought the base beer years ago.

A: Motor oil, viscous black with a rather dark brown and persistent two finger head. Body is as about as dark as they come.

S: Delicious. Coffee is prominent, of course. Rather bitter espresso with lots of chocolate. Wonderful roasty aromas. Charred oak.

T: Right in line with the nose. Very bitter. Roasted tobacco. Lots of wood as it warms - I could barely discern the oak notes at first, and they became pretty dominant eventually. The eventual overall taste is what I would imagine a tobacco leaf to taste like, from the combination of tobacco with the oak and some spices.

M: Very smooth, creamy carbonation, and extremely (as an understatement) dry.

O: This is a really delicious beer, but the bomber was a little bit too much for me and the flavors became overpowering. I enjoyed the first sip far more than the last.

03-23-2011 02:49:12 | More by tsatem
mjsheehan08

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer looked thick and dark as it sludges out of the bottle. I have had lots of dark beers in my day, but this might be the darkest. No light comes from anywhere. Really attractive thick bubbly dark mocha head that isn't going anywhere. Some of the head does die down, but it sticks really well to the sides of the glass.

Smells fresh, a strong wood presence with some vanilla, bourbon, strong coffee and dark chocolate. A wonderful blend of all of these and I spent about five minutes just smelling it.

I get hit with a wave of strong coffee at first, which turns into a slight sweetness from the oat and vanilla notes. Finishes hop strong. The bitterness from the combination of the coffee and hops is almost cloying. There is not alot of sweetness in this beer, and it makes it's drinkability a little difficult. Overall, a really good beer but I wish I had split the bottle with someone. I will be really interested to see how this beer hold up in my cellar. I think some time will bring out some more vanilla notes that might have been hidden behind the coffee and hops.

03-21-2011 02:26:23 | More by mjsheehan08
dizknee24

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Been a good while trying to get this one. It looks dark brown almost perfectly black. A good two finger dark brown head. Smell of chocolate and espresso! Tastes amazing with a really strong espresso taste. the chocolate after taste makes me want some coffee with my chocolate. Nice and thick just the way i like it. this is a great beer. if you see it you should buy it.

03-21-2011 00:07:06 | More by dizknee24
depechemode1983

Pours black with a thick fluffy brown head with some good lacing going on. Smell is mostly of obust roasted coffee other roasted malts with only hints of dark bitter chocolate. The oak character comes in more through the taste coupled with the dark roasted coffee and a slight taste of alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with medium carbonation. Very good. Overall this is a great Coffee RIS.

03-20-2011 20:57:56 | More by depechemode1983
AwYeh

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle poured into shaker pint; thanks to Jesse13713 for splitting this bottle with me. The bottling date looks like it's from Feb 2010; not entirely sure if I'm reading right.

A: Awesome looking beer; pours an opaque dark brown/black, with three fingers of foamy, tan, oatmeal/porridge head. Tons of lacing left behind and great head retention- hard for a beer to look better than this.

S: A great smelling beer for sure; tons of roasted, chocolaty malts come through here, alongside huge portions of the oak and espresso referenced in the beer's name. Falls just short of a 5, but the beer's appearance is making every sniff I take even more enjoyable.

T: Hugely rich taste, with huge quantities of espresso and oak flavor upfront once again. Chocolate and vanilla both make appearances alongside heaps of roasted malts. Taste does suffer a bit in the middle, with many of the flavors falling out at that point, although they are restored on the finish with a lingering, bittersweet, oaky flavor. If this beer had a punch more of flavor in the middle, it would be really excellent.

M: Medium-bodied (somewhat thin for the style, this is not a chewy beer) with light carbonation; very smooth.

O: Highly drinkable for a big stout; the complexity keeps me coming back to this one, not to mention the high quality of the coffee and oak flavors present. Really enjoyable; glad I got to try this one again, and I'll certainly be returning to it in the future. The best of the Yeti series I've had so far (beating out normal Yeti and standard Oak Aged).

03-18-2011 06:01:26 | More by AwYeh
Jesse13713

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this on-tab at Ray's Place a few months ago and liked it so much I bought a bomber of it.

Appearance - Black with caramelized chocolate brown for a head. Looks very rich, fresh and full of flavor. Lacing is slightly clumpy and soapy looking; but overall quite impressive. Overall very dark brown on the verge of being black.

Smell - Strong hints of coffee and espresso of course. A slight bourbon burn on the nose as well. Definitely some noticeable and strong hints of chocolate also.

Taste - Just like when I had it on tap; huge notes of espresso with coffee flavors bouncing back and forth between different levels of robustness. A slight bourbon burn with huge hints of espresso and coffee.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - A slight bourbon burn with huge coffee notes. Overall a high quality beer that I enjoyed just as much this time as when I had it on tap. A relief in our night of pretty disappointing beers.

03-18-2011 05:56:33 | More by Jesse13713
jar2574

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Poured out of a 22 ounce bottle. Humongous 2-inch tan head over a completely black beer. No light gets through even when held directly up to bright light. Excellent lacing throughout the drinking experience.

Nice smell of roasted malts and espresso. As it heats up towards the end of the bottle you smell the alcohol, and some chocolate as well.

Tastes of roasted malts, vanilla, espresso, alcohol, plums. There's a lot of vanilla flavor in here - it's surprisingly sweet, especially as it warms up. Very good though.

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy, creamy. It's a meal in a beer - you don't find many as chunky as this one.

Very good beer but it doesn't mask the alcohol as well as some imperial stouts. I don't think I'd drink two 22 ounce bottles in a row, partly because of the 9.5% ABV but also because it's a sipping beer not a session beer.

03-18-2011 01:56:06 | More by jar2574
scottyb88

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

**This is a year old review of this beer

A- a nice thick pour with pitch black color; minimal lacing with a dark tan head that disappears fairly fast

S- surprisingly still has quite a bit of espresso and oak in the aroma but definitely faded; hints of dark chocolate of course

T- really good...the oak is still present after sitting for a year and it starts out to be a bit "oaky" but as it warms up it really fades into a great balance of the oak, with it's vanilla flavor, a tiny bit of chocolate covered cherry with some non-bitter espresso flavor and dark chocolate; the hops are still there to make sure it's not overly sweet; the oak really gives it a nice toasted flavor that you don't find in a regular imperial stout

M- decent mouthfeel, I wish it was a bit thicker, but it's still really nice; the aftertaste is good with no harsh oak flavor that lingers

D- overall it's a great, fairly complex stout, with very little detection of it's 9.5%; I haven't had this beer fresh so I'm not sure how strong the oak flavor is, but with a year on it it's really good

03-18-2011 01:30:10 | More by scottyb88
baybassboy

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz bomber, slightly chilled, and poured into a Sam Adams glass (don't sue me). Bottled 12/20/10, Poured 3/7/11

A: Same color as the full bomber. A deep, dark, opaque brown with almost a deep red at the edges and below the head. Thick mocha head you could eat with a spoon 1"+, subsides over time with medium to slight lacing.

S: Espresso is at the forefront, but also a very bittersweet chocolate. Lingering roasty smell. Warm. Becomes a sweeter overall smell with hand warmth.

T: Sweet upfront, subsiding to that bittersweet chocolateness. Espresso flavor to finish and lingers. Good carbonation and alcohol warmth.

M: Very silky, but not quite chewy. Found it hugging my gums minutes after a sip.

O: The 1 bomber I hogged was more than enough for myself. I wish i had taken the bottle's advice and had it with a breakfast burrito. I really enjoyed this beer, especially as it warmed, and can't wait to have another with some age on it... And a breakfast burrito

03-18-2011 01:00:47 | More by baybassboy
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A- Pours dark dark black. About as dark as stouts get. Has a nice frothy mocha brown head. Laces well. It looks like engine oil.

S- Oak is quite apparent from the aroma and a bit of smokiness. The aroma while potent in some ways, is balanced so well between the hops and the sweetness that it's almost muted a bit. After it warms up the coffee and chocolate become far more noticeable.

T- Hop bitterness at first . At the end there's an unmissable bitterness from both the hops and the roastiness of the espresso. There's just so much richness to this. First an immense amount of oak greets you and then some of the richest coffee comes your way, only to leave off on the espresso. Oak Chocolate Coffee Oak Chocolate Coffee Oak Chocolate Coffee. You get the idea.

I love imp stouts and I love coffee. The combination is something that just makes my world.

M- Probably a medium amount of body to it for an imp stout. It's fairly creamy and a bit silky.The finish is considerably dry and sticky. Carbonation is almost invisible, but is there and does it's job.

D- I have to give this perfection on drinkability. It almost couldn't be any easier to drink. This could be my fastest bomber yet if I let it be. The only heat I'm noticing from this is long after I've tasted it.

I want to penalize this beer for costing me $13 and leaving me wanting more, but I just can't do that. I had the original Yeti and after a quarter of it I knew that it wouldn't last long enough. The exact same thoughts are going through my head now. This is a beer that will never last as long as I want it to and also one I'll keep coming back to. I have a feeling that I'd die if I had any of the Yetis on tap.

03-18-2011 00:06:01 | More by BBP
SWMeyer4141

Served at Room Temp. Poured into Great Divide Tulip.

Overall-Pours brown, turns to black. Light brown head. Head sticks around and slowly goes away leaving a lacing on the top, almost a dark red.

Smell-Lots of coffe/espresso. Vanilla and Oak. Not getting as much as chocolate as the Yeti.

Taste-Still no chocolate, but not dissapointed. Lots of coffee, I could drink this at room temp first thing in the morning.(especially aged)

Mouthfeel-Full bodied. Standard RIS mouthfeel.

Drinkability-Coffee definitely the star, so it doesn't dissapoint. Highly drinkable for 9.50. I will continue to purchase all Yeti's.

03-16-2011 03:28:38 | More by SWMeyer4141
stonermouse

Poured the full bomber into an oversized mug.

Pours a motor-oil black, in color and consistency. A weak, light-brown head tops off the pour.

The aroma is a bit chocolatey, with a bit of a coffee bite. There's a touch of a generic hop smell as well.

Big flavor here. It's chocolate forward like the nose (and like the other Yetis I've tried). The coffee adds some dry bitterness, and quite a bit of classic coffee flavor. The dryness here is not surprising, as the dominant flavors are dark chocolate and java. This gets much, much better and flavorful as it warms, so do yourself a favor, and let it sit out of the fridge for a half-hour before pouring.

Mouthfeel is solid, but just a bit syrupy. In addition to being syrupy, it's somehow just a touch too thin. These are minor issues, though.

This is a nice, versatile, potent brew. Lots of flavor, but would seriously be suitable for breakfast as well as dessert. Typical of a Yeti brew, it's almost too dry and bitter to get through the whole thing, but I did it anyway.

03-14-2011 02:07:09 | More by stonermouse
Allpe45

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber bottled 4/2/2010
poured into a snifter

Appears pitch black with a reddish dark chocolate head, 1.5 fingers, semi aggressive pour. The head dissipates in an adequate amount of time leaving an interesting layout of lacing, like primitive cave paintings.

Espresso up front, roasty, with some malt presence. The espresso smell is very powerful. I've this in the past but don't remember the espresso smell being so strong. It smells like my local coffee shop at 7am.

Espresso takes the lead in taste as well, with malt and vanilla on the backfoot. No alcohol presence, surprisingly. It's a bit out of balance with the coffee being so strong

Thick, creamy, full-bodied. Very low carbonation, extremely smooth. This mouthfeel is exactly what I look in a big stout.

Gonna have to pace myself with this one. It's better than I remember, and the 9.5% ABV is perfectly masked

03-14-2011 01:37:45 | More by Allpe45
cmannes

Bomber poured into a Surly Stein

Appearance: Black as night, with a big foamy chocolatey head. Very slow to fade into a nice dark lacing.

Aroma: Chocolate, hint of coffee. Tiny bit of... wood? From the oak. Also, a bit of burnt toffee. Overall, a very smokey, chocolatey smell.

Taste: Sweet, chocolate, with a strong coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than I expected, but by no means bad.

Overall: While, I accept that it's an espresso version of Yeti, I think the coffee finish is a little overwhelming. Without a little patience between drinks, it really just tastes of espresso. With some patience, and a little time, the other flavors come out.

03-13-2011 00:41:26 | More by cmannes
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

From bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/11/11

*The bottling date printed on the label is 2/12/10 (I've personally cellared it for almost a year)

A: This is one evil looking Yeti - it's a total blackout. A somewhat forceful pour yields a 2.25 finger head and some killer dark chocolatey brown lacing.

S: It's like the alarm sounded and the coffee's brewing. Fresh morning dark roast and alcohol. It's a bit stuffy, and as it warms it opens up and the wood comes through.

T: It certainly needs some time, as it's tight and all wrapped up. As I let it sit, a slight bit of sweetness hits my palate. It doesn't showcase the coffee profile like I thought it would, though it is certainly present. Alcohol begins ripping through the robust char, and dark unsweetened chocolate and cigar tobacco close this one out. Given the year I've sat on this one, I should note that it is quite a bit more tannic, and certainly drier then I was expecting.

M: Pleasantly creamy, though the carbonation is a bit prodding and obnoxious given that this is an Impy Stout. As it warmed, this subsided and becamse much more pleasant.

O: This is a nice brew, and one I'd recommend. I will say that it's not my favorite Yeti one-off, but I certainly find it quite drinkable and tasty.

I should add that I liked it with some age, but found the coffee much more robust and intense when fresh. Is this one worth aging? Sure, just be patient with it and it should open up nicely.

I'm excited to see what the other one in my cellar tastes like in 365.

03-12-2011 22:50:37 | More by Rhettroactive
misfit1034

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from slightly below room temp bottle into pint. Left an amazingly fluffy head the color burnt caramel that slowly faded into a nice lacing as the glass emptied. Smells like roasted coffee and malts. Mouthfeel is a little slick and creamy and at first tasted like a shot of espresso with an almost undetectable bitter woody finish... Really like this and would recommend over most other wood/barrel aged stouts I have has...

03-12-2011 07:13:09 | More by misfit1034
Rizalini

Nevada

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Recieved in a trade from StLThrash. Thanks for the brew bro. Cheers!

A - Pours black with a creamy brown head, that disipates quickly into a minimal 1/2 finger brown head, leaving minimal lacing.

S - Espresso/coffee* hits my nose immeditely!

T - Coffee definately hits the pallete first, followed by dark chocolate note, and maybe some slight licorice hints as well, and finishes with coffee.

M - Has a medium mouthfeel, slightly syrupy. Good carbonation.

D - This beer has great drinkability! I would love to have this one again... too bad Great Divide doesn't distribute to Las Vegas.

03-12-2011 06:34:08 | More by Rizalini
UCLABrewN84

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a super thick sludge black with a nice 2 inch milk chocolate colored head that fades to a tiny cap. Sticky and frothy ring lacing on the drink down. Exactly like what a great stout should look like. Smells of freshly brewed espresso, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, some vanilla. Taste is very up front with the espresso followed up with cocoa powder, dark roasted malts, and an oak woodiness on the finish. Slight espresso/hop bitterness after each sip. Very creamy and thick in the mouth with a slight coating. Good drinkability on this rich and enjoyable brew.

03-12-2011 05:04:24 | More by UCLABrewN84
IdrinkGas

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Bottled 12/13/10.
A: Completely black. You couldn't shine a flashlight through it. A finger of creamy mocha head from a gentle pour.
S: Fresh ground coffee. Cocoa. Some hops.
T: Chocolate and a tea like hop flavor immediately. Picking up some alcohol but nothing over powering. I enjoy the espresso & hot after taste.
Big fan of this one.

03-12-2011 02:46:02 | More by IdrinkGas
BeerBuckeye

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Pours a dark, dark brown, almost black with creamy, tan head with lots of thick lacing.

S - Great aroma with scents of chocolate, roasted coffee beans, sweet vanilla, caramel malt and even a bit of alcohol. Full bodied smell

T - Definitely a strong taste of espresso up front with the bittersweet taste of dark chocolate. This beer reminds me a lot of Community Coffee, with a chicory taste. A very complex, delicious taste.

M - The beer is quite creamy that coats the throat and provides just a twinge of burn from the alcohol. Finish is nice and woody.

D - It's a sipper, for sure, but very good and one that gets better with every taste. Not at all hard to drink this on a cold winter night.

03-12-2011 01:04:58 | More by BeerBuckeye
PSUDREW

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

A: pours a wonderfull inky, black color. Dark tan head. Lots of lacing.
S: Lots of sweet, boozy coffee odors. More boozy then coffee, but it is there, with hints of chocolate
T: The espresso shines through. Honestly, I was expecting A LOT more oak, but there are only slight hints (bottle is over a year old, oddly enough). Not that it is bad, but I was expecting more out of this beer. The oak is an aftertaste, with the espresso/coco flavor very much pushed to the front. Not complaining, just saying. Solid flavor profile, but nothing that blew my mind
M: Not overly heavy, but there is a nice weight behind it
D: All in all, higher then expected

03-10-2011 03:44:34 | More by PSUDREW
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

I split a bomber with my wife tonight after a full day of work and other events.

A: Completely devoid of light and it doesn't let any shards of light pass through of any kind. The very dark, grainy one finger + head stayed somewhat frothy throughout the session.

S: A generous amount of wood was almost bourbon-like in its consistency. Tons of dark roast, chocolate, and very subdued on coffee flair.

T: Even though it was subdued on the nose, it certainly wasn't on the taste. The espresso beans hit the palate hard, but the intensity softened after a few sips once my palate warmed up to the taste. Again, the wood help lessen some of the coffee bitterness, but not by much. The finish was very bitter and drying.

M: The low carbonation was appropriate for this style, and the mocha lacing was ridiculous. Again: bitter, bitter, BITTER!

D: I like the other permutations of Yeti much better, however, this was still a very worthy entry and variation on a fantastic base beer!

03-10-2011 01:27:18 | More by Chaney
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Darkest black with a caffe americano head. Quite tight, and sticking all over the glass. This is a blaster for certain.

Strongly aromatic, with chocolate, vanilla, and coffee going head to head. No clear winner, although I think "chocolate flavored coffee" might be apt enough.

Great beer, period. Yeti is an absolute classic, aging in oak has provided a bourbon-like mellow smokiness, and the espresso is an additional, welcome complexity. Coffee, chicory, licorice, vanillin, bourbon-oakiness, and Kahlua notes come to mind.

Maybe slightly less full and pleasing than the base beer, but Espresso Yeti is still an objectively well-attenuated ale. The warmth of the alcohol presence is minimized but not completely hidden. Carbonation does wonders for keeping the palate fresh and ready for another sip.

Hell. Yes.